• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Saga of the Seven Sins - The Second Cycle

Seeker of the End

Two Thousand Club
Chapter 1.1: Blood and Sand

Throughout the city of Gem, everybody is clamoring around for a grand spectacle. House Circla is hosting a mighty gladiatorial competition, one that puts all others to shame. The Blood Diamond tournament, named for the sheer amount of carnage that soaks the sands of the arena crimson in blood, gathers dozens of people throughout the South at this illustrious event.

But there are whispers, rumors about House Trasti rising in power. The head Trasti Marlon has allowed his house to bring forth unsurpassed wealth and power, and the balance between the rivals of the Trasti, House Iblan is threatening to cause a rift. Word of mouth states the Marlon has obtained a powerful artifact that has allowed him to seize wealth and power at an exponential rate. But that is only mere speculation, or is it?

It is the day before the Blood Diamond tournament, and through some machinations of fate you all find yourselves in the same city on that fateful day.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Ah, Gem. It has been half a lifetime since I walked these streets," Viktor Vlastislav Konrad Mikhailas von Drakholdt muses as he treads a rambling path through the city. "I confess, Captain, that my feelings towards this city have always been somewhat mixed."

"How so, my lord?" The broad-shouldered man walking beside Viktor, at the center of a squad of elite bodyguards is clad in heavy armor of green jade, with a powerbow of the same material on his back. If any nobles of Gem were to see Karal Ken'ichi, they might recognize one that they had once hired... but whose loyalty is now far beyond their reach.

"It was everything I aspired to... wealth, power, Creation-wide fame, independence. And yet, at the same time, the Despot held his foot firmly on my family's neck. From what I hear, even Maxim's Exaltation was not sufficient to dislodge that boot. And for all his influence, the Despot is a petty, and terminally small-minded man, too obsessed with holding what he has to ever think of acquiring more. Such potential untapped..."

"But, I am rambling. You really shouldn't let me do that, you know, when there is business afoot,"
he says mildly. "Has there been any word from Ember and her associates?"

"No, my lord, at least nothing new. Only confirmation of what we'd heard already. If these rumors we've heard are true, what are you planning to do about the... object?"

Viktor smiles. "The same thing I do about everything that I desire, Captain. Take it. Come, I believe the place where Opal was to meet us is just ahead."

Darian sits high in the saddle as Keeva soars towards the city, the wind blowing in her face as Riku sits on her shoulder. "C'mon, lazybones! Lets get some speed!" She laughs as she gets a mental message from her griffon, more images than words, indicating that she needs to go on a diet. "Silly boy. Even with the blessings of the Maidens working for us, I still want to make sure we get there on time. Too much to do, not enough time to do it in." With the effect of her Charms helping out, Keeva is able to keep up his rapid pace for miles without tiring. Finally, the above ground structures of Gem come into view.

Before they get to the gates, Darian steers the three of them down to the ground. No need to cause more of a stir than necessary. Taking the distance in an easy lope, she pulls up short at the city gate and nods at the guards. After a few coins change hands, she finds her way to a nearby inn. Giving Keeva firm instructions not to bite the attendant, she slips off his back and stretches. Time for a drink. Then a bath. Its not like I need one, but a good soak feels so damn good. Darian heads inside, taking a moment to look about the main room, taking in the smells and sights of the place. "Barkeep, a pint of the local brew, if you would be so kind." As he busies himself behind the counter, she continues, "So, what is news? I hear that there is to be some kind of tournament to be held here? What do you know about that?"

Spending 6m from Personal Essence to activate Prior Warning.

The barkeep pours you a pint of good beer before handing it over, "The Blood Diamond is the grandest show if you want to see people fight to the death for other people's entertainment. It attracts all kinds of folks in the South, although far too many outsiders show up for most people's likings. But hey, it doesn't matter where you're from. A good fight gets everyone's blood pumping."

Opal laughs gaily and twirls, brightly coloured silks flowing around her as she tests the body of Tuatha Circla's most attractive concubine. Her fingers brush a bottle of red wine on a patio table as she passes and it vanishes, only to reappear several seconds and many steps into the throng of celebrants later as she pours it into a silver chalice before dismissing it once again. She effortlessly flows through the crowd, careful not to spill a drop, savouring the taste and the heady atmosphere of a festival in full swing. She pauses briefly, certain she's forgotten some niggling detail, irritated at its insistence upon dampening her fun. Suddenly she starts and remembers where she is supposed to be, the chalice vanishing immediately. She spins, planting both her hands on the dumbfounded man behind her, vaulting into a backflip over his head and planting a kiss on his cheek in one smooth motion. She bounds lightly across the top of the crowd towards a nearby alley, apologizing cheerfully and blowing kisses at her irate footholds. As she reaches the alley she grasps a clothesline strung between two apartments, swings a full circle about it, and releases at the apex of her upward momentum, reaching the third floor balcony with a grace which would shame the greatest acrobats of the Despot's court. From there she runs full tilt, jumping from balcony to balcony down the alleyway to reach the square in time for her meeting with Viktor, the cup appearing periodically at her lips. Suddenly she draws up short, her centre of mass shifting precipitously over the balustrade as her body continues but her head whips around to look at a brightly dyed shawl blowing on the line in the warm desert breeze. Her right hand snaps backward, chalice precariously balanced in her outstretched left arm, the shawl vanishing the moment her fingers touch it, her thumb flicking two dinars into the air from nowhere. At the last instant, as she's about to topple forward, she pushes off the balustrade and effortlessly rights herself without losing stride, the silver clattering to the the sandstone behind her. Moments later the shawl appears about her shoulders and she holds it up to catch the wind behind her as she runs.

