• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Completed Chapter III: Scales of Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf Rawrrr

Wolf-Knight
Supporter
bvexLXp.jpg

Chapter III: Scales of Justice

"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

- George R.R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire)​

General Shadowleaf returned to Alicante by evening the same day of the incident at Aboran. By the time she reached the palace it was already late, so audience with her mistress took place in the Sorceress' private quarters. She found Ilhirel outside on the balcony, leaning against the marble railing. The sun had already set but the eastern horizon was still somewhat bright, fading to a dark blue. The she-elf was just finishing explaining what happened at the Great Library.

"My men chased them all the way to the docks, where they got on a ship and sailed off." Her usual determined tone of voice was marred by uncertainty and fear. Ilhirel was not used to failure.

"And?" the Sorceress said, still staring idly across the city.

"And we... I... didn't react quickly enough." Niara's voice wavered. "I lost them."

"You lost them." Ilhirel repeated without turning around.

"F-Forgive me, Mistress. There is... There is no excuse for my incompetence. It's my fault. I s-should have anticipated what might happen, been more prepared, done more to..."

"Silence." Ilhirel turned to face the she-elf, who looked more like a chastised scullery maid than a general. "You should have done more, yes. Should have, could have, would have. It's too late now, isn't it? I am disappointed with you, Niara."

Disappointed. That one word struck Niara like a physical blow. "I'm s-sorry." she stammered, looking down at the ground. "Give me a second chance, please, I will fix my mistake..."

"Look at me. Don't you dare look away."
Ilhirel said, walking up to her with the aura of a predatory animal. "Of course you will fix your mistake. You will hunt down these thieves and bring them to me. But first, you will be punished for your failure."

Niara was just as afraid of Ilhirel as she was captivated by her, right down to the core of her being. As soon as she was commanded to look at her, it became impossible to take her eyes anywhere else. Her flawless beauty, her deadly grace, her inner power. Everything about her was fascinating, addicting. It was like being under a spell. As if she were bewitched. But if you asked Niara, she was in love.

Clearly pleased with the effect she had on the she-elf, the Sorceress continued. "You need to be disciplined, Niara. You understand this, don't you?"

Breathless, Niara whispered: "I need to be disciplined."

"You want to be disciplined. You know how good that is for you. How it makes you better."

"I... Want to be disciplined." Niara agreed, swallowing hard. She could feel her fingers and toes clench involuntarily, hungry to serve her Mistress. To do at least something right, anything, just to make her satisfied. "Please," she begged in a shamefully whiny voice, "Discipline me."

"Oh, yes." said Ilhirel, producing a black leather collar from somewhere. "I will."

Last edited:
The port town of Ridge, September 24th
---------------------------------------------------------

It was late afternoon on the following day since they sailed from Aboran. The journey lasted for over a day, but it got them across the Shallow Sea. Conditions at sea were in their favor, and their fear of being intercepted by an enemy military vessel remained luckily unrealized. They made good progress, but even beyond the sea there was a fair distance to the deserts of Daskárd. The brigantine dropped anchor in the farthest place available - Ridge.

Ridge was an old town of decent size, bigger than Aboran but still not exactly a large city. It was the most eastern port in the Shallow Sea, and while once an important strategic location, it didn't see as much traffic nowadays. Not that the town lacked activity, as the fellowship was about to find out.

They all began gathering as the ship entered the port, and by the time they were anchored everyone was on their feet. The port looked old just like the rest of the city. It wasn't particularly busy in the late afternoon, contrary to expectations. One could see the lord's fortress looming over beyond the outer walls, darker and darker shapes against the fading orange sky. It was here that Violet would depart from the company of her men and join the Chosen to travel with Dina, only sending word back to the Resistance.

But there was more to Ridge than met the eyes, at least nowadays.

Last edited:
Violet Robbins

Violet had been giving the last of her orders to the crew. They were to report the result of the mission in Aboran, as well as the existence of Violet's new self-appointed mission. After handing the one man a sealed envelope, she returned to the Chosen, who were standing together on the deck. Addressing them, she said "Well, that takes of the boat and my report. Now, before we head out, I'd like to get a little more information as to who you," indicating the men of the group "all are. Dina was able to tell me a little, but I'd like to know more. But first, let me more formally introduce myself. I am Violet Robbins, second-in-command of the Resistance." She finished her statement with a very short bow to the men, for the sake of manners.

