New to Roleplaying

Illusica

Hey,

I'm Illusica, nice you meet you all ^_^ As the title states I am new to the world of role play. It's something I have wanted to try for quite some time and finally decided to jump in! Is there any advice anyone would like to offer to a beginner such as myself?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh good. I like you already - you're proactive.

I am terrible at offering tips but alright at answering questions.

And I used to write for a now-defunct webcomic, when I was a more horrible person - perhaps you recognize both from there?

Grey said:
Oh good. I like you already - you're proactive.
I am terrible at offering tips but alright at answering questions.

And I used to write for a now-defunct webcomic, when I was a more horrible person - perhaps you recognize both from there?
Hm, no I don't think I have read your webcomic but it sounds interesting! Feel free to share ^^ I did indeed read a tutorial by you though https://www.rpnation.com/threads/creating-an-rp.77195/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope it was helpful. Free to ask if you need anything.

I don't really share the comic archives much - they were sexist in places that I look back on and cringe.

Grey said:
Hope it was helpful. Free to ask if you need anything.
I don't really share the comic archives much - they were sexist in places that I look back on and cringe.
Ah, I see and yes it was very helpful. Did you ever end up getting around to the part two that you mentioned at the end of that post?

-cough-

He also wrote a poooetryyyy guuuiiiddee.

//not self-advertising at all

Welcome to RPN, bud!

Hi there Illusica,

I'm not exactly new to role play but I am a novice in this site. The only advice I can give is that you be yourself. Everyone had their own creative drive. Find what you're comfortable with. The beginnings of exploration into role play is the best time. Why? Well, you get to experience everything with a new eye and no judgment. Have fun becoming acquainted with the versatile world of role play, I'm sure you'll be well versed in no time!

-Ravynne

Hello Ravynne and Elle ^_^ Thanks for commenting on my thread! I guess I'm just looking for general tips on how to RP well and how to keep it from dying mid story. It seems lie a very delicate balance that I don't entirely grasp yet.

Honestly, I think the real secret to keeping RPs going is just to find the right partner(s). People tend to be fickle when it comes to things they aren't as invested in. If you find players who are dedicated to their writing, you'll likely find the RP lasts longer :)

Elle has a point there. I've been to many sites, role played in many forums, and they usually die within a few months. The longest I've ever been in lasted a little over two years, but I've made great friends who I've continued to role play with even without a site to meet in. You simply have to find those loyal and just as dedicated as you are.

Besides, there's no way I'll let my role plays die so easily. Especially not if I created them. Only the site shutting down would stop me! xD My advice would be to find role plays you'll be interested in and befriend people who'll continue the role play no matter what. That's what I do. (:

Thanks again Elle and Ravynne! I'm really impressed that you have been involved in a RP that has lasted over two years!! At this point even a few months sounds super long to me. Were there group or 1 on 1RPs? I have also read elements such as time skips and planned endings help bring the to an end instead of them fizzling out mid RP. Are endings usually planned out as a group or is that just something that the creator comes up with.

Well, the role plays I'm usually involved in are all a group role play. However, I have joined a few where it was just another individual and myself. In which case we would both use more than one character to keep it interesting. I usually like to come up with different ending and ask the opinions of those in my role play. It's upsetting to be in a role play and have no say whatsoever in the plot, so I try my best to involve them in the story line and allow them to come up with ideas as well. Whenever I start a role play, I'm always sure to make notes of the many ending and plot twists that are available.

~With love, Ravynne V.C.

I think it's both, really - Some people also just RP on a whim ... fly by the seat of their pants sort of style. It varies, really. You just have to look around and see what works best for you. As a GM, I prefer to have a plan in mind, but it's flexible, to change when characters do- I also as for lots of input from my players, so that it's not just me, telling people what to do. I like collaborative efforts. Other people prefer to GM by spoon feeding plots to characters. Then there are RPs that have no plot and just kind... happen as they may.

I do utilize time skips though - they're quite handy for those moments that nothing really happens in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back