• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Dragon Age: the Lawful and the Cruel (Main)

Characters
Here

homintales

The only supremacy, is Pieck supremacy
fabian-els-blood-dragon-armour-5.jpg
Lucius BrightBurn
Lucius, his Blood Dragon armour equipped, stood ready outside the Warden Embassy in Denerim. He sighed. It all just seemed like one awful way to waste precious time. He wanted to leave Denerim right then and there. He wanted to march straight into the Kocari Wilds, a place you could actually fight some genuine Darkspawn, and not one where you are forced to interview a few recruits who more than likely don't even fit the Grey Warden standard.

Besides, Lucius wasn't a recruiter. And the other probably understood such an obvious fact. But they needed someone to play collector. And they might as well use the guy they've always seen as more of a liability than anything else. But as much as Lucius hated it, orders were still orders.

A few more hours passed, and every recruit was now lined up.
Finally. Lucius thought to himself. "Listen up! 'Cuz I'm only going to say this once." He didn't like yelling. Not because of some care towards other people's feeling. But because it only took a little screaming until the blood started to pour out. "You've all got different reasons as to why you're here. Maybe you chose this, you were conscripted, or it was either this or a nice tight rope. I really couldn't care less." From the number of recruits, Lucius was sure this wouldn't take too long. "Everyone, take a step forward and tell me who you are."

You can interview these Grey Wardens recruits or we'll march you into the Deep Roads early. Those were the two choices Lucius was given. It also gave the renegade Warden a new reason to want to slit his Commander's throats. Well, there were certainly worse ways to spend one's precious time. He would just need to move this along as quickly as possible. Then the time to sleep would come.

With the recruits all in place, Lucius started picking them out.
"Here's an idea, I'll start with this giant." Lucius walked up to the Quanari and, even though his stature was nowhere near as impressive, attempted to level with the new recruit. It was always a useful tactic when trying to strike fear into new recruits. Forcing them to stare into his chilling red eyes would reveal those who were actually Grey Warden material and those who were nothing more than scrap. "Never seen a Quanari in the Wardens. Not that I ever wanted one joining us. You all are some strange fanatics, aren't ya?" It seemed like everyone across Thedas could agree on one thing. The Quanari were untamable crazies who followed a code most would find a little too strict. "Although, you looking to join us either means you're a Quanari spy or... what's that silly name they call it?"

Taar-Antaam stepped forward whenever he was spoken to. It didn't take him long to notice the unnatural glow in Lucius' eyes. He did his best to be respectful, but it definitely made him uneasy. Some sort of sorcery was involved, a kind he'd not seen before. It was logical to assume that the Grey Wardens wouldn't allow someone into their ranks without being able to trust them. He kept his face straight but raised an eyebrow at Lucius' comment. The irony of a Grey Warden calling anyone a 'strange fanatic' didn't escape him. Taar-Antaam expected some suspicion. He didn't think it appropriate to call himself a Quanari. But Taar-Antaam didn't waste words. His voice was soft and deep and monotonous. "I'm not Ben-Hassrath. I am Tal-Vashoth."

Lucius snickered, amused that even someone so large and threatening looking could look so uneasy. "Right, that's the term they use. Can't say I wouldn't wanna leave those crazies too." Lucius's smile, not that anyone could see it, immediately vanished and his tone shifted to a serious one. "Someone like you will make a fine addition to our little Darkspawn slaughtering club." He reached towards and grabbed Taar's arm, pulling on it and taking the Quanari to his own level "Just make sure you never turn on us like you turned on them." He released his tight grip. "And don't go spewing any Quanari religious nonsense, or whatever it is you all look to."

Taar-Antaam felt like his superior might have a bit of a complex. He was glad that he made it passed this interview though. He mused on the interesting dynamic Lucien seemed to present. He was quite animated. Taar-Antaam didn't feel like he needed to explain his decision to leave the Qun. He straightened back up when Lucius was done. He felt it should be obvious he wouldn't be spreading the Qun.

I am Tal-Vashoth.

He'd already explained that though. He just nodded. "Of course."

The Elven Mage was the next recruit Lucius would attempt to figure out. Unlike the Quanari, it seemed like Lucius could work this one easy. As soon as Lucius approached his newest target, his thoughts on all Mages were revealed. "I don't like you Mages." Lucius informed, no real emotion attached to his words. He saw no reason to conceal his spoiled thoughts on Mages, especially since working with so many was all too common when fighting the Darkspawn. "Just need to get that outta the way. But don't worry, you at least won't get any judgement from me just 'cuz you're Elven." He laughed while not losing contact with his eyes. "So... what's your story, magic man? And more importantly, why're you wanting in the Wardens?"

