• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Of Black Waters - A Witcher 3 inspired, dark fantasy RP [dead, we are restarting]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
[class=biggie] width: 100%; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:13px; color: #1d1b15; font-weight:100; display:flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; height: 100%; [/class] [class=bigcenter] background: RGBA(16,19,20,0.91) ; text-align: left; margin: 0 auto; padding:10px; color:#eed9cd; font-weight:400; border: 5px solid #0b2427; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; padding:20px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:90% [/class] [class=bigcenter2] text-align: center; padding:30px; margin: 0 auto; color:#eed9cd; max-width:900px; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:100%; clear: both; [/class] [class=left] padding:20px; color: #e2e8e5; box-sizing: border-box; width:30%; float: left; [/class] [class=right] padding: 20px; box-sizing: border-box; color: #e2e8e5; width: 65%; float: left; max-height: 700px; overflow: auto; margin-left: 10px; border-bottom:1px dotted #d68b5e; font-size: 14px; line-height: 22px; [/class] [class name=bg maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px[/class] [class name=bigcenter maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=bigcenter2 maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=left maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; float: none; width: 90%; text-align: center;[/class] [class name=right maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; max-height: 100%; float: none; width: 90%[/class]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=bg]
[div class=bigcenter]
Alrick Gottzmann
"What hope is there for man, when their greatest champions are no better than the monsters they hunt?"

[div class=left]
Alrick.jpg

■ ■ ■
With: His likely murderers
Mention: Archie Archie Whisker Whisker BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda King Sundew King Sundew KingHalliwell KingHalliwell The Gunrunner The Gunrunner mothspit mothspit

■ ■ ■

[/div][div class=right]
Just as he finished speaking on their need to act, yet a further distraction was added as a diminutive excuse of a man who had decided that it was a good idea to expel his breakfast on the boots of one of the most dangerous looking people in the region. Even Alrick had to crack a grin at that, watching Gwyn restrain herself from eviscerating the man on the spot. Despite the amusement of it all, Alrick did tense when he saw her instinctively reach for one of her blades in response to this unfortunate happening. If that was her first response to such a minor nuisance, he didn't relish idea of what she would do to more severe slights. While he chuckled now, he wouldn't be letting any of his new 'companions' brutalize commoners at their whim. Even if they were as pathetic a specimen as the one now before him. "You certainly have an interesting way of introducing yourself sir, I think I'll be making your acquaintance from a distance if you don't mind."

Pathetic almost didn't even encapsulate what he saw before him, the man looking as if he had just escaped a horrific battlefield. The longer he looked over him, a surge of unease began to swell within his chest, as memories began to flow through him. Memories of other villagers with similar looks of terror looking upon him. Instinctively the ex-knight looked away, producing a flask from beneath his hunter green cloak from which he took a long swig from. Getting inebriated before a fight wasn't necessarily a wise decision, but a necessary one if he didn't wish to be overcome with the past. Still, he did his best to listen even as he looked elsewhere. It seemed the lord of this place had even taken to sending peasants to do his work, when it was his duty to guard them. Even now the best he could do was hire various vagabonds to try instead. A monster of another kind. If only someone was paying for his head as well.

For now this provided useful information and yet a further task, more lives to save. As if they weren't already dead, but Alrick didn't have heart to tell the man. At the very least he could return them from a proper burial, pay or no. Before the man even finished speaking however the the blonde shit talker was at it again, having procured a few torches for the journey ahead. Before he could start up again a paper seemingly procured from nowhere gracefully smacked into his face. Rather than take a look at this strange parchment, Fletcher quickly took to avoiding any further delays. Even if said delay could provide crucial information to their mission. While he could respect initiative, Alrick had the feeling this was more about taking the route that required the least bit of effort. Gwyn at least had the sense to look over this message from the heavens. Reading her expression, he could tell it was nothing good. Moving to look over her shoulder, Alricks own eyes widened at what he had read. "Large bird my ass." Was all he had to say. Certainly he was expecting something more than a rather angry rooster, but a harpy? Had the Black Waters truly taken such a hold here?

Unfortunately this revelation didn't do anything to divert some of the group from their more direct, thoughtless approach. The headsman joined Fletcher in his call to action, eager to be a part of this vanguard. His further joking about selling these lost men into slavery made Alrick grimace, spitting at the ground near the mans feet. To jest about something so abhorrent made him sick, his fingers tensing around the haft of his hammer. Easy now, its just a joke. A piss poor joke.

Unfortunately even Gwyn was swept up by Fletcher, goaded surprisingly easy by his teasing insult. Was that really all it took? At the very least Kaykavus had something resembling a plan. Barely, but it was better than nothing.

For a moment he considered letting them all just wander off to be killed. The world wouldn't miss a few more sadistic, selfish pricks taken from the world. But the warrior woman Ehina caused him to rethink his actions. If those fools did succeed, there was no chance they'd be sharing the wealth. And in truth, he was concerned as to what other trouble they would cause along the way. Letting out an audible sigh, he turned to what seemed to be the more reasonable of the group.

"You bring up a fair point m'lady. I sincerely wish you hadn't though as I now feel the need to accompany them. If by some twisted luck they do succeed I need to make sure they don't hoard the profits for themselves. Not to mention what they may do to the peasants in need of rescue. I have a feeling they won't return if a more profitable alternative arises. Find out as much as you all can and be quick. I'll do what I can to keep them in line. May the Waters be far from your steps." Giving a nod to them, he turned to catch up with Fletchers group.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
It didn't take long for Alrick to catch up thankfully, slowing down to a brisk walking pace as he rejoined them. Fletch didn't seem to waste anytime however as he continued to prod at Gwyn, quite happy with the fact that his words had garnered such a reaction. "I'd be careful boy, you might be biting off more trouble than you can chew with her." Truly Alrick couldn't have picked a more volatile group, as the young Blondie incessantly poked at anyone he could to be amused. And with Gwyn's reaction to the poor sod who had thrown up on her feet, this likely wouldn't end well.

And then the reason for why he joined this group in the first place arose. Far more quickly than he even could have anticipated. At the very least he thought they would have waited an hour before the backstabbing began. You have to much faith in people, you should have learned by now. Baldur wasn't one for half measures either, as he had already planned on how to ensure the other group wouldn't be able to get a hand on the corpse, completely cutting them off from any type of reward. But that wasn't the worst of it. Oh no, as the bastard spoke of how to sell the people they were to rescue into slavery. It came off his tongue as if it was the most natural course of action.

One of the more noble looking folk, Shia he believed, was at least not taken by this plan. He did his best to explain why this wasn't work. It was a logical counterpoint, but Alrick was not satisfied with it. Not in the slightest. His blood was boiling, something deep within calling for blood to be spilled here and now for this planned sin. It was a rather more visceral reaction than he had expected, pushing it down as best he could. After all, they couldn't complete this job if they started killing each other.

"Shia has the right of it, but allow me to make things clear Baldur. I won't make a moral argument, as clearly you have none. Quite simply if you try to betray our companions or sell of these peasants, I will break you and leave you as bait for the harpy." There was no real vitriol in his voice, nor did Alrick even bother to look at the mountain of a man. It was all matter of fact, just as his own sick comments had been. It was more than likely that Shia and himself would be outnumbered on this decision, and if that was the case they would likely both die. But death was preferable to watching this travesty take place. "So just take the money and walk away headsman, or I'll be slaying two monsters this day."

While Alrick continued to walk on calmly, there was a tension to him now. He was as ready as he could be should the giant decide to press the issue. If he could win the fight, Alrick wasn't sure. Perhaps he was a knight once, but those skills had left him years ago, and strength was clearly in the other party's favor. But justice had to be done, as pointless as the effort seemed to be.

"Does anyone else have any cute ideas? I'd like to get a tally of how many skulls I need to crack before the end of the day." There was a bit more levity in the way he asked this, but it was a sincere question. Alrick needed to figure out just how outnumbered he was. A gloom settled on him as he prepared for whatever was to come. How was anyone to survive the Black Waters when even greater evil already lay within the hearts of men?

[/div]
[div class=bigcenter2]

And yet, unworthy as I am, I must endure. I must fight until the dawn breaks this unending night, lest it swallow me whole.”
[/div]
[/div]

[/div]
[/div]

[class=biggie] width: 100%; max-width:1200px; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:12px; color: #fff; font-weight:100; background: #000 [/class] [class=whut] background: #000;[/class] [class=handsomedevil] background: #262626; text-align: left; width:32%; float:left; color: #fff; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speakeasy] letter-spacing: 3px; word-spacing: 2px; border-bottom: solid 10px #47302e; font-size:14px; background: #262626; padding:10px; box-sizing: border-box; color: #fff; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speaks] color: #fff; padding:15px; text-align: left; float:right; width:65%; background: #262626; font-size:14px; line-height:1.4; letter-spacing:1px; padding:20px; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class=tip]background-color: #47302e; padding: 10px; box-sizing: border-box; margin-left: 15px;[/class] [class name=tip maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=handsomedevil maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=whut maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 0px; width:97%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=biggie maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speaks maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speakeasy maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box;[/class]
[div class=whut]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
Baldur Kloss[/div]

[div class=handsomedevil]

d5031c0435289bf25329880a12a6a081.jpg

[/div][div class=speaks]

The Forest

It didn' t take long after Baldur proposed his genius business venture that two interlopers came to interject. It was regrettable their group was expanding - now each member's cut would be paltry.

"Except the part where some of us are likely unwilling to be potentially chained, hanged, and turned into pig manure over three half-dead farmers and a measly hundred or so coin profit. Ah, and have you forgotten that we need the farmers as part of the deal for payment? And, of course . . . " one man interjected whose name escaped Baldur, or perhaps he had not met him.

“if Schift decides the letter was followed enough to pay up at all.”

He brought up two points that Baldur had not considered at all. Was a rescue really part of this mission? He didn't bother listening to Devon, since he knew from past experience that Devon himself often added terms to contracts after making them. The second point was far more troubling - he knew that Devon was keen on not paying people, so the group would have to meet him at a certain venue where they outnumbered him. Unlike with executioner's work, the kind of work that mercenaries did generally didn't lend to repeat business, so this man was right in pointing out that Devon had no incentive to pay them at all.

"Do we?" Baldur asked, clearly disappointed.

"How regrettable. Ten pence per rescue it is" he added, clearly growing increasingly disheartened by the moment as more and more fellows joined their group and the prospect of a living payment declined by the second. Now, there were six in their group, bringing everyone's cut down to about 80 coins.

Before Baldur could add another thought, antoher man approached - the one who always looked sad and had a bunch of scars. Perhaps reason to be sad, thought Baldur, but perhaps reason not to. If one knew his wounds were shortly to make him die, wouldn't that convince him to live out his remaining days happily and to the fullest?

"Shia has the right of it, but allow me to make things clear Baldur. I won't make a moral argument, as clearly you have none. Quite simply if you try to betray our companions or sell of these peasants, I will break you and leave you as bait for the harpy. So just take the money and walk away headsman, or I'll be slaying two monsters this day."

The man started, not even looking at Baldur. The executioner was used to little (in relativity) men saying things like this to him in bars, in exactly the same tone. Having grown up with his stigma since childhood, he simply assumed that it was the normal way that people spoke to one another. Lords and bailiffs who did business with his father and he were the only ones who spoke with professional respect, but Baldur assumed that was because they were lords. If anything surprised him, it was the level of comraderie - others would say normalcy - with which this group treated him until now, but in his mind again this was simply because adeventurers were different kinds of people.

"Does anyone else have any cute ideas? I'd like to get a tally of how many skulls I need to crack before the end of the day." the scar-man added.

Baldur responded to these words as he usually did, by leaning in.

"Yes, I have one"

"How about you take back your threat to murder a member of our group? We can debate ideas. Some of us might think that some ideas are... chicken shit" he added, borrowing Fletcher's words.

"But we are all travelling in a dark, secluded wood together, and our lives depend on each other when we fight this beast. There is only one line I will not cross, and that is killing a man who is supposed to be working with me. It would be reassuring, I think to all of us, that you say the same"

Interactions:
BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda , mothspit mothspit , idalie idalie Keidivh Keidivh Whisker Whisker ... Group 1
[/div]
[/div]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
"That's not so bad!"
[/div][/div]
[/div]

Valoria
Mood: Curious
Interactions: King Sundew King Sundew , and all
With: Ehina, Alexi, Addam, Arawn, Rickard
Mention: The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford idalie idalie RayPurchase RayPurchase

Lori was less than pleased to have been critiqued by the circus-freak of a tall man, but nonetheless kept her composure and merely rolled her eyes. The conversation, and situation, had moved on anyway to a whole rolling ball of events. A small man, bruised and vomiting; a letter, straight into the blond rogue’s face-- cue Lori, nearly laughing. But the fact that things had progressed so quickly only confirmed her suspicions of how preternatural this bird job was.

More so when she had been one of the last ones to snatch the flying letter, and upon reading with feverish eyes, did she fully grasp the weight of the situation. Harpy. The name hit her like a ton of bricks and Valoria took a moment to wrack her brain, searching for the name. Harpy. Harpy. It sounded so familiar, and she was sure that there was something beyond being a creature of bird and woman.

The other important detail was whoever this Tybalt was. Had he delivered the letter himself? Did he have a courier? Her gaze tracked the scene as the others squabbled amongst themselves, but she saw nothing out of the ordinary. No fleeing figure. No mysterious breeze.

Before she knew it, the little man who had stumbled into their group was leading half off in one direction. Lori opened her mouth to interject, or to reject the idea, but she snapped her maw shut before anything could slip out.

“Thanks to this small smelly man and a strange letter falling from the sky, we’ve just entered into a horrible balancing act. Like most of you, I imagine, I need that money, even if it’s a measly sum when split between this many people. The few that just rushed off into the forest, impulsive, reckless, without consideration, they’re the type of people that are almost certainly not going to share the pot if they succeed. But without a plan they could just as easily walk into the same trap as this man’s brother and the other farmers. Get themselves killed. Gathering more information could, in fact, help us defeat this harpy if we’re willing to risk taking our time,” said a blonde-- female this time-- who seemed to have her shit together. Another lump within this smoldering mass of a misfit group, but at least Lori figured that if the others were off sauntering to their unfortunate end, the ones left behind would be worth something. Lori nodded to her, rubbing the wood on her staff in thought.

No, I agree,” she locked eyes with the female offering a dignified nod in approval; she could count on Lori’s backing. “If we have our heads at least semi-screwed on, rather than charging headfirst, we’ll have more of a chance of survival. I know of the Harpy, but I can’t quite remember what I’ve read of them-- my mother kept a creature manual, you see-- so any kind of memory resurfacing would be good. I’m sure the rest of you could gather an idea from the townspeople as well.” She looked around, sizing up those around her: Stinky, in his broad glory; the purple horned man, who very well could have insight of being ‘not-normal’; Ser Addam; the blonde, Ehina was her name; and the joking knight who’d swept into reassure Addam. Perhaps not the headfirst that the other group had had, Lori was willing to suspend her disbelief. Perhaps, perhaps, the people around her would have some contribution. A worthy one, at that.

The others would sooner slit our throats than share the load, and I don’t intend to walk blindly into that, however. I say we let them break their arms or whatever these Harpy intend to defend their nests with, and then we come in for the rescue. They owe us, we take the 500, and then we go our separate ways. Sounds good?” She looked around to the others, holding out her hands to gauge any kind of resistance. There’d be few to any, spare the pure hearted soul among them; whoever it may be. Everyone wanted their pay, and they wanted to move on. Lori did, at least, and was already exhausted by the amount of teamwork she’d have to do.

Giving the others a moment to speak their peace, she disregarded anything they said and began to move off toward the slanted farmhomes, down the hill of the village. Toward the forest, where the others were going, but a bit off. She watched them disappear, narrowing her eyes, and wondered if she’d have to make a little… check, perhaps, on them later.

It wasn’t as if anyone would know the cat was her.

She ran her tongue over her teeth, mind already moving to the topic of the missing farmers. If they weren’t alive, was the other group really heading to their own death? Would that make her bad, for allowing them to do so without a cry of opposition? No, she postulated, hardly know them. They’re strangers, and they’ll kill us for that money. It’s safer for me this way. She had to be thinking of herself anyway, in times like these.

The first thing she noticed, coming upon the farms, was how much Devon had underestimated the state of the crops. They weren’t just covered in stinking feces-- they were literally decimated by this icky goo. The ground seemed poisoned, and the closer she got, the more it stank. Lori raised a sleeve to her nose, recoiling as she advanced.

A woman sitting outside, old and bent at the back, rose when she saw the group arriving. Her gaze stuck on the man with purple skin, but she regarded the lot of them. “Come to look at our stinkin’ crops? They’s beyond help, eff yoo’re curious.” Then her gaze flickered to Lori’s staff.

Lori looked at the others, furrowing her brows. She looked back at the woman, crossing her arms. “What’s wrong with them? There’s some type of… ick. I don’t think I’ve seen a thing like it.

The old woman nodded, sucking in her teeth as she hobbled toward them. “Dunno, dun care to figure it out. That rotted bird, damned thing, I’s seen it with my eyes. Bloody creature, spewing all over. Both ends! Eff… yoo figure is got two, anyway,” the old lady snorted out a laugh, and then sneered at her soiled land. A frown settled on her face. “Theys all we got to sell from. Harda make paymens when yoo’ve no way to farm out.”

Lori bit her cheek, moving back to stand with the others.

codedbycrucialstar

[class=biggie] width: 100%; max-width:1200px; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:12px; color: #fff; font-weight:100; background: #000 [/class] [class=whut] background: #000;[/class] [class=handsomedevil] background: #262626; text-align: center; width:30%; margin: 0 auto; float:left; padding:10px; color: #140033; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speakeasy] letter-spacing: 3px; word-spacing: 2px; border-bottom: solid 10px #47302e; text-align: center; font-size:14px; background: #262626; padding:30px; color: #fff; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speaks] color: #fff; padding:15px; text-align: left; float:right; width:65%; background: #262626; font-size:14px; line-height:1.4; letter-spacing:1px;[/class] [class=tip]background-color: #47302e; padding: 10px; box-sizing: border-box; margin-left: 15px;[/class] [class name=handsomedevil maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=whut maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 0px; width:97%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=biggie maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speaks maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speakeasy maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class]
[div class=whut]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
Kaykavus Nadir[/div]

OYcgSsv.jpg

[/div][div class=speaks]

Fletcher holds the torch out for convenience's sake, and Nadir takes one of the spares for himself. The blonde man can talk... and talk. It is the thought that lingers in his mind, even while inspecting the map. It isn't that he feels the need to comment, it is the manner in which he speaks. Kaykavus chuckles to himself - The nature of it is a minor grating, and then only because he has seen it before. Men who can talk for a long time while saying very little. It is an apt skill of talkers, especially mischievous ones. He still wonders if it is a strategy they use naturally, or consciously. One may never know.
"Know this: if you could aim as fluently as you delay getting to the point, you could hit the moon and stars." Kaykavus looks to the blonde as he says this, slapping his hand on the man's shoulder with a chuckle - A gibe at Fletcher's expense, though not an unfriendly one. "I wonder, when you count, do you have to introduce the numbers first? 'It does begin as one, indeed, then such followed after one is absolutely two.'" He chops out a short laugh, before looking back to the aptly described 'child's drawings.'

