• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

I'll Tolerate You Because You're Paying Half The Bills((~Play and Remy~~Closed~))

Bryn looked at herself in the mirror of the diner bathroom. She'd just moved out of her parents' home for good, wanting to make a start in the real world. But that required money, and she was a teacher. Not exactly big bucks. But she didn't care about the money, she had a meeting with a guy about being his roommate. Alex Watkins. He had a loft nearby the school she worked at.

Her biggest hope was that he wasn't a slob. She was a neat freak, and hated all slobs with a passion. Why should she pay to constantly clean up after someone? If he was, that was it for her, she'd find someone else. From what he'd told her already, in their one phone call, the need was mutual, he couldn't afford it on his own.

She finished her coffee, walking out the door. She was stuck walking everywhere, as she couldn't afford a car and she definitely couldn't afford to constantly use a taxi. She wouldn't have to bum a ride off of Alex often, or for very long, as she was saving up and rather enjoyed walking. As she walked, she made sure she looked halfway decent. She wasn't trying to impress him, but she didn't want to look unseemly for a young woman.

Her self-confidence wasn't boosted by the fact that she had just been cheated on and dumped by her ex, Tyler Wilder, just a month beforehand. The love of her life, and he had left her for a blonde 18-year old, who he knocked up. She wanted to believe that she hadn't given him a second thought, but it was a lie. He had been her everything. The guy she lost her virginity to, the guy she imagined marrying. Everything.

She forced the thoughts from her mind, climbing the stairs to Alex's loft. She was a bit early, about thirty minutes. But hopefully he wouldn't be... Doing anything inappropriate. She wanted to keep a light, formal relationship between the two. She gave herself one last second to compose herself before knocking on the door. She hadn't seen him yet, nor the loft, and was more than a little curious as to what his response would be to the strange woman at his door...

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex Watkins could be described by people in many ways. Not all pleasant. He lived a relaxed lifestyle. He went to work (usually) when he had to and did whatever first came to mind any other time. Some said he was dangerous. Others crazy. He considered himself....unique. When his parents called him a special little snowflake growing up there wasn't anyway they could've known he would take it to heart. Most of his free time was devoted to looking cool and trying to find new things to discover. He was restless, he supposed. Maybe that was why he didn't belong in the business industry.

That morning he woke up to an alarm he didn't remember setting, only to sleep through it. Nothing important was going on, right? He could snooze for a couple more hours without any worry.

He was dead wrong.

A knock on the door caused him to jump up from his slumber. He banged his head slightly on the headboard of his bed, spilling out a few words of anger before looking around. Groggy, angry, AND confused he searched for a clock and nearly fell back into bed as realization hit him.

That applicant for the roommate thing! They must be here! That or someone really wanted to see me. He thought, before nearly laughing to himself. Nobody he'd want (friends, a soulmate, someone giving away a million dollars) would want to see him without contacting him first.

Ignoring the pain, he quickly went about getting dressed. He was shirtless and wearing pajama bottoms, so he had to find the most professional thing he could find in a hurry. It ended up being a plain white fitted shirt and dark jeans. He slipped on his leather jacket to finish up the look. He even managed to slide on a pair of newer shoes, too.

He brushed his teeth furiously, glancing to the door every few moments to make sure the person there hadn't just opened it and came in. After running a hand through his brown locks and rinsing his mouth out, he quickly made his way to the door (not before shutting the one to his room, of course). He kept things tidy enough, but he mostly closed the door because he didn't like people to see his personal space.

He walked over to the door and opened it, putting on a warm smirk.

"Hey, are you Bryn? The applicant?" He asked, leaning against the door frame and tilting his head. He was young and wild and curious, but he would put on a nice face for her if she'd pay half the expenses. At least, for now.

((Sorry it took so long and sorry if he's not 'bad boy-like' right now. I'm working on. This would be one of my first times taking on the role. Haha. xD ))

((It's fine! What I'd suggest, if you want the advice, is to really emphasize things like looking at her kinda seductively, staring at her body, things like that. Most bad boys are players as well... He also wouldn't care about how she viewed him, or what she thought.))