Artheron coughed, still feeling a little feverish from the Darkspawn corruption. He did not understand why this interview was necessary. Had he not proven his ability to fight Darkspawn? Or the fact he was slowly dying did not grant him some leeway to progress the recruitment? "What a coincidence i dont like you Humans, but you will get a whole lot of judgement for being a Templar." He retorted half jokingly back at him, giving a rue laughs back. "It is not hard to tell, your bearing and manner are dead giveaways, not to mention the stink of lyrium on you."

He sighed. "You really need my life story? I thought the Grey Wardens dont judge. I am Mage trained in both Circle and Dalish magical arts and good with a sword and staff in melee. I have successfully helped defend my clan from a Darkspawn attack, counting my kiss in the several dozens before getting injured." He said in quick impatient succession of words. "So why I want to join the wardens. Tough tone. I could say is wanting something like what happened to my clan doesn't happen to anyone, Elven or not. I could also say, it is honor or that I am feeling vengeful against those soulless bastards. Though all those reasons are true, the most pressing reason I want to join the wardens is the little fact that I am dying and you wardens claim to have the nearest thing to a cure. "

Lucius could only struggle whilst attempting to contain his oncoming laughter. Not only was this Elven Mage a 'Honor my clan I must' type, not only were Templars on his non-friendly list... But in this Mages mind, the Grey Wardens were going to cure his Darkspawn affliction. Oh yeah, they were going to cure it alright. More like enhance it. Maker, it was too good. At the very least, Lucius could admire the Elf's nonexistent nervousness and his eagerness to move things along. "Hahaha, don't like us Templars, no?" He turned to a fellow Warden. "I like this one. I can tell, in the tower, you would've made an awful Tranquil." He smirked. "I should know, I personally made quite a few of them myself." Breaking eye contact, Lucius turned around, awaiting a response.

Artheron had instant dislike for Lucius and it was him being a Templar, his sense of humor and manner was off-putting. Like Lucius thought of himself smarted that everyone being able to access hidden knowledge. The smugness was grating. Artheron though was not one to deny that Lucius would know more about the wardens than he but Artheron was a dance either. He knew there was no true cure of the blight, only a delay. Right now a delay was much longer than what he had at the moment.

"And erase my charming personality? You can't afford to lose that... And besides, a sun tattoo on my forehead would look terrible." He joked back, half-heartedly, more feeling it as an obligation rather genuine banter. "Now are we going to have a serious conversation about the whole warden thing or am i here just to make jokes about our hangs about the handling of mages. I though the idea of the wardens that they dont much care about past and politics."

The next recruit came. "Huh... and I thought the Quanari looked strange." Lucius, only now using it, opened his info sheet. It contained information on the new recruits. He was given it as a way to successfully create a link with the recruits. However, Lucius wasn't one to get close with anyone anymore, and remembering someone's name is useless when you'll probably lose them in less than a week. Even so, this one's appearance was enough to tug on Lucius's curiosity. "Aran... Ar... Aranehn? Yeah... no. No way am I calling you that." Why were names always so strange. Why was it never just something simple like Peter, Samson, or Damon? "You've got a strange look about you, I must say." His words were probably found rude, not that it meant anything to Lucius. "Style is just a little..." Before continuing to mock his recruit's appearance, Lucius spotted what looked like an amulet around his neck. "Well, what's this?" He grabbed and aimed to inspect the strange looking jewelry, not asking for permission first.

Aranehn raised his eyebrows with Lucius' first remark. He wasn't insulted, too confident in his appearance for one little jab to upset him, besides the Quanari was really attractive, so honestly, he was going to take it as a compliment. Idly, he rested his hand on his waist as she watched the other man read his papers, no doubt information on him. It seemed like he'd piqued his curiosity, which was fair since Aran was probably the first Avvar most of the people around him had dealt with.

Aranehn laughed lightly as Lucius finally got his name out. "Aye, my name is Aranehn, got it from my Da. I understand it can be hard for the poor valley folk to say Elven names, so feel free to call me Aran, and well, I think my look isn't any stranger than that Quanari, nor the other half-elf. Y'aint seen one of us before? Thought we were more common among the valleys."