"Well, if you'd like to 'lead the way', my good fellow, you might want to out-pace the impressive woman who is clearly not a chicken shit." The words break Kaykavus from his humours, and he looks to the woman who has begun marching off into the forest.
"Yes. Apparently I do." He breaks from Fletcher's company, and quickly makes his way to Gwyndilin's side, "Hold it, fool. You do not know the way." Kaykavus comes to her right, holding the map out in her view. The torch's blaze keeps the details illuminated in the night. "Here, look - We must follow the path to here, yes? As terrible as this map is, it is clear that this arrangement of trees are to help guide us there." The details are delivered in the same tone as his insult, as if both are merely stating his view of the facts. "And I believe... hm. The bird would be best fought with trees to cover us, but we will see what there is to work with." With his piece said, he increases his pace in an attempt to take the lead. It is quick, and consistent. From a man both quite used to travel off the beaten path, and the stamina to make better use of his familiarity.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Kaykavus peers over the details of the map. They have entered the forest, but are not walking long before the giant makes a proposition: Return with the bounty, burn the remains, defame the second group, and sell the boys into slavery. Additionally, a proposition that none of the group murders each other. It's incredibly blunt, and the idea earns him no small amount of vitriol from two new arrivals - Shia argues the folly of the plan, the name of which Nadir would not know if not for the second of the additional comrades: A large man, brandishing a hammer which hangs over his shoulder - His response is far less of an argument, and instead a threat. A simple solution from a simple weapon, he muses, and the thought pulls his mouth to a slight smirk. Baldur voices his offence to the threat quite plainly, announcing his own moral disagreements.

Kaykavus grunts, not pulling his eyes from the map - He continues to lead as he speaks, more focused on the path than what has become a squabble,
"You're as blunt as your hammer, and Shia has made an argumentative mistake. If we will not be payed at all, then my incentive is to steal the money. Failing that, well, perhaps selling the farmers is the sensible choice... If I assume we can avoid witnesses." He glances back for a moment, the dark holes of his helmet peering over the two. Even with the torch, the light does not reach his eyes, - his face remains chainmail and shadowed slits. He inspects them quickly: First the man with the hammer, evidently a warrior of experience on account of the scars; the other is a man with near-pristine armour, something that could fetch a good price. Kaykavus tilts his head - it is a suit that has likely not seen much combat, common among nobles. A curious fight it would be: Nobles have varying levels of skill, but generally speaking experience is key; for the other man, Nadir does not relish the thought of a hammer 'cracking' his 'skull.' He looks forward again, directing the others towards a slight shift in direction.

"I used to think like you. Do you know what I think about now? How much I hate moldy bread, and how little a farmer's well being fills me. We can be your villains, but do not think your evil men die as they do in stories." His tone is dry, yet somehow balancing the air of being derisive, condescending, and threatening all at once. He understands the two's reservations. In truth, though he refuses to acknowledge it, he even respects them for it. However Nadir will not see himself as the evil man in the situation. Merely... Huh.[/] In that moment of thought, he fails to find a word for it. In reality, he has food, and enough money to buy more. There are other towns to look for work. He is not desperate, it would merely be uncomfortable. The truth is, he has been traveling for some time, and going another day without additional coins would be a frustration. That's what the farmer's lives are worth to him...

In that moment of thought he sees a pair of miniscule, white dots in the far distance. Nadir stops, squinting as he attempts to understand what he is looking at. Too low to be stars, and close to the ground... like eyes. Then, as soon as they appeared, they are gone. He nearly turns to the others, ready to ask if anyone else saw what he did, but decides against it. Stars. It must be stars. He shakes his head and moves on.

[/div]
[/div]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]You will remember.[/div][/div]

[/div]

Archie Archie Keidivh Keidivh Whisker Whisker BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda

Last edited:
1.jpg Gwyndilin, having poised herself at the head of the group with a handful of miscreants in tow, craned her head to see the exchange between the man Kaykavus, and Fletcher, one taking the map and the other keen enough to follow on his own. Soon enough, Gwyn heard the faint, rippling 'thumps' of various footsteps behind her as two sets of groups defined themselves-- Those going after the beast, and those trying their luck at extra coin. The latter was hardly of any consequence to her-- The sooner they render this harpy to nothing but cinders, as one of the younger men suggested, the sooner her heart might yet calm itself. To be knocked from the sky before taking the final blow; Gwyn wasn't as skilled in that effort, but could throw a dagger with confident accuracy, if given the opportunity. Though, it certainly didn't help that Fletcher, not satisfied with his initial goading remarks, had positioned himself close behind, carrying with him a new verbal arrow shot her way.

"Gwyn. Gwyn—do you even know where you're going? Kay has the map,"

"Perhaps I don't," She threw back over her shoulder, a flat, unwavering look of foolhardy stoicism greeting him, "Perhaps I'm walking into certain death, if only to escape your incessant ramblings."

Her walk was not unlike that of most men-- Shoulders pulled back, her head raised, and heavy, determined footsteps. 'Delicate' described almost nothing about her, and it translated just as blatantly, a stark contrast to the other women of their collective company. Poor of cloth, most of her attire was held together with simple stitching and worn armour-- Hardly enough defense for a creature of this supernatural origin. But, Gwyn was a fighter, and reasonably quick; Evidently, not quick enough, as both Fletcher and Kay soon came to either side of her, the latter thrusting a map into her field of view.

"Hold it, fool. You do not know the way." Kay uttered, soon explaining the state of the terrain to her. Funny word, that; 'Fool.' His tone didn't indicate any ill-intent, yet it was a word she was all too familiar with. A fool she might be, in many ways, and he might not have intended offense, but Gwyn found herself stifling a rather incredulous set of insults. Though, seeing no cause to argue, she merely inclines her head to him, lips pressed into thin, annoyed smile, allowing him to take the lead with a slow of her step and a bow of her head, "By all means."

Big mistake, it seemed, as this gave Fletcher the opportunity to test her patience another time, having taken to her left.

"--and please don't think for a moment I consider you a 'chicken shit'. I'm not that stupid. I'd merely prefer to incite action than sit around listening to people plan about planning."
Fletcher said, matter-of-factly. "That's terribly boring, wouldn't you say?"

"Do you do that often?" She wondered aloud, her head turning to take stock of his expression-- One of mischief. A look that she was not exempt from herself, but he seemed less concerned with the situation at hand than anyone else. She had all but outright ignored the tail end of his provocation, brushing off the question with a dismissive wave of her hand, "Incite, I mean. Because-- and don't feel hurt by this, darling-- It's about as charming as the vomit on my heels."

Smile indeed she did, but a tiresome grin of condescension, and a slight undertone of frivolity. Internally, her thoughts were far too vast and overreaching to engage in this kind of banter-- What with a murderous bird on the loose, and all-- But Fletcher did offer a springboard with which to vocalize her frustrations. He was easy on the eyes, too, and that was always a bonus. During another time, perhaps after the job was done, she would entertain his mischievous intentions. Assuming they both walked away from this ordeal unscathed and alive.

"I'd be careful boy, you might be biting off more trouble than you can chew with her." Came another voice, this one of tall, broad stature and carried with him a hammer.

"My father would be inclined to agree with you." She retorted, the man getting no more than a small chuckle out of her before he shut down the plan of the younger gentlemen-- Talking of kidnapping and slave trade. Surprised that one only a handful of years younger than she would suggest something so heinous, only for him to beg the assurance from the rest of them of no plans of betrayal. Oh, the sheer irony of it all. Gwyns dark eyes rolled in their sockets, cursing internally whatever cosmic entity pulled the strings of fate and brought them together. This night was going to be a long one, indeed. To make matters worse, the man that had only just taken the helm of their operation was now agreeing with this hellbound plan, purely for the sake of greed. Despite his plan being torn to shreds by the lot of them, including a noble that had joined their ranks, he was unbothered, and plainly laid out his ambitions should things go awry.

Now there was something she could relate too, after all. The greed. Gwyn knew all too well it's consequences, and seeing man so easily state these intentions, with little regard for his own moral purity, or the well being of those around him.. It made her skin crawl. She wasn't a saint, but there were lines even she wouldn't cross. Not anymore. Not after losing everything that mattered to her.

"I believe," Gwyn interjected, her tone abruptly filling with a flavorful vitriol and scathing cadence, she gestured between Kay and Baldur with an open palm, "That you ask too much of strangers. Make no mistake, if you compromise our efforts, or you stand in my way, you will be cut down, and your corpses will be less than a footnote as far as history is concerned. I would only expect the same from those that don't know me. But this.. plan, if you could even call it such? A surefire way to meet an early grave, either by our hand or your own hubris.

"Evil people do die, Kaykavus. Just not physically. If you'd like to die only in theory, consider staying the fuck away from me."

She spoke like someone with experience in the subject, and she was, albeit unknowingly to the rest of them. Suddenly Fletchers company became all the more appealing, and Gwyn looked between him, Alrick, and Shia expectantly, offering a look of solidarity in the low torchlight for each. She would much rather tolerate the teasing antics of someone not so morally bankrupt, and began marching alongside them further into the wood.

Mentions: BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda The Gunrunner The Gunrunner Archie Archie Keidivh Keidivh Whisker Whisker

[class=biggie] width: 100%; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:13px; color: #1d1b15; font-weight:100; display:flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; height: 100%; [/class] [class=bg]background-image: url(http://dndspeak.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/fantasy_forest_by_renanrdgs-d7wt6hq.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-size: cover; background-attachment: fixed; padding:30px; width: 100%; display:flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; height: 100%; [/class] [class=bigcenter] background: RGBA(11,11,12,0.9) ; text-align: left; margin: 0 auto; padding:10px; color:#eed9cd; font-weight:400; border: 5px solid #361316; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; padding:20px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:90% [/class] [class=bigcenter2] text-align: center; padding:30px; margin: 0 auto; color:#eed9cd; max-width:900px; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:100%; clear: both; [/class] [class=left] padding:20px; color: #e2e8e5; box-sizing: border-box; width:30%; float: left; [/class] [class=right] padding: 20px; box-sizing: border-box; color: #e2e8e5; width: 65%; float: left; max-height: 700px; overflow: auto; margin-left: 10px; border-bottom:1px dotted #d68b5e; font-size: 14px; line-height: 22px; [/class] [class name=bg maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px[/class] [class name=bigcenter maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=bigcenter2 maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=left maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; float: none; width: 90%; text-align: center;[/class] [class name=right maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; max-height: 100%; float: none; width: 90%[/class]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=bg]
[div class=bigcenter]
Fletcher Niles Cambria
"What's the worst that could happen—I die? Been there, done that. Anyways, who wants to get drunk and do crimes?"

[div class=left]
e913710f6015223e585107954c676f4e-1.jpg

⸸ ⸸ ⸸
With: mothspit mothspit The Gunrunner The Gunrunner Archie Archie KingHalliwell KingHalliwell Whisker Whisker Keidivh Keidivh
Mood Music:
Billy Idol - Dancing With Myself

Quest:
A Rather Large, Foul-smelling Bird
[Path 1: To Boldly Go...]

⸸ ⸸ ⸸

[/div][div class=right]
"Know this: if you could aim as fluently as you delay getting to the point, you could hit the moon and stars," said the man shrouded in armor. Fletcher cackled at this, finding amusement, especially at the slap of his shoulder. This one, he liked. He seemed to take action, was specific with his words, had sense about him, and wasn't beyond a sort of merriment. The pale thief could respect all of these attributes, and he did. Kaykavus Nadir had won that from him, and it hadn't taken very much at all. Sadly, that respect would dwindle once the slavery topic crept into the folds of their shared exodus.

"If only," Fletcher said through a cheeky smile, half-serious and half-joking. He was quite good at flinging blades, however, if he could wield them like he talked incessantly, he'd be a master at it. Kaykavus had a point.

"I wonder, when you count, do you have to introduce the numbers first? 'It does begin as one, indeed, then such followed after one is absolutely two.'"
"Sadly, yes," this was said through a sly grin, "You've figured me out good ser—congratulations." There was no facetiousness to be had, simply amusement.

"Perhaps I don't," Gwyn said to the pale thief, brimming with confidence and palpable annoyance, "Perhaps I'm walking into certain death, if only to escape your incessant ramblings." This warranted the small grace of a smile from the thief, who did not miss her broad stride beyond her broad words. He enjoyed women who held their heads high and took none of his particular brand of shit.

"Hold it, fool. You do not know the way." Oh, she'll certainly not enjoy being branded a fool, he thought to himself. He wondered just how far they could push her before she grew red with fury. He may have very well enjoyed seeing her thrive in anger. Double points if she ended up slapping someone upside the cranium; they'd deserve it, and it would prove humorous, even if it were the irritating thief himself.

"Do you do that often?" Fletcher stroked his chin contemplatively as Gwyn spoke, "Incite, I mean. Because-- and don't feel hurt by this, darling-- It's about as charming as the vomit on my heels."

"I do—and don't feel 'incited' by this, darling,"
he mimicked her phrasings, "but I'd be happy to linger at your heel," with that he cast her a playful wink, "Just kidding." He wasn't.

"I'd be careful boy, you might be biting off more trouble than you can chew with her."
"I like trouble, my good fellow. And cutting my teeth on it is a path to amusement, no matter the results,"
he said to the man attempting to warn the 'boy'. How arrogant.

"My father would be inclined to agree with you." He wondered where that idea came from, but tucked it away, behind his ear, to think on later. Curious.

Fletcher was also a curious sort. Once you understood him, you understood him. He was no viper, no foul, perched gargoyle. No thing to be unraveled. He was as he was, and once you knew the joke, you knew the man. However, something in the back of his skull told him otherwise. Perhaps it was the obfuscated memories. He couldn't say, except that he disagreed with his mind on that front.

It seemed to disagree back. How unusual.

⸸ ⸸ ⸸

"We should all agree on what to do when we've killed the harpy." Baldur's sentence had commanded his attention, but Fletcher was a tad slow to orient himself to facing the giant of a man. For you see, he had already begun drinking. The map that detailed the possible palace of the fearsome half-woman pheasant exposed a great distance between where they were and where they'd need to be. Well, at least he thought as much; it was a 'bad map', as their self-appointed leader (who was still not particularly leading) had expressed. For this reason, Fletcher felt more than comfortable imbibing. Also, he was fairly carefree, bordering on dangerously so. Booze it is, then.

An expensive, gilded flask (borrowed) was gently grasped in one hand, as the torch was loosely held in the other. Bottle to lips, head snapped back, Fletcher nearly missed Baldur's increasingly concerning plan of action as he squinted through the caustic alcohol.

"We should take its head to Devon as soon as possible and inform him that the other group abandoned the mission, so we each get 125 coins"

"The harpy's corpse must be burned so that the other group isn't able to slice off a piece for themselves. Meanwhile, one of us should take the boys to the river and hold them in a boat, if they are still alive."
Fletcher knocked back another stringent mouthful. He was unsure why they'd want to take the boys to the river, as he was convinced 'the boys' were quite dead. Furthermore, why the river? He would soon get his answer. However, at this juncture, he was doing nothing aside from smiling like a self-satisfied cat.

"The other three will rendezvous at the boat, and we will go downriver to sell the boys into slavery. We must divide the spoils from both income sources evenly between us." Fletcher continued to nod, until Baldur's words slapped him upside the skull as if the Executioner had done it with his own open, huge palm.

"Pardon?" he asked with a snort, gesturing with his flask, "...would you be so kind as to...repeat that?" Baldur apparently was still speaking, with Fletcher narrowing one full eye at the quite tall, quite insane man standing before him, speaking pure madness. For Fletcher to consider something mad, it had to be truly, truly mad. Considering it was mad to drink before fighting a 'Harpy', especially so.

"We must then skip town, as the other group may attack us. If we are divided, they will win. So, I would like us all to make a vow that we will not murder eachother in our sleep until we are safely out of the Duchy"

“A droll plan, ser. Except the part where some of us are likely unwilling to be potentially chained, hanged, and turned into pig manure over three half-dead farmers and a measly hundred or so coin profit. Ah, and have you forgotten that we need the farmers as part of the deal for payment? And, of course . . . ”
Shia caught his gaze, as if looking for a sort of backup, “if Schift decides the letter was followed enough to pay up at all.” This warranted a nod from the blond, who understood, and apparently agreed, albeit sloppily. He had no verbal in to chime in at this moment, so he instead gave the other man a belabored shrug.

"Shia has the right of it, but allow me to make things clear Baldur. I won't make a moral argument, as clearly you have none. Quite simply if you try to betray our companions or sell of these peasants, I will break you and leave you as bait for the harpy."

Fletcher was convinced Baldur was taking the piss; no sensible man would offer this plan. However, whatever small endearment or diminutive respect he had formed of the executioner, it would be certainly dashed to the proverbial rocks if he were, indeed, very serious. Fletcher had standards. They were loose, often bent to suit his needs, and particularly muddy.

Chaos, thievery, debauchery—he could cause havoc as people had a chance to stymie it, he could steal as 'things' were 'things', and he could cavort around like a fellow of the night if he were so inclined. To be tricked by Fletcher was to be complicit in a choice to be stupid. But slavery was void of choices, and as such, he was disgusted by it.

"Does anyone else have any cute ideas? I'd like to get a tally of how many skulls I need to crack before the end of the day."
"Ahh, how intimidating,"
he said to himself and to his alcoholic beverage.

"You're as blunt as your hammer, and Shia has made an argumentative mistake. If we will not be payed at all, then my incentive is to steal the money. Failing that, well, perhaps selling the farmers is the sensible choice... If I assume we can avoid witnesses." Oh, how very dreadful, Fletcher thought to himself.

"I used to think like you. Do you know what I think about now? How much I hate moldy bread, and how little a farmer's well being fills me. We can be your villains, but do not think your evil men die as they do in stories." What 'we' is this, who is 'we'?, Fletcher also sparked in his mind, sidestepping fully enunciating his position as he was watery-brained at the moment, and also the other men around him were metaphorically thudding their fists upon their chests.

Contrarily, Gwyn's confidence was a power in a world where women were often considered less then, because men considered themselves greater by sheer merit of being born with a cock. Fletcher was not so daft to think such a thing, though he was daft in plenty of other circumstances.