Dina Ailsa

Well there isn't a lot more to know. The impatient dwarf, quite useful in battle, the future king of his nation. The brute and a bit scary Drakkar, excellent in restraining the enemy. Kept to himself elf. The careful, graceful, gentleman elf good for finding traps and making you feel like a lady. And an eccentric scholar, where magic is needed, he's the man for it. Dina thought, looking at each of her companions in turn after Violet had her introduction. She gave a small sigh, turning to face the town in which thy arrived. She did have an intention to listen to their conversation thought, there might be something more she should add to her personal records of the Chosen. The town was old and had that quality of the sea one. Dina could imagine the town's people rising early and departing from the port in their fishing boats. Seagulls raising their voices to meet them. The thought came to mind. Can I sense sea plants like I sense the land ones? Only one way to find out. She closed her eyes, thought of the sea bed, seaweed, the way it moved in water, corals... Can you feel my call?

Henvei Relkor vech Daltzen

The sound of a bright new sun splitting the clouds of a vicious blizzard is a sound unlike any other, and a sound heard by few. It was, nevertheless, the sound currently hissing out of the scholar's mouth (between ragged breaths and nasty spits). The curious noise came out as muffled, as Henvei had still not removed himself from the side of the ship, where he lay splayed out over the side of the ship, the docking process having given him even more trouble than he could have ever dared fear. But now, the ship was tied. Safe, in harbor, ported. Time to relearn the mysteries of life on land.

Wiping salve from the side of his mouth, the scholar managed to pull himself up long enough to snort contemptuously. "I should...hah, think we would be the ones to pose such a querr...question.." Hand over hand, he began to pull himself towards the egress ramp, still breathing heavily, balancing grabbing the deck for support with keeping a cautious hand over his scholarly pack. Even in this state he would not dare risk any of his books to water, particularly his two newest acquisitions.

"Last I remembered...and last all records would suggest...The 'resistance' had no particular leader, nor a organization to speak of. A rag-tag group of...independent cells, in harmony by chance alone, and held fast and firm by foolhardy desperation. *Gasp* It will take more qualification than such to prove your intent and your purpose. Of highest interest, your convenient appearance when our party needed it most, and your mysterious-" here, a half-contained gag as the smell of dock water hit the scholar's nose "-...ugh...mysterious relation to our most...ah, to one of our own." The scholar, almost off the boat, finally managed to raise his head enough to cast his hunter's eyes at Violet. "Else...I see no way to tell for whom this ship truly sailed." The scholar emphasized the world 'sail' with a harsh bite, aided in part by another round of violent lurching and gagging.

Eltheron Delioss

Eltheron watched as the strange human half walked, half crawled off the ship. He shook his head slightly, The sea just doesn't agree with some people...

Turning his attention back to violet he gave his own slight bow; his father always taught him to be courteous. "I am Eltheron Delioss, before the fall I - like my father, and his father before him - was a member of the Assassin's guild, servants to the Kings of Asgard for as long as they have ruled. Since the fall of Asgard, I've been a blade-for-hire... mostly against Ilhirel and her ilk." He pauses for a moment, "I've fought with resistance cells in the past..." A look of distaste crosses his face and he gives Robin a once over, "at least men who claimed to be Resistance. They were a disgraceful lot. I hope you're not of their like." The last words carried a sharp edge to them, clearly not at ease with the memory, he then gives another little nod and turns to follow Henvei down the ramp.

Eltheron was inclined to agree with the wizard, the appearance of Violet to save the day was incredibly convenient, but who knows, maybe they were just having some luck rained down on them. The Gods knew they could use some on this journey. "Come along Henvei, let's see if we can find you a nice greasy steak to settle that sea-stomach." he says, patting the man on the back as he passes him at the base of the ramp

Violet Robbins

Just barely able to resist the urge the give the holier-than-thou scholar a black eye the size of his ego. Instead, she took a calming breath and thought 'Keep you cool Violet. He's just a pompous scholar who thinks his brains make him better than everyone else.'