In an instant, Aran's semi-playful attitude dropped. He jerked away from Lucius, his hand shooting up towards his amulet and his teeth baring in a snarl. "I respect that you've got authority, but I would rather you ask before inspecting my person," he growled out. "This charm is sacred to me and my people, a gift from our gods. It does not leave my person."

It wasn't often that someone, especially not a recruit, would speak to Lucius in such a way. Well, it was rare when someone wanted to speak to Lucius in general, most fellow Wardens only acknowledging his existence out in the fields when fighting Darkspawn. And even then, they would all act like simple and obedient lambs, waiting patiently to receive orders, apologizing when making the smallest mistake, and making sure not to stare into Lucius's eyes even when face to face with the old Templar. "Sorry... my mistake." He apologized, an action so uncommon it even surprised the one giving it.

"This whole... 'Gods' thing... I don't really take shit like that too seriously." He confessed, his voice now missing a tone to follow his words. Long ago, while still a Templar, Lucius would actually pray to the Maker and seek wisdom in his stories. But the Maker was gone, a fact Lucius was forced to come to terms with long ago. And should any Gods remain, the not so evil ones anyway, they would've erased Lucius, the Mages, and Thedas's other evils from existence long ago. But no, the Gods and the Maker, were they still even there, didn't seem to care about Thedas's many troubles. Fuck 'em "Still you can worship and seek salvation with whoever you like. Avvar... right?"

With Lucius' apology, Aranehn softened, taking a breath to settle. He must've not meant the insult, so he wouldn't hold it against the other man. "No harm. Cultural difference, is all." He was warned back home that others wouldn't quite understand all the time. Da had told him to be forgiving, and he really didn't want conflict with brothers-in-arms.

It didn't surprise Aran that the other man didn't care for religion. Another person disappointed by the fraud they call Maker. He wanted to offer a small comfort to Lucius, but he had no idea how it would go over. "Aye, Avvar, from Blackhold." He looked into Lucius eyes, sensing the horror of his state. "The Maker might be missing, but Korth is here. The gods are all 'round us, in our ancestors and clan, and within nature. You can hear them in the rustle of leaves and whisper of streams. Look and you'll see them."

He didn't expect Lucius to take his words, but he felt compelled to offer some solace. It was clear to him now that Lucius had little happiness, so he would not add to his sorrows. He would be considerate. "I know you said you don't believe, and I can't make you. I hope I didn't offend. I'd rather make brothers than enemies."

"Brothers it is!" Lucius said with fake enthusiasm and an even less convincing smile, even though there was no way Aran could see it. He just wanted to move past the subject, uncomfortable with religious talks. "And no offense taken. Hope, when I was still able to possess it, was always a positive and got me through the cold nights." There were no more cold nights. Lucius's Blood, infused with the same wicked Blood magic that slaughtered his only friends, would only continue to scorch his insides. "So, should this Korth give you even a little, that is more than okay with me." He patted Aran on the shoulder. "For some reason I like you. So try not to get sliced open. Unlike these fools, I might actually notice you getting slain." With a chuckle, Lucius added, "Might even mourn you, should you impress me out there." Of course, Aran didn't look like the type to lose to the Darkspawn too early.

Aran was sure Lucius' sudden enthusiasm was a show, but he didn't pry. He smiled wryly when patted on the shoulder and laid his hand on his hip. "Aye, I've learned all I know from a mighty warrior; I won't go down easy." He fell back in line and thumbed the bear charm secured tightly to his neck. He had no fear of death; he would die a warrior's death, but he wished he'd at least gotten to see his brother again before he left.

He would make it through this, and when he did, he would take a moment wrote his family, let them know he was okay. It was silly, but he was already a little homesick. He couldn't turn back now, though. He always kept his word and never shied from battle; he was no coward. He was here for a purpose: to protect not only his family and his clan, but to protect everyone else as well. He wouldn't go back on that.

Now Lucius only needed to see one last recruit. Huh, a second Mage? Isn't just one sufficient? A single well trained Mage is strong enough to tackle an entire regime on its own, which is why those not serving remained in the Circle at all times, as they should. But then again, the Darkspawn, even to the Grey Wardens, were unpredictable. And last time anyone estimated, the Darkspawn were also numbering in the thousands. A good reason to allow someone who can shoot lighting from his fingers to join.

