Darkness Falls (The Lady Kitsunerisu and Tesla)

Darkness has fallen on the land, the Dragons that had once roamed the land and protected the humans have all but disappeared. An evil greater than anything the world has seen has arrived. The world has been set aflame, men and women have died by the thousands. Fire has engulfed the land, making it impossible to grow crops upon, famine has become an epidemic, disease has surged across the lands, desolating the population. The world was not what it once was. Once it had been full a beautiful green pastures, food a plenty, and disease only a small threat. The world has turned into an apocalyptic place, thanks to the great and powerful Dragon, Zevran. He is the last survivor of the first line of Dragons. He has grown bored in his slumber and wishes to create havoc, to take pleasure in the pain and suffering that the races of mother Earth. His mass is as huge as a mountain, and his breath as hot as magma. All fear him, and none dare to challenge him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

In the small town of Vilandria, where merchants of wealth lived, a cloaked figure moved through the streets, hardly noticed by those around her. Her steps were light, only the slightest clink of her armour and equipment letting people know that she wasn't just an apparition. It was fifty years after darkness had fallen across the land, and the ground was becoming fertile once again thanks to the magick of Mages. Crops were finally growing once again, and the animals were once again flourishing. The threat of Zevran was still at the back of every person's mind, but he had a liking for attacking and destroying capitals, not small, insignificant villages. Though the woman had her suspicions that, in fact, he didn't attack small villages so that the populations of the races could regenerate so that he could have more play things. She didn't think that he wanted every single sentient creature on Earth dead, he simply wanted to keep himself from being bored.

The hooded woman looked around, seeing the faces of many man, woman and child. The men were lifting heavy objects, the women were working the merchant stalls, their children were playing in the streets, playing things such as tag. She felt a bump as a fourteen year old boy run into her and attempted to keep running. Her hand flew out and grabbed him by his arm, holding on tightly.

"Give it back," she hissed into his ear, holding her other hand out. The boy, now shivering, dropped her coin purse back into her hand. This triggered her letting go of him, letting him fall to the ground. She didn't look as he cried out in pain and just continued to walk to her destination. She may have been a thief herself, but she had a crude dislike for other thieves. She weaved her way through the bustling crowd, not stopping for the merchants asking her if she wanted a free sample, or if she wanted to touch some fabric that would be just as rough as the hide of a Dragon, she just focused on her destination, and soon she reached it. It was the only tavern in the area, and it was rather shady. She was sure that if she had bothered to walk behind it she would have found a scantily clad woman or two behind there, perhaps even a man in the mix.

She shook her head of any visions of a lewd nature she had manifested before opening the tavern door, being hit with the sound of a fighting ring, a few minstrels and bards playing a tune and singing in harmony, creating a rather rambunctious atmosphere. A small smirk passed across her face as she scanned the crowd, seeing many people who were already in the throes of alcoholic ecstasy. They were singing, laughing, a few were stripping on a dare. The tavern was truly the only place you could go for dinner and a show.

Her eyes finally found the man she was looking for. He was a pudgy, wealthy merchant who had put up a notice on the Chantry board, looking for people to assist him in something that paid well. She had instantly taken an interest and decided to meet him. She quickly made her way through the rowdy customers to where he sat, smoothly sitting across from him. She drew her hood back, revealing a woman with pale skin, high cheekbones, dull green eyes, and soft looking brunette hair. She had a trustworthy face, and she hoped that she would seem trustworthy to him.

"Greetings, sir," she began, her young, yet mature voice easily reaching his ears, "I saw your notice on the Chantry board (The Chantry is a religious type thing), and I was hoping that perhaps you could give me details and give me a chance to work for you," she leaned forward to put her forearms on the table, her fingers interlacing with each other as she folded them.

@Tesla

All gone.

A depression as heavy as the stench of sweat in the air threatened to overpower him. His stash. His fortune. His fate. His bloody cards.

Nothing. Bloody nothing. Did I piss in a church or something? What is with this luck. Deciding his best choice of action was to sit and observe, Matteus felt his face split into one of his renowned smile. He had always told himself that a good smile could be a sharper weapon than any blade. A smile could signify emotion, it could hide intent and all in all, no one knew what you were thinking. Like the man in front of him, perched on the edge of his seat like a gargantuan toad watching his prey with slitted eyes a wide smile on his face. That smile signalled defeat. It signalled it was time to retreat.

If someone who rarely smiles, does so, he has one plastered on his face for a reason.
So, George. No wait. Was it William? What card do you have in your hands...

"Well, Daniel, my friend." Matteus let the name draw out hoping for recognition but was only greeted with a confused look. "I'm all in." With one hand he proceeded to drop all the coins on his side into the pouch in the middle of the table, his grin never leaving his face. His Da always said, when you're on the losing leg you go all in in the hopes that the smarter man thinks he's too smart for you and makes a mistake. The cards flipped.

"Looks like you lose." The slow drawl that emanated from the man was deep and gritty, and smelt like the burnt tobacco he had smoked. In his grimy hands he flipped over three Aces, with the fourth being on the table.
Four of a bloody kind. Matteus glanced to his hand. A pair. Looks like his Da was wrong. He could only shrug and laughed a deep laugh as he kicked into action and kicked the middle leg of the table, sending it crashing into the mans' chest. Leaping to his feet he made a wild grab for the pouch in the middle of the table with one hand while grabbing the hard oaken chair with his other. Then again, his Da had always said that if all in failed, to run for your bloody life. A spin delivered the chair into the bouncer by the wall and sent himself out onto the street.