To Fletcher, these antics were a sign of overburdened machismo. Which, to be blunt, was deserving far more of denigration than his incessant talking.

"Yes, I have one. How about you take back your threat to murder a member of our group? We can debate ideas. Some of us might think that some ideas are... chicken shit."
"But we are all travelling in a dark, secluded wood together, and our lives depend on each other when we fight this beast. There is only one line I will not cross, and that is killing a man who is supposed to be working with me. It would be reassuring, I think to all of us, that you say the same."

"I believe,"
it was Gwyn's turn to put her foot down, which Fletcher quirked a grin at, "That you ask too much of strangers. Make no mistake, if you compromise our efforts, or you stand in my way, you will be cut down, and your corpses will be less than a footnote as far as history is concerned. I would only expect the same from those that don't know me. But this.. plan, if you could even call it such? A surefire way to meet an early grave, either by our hand or your own hubris.

"Evil people do die, Kaykavus. Just not physically. If you'd like to die only in theory, consider staying the fuck away from me."

The area around him was filled with pride thick enough to cut with his blades. It was filled with worse ideas than he'd ever have in his ridiculous noggin, filled with threats, and the beating of chests. Middlingly intoxicated Fletcher did not enjoy this type of engagement. Middlingly intoxicated Fletcher found it repugnant and immature. Middlingly intoxicated Fletcher could also—not ever—keep his trap shut for very long.

"Enough," the pale thief said with a heavy sigh, "you are not 'evil men'. If you were, the more fair-hearted among us would be dead already. Furthermore, this pissing contest is terribly childish. Wholly uninspiring. Boringly unattractive. Vement...vehemently irritating. Yes, you've found an irritant for the walking, talking chuckle emporium. Let's...get on with it. No killing each other, no slaving, no backstabbing, bird dies, we get paid a bit. Z'kes chené." Fletcher ended on a Tallisian phrasing, which loosely translated as 'that's final'. He took another deep swig.

If one of them felt so inclined to push the discussion further, or perhaps wished to embolden the pissing contest, or possibly attempt to bring the matter to fisticuffs, Fletcher would quite simply fling alcohol in their eyes. Then, he'd go back on his word not to kill, and light them on fire with his torch. Deadpan, with his expression unchanging, he'd not feel the least bit bad. He wondered why, and chalked it up to the alcohol. He'd be wrong about that.

They were finally walking at a decent pace. Finally.

"I suppose it's ill-advised to ask if anyone wants a drink in the middle of hunting a big, bad bird-woman, but fuck it. Darling?" he shook his flask in Gwyn's general direction, and then Shia's, and finally Alrick's, "Darlings? Dears? Dearths of merriment? Debutantes of dreariness?" He had enough to share a few sips with everyone, if they weren't worried about catching lunacy from the thief who somehow had more reason than the band who seemed intent on drowning in their own irritations.

[/div]
[div class=bigcenter2]

"Hmm...I could help you, yes. But I could also just watch you suffer. That'd be far more amusing—what do you mean you'll get me a cat if I help?! Why the ten circles of Zaeria didn't you say that sooner?!"
[/div]
[/div]

[/div]
[/div]

Last edited:
Shia Foxcourt

Shia had barely finished his barbed counterpoint when another latecomer – this one a tall, unkempt-looking warrior carrying a battered hammer of war – hastened to his support.

“Shia has the right of it, but allow me to make things clear Baldur. I won't make a moral argument, as clearly you have none. Quite simply if you try to betray our companions or sell of these peasants, I will break you and leave you as bait for the harpy."

Shia started to breath a sigh of relief, but paused in the very act of doing so to stiffen and study the man in bewildered surprise.

This one knows my name . . .

But how? Shia never recalled introducing himself to any of the gathered at the inn, having only just arrived in time to hear the tail-end of Schift’s statements about the bird. Could this man have possibly been present at court when he was there, or have business with his brother’s knights? He squinted at Alrick, but did not have long to dwell upon his suspicions for the man had continued on.

"Does anyone else have any cute ideas? I'd like to get a tally of how many skulls I need to crack before the end of the day."

“Ah, I’m sure that isn’t at all necessary -- ”
Shia started to say, but broke off as he was interrupted by Baldur.

“Yes, I have one.”

And I’m certain it is almost as brilliant as the first, Shia thought, though he had the sense not to say it out loud before his new . . . “comrade.”

“How about you take back your threat to murder a member of our group? We can debate ideas. Some of us might think that some ideas are... chicken shit. But we are all travelling in a dark, secluded wood together, and our lives depend on each other when we fight this beast. There is only one line I will not cross, and that is killing a man who is supposed to be working with me. It would be reassuring, I think to all of us, that you say the same.”

“It hardly needs to be all that complicated, friend,”
Shia said, waving his hand dismissively. Just keep the mind on our foul-feathered adversary, and let the gods worry about all the rest. No need to be counting up our chickens before they hatch, so to speak.”

He started an attempt at an easy lopsided smile to take the bite out of his earlier words when another man grunted. This one, too, was different than all the rest in that his mail suit covered him almost from head to toe. The very garb screamed of foreign and blood, and while Shia could not see the man’s face he wore beneath the helm, he got the distinct impression the stranger was not at all paying much attention to the map he gripped so firmly in his hand.

"You're as blunt as your hammer, and Shia has made an argumentative mistake. If we will not be payed at all, then my incentive is to steal the money. Failing that, well, perhaps selling the farmers is the sensible choice... If I assume we can avoid witnesses."

Shia cocked his head, smile fading, and adjusted his grip on his newly-acquired pike. It was a fair point, he supposed, that it was a bit too early of a time to share his broader suspicions with the group. After all, he had no definitive proof one way or the other aside from rumors and reputation and experience that Schift was playing the noble’s game. Alas, he could provide no assurances one way or another as the conversation quickly progressed, with the bold young woman who marched in the lead quickly returned in time to toss a macabre reply to the stranger’s assertion that ‘evil people don’t die’ or something along those lines. Of course, Shia as a noble didn’t really understand the meaning behind the words much at all. It seemed to him that if you stuck a sword in their heart or lopped their head off, that evildoers died just as swiftly and sadly as the pure of heart.

Fortunately, the macabre conversation did not last for long. The woman’s companion, a pale blonde fellow with a shrewd, weaselly appearance, was sighing with impatience. Strangely enough, he looked incredibly familiar, as though Shia had seen him somewhere before but for the life of him could not recall where. The bar, perhaps? Had they been drinking?

"Enough,” he said. “You are not 'evil men'. If you were, the more fair-hearted among us would be dead already. Furthermore, this pissing contest is terribly childish. Wholly uninspiring. Boringly unattractive. Vement...vehemently irritating. Yes, you've found an irritant for the walking, talking chuckle emporium. Let's...get on with it. No killing each other, no slaving, no backstabbing, bird dies, we get paid a bit. Z'kes chené."

The speech was capped off by the irrepressible little man taking a swig from an ornate hipflask that looked oddly out of place on his person, but was that really so surprising by now? At any event, he appeared superficially to be a much better traveling companion heading into the dark, spooky-looking forest than most of these grim, scowling scallywags debating their painfully skewed moral philosophies – none of which were inline with his current purpose for accepting this dubious task to begin with. He hastened his steps to fall inline beside the rogue when they finally set off walking again.

You have a way with words, my artful friend! I will drink to that.”

Shia accepted the offer of the flask and tossed back a few swallows before handing it back. He rubbed the excess from his chin.

“Z'kes chené. Tallisian dialect, is it not? Bit of a contemporary phrasing, unless I miss my guess.”

Direct Mentions: Keidivh Keidivh Archie Archie mothspit mothspit BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda

Included: KingHalliwell KingHalliwell

'Sir' Rickard
Shit stained Field/Village

A vomiting simpleton. Mysterious letters falling from the sky. Tales of feral winged beings with the head of a woman swooping down upon their prey. Rickard really couldn’t help but feel that he should have stayed in the Tavern, or perhaps ventured onto pastures new, or at the very least devoid of these strange goings on. But that ship had sailed and besides, he needed the money. The luxury of being able to pick and choose assignments was not one that he was privy to at this moment in time. He was probably a few weeks off pawning armour or weapons, and that was a dangerous and steady path back down to destitution and anonymity, and he hadn’t come this far to return to the sort of shit stain he had grown up in and currently once again found himself in, not permanently anyway. But it appeared that the group would split, mere moments after making their acquaintances, traipsing into the woods to try and find the lair of this Harpy like this was some sort of jolly boy’s outing. They appeared to be an enthusiastic bunch, and soon they’d be a dead bunch. Charging straight ahead in who knows what, or knackering themselves out chasing phantoms and returning battered, bruised, muddied and no richer.

He looked about the other members of the group that he was left with. The idealistic Ser Addam (He’d probably be able to get a few people to talk by giving them the old puppy dog eyes), the more aged battered Merc (Who could probably knock a few heads together, great way to get uncooperative jaws moving), Ehina (Now she seemed to have her whits about her, rightly considering that the other lot were hurrying off to meet their deaths. Not that he was complaining, like she said, more coin for them), the Mage (Maybe she could unlock a couple of tongues with some spell of truth telling? To tell the truth, Rickard had no idea, whilst he accepted and respected magic, he had truly no idea as to its inner workings or apparatus), and then finally they had big purple himself (They could always threaten to infect people with whatever quite frankly hideous skin condition that he had), rounding out their dysfunctional group of rag tags and ne'er-do-wells.

“Well you can add my vote to the pair. Let them slog their way through the arse end of nowhere like a bunch of heavily armed and easily aggravated headless chickens. They’ll either get lost, pissed off and kill each other in the woods. Or find the Harpy, kill it, squabble over the reward money and kill each other on the way back. We’ll stay here in what I very loosely call civilisation and find out the lay of the land,”

With a whistle on his lips, his customary swagger set in his stride and his right hand clasped on the pommel of his sword, he set out amongst the group towards the clustered group of dwellings. Soon the smell of shit and smoke filled his nostrils. The old familiar smell of home. Mind you as they got closer the former became near enough overpowering. It was like a whole flock of geese had passed through, and by the acrid stench, none of them had particularly happy or healthy bowel movements. Maybe there was something to the farmers stories, it looked like the crops had been wiped out by a flowing stream of liquid shit. This definitely wasn’t a pigeon.

He allowed the villager to say her piece, he gingerly dipped his gloved fingers into the mess and raised it, giving it a sniff. It damn well turned his stomach. At this kind of close proximity it was enough to make your eyes water, your nostrils burn and your stomach consider upheaving its contents. Thankfully he managed to keep this morning’s beer and bread down as he straightened up, wiping his glove enthusiastically on a spot of yet to be befouled grass. He straightened up, sucking at his teeth he placed his hands on his hips. An eyewitness, as leads went they’d already managed to stumble onto a proverbial gold mind. As long as the old dear’s eyesight hadn’t completely dried up.

“Spewing from both ends you say? That hardly seems healthy, even from something positively unnatural. Did the beast seem weakened with disease or injury perhaps, obvious wounds or infection?”

He glanced about the field one more time. This sort of loss would be disastrous, almost an entire crop destroyed. Most farmers barely scraped by year on year with enough to get by, let alone able to put any coin or food to one side. Despite the initial thoughts of some giant fecal flounting bird descending upon the region the devastation was real. Something he could understand. He placed a hand on the old woman’s shoulder.

“Just tell us what you can remember, any details no matter how small, how it looked, how it moved, even what noises it meant. Any of it could be vital to putting this foul thing down for good. It may be too late for your crops but we can make sure that it no longer runs amok and causes you any further ill,”

Beneath the dirt his face creased into a lopsided grin, his teeth white amongst the general grime. There were times for fun and games. In fact it was indulging in the pair that often got him in trouble, but now was not the time, surrounded by ruined livelihood and the stench of decay and rot.

(With: The Intelligent Group: The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard , Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford , idalie idalie , BELIAL. BELIAL. , King Sundew King Sundew ,@Oldhaggardwoman)

Last edited:
[class=biggie] width: 100%; max-width:1200px; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:12px; color: #fff; font-weight:100; background: #000 [/class] [class=whut] background: #000;[/class] [class=handsomedevil] background: #262626; text-align: left; width:32%; float:left; color: #fff; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speakeasy] letter-spacing: 3px; word-spacing: 2px; border-bottom: solid 10px #47302e; font-size:14px; background: #262626; padding:10px; box-sizing: border-box; color: #fff; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speaks] color: #fff; padding:15px; text-align: left; float:right; width:65%; background: #262626; font-size:14px; line-height:1.4; letter-spacing:1px; padding:20px; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class=tip]background-color: #47302e; padding: 10px; box-sizing: border-box; margin-left: 15px;[/class] [class name=tip maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=handsomedevil maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=whut maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 0px; width:97%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=biggie maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speaks maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speakeasy maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box;[/class]
[div class=whut]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
Baldur Kloss[/div]

[/div][div class=speaks]

The Forest

As the argument intensified over slaves, the foreign man in armor spoke up. "You're as blunt as your hammer, and Shia has made an argumentative mistake. If we will not be payed at all, then my incentive is to steal the money. Failing that, well, perhaps selling the farmers is the sensible choice... If I assume we can avoid witnesses."

A man of culture Baldur thought. At the same time, this entire discussion about not being paid was troubling. Baldur knew Devon, and knew these outsiders were right about the local magistrate. It became increasingly obvious to the former executioner that his new line of work was tantamount to taking a vow of poverty.

"I used to think like you. Do you know what I think about now? How much I hate moldy bread, and how little a farmer's well being fills me. We can be your villains, but do not think your evil men die as they do in stories." added Kaykavaus. Here, Baldur scowled, but said nothing. The stories were true, and they were not villains. They were heroes, saving their county from an evil harpy, and all they asked was for a few captives in return. He could not understand why the scarred man had such a problem with slavery - Baldur since his earliest days had seen far, far worse than people being forced to work for food instead of coin.

Baldur's pensing was interrupted by Gwyn, who seemed to be addressing him.

"That you ask too much of strangers. Make no mistake, if you compromise our efforts, or you stand in my way, you will be cut down, and your corpses will be less than a footnote as far as history is concerned. I would only expect the same from those that don't know me. But this.. plan, if you could even call it such? A surefire way to meet an early grave, either by our hand or your own hubris"

This started to puzzle Baldur even more. Both this woman and the scarred man were threatening him with a quick death. Why did they believe that to be so menacing? If they were threatening to open his chest and pull it out such that he resembled a bloody eagle in front of the whole town, that would be a painful and humiliating death. A quick cut in a forest? Surely that was preferable to dying slowly of a painful disease in your old age.

"Evil people do die, Kaykavus. Just not physically. If you'd like to die only in theory, consider staying the fuck away from me." the woman added.

"What is a footnote?" Baldur asked, genuinely perplexed. The only books he read were cheaply produced tales of fantastic stories, which he thought were real. He, like most villagers, had never encountered a citation in his life.

"Enough,” the blonde man started, interrupting the conversation. “You are not 'evil men'. If you were, the more fair-hearted among us would be dead already. Furthermore, this pissing contest is terribly childish. Wholly uninspiring. Boringly unattractive. Vement...vehemently irritating. Yes, you've found an irritant for the walking, talking chuckle emporium. Let's...get on with it. No killing each other, no slaving, no backstabbing, bird dies, we get paid a bit. Z'kes chené."

The rogue was downing increasingly copious amounts of what Baldur could smell was some high-grade alcohol, at least in comparison to the piss served at the local tavern. He handed the flask to the nobleman, who drank to his words and commented on some dialect that Baldur had not heard of before. As the nobleman handed the flask back to the rogue, Baldur, totally oblivious to the mood of the moment, snatched it with his right hand and took a rather large swig.

"What you mentioned earlier is true" he said, looking first at Shia, then at Kaykavaus.

"Devon has a reputation for being cost efficient. The only reason I've never been stiffed before is, as an executioner, he'd have to hire me again. Our current line of work does not lend to return business" Baldur pointed out. Collecting debts seemed to be the only area where Baldur had any tact or eye for strategy.

"We should return the peasants to him when he is out conducting business, not in the keep. We can't make direct threats against the lord's magistrate, but he'll be more honest if he's outnumbered" he said, oblivious to the fact that he was still holding onto the flask. He held it out aimlessly, as if to signal that he had had enough to drink.

"On that note, if your memory is correct," the executioner continued, looking back at Shia. "Devon's included an out clause in our contract"

"If even one of the peasants are dead, he has an excuse not to pay us. If that's the case, I'll still charge at the harpy for my own entertainment. But, knowing Devon, we'll lose any hope of payment."

The part about entertainment was a slip of the tongue, but a revealing one. It made Baldur stop and think - was that the only reason he was out here? He had just abandoned a lucrative career, and for what? To be a hero like in the bard's songs? No - heroes like Baron du Ravage never teamed up with criminals, or sold people into slavery unless they were debtors. Baldur was on this adventure simply because he was getting bored. That would not do, he decided. By the end of this mission, Baldur knew he would have a cause of his own. What exactly that entailed, he had no idea. Maybe free drinks for everyone.

Interactions:
BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda , mothspit mothspit , idalie idalie Keidivh Keidivh Whisker Whisker ... Group 1
[/div]
[/div]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
"That's not so bad!"
[/div][/div]
[/div]

Last edited:
1.jpg "I do—and don't feel 'incited' by this, darling," he mimicked her phrasings, "but I'd be happy to linger at your heel," with that he cast her a playful wink, "Just kidding." He wasn't.

Hearing this, Gwyn's expression abruptly shifted, a sudden contradictory swirl of emotions welling in the pit of her stomach. On one hand, he was a pompous upstart. If he was in the interest of getting on her good side, he might have done well to open with such a line. She wasn't known to turn away a pretty face, provided they didn't bring her ever-so-closer to an aneurysm with every snark flap of the gums. On the other, it was just as apparent that was the point from the start. Yes, of course it was. The wink of his eye and shit-eating grin was proof enough of that. The way he poked and prodded, he was like a young schoolboy hoping to court a girl by pulling her hair. Gwyn wasn't unfamiliar with these types. And who doesn't love a good hair pulling?

"I like trouble, my good fellow. And cutting my teeth on it is a path to amusement, no matter the results,"

Managing to steel her face for another moment, she vocalizes a curious 'mm' from the back of her throat, "..And cut your teeth you just might."

By the time the scraps and slurs between them were exchanged accordingly, Fletcher put an end to it with a surprising display of maturity. It seemed he was more than pomp and flair, after all.

