Hello!

A. Nonymous1

Proud to be crazy. :)
Greetings, everyone! A. Nonymous at your service.

To give you a little information about myself, I am a girl of a surprisingly young age, a student by trade and a hobbyist author in my free time. I live in the United States with my wonderful family of four (and unfortunately no pets), and I'm honestly a complete nerdball - just ask my friends! When I have a few spare moments, I love to read, write and draw; spend time with my family and friends; travel; and take pictures. Want to know more about me? Just ask!

Seeing that this is a role-play forum, I'll get right to the point. Although I'm new to this site (I stumbled across it one day when I was browsing the internet) I've been a role-player for many years, and I'm very excited to (hopefully) participate in one that piques my interest. While I don't have a favorite genre to role-play in, I have a soft spot for fantasy- and science fiction (sci-fi)-themed ones.

Anyway, I hope I gave you guys a little tidbit about myself. Have a wonderful day!

- A. Nonymous -

Hi, A. Nonymous, and welcome to RPdom, the roleplaying site that leaves others in the dust!

Sounds like you have a really busy life right there, so I hope you can possibly find a couple of minutes to play some of the great games on our site. :)

The best and easiest place to look for our games is in the 'Our Roleplays' forum. In there, you'll find threads which give a concise description of the various games, along with discussions about character creation, house rules (if any) and more. There's also a handy prefix system to show the recruitment status of a game; 'Recruiting' and 'Joinable' games are those that you can pretty much submit a character sheet and be introduced into the game almost immediately after the character gets approved by the ST. 'Waitlist' games are those who are accepting new character submissions, but there may be a delay between character approval and actually starting the game, usually due to story arc constraints. As you can imagine 'Closed' games are those that are not actively recruiting new players, but still keep an eye on them, there are times when a player has to bow out allowing new players the chance to join.

Another place to look is the 'Interest Checks' and 'Roleplay Submissions' forums. These forums are literally where games are born and rise to greatness or vanish, half-formed, into the ether. The former is a place where STs can pitch a game idea to the community, to see who might have an interest in playing before they go through the long process of refining the setting and rules, creating storylines and NPCs and so on. The latter is where the ST, having created the basis of their game, formally submits it to the site Admins to request forums to play their games in (RPdom is pretty much unique in that we offer a full forum, with possible sub-forums, for games. Not just single threads!). At both of these stages, players are vital to the process since it will be their posting in an Interest Check that will bring a game to the submission forum and it will be their offering to join a game that will allow an ST to get approval. Truly a fully-interactive process!

Joining a game couldn't be easier, all you need do is post in the 'Our Roleplays' thread of the game, in the game forum's Out-of-Character (OOC) thread or by contacting the ST directly using the private Conversation system. The last option will be locked to you until you've made ten or more posts on the site.

Since I saw you mention an interest in Sci-Fi, might I take a moment to draw your attention to 'Avvros'?

So, finally, if you have any questions, feel free to post them in this thread or, if you have a question or issue about the site itself or a question you'd prefer to keep private, feel free to use the confidential 'Admin Contact' forum and one of the cheerful Admin staff will gladly help.

Enjoy our site!

Captain Hesperus

Our Roleplays[/URL]' forum. In there, you'll find threads which give a concise description of the various games, along with discussions about character creation, house rules (if any) and more. There's also a handy prefix system to show the recruitment status of a game; 'Recruiting' and 'Joinable' games are those that you can pretty much submit a character sheet and be introduced into the game almost immediately after the character gets approved by the ST. 'Waitlist' games are those who are accepting new character submissions, but there may be a delay between character approval and actually starting the game, usually due to story arc constraints. As you can imagine 'Closed' games are those that are not actively recruiting new players, but still keep an eye on them, there are times when a player has to bow out allowing new players the chance to join.

Another place to look is the 'Interest Checks' and 'Roleplay Submissions' forums. These forums are literally where games are born and rise to greatness or vanish, half-formed, into the ether. The former is a place where STs can pitch a game idea to the community, to see who might have an interest in playing before they go through the long process of refining the setting and rules, creating storylines and NPCs and so on. The latter is where the ST, having created the basis of their game, formally submits it to the site Admins to request forums to play their games in (RPdom is pretty much unique in that we offer a full forum, with possible sub-forums, for games. Not just single threads!). At both of these stages, players are vital to the process since it will be their posting in an Interest Check that will bring a game to the submission forum and it will be their offering to join a game that will allow an ST to get approval. Truly a fully-interactive process!

Joining a game couldn't be easier, all you need do is post in the 'Our Roleplays' thread of the game, in the game forum's Out-of-Character (OOC) thread or by contacting the ST directly using the private Conversation system. The last option will be locked to you until you've made ten or more posts on the site.