Like with the other two, Lucius gave this one his classic red stare. "So, pretty boy, where ya' from, and what's your story. You another conscript trying to avoid joining your Tranquil buddies? Or some Apostate who chose the Wardens over the Templars?"

It was almost predictable that he would be recruited into the wardens only to be questioned by a Templar. Least if his senses for gauging ones Templar persona hadn’t faded over the recent months, it wasn’t a real sense mind you more of a educated guess after so long around Templar’s at the circle of magi. Leaving Elias almost certain of this mans affiliation at one point or another. Pretty boy? Well apparently flattery and compliments are in abundance with the wardens, hey? Who knew…. The amused mage thought whilst listening.

The red eyes were a bit off putting but then again after seeing a abomination up close and all sorts of terrors within the fade. Elias pushed the thoughts and feelings aside quietly and remained calmly focused yet amused in some slight ways. He was already going to receive plenty of terrors upon the field of battle soon enough and perhaps for a lifetime with Darkspawn, no need to shake in his boots now or anything and become too tightly wound up. “Apostate? That is a very common word thrown toward mages, isn’t it? But alas, I shall answer your question. I was a circle mage til being conscripted to the wardens, a rather decent choice I suspect.”

"Better than remaining locked in the Circle, isn't it?" He joked and snickered. "Hope ya' still feel that way when Darkspawn are right on us and our comrades are in pieces." Lucius looked over the Mage one more time. "And should we find ourselves fighting the Darkspawn as one in the future, I'll need you to always remember one thing." He grabbed Elias's shoulder. "My position in the Templars was stolen long ago, and us Wardens seek victory no matter what it costs to achieve said victory." He made sure to speak louder in case there were other Mages nearby. "But I see you using any Blood Magic, I'll gut ya' myself. Understood?"

And that was everyone. Eager to leave, Lucius only gave his recruits a few last words. "I'll submit my reviews to Command in exactly one week. Until then, I would suggest you all get yourselves mentally and physically prepared for what is to come."

Quote Reply

Aran waited until Lucius had left before speaking to the others, "Is it just me, or am I the only one who's named? Aranehn or Aran is fine. What about the rest of you? It's only right to know the names of the people you fight beside." He ran a hand though his hair, shaking it lightly. "Though he was kinda a prick, yeah?" His curiosity was eating at him too, another question he couldn't really think of the answer to, "Why is there such a fear of magic and mages? Are there not Augurs who counsel you? The god you bond with should be there to guide you and train you to control your magic. I've heard of many 'abominations', but I do not understand. That affliction is so rare, and even then they die peacefully in their sleep..."

Last edited:
There was truth to what Lucious had said to him about freedom of the wardens was better then being locked up. Well, freedom almost sounded too strong a word compared to the former templars reply and the likelihood of the wardens not being quite so freeing in some regards. But the ability to wander about fereldan and perhaps other nations of Thedas along even the dwarven cities, thaigs and deep roads then perhaps the wilds of and forests of various places, so many small and wonderous things to him.

Elias could tell there was no such thing as a easy life within the grey wardens, protectors of the stone and all life that become threatened by the Darkspawn existence. But then again, he was a mage and that was no picnic either. Prejudice, misguided educations and teachings about mages of the people of the outside world beyond the towers were taught anything at all. Unfair laws, prison life from a young age and withheld from experiencing the simple things in life much less anything grand and luxurious or bringing of joy to ones soul.

Blood magic? Aye, the foolery of such desires and endeavors into such teachings of magic. Right foolish and shortsighted with no true gains. Elias had thought in reply to hearing such warnings from Lucious. The former circle mage was never a fool in his own mind and wouldn’t allow such idiocy to consume him by wasting himself in such ways. No, while he did study older forms of magic not taught openly within the circles, he was no blood mage or has the slightest interest in that despised form of sorcery and demonic seduction.

But nodding quietly to it all and watching as the Templar spoke once more to the group of recruits as a whole then leaving to give his reviews. Elias motioned toward a place to sit or least prop himself up for a time aiming to quietly isolate and contemplate his life now. It would be a welcomed change to his old life and options given to him before the conscription however he was aware life wouldn’t be all sunshine and daisies or whatever that old saying was from his senior enchanter that mentored him the most over the years.