Gwyn only able to muster another deep roll of her eyes when Baldur questioned her use of the word 'footnote.' How silly of her to forget, not everyone was fortunate to be the bastard of a noble. While it wasn't as much a luxury as it would have been, if the man in question had ever bothered to claim her properly as his own, it opened certain avenues-- A semi-decent education, for starters. As much as a knight with more brawn than brain could provide, anyway. A right shame none of it stuck. But, their little squabble and it's appropriate end did give her a moment to reflect. Talk of sacrifice for the sake of the coin in their pockets was.. unpleasant. And Gwyn was not yet at a point in her life where those scars had fully healed, or where her mouth knew when to stay quiet. For all the concern he and Kaykavus raised with that short exchange, Baldur had one thing right-- They were in it together, here in this wood. Against an impossible creature during an impossible age.

"I suppose it's ill-advised to ask if anyone wants a drink in the middle of hunting a big, bad bird-woman, but fuck it. Darling?" he shook his flask in Gwyn's general direction, and then Shia's, and finally Alrick's, "Darlings? Dears? Dearths of merriment? Debutantes of dreariness?" The flask saw both Shia and Baldurs lips shortly after.

With a begrudged sigh, she snatches the flask from Baldur's outstretched hand, taking a hearty swig from it before thrusting it back into Fletchers palm-- The force behind the gesture only half-serious, "..Proprietors of poignancy..?" She offers with a roll of her wrist and flex of her fingers, a small part of her undoubtedly going to regret indulging in drunken alliteration in the near future. It had been some time since her drink back in the tavern, and with tensions high, nothing else would calm her nerves. These men acted cooler than the harsh, bitter winds of winter, but she wondered just how many were secretly quaking in their hardened exteriors. Additionally, still they talked of when and how they would be getting payed, or if they'd be getting payed at all. They'd already mentioned a small portion of moral ambiguity was on the table, so should Devon see fit to cut them from the deal, what was stopping anyone from just.. robbing him?

"At any rate, I hardly think the pay matters, not when we're this," She holds up a set of two fingers, only a hairs width apart from each other, casting a subsequent distorted shadow on the earth in front of them, "close to finding the blasted monster. We can worry about wringing that walking broomstick dry when we are sure and well alive to do so, aye?"

Gwyn gave a small shrug to herself, muttering the words 'could use a smoke..' beneath her breath. She brandishes the wooden pipe, pulling it from the breast of her armour, along with a small, cloth pouch. Thumbing the latter open, she loads tobacco from it into the pipe with a careful pinch of her fingers. Her hands searched the various pockets and crevices of her attire, realizing she had naught a light to smoke with, lest she try her luck with holding a torch to her face.. Great.

"..Spare a flame, anyone?" She chimed at no one in particular, holding the pipe betwixt her lips expectantly.

Mentions: BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda Archie Archie

Last edited:
[class=biggie] width: 100%; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:13px; color: #1d1b15; font-weight:100; display:flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; height: 100%; [/class] [class=bigcenter] background: RGBA(16,19,20,0.91) ; text-align: left; margin: 0 auto; padding:10px; color:#eed9cd; font-weight:400; border: 5px solid #0b2427; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; padding:20px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:90% [/class] [class=bigcenter2] text-align: center; padding:30px; margin: 0 auto; color:#eed9cd; max-width:900px; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:100%; clear: both; [/class] [class=left] padding:20px; color: #e2e8e5; box-sizing: border-box; width:30%; float: left; [/class] [class=right] padding: 20px; box-sizing: border-box; color: #e2e8e5; width: 65%; float: left; max-height: 700px; overflow: auto; margin-left: 10px; border-bottom:1px dotted #d68b5e; font-size: 14px; line-height: 22px; [/class] [class name=bg maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px[/class] [class name=bigcenter maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=bigcenter2 maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=left maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; float: none; width: 90%; text-align: center;[/class] [class name=right maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; max-height: 100%; float: none; width: 90%[/class]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=bg]
[div class=bigcenter]
Alrick Gottzmann
"What hope is there for man, when their greatest champions are no better than the monsters they hunt?"

[div class=left]
Alrick.jpg

■ ■ ■
With: A woefully unprepared group
Mention: Archie Archie Whisker Whisker BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda King Sundew King Sundew The Gunrunner The Gunrunner mothspit mothspit [/USER]

■ ■ ■

[/div][div class=right]
Alricks grip on his weapon slowly began to loosen as the giant seemed uninterested in pressing this issue with force, something that he could be thankful for. If that odd note held any ounce of truth to it, they'd need every sword, hammer and bow available to them. Even then... Well, the Black Waters were always ready to surprise. Still, even though he wasn't ready to raise his sword to the threat, Baldur was still more than happy to try and turn the situation around on Alrick. That a man who would enslave those he was hired to save call for the others to honor their own commitments was beyond amusing. Were he not so disgusted by the display, he may have even had a little chortle over it. Instead he simply rolled his eyes, amazed at the levels of self contradictory rhetoric coming from him.

"Why would I give my word to a man who holds no value in his own? Should I be assured because you profess loyalty to us now that you wouldn't betray us at your earliest convenience? No headsman, I will not swear to you that my hammer will be stayed. Because if you were to try take those villagers, I'd swiftly break such an oath. Yes, I did threaten to kill you, but at least I am honest about it. I will swear this though, I will not bring harm to those who haven't earned it." As he spoke, Alrick was once again reminded as to why he had been travelling alone for so long. Few appreciated how freely he spoke of killing those around him. It was admittedly understandable, but being upfront about it felt only fair. It was the best he could do for now.

Sadly it became apparent that Baldur wasn't the only one who thought along these lines as Nadir threw in his two pence, this strange accent cutting into the conversation quite neatly. No matter how much he covered himself in, it was beyond evident this man was far from home. His concern about the payment for this job was understandable, Alrick internally admitting that it was more than likely this lord would look to cheat them all of their reward. But to turn this into an excuse to become slavers? It was unacceptable. They'd get their compensation in some way, but not like this.

"If we are to be withheld from our justly earned reward I'll be more than willing to fight to get it. I haven't the time to waste on a conman, no matter their rank. If you think that means I'd consider or even allow such vile actions as you consider to occur. Well, I think I've already made my point on this." Judging by how he spoke, it didn't seem that Nadir was quite as excited to do this, at least not as much as Baldur. Perhaps, had he allowed himself to break in the past this is how he would have turned out. A roaming warrior that didn't give time to morals when practicality beckoned. Granted he wouldn't have such a unique accent still, which took most of the fun out of that thought.

"It's a shame your mind is consumed by the mundane stranger, seems a waste. And aye, you're right. The evil men don't die like they do in the stories. But I've found if you hit them hard enough, they die. Not as cleanly in the stories mind you, yet it is has proven effective." Granted, the 'evil' men that Alrick had fought so long ago weren't exactly expecting the fight, he didn't need to reveal that at the moment. Coming from a position of strength in this group seemed increasingly important.

When next Gwyn began to speak, Alrick sighed internally as he expected the raven haired woman to add yet further weight to this idea. To say he was surprised when she came against it with such vitriol would be an understatement. Seeing the way she had carried herself earlier, he would have imagined her to be vicious and ruthless enough to consider the idea. While she still came across as such, at the very least she held to some form of code. Seeing her nod, Alrick gave the slightest of smiles, returning the gesture. It was good to know he and the apparent nobleman weren't alone.

If Alrick was surprised by Gwyn's stance however, he was completely floored by Fletch. Granted he didn't seem to have any true moral qualms about it, at least none he made apparent. But he didn't support it. Rather the whole thing seemed to be little more than an annoying distraction. Seems blondie doesn't like trouble when he isn't the one causing it. "I can't believe I'm saying this Fletcher, but I'm actually impressed by your focus. You still talk far to much, but I suppose it is something." Of course he couldn't offer the compliment without some type of backhand. The lad had proven far to taxing to allow that. Despite this welcome occurrence he turned down the drink. Having a buzz while fighting a harpy was foolish, fighting one while in a drunken stupor was likely a death sentence. He would stick with foolish for now.

Shia, bless his heart, continued trying to soothe the tensions as best he could. Why he wasn't an ambassador for some lord was truly a shame, as his talents seemed wasted in such physical tasks as hunting a 'bird'. Perhaps had he not so abruptly left his father court, they may have met in his fathers throne room rather than a blighted forest. But then again, Aldheim wasn't a place many traveled to willingly nowadays.

Thankfully the talk of slavery seemed to die down, in no small thanks to Fletcher, painful as it was to even think it. Baldur even began bringing up fairly valid points, and more surprising a plan. Was it the best of plans, doubtful. But it didn't involve anything overly heinous at the very least. In fact the headsman proved himself to have a rather keen nose for business and contracts, something his previous lives didn't provide. The Huntsmen's Order wasn't one to concern itself with such trivial matters, as none would dare break their word with such a force. Even then, it didn't always protect them. Even as a smiths apprentice he learned little of the trade, the job meaning little to him, only focusing on providing for himself and his little firefly. This begged the question, why would he leave such a seemingly lucrative position that provided both coin and an outlet for his sadism.

"It is good to see you're capable of thinking up a plan that is actually agreeable. I'd be more than happy to force this pay over to us should the time come, but Gwyn has a valid point. No need to worry about pay if we don't live long enough to see it."

Reaching into his satchel, Alrick retrieved a match for the so far sensible. She had his back when it counted, the least he could do was give help her with a smoke. Lighting it, the flame soon lit up the tobacco leaves, the scent urging the ex-knight to produce his own pipe. It wouldn't incapacitate him as the alcohol would. Enjoying a brief moment of silence as the scent of tobacco waded around the group, his thoughts finally began to focus in on their target.

"So, now that we've bitched each other out enough, anyone have a plan as to how we bring this creature down? If it's truly a harpy then many of us will have a great deal of trouble even touching it. Perhaps if we had a weighted net of some kind..." If we hadn't rushed out of the village, maybe that could be possible. "Well, if worst comes to worst, we can always use Baldur as bait. Harpy couldn't miss him."

[/div]
[div class=bigcenter2]

“And yet, unworthy as I am, I must endure. I must fight until the dawn breaks this unending night, lest it swallow me whole.”
[/div]
[/div]

[/div]
[/div]

Last edited:
[class=biggie] width: 100%; max-width:1200px; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:12px; color: #fff; font-weight:100; background: #000 [/class] [class=whut] background: #000;[/class] [class=handsomedevil] background: #262626; text-align: center; width:30%; margin: 0 auto; float:left; padding:10px; color: #140033; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speakeasy] letter-spacing: 3px; word-spacing: 2px; border-bottom: solid 10px #47302e; text-align: center; font-size:14px; background: #262626; padding:30px; color: #fff; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speaks] color: #fff; padding:15px; text-align: left; float:right; width:65%; background: #262626; font-size:14px; line-height:1.4; letter-spacing:1px;[/class] [class=tip]background-color: #47302e; padding: 10px; box-sizing: border-box; margin-left: 15px;[/class] [class name=handsomedevil maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=whut maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 0px; width:97%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=biggie maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speaks maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speakeasy maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class]
[div class=whut]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
Kaykavus Nadir[/div]

OYcgSsv.jpg

[/div][div class=speaks]

Kaykavus twists his mouth, looking up from the map to compare the nearby terrain. The map was terrible, true, but it was an attempt to provide directions. His eyes find the arrangement he has been searching for, and he nods to himself. Finally. He directs the others to the spot, and then turns in position to what he believes to be a straight shot to the nest. The topic of slavery is finished to him, something he planned to state his intentions towards and then move on. Slavery is not a rarity where he is from, though the topic is controversial it is not considered so heinous. He believes the topic will be dropped quickly, that the majority will begrudgingly side with it or keep their minds to themselves. He finds himself to be quite wrong in that assumption.

Alrick, clearly, would not take Nadir's comments without response,
"It's a shame your mind is consumed by the mundane stranger, seems a waste. And aye, you're right. The evil men don't die like they do in the stories. But I've found if you hit them hard enough, they die. Not as cleanly in the stories mind you, yet it is has proven effective." It is enough to bring Kaykavus to chuckle to himself, if not for more than the simplicity of it. Well said. Gwyndillin is next, utterly unflinching in her condemnation of the plan and the two who support it. Her tone is so filled with vitriol that the threat is apparent before it is directly made. Unexpected, he admits; He had hoped she would not be so hostile to the idea.
The statement demands he counter,
"Bah! If it spares me from your babbles of theoretical death, that is motivation enough."
He just barely manages to flap his forked tongue before, of all people, Fletcher acts to put an end to the squabbling,
"Enough," he begins, pausing to release a frustrated sigh, "you are not 'evil men'. If you were, the more fair-hearted among us would be dead already. Furthermore, this pissing contest is terribly childish. Wholly uninspiring. Boringly unattractive. Vement...vehemently irritating. Yes, you've found an irritant for the walking, talking chuckle emporium. Let's...get on with it. No killing each other, no slaving, no backstabbing, bird dies, we get paid a bit. Z'kes chené." His maturity, sadly, ends quite quickly for the purpose of taking another swig from what is most certainly alcohol. He then offers it to the others, "Darlings?"

Regardless, it is what the situation required. Kaykavus remains begrudgingly silent, and turns his attention back to the map. Partially because of the fact that pressing would clearly only make enemies here - Also, though, because of the humility in having his maturity put into question by a man stumbling drunkenly to a battle. The blonde shares his alcohol with the others, and for a moment Kaykavus quietly asks that he not be the last sober fighter at the end of this walk. He shakes his head, following the arrangement of the trees and listening idly to the conversation of the others.

Baldur raises a primary concern over their new employer. Cost efficient. The thought of doing this for nothing is not comforting, and indeed none of them have a way to know whether the peasants are alive in advance. Then again, if the peasants are dead, there is no reason for them to follow through with killing the beast. Regardless, it is possible intimidation will be required in order to receive their pay at all. Hopefully it will not come to that - Hopefully. Gwyndillin, surprisingly quite quickly having calmed down from before, brings the concerns back to the bird,
""At any rate, I hardly think the pay matters, not when we're this close to finding the blasted monster. We can worry about wringing that walking broomstick dry when we are sure and well alive to do so, aye?" Following this, she asks for a light. It brings his thoughts to his pipe, and what he wouldn't do to have it on him again. Shia takes a drink from the blonde man's flask, asking about Tallisian dialect.

Finally, Alrick voices his agreement with Baldur's new plan, and volunteers to knock the coins out of the adviser.
"So, now that we've bitched each other out enough, anyone have a plan as to how we bring this creature down? If it's truly a harpy then many of us will have a great deal of trouble even touching it. Perhaps if we had a weighted net of some kind. Well, if worst comes to worst, we can always use Baldur as bait. Harpy couldn't miss him."
Kaykavus speaks up, believing he has something to contribute to this concern,

"It is good we know this walk is not for scouting, yes? A plan will depend on the terrain we have to work with: if we have tree cover, then I believe it will be harder for the birds to dive on us through the canopy. A trap is best, and a net is not the only way - Cripple them somehow, and we can keep our distance while I shoot until it is dead. An ambush is always the best, but the note said there will be more than one - I doubt an ambush will kill all of them... I know of a small-unit military formation, where the infantry protect the archers - Your task would be to stay close and hold the beasts back, defend against their dives, and I would shoot over you." He glances back to them, eyeing the flask for a moment. If you can still walk when we arrive.

[/div]
[/div]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]"The price stays."[/div][/div]

[/div]

Archie Archie Keidivh Keidivh mothspit mothspit BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda Whisker Whisker

[class=biggie] width: 100%; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:13px; color: #1d1b15; font-weight:100; display:flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; height: 100%; [/class] [class=bg]background-image: url(http://dndspeak.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/fantasy_forest_by_renanrdgs-d7wt6hq.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-size: cover; background-attachment: fixed; padding:30px; width: 100%; display:flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; height: 100%; [/class] [class=bigcenter] background: RGBA(11,11,12,0.9) ; text-align: left; margin: 0 auto; padding:10px; color:#eed9cd; font-weight:400; border: 5px solid #361316; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; padding:20px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:90% [/class] [class=bigcenter2] text-align: center; padding:30px; margin: 0 auto; color:#eed9cd; max-width:900px; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:100%; clear: both; [/class] [class=left] padding:20px; color: #e2e8e5; box-sizing: border-box; width:30%; float: left; [/class] [class=right] padding: 20px; box-sizing: border-box; color: #e2e8e5; width: 65%; float: left; max-height: 700px; overflow: auto; margin-left: 10px; border-bottom:1px dotted #d68b5e; font-size: 14px; line-height: 22px; [/class] [class name=bg maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px[/class] [class name=bigcenter maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=bigcenter2 maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=left maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; float: none; width: 90%; text-align: center;[/class] [class name=right maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; max-height: 100%; float: none; width: 90%[/class]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=bg]
[div class=bigcenter]
Fletcher Niles Cambria
"What's the worst that could happen—I die? Been there, done that. Anyways, who wants to get drunk and do crimes?"

[div class=left]

⸸ ⸸ ⸸
With: mothspit mothspit The Gunrunner The Gunrunner Archie Archie KingHalliwell KingHalliwell Whisker Whisker Keidivh Keidivh
Mood Music:
Grimes - My Name Is Dark (c h a o s r e i g n s)
Other: giving group 2 some time with evil crows. See lore page!

Quest:

⸸ ⸸ ⸸

[/div][div class=right]

"I can't believe I'm saying this Fletcher, but I'm actually impressed by your focus. You still talk far to much, but I suppose it is something," said the fellow who had threatened the executioner over something that had not yet happened. This gave the blond pause for a few moments, until a tilted cheshire smile spread.

"Thank you my good fellow, but you're a bit off the mark, I'd say," he replied, the air of prior seriousness returning but without the whiff of irritation, "It's just that you assign more value to your own tongue, is all. There's arrogance there; but you're clever enough to know the dangers of your own trappings, I'd imagine." Fletcher was poised, gaze never wandering from Alrick's face, his smile a bit rough around the edges as he was of course intoxicated.

This wasn't a challenge, and it wasn't a threat. It was simply what it was: an observation, held loosely by a fellow who held loose to many things. Arrogance got many more men killed than just a slippery blond thief who liked to get a rise out of people for his own amusement.

⸸ ⸸ ⸸

The man who first claimed Fletcher's thrifted, gilded flask seemed familiar. Fletcher, contrary to some, didn't hold the best track record when it came to remembering faces. Whether it was the work of obfuscated memories, his irreverent wanderings across the land, or nights spent drinking himself into another plane of existence, he couldn't always be sure of who he knew and didn't know.

You have a way with words, my artful friend! I will drink to that.” Fletch quirked a cheeky half-smile, curiously studying his face.
"For a reason I cannot place, I feel as though I knew you'd rise to the occasion." The flask was exchanged, alcohol was shared, and Fletcher finally felt like they were getting off on the right foot with this entire escapade. There was no reason to engage in dreariness; life was so much more than just glaring at your companions or threatening them for slights that hadn't even happened yet.