With a small sigh, Violet absentmindedly muttered "And here I thought we could all be civil." Running a hair through her hair, she starting after the two, calling back to the other "I guess we can finish the rest of the introductions when we find an inn. C'mon Dina..." and, remembering, "...and friends."

Dina Ailsa

"But..." Oh, well. I guess I'll talk to you later, my sea friends. Dina shrugged and went to join the trio. Her stomach cried out for food, Dina haven't eaten much these days. Looks like I'll join those two if they'll have me. Food...

Laurolf Fangür

Laurolf, silently observed the others' introductions from underneath his hood, whilst lighting up his pipe. "Me and me, bloody ideas.." He thought, only paying half-attention to the others, ""We ought' to be commandeerin' a ship!".. Wha' in me father's name made me think 'at was a good idea?" He shook his head, feeling sick to his stomach. Somehow he'd managed to survive the short trip over the sea, without showing his seasickness to the others- But he was a Dwarf. A man of ground, caves and tunnels, some Dwarves got sick just by breathing the "fresh" air of the outside, as they'd grown to the thick air of Dwarven mines, filled with the smell of forges, ale, pipe and dust - It was just unnatural for a Dwarf to be sailing the seas, unnatural!

Laurolf was suddenly snapped out of the world of thoughts, by the mentioning of steak. He blew out some smoke, as the others were preparing to head into town, "Eltheron, lad, ye' be probably the only elfkind, worth likin'!" He said, chuckling, "I for one, could go for a steak 'e bloody size of a horse, 'rite about now. And if I were to be hazardin' a guess, the lot of us could use a little.. Refreshment, hm!" Blowing out some more smoke, as the group started moving, Laurolf briefly walked next to Violet. "A resistance type, eh?" He said, sneering, but continued without waiting for a response, "Ye' can be callin' me Laurolf, I'm from Knalga an' that's about all I care to be tellin' about meself.. However.." Laurolf paused briefly, to enjoy his pipe, he then glanced at the woman from underneath his hood, with a rather serious look in his eyes, "If ye' ain't mindin', once we be somewhere quieter, I'd like to be askin' ye' somethin'.."

Eltheron Delioss

Eltheron let out a laugh at the Dwarf's remark, "You're too kind master Dwarf, I must be agreeing with you about those refreshments too, all this business of late has built me up a mighty thirst." As Eltheron neared the edge of the dock he pulled his cloak around him, he looked around curious if any of the Witch's minions were stationed here as well.

Violet Robbins

"Of course Laurolf, I'd be glad to talk." Violet said back to the dwarf, instinctively lowering her voice slightly. As the group continued to walk, the question sparked a curiosity in the elven woman's brain. What would the dwarf want to know that she could supply the answer to. Whatever it was, she would be happy to oblige if she was able. Plenty of information passed through the resistance, be it by written reports or by whispered words.

Dina Ailsa

As they walked Dina had taken her most natural position: the rear. She felt comfortable that way, let the others lead when you don't know where you're going. You're the one that should take the lead though, try little by little... Just not today. She thought to herself while taking in her surroundings. She realized that she wouldn't mind living here, and also that she shouldn't let herself relax like this. It's crucial that I stay alive. She tensed up. But I do have Vi with me now. Dina remembered, relaxing once again. The fact that Violet was there just when she needed her, at the dock, on a ship they had chosen for their escape did strike Dina as odd. She was so happy to see her old friend that she didn't question it at all at the time, but now when her comrades pointed it out... Food first, questions later. Decided the black haired girl, her new blue dress fitting closely to her body. Those army boots Violet gave her spoiled the adequate young lady effect, though.

Setting off to town was probably the smartest thing they could do, especially if you asked Henvei. No one would be more glad to leave the sea behind than him. Mustn't forget the dwarf though. In any case, the Sunrise's crew remained on the ship to rest before they follow Violet's orders and set sail once again.