"Don't mind the slight, Tom! A man has to make a living some how!" He let a whoop out as he sprinted down the crowded street. Must be market hour. Ignoring the shouts from behind him and the clinging hands of market hawkers, he made his way through the rough cobbled roads Vilandria. He needed to find a place to lay low until he could get out of town. Managing to narrowly avoid a gaggle of rough shod children, he lost his footing and crashed into a group of chicken coops.

Get up you fool! Shouts erupted from just around the corner, as he got to his feet his eyes watering in pain from where a hen had attacked him in frenzy, defending it's coop which had thoroughly bruised him. He needed a place to hide, and he needed it soon. With the hen still plucking at his boots, he spotted a nearby tavern, lights ablaze and from the cheering and groans coming from within, a fighting pit within. What crazy man would attempt to even try to find a thief in that hellhole?

With a surge of energy and a lack of forethought, he stooped to pick up the angry hen and made a wild dash to the door. Using his only hand he flung it open and threw himself inside. Making his way through the crowd he scanned for a open table which he could be seated at in order to meld in. Spotting a table with what seemed a young girl and a large man, he made his way to it and sat himself down, holding the hen at arms length to stop himself from having his eyes pecked out.

"Excuse my interruption. I'll only be a moment, just need a seat for a few minutes then I'll be on my way." He let a wide grin cross his face as he observed the two.

The young woman looked to her left where a man had sat next to her. Her gaze traveled down his toned form, taking in the hen before the smell of feces wafted into her nose, making her eyes water. She scooted a little to the side so that she wouldn't be so near the scent before turning in her chair, facing him. Her employer had taken just a few moments more to smell the feces, and he did not take it as well as the woman had. His hand flew to his nose, making rude noises. It was obvious that the smell had caught him off guard and he was choking ever so slightly on it.

"Are you here for the job as well?" The Merchant asked, his voice like that of a toad, low and gravelly, but in a very unattractive way. The woman couldn't help but smile just a tiny bit, liking to see the high and might merchant in distress. She slowly moved her hands under the table, muttering something really quickly. The smell got horrible for a few moments before it disappeared completely, being replaced by the smell of piss and cheap ale. The merchant took in a deep, unhindered breath and sighed in relief. Hen's weren't known to be the best smelling, and surely landing in a coup would have dragged some very unpleasant things on your person. As she looked at the handsome man, she found that he was armed, and armoured. He was obviously not a random passerby, perhaps he had seen the notice on the Chantry board as well.

"Greetings, my name is Rhiannon, and you a-," she was interrupted as the door was slammed open, filling the tavern with dull, evening sunlight. The men were obviously guards of some sort, wearing leather armour, one carried a greatsword, and another carried a simple longsword with a small buckler shield. They had no helmets, but they looked plenty intimidating without the helmets on. They were all broad muscle, and scarred up to look both ugly and arousing. Rhiannon didn't have a liking for either of them though, both of them were far too muscled for her tastes, and they were guards on top of that, the relationship would never work. She smirked to herself, seeing the man beside her stiffening up just a bit.

She let out a small sigh, following the Thief code she lived by. If a fellow thief is in trouble, help him or her out. She slowly leaned over to him and whispered into his ear, "I am going to do something, and this may tingle a bit, but act natural," she touched his leg, probably a bit higher up than she should have and muttered something, a tingling sensation coming from her hand and spreading across his body, reaching up to his face. The tingling sensation was the worse in his face. She had put a glamour on him and he didn't look the same way that he did, now he had blonde hair, and he had a bit of fat around his midsection. She smiled at her handy work as she turned to her employer who looked very shocked and looked ready to call the guards.

"I am just giving you a view of my talents, sir," he calmed at that and nodded, leaning back in his chair, sipping at a drink.

@Tesla

They found me, piss. Were the first thoughts as everyone cut off and the door slammed open. You'd think by the amount of attention I've gathered that I killed someone. It was then that the young girl beside him, Rhiannon as she had introduced herself before being interrupted, whispered into his ear. He didn't know what he was more surprised by, where she touched him or the feeling that came over him. It's not something he felt much, but when he had been healed years past, he had felt something similar.

The merchants face had gone purple and seemed like he was about to burst and was staring at him. Sensing a fight coming on, his hand strayed to his axe on his side, gripping the handle.

"I am just giving you a view of my talents, sir." the girl beside him spoke.

Clever girl... Who was this girl? Deducing that some sort of magic was protecting him, he calmed himself and decided to glance at the girl beside him, arching an eyebrow. She was pretty. She was pretty and there were a spark in her eyes that foretold knowledge. Life. A dangerous mix, beauty and intelligence. And she was a mage. The way she had touched his leg, well, he certainly would not say no, that was for certain.

A sharp pain from his cheek brought his back to his senses. He had relaxed his grip on the hen and had forgot about it, which was now attempting to find food within his facial hair.
Where the bloody hell did this come from? Certain his glamour had reverted due to the incessant poultry meddling, he placed the hen on he floor and looked up at the man in front of him.

"When do we leave?" He asked with his usual grin. "For this job that is. I assure you, you'll find no better fighter, charmer, lover and cheap to boot!" He glanced a look behind him and noticed the big burly guards searching the inn. Leaning in towards Rhiannon he lowered his voice to a whisper.

