Avvros

DreamingofRoses said:
Ah ha. Ah hahaha. It's great you have such confidence in your sense of humor. Misplaced, maybe, but great.
I'm British. It's apparent by our television that our humor is far more advanced than the rest of the world's.

Captain Hesperus

[QUOTE="Captain Hesperus]I'm British. It's apparent by our television that our humor is far more advanced than the rest of the world's.
Captain Hesperus

[/QUOTE]
Riiiiiight. I suppose you're a lumberjack who likes silly walks?

[QUOTE="Captain Hesperus]Well actually, I'm a knight.
And I say "Ni!"

Captain Hesperus

[/QUOTE]
Quit spamming Wiz's thread.

/hypocrite.

I would have to label myself as 'curious'. The setting sounds interesting, but I am not sure of the plot, or if there is one. Not sure what my goals could be or should be. In addition I don't know what would qualify as a basic mechanism v. advanced mechanism.

For instance, seeing in complete darkness. Basic? Advanced?

Extra arms? walking on walls? extra-sensory awareness?

I guess, I would be disappointed if I tried to make a character, only to find out that i can't fit the concept into a starting system.

It's mostly an open-ended game but with some important and wide-reaching plots hidden in there, players have the freedom to go their own route or follow one of the plotlines.

As for the powers, the Basic ones are kind of limited to a specific action, such as throwing a fireball thirty yards which explodes on solid contact and sets flammable things on fire/causes burn damage to living tissue or limited telekinetic ability to lift and move objects up to the weight of 100lb and move them short distances at a time. Advanced powers would have a wider scope, using the examples above, the fireball might also have the ability to create a blast radius or have a 'cling-fire' effect, burning on objects that are not normally flammable for a period of time or the telekinetic ability allowing a greater weight to be lifted and moved for longer, potentially including limited flight capabilities.

Captain Hesperus

This sounds really cool, and it hit my weakness of being steampunk X3 You can count me in 'w'

I would have to label myself as 'curious'. The setting sounds interesting, but I am not sure of the plot, or if there is one. Not sure what my goals could be or should be. In addition I don't know what would qualify as a basic mechanism v. advanced mechanism.
For instance, seeing in complete darkness. Basic? Advanced?

Extra arms? walking on walls? extra-sensory awareness?

I guess, I would be disappointed if I tried to make a character, only to find out that i can't fit the concept into a starting system
We want players to communicate with the storytellers/other players as much as possible. So when you're making your character or coming up with a concept, talk to us via PMs, Emails, or right in this thread if you have any questions or uncertainties.

Avvros has an intricate plot line, but participation is in a certain degree optional; there are many threads of it all happening in different places at different times and for different reasons. Most of them will be created especially around the characters and concepts that the players choose to make. The major events of the world will effect everyone. Ignoring threads of the plot for too long could end up leaving you out of it - and for some characters, that could be exactly the intention of the player. We'll have a special 'system' for making sure players are aware of these threads. (And when they can start pulling!)

Could an advanced mechanism be something like modify one's gene's so that they were part human and part animal, gaining the advantages of such a change?

I am trying to come up with a concept, but I just can't get a good hook to fit in. I was thinking of having a professor in a local school with one of his abilities called The Voice. Something that makes people need to listen to what he is saying. But not exactly sure what else to go on. I tried to fill out the character info but I have a lot of questions.

1) When you look up to the sky, do all you see is a sky in flames?

2) I get the impression that the city is just a series of buildings built upon levels and levels, with no real surface it attaches to ... at least that people have found so far. If its a steam-punk world, how many people are living at the struggling level v. those at the highest levels?

3) How common are basic mechanisms for the normal person?

1. No. What you see above in the Gate Tower district is a dome with lighting fixtures that manage day-night cycles. There are very few ways to actually observe the exterior of the actual city. They are rare, and sought-after. One such is in the top of the Gate Tower, which is the hub of all things in the Protectorate Capital. (Also called Avvros, sometimes Avvros City, although the entirety of Avvros is a city, simply not fully discovered, or "lit").

2. The city is full of different regions with differing structural types. The Gate Tower area is a large open level with a fixed metal floor onto which structures are fixed. There are other regions that are more dynamic and complex, such as the Lower Wards, which flank the Gate Tower area, and are on large platforms that move circularly around the Gate Tower. (These are hundreds of feet above anything below.) Think of the most common areas of the city as the "top" of a sphere, or a large platform. The Gate Tower makes up the core of this platform but is rooted to the superstructure below as well, so the city scales in three dimensions. There are no distinct "levels", because as you expand horizontally or vertically the structures change and mix.