Bryn waited quite a while before the door opened, tapping her foot patiently. When it opened to reveal the handsome young man, she just smiled politely, not giving it too much thought. "Yes. Bryn Maeve." She confirmed, shaking his hand firmly and peeking subtly over his shoulder.

The loft wasn't the nearest she'd been in, but it wasn't terrible. She could handle it. But she'd want more than just a quick glance before she decided to move in. "May I?" She offered, taking a small step into the loft and looking around.

It was nice, not quite her style. Most residences of hers contained quite a few books, and much less... Well, testosterone. Not that she had a problem with it. "You posed some questions about my career over the phone. I recently got a job at the middle school nearby, as an English teacher. It's only June, so I will be home quite often, and will most likely take a summer job." She explained quietly.

Everything about her was very... Invisible. To her, she was quite average. But most people considered her very pretty. She didn't emphasize it. No makeup, hair just down, most of the time wearing business-casual clothes. Her voice was almost always quiet and polite. She was the height of an innocent young woman.

((Oh, thank you. I'm definitely trying something a little different. Most of my guys aren't quite like Alex will probably end up. Haha.))

A teacher. Interesting. He listened to her talk, letting her have the impression he wasn't being attentive. His eyes swept over her, taking her in. She seemed....simple. Not in a negative way, really....But he was sure she'd perfected some art of blending in. He tried to smile politely, but it came off more as amused.

"There's a few places down the street hiring. Mom and pop places. Part time spots and all. That is, if you consider staying here." And paying for the stuff I can't. He never directly said it (he wouldn't, not with his pride on the line), but he needed her. She'd been the only applicant thus far and rent would be due in the next couple of weeks.

The place wasn't bad. He wouldn't have chosen it under some circumstances (translation: if he'd had more money), although it was enough for him to live with. It opened up into a living area, which was connected to a kitchen that had a bar one could sit at. There was a small dining area, with a large window so you could look out onto the small stores below. It wasn't much. There wasn't a lot of extra space. Two bedrooms jutted out from the main area. The bathroom was shared (unfortunately), but it had a fair amount of space. The entire place was mostly clean. There was some messiness, but he wouldn't call himself a slob. No, not like the ones you see on movies.

"I can show you your potential room?" He suggested, walking casually to a room with the door shut. He turned the knob and opened it to reveal a room. It looked....untouched. In all honesty, he hadn't bothered with messing with it. Before the roommate ordeal, he'd thought of using it for space for all his various hobbies...Now he knew that he'd have to get rich to do any of that. "This is it."

He stepped inside so he wouldn't be blocking the doorway, allowing her room to come in. He put his hands in his pockets, eyeing the space absentmindedly. However, he slowly allowed his gaze to fall back on her, being subtle yet curious.

Bryn smiled politely, noticing his look and choosing to ignore it. She was probably misinterpreting it anyways, and she didn't want to cause trouble. She took the information willingly and gratefully.

"I'll check them out." She said eagerly, taking in the area. Rather nice, actually. Especially for her budget. She followed willingly as he showed her to her bedroom, and nodded slowly at the sight. She could work with that, definitely. Almost immediately, she felt his eyes on her again.

"Mr. Watkins. It's my job to educate young, hormonal teenage boys. I am not stupid, nor am I interested in starting anything with anyone. I'd be very interested in sharing ownership of this loft, but only if you can keep it professional and keep your eyes on mine, or not on me." She said, her voice growing a bit more firm than it usually did. Especially in recent times, she had no patience for flirting men.

"I do have a few questions, if the terms are agreeable to you. What is the current rent? Do you smoke? Do you drink? Do you bring women over often, or at all? And is there anything about you that I need to know?" She continued quickly, cheeks flaming as she realized what she had said. She had called out a man for staring at her. And she wondered why she was single.