As she reaches her destination she glances at the sun to be sure she's on time, dangling her legs over the edge of the rooftop and surveying the square below for any sign of Viktor. She finishes her drink and pours herself another, items appearing and disappearing in her palm as she searches for her gift for today. Her face lights up as she raises a beautifully cut yellow topaz with an oblong imperfection of black jade to the sun - it reminds her of his eyes.

She takes a deep drink of the offered beverage before answering. "Oh, that is a good brew. My complements. It seems that I have gotten here in good time, then, to not only witness this event but to take part in it. I hope to try my luck and see how well I do. In the meantime, I will need a room and a good meal, plus boarding for my gryffon in the stable." She pulls out her coinpurse and slides across the bar a down payment on the services she is requesting. I wonder what other Exalts will be here for this extravaganza? Time will tell soon enough. For now, time to eat!

Viktor, surrounded by his bodyguards walks into the plaza as he goes everywhere, with an aura of purpose. Even if he were not accompanied by a small army, the common folk would know better than to get in his way.

He looks about, eyes briefly flaring with white fire as he looks for Essence patterns... aha. He should have known. Who else would be sitting on a rooftop, admiring gemstones in broad daylight?

A smile comes to his face... a small, thin smile, but a genuine one nevertheless. She always could make him smile... even from that very first moment. He makes a small gesture, inviting Opal down to join him.

The barkeep of the inn raises an eye at the money, "I'm not the innkeeper, lady. I'm just the guy who gets people drunk off their asses. You'll want to speak to the lady over there and she'll arrange stuff." he nods towards the innkeeper, a lady with dark-skinned and fair hair.

Sherwood, roll Perception + Essence.

She smiles and slips from her perch, the contents of her hands vanishing, sliding down a street vendor's awning and lightly descending to the cobblestones as if it were no more effort than alighting from a carriage. She covers the distance between them at a bound, flowing sinuously around him without pause as she speaks. "Viktor, darling, look what I've found," the stone appears between her fingers, hot to the touch and shining brilliantly in the desert sun, "It's been steeping in fire essence since some long forgotten sorcerer instructed an Ifrit to prepare it for an alchemical experiment in the high First Age." She pauses, a mischievous glimmer in her eyes, "I think it perhaps more likely Venus saw how handsome your eyes were in her vaunted Loom and tried to weave one for herself. She'll never have it, now I've snatched it back for you," she adds, whispering conspiratorially, as she presses the gem into has palm and closes his fingers over it.

Renost left his dojo wiping at his brow, several students filing out of the building and rushing toward the arena. Fortunately, this time only a quarter of the students were participating in the death bouts, but such things needed to happen for things to stay in line with blueprints laid down by the House of Battles. For the time being at least, he would attempt to drink away his sorrows, as fleeting as they were. Opening the door to the nearby tavern, Renost entered under his identity as a Martial Arts Sifu, Teresu Isutaro. Stepping up to the bar, Renost would wait until the barkeep seemed free.

Darian takes the coin back. "Whoops, sorry mate. Once I finish this mug, I'll take care of that. Thanks."

[dice]5583[/dice]

Darian notices a few things, a twinge on the very infinitismal connection to the Loom of Fate. It's not her Prior Warning charm but rather something more... subtle than that. It's a feeling that fate is somehow distorted in this city. Something is terribly wrong, but you cannot feel what it is.

Renost, roll Perception + Essence.

Renost moves toward Darian, noticing the conversation with the Barkeep, to take the seat next to her, "Hey there friend, how goes your business?" Renost asked, careful not to use names and invoke paradox should she be someone other than herself for the moment.

[dice]5584[/dice]

She turns at the sound of the voice and her face lights up. "Hey! Good to see again! Pull up a seat and join me." She shifts over to make sure there is enough room for her fellow Vizer.

Renost too feels that the city feels off, for a lack of a better term. The loom isn't snarled here, you would have been informed of it a while ago if that had been the case, but there is something wrong in this city. Your sense indicate that it's coming from... a few places in the vicinity. Somewhere close, like... the town square perhaps?

As Opal finishes pressing the gem into Viktor's hand, an errant violet strand of Fate over Viktor's shoulder catches her eye. It seems oddly familiar, but she can't place it. She steps around him, staring fascinated into empty space, and reaches out to run her fingertip along it, her curiosity piqued. It makes beautiful music only she can hear as she plucks it, sending shivers down her spine. Wherever it leads, it's close, the echoes of her pawing reverberating almost immediately.