Beyond the wards, Avvros get more complex and less symmetrical. There are messes of tunnels that the Wards connect to each hour. In these tunnels there are oftentimes unique structures with unknown purposes - some of these are taken over by the Sages as Conclaves or Prefectures for research and independence, some are Hacker or Junker hideouts.

Beyond these, it's up to your imagination. Avvros is incredibly massive.

This is not also to speak of the other Stars. Some are like Avvros in their three-dimensional nature, some are not, and are only one "level".

3. Mechanisms that improve the efficiency of a worker are very common, and sometimes are required by the Protectorate or an employer. Mechanisms that improve aesthetics are also fairly common, although the greatest of them are naturally quite expensive. All in all, Modulated persons are very common. Dangerous Mechanisms, however, are not common at all and heavily regulated. If you have one, you are almost always either;

1) A member of the Protectorate Security Services.

2) A member of a licensed corporate entity.

3) A hacker, junker, or sage

4) On the lamb from the law

5) Part of a resisting independent star.

As far as your character goes;

Keep in mind firstly that no Mechanism is unique.

Besides that small point, that sounds like a perfectly applicable Advanced, and could certainly make an interesting character, but I also wouldn't be surprised if a Corporation or the Protectorate, or any other group was interested in him. A lot of people would want to use a Mechanism like that to effect.

Sorry, didn't see Articus' post:

Yes, that is possible, although such violent physical alteration would certainly make you a societal reject. It'd be hard to fit in like that. I'd have to hear more about exactly what you had in mind.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]

Avvros

By: The Dark Wizard, Captain Heserpus, The World is Flat

[media]

[/media]

Avvros, to the best that the greatest of the sages can tell, is surrounded in a blanket of fire, and after that, a blanket of the deepest black, speckled with points of light. We have come together to call this expanse the void, and we do not know if anything indeed lies beyond. - Sage Ignotus Ferrel, 133 Avv.

Avvros is our home. Avvros is a living, breathing place. We live each day under the light from the Gate Tower, or in the darkness of the unlit reaches. Avvros is known by the creators who came before us as a Star. It is said that we are shrouded in an impregnable wall of fire, as the great sages have read from the works of the creators. Avvros is the seat of the Great Protectorate, who keeps us safe from the Adjunct, and any other things from the dark places.

As the myth goes, the first of us were born into the darkness, with only bare flames to light the dark places, alone, and cold we were, and would have died. But it is said that the city itself saved the last of us on the eve of our demise - lighting the Gate Tower and burning the hungry adjunct.

To this day, the statues of the survivors are given offerings by humble pilgrims, seeking solace and meaning in the warm stone eyes of the effigies. It is said they founded the first protectorate, making brave forays into the dark to find those others lost in the dark; saving some, burying others.

We give thanks to the city and the creators who have given us life - and we also give thanks for the challenges that they have presented us, to strengthen our resolve and prove ourselves the masters of this place - worthy of the creator’s accomplishments. - Pious Nome Altair

This city changes day-by-day, constantly evolving. Some days, I try and find an overlook in the Gate Tower to look out over the expanses and watch the city work. It’s a beautiful thing, the graceful pipes and slides slowly moving in concert, interacting in ways we can barely imagine. I’ve been able to identify some patterns - but other movements yet confound me. The creators were capable of such unimaginable genius, I cannot describe.

Last week, I observed a pipe in the outer atrium which had been leaking an amount of fluid for many years. This pipe itself began to tighten around the midsection and rotate vertically, unlike the slow and steady horizontal rotation that it usually occupied itself with. After a brief moment, the assembly shuddered, and the leak had disappeared. The station is just as alive as the Sages would have us believe. - Rium Daveikvy, 3rd undermechanic, foreman Darrow, 376 Avv.

It’s as if they wanted us to make this place the seat of our power. All the networks inevitably must pass through Avvros. In our modern age, it is natural that the trade between the Stars would pass through Avvros, but why? It is well observed that Avvros may be the largest of all the stars - certainly the most intricate in design and the most livable. It was the Ideal place to locate the center of the Protectorate beaurocracy.

My master often callinglling it the Protectorate was either a great act of self deception or a great act of cunning - maybe sometimes I think it could be both. We do as much as we can to protect people from the truth - that much is certain. I don’t know if i’d be here if it wasn’t for my Modulation. It certainly isn’t for the relaxing work environment and the stimulating company.

