The Dark Wizard

BETA: HTML Is here! (Big Code Update) Part 1

261 posts in this topic

Hello. I just wanted a bit of clarification regarding the upcoming HTML update ... When one says HTML, I assume that means that CSS is part of that package, correct? If so, will the users be writing it inline, external, or internal? This side question is not related but ... what are the default px size for the posts container? Thank you in advance.

I'm still totally excited. I like to think I was pretty good at HTML and all, so this is great. <3

2 minutes ago, Vlaty said:

Hello. I just wanted a bit of clarification regarding the upcoming HTML update ... When one says HTML, I assume that means that CSS is part of that package, correct? If so, will the users be writing it inline, external, or internal? This side question is not related but ... what are the default px size for the posts container? Thank you in advance.

CSS is included and is internal.  Default font size is the same as the editor (14).

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Musician said:

CSS is included and is internal.  Default font size is the same as the editor (14).

Thank you. However, I meant to ask what the max width of the post one make's is. (Edit: Sorry for horrible wording)

Just now, DaughterofAthena said:

I did know bbcode very well. What's throwing me off is all the "a"s and "p"s when I don't want to do something to a whole paragraph. I just want to do it to a single line within said paragraph. I have no idea where the "a" comes from. It's not mentioned in any of the tutorials people have linked me to and yet its in all of Musician's examples. 

You have to go through the basics in the w3school's program before you move on to specifics, it doesn't reexplain things. 

2 minutes ago, Vlaty said:

Thank you. However, I meant to ask what the length and height of one's post is, or perhaps in other words, the biggest box I can make while remaining inside rpn's post box. :D

I'll have to put that in a guide as the box is responsive.

Though I'm sure a lot of users are already working on some :)!

4 minutes ago, Vlaty said:

Thank you. However, I meant to ask what the max width of the post one make's is. (Edit: Sorry for horrible wording)

About 891 px wide.

1 person likes this

Ohhhh noooooooo

And a new saga of the elitist bullshit begins anew.

Just now, DaughterofAthena said:

Just a note... I have now gotten 3 separate PMs telling me about this thread. Three PMs is a bit much. 

The announcement system has been bugging out.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, DaughterofAthena said:

Just a note... I have now gotten 3 separate PMs telling me about this thread. Three PMs is a bit much. 

it glitched out.

Just now, simj22 said:

Ohhhh noooooooo

there will be elitism no matter what we do. just get over it

7 minutes ago, simj22 said:

Ohhhh noooooooo

when the rest of the buttons come, even people who can't do html will be able to beautify their posts just as much

elitism would exist either way though, and already does, simmy

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, DaughterofAthena said:

I did know bbcode very well. What's throwing me off is all the "a"s and "p"s when I don't want to do something to a whole paragraph. I just want to do it to a single line within said paragraph. I have no idea where the "a" comes from. It's not mentioned in any of the tutorials people have linked me to and yet its in all of Musician's examples. 

Styles too... they are very confusing. 

With bbcode it was just color=... now there are a lot of extra words that don't make sense. 

At the same time, I feel as though I'm spamming the thread with "how to use html" which feels wrong, but if I go make a new thread, I'm afraid everyone's going to be too busy here to help. 

The a stands for anchor, which is like a fancy term for a link. I'm telling you though, the video I showed you is gonna help you more than the tutorials.

But even then like, if you wanna do something fast mayaswell just stick with google docs and wait for the buttons. If you really apply yourself you can get a hold of HTML in like a week and overtime you'll get better with it. 

But a lot of people don't have time for that. It's a lot to learn and it's only gonna slow down your roleplays more than the initial update already has. In my opinion, this update is for people who already know how to use HTML and no one else. And even then, as someone who knows how to use it, I know it's just gonna take me longer to try and fix my threads with it, and I'm sure as hell not gonna use it every time I post in IC. So why bother.

I strongly recommend not bothering with it unless you're actually interested in coding. It's not as easy as people are making it seem. Is it an easier coding language? Yeah but I mean, it's like comparing riding a bike and riding a unicycle.

If the bike is bbcode and HTML is the unicycle, sure I bet it's a lot easier to ride a unicycle if you already know how to ride a bike but I'm betting you're not just gonna hop on the thing and start riding it across tightropes overnight. There's a reason more people can ride a bike than a unicycle.

3 people like this

You know what's also weird, pictures aren't showing up for me and it's happening to other people as well and this just happened when this new beta update thing happened.

3 minutes ago, Archdemon said:

You know what's also weird, pictures aren't showing up for me and it's happening to other people as well and this just happened when this new beta update thing happened.

The site is still repairing some images.  Please be patient. =)

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Archdemon said:

it was happening before we even started testing it

it'll resolve itself on its own sometime soon 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, SirBlazeALot said:

I strongly recommend not bothering with it unless you're actually interested in coding.

I am interested in fixing my posts sooner rather than later. If learning html lets me do things faster, I'm going to put everything I have into learning html. 

I've already started a thread in my private workshop for it. 

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, Meredith said:

The announcement system has been bugging out.

Ah, thanks. I thought something was on fire...

Oh, so you're saying that if i act like a complete schmuck and yell at people for 'stealing muh bbcode, muh hardwork, sweat and tears', it's totes fine, right?

Okay! Brb, getting my blood sweat and tears essay ready.

10 minutes ago, DaughterofAthena said:

I am interested in fixing my posts sooner rather than later. If learning html lets me do things faster, I'm going to put everything I have into learning html. 

I've already started a thread in my private workshop for it. 

More power to you then :3 Let me know if you need any help. I'm a little rusty because I'm more into software development than web design. Again though, my boy Bucky in that tutorial video is the Yoda of HTML. It really helps to have someone actually show you what's good with coding and prevent you from developing bad habits.

5 minutes ago, simj22 said:

Oh, so you're saying that if i act like a complete schmuck and yell at people for 'stealing muh bbcode, muh hardwork, sweat and tears', it's totes fine, right?

Okay! Brb, getting my blood sweat and tears essay ready.

simmy, im not even sure what youre talking about