"Where are we going again?"

Rhiannon kept her hand on his leg, not trusting herself in her tired state to keep the glamour up for long without physical touch. She smiled at him shushed him as she turned back to her purple-faced employer. The man didn't look pleased that he would have to pay two people, but two people were better than one. He took in a breath and then continued speaking.

"Well, if you allow me to speak, young man, I will tell you. I have an underground system that allows my merchant caravan to pass through without having to worry about the flying lizards. They were supposed to be here over a week ago, and I have grown worried that something has slaughtered them in the caverns. This job pays fifty Orens each, and I want you to destroy whatever has destroyed my caravan," the man stopped for a moment, taking a drink before leaning in, fat oozing over the table as his stomach pressed into it. "I also need proof that you killed whatever killed my caravan, so I will only pay if you bring me its head," he leaned back again, taking another drink and falling into silence, allowing them to think it over.

Rhiannon turned to her 'friend' and smiled, "It seems like it is a fairly well paying job, and with the two of us it may very well be easy, what do you think?"

Fifty pissing Orens. That's it? He had earned more in an hours of honest thief work, back in his day. And all that was far less dangerous than what this job encompassed. Then again, beggars could not be choosers he reminded himself. He drummed his fingers on the oaken table and glanced over at Rhiannon. This close, he could smell the faint sweet musk of a woman on her. Maybe he could have some fun on the side too, never knew when a man could use some allies.

"Missing caravan. May be dangerous. Bring heads if we survive. I like the odds. I'll take it." He took a glance behind him to check on the guards seeking him out. Angered at the failure of letting a criminal escape, one of the guards muscled hands landed on the shoulder of a drunkard sitting in the corner. Suddenly determining that the man had too much to drink, they roughly shoved the man out of the door, displeasure spread across their faces. Matteus let out a sigh of general
relief, Matteus leaned onto the table. He nodded to Rhiannon, thanking her for the glamour and steepled his hands together. "The name is Matteus. Matteus 'Filigree' Hencel. It'd only be common courtesy if I took your name before your money." He grinned a wicked grin and looked towards the obese merchant. obviously uncomfortable in his presence.

Last edited by a moderator:
The merchant looked as though he hadn't appreciated the words of the female's companion, "My name is Nathaniel of Grendale, and you two are the only ones that have come and taken an interest in my plight, so you are hired," he pulled out his coin purse with one hundred orens in it. "I will not pay you until you get back, but I will give you twenty orens for travelling expenses," he took out twenty orens and put them on the table, then he brought a map out with a black, curving line on it. "The tunnel is a three days journey on foot, and the tunnel itself is a days journey. If you are not back within twelve days I will claim you dead and hire someone else," he shoved the map at them both and rose from the table, nearly pushing it over with his stomach and simply left the two there with a map and twenty orens.

Rhiannon took in a deep breath, smelling the scent of a masculine male, something she had always enjoyed. She turned to him, a small smile on her face, "Well, I suppose that makes us partners in crime, now doesn't it?" She brought out her slender hand that was rough from work, "For a proper introduction, my name is Rhiannon Ridlain, and yours is?" She couldn't help but stare at him. He was exactly her type, but she smelled mischief on him, and she had once made a vow to never get involved with men like him, but sometimes it was ever so hard to do that.

Matteus watched the rotund figure of the merchant waddle out of the door, holding a handkerchief across his face to negate the smell of the blood ridden fighting pit he passed. The door closed behind with a slam and Matteus and Rhiannon were left alone at the table, the money and map between them. He leaned back and lifted a hand to his face and brushed back his hair, now able to relax since the departure of the guards. He held out his hand and took Rhiannon's in return, shaking it, his grip more of a caress than a squeeze. Say anything about Matteus, he always had manners for the ladies.

"Partners, it is." He smiled at her, noticing her stare at him, trying to charm her even more. "My name is Matteus Hencel, back home I had the name 'Filigree'. But that was a long time ago and a long way away."
Used to be people would recognise that name. Now, it's fallen off, like my pissing fortune. A smell hit his nose and he crinkled his nose in displeasure before realising the smell emanated from him. The romp in the coop did no wonders for his charm.

"I can tell by your skills that you are some sort of mage, no? Thank you, for earlier. I guess I owe you." He took a look at himself and frowned in disgust. "Before we head off however, I should clean up and patch myself up. I need to place to do that, preferably not anywhere near the guards."

Rhiannon gave him a once over, taking in his fecal covered form, her charm beginning to fade from him.

"I am indeed a mage, I am training myself in a most rare form of magick, I hope to be finished with my self-training, soon." She smoothly arose from her seated position and moved over to the innkeeper, handing him two Orens, "My friend would like a bath, would you be so kind as to draw him one?" She gave him her best smile. The gruff bartender nodded his head briskly before turning and yelling at a poor, ginger headed boy.

"Get a bath running, boy, or I'll have your skin flayed from your bones!" The pimple faced boy nodded and ran off to get a bath ready. "The bath is big enough for two if you want to take one as well, or if you hand me two more orens I could draw you another one that is next to it," he waited for her to answer, and she nodded her head, handing him two more orens before stepping away, going back to her companion.