"I... Apologize for my bluntness. In my previous words." She said after a beat, more embarrassed than she cared to admit.

Alex was surprised she'd called him out like that, especially seeing as they'd only just met. She was feisty, now wasn't she? Choosing to not be caught off guard by her words, he instead brought a grin to his face. This one, thankfully, came off as apologetic.

"Now, Miss Maeve." He began, mimicking her in some aspect. "I do apologize for being so rude with my eyes. If I thought you were pretty, I should have just given you a compliment like they used to. Compliments are so hard to find these days anyways. Please note, however, that I did not intend to cause offense. I wouldn't be trying to win your heart so suddenly. We've only just met, after all." He clicked his tongue and winked playfully.

He didn't miss a beat. He hadn't expected her to call him out, but he wouldn't let that deter him. He didn't handle people everyday without picking up a few pointers in the charisma department. He smiled and approached the doorway, thinking over her list of questions.

"Is this a pop quiz?" He inquired, spinning around on his hill to look at her curiously. He made sure he looked directly at her eyes, as if taking note of her words. He would play along for now.

"Rent is 700 a month. I did, but I haven't in a little while and it's not allowed in the building. Not my style, so no. I don't bring over girls a lot. When I spend time with them, it's usually out in public." He paused, having answered all her questions in the order she asked them. "I'm allergic to peanuts, for one."

((I'm debating whether or not I should say he's seeing someone. Haha. And making the peanut allergy a joke. ))

((That's a good idea, or just have him be lying to her about all of his answers. He almost looks like a halfway decent person with her questions xD ))

Bryn rolled her eyes, unable to help herself. Maybe this wasn't a good idea. If the man couldn't be serious for even a few minutes, if he was that immature, did she really want to live within a mile of him, better yet in his loft?

After a moment of staring, Bryn walked back into the kitchen and pulled out a checkbook, writing furiously for a few moments. Her handwriting was incredibly neat, almost as if a computer wrote it. But after a few moments, she turned and handed the check to Alex.

"A check for my half of this month's rent?" She said calmly. "350$. I can be moved in by the end of the week, but I have some furniture to sell. I'm assuming you don't want to have to deal with the trouble of trying to fit it among your own, so I will have them sold or gone as soon as I can." She said quietly, voice reverting to its usual quiet tone.

"I can cook meals, depending on when you're awake. I tend to wake up early, but I'm very quiet in the mornings, I go for my run until nine anyways. Do you happen to have a spare key at the moment?" There was a pit in her stomach as she spoke, but she kept her face blank of emotion and her tone neutral.

Alex grinned, taking the check with an eagerly. It could've been taken as greedy, but to him it felt more like relief. He was twenty four years old and still new to the world. He had a stable lifestyle, but everything just seemed to get expensive as the days went by. Paying for everything was becoming a hazard. With little left at the end of each month, he'd begun to worry excessively about what would happen if a rainy day ever came along. How would manage with spare change and whatever money he'd somehow managed not to spend? Nothing.

He needed her, honestly. Not that he'd admit to that, of course.

"Do you need help?" He asked, putting the check away safely. "Moving? Selling? Whatever else you might need a hand with?" His tone was neutral. He wasn't always the one that raised his hand to volunteer himself to assist, but he figured he should with this. To be honest, he wasn't sure she'd even accept his offer. She seemed like the type to have things a certain way. In his mind she had a particular order for how she would move. Not that he knew all that well to be sure, but he supposed that didn't matter.

He walked over to the door and pulled a key off a key rack, walking back towards her and holding out a key. "Here you go." He said, thinking for a moment. "How early is early to you, exactly?" He asked, all jokes aside. He couldn't say he was a morning person, really....His sleep schedule was kinda sporadic. Work had him running strange hours. He tended to do whatever he wanted to when he was free. That included going to bed and waking up whenever he felt like. He couldn't tell her with a straight face that he'd wake up at six o'clock sharp every morning because it wasn't going to happen.

