Nocolour Sky (TheLadyKitsunerisu and AgentS7)

public class NocolorSky

{

public static void main(String[] args)

{

The real joke isn’t the name. The joke is that Felix Rail doesn’t even *like* cats. Har-dee-har-har, Mom. Another thing to thank you for. I’ll throw it next to poverty and a constant fear of alcoholism, huh?

Couldn’t say it wasn’t fitting, though. Felix “The Cat” wasn’t a bad nickname, all things considered, for a guy who could sneak in and out of your system without even jacking into cspace—he was old school like that, liked the code, the numbers, the text, the feeling of finding that one last obvious piece of the puzzle and rubbing it right in your gorram face. Not that he didn’t know how to use cspace or didn’t enjoy it, but that was all icing on the cake. You eat too much icing, you grow fat and lazy.

‘Course, the name Felix also meant “lucky,” or so he’d been told, and that must’ve been another cosmic joke waiting in the wings till the thing about the cat got old. Because Felix only felt lucky when he was about to endure a truly impressive shitstorm and come out barely alive (but still smelling like shit).

He hadn’t felt so lucky recently, which didn’t help either. It just meant that instead of being screwed by drugged up assassins, corporate samurai, or programs with just enough sentience to want his ass on a platter, he was just being screwed like normal people: financially.

But hey, hey, hey. Always darkest before dawn, right?

Felix takes a drag of his Cinna, blows out some golden smoke and lets his head spin deliciously for a moment. Brushes his hand throw his wild, dark red hair (nervous habit). His bright green eyes dilate for a minute (goooood Cinna here) before he’s able to focus again. Always darkest before dawn. Really? God, I need to stop thinking in clichés. Spiders his fingers out on the keyboard and nearly spills his coffee when his Digital Assistant pops up on the side of his screen.

It’s Mickey Mouse in a giant robot. Because he was really drunk while picking it, and doesn’t see the point in going through the effort to change the damn thing. “Gee, Felix! You have a meeting in Cspace to attend.”

“I don’t have any meetings.”

Mickey the Digital Copyright-Infringing Assistant folds his giant robotic arms with a whirring sound. “Well, gosh, it says here that ya do! It says ya got a meeting with a big corporate honcho at Nevalys. She’s waitin’ for ya and everything!”

“You’re f@#$ing with me, Mickey.”

“No, siree!”

Click. A window opened in the side of his screen. Dinah Hart, one of the board of directors at Nevalys, smirked. “You have a Mickey Mouse digital assistant. Really. If you had any cartoon characters, I thought they would be…”

“Felix the Cat, yeah, I’ve heard it before.”

Hart laughed politely. “We’ve got a job lined up for you, Felix.”

Really.”

“Jack into cspace and we’ll talk about it. I’m hanging around one of those irritating nightclubs you hacker types always frequent. Interesting how much more annoying they are in the digital world. Much louder, much brighter. But at least they aren’t full of drunk people who think they can dance. I’ll give you the coordinates.”

Felix felt his stomach suddenly lurch with hunger. Nothing in the cabinet but ramen and more packets of Cinna. “Please tell me this pays well.”

“Pays well? Mr. Rail, if you complete this job then you’ll never have to work again.”

“How much is never again?”

“Ten trillion dollars.”

Felix gaped for a moment, forgetting the cool hacker persona he’d tried his best to make. Ten trill. A hell of a lot of never again.

//transition

Hart switched off the video when enough negotiations were done. Sat down in her corner of the nightclub, away from the eight guys in long black leather trenchcoats who all thought they were equally hardcore. Dialed up her own boss.

“Helmer? Hart. Yes, he agreed. No worries, the protection we hired for him should arrive soon too. No, he agreed without knowing the job. Do you think he can do it? Yes. Yes, absolutely. Oh, I completely agree. If anyone can kidnap the world’s first human-like artificial intelligence, it’s Felix Rail.”

