Black Market Witch
Al classes will be held in this thread.

Classes:

• Veris 4th - Magic Theory - Introduction to Mana, and Conduits

Last edited by a moderator:

Veris 4th

Magic Theory and Practice

9:00 am

"Even after centuries of research, magic still remains an enigma to us." At the front of the lecture hall, stood a tall, tanned man, Mr. Hunt. Pacing back and forth along the length of the stage as he addressed the class of 1 stars. Or, at least, the ones still paying attention. From his spot up front, he could easily spot at least 8 students asleep and a large number of others just not paying attention. "What we do know is that magic is the act of utilizing mana, the energy produced by all living things, to perform one of six tasks. Move, change, know, deceive, catalyze and deny. And those tasks form the six branches of magic, blah, blah, blah."

Staring at many of the blank faces, Mr. Hunt sighed before reclining against his desk. "Fine. I get it. This is pretty much common knowledge, even among non-magic users. But it's my job to make sure you guys understand this stuff before we can move on, on the off chance, you don't know. I can't let you blow yourself up because you couldn't even master the basics."

"So let's start with a quick quiz then. What is the greatest limitation mages have when wanting to use magic?"

~~~~~

Cloude's eyes sparkled as the teacher spoke. It was the Charles Hunt. Deadeye! Cloude was actually learning from an actual warlock. This was just too exciting for him. Would they get to hear about his adventures as a bounty hunter? Maybe they'd get to see a demonstration from him? 

When Mr. Hunt asked the class a question, it didn't seem like most were paying attention. Well, he assumed so. Cloude included. He didn't hear the question exactly but judging by the expecting face on the man's face, it must've been an easy one. 

As Cloude looked down at his books, embarrassed for not paying attention in class, it was the silver haired girl next to him that answered. 
"Mana. Humans only produced so much of it, while spells, especially the higher tiered ones require much more."

"Good job, Miss Cantus. That's right. Unfortunately, magic requires more mana that we can produce by ourselves. In the past, mages were limited to only a few spells for days, even weeks. But we've grown since then and have figured out a way to get around that limitation. Can anyone tell me how we're able to cast magic more frequently today?"

Cloude peered over to the girl. "Wow. You sure know a lot," he whispered, even though such a fact was common knowledge. Still, he read that complimenting people was a good way to make friends. He had already made 2 yesterday but his goal was 100 by the year's end. 

The girl cast him a quick glance. Green gold eyes he noticed. Much like a cat's. She brought her finger up to her mouth and smiled sweetly at him, causing him to do so as well. "I'm sorry but we really should be paying attention to the lecture," she said, before turning her attention back to the front. 

Cloude's smile fell as his head snapped to the front. She had seemed perfectly nice, but for some reason, he felt a little scared. Like he'd better do as she said or else.

[SIZE= 10px]Rush [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10px]Location: Sad classroom[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10px]Who: Whomever really[/SIZE]

Rush just so happened to be one of the eight sleeping students in the room. It wasn't ordinary sleep however, it was more like he peassed out from sheer bordom alone. I mean, its not his fault that the man giving the lecture was as uninteresting as the stuff he was talking about. At this point in his life though, he was a very light sleeper. Everytime some one started speaking, he couldn't help but be stirred from his slumber only to  fall right back to sleep when he was sure he was in no danger.

It was at this point when questions were starting to be thrown around and Rush could honestly care less. He was starting to get a headache, and he just wanted to leave. Its not like he could just get up and walk out though, he was sure that Mr. Teacherman or whoever he was wouldn't like that in the slightest. Still, he had to think of something before he got called on or something stupid like that.

Cloude
With: Maria and Rush

Wah! Noticing Rush sleeping to his left, Cloude struggled with whether or not he should wak ehim. Sleeping in class was no good. No good at all. "Rush," he whispered, poking the boy as discretely as he could. "You have to wake up. What if this is on the test." 

~~~~~

Meanwhile, Mr. Hunt remained at the front scanning the crowd for raised hands that weren't showing up. "Seriously? Come on guys. The answer is right in your textbooks. You know, that to qualify for magic dueling, you need approval from me saying you know the basics of theory, right? So until someone can answer my questions, there will only be more classes like this. Now who can tell me what mages use to compensate for their limited mana supply?"

He waited a little while more until someone in the back of the class raised their hand. Conduits, he said.

"Correct," the man said before taking out a rather large revolver from one of two holsters at his waist. From the handle, he pulled out a sizeable crystal, holding it up for everyone to see. "Conduits, or rather these conduit crystals, absorb and store mana from its surroundings. Then when mages need it, they use the mana within these gems to cast magic. You need to be careful to watch your conduits though. It's not an inexhaustible source. Like humans, they can only absorb so much at a time. So you need to check for the light."

"Look here. See how it seems to glow? That means it's full of mana. When a mage uses up more mana than the crystal can absorb, then the light will get dimmer. Conduit crystals that are dull and dark are out of mana. Everyone check your conduits now. Get a good idea of how much light it produces. Burn its image in your mind. On the battlefield, you'll need to be able to tell even the slightest difference in your crystals to be able to gauge your options at the moment."

More sleepy faces. Seriously? It was almost 10 in the morning.

"That'll be all for class today. But next time I want you all to kee up with your reading. This may seem like pointless info to all of you, but you need to know this stuff inside and out. A large majority of 1 star deaths are due to pointless mistakes that could've been avoided if they kept the basics in mind. I've seen more of my classmates die from not checking their mana levels than anything I've seen as a warlock. "

"An idiot who chose to pick a fight with a manticore without his conduits, head too big by the fact that he could even use magic. We lost 2 others that same day trying to cover his ass when he ran out of mana. So I'm not letting you guys anywhere near a fight until I'm sure you're ready for it. Class dismissed."

~~~~~

Cloude
With: Rush

Once class was dismissed, Cloude reutrned his attention to Rush, poking him to make sure he was awake. "What are we going to do now?" he asked, staring at the redhead with wide expecting eyes. Now that he had a friend, he could go hang out with said friend. What were they going to do? Go shopping? Do each other's nails? Talk about cute boys? Wait, something was wrong with this list. 

"Uh . . . Do you need help with your stuff?" Cloude had already begun gathering any things on Rush's desk in a neat pile. People liked when you were helpful, right?
Out of the corner of his eye though, he could see the girl from before standing up and walking toward the front of the class where the doors were. He wanted to call out to her, maybe make a new friend, but it seemed that Mr. Hunt had beat him to it. 

"A little old for pigtails, don't you think?" the man asked with a chuckle. 

The girl only laughed it off. "I don't know what you're talking about, professor. People say I look cute like this." A quick turn on her heels and she was already halfway out the door.

Cloude knew eavesdropping was bad, but he couldn't really help it, could he? He wondered if they knew each other. Mr. Hunt seemed to be acting familiar with her but she was rather distant. It was probably nothing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back