"You don't have to worry too much about causing noise in the mornings. I'm usually not bothered too much....This'll be your home as much as mine, y'know?" He tried to be friendly about it. He didn't figure the arrangement would last very long, just until one of them saved up enough money to go live alone stably...but he didn't mention that. No, that was stormy waters and he wasn't going to lose a roommate he'd just got. "Anything else you need?"

((That would be interesting...

Oh, I'm sorry!))

Bryn listened to him neutrally, seeing the slight desperation in him. Men and their pride, it was just foolish.

"Early is six in the morning for me. I wake up, make breakfast, then go for a long run. I can leave some breakfast in the oven for you, it will stay warm for quite a while." She offered. One thing she'd grown good at was cooking. Tyler had always jokingly said that the reason their relationship worked was because she made good food. Well... She'd thought he was joking. Now, she wasn't so sure. She sighed quietly at the memory. She had to stop thinking about him.

"No, I don't think I'll need help. I have a few friends who've already offered, we should be able to handle it." She lied immediately. She didn't want to lie to the man she just met, but she had a system, and she doubted he'd be much help. She just took the key, slipping it into her pocket.

"No, I should be fine. I actually have a meeting to get to..." She admitted, mouth twisting slightly into a grimace. Meeting was a strong word. She was going to Tyler's house, to get the last remains of her stuff, and to finalize the breakup. She'd been putting it off for two weeks, but it was just time.

"That would be great. Work is crazy, so it doesn't always allow me to wake up at six." Not to say he couldn't wake up at six, but it would guarantee he wouldn't be a tolerable person to be around. "If it helps, I can cook some things....So if you need dinner made or something, I'll try." He was really being modest. One of his favorite things to do was eat, so learning the ropes of cooking was kind of a necessity if he didn't want to have to eat out all the time. He couldn't afford to do that anyways.

He nodded slowly at her words, narrowing his eyes ever so slightly in suspicion before allowing a smile to grace his lips. He speculated she wasn't being completely truthful, but he wouldn't call her out about it. Not yet, at least. "Ah, okay. Well, if you do need help, you can give me a call. I'm usually available." His phone usually stayed on silent, but he'd try to keep an eye on it the next couple of days in order to get her moved in. He grabbed a small notepad from the counter and a pen, scribbling down his phone number and name. The handwriting wasn't as neat as hers, although the cursive style of writing was still very much legible. He held the piece of paper out to her once he tore it from the notepad. "Here. And please, be assured, I'm not flirting with you."

He glanced to the door, nodding slowly. He wanted to ask what sort of meeting she'd be attending, but he decided against it. "Alright. I'll walk you to the door then. See you....later?" She said she'd be back by the end of the week, but he wasn't exactly sure when that was and all. He'd just have to keep his eye out, he supposed.

"I'll keep you in mind." She said, smiling lightly. When he offered her number, she hesitated slightly, but took it, adding it to her phone immediately. She was not good at keeping up with loose papers. "Good. While I appreciate any attention, we are, as of now, roommates. And I'd like to keep any kind of relationships between us professional." She said firmly, putting her phone in her pocket. She walked beside him to the door, nodding. "I appreciate your manners. I'll most likely be coming and going throughout the next few days, but I'll stay quiet." She confirmed, walking out and closing the door behind her. In an instant, she was jogging, cursing herself for not having a car.

It took her five minutes to get to the cafe where Tyler was waiting for her. He was carrying two large boxes, on the table beside him. He stood up when she walked in, a small smile on his very handsome face. She couldn't resist. "Tyler." She said quietly, voice breaking slightly. He flinched, but said nothing.

"Bryn. It's... Good to see you." He admitted, hugging her. Immediately, she pulled away from him, holding her hands up.

"Don't. I can't... I can't. Where's your girlfriend?" She asked bitterly.

"We didn't last. She wasn't you." Tyler shrugged. Bryn scoffed, picking up the boxes. "Come on, at least let me drive you home." He sighed. "Where are you staying?"