"Four orens later, we are both going to be able to bathe, it will be a luxury that I do not know often," she smiled. It would take at least half an hour for the baths to be ready, for they had to warm the water for them. Hopefully there will be a screen between the bathtubs. She thought to herself, unconsciously rubbing her hand.

Matteus nodded at her as she rose towards the innkeep. He let his eyes slide over her figure. Now that she had stood up, he could trace the curvy figure hidden under all her kit. "You sure you don't want to share a tub with me? It's big enough." He let out a deep chuckle to himself as he stood to stretch. He winced at the pain he felt in the abdomen, that one was going to take a while to heal. "I don't pissing get my luck. Throw me in a fight, against three men and I'll win, come out a bit bloody. But throw me into a chicken co-op with a hen and I'll come out more bruised than the fight." He looked towards the innkeeper who was just about to disappear into the kitchen. "I'll have two plates of supper too please, Innkeep!"

The fighting pit roared with cheering as one of the contestants went down in a flurry of blood, piquing his interest. Considering it'd take a while for the supper to arrive and the bath to be drawn, he decided to watch the next contestants. "Coming, darling?" He asked Rhiannon over his shoulder.

Rhiannon let out a small chuckle. I would like a bath with you if I wasn't opposed to sharing baths with complete strangers. She mused to herself, her eyes wandering to the blood that splattered onto the wooden floor, watching it ooze through the cracks in the floor. Her mind drifted to a time when she had once been in a fighting ring and had accidentally killed a man. He had been mocking her, and took a swing, hitting her. He got very very smug and went in for another punch, perhaps to knock her out and take her someplace to violate her, but her anger sparked, and with it her magick. The only thing that was left of the man were cindered remains. She had only been fifteen at the time, and that memory weighed heavily on her. That hadn't been her first kill, but it had been the most gruesome.

She shook her head of such thoughts as her companion, Matteus, drew her attention back to the fighting ring where the champion was hollering for another opponent. He was covered in bruises, but his coin purse was heavy with his winning. They needed far more coin than what the man had given her to get enough provisions for the trip, and she decided to show Matteus that she wasn't someone to play with. She stood up, her hand going to her cloak. She threw it off, allowing it to land on the table. Her long, beautiful brown hair fell around her face, her curved body clad in leather, silver studded armour. She pushed past Matteus, giving him a very good look at her armour that nearly fit her like a second skin, then pushes her way past the sweaty men of the small arena, showing herself to everyone as she came to the middle. The man she was going against was a good foot taller than her, with scars, and long, silvery hair. He was very muscular, and intimidating.

"I have one-hundred-fifty Orens in my purse, I will fight against you if you can match that amount!" She called over the cat calls of the men around her.

"Hey there sweetheart, are you going to give us a show?"

"Yeah take off that armour!"

"Bend over and smile!"

She had the strangest feeling that Matteus was one of them before snarling at her opponent who was laughing at her, "How do you hope to beat me, little girl?" He mocked, standing just a few feet from her.

"There are no rules in this fight, correct?"

"That be correct, all except for no groin shots."

"Then I am fine."

The man shrugged and put a hand on his coin purse, "I be willing to fight ye, little girl," he barked before backing up, getting into a fight stance. Rhiannon's face split into a mischievous grin as she herself crouched into a defensive position. There was a spark in her eyes that was not there before, her hands tense at her side. The shirtless man let out a roar as he ran forward, his fists raised, ready for the punch. Rhiannon rolled out of the way, raising her hand yelling out a word, a large hand firing from her own and grabbing the man by his throat. He was completely immobilized. His hands kept clawing at the magically enhanced one, attempting to get it off as Rhiannon came to stand in front of him.

"For future reference, never accept a fight from a woman, it is impolite to hit women," she drew her hand back and slapped him across the face before backing away and releasing her magick. He fell to the ground, grabbing at her feet instantly. Her feet were yanked from under her and she was suddenly on her back with a big, muscled man on top of her.

"Ye be a bit o' a cheat, ain'tcha?" His breath was foul, sweeping into her nose and making her gag. Her hands were trapped under his meaty claws, and she couldn't move them very far. "You ain't gettin' away that easy you little," he didn't get a chance to say all he wanted to say before he suddenly got up, staring at the young woman with a misty eyed look.

"Sleep." Was all she said before he fell back, cracking his head on the wooden floor. She dusted herself off as she arose from the ground and cracked her neck, her eyes finding Matteus, smirking. She took her winnings, adding it to her own purse before walking out of the circle, all the men moving aside for her so that she wouldn't magick them asleep.

"What did you think?" She asked Matteus, throwing her coin purse up and down.

"Bend over and smile!" He could not restrain himself.

The confidence that this girl carried around like a brutish barbarian wearing the fur of some exotic animal was intoxicating. It was a part of her and it was real. Matteus had to admit, she was bloody good. He could tell from the second her cloak fluttered to the table, that she was going to walk out of the pit holding a bag of coins. She
smelt of confidence.

The fight did not last long, the man had gone in for a quick punch. Matteus braced himself, watching as the corded muscles flexed as the punch had neared her, certain that this punch would strike. But all the man received in return was humiliation. Her words of wit struck him, and he almost laughed until the man pulled her to the ground. It was in that instant that Matteus found himself gripping his twin axes and striding forward, yet held himself as the man promptly fell asleep. He didn't realise until this point he had been holding his breath. He sheepishly let go of his twin axes, cursing himself silently for trying to get involved.