The fellowship had dropped anchor on the docks just outside the main harbor. Best not to attract unnecessary attention. This meant that they were in the East Quarter. The more... industrial in comparison to the West Quarter which was more residential. Of course, one could find shops and crafts on either sides of the river Sava which split Ridge in half. As they ventured further inland, so to speak, Xenthriss grumbled something about keeping a low profile and minding his own business, then slipped away under the cowl of his heavy cloak. Moments later he was out of sight, leaving Meric to shrug at the others.

The first left turn took them straight towards the quarter's center, which was a good way to be heading if they wanted food and information. They noticed one thing soon, and that was how heavy the presence of the City Watch was. The company could hear the square before they could see it - crowds of people involving merchants, buyers, gossipers, guards. Meric raised his voice.

"This is the farthest from home that I've ever been." he said. "Visited here once, briefly. Just the East Quarter. That's Justice Square up ahead." he pointed somewhere at three o'clock. "They hold tribunal judgement there sometimes, as well as... Well, executions. But I suppose Execution Square wouldn't be too popular of a name." He grinned, but it was a grim note. "Anyway, there's this great place to eat if I recall correctly. Perhaps we should check it out."

There was just a hundred meters to the side street on the right that opened into the square. Masses of people passed in and out of it; humans, elves and dwarves as well as an occasional drakkar. Could make you wonder where Xenthriss had gotten off to. The buildings on both sides were of wood and stone, bathed in that orange afternoon color with the red rooftops seeming even redder under the falling sun.

Violet Robbins

Food sounded like a good idea to Violet. Despite traveling often and ending up in number of different cities, she rarely had the luxury of being able to stop and have a decent meal. Most often, she lived off military style rations, which were made to last, not to excite the palette. She had expected this mission to be different than what she was used to, but this was a surprise that she could not have anticipated. Added to the fact that she was traveling with a friend who was very dear to her heart, Violet couldn't help but form a small, almost secret smile.

Turning to the aforementioned friend, she asked "What do you think Dina? I for one wouldn't mind a nice warm meal after our trip at sea. Also, I'd be to eat something that actually tastes like food; which my usual rations do not."

Henvei Relkor vech Daltzen

Tsch. Of course it was food. ]What the rest of them were discussing, that is. The scholar doubted his ability to even smell food without a gastric repetition of the events at sea - and with his Folk's nose, already he could smell the unmistakeable sniff of meat.

Perhaps the Drakkar had the proper idea. For one, the party was most likely off to some crowded tavern or messy eating house. They would be fed, yes, but at what expense? The noise, the crowds, the stench of everything unpleasant - normally the scholar would have been all up for bring his class to an otherwise unsophisticated place, but in his current state, there was little to be gained. His mind drifted to the idea of simply heading to market and buying a raw cut, and eating his meat as the Folk were accustomed to: with tooth and claw.

The scholar glanced at his hands, his nails having indeed grown to sharp, deadly claws over the course of his travels. How unsightly. Unthinkable that he should be prancing about looking like an animal. Unthinkable, further, that he had planned to enter the Academy looking as such! Well...the scholar smiled to himself, thinking of the ruckus he would make if he were to descend upon that place, in ragged form and of savage temperament. It was said back home, after all, that the Academy in this town was one of the few places in the human lands that a Folk could get the proper respect he deserved. Those who had journeyed out here, to bless the bookshelves with little tidbits of scholarly pursuit, reported that the bright minds here served only the finest awe and respect, aged for years in the fine oak barrels of superstitious fear and wonder.

It would be a spectacle, no doubt: only confirming some of the fears and legends the scholar had heard talk of. Hehehe....perhaps grooming could wait, then. Just to see what would happen.

The scholar's thoughts were interrupted by another wave of queasiness. Ugh. Little time, little decision. Choose fast, scholar. "And where is it, then, that we would take ourselves?" he asked, cross, to everybody at present.

Dina Ailsa

"I'm starving! And I do hope for something tasty just about as much as you do." Dina smiled at her friend. Justice Square you say? "I wonder if there's always so many people here." Maybe there is a tribunal or an execution in holding today. Oh well, food first. Dina's stomach sang again. She couldn't wait to check out the place Meric mentioned. And once she's seated maybe she could try to fix the first impression she gave when she made that run for the blueberries. She was so anxious to move back then, to beat Ilhirel in her run for information. Dina smiled contently. A small victory for us. Hopefully not the last one. Dina walked one foot before the other, her back straight, her hair flowing down her back in a black stream. Having had taken a bath, Dina felt presentable once again, and one could see it from her posture. She glanced towards Eltheron shortly, almost as if she considered it a guilty pleasure.

