Help on digital map-making

Arthur

One Thousand Club
Some members of the forum, like Wordman and Megapope, have done excellent works drawing maps for places in Creation. I am a jobless vagabond, so I have a lot of free time, and it just happens that I'll use Denandsor in a game I'm running. That said, I'd like to draw a map of the city. It doesn't have to be too fancy. I was thinking in something along the lines of Wordman's Rathess and Chiaroscuro maps. The problem is: I have little experience in graphic design, and I don't know even where I could start. Could you people recommend me something? A good software (for Mac, please. I already have Photoshop installed, in any case) and maybe some guidelines would help me greatly.

By the way, is there any Denandsor map out there I could use as a base?

Edit: on a side note: exactly where can I find information about Denandsor, besides the Core Book and CoTD:SL?

Edit #2: I've just found something more geographical about Denandsor in Dreams of the First age. Well, besides that, is there anything, even if not official?

There was a time that I thought I knew what I was doing when making maps. Then I started reading the forums at the Cartographers Guild and was cured of that delusion. Spend a while there. You'll get better.

I am self-taught and do all my work in Photoshop. Just play a lot with layers and such, and hang out in the cartographer's guild if you want to learn how others do. ( my point with this shameless bump is this: You only need photoshop to succeed )

Bump for my old map that isn't very updated, but is still awesome and was fun to draw:

http://www.zaramis.net/Creation3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back