She strode towards him with a fire in her eye that he had not seen before. The men in front of him parted ways, shrinking back as if she would then cast a spell on them. He grunted at them and shook his head. He knew for a moment that if he had gone against the man, he'd have struggled. Yet she shrugged it off as if it was absolutely nothing. And she was smirking at him.

She's pissing insane.

I like her.

He found her confidence like a very fine wine, alluring, tasted fantastic, but he knew if he had too much of it, he'd be hooked for life. His face lit up in a grin. "The hen was more challenging." He watched as she sauntered past him and looked at the man on the floor. Luckily, he did not seem to have cracked his head. But he had had his pride hurt. Matteus grimaced, a man like that would end up coming after them to get his revenge. You simply didn't humiliate a man like that in front of a crowd.

The smell of a hot supper wafted in from the kitchen as the burly innkeeper came striding through with two plates of hot steaming meat. Matteus excused himself to the table and thanking the innkeeper, sat down to fill himself. Some sort of meat, potatoes, carrots all in some sort of gravy. Taking out his knife, he speared a potato and waved it at Rhiannon as he pondered a question that had bothered him.

"You said earlier that you are some sort of mage." He pointed behind him at the slumbering man. "A talented one, that much is evident. What rare form of magik are you exactly training in and where are you from?" He stuffed a potato into his mouth, rolling his eyes in ecstasy at the flavour. It had been too long since he had a decent pissing meal. "Tis is shum god potayto" He mumbled as he ate.

Rhiannon smoothly sat across from Matteus and brought out a fork and knife. She quickly cut into a piece of meat and took a large bite, rolling her eyes and making a noise that could have been called sexual at the delicious taste. Her eyes opened and saw Matteus staring at her with an odd look. She rolled her eyes and smiled at him.

"The food is good, what can I say?" She said after her food was swallowed. She took another bite before answering his question. "The art should be unknown to you, and most in the inn, but I am training in the art of the Dragon Disciple. It is a long and arduous journey. The first thing that you must do as a dragon disciple is to drink a vial of dragon's blood, not all survive the process, but some do, and I was one of them," she brought her arm out, pulling back the sleeve and showing him the skin of a Red Dragon. It was gone in a flash, leaving pale, lightly freckled skin. "I have been training for five years now, and the last length of my training starts very soon," she let her gaze fall back to her food and began munching on it once again, her long hair falling in her face.

He did not feel that his eyebrows could rise any more than it already had in surprise, yet when Matteus glimpsed the red dragon skin, he was sure his eyebrows would become a permanent addition to his hairline. He closed his mouth and swallowed his food. prompting himself not to state. This young woman was something of an enigma. The very way she held herself told him she was not a high born noble nor a merchant but that she had grown up on the streets. She fought like a mercenary, spoke like a noble and held herself like a mage. A dangerous, dangerous combo.

This was not the first time Matteus wondered if had stumbled too deep into something he would struggle to get himself out of.
Wouldn't be the first time. I've always gotten out of it, how bad can this one be?

From across the room a man ascended a stage, his cloak a myriad of patches and colours and the case he carried was one of oaken wood. Matteus, stuffing another gravy covered potato into his mouth, turned around to survey the rest of the tavern. Ever since Rhiannon's show, the fighting pit had fallen quiet and most of its inhabitants had left. The big combatant had been dragged out by some of his friends and no one had wanted to approach their table. A pretty barkeep, her mop soaked in blood, was attempting to clean up the mess that had been dragged out of the pit onto the wood panelling that covered the rest of the tavern.

The man on the stage had been joined by others, locals by the look of it. A local band, come to play music for the tavern. There would be time yet for the bath, he decided to lean back and enjoy the music. He enjoyed a good jig now and then, but mostly he enjoyed just listening and enjoying the atmosphere of a tavern. He spotted a lute, two fiddles, a flute and a drum. The silence stretched through the tavern as the musicians tuned their instruments.

"So, what is someone like you doing taking small tasks like this?" He positioned his chair so that he still faced the table but had her on his right hand side, in conversational distance. "Does not seem like something someone with your talents would take part in."

At first, a delicate note hung through the air as the musicians tested their instruments and their synchronism with each other, then with a sudden motion, music filled the air. He couldn't help but let an honest smile of enjoyment spread across his face. It was a jolly tune, built for a jig in itself though easily played without lyrical accompaniment and he found himself clapping along with the tune. The other men of the tavern soon joined in and many were laughing and stamping their feet to the beat. The flute, delicately played, was joined with the two fiddles playing alongside the lute, weaving between parts like two lovers in an intricate jig.

The tune. taking him by the hand and leading back into memories past, reminded him of the times he had been a master thief, travelling the world in search of treasure and riches. Taverns had been his lifeline. They had been where he found his prey as well as his enjoyment. Back then, even he himself had been partial to playing the fiddle. They were pleasant memories, suited to lightening his mood.

Rhiannon did not answer him for a few minutes, wanting to eat more than anything else. The last thing she had eaten had been on the day before, and she had been dreadfully hungry. She wasn't a lady when she ate, choosing to take large bites. She thought for a moment, thinking of the best way to word her quest, then the music started playing. It had started off slow, beautiful, just the flute playing, then the rhythm began to speed up, everyone began to slap their hands and bang their feet, making the temp even faster, the flute player became more lively, she even began dancing on stage, showing talent as she danced and played her flute. Rhiannon simply watched for a few moments, enjoying the entire show that was going on on the stage. It was a few minutes before she brought her attention back to her companion. She stared at him for a moment as he was distracted.