“Z'kes chené. Tallisian dialect, is it not? Bit of a contemporary phrasing, unless I miss my guess.”
"I'd say your guess is as good as any, my good man,"
Fletcher added earnestly, "I don't always know where my words were first stolen from, but that seems close enough." The pale thief smiled again, something distant and foggy, but was then once again as present as possible. This was a spy of a phrase; a slight of hand tilted with company he felt comfortable with, while being tilted.

Awaiting the return of his flask, Fletcher found it plucked away by the giant executioner who had previously suggested selling peasants to turn a profit. As Fletcher's responses were dulled, the blond had his hands raised as if a child waiting for his turn to pass the ball. Awkward and a fair bit distracted, it definitely wasn't his turn quite yet.

"What you mentioned earlier is true" Baldur started up, trying yet again to command the conversation. The blond tuned all this 'planning to plan' out, for the most part. He was enjoying the night air too much. In the end, they'd find a way to succeed, or die. They'd find a way to get paid, or not. No amount of planning will save you from a beast stranger than fiction; the thought came as if sparked by nothing. The thought died, because Fletcher grew distracted. Distracted by the dipping, dreamy lightning bugs and twinkling stars. This was the lovely 'afterglow' sort of intoxication he enjoyed most; soaking up the beautiful greens and blues around him.

He did so love looking at beauty.

Snapped from drunken idling, a particular beauty had thrust his flask back into his hands with power behind her push. "..Proprietors of poignancy..?"
"Clever, clever,"
the blond replied, offering a satisfied chuckle. He enjoyed the wordplay and playfulness; but it was only fun when people played back. She could, and her confidence didn't read as ill-placed arrogance to the thief. He appreciated this greatly.

"At any rate, I hardly think the pay matters, not when we're this close to finding the blasted monster. We can worry about wringing that walking broomstick dry when we are sure and well alive to do so, aye?" This he agreed with, bending a bit too much as he nodded vaguely.

"So, now that we've bitched each other out enough, anyone have a plan as to how we bring this creature down? If it's truly a harpy then many of us will have a great deal of trouble even touching it. Perhaps if we had a weighted net of some kind...Well, if worst comes to worst, we can always use Baldur as bait. Harpy couldn't miss him."

Sadly, Fletcher had no specific course of action or response for Alrick's question, though he did chuckle at using Baldur as bait; did they have a plan? No, he of course did not have a plan, and was not the type to ever craft one methodically.

He went through his life by way of impulse. It was a good way to avoid enemies predicting his behaviors. It was also a great deal more enjoyable, and considering he didn't fear death, it was also quite simply the only way to be.

There were things far more concerning than death, he felt.

"It is good we know this walk is not for scouting, yes? A plan will depend on the terrain we have to work with: if we have tree cover, then I believe it will be harder for the birds to dive on us through the canopy. A trap is best, and a net is not the only way - Cripple them somehow, and we can keep our distance while I shoot until it is dead. An ambush is always the best, but the note said there will be more than one - I doubt an ambush will kill all of them... I know of a small-unit military formation, where the infantry protect the archers - Your task would be to stay close and hold the beasts back, defend against their dives, and I would shoot over you."

Kaykavus' response to Alrick pulled Fletcher's waning focus away for a few moments. The armor-wearing man had taken quite a while to respond, possibly because he actually did want to get this done right, and chiming in while the others squabbled would perhaps waste time. He was careful with his words; speaking until he needed to. But a thought struck Fletcher; a drunken one, but a thought none-the-less.

"This...is a fairly solid plan, and I would otherwise agree, however..." the pale thief tilted his head to the side, "...what if the convenient, magical letter is a trick?" They were all under the assumption this was, indeed, a Harpy. Or, several Harpies, rather. But if Harpies were real, that meant other creatures were as well. But could they trust that assessment, even? They had walked off without gathering information. Fletcher had instigated this. They'd fallen for his antics; fools rush in, and all. After asking the blatant question, the pale thief's focus wandered yet again.

It now rested on the auburn-haired fellow. Something had been bothering Fletcher this entire time.

"Humor me for the moment, good ser...does the 'Braelton Incident' ring a bell?" For this, Fletcher was referring to drunken shenanigans had while spending far too much coin in Braelton's small, but lovely pleasure quarter, and consequentially him daring some poor, hapless sod to thrift half a dozen bustiers from the ladies who worked there.

It had been pure, unbridled chaos, with the pale thief leading the charge, and the pair being chased out by the comely Mistress who wielded a battle axe of all things. He remembered her being very angry, but not particularly very spry. Afterwards, Fletch had been split from his one-time accomplice, and was left fleeing with armfuls of bustiers, those of which he sold...save for a fetching ocean-blue number, of course.

Was this the same goofy nobleman? Had he made it out alive? Fletcher couldn't say, but the man's face came back all the same, and as distractable and inebriated as he was, this was the only pressing matter he felt he had to attend to. Outside of managing to either lift—or enjoy—Gwyn's pipe, of course. He hoped she'd continue to dabble in his games. Until, of course, they had to face whatever it was that awaited them.

The potent people would plan to plan. Then, made as fools, they'd rush this beast should it rear its ugly head, all intent in proving how powerful they were. Kaykavus' plan would probably not be executed as expected. Fletcher would then be found a great deal more agile and adept than they thought, even while intoxicated, and manage to make off with some trinkets if there were any. Surely he'd fight. He might even defend someone; it depended on so many factors. Then, he'd suggest stealing into the keep to get their coin should they need to take that route.

He was quite good at lock-picking.

⸸ ⸸ ⸸

However, that was not his role here in this excursion; to plan, to pursue, to fend, to rend, to aid. His role was to carefully pull the wings off butterflies and hope they didn't notice—strange. Fletcher looked at the flask in his hands and raised both his brows. What a curious thing to think, he thought, but shortly dashed it away all the same. With that, he handed off the booze to whoever would have it, and if not, he'd keep it on his person once more.

"Don't quote me on this, but I have the strange inkling that we will get far more than we bargained for..." with this, he produced the convenient letter. Tybalt. Who even was this man? Fletcher had avoided knowing him. Every sprinkle of understanding was dashed away each time he looked at it. The mere mention of the name conjured flashing images, but all of them simply confused the fun-seeking thief.

What possibly confused Fletcher more was the arrival of a crow. Just one solitary bird, soaring with large wings directly overhead, a silhouette against the moon. It seemed stranger than the average pitch-black avian, for reasons he couldn't see just yet. But he felt it; he felt a pulse that extended from that winged creature, as if it spoke to him; I know you. I see you, and I know what you are.

"If there is but one time you do not question me, consider now the appropriate time. Hide." With this, the blond stumbled to the nearest large tree, ducking to quite nearly graft himself to the bark. Another crow came, and circled. Another came, and seemingly snatched a familiar loose-leaf from the air to crush in its large beak. Another came. Fletcher watched them, bristling, but he couldn't say why.

[/div]
[div class=bigcenter2]

"Hmm...I could help you, yes. But I could also just watch you suffer. That'd be far more amusing—what do you mean you'll get me a cat if I help?! Why the ten circles of Zaeria didn't you say that sooner?!"
[/div]
[/div]

[/div]
[/div]

Last edited:
[class=biggie] width: 100%; max-width:1200px; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:12px; color: #fff; font-weight:100; background: #000 [/class] [class=whut] background: #000;[/class] [class=handsomedevil] background: #262626; text-align: left; width:32%; float:left; color: #fff; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speakeasy] letter-spacing: 3px; word-spacing: 2px; border-bottom: solid 10px #47302e; font-size:14px; background: #262626; padding:10px; box-sizing: border-box; color: #fff; font-weight:100; [/class] [class=speaks] color: #fff; padding:15px; text-align: left; float:right; width:65%; background: #262626; font-size:14px; line-height:1.4; letter-spacing:1px; padding:20px; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=handsomedevil maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=whut maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 0px; width:97%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=biggie maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speaks maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box[/class] [class name=speakeasy maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px; width:100%; box-sizing: border-box;[/class]
[div class=whut]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
Hurt my dog and I'll kill you without a second thought[/div]

Ca_UpN-OrZaCqY6rgPKKnYOO-YpAmqTbrQ7zDaNAJ1GrRxkJ96m0wgbu1l6CEtG5cIglRaZpdeFEHBvsxJW4OvB7amD8Xb4K2fryr3lqG9NTetmSztCsiYbHdIkiG-_2nKfNNpf9

Mentions: mothspit mothspit The Gunrunner The Gunrunner Archie Archie BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda Whisker Whisker Keidivh Keidivh

Mood Music: Champion - Barnes Courtney

Quest 1

[/div][div class=speaks]

Connor Stone

Connor had walked quietly a few feet behind the group as they journeyed, his bow gripped tightly in one of his free hands. His eyes scanning the dark woods on either side looking for any sign of danger that may arise while their attention was towards how they were getting paid for the job and other contingency plans. Every so often he would turn his head and catch the hint of shadows shifting in the woods. A prickling feeling would rise along his spine almost every time, but he knew it was just his mind playing tricks on him. This among others was one of the many reasons that Connor traveled with a dog. It was a lot easier to be on guard when you alone than it is with a group and it was easier to brush things off when there was a second entity that could deduce movement and sent at a higher degree than his own. None the less it helped to easier the uneasy feeling settling into his stomach. But Connor figured the volume of the voice coming from the group was enough to drive the small predators away, but it also alerted anything to their presence.

Champ walked about quietly, although Connor could tell by the way his ears flicked that he was having a hard time discerning the sounds of the group from the sounds of the forest. Every so often he would stop to sniff a patch of dead grass or the bark of the tree, most likely discerning some sort of scent, before determining it to be old and moving on.

Both Connor and Champ were happy to see that the conversation was slowly dying, it made keeping an eye and ear out that much easier. Connor tucked his bow under his arm as he rummaged around in his bag, pulling out a small and slightly bent rolled piece of paper filled with tobacco. He grabbed a flint from his pocket and struck a spark, muttering a quick magical word around the cigarette. He watched as the small sparked jumped the foot and a half distance from his hands to the cigarette in his mouth, lighting the end cigarette on fire before dying out into an ember, smoke rising from the end. Pulling in a small cloud before blowing it out his nose.

He let the cigarette hang lightly from his lips as he pulled his bow back into his hand and stowed the flint back in his pocket. His attention turned back to the woods around them, he could still hear what birds existed in the wood chirping back and forth every so often so he could tell they were in the clear for now, but who knows how long that was going to last.

Connor listened as Alrick and Kaykavus addressed the group. “If you all keep being as talkative as you are, we’ll alert the beast to our whereabouts long before we see it,” Connor muttered loud enough for the others to hear, “a plan won’t do us any good at that point.”

“Does the map offer any useful information?” Connor asked, looking over at Kaykavus. Connor was skeptical of the map and note that had fallen into their hands. It was too convenient and he worried that it would cause them more harm than they could prepare for.

Connor mulled over Fletcher’s words, the map could easily have been a trick, but if it was, who from. There was no way the other members they had met would have been able to pull something like this off, not without someone among them noticing. He pushed some more thought into hoping that he could make sense of the odd circumstance surrounding the note. He would have missed fletchers warning had Champ not nipped at his hand and pushed him towards the brush on one side of the road. He hunkered down at the sound of the crows doing his best to obscure himself from sight extinguishing the end of his cigarette in the dirt. Something was happening he just wasn’t quite sure what.

[/div]
[/div]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
My dog son is the goodest of boys and you better let him know or we're gonna have a problem[/div][/div]

[/div]

[div class=whut]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
Baldur Kloss[/div]

[/div][div class=speaks]

The Forest
Baldur tapped his blade on his shoulder - something that was surprisingly not dangerous without a curved sword, as he had learned many times while practicing decapitation on animal flesh - his concerns somewhat put at ease by the fact that damn near everyone in this group was willing to wrangle old Devon into giving them their coin. No doubt, if it came to wrangling, the group's presence in numbers could force the man to double the amount of coin for a job that was more difficult than expected. After discussing how willing they'd be to bully the old man out of his money, the group turned their attention to planning.

"At any rate, I hardly think the pay matters, not when we're this," said Gwyn, "close to finding the blasted monster. We can worry about wringing that walking broomstick dry when we are sure and well alive to do so, aye?"

The scarred man chimed in at this, offering his own suggestion.

"So, now that we've bitched each other out enough, anyone have a plan as to how we bring this creature down? If it's truly a harpy then many of us will have a great deal of trouble even touching it. Perhaps if we had a weighted net of some kind... Well, if worst comes to worst, we can always use Baldur as bait. Harpy couldn't miss him."

Baldur smirked. He himself had jokingly offered such an option before, but only to intimidate all but the most fearless people out of joining the rogue's group. Now that the scarred man brought it up again, he realized that it might not actually be such a bad idea.

"Actually that's quite a good idea" Baldur chimed in, holding his Zweihander in front of him.

"This thing is almost seven feet long. My arms are over three. If this harpy is truly only twelve feet as this letter says, and half it's body is its legs and claws, there's no way it can claw me without impaling itself" he intuited, rather proud of himself for that feat of arithmetic.

"That is, as long as it doesn't get me by surprise. So, I'll stand in the open. How you all would kill it I don't know" he suggested. Kaykavaus then commented with something that answered just that.

"It is good we know this walk is not for scouting, yes? A plan will depend on the terrain we have to work with: if we have tree cover, then I believe it will be harder for the birds to dive on us through the canopy. A trap is best, and a net is not the only way - Cripple them somehow, and we can keep our distance while I shoot until it is dead. An ambush is always the best, but the note said there will be more than one - I doubt an ambush will kill all of them... I know of a small-unit military formation, where the infantry protect the archers - Your task would be to stay close and hold the beasts back, defend against their dives, and I would shoot over you."

Baldur nodded. Yes, this would be the way they would kill it. He would lure the harpy out, the others would guard Kaykavaus, and he would shoot it down. Simple.

"Don't quote me on this, but I have the strange inkling that we will get far more than we bargained for..." the blonde interjected. He was stumbling around, and at first Baldur did not take him seriously.

"Ja, it's called intoxication" Baldur commented. The rogue then looked up, and was staring at a crow intently.

"I didn't know you were into that" the executioner joked.

Just then, the rogue had something else to say.

"If there is but one time you do not question me, consider now the appropriate time. Hide." he said, before the drunk man stumbled off behind a nearby tree. Baldur had no idea what had prompted the blonde to say that. A crow? What kind of adventurer saw danger in a crow?

Then, it hit him. This blonde, he recalled, was handling some other business in the tavern, and only came downstairs just in time for the almighty Devon to rally the mercenaries to go on a hunt. Perhaps, the rogue at once thought this would be an easy mission with all the armed people who had signed up - the 11 others would do the fighting, and the rogue would hide behind a tree, loot dead bodies, and evade any danger.

Then, three things happened. First, the group split, so people in either group were far more likely to realize who was hiding and who was fighting. Second, this group had moments earlier been seconds away from killing each other. Then, there was the woman named Gwyn, who was quite scary and would make a good executioner herself.

The blonde must have cooked up a plan - get everyone to hide, then slip away and abandon the mission. It wasn't a very good one, especially in a dangerous forest with a harpy, but it was exactly the kind of plan a drunk man would devise. Baldur wouldn't care if the rogue forfeited his cut, but he had to admit that this man was the most amusing fellow on this mission, and the one who was providing all the booze. He owed it to him to at least walk him home and make sure he didn't get lost in the forest.

Baldur dashed off after the blonde, deciding to humor the drunk and taking up position behind the tree next to his. He peeked momentarily around the tree, seeing that one crow had become four.

"It's a murder of crows" Baldur whispered, not able to resist finding amusement in the moment.

"Look, if you abandon the mission now, you won't get any money. That means no booze, no whores, and you'll be drunk and alone in a dark forest with a harpy. At least let one of us take you back, ya?" Baldur continued in the same tone of voice, believing he had just brilliantly divined the man's true intentions.

Interactions:
[/div]
[/div]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
"That's not so bad!"
[/div][/div]
[/div]

Last edited:
1.jpg "Ah, saints keep you," Gwyndilin mused gratefully, leaning into Alricks palm as his match lit the pipes contents. With a deep inhale, the embers glow, and two harsh lines of smoke come blowing from her nostrils. There was more talk of plans, how plans were useless, and what the terrain could offer. As the tobacco coursed through her veins, passing through her blood-brain barrier, and mixed with the hazy, comfortable warmth of her first sip of Fletchers flask, she could only tilt her head back and enjoy the feeling of sobriety slip away. Holding the wooden piece with one hand, and an arm crossed over her chest, not much of their conversation piqued her interest. Though she had neglected to answer him beforehand, Gwyn did agree with the eccentric thief-- Planning was woefully boring.

At least, it was now. Her days as a fearsome mercenary captain were over, and with that end, came about a new beginning. It's not that she wasn't a tactician-- Just that, if left to her own devices, she feared tact would only be influenced by the worst parts of her. Parts that she has spent a handful of years trying to bury. How can I line my pockets, and still win the war? Who must I sacrifice this fight, to win the next? How long can they go without rest, and can I test those limits to maximize my profit? Evil, vile thoughts that filled her head with every new contract falling into her lap. Plans of attack became plans of betrayal, in their own way. Better to never know what comes next, so that she can live each moment unshackled from her past grievances. That was what she told herself, anyway. In reality, she figured she'd never be free from them. These reckless thrusts into uncertainty were more likely the cause of a death wish-- A realization Gwyn has yet to come to, it seemed.

Pushing thoughts of the past from her mind, her head raising again with a shake of her head to no one but herself, she takes another long drag of the pipe, noticing there Fletcher had again offered a drink to anyone willing to accept it. She took it graciously, tricklings of intoxication only beginning to exacerbate with another full gulp from the flask. Might be good to fight this thing without all their wits about; There was no telling just how deadly it could be, or even how fowl it looked, neither of which would be a pleasant experience sober. She handed it back to him gingerly, and even offered her pipe to him in return, the embers of the bowl pulsing with every slight breeze, "..Don't think this a usual practice of mine. But, it's only fair, no?" He had managed to get a smile from her after all-- A tipsy grin of solidarity.

Strangely enough, the man that had spoke from the back of their group-- Another dashingly handsome face-- traveled with him a dog. How adorable. Gwyn had seen a handful of wild dogs, traveling in packs back in Medreen. Despite her best efforts, none wanted to eat from her hand; Skiddish things, they often were. Didn't stop her from trying, though. Markis Abernathy, stubborn old brute that he was, never allowed her any pets, for fear she mistreat the poor creature. Such a nasty thought; For all her past mistakes, Gwyn would never lay a harmful hand on any creature what had a fluffy coat and wagging tail. "Well, aren't you the cutest chap here?" She mentioned playfully in the pup's direction, her expression lighting up with childlike excitement, "Yes you are. Are you going to help us defeat a nasty bird-woman? Hmm?~"

Just as she bent down to offer the lad a soft pat on the head, Fletcher piped up again, "If there is but one time you do not question me, consider now the appropriate time. Hide." He ducked into the adjacent wood, and soon the man and his dog followed suit. Perplexed, Gwyn raised her head to the sky to see what the fuss was about-- Crows. A handful of them, she counted. Perhaps more she just couldn't see, what with her vision beginning to blur at it's edges. She squinted at them, unsure of the danger at least two of their party seemed to detect.