Then again, the choice “Join or Die” is a fairly easy one to make. - Magister Javidd Macheas, 411 Avv.

They said that the protectorate doesn't come looking for you if you live in a Free Star. They were right - for a time. Shas and I always loved to explore. It got us in trouble. It would always be safer for you if you lived in a state independent from the Protectorate. At least if you were caught the security would be so weak you could bust out without breaking a sweat. That or the guard would be your cousin and he’d sneak you out the first day.

I never realized how far the Protectorate influence reaches. Even in a so called “Independent Star” Avvrosian power-politics will find you if they think they can use you... Or take what you’ve got for their own.

When we found the Mechanisms we didn’t know what we’d gotten ourselves into. We’d heard of them. I heard some made you beautiful, or fast, or strong. The Protectorate says that they are potentially dangerous - it’s against the law to keep them for yourself. Shas and I didn’t realize this actually meant that they were potentially dangerous to the Protectorate.

The things she can do now! Oh man, if you could see her. Modulation is amazing. Some do make you faster or more beautiful. But some let you fly. Some let you punch through walls. Some let you give it back to those protectorate thugs and their “Independent Star” lackeys.

We’re lucky we found one of the right kind. Guess which? - Alan Montegro

The first discoveries of Mechanisms and the effect of Human Modulation is recorded in the hundredth year of the rediscovery. The discovery was entirely accidental. The effects, at first, were fear-inspiring. A single man could lift the weight of ten men. A modulated worker could haul as much cargo as an entire crew. A woman could change her appearance so as that any man might desire her - an imagine of beauty unrivalled. The effects never seemed to be the same, at first.

The Protectorate intervened, declaring all distribution and use of unsanctioned Mechanisms was illegal, and instituted a service that managed all modulations. This board is now known as the Mechanism & Modulation board. Many modifications have been deemed unsafe for distribution, and are only used by Protectorate Interdiction forces. Harmless ones, ones that make workers more efficient, women and men more beautiful, Sages more intelligent, have been released to the public via corporate sponsors.

If the Protectorate identifies an individual bearing an illegal Modulation, they are offered a choice - submit to extraction (the act of removing a modification, while painful returns the person to normal. Observed 66.3% fatality rate in unmedicated procedures.), sign on to the Protectorate, or sign on to an independent contractor, such as an accredited Local League championship or Avvros Society Services (A wealthy lobbying group with close ties to Protectorate Interdiction Command). The choice is usually among the latter pair.

Other individuals will attempt to subvert the system. These indviduals are known to the Protectorate and Independent Stars as “Hackers” or “Junkers”. They are dangerous groups known to subvert the stability and defense of the Grid. They are dangerous and often live short, violent, unhealthy lives. Any suspected Hackers or Junkers should be reported to your local official as quickly as possible.

The Protectorate’s Meritocratical Seat is always searching for members with great capability for key, high-ranking positions, and many Modulated hold key cabinet positions within the Meritocracy.

Tours are available between the hours of +4:00 Power Cycle to -2:00 Curfew.

To schedule a tour of the Mechanism & Modulation board, please fill out the attached form... - Protectorate Mechanism & Modulation board Pamphlet, 402 Avv.

• 1. The setting of Avvros is the eponymous Avvros, a city built within a star. The humans that live there do not understand their world, but they are slowly discovering a past and a city that are both living, evolving entities unimaginable in scope and complexity. The city is constantly changing. It evolves and repairs itself. The city is massive in size, spanning monumental distances and the extent of it’s size is currently unknown to the humans who live there.

The City and some of its outlying minor neighbors, often called “Independent Stars”, are ruled by the Protectorate, a Meritocratical Regime that seeks total order and unity among all residents of Avvros. Although often using martial force and brutal tactics, proponents argue that it has allowed for a safer and more tenable living experience for all.

The Protectorate’s name originates from the First Two, or the Progenitors. It is said that they were the ones who staved off the Adjunct and all humans are now born of them. Whether this is indeed true or not is unknown, although the modern-day protectorate uses the mythos to bolster its position, and it is also true that they manage the systems and defenses that keep the Adjunct at bay.

The Sages seek to study and understand Avvros, and often lead cloistered lives that establish settlements deep in the dark, unlit areas of Avvros. It is their conclusion that only a miniscule part of Avvros is currently active, and they hope that their expertise will enable them to reclaim more and more of the City.