"I can walk. I'm nearby." She said immediately, walking out of the cafe and back towards Alex's apartment. It was far more exhausting carrying the boxes, mostly full of clothes. But it was a thousand times better than accepting a ride from Tyler.

Alex had shut the door behind her and immediately leaned against the door, exhaling a heavy sigh as though some strange burden had been lifted off his chest. He felt very restrained with the upcoming circumstances. He figured she'd be particular about how she liked/wanted things, which could end very badly for the both of them. He wasn't known much for being a pushover, which definitely hadn't helped him in school so it likely wouldn't help him now. Not that he had much of a choice in the matter. He would try to tread lightly for a short while, be a little cautious, just to ensure all was well between them for a short time. Then he'd slip up, he'd make mistakes, he'd be himself. And by then hopefully he was stable enough that if she decided to leave he'd be fine without her.

Although, he wasn't much for following up with these kinda promises to himself. He hoped desperately that he could try harder on this one, for the sake of staying in this place. It was one of the nicest places he'd found for a cheaper rate, at least, in this city.

He finally pushed himself up off the wall and grabbed a small bag of cookies from the pantry. Before he actually got ready for the day's adventures, he'd stand by the window and nibble on the bite sized chocolate chip snacks. He walked over to the window in the living room area, pushing back the curtains some to peer out below. People hustled and bustled along in their daily routines. A lady with a kid talked on the phone, an older gentleman carried a cup of coffee as he strolled, a young couple holding hands laughed together as some joke they'd probably said a thousand times. He didn't know why he did it, but it seemed to pass the time for him.

Being dangerously unpredictable and impulsive had always been like a trademark to him....He enjoyed not knowing what he was going to do when he woke up in the morning (or the afternoon, depending on the day). He enjoyed going out and laughing with strangers he didn't know. And he felt like that girl, Bryn, didn't. She probably lived an organized, simple life. Something ordinary and plain. He couldn't say it was wrong, but it also didn't seem right. Being polite and proper and sophisticated all the time. Not that he knew if she was or not...He would soon. And if she was, they'd clash. Hard. Which was only bad if it ended in her leaving, for good.

Finishing up his small bag of treats, he threw away the trash and plopped down on the couch to stare up at the ceiling. He pulled out his phone and scrambled through some contacts, wondering if anyone would be open to coming over or going out.

Halfway back to Alex's apartment, Bryn tripped, sending the boxes tumbling. Most people just laughed, moving to avoid the mess. A couple knelt down beside her, helping her pick up the contents. She smiled gratefully, shoveling the clothes and small objects unceremoniously in the boxes.

"Thank you." She said gratefully to the people who helped before adjusting her grip and continuing. A few minutes later, she was at Alex's apartment. She carefully balanced the boxes on one knee as she unlocked it and opened the door. She walked in, carefully closing the door behind her, and stumbled toward her 'bedroom'. She dropped the boxes and sat down heavily, chest heaving slightly.

"I regret... Not taking Tyler's... Offer." She panted to herself. As awkward, uncomfortable, and terrible as that would've been... Probably would've been easier than walking. By a lot.

She'd seen Alex on the couch, but hadn't said a word to him, rather rude for her. But she'd also been busy. As she walked out, she didn't make the same error. "Sorry for the intrusion. Won't happen again today." She assured him, walking out of the apartment. As she walked, something that rarely happened... Happened. She got a text from a friend.

We're getting drinks tonight. Picking you up at seven. Wear something slutty.

Alex heard her come in, causing him to pull himself up some from the couch to peek at what was going on. Upon noting that she'd disappeared into her new room, he plopped back down against the plush cushions. He took note of her apology, waving a dismissive hand at her. "Don't worry about it. Have a nice night." He'd called, not entirely sure she'd heard him. He sat there a couple more moments before pulling back out his phone, eager that he'd received a confirmation message from a couple people that they would indeed join him that evening. They would be hitting up their favorite hangout spot, a nostalgic location they'd frequented for the past couple of years.