Soon afterwards all of them, with the exception of the drakkar, emerged onto Justice Square. Meric was leading.

There were a lot of people around, though again not as much as you'd expect. The real traffic must be taking place on the west side of town, plus it was getting late. What little market stalls they could see were closed already, but workshops around the square seemed to still be open. And so were the restaurants. They could see a few, none overly crowded. Meric took them towards the farthest one, off in the opposite corner of the place.

Passing by the middle of the square they could see soldiers and workers setting up some kind of a scene. It was near completed and bearing royal banners of the tribunal, so they could tell it was a tribunal setup. Several tables for the judges, defense and prosecution, some chairs. And also an execution stone. Meric commented: "They must be pretty certain about the trial's result to be already preparing the execution as well."

Folks were gathering in small groups at a safe distance from the center, doubtless gossiping about the upcoming trial. No one's face seemed happy or sad. They were just plain worried. Serious-looking.

"Come on. You'll love the Ruffled Feathers." Meric said with a grin. He pointed at the restaurant up ahead with the name painted in worn, white letters above the entrance, big enough to be seen from the center of the square.

Dina Ailsa

Well, not today. Soon. Dina thought, she was a bit curious but never really interested in that sort of things. It was none of her business after all. "I bet I will." she smiled at Meric and quickened her pace a little. Dina never liked open, public places like squares. They made her fell vulnerable and very small. "Come on, Vi." she encouraged the girl to keep up with her.

Violet Robbins

Violet had stopped to watch the men as they set up the trial. This wasn't the first time she had seen such a sight. The whole thing was actually painfully familiar. Too many time had seen her own men wrongfully tried and executed by the servants of the witch. It was just one way that Ilhirel had pried her hateful fingers into the system that had once protected the people of Asgard.

Violet stood there until Dina's call woke her from her thoughts. Turning to face where the girl was, she called back "Coming." Looking back, she gave one last melancholy glance at the scene, suppressing the feeling that were trying to well up. With a shake, she jogged up to the others, wiping away a tear before it could be seen.

Soon enough the company entered the Ruffled Feathers restaurant. Place was half empty, or half full if you like, with a dozen medium sized tables and a few smaller ones. It was already half dark here with the Sun setting outside, but the big room was lit by simple-looking sconces from the walls. True to the name, there were indeed feathers all over the place, fortunately only covering the walls, and quite diverse - the chances of a single person recognizing them all was minor. Some were even... exotic, so to speak. The restaurant had that pleasant smell of roasted meat in the air. Enough to send anyone's stomach growling, let alone someone hungry.

The bartender was a human, just like the waiter and the waitress, but the clientele was far more colorful than that. All that was missing was a drakkar, in fact. There were even three guards seated near the wall opposite from the entrance, humans and an elf, not caring much for the privacy of their conversation. At least one of them didn't.

"It'll be a cold day in hell before I believe any of that shite!" said the younger human, a man in his twenties.

The other human was thirty from his looks, and with a scar across his left cheek visible in the firelight. "And yet there is proof. And witnesses. Besides, it's what the judge believes, not you."

"The trial is merely a formality, given the captain's position." argued the elf. "You know as well as I that they've already passed the sentence. Tomorrow's trial will last no longer than the following execution."

"Don't say that! They can't execute him!" the young soldier was obviously upset. He spilled what was left of his wine by accident. "After all those years of service... And he didn't even do it!"

"Enough!" said the older soldier. "And keep your voices down. If Stark was here..."

With the young soldier silenced for the moment, their conversation died and the other two returned to their food and drinks. He just stared at the table, frowning. Meanwhile the waitress approached the Chosen who were standing by the door. She was young and beautiful, with long brown hair and eyes to match.

"Welcome to the Ruffled Feathers. Please be seated. I'll be with you in a moment." she smiled at them, pointing out the nearest empty table just big enough to take them.