But that would seem to be for another time… Aran was it? Yes, Aran it was confirmed by the lad himself. The Avvar began to speak aloud to them all, perhaps wanting to get familiar with one another and the like now that from here on, they would be comrades in arms. The man was a curious one, no doubt they all were in truth even the Templar with a understandable disdain for blood magic. However this one began to amuse the human mage causing him to chuckle as he plopped himself down on a barrel and sat his foot down just so on another to prop his arm over his knee as well. Elias then tossed his head up bringing his hair to fall back in similar manner and clearing his view a bit for his eyes.

Whilst playing with a coin using his fingers to direct it back and forth across his knuckles and between his fingers. “A pleasure Aran…. My amusing new friend, if I may call myself that so early.” Elias began quieting his chuckles and keeping a smile on turn towards the man. A kindness and respectful manner about him still as well, understanding perhaps such liberties and assumptions were not yet earned and made quite yet atleast. If they ever would

“You can call me Elias, if you’d like. But no, the mere thought of the chantry actually teaching honest and fair education of magic and us mages to the masses is rather funny, I must say.” The human mage and shapeshifter spoke beginning to answer the Avvars curiosity and questions. “In short, the chantry would lose too much apparently to spread true peace and understanding between mages and all folk around Thedas. Perhaps races and differences of religions too? I also believe due to certain truths about our dear old chantry and maker, plenty of misunderstandings and twisting of words to interpret things differently from others version. Our ways have become far more complicated or common really compared to what I get it must be like for your people. Abominations tend to become a regular threat the more we mages feel oppressed and mistreated. Some blindly or foolishly fall victim to demonic seduction.” Elias added though almost certain he was rambling and almost complaining in rant form with his feelings on the matter and recent, more personal and tragic losses suffered in the form of a dear friend.

“Well, I’ll digress as I’m not really answering anything now… am I? Onto happier things like these Darkspawn and merry battles we shall engage in together. Hey?” The mage chuckled and tossed his coin up into the air and caught it with swift move to his coin purse and pocket as he spoke. “In short addition though, you’ll find many differences that are indeed complicated and different not only with magic but many things I’m sure. I know I will be…” He smiled and gave nod to Aran. “As for the old Templar…. Well, he was almost half decent really. In my experience Templar’s are usually far worse or can be. Plenty of decent ones too I suppose, just overshadowed by the bad ones…. Rambling again aren’t I? My apologies I shall work on it.”

Elias added with a smile and soft chuckle before going quiet once again to allow for others to speak.

Taar-Antaam was impressed by the patience the others had. Their interviewer seemed to be on a bit of a power trip. Or maybe he just liked buzzing in their ears to mess with them. Still, there was some cleverness here among his new allies. He was amused when Aranehn introduced himself. He found himself agreeing with the human. Having spent time among the Avvar, Taar-Antaam understood where they were coming from. He moved his sword to rest against his arm as the mage settled himself into a seat. He seemed awfully polite. The Tal-Vashoth had to wonder how much trouble he had dealt with in his life in The Circle. He probably had become quite used to apologizing for no wrong on his part.

"My name is Taar-Antaam."

He smiled politely at the mage before looking to the Avvar,

"They don't commune with the spirits here, and the maker plays no role in their day-to-day lives. There is no bonding with The Maker. As you probably know, they believe in only one god. And their archmages do not teach them as good as your augurs do."

The giant sword propped against his arm was coated in wax paper to keep it from getting dirty. It would look like a fake if it wasn't for it's rigidness. Taar-Antaam adjusted his shield strap so it could hang from behind his shoulder to give him a bit more comfort. He thought it was probably a bad idea to wear his full kit to the interview. He expected to see combat right now. The Korcari Wilds were teeming with darkspawn, and instead of going out there to face off with the darkspawn he's standing in a room, just tall enough to keep his horns from scraping the ceiling.

Artheron was relieved to know that he was not the only mage among the recruits, he had a colleague to dislike their assigned interviewer and minder. It was also a relief that Lucius' particularly brand of recruit treatment was not unique to the elven mage. His interview did not give the best first impression for his time among the wardens but Artheron could grin and bare until recruitment was over, and he was assigned elsewhere... The wardens did have assignments right?

He decided to look at the rest of the recruits. It is quite mixed group with an avvar and even a tal-vaashoth. How novel, he had only heard of the Qunari species in theory, never met one person. This could be a valuable opportunity to learn more about them. The only pity was there wasnt any women in the group. True they're likely facing a tough time if the rumours of a blight were correct but some feminine company did sometimes make some trials much more bareable. Pity, he would have to look for it with the experience wardens which doesnt have the benefit of the recruitment as an icebreaker.