//transition

And far, far away, something clicked on in the nocolor sky of cyberspace. It grew a body. Legs. Arms. A face, stolen and amalgamated from eighteen and a half different magazines. And it whispered to itself: “Hello, World…”

}

}

A buzzer went off suddenly on the computer that a woman of pale complexion and long brown hair sat at.

Show time. She smirked to herself before grabbing a quick drink, a bag of chips, and scarfing them down before plugging herself into cspace, feeling herself being sort of...pulled from her body. It was always an odd experience for her. Soon she was within cspace, right outside the club that the coordinates had led her too. The building was two tiered, with a big bouncer on the outside of it. It was just an artificial intelligence, but it would still kick a person out for being too rowdy. She walked right up to it, flashed her badge at him, then continued on her way without saying a word to it. She had never been a fan of the artificial intelligence's, and she wished desperately that she wouldn't have to deal with them very much on this job. The last job that she had gone on had led her to a smorgasbord of AI's, all of them programmed for...well let's just say they had attractive voices, and they had interesting ways of saying certain things.

She shook her head of such thoughts and walked straight over to her employer, sitting across from her, which meant that her front was faced away from the door, and if anyone were to walk in they would just see a mass of dark brown hair with little red highlights within it. She had seen several heads turn at her arrival, and some were still staring at her. She let out a small sigh, not really interested in any man here. She closed her eyes, then with hawk-like precision she turned her head, her hair flying just the tiniest bit and glared at ever single man that was staring at her. She heard a squeak, and perhaps saw wet crotch or two before she turned away again.

"Hackers. They crumble under pressure so easily," she sneered slightly before smiling at the woman opposite of her.

"So, what is the job, how well does it pay, and who am I guarding?" She was a girl who wanted to get straight to the point at the best of times, and now was no different.

Felix knew this club well. It was called HASKEL by the guys who’d programmed it, and the Baby Pool by everyone else. Not all hackers were the same: there were those script kiddies who threw something together from someone else’s work and thought they were hardcore; there were the people who walked right onto the brink of becoming someone who mattered and backed away, too afraid to take the leap. There were the truly dangerous, who smiled at the drop and laughed all the way down. And then there were the posers.

Haskel was every hacker cliché wrapped into one package, but they were just that: clichés. Fakeness. Anyone who walked in and saw a bit of real danger always seemed to find an excuse to log out right afterward..

So of course Hart chose here to have her little meeting. Was she making some kind of point?

“You’re late, Felix,” she said, and took a sip of her martini. “The one you’re supposed to guard,” said Hart to the woman in front of him—a real street-tough looking lady—“is right here, right now.”

Felix raised an eyebrow. “What is this, a street samurai? What kind of job is this? I don’t think I’m in danger of getting shot at in cspace.”

The woman glanced to the side at the man that had just walked in. Her attire consisted of a dark leather duster, black combat boots, a tight, low cut shirt, and a necklace that looked almost akin to a dogs collar with a small charm hanging down right between her breasts. The charm obviously had some meaning. She was over all attractive, and looked like someone you really didn't want to mess with. Her hand lightly played with the hilt of her sword that was upon her hip as she returned her gaze to her employer.

"You aren't doing the job in cspace," she said, simply a curtly as she stayed seated, and silent for the most part.

Great. If they weren't doing the job in cspace, that meant a tagalong. Just what he needed.

"So we're looking at something dangerous, then," said Felix. "That's fine. Danger's my middle name..." He shook his head. "I had weird parents."

"You're hilarious," said Hart flatly. "Now if we're done intimidating each other and making bad jokes, perhaps we can get to the point?" She dragged a couple fingers through the air, and the room blurred slightly. A minor hack, but a corporate level one--no one could hear them now. And reading lips was impossible in cspace: there was simply too much to process.

"AIs," she said. "Artificial Intelligence. What do you know about it?"

"I've been 'round the block on that," said Felix. "Not really that intelligent, all things considered. They can look a good game, but there's not much going on--" he pointed at his temple "--in here." He chuckled. "Never even saw one question orders. All those years of movies leading me wrong..."

Hart nodded. "What about you," she said, turning to the guard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back