Since I saw you mention an interest in Sci-Fi, might I take a moment to draw your attention to 'Avvros'?

So, finally, if you have any questions, feel free to post them in this thread or, if you have a question or issue about the site itself or a question you'd prefer to keep private, feel free to use the confidential 'Admin Contact' forum and one of the cheerful Admin staff will gladly help.

Enjoy our site!

Captain Hesperus
Thank you so much for your warm welcome! :)

Your feedback was very helpful, and I'll definitely keep those in mind. However, I do have a few questions that I was hoping that you might be able to answer (or anyone else, for that matter):

1. What is the purpose of the "dice"? I've seen it while browsing through the the site, but I'm still a bit puzzled as to what it does.

2. Is the only difference between a thread role play and a regular role play that a thread role play occurs in only one thread?

Thank you again!

- A. Nonymous -

Okay, lemme take this in numerical order.

1: The dice is our on-site dice roller (I call her Gladys, but the other Admins insist she's call Grace). Some of the games played on the site use established game systems, such as Dungeons and Dragons, the White Wolf system and others, which require dice rolls to add a random factor to actions undertaken by players. In real-world games. these actions are performed and rolled for by the player at the table, but on the site we either use Gladys or sites such as invisiblecastle.com to meet that random factor requirement. To roll a die or a number of dice, all you need do is make your post, then clock the 'Throw a die' option at the bottom of your post. This brings up a dialogue box which asks you what the roll is and how many sides are needed on the dice (this can be any number between 2 and 99). Once you click the second 'Throw a Die' button, the result appears in the bottom of your post and you then have the option of throwing more dice of the same number of sides (this is for games like Exalted that often require a multitude of 10-sided dice to be rolled).

2: The main difference between thread and forum roleplays beyond the size of the game on the site, is perhaps scale. A thread roleplay often has a single stream of activity, all the players posting their characters and actions in the same thread. Forum roleplays tend to be much larger with sometimes upwards of 8-15 players involved. Obviously in a Thread Roleplay, fifteen player profiles would be a huge amount of space in a single thread and the amount of activity would certainly mean that a single thread would be insufficient to contain the game in an easily-readable fashion. Forum roleplays have the advantage that multiple plots and settings can be run simultaneously for different groups of characters without confusing everyone as to where Character X is in relation to Character C. Thread Roleplays tend to have smaller scales in regard to setting, most of the action taking place in a single location or region, so there is not major wrench to people's minds when the read player's posts.

Captain Hesperus

[QUOTE="Captain Hesperus]Okay, lemme take this in numerical order.
1: The dice is our on-site dice roller (I call her Gladys, but the other Admins insist she's call Grace). Some of the games played on the site use established game systems, such as Dungeons and Dragons, the White Wolf system and others, which require dice rolls to add a random factor to actions undertaken by players. In real-world games. these actions are performed and rolled for by the player at the table, but on the site we either use Gladys or sites such as invisiblecastle.com to meet that random factor requirement. To roll a die or a number of dice, all you need do is make your post, then clock the 'Throw a die' option at the bottom of your post. This brings up a dialogue box which asks you what the roll is and how many sides are needed on the dice (this can be any number between 2 and 99). Once you click the second 'Throw a Die' button, the result appears in the bottom of your post and you then have the option of throwing more dice of the same number of sides (this is for games like Exalted that often require a multitude of 10-sided dice to be rolled).

2: The main difference between thread and forum roleplays beyond the size of the game on the site, is perhaps scale. A thread roleplay often has a single stream of activity, all the players posting their characters and actions in the same thread. Forum roleplays tend to be much larger with sometimes upwards of 8-15 players involved. Obviously in a Thread Roleplay, fifteen player profiles would be a huge amount of space in a single thread and the amount of activity would certainly mean that a single thread would be insufficient to contain the game in an easily-readable fashion. Forum roleplays have the advantage that multiple plots and settings can be run simultaneously for different groups of characters without confusing everyone as to where Character X is in relation to Character C. Thread Roleplays tend to have smaller scales in regard to setting, most of the action taking place in a single location or region, so there is not major wrench to people's minds when the read player's posts.

Captain Hesperus

[/QUOTE]
This was very helpful! Thanks! :)

A pleasure to help! Looking forward to seeing your character concept for Avvros, too! :D

Captain Hesperus

[QUOTE="Captain Hesperus]A pleasure to help! Looking forward to seeing your character concept for Avvros, too! :D
Captain Hesperus

[/QUOTE]
Alright! Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back