"Well...I know what this means." Alex grinned, slowly gaining the motivation to get up. He brought himself to a stand before casually strolling to his room. He immediately jumped into the shower, washing and rinsing and just lavishing in the hot water. Sure, he was awake....but the warm water surely washed away all the other grogginess still trying to bog him down. Once out, he proceeded to go about getting dressed. It wasn't much of a thought out process. He grabbed whatever looked good in his closet. It didn't need to be fancy or anything. Despite his adventurous spirit, he didn't like to change things up when it came to clothes. He liked what was comfortable for him and anything else just wouldn't work. He grabbed a pair of distressed jeans, a three button shirt (with the top two buttons undone, of course) and his signature jacket. He ran a comb through his hair in the mirror of the bathroom out of habit. Once done, he paced around while throwing his keys up and catching them, all to busy himself as he waited for his friend's to contact him. They'd be leaving early, of course. Not to get there on time, but rather because it always took so long for all of them to get together. Besides, some of them would need a ride. He was sure of that.

He yawned a bit and stretched an arm over his head before looking down at his phone. Just then, a message popped up.

You comin' bro? We got places to be and people to see!

It was from a guy named Cody. And Alex knew it was code for, "Come pick me up!"

He quickly typed up a response, already heading for the door.

Try not to hurt yourself while you wait for me.

Then he was out the door.

Bryn made it back to her parents' apartment rather quickly. She almost called out for them by habit before stopping. Right. Of course. Nobody would answer. She sighed, dropping her purse on the corner table and looking around. Most of the stuff was boxed up, a couple things still out. She was selling most of the furniture, not wanting to be reminded of her parents every time she sat on the couch.

Coming by early. Be ready in twenty.

Bryn sighed at the text, walking into her bedroom and looking through her closet. Something slutty, they'd ordered. She did have one of her older sister's old dresses. It hardly covered half of her thighs, had no back, and the neckline was plunging. Maybe it'd be fun, she'd get a drink... Jane would try to get her to bring a guy home. Probably not going to happen.

In just a few minutes, she was in the right red dress, inspecting herself in the mirror. She looked... Hot. Really hot. She slipped on a pair of black heels, doing her hair rapidly. One light smattering of makeup later, she looked quite good. Jane, as usual, let herself in without knocking, stopping short when she saw her friend.

"You sure you aren't teaching sex ed at that school?" Was her greeting. Bryn frowned, shaking her head. "Huh. Some guys might educate themselves in the back, just saying. Come on, let's go. Fun bar nearby, you can get laid. It'll be great!" She squealed, pulling Bryn out to her car.

One short drive later, Bryn was standing at the bar, drinking a margarita. Well... Holding it and watching Jane grind on the closest hot guy. She was much more brazen, and much more... Sexy than Bryn could ever be. She preferred the quiet approach. A few guys came up to her, but quickly got bored of her shy nature. Not that she complained. She was having a lot of fun watching Jane.

After just a few minutes, Jane ditched her to go home with that guy, and Bryn was left alone. She sighed, not looking forward to the walk home. "Great." She muttered.

(Possibly the same bar? Up to you.)

Alex had quickly drove to Cody's house in the car he'd gotten as a graduation present from high school years ago. It was a nice ride, kept up by him because of his great admiration for it. He knew if he didn't take care of it, then he would have to walk. He was much too lazy for all of that. Cody walked up to the car and got in with any grand entrance. Once the door was shut Alex began to drive away while Cody put on his seat belt.

"Dude, you ready? We haven't been out in ages!" Cody stated, coolly. If Alex didn't know any better, he would say that all was well....but he could tell that the words disappointed Cody. They'd been bros since high school. Although they'd definitely went different paths in their lives...Cody had worked to become a lawyer, while Alex had....definitely been a slacker. He'd went to college, but the degree was pretty useless sitting on the wall while he had nothing to show for it. Cody, however, managed to be a good addition to Alex's friend list. The two clashed a lot on things. Cody was simpler, less dangerously reckless....but he was also a fun lover. He enjoyed the moments when they could do something together and could bring out the better aspects of their personalities. Cody let go a lot around Alex and Alex held on better around Cody. If Alex had to say he had a best friend, it would be Cody. It probably always would be.