"Not many would hire a mage, master Thief," she took a quick swig of the drink she had been given, letting out a growl as the aftertaste bit at her, feeling like fire searing her throat. She enjoyed the bite however and took another swig. "I am sure that you know that my kind is a dying breed, mostly because those who have the potential for the arte choose to not expand upon their talent for they are frightened that they will be judged for what they are," Rhiannon paused for a moment, her eyes seeing right through Matteus as her mind took her away to the past.

"I remember this one girl, she was talented, but her mother was one of those people that thought it was the work of the Devil in her. Her mother attacked her after she caught her practicing," her eyes focused back on Matteus, anger in her eyes. "The poor girl lost control of her power and destroyed her mother, and the house in which they lived. The girl died right after as the house came crumbling down around her." Rhiannon cleared her throat, angry at herself for loosing her temper and let a smile crawl back onto her face.

"Suffice it to say that my kind find it hard to find work, I was taking a huge risk helping you the way that I did in front of my potential client. He could very well have denied me a job for being a Mage, especially one who knows the ancient arte of a Dragon Disciple," she let out a sigh and continued munching on her food, greatly enjoying the taste. It was nearly done with and soon she would be heading off for the bath, hoping that her companion wouldn't get any wise ideas and attempt to sneak a peak at her.

Matteus couldn't help but laugh at Rhiannon as she shoved her face full of food, moaning in between bites. He was starting to enjoy her company, though he admonished, it could very well be the music. He turned his attention back towards the stage and let his mirth show as he cheered at the flute player as she danced along to the melody. He pushed away his plate, now with only a few morsels of food left on it and took a swig of ale. Watered down, heavily, though he could abide with the taste. He eye'd Rhiannon as she told him her tale and took a swig of her drink. Whatever it was made her let out a soft growl.

"Thank you for that, again." Matteus turned to Rhiannon and cocked an eyebrow "Though considering how you dealt with that man, I don't think the guards would have much of a chance."
The things this girl could do with that magik, especially when it comes to thieving. The music suddenly veered from one jig to another hearty tune and he felt his feet tapping to the music. With a wicked grin, he winked at Rhiannon and stood up, leaping onto the stage. He had recognised this song, it was a rhythm that deserved to be danced to. Nodding to the flautist who continued to dance, her eyes locked on him, he joined in with the dance. He heard laughter from the crowd as a few men got up and joined him and the music seemed to grow in intensity as the musicians enthusiasm increased.

He looked over at Rhiannon who was sitting down, looking at him. Let her have her magik, he'd have his music! He motioned for her to join him. The bath could wait!

Rhiannon watched Matteus, watching as he moved, his movements were slightly silly, but they fit the tune. He seemed to have no skill, yet have skill at the same time. It was rather confusing to her, but that was perhaps because she had never actually stayed and watched someone dance, and it interested her greatly. Never had she been asked to dance, never had she watched one, and never had she participated in one. The music filled her ears, filling her limbs with a tingling sensation, she wondered as to what type of sorcery it was, but she followed along. She rose from her seat, stepping onto the table then jumping to the ground, landing with grace. She took Matteus' hand, smiling with teeth now, looking fairly feline with her longer canines. They both began moving to the rhythm, their bodies moving in unison. They were the center of the dancers for they were the only ones with some skill. They danced and laughed in the middle of a circle of bodies, their boots clacking on the hardwood floors. Hands and feet joined in the beat, nearly creating a roar. The Inn was alive with music and joy.

She did not know what had come over here, but she was sure it was the drink that had gone to her head. She didn't know what she had drank, but she enjoyed it immensely. The song went on for longer than it should have, but the performers had gotten into just as much as the entire Inn did, and finally, with exhausted hands, they finally stopped playing. The crowd erupted in cheer at the performs and gold coins found their way upon the stage. Obviously the people of this town were more than happy to throw their coin at something that made them happy, even for a moment. Every single member of the music group was sweating and panting, picking up the gold coins, thanking everyone at the top of their lungs. Rhiannon herself had become a bit sweaty, and she wiped it from her brow, letting go of Matteus, clearing her throat.

"That was...fun," she said before turning away, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment that she had lost herself to some foolish music before disappearing into the bathing room, seeing only a thin sheet of fabric hiding herself from the other tub, but it would only show her silhouette, so she did not mind so much. She peeled herself out of her armour rather quickly and dipped herself into the large tub, sighing in relief as the hot water soaked into her muscles, soothing her to her very bones. She heard the clink and clatter as her partner entering the bathing area, ready to growl at him if he got too near her bath.

"You're a good dancer." Steam rose steadily in the room, making his vision slightly blur. He noticed the thin fabric that separated them and shrugged to himself. He wouldn't peek, though he knew he would not push her away if she did. He was proud of his body. His hand trailed along the water as he walked across to the chair by his tub, dumping his twin axes on them. He turned to look behind him and realised he had reached the edge of the fabric and saw the very edge of her leg, immersed in the water. He turned his back to her and undid his shirt, letting it drop onto the chair. His trousers soon followed and he lay himself into the tub of water, sighing. For a moment, he could enjoy the quiet of the moment and just laid there, listening to the soft soothing music drifting through the closed doors behind him.