The Junkers and Hackers are two competing groups that rule the fringes of society. The hackers have mastered methods of accessing and manipulating the city’s functions, and the Junkers often run forays into the unexplored sections of the city and return with Mechanisms, weapons, and equipment that they trade or use for personal gain.

Travel between parts of Avvros and the Independent Stars which house many of it’s criminals, grow many of it’s crops, and produce much of it’s commodities is enabled through the Medallions. The medallions are small metal discs, extremely rare, that enable travel to a particular star. Many medallions lead to Avvros, but few lead away to the more disparate tertiary stars that support Avvros’ economy.

To travel, one must first take a medallion to a particular Star’s Gate tower, and then place the Medallion in that Gate, which will instantaneously move them from one star to another. Some know that each medallion represents a unique identifier and sequence, that when decoded can be used independent of that medallion. Hackers manipulate this function to smuggle goods from star to star without the use of expensive and dangerous medallions, whos use and trade is regulated by the Protectorate.

Also we just wanted to make steampunk in space with medieval people who live inside stars. What. Too unoriginal? :(

2. Mechanisms & Skills

Character's have access to special changes in their genetic structure found within devices called Mechanisms. Mechanisms are found in two distinct types, the first are called Basics, and they are small improvements with a more minimal impact on genetic stability. The others are known as Advanced, and they produce a more dramatic and complex effect on the genetic structure. These changes are referred to as Modulations. Not all humans are capable of using Mechanisms to produce Modulations on their genetic structure. The two terms are sometimes used interchangeably.

Mechanisms take time to adapt to and train oneself to use, and as such, one must often decide to take the time to master skills or modulations as a child. Basic skills, such as training in an art or science, or a simple profession often require the same effort as mastering a basic modulation. Advanced skills, such as “Hacking” or “Junking” into Avvro’s complex mechanical systems takes often as much time as mastering an Advanced Mechanism.

As such, humans are limited initially to two basic Skills or Mechanisms (or one of each) and one one Advanced Skill or Advanced Mechanism.

3. Players will be allowed to submit as many characters as they want and are encouraged to suggest ideas and the such to the lore and setting to improve it.

Please note: If you have more then one character approved you are not allowed to use them in the same thread without an ST’s permission.

4. We encourage you to make any character you want to: If you want to be a member of the Protectorate, a Junker, a Hacker, a storekeeper, or a dirt farmer’s son from an Agriculture Star, you can be that. We encourage discussion and development with the storytellers on your place in the story. The more interaction the better.

If you are interested in joining please post below! We do not have any limits on players as of yet.

[/QUOTE]
I would love to join, if you would be willing to accept me. This sounds like a wonderful plot! :)

Twif said:
Sorry, didn't see Articus' post:

Yes, that is possible, although such violent physical alteration would certainly make you a societal reject. It'd be hard to fit in like that. I'd have to hear more about exactly what you had in mind.
Okay.

That kinda fits in with what I was thinking for the character. Would you like to hear my idea now, or should I work on it and show you the idea when the game starts?

----- Kar Pipe-Singer -----

----- Junker, Acquisition Specialist -----

Name: Kar Pip-Singer

Profession: Junker, Acquisition Specialist

Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual

Posting Colors:

Appearance

Height: 5' even

Weight: a mere 100lbs

Hair Color: White

Eye Color: black

Notable Characteristics & Distinguishing Marks: A spare set of limbs, several Clan tattoos, the most obvious of which being a semi visible ring around her eyes.

Description: Of slight frame and build, Kar is perfectly suited for her chosen field. An extra pair of limbs juts out from her torso, each hand gifted with an extra finger. Her skin is callused and bruised from years of work inside tight spaces and dangerous conditions.

Like other Junkers, Kar is usually found wearing a variety of salvaged and scavenged goods, most commonly an assortment ragged cowls covering a rather tight, if worn, body suit. The cowls and coverings for casual and body suit for work.

Theme Song: (please center the youtube video)

Personal

Opinion on Avvros: The planet? The city? It's everything to Kar and her kind. It's the home and provider, it's the only thing she knows. And it's all for them to take. It was given to the Junkers, and it's their right to live off of and evolve through the gifts of Avvros.

Education: Growing up in the tightly knit clans of Junkers living on the edge of 'civilized' Avvros doesn't lend itself to a formal education. Barely even able to understand the structure of society, Kar's education revolves around the junker lifestyle. Considered woefully ignorant by society, Kar is incredibly well versed in the mechanisms of The Star. Almost in tune with the rhythm of the planet. Kar can also pick out gems of technology with the skill of the highest technologists in the City proper.

