Advice/Help Help with starting an rp and finding partners

koishifan

Lurker
Hi, im sort of new to this whole rp thing but I've been trying to find partners and discuss ideas with them but I have no idea how to start an rp. Usually i respond to other threads of people looking to rp and I'd discuss characters and settings about the rp and all is fine until I ask if they could start since im not experienced at starting stories. After that I never hear anything from them even after asking if they're there. Am I doing something wrong? Is there any advice for starting an rp.

It's a mixed bag regarding if a RP gets off the ground. I can't say exactly why they won't start the RP thread with you, but these are the most common reasons why RPs don't start:
  1. The other person had life issues get in the way.
  2. They felt the two of you weren't a good fit.
  3. They just didn't want to take the initiative to start the RP.
This will happen from time to time, so don't take it personally. You will eventually find someone willing to start a RP.
As for advice how to do so, it's simply these steps.
  • Reply to interest checks or make your own (threads for people looking for RPs)
  • If someone agrees to RP with you, ask them where they would like to RP (in DMs or threads)
  • Discuss making an OOC thread (A place where you will plot and chat about anything)
  • Discuss starting a character sheet page (simply a thread to make a profile of your characters)
  • Discuss starting the IC thread (A place where you will actually RP)

If the RP partner you have is fairly experienced, they should be able to walk you through the above steps. If you're having further issues, I'm open to explaining and helping further.
Have a great time RPing and hope you find the best RP partners!

One other thing I should add is to be patient. Just like I stated with point #1, life could be keeping them from posting but that doesn't mean they forgot.
I'd say for those you already showed interest in, give it about a week or so. If they don't respond by then, you can poke with a message to ask if they're doing alright.
But, if nothing after that, you just have to cut your losses and move on.

Unfortunately that’s just the nature of this hobby I’m afraid. Wish I had a better answer but that’s all I’ve got. But my point is it’s totally natural that this is happening, as unfortunate as it is. So no, you’re not doing anything specifically wrong it seems. Really I find getting stuff off the ground requires a lot of luck. It sucks but ghosting is common. No way around it.

My advice to you although maybe not helpful is just to keep your head up. Keep trying and trying and eventually, you’re gonna find the right partner for you and one that wants to follow through and actually create and write a great story with you! (:

I do wish you the best of luck!

Unfortunately that’s just the nature of this hobby I’m afraid. Wish I had a better answer but that’s all I’ve got. But my point is it’s totally natural that this is happening, as unfortunate as it is. So no, you’re not doing anything specifically wrong it seems. Really I find getting stuff off the ground requires a lot of luck. It sucks but ghosting is common. No way around it.

My advice to you although maybe not helpful is just to keep your head up. Keep trying and trying and eventually, you’re gonna find the right partner for you and one that wants to follow through and actually create and write a great story with you! (:

I do wish you the best of luck!
To add, when I say keep trying I mean in regards to a search for a new partner. I definitely don’t want that to be taken the wrong way. I am not encouraging you and am highly advising against persistently messaging someone who has clearly ghosted you.

Just thought I’d clarify. :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back