The dull aches in his body slowly abated, becoming distant things as the warm water lapped against them softly. He grimaced as he shifted in the tub, water slightly spilling over the edges. He hummed along to haunting tune in the background as he observed his wounds. A purple bruise, a slight discolouration of his rib cage, a small cut along his fore arm and gash along his upper torso where the wooden frames had cut him as he fell. He'd clean them after, he decided and he'd be healed all enough for the morning.

His mind wandered to what the job held hidden for him, though he knew whatever the dangers they'd be able to overcome with Rhianna's magik. If they did well, he may even offer her to stick beside him and take jobs as a duo. He would have to wait and see, she may even be too dangerous to have around.

Rhiannon simply listened to him as he slipped his clothing off, seeing a flash of bare skin as he nearly came close to the edge. She wouldn't have hidden herself if he had looked, he simply would have thrown some magick at him to teach him a lesson. She closed her eyes, feeling the beat of the music in her veins. She had had a taste of the dance, she had wanted more, but she had been foolish to let herself slip into such a silly thing, especially with a man that seemed to be the kind to womanize women. She would not be one of his conquests, nor would she allow herself to fall under his spell. She would allow him to come on this job with her, test him, see if he was worthy of traveling with her, but if he fell short...she wouldn't give a second thought to leaving him once they came back.

As the minutes ticked by, Rhiannon grew restless. The water had become cooler. The heat was nearly gone, leaving her nearly shivering. She let out a sigh as she rose out of the tub, her curvy figure clearly seen by Matteus, most likely to his great satisfaction. She quickly grabbed the sleeping gown that had been placed by the tub, no doubt something that was there so that the person who required a bath didn't have to put dirty clothing back on. The fabric wasn't the most comfortable, but it would do. She was dreadfully thankful that there was a second staircase up from the room they were currently in so that she wouldn't have to show herself wearing the shapeless gown.

"Matteus, once you are done with your bathing, I only got us one room, but it has two beds," she quickly gathered up her armour and other arms and made her way to the stairs, allowing herself to just glance at the man, seeing toned, olive skin, but little else, "please refrain from getting in the wrong bed," there was a smirk and warning in her voice as she ascended the stairs, not looking in his direction again. She quickly found the room with the letter of her first name scrawled on a piece of vellum, along with Matteus's. She opened the door, peeking inside it to make sure that there was no one in it, then quickly closed the door behind her. She went to the bed and dropped her armour on the floor. She took her pack from the pile and took out her armour cleaning kit and set about washing it. Before too long she heard the sound of someone walking close to her room door, automatically thinking that it was Matteus. She continued cleaning her armour, not bothering to look up.

"'Ello, love," a man spoke, a man that wasn't Matteus. A shiver crawled up Rhiannon's spine as she slowly looked up, seeing the man that she had humiliated standing there. The door shut behind him, and he smiled at her, a bruise on his face. "Ye be a tricky little thing, and I be thinking that ye need to be taught a lesson," his grin grew wider, showing some missing teeth. He wasn't unattractive, but Rhiannon wanted no part in what he had in mind, judging by the bulge in his cloth pants.

He charged forward, more quickly than before. She almost hadn't had enough time to erect a protective shield around herself, keeping her from harm. The man slammed into it and bounced back, hitting the ground with a loud oof. Rhiannon quickly got up, her spell fizzling. She was tired, and her magick reserves were depleted by the days activities. Before she had come to the Inn she had dealt with cutthroats, cutpurses, and a rabid dog that had bit her. She had cursed herself for allowing herself to be bitten by a mutt.

The man was back on his feet very quickly, and this time, Rhiannon didn't have a spell to help her. He grabbed her by the throat, his crotch too far away from her for her to kick. His nasty breath was in her face, and he chuckled, his other hand grabbing one of her globes, squeezing, malicious intent in his touch.

"You are going to be a good girl and let me do what I want, and I may let you live," he whispered into her ear, her spine crawling. She clawed at his arm, but he appeared to like pain, his smirk widening as his hand began to roam other places.

((Cue Matteus for a rescue.))

Matteus leant back in the tub and rested his head, breathing heavily. He grunted a response as Rhiannon left the bath, he could clearly see her figure through the fabric and he let a smile slip onto his face. He could hear Rhiannons' footsteps slowly make their way up the stairs, creaking across the floorboards to a room above him. He heard the door open and close. Paper thin walls, he surmised. An image flashed into his mind, images that would create sounds that would cut through the walls and he couldn't help but grin. He was in the midst of thinking of trying his luck before he heard the door to their room open. That's odd. I don't hear her footsteps coming away from the door.

The lack of movement worried him. He stepped out of the bath, grabbing the bath robe and tying the lower part around his hips, leaving his arms free. He smelt trouble and he had a sense for trouble. Grabbing his twin axes, still in their leather sheathe, he opened the door and walked up the stairs towards the door. He could hear shuffling through the door and hesitated for a split second as he heard a grunt on the other side. What if she was busy on the other side? He threw caution to the wind and slammed the door open.

Ahead of him, the pit fighter from earlier had Rhiannon up against the wall, using one hand to exploit the fact she had only a bath robe on and another to hold her in place. He stopped to look at the door, meeting Matteus' eyes.