[dice]5586[/dice]

Viktor smiles indulgently, though his eyes gleam with appreciative avarice at the sight of the gemstone. "You flatter me, as always my dear. If you're not careful you might inflate my ego," he says dryly. It is rather too late for that to be a worry. "And you always find the loveliest things. The trinket is nearly as lovely as your current form. Tell me, what..."

He breaks off as her attention turns elsewhere. He watches her curiously plucking at empty air... but he knows that, whimsical as she is, Opal seldom does anything without sense behind it. "What do you see?" He looks around himself, staring with Pyrian eyes for any sign of interlopers. He makes a subtle gesture, indicating for the dematerialized demons hovering behind him to fan out and make their own search, while his human guards close ranks around the three Exalts.

Darian looks over at her fellow Sidereal. "So, are you here to participate in the tournament, or is there another reason that draws you here?"

"Sidereals," she hisses, her eyes narrowing predatorily. "One of them, or one of their pet projects is nearby. I know this song..." her voice trails off as she plucks the strand again experimentally. "Where..." she shakes her head, frustrated. She whirls back to face Viktor, "I would go hunting," she says, wistfully, glancing over her shoulder along the strand, "but I couldn't bear to part with you so soon after my return," she finishes playfully, holding herself against him briefly before releasing him to to walk alongside. "We should enjoy the festival for the evening," she suggests, playfully, pulling gently at his hand, "Or would you rather I won the grand tournament in your name, or stole you House Marlon's great 'secret treasure'?"

"I come here regularly to train fighters for the underdogs. This year its a Terrestrial Hero Style Practitioner, First Pulse Practitioner, and a Even Blade Practitioner using the variant of Master Azure Crane." Renost pauses for a moment to as he begins to sense something odd in the air. "One moment. Do you... feel that disturbance? It seems like there is some sort of outside force in the Town Square... Oi barkeep, I'd like two pints waitin for me in a few minutes I need to take a look at something." Renost turned back toward the door, carefully observing his surroundings as he made his way toward Town Square.

Activating the charm 'Prior Warning'

"Now that you mention it, yes. I thought it was just my imagination. Lets go see what's going on." As they get outside, she directs Riku to take to the air and look around. Keep an eye out for me. The little familiar chuckles in her mind. Don't I always? I still think that I deserve a raise in my salary for all the times I've kept you out of trouble.

The music of the strand revertebrates strangely in the essences sense of Opal. The loom itself is fine, but there is... some sort of distortion in the air. Something is wrong, but it is subtle enough that nobody except you seems to notice.

It had been a few years since Saif had visited the city of Gem, on a few occasions during his training he had come to this famous place to sharpen his skills with a few of his training brothers. Those days seemed a bit too far now, as the person he was back then was almost gone from his persona. But now he was back, and for completely different reasons.

Saif was dressed in long heavy robes of pale colors, ideal for those that transverse the harsh desert of the south. With his hood covering a good portion of his face, and his armor underneath the flowing robes, he felt comfortable as he walked through the crowds, occasionally stopping a passerby for directions to the main arena where blood would be shed for the tournament.

"Sidereals," Viktor says with distaste. "Hmph. That does complicate matters. Should we... no, no, best not play our hand too soon. If they don't confront us, better to let them lie until I have what I came for."

He begins walking again, slowly, starting a circuit of the square. "I was thinking of sponsoring a gladiator or two, as it happens. A bit of a wager on the side, to make our trip more interesting. You might win a bit to spectacularly, my dear... though in truth, the thought is very tempting. I do grow so very frustrated with these games and obfuscations. I find myself unable to decide whether it is more likely to draw our prey out, or scare him off... it does appeal to the gambler in me. Would you enjoy a bit of showing off what you can do?"

"As for the treasure, no. If it is what I suspect, then I wish to take it from the wretch Marlon with my own hands. That will be... rather satisfying. There was a time, when I was but a lad, that I could have killed him with my bare hands, for an insult he offered my father. Now, he may have finally given me the excuse I've been waiting for. Just an extra bit of triumph to sweeten the pot,"
he says with a cruel smirk.

"In that case I wouldn't dream of denying you the pleasure of taking it from him. Do let me know if you need a distraction," she replies, cheerfully. "As for the tournament, are you suggesting I enter in my True Form?" she asks, amused, "Much as I do love showing off for you, and remote though Gem may be, the Wyld Hunt is still quite capable of reaching such a valuable Satrapy. The last time I punched a Warstrider I broke my fist," she recalls, visibly pained. "If it would please you, and not disrupt your plans, I would find it amusing. They certainly cannot catch me," she laughs derisively. Her chalice appears again in her hand and she sips her drink as she ruminates. "As to reactions, as a generality prey that does not flee at the sight of an apex predator is rare indeed. If you do not wish to frighten them, I would suggest I assume a form less threatening and refrain from excessive displays."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back