Literature Is the Wings of Fire series worth reading?

InTheSea

sʜᴇ/ᴛʜᴇʏ ♠ ᴀᴅᴠ ʟɪᴛ ɴᴏᴠᴇʟʟᴀ
Supporter
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
I have heard of this series a bit ago, but I never really looked into it. Recently though, I have become more interested. I am pretty picky about the content I read, and in all honesty I barely read at all because of it (I prefer to rp as it were). But I do love Fantasy (those of you who have RPed with me should know this lol) and dragons are one hell of a vibe.

I have read the Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl Series multiple times, devoured numerous books in the World of Warcraft Universe (some of them multiple times), the Hunger games series (and A Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes) as well as a few curated books from the Dragonriders of Pern series (a friend of mine wanted to get me into a related RP and listed the ‘must-read’ books for gaining knowledge of the series). I have also read a few books in the first run of the Warriors series back in like...~2008-2009? So that should give you an idea of my interests. I can read harder content, I just chose not to. I want to be happy, and I want something easy to read to relax. I have a habit of sticking to what I know when it comes to reading (unless it’s rp), so consider this a formal apology to you bookworms out there.

And for those of you who are curious, no, I have not read LOTR or the Hobbit. I struggled with the writing style. ;; Do love the movies/show though!

I’m really not a huge fan of first person POV though. I find it very difficult to read for some reason (and its uncomfy). I read most of the Divergent series until the last one because I couldn’t get past the dramatic FPPOV shift every chapter; Trice, Four, Trice, Four; I don;t even know if it lasted that long because I said nope when I got to the first chapter where it switched to Four.

So yeah, surely someone here has read the series and can give me some insight. I’m contemplating if I want to drop the 50$ on the first 10 books or not. And there is a high chance I am going eBook for them because it saves space (apologies again, bookworms).

I read a few of the books from the early series. I think maybe all of the original series? It was a few years ago as they were releasing, and I enjoyed it.

I think the reading level is comparable to Warriors, although I think Warriors might have had more action and a more serious tone. I did find the series somewhat predictable towards the end. It was very, very clear to me when they introduced the solution to the Prophecy.

They do switch the protagonist POV in each book of the first series (but not back and forth, just one book per character I think), so you may like some books more than others, but they're all third person. I also think that similar to Warriors, more and more magic starts to creep in to the story as time passes on, so it becomes a less grounded world as time goes on (but that’s mainly from what I've heard about after the first series.)

If you like Warriors though, then I would think WOF would be an enjoyable read. The world building was fairly interesting and the dragon's themselves are cool, although personally because each book takes place in a different area and there's a lot of travelling, to me it feels more like you get small glimpses rather than a thorough understanding of any one area (although each dragon Kingdom does have a different feel to it, which is nice.)

Honestly, if you're curious I would say it's worth trying. It's been years since I read them, and I'm probably being a bit to critical on the series. It's not bad. I did keep reading them after all XD

I think the books are pretty common at libraries. So another option could be to rent the first book, and if you like it then buy the digital series.

I read a few of the books from the early series. I think maybe all of the original series? It was a few years ago as they were releasing, and I enjoyed it.

I think the reading level is comparable to Warriors, although I think Warriors might have had more action and a more serious tone. I did find the series somewhat predictable towards the end. It was very, very clear to me when they introduced the solution to the Prophecy.

They do switch the protagonist POV in each book of the first series (but not back and forth, just one book per character I think), so you may like some books more than others, but they're all third person. I also think that similar to Warriors, more and more magic starts to creep in to the story as time passes on, so it becomes a less grounded world as time goes on (but that’s mainly from what I've heard about after the first series.)

If you like Warriors though, then I would think WOF would be an enjoyable read. The world building was fairly interesting and the dragon's themselves are cool, although personally because each book takes place in a different area and there's a lot of travelling, to me it feels more like you get small glimpses rather than a thorough understanding of any one area (although each dragon Kingdom does have a different feel to it, which is nice.)

Honestly, if you're curious I would say it's worth trying. It's been years since I read them, and I'm probably being a bit to critical on the series. It's not bad. I did keep reading them after all XD

I think the books are pretty common at libraries. So another option could be to rent the first book, and if you like it then buy the digital series.
Thank you so much for your input! I definitely don't mind character switches between books, and I don't even think I'd mind that per chapter if it was written in 3rd person so that seems perfect.

Also ashamed I forgot Library's existed, definitely going to look into that. That's such a brilliant idea and a perfect excuse to finally get a library card for it and an excuse to chill out and play Pokemon go at the same time haha

Thank you so much for your input! I definitely don't mind character switches between books, and I don't even think I'd mind that per chapter if it was written in 3rd person so that seems perfect.

Also ashamed I forgot Library's existed, definitely going to look into that. That's such a brilliant idea and a perfect excuse to finally get a library card for it and an excuse to chill out and play Pokemon go at the same time haha

I'm happy to have helped, and I hope that you enjoy the books!

I've read the entire series, and it's definitely worth a read. It's written in third person POV so there's no first person shenanigans. All of the characters are well thought out and solid- the switch between each one within the books in no way detracts from them- the other characters don't become different when we focus on another one for example.

The magic system is interesting and the history of the world is well told, I think. Piecing together the details scattered around the world is fun because they click together later on. I've been rereading them recently and I've found references to details that become important later in the first books that I was surprised by because I hadn't noticed them the first time around.

The first ten books are definitely worth buying, and I hope you enjoy them!

I've read the entire series, and it's definitely worth a read. It's written in third person POV so there's no first person shenanigans. All of the characters are well thought out and solid- the switch between each one within the books in no way detracts from them- the other characters don't become different when we focus on another one for example.

The magic system is interesting and the history of the world is well told, I think. Piecing together the details scattered around the world is fun because they click together later on. I've been rereading them recently and I've found references to details that become important later in the first books that I was surprised by because I hadn't noticed them the first time around.

The first ten books are definitely worth buying, and I hope you enjoy them!
Thank you so much for your input! I am definitely going to try them out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back