Motivation: Kar wishes to provide for her clan, live comfortably and become the first Pipe-Singer elder in the Junker clans.

Disadvantages: Illegal: Kar is an extremely illegal being. Her very existence is tantamount to heresy. From a lifestyle bordering on feral to a huge system of black market trade from her scavenged items even as far as robbing and 'scavenging' from survey teams. This provides her a huge pool of resources but limits her movement in society.

Disadvantage: Burnt out: Due to the strenuous modification to her body, Kar has to replace a carbon rod in her spine roughly once each week or start suffering a sort of 'mental' deterioration. Side effects include but are not limited to lethargy, poor mental state, loss of memory and loss of fine motor skill.

Disadvantage: Illiterate: Kar cannot and has made little effort into learning the civilized languages of Avvros, opting for instead an innate understanding of the city.

Disadvantage (Optional): Bullheaded: Kar knows better and isn't afraid to say it. The life of a Pipesinger is most often short and violent. So far, she has survived and is plenty proud of that fact. No being crushed by massive pipes nor being shredded by the beasts for her, no, she's young and knows everything about the world.

Disadvantage (Optional):

History

Upbringing: Kar knows her mother, a Sar Pipe singer, only about thirty five years or so old. Kar was raised by her clan, learning bits and pieces from remaining adults, each one passing on the knowledge of success to her. Kar has several siblings, though she isn't particularly close to the loose conglomeration of half siblings, bastards, and odd folk she was told to stay clear of. Kar has been close to an Elder, though be is not a pipe-singer but actually a Wire-Spooler.

Most Important Event: In Kar's life, there are two events that stick out prominently for her. One she can remember and the other she cannot.

The first was the blessing of her modifications, received shortly after her birth, it was her induction into the Pipe Singer way of life. She cannot imagine life without her modifications and would sooner die than to be without them.

The second event was much more recent. Around age 15, Kar thought she had life figured out. This was when she first encountered a survey research team. Curious and ignorant she got too close and was quickly rounded up by some specialized junker hunters.

Transported into the heart of civilized Avvros, Kar was astonished and horrified at the people living without modification. The way they looked at her was a reflection of how she felt.

Placed in confinement in some sort of facility, Kar quickly escaped through a drain pipe previously deemed too narrow for any to travel through. Spending nearly a month in the depths beneath her cell, surviving off of scraps and using cheap sources of carbon, she eventually hit a main line and returned to her clan. Her first encounter may have given her a feeling of distrust but she has learned that though they shun modified personage, they crave junk technology she salvaged the time. Soon she established a few contacts and began bringing in much needed supplies for herself and a few select Wire Spoolers of course.

Home Star: Avvros, Deep commercial and industrial zones, Restricted city space.

Equipment

Personal Mementos: As a Junker, there is very little you grow attached to other than yourself and your mods.

Weapons: Like other pipe singers, Kar carries a pair of primarily utilitarian hook knives, built to pry tech apart and work in a multitude of ways.

Armor/Clothes: Kar wears a series of scavenged robes, blankets and cowls over her body when not actively scavenging.

When working, Kar opts for a worn but still tight fitting body suit. Slick enough and lined with pockets, the suit helps her move though tight spaces and is, as is most things in her life, quite traditional.

Other Items to Note:

Quest Items: (To be filled in by Storyteller)

Mechanisms/Skills(The term used for gene modification)

Basic:

1. Four armed: an extra pair of limbs, each one rather adept.

2. Light frame: A sub dermal frame, under her skin lays an intricate system of layered metals and lightweight materials. Lending Kar a light yet incredibly strong frame.

Advanced:

1. Adaptive Neural sensory system: Like all other Pipe Singers, Kar's body has been modified with an adaptive Neural sensory system. Each limb, each finger, each fiber of hair a complex network of sensors. Constantly adapting and re adapting to situations at hand, Kar is always aware of her surroundings. Able to seek out and locate even the smallest of technological marvels, she does suffer from the common malady of cerebral core deterioration and must replace a carbon absorption rod in her spine at least once a week depending on how much she pushes herself. The replacement process is intensive and invasive, though she is able to carry it out on her own. Most often the procedure is done by a loved one or fellow Pipe-Singer.

[QUOTE="Doctor Frixz]What be the status on this?

[/QUOTE]
I've been sick and busy with school I only have 2 more weeks and then we will resume this.

This roleplay submission has been inactive for a long enough period of time. It has been archived. The creators can resubmit this thread or revive this thread if they desire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back