"Pleasure Aran, I am Artheron." He introduced himself to the Avvar once the others introduced themselves and in weighed in on the topic about the danger of mages. "Here thought joining the warden will lead to more pleasant conversation than politics and mage issue. Something like Darkspawn and blights, much more pleasant. A better topic: is how was everyone recruited?"

Days passed as Lucius continued to remain in his quarters, only spending his time sending a few letters to his people in Denerim and Orlais. The constant agony Lucius usually endured was starting to, ever so slightly, subside, as it sometimes would when Lucius found true peace in a calm setting.

And then, it inevitably returned as soon as the night came. The recruits who Lucius previously interviewed would now partake in the Joining ritual. As always, there was an incalculable chance a few recruits would not survive the Joining and would succumb to the Darkspawn taint. But should a recruit possess the will needed to survive, the taint inside them will allow them to fight the Darkspawn more effectively than anyone else.

Filling the Joining chalice with the cold Darkspawn Blood, Lucius chose Aran to go through with the Joining first. "Here you are, Aran." He placed the chalice in Aran's now open grasp. "I am positive you will impress me." Unlike with a few others, Lucius was actually expecting to see Aran survive the Joining. Those with the strongest wills would always manage to survive. But then again, this wasn't always the case. "Now is your chance. Prove you are indeed Warden material."

Aran was undeniably nervous. Not to die, he knew that he was signing a death warrant when he decided to seek out the Wardens; he was nervous that he was making a poor decision. He twirled the chalice for a moment, imagining his parent's supportive smiles and remember the letter he'd sent to his brother.

He drank, deeply, one long pull. The taste was acrid, and the ichor burned more than any spirits he'd had. He felt fine for only a moment, then it hit. The pain so fierce and debilitating that he couldn't even cry out. He felt his body fall on his knees, and then a soft murmur in the back of his head. His consciousness swam for what felt like an eternity before he finally came to, alive but head pounding.

"Good, you made it." Lucius smiled while assisting Aran regain his footing. He was glad to see someone so fierce and committed survive the Joining ritual. It was evidence enough to show only the special were chosen to join the Wardens. "It is complete. You are a Warden now, Aran. I'm sure you will give the Darkspawn more trouble than they think is possible." After making sure Aran would not collapse again, which was something that occurred frequently not long after his own Joining, Lucius walked over to give the chalice to the next recruit.

Aran took Lucius' help graciously. In truth, he wasn't sure if he'd be able to stand on his own without it. He palmed his head, trying to ease the ache away, long enough to thank Lucius for his words. "Aye, thank you," he muttered lightly.

As soon as he was steady, Lucius stepped away, and he breathed deep. The pulsing ache in his skull faded, and he watched with baited breath as the next person took the chalice. He hoped that everyone survived though he knew the outcome was unlikely, so he watched, thumbing his amulet.

"Mage, now it is your turn." And that was all Lucius said before handing Marrion the chalice filled with Darkspawn gore. Unlike the other Mage, Lucius was at least willing to give Marrion a 50/50 chance on surviving.

Artheron frowned, he was sick of the whole Mage thing from Lucius. Still that paled in comparison to the chalice brought before him and the dark foreboding mixture of Darkspawn blood inside him. It seemed surreal, already poisoned by their blight but the only way to delay the poison from killing him was to drank to more of their corruptions. He hesitated. "This seems... Counterintuitive." He muttered.

Lucius snickered. It looked as though the Mage possessed second thoughts. "You're not wrong." This wasn't going to save Artheron's life, not in the slightest. Postpone his inevitable turning, sure. But in the end, the Calling would take his mind. "As awful as it seems. This may just give you a second chance." Looking towards the other recruits, Lucius clarified, "There is no turning back." before shoving the chalice into Artheron's chest. "Drink."

Artheron looked at Lucius with surprise, was that almost seemed like kindness and words of encouragement from the ex-Templar. Then quickly returned to form when Lucius shoved the chalice on to Artheron's chest. Artheron took the chalice and looked down at it, it did not look any more appetizing. "Well... I have nowhere better to be... The hell with it."

Without further hesitation, the half elf lifted the chalice to his mouth and sipped some of the black mixture. It tested terrible, and it seemed to set fire to his throat but that palled in comparison to how bad he felt it would be. He handed it back, waiting for the other shoe to drop. There was an aftertaste of some herb and lyrium might hold the clue why it was palatable.