"This here be a private meeting." He pointed a finger at Matteus menacingly. "I'd suggest you leave 'fore you find yourself in over your head." He eye'd the mans' build and noticed a dirk strapped to his side. He kept his face neutral.

"That there, is my partner." He observed the room out of the corner of his eyes, taking in the detail. There seemed to be only one man, yet the room was small, cramped. Over-hand swings would not work. He'd have to improvise. He did not wish to kill the man, only injure him and knock him out. A bloodbath would only bring the guards on their head. "Your pride may have been injured before but I would strongly recommend you leave it at that before anything else gets injured." He slung the leather straps of his axes around his wrists before reversing the position of the shaft so the head of the axe was held downwards, the butt of the shaft sticking out towards the pit fighter. He left the padded sheathe on the weapon, causing the hits to bluntly bruise instead of cut or hack.

The fighter laughed a deep throaty laugh. "I'm gonna stick ya and let your partner watch you bleed out as I entertain myself." He smiled and grabbed his dirk into his hand, its blade long and straight. He wrapped his hand around, blade facing out and from his pocket he took out a folding knife, and held it in a reversed grip, much like Matteus' stance. Both men looked at each other, waiting for a move. The pit fighter, running out of patience, shuffled forward his dirk thrusting like a spear head towards Matteus' stomach. Matteus slid into his reach and hooked the dirk with the underside of his axe, knowing that by stepping into the mans' reach, he had avoided the incoming slash from his folding knife. Using his other axe, he delivered the shaft butt into the fighters ribs, causing him to stumble backwards. It was now, he felt a grin spread across his face. The pit fighter responded with another lunge which Matteus simply side step and lashed out with his foot, striking his chest.

Even while injured and despite the fighters sheer size, Matteus was faster and more experienced in knife fights. By watching his swift fluid movements, you could tell every move of his was calculated. They continued to lunge back and forth with each other, Matteus coming away from each trade the victor. Though Matteus had cuts and nicks across his chest and arms, the fighter was favouring his left leg where a nasty gash bled. The sheathe of one of the axes had been flung off during a clash and Matteus had spun on his feet, crouching as he came around and slashed at the fighters leg. He could feel his bruises flaring back to life and he knew that despite his speed, he would soon tire and lose each trade. The man did not look like the merciful type.

Uncertainty flashed across the pit fighters face and Matteus used this to his advantage, grabbing a pitcher of water from the small table beside him and flinging the water into his face. Flinching from the unsuspecting tactic, he was not ready for the chair that followed. It crashed into his sternum and he fell to the floor, dazed. Lifting himself on one leg, a final kick to the face knocked the man clean out, his eyes rolling in the back of his head. Matteus walked beside the man and kicked away both weapons, stepping back taking a look at himself. Blood ran down his chest and arms and a rather nasty large bruise stood out on his chest, claiming territory from the bruise that had already been there. He turned to Rhiannon, deeming it was not the right time to take peak and averted his eyes form her body. Instead he looked to her eyes.

"Are you all right?"

Rhiannon had fallen to the ground when the man had let her go, coughing and spluttering for air. Never had she felt so helpless as she had there. Her robe had fallen open when she fell, and she didn't bother readjusting it. Her hair had come loose of its bun and hung around her face, hiding her fear ridden face. She was a rather strong woman, but what had just occurred was one of her strongest fears. The fear of being raped, and not being able to do a damn thing about it. Her shoulders shook very slightly as she held in tears that she desperately didn't want to shed. She didn't want to show weakness to a man that she had just met. As the battle raged on, she stayed where she was, not looking up, knowing that Matteus would win. She simply took the time to calm herself. By the time she heard the loud sound of a body slamming into the hard wood floor she had herself under control and slowly began to to readjust her robe, covering her curvaceous form. She let out a sigh, looking up to see that Matteus was injured.

She quickly rose from her place on the ground, smiling a bit.

"I am supposing the chicken was a bit tougher than that?" She laughed a little, trying to hide the fact that she had been close to tears not a minute ago. She quickly went to her pack and brought out some bandages and a herbal ointment that was good for wounds. She ignored the bleeding man on the ground and immediately began swiping some ointment onto her friend's wounds, not warning him that it would sting rather badly first, hearing him cuss under his breath.

"I'm okay," she whispered to him as she set about fixing his wounds, knowing that the man on the floor wasn't going to get up for a while yet.

Matteus let out a hiss as the ointment touched his wound, sending a flare of pain across his torso. "Be gentle." He shuffled himself to the edge of the bed and lowered himself down softly onto the mattress, wincing as it caused his wounds to shift. His body had taken a battering and they had yet to take a step towards their mission. He would have to be careful. He grunted at her question, a soft laughter racking through his chest. "The hen had sharper claws."

He looked at the man laying crumpled on the floor. They would need to get rid of him without any guards attention being brought upon them. That put the innkeeper out of the question. What a bother. He watched Rhiannon's face as she finished applying the ointment to his wounds, searching her eyes. He remembered those eyes wide with fear as the man had held her towards the wall. Standing up, he reached into his backpack and pulled out his clothing and a long spool of rope. Placing the rope on the bed, he dressed himself quickly before leaning beside the unconscious pit fighter and got to work.

----------------------------------------------

Stepping back inside the room, Matteus brushed his hands together as he looked at Rhiannon and grinned his deep grin. "That'll keep him hidden for a while, though we should head off at sunrise as to not test our luck."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back