"That's because you're always busy." Alex chimed in, grinning. Cody rolled his eyes some and lightly punched him in the arm. Though it didn't hurt, Alex swerved slightly just to scare him. It, indeed, worked. He then gained a very dramatized, hurt tone. "Too busy for me. It just breaks my heart." He wiped at an imaginary tear.

"You probably deserve it with all the hearts you break." Was the retort, which only made Alex wrinkle his nose at the other.

"Says the one that can't find a girl."

"But I will tonight!"

"Sure, sure." Alex hummed, pulling up to the location and slipping out of the car. Locking it, he walked inside with Cody. "Go get us something to drink." He said, smiling. "There's a cute girl at the bar that might talk to you. I can see wedding bells now." Cody was the hopeless romantic type that dreamed of marriage. Cody scowled slightly, but eventually gave a small laugh as he walked over.

Alex scanned the crowd, seeing people dancing and talking and drinking. Among it, he swore he saw someone oddly familiar. It wasn't unnatural, because he knew quite a few folks...but it was someone he felt didn't quite fit into the whole scene. He took a couple steps in their direction, just to get a better look.

((Sure! That's fine by me!))

Bryn looked up as a cute guy approached, and smiled awkwardly. She looked around by habit, and froze when she saw Alex. "Oh, God. No. Crap." She looked for Jane desperately, but the woman was long gone.

In an instant, Bryn was dashing to the bathroom, her face bright red. She yanked out her phone and dialed Jane's number frantically. She almost sobbed with relief when her friend answered.

"Two minutes." Jane said bluntly.

"My new roommate is here. You've gotta pick me up, he can't see me like this!" She hissed back.

"Why not? He'll probably give you a discount on the rent." Jane scoffed. Bryn groaned.

"I'm serious. Jane--" Bryn stopped when she heard the click. Jane had hung up on her. "Mother...." She snarled, not finishing the expletive. She walked back out, keeping a careful eye on Alex. Well, it'd give her the chance to see how he acted normally. And if he recognized her like this, he deserved a reward...

She returned to her seat beside the cute guy, ordering a new drink. She had left hers behind when she raced off, and she wasn't stupid enough to drink from it after that. When her new one arrived, she took a small sip, heart still racing slightly.

Alex stopped dead in his tracks when the figure he was attempting to get a better look at suddenly just vanished from their spot. A part of him was curious, but the figure disappeared into the crowd, likely running to a restroom or a quiet spot to hide. Whoever it was either didn't want to see him or just needed to get away from whatever was going on. He shrugged. He could definitely think of some people that wouldn't want to see him in this places. Exes were at the top of the list. He only got along well with one of his past girlfriends. The others either hated him or dealt with him neutrally to avoid conflict.

He suspected that he'd spot them later if they hadn't fled the building, so he wasn't too concerned. Cody appeared with two drinks in his hand, grinning some. He handed one of them to Alex. "What is it?" He asked, tilting his head. Cody gave him a look. When asked to buy drinks, he never told him what it was he ordered. It was like a game. And always something new. And usually something Alex didn't like. He took a sip of it, scrunching his nose slightly at it but taking another drink anyways. It was fruity in flavor, definitely not something he'd usually go for....but he went ahead and sipped on it anyways. He'd get something else in a bit.

"Why aren't you dancing?" Alex asked, glancing at Cody. He had his eyes fixated on a girl standing at the bar. The lighting was dimming in the room, so he couldn't make her out too clearly, but that didn't really matter much. "Or talking to that girl over there." Without any pause to allow Cody a response Alex pushed him forward. Cody turned to look at him, sending a confused glare before Alex moved to push him again.