As that thought occurred to him was when the full effect of the joining struck him. Suddenly, he felt the worst kind of dizziness and migraine like nothing he ever felt before. Thousands of voices seemed to sing in his mind all at once overwhelming his senses. Things went black for a few seconds, then an image formed, a dragon appeared, black as night and all scale and teeth. Terrible and petrifying. It looked at him then roared.

Things when blank again before his senses returned, he was on the ground looking up at the others. It felt like he run a mile, his heart thumbing away and his breathing heavy. "Well...Shit..."

It was the second Mage's chance now. Lucius wasn't so sure this one would manage to survive the Joining. But then again, Mages were always stronger than they looked. Holding out the Joining chalice towards Elias, Lucius smirked. "I'm not so sure about you, Elias. So go on. Prove to me I'm wrong about you, about Mages." The chalice was forced into Elias's hands. "Prove to me you're a Warden."

It would be a nice little shot and doubt from the Templar overseer wouldn’t it? Ah well, life as a mage was rather common and traditional that way it would have been strange otherwise Elias would have to admit. The way this warden sounded it was as if the joining was far worse then anything he could have been through already…. Could it be so much worse then a Harrowing? Woken up in the wee hours with no preparation or forewarning to essentially be thrown to the wolves within the fade barely a clue of what to accomplish til there? A certain death if demons escaped during that time and took a foot ahold through such a mage…. A wonder it was truly.

But alas it was time to prove this Templar wrong once more it seemed. Elias had no interest in failing here, he’d come this far and falling before a Templar or former Chantry man anyhow was not suitable to his liking. “You’re a funny one Lucius, doubting me already? Ha! Wouldn’t be the first you know. I’d chug that thing if I were a fool and this a contest.” Elias spoke in turn accepting the joining chalice and eyeing it upon first chance to look it over quickly out of mere curiosity. Allowing for a slight pause to add further to his humorous style of taking life and whatever it threw at him. Never one to show weakness and vulnerability easily.

“Doubting a mage like me would be foolish. But I’ll not hold you to your continued doubts of me, sooner or later we’ll be wardens together. Now, how’s that for a future for you?” Elias quipped before taking his drink from the joining chalice. No doubts, no regrets and all certainty in his life’s decisions leading up til this moment. Regardless of the outcome he was his own mage and lived his life as much as possible, given the limitations mages were given in life and usual treatment of them.

Overall it was a good run……

The human mage who’d always take the humorous path and quipped filled banter to everything. Masking his pain, withholding his tears and fighting on the best ways he knew how while getting the better of his enemies more times then he’d allow himself easily beaten in life. Elias having taken the drink, feeling the burn and disgusting taste of that toxic mixture began to shut his eyes tight and turned his head just a little on a tilt forcing himself to remain upright. Visions and motions contorting his face just so and leaving him quite disturbed, uncomfortable and hating the bite this joining offered in such a manner that left it digestible yet burning. Through it all however……

Elias survived and stood before Lucius and the other recruits tall as he could be. Persistent, alive and present as ever although the kick this drink offered would challenge any statement of no regrets he had. A nasty mess it was this joining chalice, hard to endure and harder to imagine which was tougher between this and the harrowing. Confidence would alongside his experience say the Harrowing was far easier and thus far more acceptable for a second go a round before doing this drink again. Though he doubted such a matter would ever be necessary.

"Haha, and so it is." Lucius was only able to softly laugh as Elias stood so tall. Though Lucius's laughs were not meant to resemble an insult. He was pleasantly surprised and even a little impressed to see Elias not only survive consuming the Darkspawn gore, something strong enough to leave even the most promising recruits on the ground until sunrise came, Lucius was also impressed to see Elias regain his footing and composure so quickly. It was similar to Lucius's own Joining.

Lucius retrieved the chalice while congratulating Elias on surviving the Joining. "Elias, you are now a Grey Warden." Lucius made sure to warn Elias, as well everyone else, about the Warden's expectations. "Honorable as this new position may seem, you may need to change yourself in order to survive what is out there." Victory no matter the cost usually meant seeing things that would stick with you until the end came. "Keep that in mind."

