Other Christmas Holidays

Dugym

One Thousand Club
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm aware of a short list of religious winter celebrations - Christmas, Hannukah, Yule and the Winter Solstice, Saturnalia, and Pancha Ganapati.  I don't know if anyone still practices Mother's Night.

Siddhartha Gautama is believed to have achieved enlightenment on the 8th of December, but I've only real heard of some minor observances outside of Buddhist monasteries.

I don't really celebrate Christmas, but I visit my family who engage in a kind of... secular Christmas, I suppose?  There's a tree and a gift exchange, but no religious iconography or observances.

Does watching Die Hard every year count?

I don't celebrate it - More so I don't really care.

It's a tradition that I grew up with but don't follow and how I 'celebrate' it depends on my availability. If I have friends and loved ones, we go to Christmas parties at bars or restaurants to drink, eat and have a good time. If it's just me, I go watch a good Christmas movie in the comfort of my bed or couch. In other years I don't celebrate it at all and take the day for granted.

I don't celebrate "Christmas" really. I'm too much of an atheist. My birthday is in December, so I focus more on celebrating my birthday rather than the birthday of a Jewish man born two thousand years ago. However, I have watched Nativity starring Martin Freeman every single year since it came out. 

My family and I used to do the standard Christmas shebang: dinner, presents, decorations, etc etc. But the last couple years we've been saving the money and instead take a short trip to Costa Rica, since we have friends who own a condo there (We'll see if it happens again this year). Much less stressful than worrying about getting gifts and such ^.^. We still do a turkey dinner before we go though, and while we did indeed once watch 'Die Hard' one year, 'Home Alone' and 'The Sound of Music' are usually the movies of choice for us ;p.

in serbia (main religion being serb orthodox), we have the usual christmas of gift exchange, then something we call a slava, a tradition of the ritual glorification of our family patron saint (my family's is just after new year, so it's basically a second christmas)

during the slava, we break bread called česnica and slavski kolač ('ko-latch') which is important for the celebration of the slava, but do this at christmas too

thing about slava is that in some families - it can be done twice a year, iv heard montenegrin orthodox do this, so yr basically having 3 christmases lol

we also play chess on the croatian flag

there's a saying,

"gde je slava, tu je srbin" (where there is a slava, there is a serb) wow what a great fuckin' proverb.

anyway,

interesting to see how u guys celebrate (or don't) christmas )

but ill leave you all w/ this regardless ))))

imaju veliki nedeljno, moji prijatelji ~<3

(have a safe week my friends <3)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back