"Go talk to her." He said, while Cody stuck up his hands to ward away the push and nodded meekly. He walked off towards the girl, muttering something along the lines of, "I'll try." He was definitely more reclusive than Alex.

It didn't take long, but Alex managed to get rid of most of the drink and had grabbed a girl to come sit with him. She was good company for a moment, laughing at things he said that weren't funny (and he knew it), leaning against him and trying to speak with him flirtatiously, but he got bored rather quickly. She was nice, but she was also quite gone from the present. At least, some part of her was. The drink in her hand proved it to him. He grinned lightly and took her hand. "Why don't you come visit with me later? The dance floor looks lonely without you." He said, nonchalantly. She pulled back, looking amused and confused. Finally, she nodded. "Don't forget about me." She mumbled, standing and clumsily finding her way back to the dance floor.

He sighed and leaned back, going to take a sip from his drink only to find it was all gone. The night had been pretty uneventful. Cody seemed to be doing well with his girl, but nothing seemed to catch Alex's interest. Finally, he stood and walked to the bar to order something else. He glanced around, trying to catch sight of the figure from earlier. He thought he saw something, but his drink was placed in front of him before he reacted to it. He picked it up, taking a sip as he glanced around from the corner of his eye. He nearly did a spit take.

It took Bryn all of two seconds of watching Alex to be bored. It was what she expected. He was flirting, drinking, and being exactly what she'd feared. And she couldn't exactly get out of it, because she'd already helped pay for his rent. It was almost enough to make her want to curse.

As she sipped her margarita, another couple guys approached her. Drinking was not something she partook in, almost ever. The one margarita was enough to loosen her tongue a little. She talked to them, but lost interest quickly. One was unemployed, one was a fast food employee, and one was boring enough to have her falling asleep.

It wasn't until she turned that she knew how deep of trouble she was in. She was much closer to Alex than she'd thought, and he seemed to be looking straight at her. She flushed the darkest red, gesturing for another drink. She'd need it. When she received it and paid, she approached her roommate, almost tripping in her heels.

Wow, he was... Really attractive. She'd just noticed, too stuck in her ways before to see the little things. The stubble on his jaw, the muscles that filled out his shirt. Tyler had always had the mannish look about him, but not the way Alex did. He was... Every bit a man, not a boy. And dang, she was liking it.

Wait, no. He was her roommate. Bad. She stopped in front of him, red down to her neck. She had no idea how to explain why she was there. She shouldn't have to explain. She hadn't married the guy, she could do whatever she wanted.

"Hey!" She called over the music, acting nonchalant. Yea, she met her roommates in crappy bars all the time. She loved drinking. Even thinking hose words hurt her head.

Alex seemed vaguely surprised that she'd approached him, especially since her face mimicked the shade of a tomato. He didn't know if that was the drink in her hand or him, but he smiled nonetheless. It was a toothy smile, innocent and sweet, but it definitely contrasted the look in his eyes. Mischief and mayhem glowed in them, despite the poor lighting. She either didn't know what she was doing or she was really brave.

"What? I can't hear you!" He said, though he obviously could. He took a step forward and leaned down, closing some of the distance just to test to see if he could.

"Long time no see." He finally joked, taking a sip of his beverage before leaning against the bar counter, eyeing her curiously. By what he'd seen today she definitely didn't seem like the type to go venture out into a place like this dressed like that drinking anything that wasn't water or soda. "What brings you here? Seems like this is the perfect place for our professional relationship to really take off." He was being sarcastic, of course, but he decided to play it off in a teasing way.

She looked different. Less formal and modest, less brought up and polite. She looked enchanting, to say the least. Although, if he was taking into account their meeting earlier, she didn't look like herself. Regardless..she was dazzling. The red in the dress contrasted nicely with the rest of the duller, muted colors of everyone else. Her hair looked redone into a new style and she appeared to be wearing some makeup, but he was sure she'd still have shined without it.

"Did you want to take a seat? Dance? Talk? Or did you come all this way just to see little old me?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back