Baldur, too, didn't notice this mysterious threat either, and followed after Fletcher, "Look, if you abandon the mission now, you won't get any money. That means no booze, no whores, and you'll be drunk and alone in a dark forest with a harpy. At least let one of us take you back, ya?"

Gwyn wasn't listening to either of them. Eyes transfixed, she watched the silhouette of a crow pass across the midnight sky, before perching itself at the tip of one such tree nearby; With a hazy, drunken eye, she followed it, staring at it curiously. It's head cocked to the side in response, it's own dark eye turning to greet hers. As if it were observing her back. The sight sent a chill up her spine; Was this the working of the sickness? Or was it the booze filling her with paranoia? Instinctively, she took a step back, eyes still transfixed on the crow staring her down, "..Baldur," She said cautiously, a hand flailing in his direction to get his attention, "Baldur, perhaps we should.."

Without finishing her sentence, Gwyn makes a swift b-line for the nearest tree off the path-- Nearly tripping over her own feet, she collapses behind it, pressing her back to the bark. Both hands clasp the hilts of two random daggers, not yet drawing them, but readying herself in case they were needed. When she looked over to the side, toward Fletcher and the death grip he had on his own hiding place, she whispers fervently toward him,
"What is it? Is it the harpy? What did you see?"

Mentions: BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda Archie Archie KingHalliwell KingHalliwell Keidivh Keidivh

Shia Foxcourt

"I'd say your guess is as good as any, my good man. I don't always know where my words were first stolen from, but that seems close enough.”

Shia cocked his head. “Are you certain? I spent many a year in the capital city, you know. You look as though you might fit right in.”

It was meant as a compliment, but it was difficult to know whether it would be taken as such. There was no denying that the city and, indeed, the court itself was not what it once was. He shuddered slightly despite the warm weather and started to hand the flask back when it was snatched up rather quickly by the massive executioner from before, who wasted little time in downing a swig.

"What you mentioned earlier is true,” the executioner announced when he lowered the flask again. "Devon has a reputation for being cost efficient. The only reason I've never been stiffed before is, as an executioner, he'd have to hire me again. Our current line of work does not lend to return business."

Perhaps, and perhaps not.

Unbeknownst to his companions, word of similar ventures had sprung up everywhere with reports even as far away as Foxcourt and its satellite provinces. And every report was almost nearly the same when Shia had examined them: reports of disappearances, attacks, and strange happenings. It was almost all nonsense, certainly . . . but . . . He squinted out at the darkness beyond the torchlight, frowning. It was getting darker.

Ah, I need another drink . . .

Baldur, however, was not quite finished.

"We should return the peasants to him when he is out conducting business, not in the keep,” the tall executioner was saying. “We can't make direct threats against the lord's magistrate, but he'll be more honest if he's outnumbered."

“Maybe,
Shia said slowly. “But he’ll expect the same from us, with a crowd watching.”

"On that note, if your memory is correct. Devon's included an out clause in our contract. If even one of the peasants are dead, he has an excuse not to pay us. If that's the case, I'll still charge at the harpy for my own entertainment. But, knowing Devon, we'll lose any hope of payment."

Shia opened his mouth, intending to reassure the executioner, but the woman who had come to walk near them to share in the brief drinking merriment beat him to the punch.

"At any rate, I hardly think the pay matters, not when we're this“ -- she held out her finger and thumb an inch together – “close to finding the blasted monster. We can worry about wringing that walking broomstick dry when we are sure and well alive to do so, aye?"

Shia smiled faintly and said, “You’re both a lady and scholar, miss. I was about to suggest that very thing as it happens. Ah, the flask…” He accepted it from Gwynn, took a long draught to feel the tingle, then wiped his mouth on the back of his glove and coughed. “Out of curiosity, what in Seven's name is in this?” he asked, looking Fletcher’s way through a faint sputter.

Though he never did get to find out.

The foreign warrior, Kaykavus, as Shia had learned he was called, was addressing the group about his plan to tackle the harpy when he found it.

Shia whistled softly, impressed by the man’s thoroughness of thought on the matter. With the alcohol having calmed his unease a bit, the nobleman brandished his newly acquired pike and nodded.

“Bit of like a hunt, then eh? That's the ticket. Though I imagine friend executioner and myself ought to be in the front row. Our weapons have a bit of range advantage, you see.”

"This...is a fairly solid plan,
Fletcher chimed in at last from his other side, “and I would otherwise agree, however... what if the convenient, magical letter is a trick?"

Shia blinked in mild confusion and glanced around. Seeing that no one else looked the slightest bit befuddled by the thief’s what-if, he grimaced and rubbed his jaw.

Maybe he’d just misheard. After all, there were no such things as magical letters.

“Errr …” he started to say, grasping for a response, but was once again saved the trouble as the blonde thief looked at him and squinted as if he had just had some sort of bizarre mid-trail epiphany.

"Humor me for the moment, good ser...does the 'Braelton Incident' ring a bell?"

Shia nearly tripped over his own pike in surprise.

“How did you – ?” he spluttered, but as the name ‘Braelton’ took firm root in his mind, a confused helter-skelter of images flurried across his brain through a fog. A dice game with stacked odds, and Ryam standing guard at the door. They had been waiting for someone. Someone was coming … And then he saw a faint image of a curly-haired barmaid coming ‘round with ribbons in her hair and a platter stacked high with clean mugs. “On the house!” she was saying to a ragged cheer of applause. A blonde stranger joined their table. Laughing . . . A different game. A blue bustier. A woman’s screeching. And then . . . chaos. Running. Running. Running . . .

And then Shia couldn’t remember anymore. However, the blonde stranger’s face now had a name behind it, and his face flushed red in embarrassment.

“Never heard of the place,” he coughed, and then strode forward to the head of the pack before the blonde thief said anything more about it. Truth be told, he his head felt all funny now that Braelton was mentioned – all memory of it fragmented and calamitous as though his mind had been tossed through a blender.

What happened there?

On the very rim of the torchlight, one of their more silent companions was smoking a cigarette, his dog idly sniffing about in the grass. Gwynn, it seemed, had noticed the dog, too, for Shia heard her say a few playful words about the dog helping them to defeat the ‘nasty-birdwoman’. It was a strangely wholesome sight despite the late hour. He chuckled and had just started to relax again when suddenly Fletcher’s tense voice broke through the chatter.

"If there is but one time you do not question me, consider now the appropriate time. Hide."

Startled at the surprising exigency in the rogue’s tone, Shia whipped around, but the thief was already in motion, hurling himself to the line of trees. The rest of the crew were not so quick to react. They peered at each other uncertainly, the easy evening banter dying on the spot.

That was when Shia first noticed the eerie hush all around them. No birds, no crickets, no frogs. Nothing. Only an ominous stillness.

The dog was the first to move. Out of the corner of his eye, Shia saw the animal grasp his owner’s sleeve in his teeth and drag the man out beyond the light. All the animal’s fur was standing on end. Shia lifted his pike into the armed position and tried to judge which way safe to run. But as he was getting his bearings, he noticed one member of the group seemed oblivious to the threat around them.

Baldur, the biggest and most obvious of them all, was stalking towards the place Fletcher had darted to, looking quite disgruntled.

"Look, if you abandon the mission now, you won't get any money. That means no booze, no whores, and you'll be drunk and alone in a dark forest with a harpy. At least let one of us take you back, ya?"

"..Baldur,"
Gwynn said nervously, "Baldur, perhaps we should.."

Shia had had enough. Lowering his pike, he charged forward and went to go hide behind one of the trees. Branches and brambles clawed at his sides for a split-second or two before his boot hit a particularly gnarled chunk of root that sent him sprawling face-first into a patch of briars.

Fucking ow.

Mentions:
BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda KingHalliwell KingHalliwell mothspit mothspit Archie Archie Keidivh Keidivh The Gunrunner The Gunrunner & Dog.

Basically all of team ornithophobia.

Last edited:
[div class=biggie]
[div class=bg]
[div class=bigcenter]
Alrick Gottzmann

[div class=left]
Alrick.jpg
■ ■ ■
With: The walking dead
Mention: Archie Archie Whisker Whisker BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda King Sundew King Sundew The Gunrunner The Gunrunner mothspit mothspit [/USER]

■ ■ ■

[/div][div class=right]
Hearing Fletcher respond in such a serious manner caught Alrick off guard for a moment, adding just a hint more proof that there was something more to the boy than he lead on. Were his childish antics just a facade? Something to throw off those around, to make them underestimate the threat he presented. If so he did a decent job of it, as he came off as proper arse upon their first meeting. It was clear now he'd have to keep a closer eye on blondie now, as if he didn't have enough people to worry about. Or maybe it was just the alcohol? No... There is something hidden beneath the cloak he wears...

Brushing this thought to the side for the moment, Alrick shrugged his shoulders to Flethcers remark. "That I do, but that's because I do not waste it. I can't say the same of you, at least not yet. But I won't cast final judgement on a man I haven't even known for a day. I usually give it two." A small grin appeared on his face for a moment, pleased with his little joke. If it could even be considered such. Elissa always said you had a shite sense of humor.

"As for arrogance, I would disagree. I simply hold firm to my convictions." Even as he said this however a feeling of unease sank into his chest. The words rang to familiar, spoken in another life he didn't care to revisit. Was he truly slipping into such beliefs again due to his desperation now. Yet how could not be consumed by his purpose when it was all he had left to live for? Do not question your purpose, the same mistakes will not be made again.

Taken away from his thoughts once more by Gwyn, Alrick simply gave a nod to her as he took another drag from his own pipe. The tobacco did well to ease his mind, though it didn't same the sweet blissful silence that alcohol did.

For now he would have to settle for listening to Nadir. While he didn't have any true plan either, at the very least he seemed to be thinking ahead, looking for ways to use the environment to their advantage. He even seemed to have some understanding of unit formations, only growing the mans mystique. "Well, it's not much to go off of, but its better than what we have. Which is nothing, just to remind everyone."

Of course no one seemed interested to hear it as Fletcher and Gwyn largely disregarded the discussion. The lad who had barely uttered a word the whole time finally decided to chime in, only to tell himself and Nadir to be quiet. I think the mans dog has more social skills than his master. "What can I say lad, I prefer not to blindly charge at something that can kill me without some forethought." Reaching down to the hound, he gave it a few scritches beneath his jaw. "You at least have a plan boy? Heh, you probably have more brains than all of us put together yeah?" The only answer he received was a light tail wag and tilt of the neck. He could respect a man of few words.

Baldur of all people raised his voice in agreement with his own. Honestly Alrick should have expected the man would be willing to be Harpy bait, as he seemed to either think he was invincible as many a youth does, or he simply cared not for death. He couldn't quite say which was more concerning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the conversation died down, a sickening feeling began to take root once more in Alricks chest, far different from the usual feeling when he had when lost in thought. The taste of foul liquid began to creep onto his tongue, and a foul smell began to creep around him. It has begun.

"What has?"

As if on cue, Fletcher called for everyone to hide. Looking to where Gwyn's eyes gazed, he found crows flying above them. The foul taste and smell only grew as they drew closer. The Black Waters were upon them. "Well shite." Was all Alrick said as he made his way towards the rest of his companions, rolling his eyes as he saw the noble bloke trip gracefully into some conveniently placed briars. Grabbing the man by the arm, Alrick quickly (and likely painfully) dragged the man further into the underbrush to hide with the rest of the company. Baldur and Gwyn seemed quite confused as to Fletchers actions, while Connor and the noble simply seemed happy to follow suit.

Alrick himself would have questioned the boys actions were it not the strange sensations overtaking him. Something in his core knew he was right. Stamping out the ashes of his pipe, he stayed low, hammer at the ready. For what that was however, he didn't know. Hearing Gwyn's hushed whispers, the ex-knight struggled to offer an explanation.

"Can't you feel it m'lady. The air has become foul, as if a miasma has suddenly sprung up around us. It is here. What it is though... I can't say." He knew it wasn't helpful, but he was simply trying to understand himself what was happening.

[/div]
[div class=bigcenter2]

“And yet, unworthy as I am, I must endure. I must fight until the dawn breaks this unending night, lest it swallow me whole.”
[/div]
[/div]

[/div]
[/div]

[div class=whut]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
Kaykavus Nadir[/div]

OYcgSsv.jpg

[/div][div class=speaks]

Kaykavus lets out a frustrated sigh; the map is detailed enough to have a vague idea of where to go, but that continues to be a problem - it is vague. He tries to compare the trees with more specificity, trying to garner how much longer this walk will be, but the attempts are near useless. His brows furrow, and he frowns beneath the chainmail. He hears Shia behind him,
“Bit of like a hunt, then eh? That's the ticket. Though I imagine friend executioner and myself ought to be in the front row. Our weapons have a bit of range advantage, you see.” Sensible, he muses, and Alrick adds his own minor support,
"Well, it's not much to go off of, but its better than what we have. Which is nothing, just to remind everyone." Indeed, he thinks again, letting some small amount of pride lift his next few steps. The feeling does not last long, as the blonde man brings another jolt of reality:
"This...is a fairly solid plan, and I would otherwise agree, however..." Of course it is to a drunk man, he thinks, nearly rolling his eyes, but his contempt quickly twists into doubt
"...what if the convenient, magical letter is a trick?" It causes him a moment of pause. Kaykavus had not considered that... why had he not considered that? The issue is obvious, it is something he should have considered. What is wrong with me today?
"Kaktretsin." It is all he offers in response. If the letter is a trick, there is no telling what they are actually hunting. It could be anything.
Shia seems to like it at least, and offers some further help in solidifying how it should be implimented.

A new set of footprints tickles his ears, just before Gwyndillin breaks off to ogle the new arrival's dog. He looks back and stares at the pet with confusion; it is a breed he has never seen before. This one is far larger than any other he has seen before, with a coat of black hair and long snout. Even so, Gwyndillin's reaction to it is sickening, and he must resist the urge to spit in disgust. Where he is from, dogs are pests - Mangy, greedy, persistent pests. In his travels he'd even smacked one down from his table on instinct, only to have a pan thrown in his face. As fascinating as the foreign lands are, their strange love of these things has been one of the harder cultural quirks to stomach. “If you all keep being as talkative as you are, we’ll alert the beast to our whereabouts long before we see it, a plan won’t do us any good at that point.” Kaykavus shrugs, perhaps, but enjoyed listening to the others' chatter. “Does the map offer any useful information?”

"Where to go."

Suddenly, he feels something strange. A shift in his desires, but so dramatic that it clearly could not be his own. A compulsion to Hide. Now. It comes just before the blonde man speaks,
"If there is but one time you do not question me, consider now the appropriate time. Hide." Nadir looks up, seeing nothing but a crow. One single crow. The desire to hide builds in him, but he can not tell why. He looks back to see the others scramble for hiding spots, all except for Nadir. Content to shrug off the feeling, he turns forward to continue his walk and declare them children. It is then that he sees those white dots again - Distant, low to the ground...
"Those are not stars," he whispers. His body suddenly straightens, his fingers go limp and drop the torch, before his boot furiously stomps out the flame. The fires are snuffed out quickly, leaving a few embers in the dirt. Then, his movements stiff and jolting, he runs for a tree and huddles low to the ground - He falls into the fetal position, desperately wrapping his arms around his legs and burying his head between his knees. Must not be seen. Can not be seen.

[/div]
[/div]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]Your sins are mine alone[/div][/div]

[/div]

BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda Keidivh Keidivh Whisker Whisker mothspit mothspit Archie Archie KingHalliwell KingHalliwell

[class=biggie] width: 100%; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center; clear:both; font-size:13px; color: #1d1b15; font-weight:100; display:flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; height: 100%; [/class] [class=bg]background-image: url(http://dndspeak.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/fantasy_forest_by_renanrdgs-d7wt6hq.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-size: cover; background-attachment: fixed; padding:30px; width: 100%; display:flex; flex-flow: row nowrap; height: 100%; [/class] [class=bigcenter] background: RGBA(11,11,12,0.9) ; text-align: left; margin: 0 auto; padding:10px; color:#eed9cd; font-weight:400; border: 5px solid #361316; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; padding:20px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:90% [/class] [class=bigcenter2] text-align: center; padding:30px; margin: 0 auto; color:#eed9cd; max-width:900px; word-spacing: 2px; letter-spacing: 1px; box-sizing: border-box; font-size:13px; width:100%; clear: both; [/class] [class=left] padding:20px; color: #e2e8e5; box-sizing: border-box; width:30%; float: left; [/class] [class=right] padding: 20px; box-sizing: border-box; color: #e2e8e5; width: 65%; float: left; max-height: 900px; overflow: auto; margin-left: 10px; border-bottom:1px dotted #d68b5e; font-size: 14px; line-height: 22px; [/class] [class name=bg maxWidth="800px"] margin: 0 auto; padding: 10px[/class] [class name=bigcenter maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=bigcenter2 maxWidth="800px"] padding: 0px; margin: 0 auto; width:90%;[/class] [class name=left maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; float: none; width: 90%; text-align: center;[/class] [class name=right maxWidth="800px"]margin: 0 auto; padding: 20px; margin-top:20px; max-height: 100%; float: none; width: 90%[/class]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=bg]
[div class=bigcenter]
Fletcher Niles Cambria

[div class=left]

⸸ ⸸ ⸸
Mood Music: NIN - Frail

Quest:
Branch 1: Ravens & Revelations

Other:

Whatever you want the crows to say, go for it. If you want to attack them, please do. If you want to light them on fire with Fletch's booze and a torch, please do.
This is your baby. Have fun with it, there are no wrong answers, even if we don't kill them all.
Because that leads to another side plot down the road :P

⸸ ⸸ ⸸

[/div][div class=right]

"That I do, but that's because I do not waste it. I can't say the same of you, at least not yet. But I won't cast final judgement on a man I haven't even known for a day. I usually give it two." Fletcher had appreciated the small grin, and as much as an irreverent drunk could, he mimicked it, but it was followed shortly after by another statement that set his smile into a thin expression of veiled amusement.

"As for arrogance, I would disagree. I simply hold firm to my convictions." Something picked at the back of his mind, like talons digging into the flesh. The thin expression faded; he couldn't say why he felt unsettled at the moment, only that he knew he had to hide it with a well-placed chuckle.