The worst of it was over then? Doubtful yet that was the hope Elias had coming to mind. Least for now he’d not have to endure another round of darkspawn blood and nightmares spawning sludge that drink offered. A small silver lining he’d tell himself for now and take hold of least for the time. Looking toward Lucius with a noting of his laugh and composing himself as much as possible to bring himself of capable to respond. Elias smiled a corner grin and gave a slight nod to the Templar turned Warden even as tough as hell and brutal this joining was he remained determined to force himself through and upright. “My thanks Lucius…” the mage simply responded in turn to the mention he was now a grey warden.

It was a small thing but one he’d take note of bringing a laugh out of the man. Furthermore hearing his name amongst the grey wardens now was a big victory in its own right, one he’d likely cherish for a while least during such a time he could anyway. The warning and reminder however was a noteworthy, tough but true realistic fact to take hold and grasp its meaning before it was any later. Could even Elias take his manner now and make it endure the rest of time within the wardens and all they’d likely see? Endure? Fight against? Now that will be a true test.

Perhaps this joining truly was only the beginning…. Hey? “A grim reality…. Aye? Well I don’t much like the sounds of that giving up my charming wit and humor….. Alas,” Elias replied though even in slight jest to lighten up the mood. He understood well enough it was a sad, harsh truth that could most certainly be. “A burden I shall accept. Even the most charming can understand the harshest truths…. Boy, I must really love this one to give up such a thing though. “ The mage added, making it clear that even with all his jest and likely annoyance with his behavior to some or all, he understood and would accept it. Even if still doing it within his own manner of being and style.

It was a rare night when a Joining resulted in zero casualties. At least one recruit would always perish, proving to weak and lacking the resolve. But this night was, assuming Antaam would survive his own Joining, which Lucius assumed was a given, going surprisingly well. Approaching Antaam, the last recruit, Lucius gave the Qunari the Joining chalice. "Antaam. From this night until your last, you are a Grey Warden."

Antaam looked into the chalice offered, and without hesitation took it with a single hand. Whatever blood sorcery had created this potion was powerful. The black liquid held no reflection for him. He lifted it up to his lips. There was no real smell Antaam had to compare it to, just bitter pain. He took in a large draft, and swallowed with a bit of resistance. The shock was immediate. He handed off the Chalice to Lucius with a shaking hand, and stumbled back a bit. A white haze overcame his sight, and the only thing he could see was a hazy vision.

Within this vision, he stands in a burning field with bodies raining from the sky. The hills surrounding him were piled high with festering corpses. He sees blood pour from a hole in the ceiling of the heavens, pooling into a festering, smoking pit carved by some kind of powerful blast. From it, an ugly thing climbs its splattering body out and leaps into the sky. This abomination takes a shadowy shape, a dark dragon with its great black wings blocking out the sun as if an ink stain on the universe blotted out the very light of the world. Its obscene form was grotesque and diminished in some aspects. The creature was scrawny, like an old serpent, its flesh wrinkled and eyes sunken. A piercing guttural cry echoed from its body and washed over the field like a soul-rotting wave.

Antaam found himself leaning against his sword when his senses returned to him. He felt bruised on the inside. Exhausted. The vision hadn't lasted long, but it left him with the feeling of being watched. He smacked his lips, "That was.., unpleasant." He couldn't have prepared himself for that. He felt like he could use a good wash, though he knew nothing could scrub off the wrongness he felt. It was something he would have to get used to.

Lucius was pleasantly surprised. Everyone, at least his own assigned recruits, survived the Joining. He was certain they would all prove themselves as great assets in the Wardens neverending fight against the Darkspawn. "Don't celebrate just yet." He warned them. "According to the senior Wardens, a Darkspawn Horde has made itself a home in the Kocari Wilds." He smirked. "So start packing, and get ready for some Grey Warden training."

"We're closing in on the Wilds now." Lucius said to his followers, slashing through one last Darkspawn Genlock. The things was sliced in two like a melon. "Haha... yes! It looks like there's more than enough Darkspawn in these Wilds." With all the Darkspawn Lucius could sense lurking around, Lucius assumed everyone would soon find themselves used to the fighting in no time.

"Alright, everyone needs to listen well. 'Cause I'm only sayin' this once." Helmet now removed, Lucius' eyes shined with more crimson than usual. "You're gonna split into two teams. The team able to eliminate 50 Darkspawn first, I give you a few Sovereigns and send you to Denerim. But the losing team... well..." A sadistic smile crept onto his face. "We return to camp, where you'll fight me 2 on 1."

Clasping his palms, Lucius shouted. "Forward my children, charge the enemy!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back