Old Realm Translations

Brickwall

Elder Member
There are a couple instances in the Exalted books where an Old Realm alphabet is used. Books that came out before DotFA. For those who do not own DotFA, and those who don't want to bother doing the comparisons, I've translated them below.

Exalted Corebook, pp.354-355

"Kill him!"

"Dammit!"

"Not that!"

"Save us!"

Manual of Exalted Power: Lunars, p. 13

"A-ru-yo

Yi-o-ka"

(Possibly "Are you okay?" or "Are you Yioka?", though nothing in Magnificent Jaguar's backstory mentions a "Yioka".)

Wonders of the Lost Age, p. 10

Mayoigoma (though the Malfean reads it "Mayoigo", there is a "ma" syllable at the bottom)

I wonder if there was an Old Realm alphabet in the works before they even started 2e? Or maybe they just figured out what the writers had intended for the things to say, and worked it so they said that. I think it's the former, but that's a guess.

Brickwall said:

"A-ru-yo

Yi-o-ka"

(Possibly "Are you okay?" or "Are you Yioka?", though nothing in Magnificent Jaguar's backstory mentions a "Yioka".)
If this is what I'm thinking it is, the comic where Magnificent Jaguar comes out of hibernation, given the context I'd say it's "Are you okay?" as he just saved the younger Lunar from the Wyld Hunt. My book's on loan, so I can't confirm for myself that it's the comic you're referring to.

Rhapsody said:
Brickwall said:

"A-ru-yo

Yi-o-ka"

If this is what I'm thinking it is, the comic where Magnificent Jaguar comes out of hibernation, given the context I'd say it's "Are you okay?" as he just saved the younger Lunar from the Wyld Hunt. My book's on loan, so I can't confirm for myself that it's the comic you're referring to.
That is correct, and that is WHY I postulated "are you okay" instead of being totally confused.

Thank you, these are nice. Anyway, in case you are willing to continue doing that, you could translate the stuff on the side of the box that contains the DotFA books. There are seven words there written in First Age script there.

It was tough to decipher the first word. The artist has HIGHLY stylized calligraphy. But I figured out three of the syllables, and they were decidedly unusual...I had the order wrong. It was "xa-la-te", not "la-xa-te". And it fell into place easily after that, since I had a good guess where to look every time.

E-xa-la-te-de

Da-re-ma-sa

O-fa

Da

Fu-sa-ta

A-ge

Exalted: Dreams of the First Age.

It's unique and beautiful calligraphy, but hard to read if you aren't fluent, and I am not.

About the same, I'd guess.

It's interesting how the script works far better in Portuguese and Italian than it does in English.

Ok, now that you are done with that, would you translate the stuff on the Guidebook to Meru?

...Pleeeeeaaaase? :lol:

Me-ru

A

Gi-da-bu-ka

Du

Da

E-xa-la-te-de

Si-te

Meru: A Guidebook to the Exalted City

That one was really easy.

I'll get working on that inside thing next. It's Old Realm fading into Low Realm, both of which have documented alphabets. I can probably get you the text with an hour's work.

I think someone else tried to translate it but either it's different in ever picture or there's just no good shots of it.

They did say in the chapter on the script that it's been around "since the beginning of the Exalted game line". I imagine, however, that they just mean 2nd edition.

Guys, guys!

Open up your 1e Player's handbooks and compare the Low Realm syllables to the Old Realm syllables!

*Scratches chin*

Fascinating. Do we have an etymological discovery or just writing laziness here?

No, it's awesome! High and Low Realm would have evolved from Old Realm, so similarity makes complete sense!

Well, strictly speaking, Low Realm is the new name of Earthtongue, which was a created language, and did not necessarily have any more ties to Old Realm than any of the other directional tongues.

Will work on translation tonight.

Did everyone forget about the 1st Ed Abyssals book? It had what looked like Old Realm scripture in every chapter and such..

Old Realm turns out to more or less use the syllable glyphs from real-life Mayan. For example:

mayan1.gif

There are some variations and some blanks filled in, but its pretty close. You could probably use Mayan fonts for a lot of it.

I'll be impressed if ever find one of the comics with a battle scene has a Solar crying "SPOON!" as he/she leaps into battle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back