⸸ ⸸ ⸸

"..Don't think this a usual practice of mine. But, it's only fair, no?" Gwyn had passed him the metaphorical olive branch he had been hoping for; the pipe. He took it between slender, careful fingers. Once it was in his hands, he weighed the options of, yes, still figuring out how to thrift it, and fail gracefully. That could wait for now. Or, perhaps, in perpetuity; what would soon come to pass would thwart whatever further shenanigans Fletcher would wish to pursue.

The pale thief inhaled the sweet tobacco and let ashen rings dot across the dark sky, intercepting the glow of the moon. Pipes were the only way. He had never been that good with rolling papers, but apparently the rather handsome one in their midst was, because he was smoking sans a pipe. One would think a thief with precise control over his digits wouldn't be incapable of such feats. But Fletcher, as always, was a curious sort. He grew too impatient to make any use of papers; and so they were often left to cinders.

"Thank you. And I won't," he paused, blowing smoke from his nose like beast might, "though I must admit that I do hope your generosity continues," this was said with mischief in his eyes.

⸸ ⸸ ⸸

“How did you – ?” Fletcher had been right. Shia had been that wayward nobleman he'd dared into death-defying feats; namely ganking bustiers, which inherently wasn't death-defying, depending on how agreeable people were. However, they had had an elderly, hefty Mistress with a battle axe to contend with. They had to flee; Fletcher never knew if that poor sod managed to escape. And now, here he was.

“Never heard of the place,” coughed the auburn-haired fellow. Fletcher had moved to say something, but his tipsy antics lead him to stumble, and the opportunity was nearly lost. He finally managed just one utterance before all hell broke loose:

"Yes you have~" he yelled after Shia, hands cupping his face to make the words travel.

⸸ ⸸ ⸸

“If you all keep being as talkative as you are, we’ll alert the beast to our whereabouts long before we see it. A plan won’t do us any good at that point,” the handsome one said, with his large, furry friend in tow. Little did he know just how correct he was, and little did he know that the map he was asking Kaykavus about would do no good for a time. While Alrick and Gwyn fawned over the canine, and Connor tried to make sense of where they were with Kaykavus—who responded bluntly—Fletcher was watching the skies.

"You at least have a plan boy? Heh, you probably have more brains than all of us put together yeah?"

"Well, aren't you the cutest chap here? Yes you are. Are you going to help us defeat a nasty bird-woman? Hmm?~"

Fletcher would've found this fawning over a pup—a very large one indeed—impossibly endearing and might have drunkenly joined along, if not for the pressing matter of the all-seeing birds from beyond the veil.

⸸ ⸸ ⸸

At first, there was but one. That number jumped to five. Once Fletcher got a good look at one of them, he noticed they had three eyes. He didn't know why they'd startled him into paranoid, sloppy half-sobriety, but he did know that they were a threat.

The resounding bleat within his mind of 'they know' pummeled the inside of his skull. They know what? What could they possibly know that kindled fear in his gut? For a man who didn't fear death, he feared these winged assholes. It seemed so wholly idiotic to the pale thief; as though something other than himself had placed this fear.

Place it, something had.

In that moment, the savvy canine nipped the handsome man gently and steered him towards safety. Safety being subjective; because they'd already been spotted, and everything in Fletcher's mind was screaming at him to burrow deep within the earth to escape these seemingly 'harmless' birds. Kaykavus quite simply walked around like nothing unusual was afoot, at the moment. How could it be unusual? Just harmless birds, right?

Baldur also, apparently, found them harmless. Harmless enough to prod the blond's motives.

"It's a murder of crows," offered the large executioner, who managed to find his way to the pale thief's ear to whisper.
"Look, if you abandon the mission now, you won't get any money. That means no booze, no whores, and you'll be drunk and alone in a dark forest with a harpy. At least let one of us take you back, ya?"

The pale thief turned as if encumbered by several tons of stone. He managing to angle his head up enough to glare at Baldur from beneath strong brows. He wasn't the drunken fool spouting stupid sayings to start up sordid scenarios; he was something very different.

"Baldur, perhaps we should..."

Shia planted himself, face first, into a briar-patch. Alrick moved to make the assist, dragging him through the underbrush like a sack of potatoes. Party member number one: felled by his own clumsy feet and a patch of briar. The blond thief tried to regain his composure, pressing his fingers to the bridge of his nose.

Kaykavus was next and barreled past into the trees, huddling down to the ground to take up the fetal position—finally he had some sense about him. However, what he mentioned sent the blond's skin crawling.

"Those are not stars." Great, something else to fucking chew us up and spit us out like a cow gnashes cud, thought the thief. What it was, he could not say. But at this moment, he had to attend to a lumbering fool. The blond closed his eyes, collecting his darting thoughts, palpable irritation, and insidious fear.

"Baldur I...appreciate your concern for me," Fletcher began as he pressed his hands to the tall man's chest in a move than could be read as antagonistically flirtatious, "But I am not 'abandoning the mission'," each word warranted a tap with his fingers. Then beneath an angled brow he searched the other man's eyes for some small tell of mental activity.

"Now be a good boy, listen to the lady, and make yourself much smaller than you currently are."

The blond instantly stooped, attempting to drag the tall fool down with him if possible, and jut his own back against a tree. Fletcher managed to obscure himself beneath the branches as a crow flung itself past where they hid.

"What is it? Is it the harpy? What did you see?" Gwyn whispered his way, obviously taking his warning to heart. He hoped Kaykavus would also answer, so they knew more of what they were dealing with. Fletcher peered past the tree, pulse pounding in his ears. Another crow dipped, and now, there were twenty.

"Can't you feel it m'lady. The air has become foul, as if a miasma has suddenly sprung up around us. It is here. What it is though... I can't say," Alrick spoke, sensing something the others weren't, but something he and Fletcher seemed able to pick up on. This was the catalyst for a sentence Fletcher could never have devised on his own. It sounded old in his throat, though it was in his cadence. The pitch was right, the vaguely Tallisian accent, the timber. But it was something else entirely.

"...and After Cloaked Spirits With Eyes of Three Split Air In Twain With Sin's Word, Come. If Not To Ravage As Locusts Make, Come. If Wayward Flock Bades Return, Come. One's Defilement Sits on Thrones of Skulls; Obscured-lo...Come. For We Know Not Which Death Harbingers Bring, and Never Can, and Cannot Run,"
foreign words spilled from his lips in a stream, which Fletcher tried to stupidly stop with his hand.

The pale thief folded himself into the tree, hand clasping his mouth shut, blue eyes wide with fear. Fear from both the words he'd just borderline vomited from his person, whatever Kaykavus had seen, and of these stupid, stupid birds.

"ᴀʜ, ᴀʜ, ᴀʜ. ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴜꜱ ᴀ ʟɪᴇ, ʟɪᴇ-ᴍᴀᴋᴇʀ. ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴜꜱ ᴀ ʟɪᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜱᴋɪɴ. ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴜꜱ ᴀ ʟɪᴇ, ʟɪᴇ-ᴍᴀᴋᴇʀ. ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴜꜱ ᴀ ʟɪᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʟɪᴠᴇꜱ ᴡɪᴛʜɪɴ. ᴀʜ, ᴀʜ, ᴀʜ," chortled a gaggle of crows, who begun their descent. Soon, they'd spill free whatever heinous acts and deep rooted secrets were closest to the surface, for all of them. And Fletcher, poor, stupid Fletcher, had absolutely no idea why he knew any of this.

Try, they could, to stop their thoughts from racing to the sing-song beaks of these possessed creatures, and they might very well succeed if they were strong willed. But where they'd fail was in the sheer number of them all. Twenty no longer—he could no longer count how many he saw.

In a gust, they burst through the treeline like liquid, black waters all of it, in feathers and beaks and many eyes. And still, they spoke, and spoke, and spoke sin as they surged.

"ᴀʜ, ᴀʜ, ᴀʜ "̸̢̙͕̺̘̮͛͒͒̒̒̍͝ͅȦ̵̺̹̇̉͒̋ͅH̷̛̻̱͇̾̿̓̊̒́͂̕,̴̫͖̗̣͈̟̂͊͒̊̆͊̄͝ͅ ̵̮̰̟̘̮͍̻͚͕̆̿̾̿̕͜A̵̡̙̱̘̭͚̦̅̏̉̇̋̈́͗̊͠H̷̢͖͚̭̻̦͓̉̄͐̾͗͂͘͠,̵̥͊̅ ̸̨̛͕͖̞̞̞̝Ǎ̴̡̜̲̼͇͕͕̭̩̒͛̈͆̏͗H̶͚̀̿̀̿̆̀̔̉̓"̶͖̘̣̹͚̇́̾͗̓͂͊̑"

Fletcher, in this moment, was coiled in on himself. Something in his bones stirred to action; he could feel strange heat spread through his fingertips. But nothing happened. What he wouldn't give for some otherworldly power right about now, to rend this undulating ocean of birds to pillow stuffings. But all he could do was feel his heart beating out of his chest as he sunk lower to the ground.

If it were possible for birds to melt into one, primordial, sentient flux, they were. Then they'd split again, and make their moves to claw and rend. And all the while, they spoke, and spoke, and spoke.

"We're intruders on Their soil," the thief managed, finally, unsure if he meant the people around him, or something...different. Fletcher didn't know how to stymie this onslaught. If Valoria's staff was any indication of her magical prowess, she would've been a bastion of hope right now. Sadly, she was off running around gathering information from decrepit old people. What he wouldn't have given for pyromancy. Perhaps, he'd even sell his soul for the talent.

Unfortunately for Fletcher, he already had.

[/div]
[div class=bigcenter2]

[/div]
[/div]

[/div]
[/div]

1.jpg "Can't you feel it m'lady. The air has become foul, as if a miasma has suddenly sprung up around us. It is here. What it is though... I can't say."

Gwyndilin shared a look with Alrick, the color draining from her face entirely as he mentioned the sordid atmosphere, "I certainly can now, you ominous bastard.." She whispered back with a tense, anxious tone. Her drunken fingers began fiddling with the various accouterments of her attire-- Namely the set of daggers running across her chest. She pulled two of them free and clutched them tightly to her person. They were just crows, surely? Nothing she couldn't handle. Hell, if she could kill a man in the heat of battle, she can kill a damn bird... Sober, that is. When she stood to her feet, she shifted weight from foot to foot, attempting to gather her balance in the midst of an intoxicated stupor. Then, as if the mood couldn't be killed thoroughly enough, Fletcher spoke again; This time, in an unfamiliar pattern to his usual speech.

"...and After Cloaked Spirits With Eyes of Three Split Air In Twain With Sin's Word, Come. If Not To Ravage As Locusts Make, Come. If Wayward Flock Bades Return, Come. One's Defilement Sits on Thrones of Skulls; Obscured-lo...Come. For We Know Not Which Death Harbingers Bring, and Never Can, and Cannot Run,"

Gwyn's head slowly turned to stare at him from across the brush, the very words causing her heart to plummet into her stomach. The look on his face was enough to tell her the words were not his own. Something had pulled them from the back of his throat. Something very, very not good. She shared another concerned look between the men closest to her, swallowing hard. Gwyn just stood there, back to the tree, too terrified to move. It was one thing to fight waves of men with swords and shields-- But she had never encountered the workings of the sickness like this before. Heard stories, of course, but never came within an inch of it. Just birds, She thought, Father, give me strength.

As her heart pounded furiously, practically bursting from her chest, she decided to crane her neck around the tree, just so see how many were waiting for them.. only to whip back behind her perch with a quickness. It was only a second, but she couldn't count how many she saw. Too many. A viscous, feathery mass of beak and talon. To make matters worse, they chanted, in a voice so eerily similar to a humans, it sent a shiver up the womans spine, covering her pale skin in goosebumps, "ᴀʜ, ᴀʜ, ᴀʜ. ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴜꜱ ᴀ ʟɪᴇ, ʟɪᴇ-ᴍᴀᴋᴇʀ. ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴜꜱ ᴀ ʟɪᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜱᴋɪɴ. ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴜꜱ ᴀ ʟɪᴇ, ʟɪᴇ-ᴍᴀᴋᴇʀ. ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴜꜱ ᴀ ʟɪᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʟɪᴠᴇꜱ ᴡɪᴛʜɪɴ. ᴀʜ, ᴀʜ, ᴀʜ."

"Fucking hell,"
She muttered, the back of her skull hitting the tree and her eyes slamming shut, "Just birds. They're just birds. Birds bleed. Birds die."

"ᴀʜ, ᴀʜ, ᴀʜ "̸̢̙͕̺̘̮͛͒͒̒̒̍͝ͅȦ̵̺̹̇̉͒̋ͅH̷̛̻̱͇̾̿̓̊̒́͂̕,̴̫͖̗̣͈̟̂͊͒̊̆͊̄͝ͅ ̵̮̰̟̘̮͍̻͚͕̆̿̾̿̕͜A̵̡̙̱̘̭͚̦̅̏̉̇̋̈́͗̊͠H̷̢͖͚̭̻̦͓̉̄͐̾͗͂͘͠,̵̥͊̅ ̸̨̛͕͖̞̞̞̝Ǎ̴̡̜̲̼͇͕͕̭̩̒͛̈͆̏͗H̶͚̀̿̀̿̆̀̔̉̓"̶͖̘̣̹͚̇́̾͗̓͂͊̑"

They cried as they flew in and from the trees, causing Gwyn to collapse and hit the dirt once more. This time, she flattened herself behind a bush, both daggers in hand. "We're intruders on Their soil," Fletcher mentioned from his spot. He was just as petrified as she was, retreating into himself with every flap of their wings and caw of their beaks. Kaykavus had done the same, muttering to himself about stars. Connor was.. somewhere, from her line of sight, and Alrick and Shia seemed just as unsure of what to do.

She opened her mouth to command these men, since none were inclined to command themselves, a touch of the old Gwyn peaking through-- But, something stopped her. Suddenly, a feeling began pooling at the center of her chest. An anxious, troublesome feeling, as if.. something was watching her. Something deadly. Slowly, she looked away from Fletcher and the others, her eyes settling on a single, solitary crow, only a few feet from where she lay in the grass in front of her. Their eyes locked, like before, and Gwyn's entire form tensed; As if she were gazing into the eyes of a gorgon, having turned her to stone. It stood there on it's little feet, no taller than the weeds it was surrounded by.

"Captain Abernathy!" Came it's shrill squawk, wings outstretching. The woman's face fell entirely. It was the only thing it said, but she refused to believe she had heard it correctly.

She could only muster a petrified, "..what..?"

"Captain Abernathy!"
It mimicked again. But this time, the voice sounded.. familiar. The pitch lower, yet somehow filled with youth-- It was a young man's voice, one she recognized plainly. It's tone was fervent, shouting, as if in pain. It called again, "Captain, please! I-i.. I can't see! My eyes! Oh lord, my eyes!"

The swashbuckling woman jumped to her feet, filled with a newfound rush of adrenaline. She eagerly backed away from the crow, as if it had just spoken with the voice of God himself. That voice.. It was like it could see into her very memories, and pulled the memory of his voice from her mind. He was young, younger than she at the time, wanting to prove himself on the battlefield like his father. And when he died that day, the day that has tormented her since, he called out for her in that same way. With that same voice. With those same words. His death was one of many she carried with her, but it was the one that pained her the most. Her face contorted into a strange blend of emotions; Of fear, of anguish, and of regret.

"It's cold, Captain," The bird chirped again, much wearier this time, hopping closer to her in the grass, "Could I have a blanket? You can afford one, can't you? Please, just one blanket--"

Gwyn had heard enough. Before the infernal thing spat another word, she abruptly launched herself at it, plunging both daggers into it's small body with an angered cry. It squawked back in pain, a black, thick syrup beginning to pour from the wounds. On her knees did she began stabbing it, repeatedly, plunging the blades through it's tiny feathered form and into the earth beneath it. Once the life had surely left it, and she stood again, her breath ragged and heavy, did she look finally to the others. She could only imagine what was going through their minds.. But it didn't matter now. Her hands, stained with a sticky, black tar, reached for another knife on her person, and gestured with it toward the men around her.

"..There, you see?" She inhaled sharply, attempting to both calm herself and rally their efforts while the adrenaline was still coursing through her veins, "Not so scary now, are they?"

..Yes, yes they were. Couldn't let that get to them, though, otherwise they'd be ripe for the picking. It had been some years since she fought alongside others, but if she was going to make it out alive-- If any of them were-- They needed to act. Like when they had all first marched into this hellish wood, somewhere inside her, Gwyn found her resolve.

She was getting a goddamn sweetroll tonight, so help her God.

"On your feet, boys. We have a flock to kill."

mentions: everyone basically

Last edited:
[div class=whut]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
Baldur Kloss[/div]

[/div][div class=speaks]

The Forest
Baldur watched as the rest of his team ducked for cover, except Kaykavaus. No, Kaykavaus was a brave man, and the nonchalance with which he dismissed the threat made Baldur smirk.

"Baldur... maybe we should...." Gwyn started. At that, Baldur scowled. Even this woman was scared of the crows? Did all these out-of-towners come from a place where it was normal to be scared of crows?

"Baldur I...appreciate your concern for me," Fletcher replied, pressing his hand against Baldur's chest a little too firmly for acquaintances, something that made the executioner smirk. "But I am not 'abandoning the mission', Now be a good boy, listen to the lady, and make yourself much smaller than you currently are."

"Oh, please..." he started, shaking his head.

"Look, you are demoralizing the group and causing everyone to pani-" he started, but he wasn't able to finish.

"Those are not stars," Kaykavaus said at that moment. Baldur looked around the tree, and could see that even the armored foreigner was running to the bushes now. He looked up - four crows had become twenty. Then, the blonde rogue started spewing words in some foreign language, and Baldur could see that Kaykavaus had curled up into the same fetal position. For the first time in their quest, his eyes widened.

"ᴀʜ, ᴀʜ, ᴀʜ. ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴜꜱ ᴀ ʟɪᴇ, ʟɪᴇ-ᴍᴀᴋᴇʀ. ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴜꜱ ᴀ ʟɪᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜱᴋɪɴ. ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴜꜱ ᴀ ʟɪᴇ, ʟɪᴇ-ᴍᴀᴋᴇʀ. ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴜꜱ ᴀ ʟɪᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʟɪᴠᴇꜱ ᴡɪᴛʜɪɴ. ᴀʜ, ᴀʜ, ᴀʜ," the crows started shouting, apparently directed at the blonde who was spewing nonsense.

"What the..." Baldur started. Talking crows? This day was getting crazier by the second. No, not crazier, more exciting! Baldur reassured himself, his expression reverting to a grin as he comforted himself with the knowledge that he and he alone among his companions was holding his ground - even Kaykavaus had fallen victim to demoralization! He, like Le Ravage in Chanson du Ravage, would stand bravely against his foe, never backing down or giving way!