Dina Ailsa

The interior of the restaurant remained the focus of Dina's attention only until one of the guards raised his voice. It's not some common outlaw in question here it seems. Dina thought, she hesitated in taking a seat at the table the waitress pointed out. There might be a misunderstanding and the cost will be halting a live, beating heart. That man seems to disagree and the other one is scared of someone called Stark. Dina looked at Violet as if asking does she know them, making a head motion towards the table they were at. They might even be connected to the resistance, anything is possible. She thought. Earlier she noticed Violet's procrastination at the square, the look she gave to soon-to-be execution place. There were a lot of things Dina missed in her friends life and was sure that executions were some of them, Violet was a second-in-command after all and She loved to show deaths of the people from the resistance publicly. Dina let her head drop, it was injustice, cruelty and pure evil which ruled now and all of the people of this world suffered form it. Ilhirel has her men everywhere, maybe this is her doing as well. Maybe we should act on it. "I have hunch that our stay won't be a boring one." she said out loud and finally sat down. She crossed her legs, straightened her back and kept watching the guards out of the corner of her eyes. She wasn't really expecting to catch anyone's attention but Violet's. And we have until tomorrow if we do get involved. Dina's stomach reminded her of the business she had here and she blushed involuntarily. It was a growl this time. The smell of food that filled the place was strong and appetizing indeed.

Violet Robbins

Violet sat down next to Dina, angling her chair toward the table where the guards where seated. Casually, she placed her hand on her upper lip as to guarantee that she would not be overheard by those not at the table. Leaning toward Dina, Violet whispered "I'll have to agree with you there. As the head of the Watch, Stark's one of the most powerful men in this city. If he's concerned with a case, then it must be incredibly important. We'll have to look into this once we've finished our meal. Dina, I may need your help coordinating our little group so as to best get to the bottom of this mystery."

Dina Ailsa

Just as Dina expected, Violet had some information of her own. "This group is quite independent, though. Might take some effort to get them going at it." she answered mirroring Violet's gesture. Dina wondered whether this outburst caught their attention at all. They'll probably ignore it, it's none of our business after all.

As they all settled down at a table the waitress who greeted them earlier was back. "Are you ready to order? We specialize in fowls, needless to say." she smiled. She passed a look across them all, ending on Eltheron. Actually she had eyed him earlier when they came in, but he probably didn't notice.

The soldiers at the other table were exchanging words again, but much more quietly now. A few words could be distinguished though. They mentioned "trial", "captain" and "Stark". Violet was right. Stark was the commander of the City Watch in Aboran, and as such probably the most powerful man around after the Lord himself, of course.

"Pheasant. Grilled. And red wine." Meric placed his order, looking at Eltheron. "Right, mate? Can't go wrong with pheasant." This particular poultry was in fact very popular back in the their homeland.

Dina Ailsa

"Roasted chicken, water." Dina said eyeing the girl. She was actually carefully examining her. The girl's look was plainer than Dina's, making Dina the more noticeable one with her black hair-green eyes contrast. That didn't work so far, though. Back at that Inn he looked at the waitress as well. But now I'm clean, my hair is combed, I have a new, beautiful dress... And I'm a princess for food's sake! Dina's stomach growled again. Oh, stop it! She mentally ordered it. One gentleman gesture is all it takes for you to fall for a guy, huh? Pathetic. Dina sighed. But there's more to him than that! He has that quiet-water-wears-down-mountains quality to him, and his movements are as fluid and dangerous as the white water! Forget it, you were never the type to conquer the guy's heart. The only way would be that he had already fallen for you. Maybe if he saw you in your natural element, maybe. That's how it worked so far, no? But I never really went for a guy which hadn't already liked me...I truly am pathetic. Dina's inner fight went on. For a girl of her looks and abilities she had less than a spoonful of confidence. You can't build up the courage for it unless he's lying in bed, with great wounds and you're the only one around who can help him. Dina looked at her hands sadly. Yes, and YOU are the only heir left. This world is in for a treat with you. "Why hadn't mother taught me any of the tricks in THAT area. It's pretty obvious she was an expert for it." she whispered to herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back