Almost a dozen of the birds descended on Baldur and Fletcher - the pair being incredibly easy to notice due to the former's raving and the latter's large size. This would be Baldur's moment to cut them all down with his Zweihander, as Sir Veltamm Kammer in the Chanson du Veltamm had cut down a sparrow! Grinning, Baldur took a swing at the murder of crows descending on him.

And missed. Never once in his career as an executioner did he have to swing any kind of weapon upwards. His blow lost momentum, his hands lost symmetry midway into the swing, and it wobbled safely out of the line of the first crow.

Baldur's heroic bravado dissipated as his instincts as a grappler took over. Dropping his zweihander, he dove to the ground - back first, tucking his chin in as he was trained to do when he fell on his back. Unfortunately, he was fighting the crows next to a tree, not on his father's training mat, and there happened to be a branch underneath where his head was landing. He felt a thud as the back of his skull hit the branch, grunting in pain. He drew his dagger and his longsword, rearing his legs up as he lay on his backside. This was a position that grapplers from his father's land knew as guard, designed to protect onesself on the ground from humans. Baldur had no clue how it would fare against crows, but, like so many under-trained fighters, in a time of crisis, his body defaulted to what it was trained to do.

As the murder of crows descended on him, Baldur kicked two of them with his legs, slashing at and clipping the wing of a third with his curved longsword. At least two crows made it to hsi face, and some others to his torso. The headsman closed his eyes, his left arm furiously swatting and stabbing above his face as he felt the pain of six claws and three beaks pecking at his face and his skull. He could feel his own hot warm blood running down his face. He felt something in that moment that he had never felt in his life before. It was like an ice shard was running through his stomach, then an ice-cold running through his whole body. Was this what people called terror?

In all his past encounters with horror, Baldur had been the monster. He was either torturing a restrained prisoner, or, as a 6'6" man trained in a foreign grappling art that the people of this land knew little of, had an intrinsic advantage in his many fights in bars or on the road. Towards his victims, Baldur displayed a nonchalance that his father could never figure out. Old Jurgen, having been a mercenary, knew full well the terror of impending death, but Baldur only saw a puzzling scene of people weeping, begging, and screaming because of sensations he had never felt, and could never understand.

Eventually, the clawing stopped. Baldur opened his eyes, only to see nothing but black. He breathed heavily, thinking he had been blinded, before wiping his eyes with his left hand. One of his eyes - the one on the right - could now see. As he lifted his head and returned to guard, he could feel the blood dripping down his face, and cut marks on his leather armor. He was surrounded by four dead birds, a number he had a hard time verifying as he couldn't see on his left side. The birds had retreated to their branches, and were intelligent. Instead of charging suicidally at his guard again, they swooped in from different directions over the next minute, always rapidly elevating once Baldur turned his legs to face them, or right before they were about to be impaled by one of his blades.

The headsman could feel time slow down, and a slow pounding sensation throughout his body. This was what other men called a rush, something that Baldur was infinitely more familiar with.

"Looks like I'm a scarecrow, ya!?" Baldur joked, loud enough for his companions to hear.

But none of them were paying attention. Baldur looked to Gwyn, who appeared to be having a conversation with a crow. The crow addressed her as "Captain Abernathy", and asked her for a blanket. Even she had frozen. Baldur, who had admired adventurers from a young age having read so many tales, felt better about his own lapse into fear knowing that even such an experienced and grizzled veteran was victim of the same. Mustering her strength, Gwyn leapt at the bird and stabbed it. "On your feet, boys. We have a flock to kill." the mercenary declared.

Baldur grinned, his body still shaking. Yes, this was the way to respond to this new sensation, this new terror - to lean into it. To accept that one would take damage, but to resolve to fight and kill all the same.

Another pair of crows made a pass, and this time Baldur had caught onto their pattern. He didn't turn against them until the last minute, kicking one and slashing the second as it climbed using his longsword, which was much lighter than the Zweihander. Soon, however, they would try the same tactic against him that they had used against Gwyn.

"Ah, Ah!" a crow cawed, landing in front of Baldur and cocking it head.

"Make it stop! I'm innocent! Ah! Ah! All I did was rejected the lord's advances, you have to believe me! Ah!" the crow yelled. Baldur grinned, leaping out of guard and rising to his feet, trying to stab the bird with his sword, but it was too quick and flew away, landing a few steps away.

"You'll have to do better than that!" Baldur shouted. He had long made his peace with his most horrific jobs, and using those against him wasn't going to work.

"Zen how about zis?" the same crow asked, opening its mouth and speaking in a deep, gruff voice. Baldur's eyes widened. That was his father. "You abandoned me. After taking your mozza from zis vorld"

"I never met her, I don't care" Baldur retorted, trying to conjour up some of his lost bravado.

"You don't care about anything. You are a monster. Everyone knows it. I know it. Your new "companions" know it. Zey vill kill you ven zis is ova - not because zey vant your money, but because everyone you have alvays met has been disgusted by you"

"That's your fault for having a kid!" Baldur shot back - forgetting that he wasn't actually talking to his father for a moment. He gripped his sword tighter, seething as one more bird took a pass at him. It caught him by surprise, in the middle of his conversation, and was able to scratch his neck before his left hand impaled it with his dagger.

"So you do care vat others think?" the crow asked. That seemingly innocuous line stopped Baldur in his tracks. All his life, everyone in town had hated the executioner and his son. His father was more torn and conflicted by that, but Baldur responded by making a show of how few damns he gave. If that wasn't true, the founding pillar of Baldur's identity, the thing that he thought made him special, was gone. Baldur froze, unable to move.

"Yes" he said after a long pause, charging at the crow and cutting it as it attempted to gain lift.

Interactions:
[/div]
[/div]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
"That's not so bad!"
[/div][/div]
[/div]

[div class=biggie]
[div class=bg]
[div class=bigcenter]
Alrick Gottzmann

[div class=left]
Alrick.jpg
■ ■ ■
With: The walking dead

■ ■ ■

[/div][div class=right]
Were it not for the overwhelming of his senses, Alrick might have laughed at Gwyn's remark. It was rather understandable why she didn't appreciate his comment, adding nothing but further terror and confusion to the situation. It was rather unlike him to speak in such a wasteful manner, leading him to wonder where those words came from in the first place. Where these tastes and smells came. The more he tried to figure out what was happening the more his head began to swim. Perhaps he had taken a swig of Flethcers brew? After all, these were just crows, and this wasn't exactly the first time he had an episode such as this.

It became rather difficult to convince himself of this when Nadir began mumbling about stars, and then Fletcher began to speak. Except it wasn't the voice of the cocky blonde boy that he had known throughout this brief walk. It was something primeval, something that shouldn't be. With each word he spoke, it felt as if he received a kick to the side of the head as something within him roiled about. His hammer fell to the ground with a thud as Alrick grasped the sides of his head, doing his best not to black out from the sudden surge of sensations rolling over him. From the Crows. From Fletcher. From Within.

Had Fletcher not silenced his own mouth which seemed to be in rebellion against his person blackness likely would have overtaken him. But the tide was only just beginning to come in, the Black Waters were far from done with them. Taking a moment to try and regain his bearing, a veritable sea of black seemed to have surrounded them. Beady eyes staring deep within, searching, piercing in a way Alrick couldn't think to describe. And then they spoke. Oh gods why could they speak? Bile began to build at the back of his throat as their twisted voices rang out, their very words an abomination to all that was natural. That was right.

Ever deeper they dug, it was as if a worm was burrowing its way through his mind. Until finally it stopped, and for a brief moment he hoped the worst was over. Then they came. The tide poured over them all. Fletcher curled up against a tree, curling up as if he were willing himself to disappear. Gwyn had become entranced by one of the three eyed beasts. Do not fall to despair and madness now boy, you haven't earned your redemption. Fight!

With these words it felt as if the world had suddenly been balanced, the haze lifting if ever so slightly. Grabbing his hammer from the damp grass, Alrick strode forward, swinging with wild abandon. He would not fall here, not to such foul trickery. Another swing, another crow swatted to the ground. Then another, eliciting a pained squawk as its fragile bones shattered. Another, and the skull of a woman fractured, her body falling to the ground like a puppet with its strings cut. A child's scream rang out against his ears, crying for his mommy to get up and run. Alrick stood stark still, color draining from his face as the past stared at him. Those lifeless amber eyes, looking upon him in confused horror as he raised his hammer. The begging of the dirty blonde tyke trying to hold him back, tears streaming down his freckled face.

Then that smell came. The sulfurous fumes of hair, consumed hungrily by flame. The sickening smell of burning flesh wafted around him, causing the man to double over as he finally released the contents of his stomach onto the ground. All around him now trees had become pyres, their occupants wailing as their lidless eyes stared at him.

"Murderer!" A voice called out, the voice of a father he had taken from his son.

"Butcher!" A young woman cried, her simple wedding dress singed and torn.

Finally his eyes rested on her. Sapphire eyes bore into his own, flanked on each side by her dead parents, their wounds apparent. Tears gathered at the corner of his eyes as he struggled to find words as guilt and shame suffocated him.

"Elissa..." Was all he managed to mutter, sounding more like a whimpering child than a hardened man.

"... Sinner." Was the only response she offered. As she spoke, her parents began to advance upon him. Her father, a burly ginger haired man had a part of his head caved in. Her mothers golden locks were stained with her own crimson essence, still pouring from the incision across her neck. Pinning him onto the ground, Alrick offered no resistance, even as his Elissa wandered towards him, dagger in hand. This was right wasn't it? Should this not have been what had always happened? It almost comforted him, knowing justice would be done.

Then he heard Gwyn's voice cry out, it was as if someone had lit a torch in the void. Grabbing hold of this light, reason began to return to the weathered man. "I am all you excuse me of my firefly. Justice will see my day come, but not until you are safe. You will not pay for my sins. I shall do this one thing right before I die!" The shout was like a hammer against glass, the illusion seeming to shatter around him, finding crows all across his body, pecking and tearing. Even now their accusations rang out, only fueling his own rage as he began to strike out with his bare fists.

Finally finding his footing, Alrick managed force himself back onto his feet, once more wielding his hammer. Gwyn and Baldur seemed to be cognizant as well gods be praised. Had it not been for Gwyn's words, he himself may have never found his way out of that living hell. Wiping the blood from his eyes, he moved towards Gwyn while Baldur seemed to be handling his own demons still. Hammer once more at the ready, he offered her a nod in thanks. Fire once more burned within his chest, eager to bring vengeance upon these beasts.

"Lets purge these abominations." The words were muttered in a growl, the feeling of being so violated angering the man in a way few events ever had. "Forgive my earlier weakness, I shall not be found wanting again."

Raising his voice, Alrick shouted over the din of the crows so all could hear him. "Listen not to the foul words these beasts spew my friends, they will only brig you to ruin. Rally us so that we can put an end to this foul sorcery!" Swinging his hammer out, he did his best to drive back the unrelenting creatures. Hopefully group was fairing better than his own.

[/div]
[div class=bigcenter2]

[/div]
[/div]

[/div]
[/div]

[div class=whut]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]
Kaykavus Nadir[/div]

OYcgSsv.jpg

[/div][div class=speaks]

Kaykavus could hear the birds descending upon them. Upon all of them. His arms hold his legs tighter, and his eyes dart around in pure fear. What is this. What is happening to me?
"I can't... I can't move."
The blonde man spoke in some eldritch inhabitant's voice, as the crows cackled away their sins.
"Tell you a lie, lie-maker."
"Captain Abernathy!"
"Murderer!"
"Butcher!"
"Make it stop! I'm innocent!"

He could hear their sins. Which meant... Oh no. As soon as the realization hits him, his body suddenly releases from its hold. He scrambles to his feet and pulls his bow from the sheath at his side - He pulls an arrow free and nocks it into the string with shaking hands. He aligns the arrow with his thumb, holding it straight - He pulls it back, pulling his shoulder-blades together.
"Why betray us, Nadir? What did we do to you?" The voice is familiar, but impossible. "Kalkani, yolda." Kaykavus whips around, but fires the arrow blindly. It flies into the darkness, out of sight, and on the ground sits a singular black crow. It caws at him, mockingly. Nadir stares at it in disbelief, and the bird caws again - "Burn the grains, if they can not eat then they can not resist," a different voice this time, the voice booming with authority. Kaykavus nocks the next arrow, but before he pulls the string back the crow flits its wings and disappears back into its murder.

There is something wrong here, more than what is on the surface. If they can speak both languages, why speak to him with two? Unless it was not just for him. And what power were they using before, that they will not use now? He draws the arrow back, mind racing and adrenaline pumping through his body, aiming towards a group of them and firing for the center. It is not graceful or precise, but the circumstances allow him to be lazy - One bird falls from the group, an arrow through its body. Immediately, five break away from the swarm and dive for him - Three swoop around his head, while two perch on his shoulder and chest to peck at the gaps in his armour. He swings his hands and ducks his head, desperately flailing his arms in an attempt to stop their assault. Sometimes the back of his hand smacks one down, just for another to grip his finger in its beak. They mock him endlessly as they attack
"Please, my son is hungry! He was not with the army, I swear!" The voice of an old woman
"You buried us to our necks, we were still alive when the dogs came!" The voice of a weak and sorrowful man
"My life was less than one loaf of bread."
"Drawn and quartered. So much pain, and you said nothing!"
"Burned in my bed, it was the wrong house."
"Beaten to death."
"Murdered because I would not bow."
"Take the teeth with gold fillings."
"Infanticide."
"'Genocide,' Nadir. But 'The edge cares not.'"

His flailing grows more desperate with time. He can not hide from them, they know everything - Everything - even those things which he had buried for himself. There is nothing that can hide from them, and they will not stop until his body is left rotting. Every time he smacks one down, another has found a gap in the armour - As soon as the bird is slapped or punched away, a second bird digs its beak into his flesh again. He fights just to survive, stumbling to where he can hear the others fighting back. He barely picks out Gwyndillin and Alric's voices, and he tries his best to make his way there. But the flapping black wings mix with the darkness, blinding him. They pull him, yell in his ears, and attack without end.

He does not manage to make it there. He is only pulled away, little by little. Again a bird finds a gap in the neck of his chainmail, and again they harass him:
"A deal, a deal!"
And then something changes. In an instant, as if a candle has been snuffed, his arms drop to his side - His body goes limp, his bow falls from open fingers, and his head snaps back towards that place distant in the forest. The dots intensify, he can feel a heat from them. A heat that seems ready to burn his eyes from their sockets.
"You made a deal with him. With he. His name, we know the name."
The beaks dig into the gaps, two biting until they draw blood. One pulls its head back, a strip of flesh pulling from Nadir's body. Still, he does not react. The heat slowly overcomes him, flooding his body. He slowly comes to understand - It is not warmth, it is feeling, an emotion. It is anger.
"Akephalos."
And again, in an instant, something changes. He screams - Blood-curdling, inhuman, the furthest extents of rage and desperation. The five birds enter into a frenzy, one flying to get away. Eyes wide and wild, throat raw, he grabs the crow by its feet and pulls it into his arms. "Akephalos! Akephalos! He is-" A series of sickening cracks abruptly kill the sound of its caws, the final sin smothered before it can finish. He drops the body, then grabs another from his neck - The beak drips with old blood, and Nadir grips its neck with both hands... and twists. He wrenches the head from the body, blood exploding over his hands. His screaming never stops, not even for breath. The pitch heightens, hands shaking
"It. Is. MINE!" He roars, in a voice that is not his own - Booming, deep, in an accent unlike any have heard. What follows is nothing short of pure butchery. He pulls another bird from him, flesh hanging from its mouth, and breaks its wing before dropping it to the forest floor. His foot stomps its head into gory oblivion, as he pulls an arrow and punches it into another - His fingers stab into the wound, and he rips the body open in one merciless pull. The final bird is gripped in his fist, and smashed into a nearby tree. Again and again, over and over, until white bone can be seen protruding through its feathers. His screams slowly subside, and he drops the mutilated body. Two of his fingers are bent too far back to still be in their joints - He merely grips them, and pulls them back into position.

And, as quickly as it came, he is calm again. Blood covers his hands, and his own is splattered on his shoulders - Yet the wounds must be shallow, for no further bleeding adds to it. Back to his senses, he looks around but for a moment. He picks up his bow from the ground, pulls an arrow to the string, and draws it back for another shot.
"I appreciate the help!" he yells out, releasing the arrow towards the murder. He moves quickly towards Gwyn and Alric, more intent on joining the others than attempting to demonstrate his bowmanship. That fact is quite apparent as his first shot misses, and the second, then the third. He stops to take more care in the fourth, managing to bring one to the ground.

[/div]
[/div]
[div class=biggie]
[div class=speakeasy]Shine through me.[/div][/div]

[/div]

BasiliskVeranda BasiliskVeranda Keidivh Keidivh Whisker Whisker mothspit mothspit Archie Archie KingHalliwell KingHalliwell

Last edited:

Valoria
Mood: Curious, mischievous
Interactions: RayPurchase RayPurchase
With: Ehina, Alexi, Addam, Arawn, Rickard
Mention: The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard Rusty of Shackleford Rusty of Shackleford idalie idalie King Sundew King Sundew

“Nothings that I’ve seen. Limpin’ fair bit in the muck, spewin’, makin’ a mess of me land. Awful things,” the old woman mumbled staring off to the land. Rickard placed a hand on her shoulder and a wide-eyed gaze found the old hag, who looking up at the younger man, then exposed a toothless smile. He grinned at her and the woman felt a curl rise between her toes. She cozied up to the strong hand, half wishing her Harold hadn’t found his death all those years ago.

“Well, heh,” the old woman wheezed out a low laugh, and began to pick at her nails. “Be’s kind of yous sir, for your gen-er-osity to our… farms,” she gave another hoot beneath her breath, and then catching the glare of the vicious, raven-haired child of the group, straightened up and smoothed her rags.

“Alls I can remember is how sick it looked. I ‘ave seens sick fowl in my time, the odd diseased crow or chick, but this fellas was somethin’ else. I seens more than one! All awful, sickly thin’s...nasty buggers, draggin’ they tails across the land. Shittin’ and vomitin’. Nasty birds,” she continued off to grumble.

Lori, pursing her lips and pressing her fingers to her face, gazed off into the forest. “I remember, from my mother’s bestiary-- oh, I wish I had a bloody copy of it-- but I’ve never read of them being diseased. The letter said they were flying but the old woman says they were… walking, I assume. And the land, it’s quite… diseased as well. I’d hate to be the fool to stumble on their den. Especially those other fools we share the bounty with…” Lori flickered her bright eyes to the others, a smirk diving across her chin.

They’ll be dead before sunset if they go in without this knowledge. I’m sure of it. These harpies are spitting pitch and god knows what it would do to a living person’s skin. If we intend to follow through with our agreement here, we ought to head out sooner rather than later.

Unless of course, we want to ask around a bit more?

codedbycrucialstar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back