Other YUGIOH: Just A Chat to Remember

I watched Yu-Gi-Oh! when I was younger on 4Kids and the first manga I ever owned was the first volume. I didn't think much on the series as I got older until I stumbled upon the manga and decided to revisit it. First, I re-found Yu-Gi-Oh Abridge, there are just so many quotable moments and I forgot how much Kaiba abridged was exactly like English Kaiba. Then I tried watching the series but damn man it was so hard to marathon, I don't know if it was the filler seasons or somethin' else. Going back in time and seeing Pharaoh Atem with all of his priest fighting Bakura/Zork is still the coolest part of the anime though.
But nothing quite got my attention then season 0, that was so much fun to watch, and I greatly enjoyed the characters. Seeing Yami fight with a multitude of games instead of just Dual Monsters was dope as hell and it sucks, we didn't get more seasons.
But I think my biggest stone kicker was the creator passing away right when I was getting back into it. I'm glad the guy got to see this small manga he created purely for his love of games turn into something so big. Even if the sequels never did all that much for me, I've come to respect his work and storytelling so much more and hope to slowly collect the whole manga.

(Sorry if this was ramble-y.)

Yeah, the passing of Kazuki Takahashi was surprising and sad for sure. Though a lot of respect for his heroic actions to save the two lives that he did. Just pretty sad to see his passing back when it happened. But yeah, definitely was a great creator of series and games that goes back a long ways for me.

Pendulum summoning, plot… Nope not really what shocked and confused me with Arc-V. Gong being in his early teens while looking like a fully grown middle aged man? Yep that got me.

When I was a kid, Yu-Gi-Oh was something that I enjoyed a lot, no doubt about that. I had watched a bit of Duel Monsters as a kid, but it wasn't until GX was when I really started to gather interest in Yu-Gi-Oh as a whole and enjoyed the ever living heck out of it despite Season 3 of GX's ending that left me lost and confused as to what was going to happen next. However I would say that I never really had my own physical cards, aside from a pack that turned out to be nothing but bootlegs as the levels of the monsters were way too high to even summon normally.

Eventually I had started to actually watch the series (from DM to the first season of Arc-V) as well as learning how to play the game via Duel Links, having started right when it first came out, and eventually resulted in me learning how to extend that towards the actual TCG via the 2011 World Championship Nintendo DS game. Nowadays I still follow and enjoy the game, but it wasn't very often that I play it nowadays.

As for one of my favorite cards, it is this absolute unit that carried me through the endgame of World Championship 2011's Story Mode:

1674202641989.png

Pf lol. Ya he does look old doesn’t he?
For sure. Don’t get me wrong… so far he’s one of the more entertaining and interesting characters for me. but wow that caught me off guard seeing his supposed age on the wikia. Still a bit confused with his character, nothing big just minor details I must have missed, but I’m only on 19 of the first season so maybe things will clear up in time.

When I was a kid, Yu-Gi-Oh was something that I enjoyed a lot, no doubt about that. I had watched a bit of Duel Monsters as a kid, but it wasn't until GX was when I really started to gather interest in Yu-Gi-Oh as a whole and enjoyed the ever living heck out of it despite Season 3 of GX's ending that left me lost and confused as to what was going to happen next. However I would say that I never really had my own physical cards, aside from a pack that turned out to be nothing but bootlegs as the levels of the monsters were way too high to even summon normally.

Eventually I had started to actually watch the series (from DM to the first season of Arc-V) as well as learning how to play the game via Duel Links, having started right when it first came out, and eventually resulted in me learning how to extend that towards the actual TCG via the 2011 World Championship Nintendo DS game. Nowadays I still follow and enjoy the game, but it wasn't very often that I play it nowadays.

As for one of my favorite cards, it is this absolute unit that carried me through the endgame of World Championship 2011's Story Mode:

View attachment 1059115
Oh I remember that GX ending… Never did care for it and still left in the dark on what that was all about but then again, I think I missed some episodes in between back then so amongst other things it was very odd to me.

Nice! I enjoyed tag force series quite a bit though never got to try out the 5D’s era versions least not really. Recently downloaded the free master duel to try out after several years away from dueling and Yugioh games since I started watching series from start to all eras ive not seen such as most of 5D’s and Zexal onward.

Nice card there! I liked the Machina’s vaguely recall using some of them in the GX tag force games I think…. Never got a full deck though in the game but still fun to use. Never used that one myself but a good card none the less. I think Sniper and a couple others were the only ones I had in the tagforce game from whatever packs I got in game.

My only gripes with the anime at least was Yami/Atem never felt very human. He made awkward looks when trying to talk to Mai before Battle City or his iconic 'This isn't a duel!', or his confusion when returning to Egypt. But other than the noncanonical Orichalcos arc, Yami felt like he got all the screen time yet none at the same time. I would have really dig more moments of Atem just being awkward or engrossed in something. It would have been cool hearing his thoughts when the puzzle was first put together, seeing his reaction to something like a helicopter or maybe he eats a food, and he really likes it and goes through these stages of facial expressions. Idk, I just wanted somethin' other than arrogance and heroic and dueling.

I would have also enjoyed if in the Dark Side of Dimensions movie, it was Yugi to defeat the ring spirit. As badass as Atem returning with an orchestra cover of the English opening was, it kicked Yugi's entire arc out the window. It made him feel too dependent on Atem and it would have been cool to just see him win a battle himself.

Last edited:
I forget the guys name he had white hair and that egyptiom mellenium for the eye. He was a pretty cool character in one of the ones I watch. Again j don't keep track of the brand's or what ever 😅

But I remember he wasnt such a bad guy ones the eye was removed (I think maybe it's just cuz he couldn't do anything without the eye) but it got me to thinking. Was the eye controlling him???

It wasn't until a summer or two ago where I was bored and decided to dive into Yugioh GX since I watched that in my childhood. I had a fondness for Syrus. I was quite angry when they basically replaced him with Jesse. But regardless, the anime was pretty good, so I went on to watching the other Yugioh series. Finished all minus Sevens, as I don't want to watch it until the dub is completed. I prefer to watch the dub of Yugioh since they tend to have the funniest lines.

("Yusei? Destined for greatness? The only thing Yusei is destined for--Is minimum wage!") --Jack (5Ds)

("So this is what being a loser feels like...I bet. Yugo feels like this--EVERY single day.") --Yuri (Arc-V)

But my favorite series is still Yugioh VRAINS! I just wish...It had more episodes. We didn't get to focus on the relationships between the characters because of the cut off at 120 episodes. The ending was still brutal, though. Also I thought it was downright vicious what they did to Yusaku and Ai??? Ai was the? The second (almost first? Tori???) to confess his feelings to the MC--ON SCREEN. But rip the fact they censored the confession to friendship in dub--The fact he died like 30 seconds later??? Why,,

I've noticed Yugioh has a track record of murdering any non-human character lol. Remember when they crushed Astral??? No mercy.

I forget the guys name he had white hair and that egyptiom mellenium for the eye. He was a pretty cool character in one of the ones I watch. Again j don't keep track of the brand's or what ever 😅

But I remember he wasnt such a bad guy ones the eye was removed (I think maybe it's just cuz he couldn't do anything without the eye) but it got me to thinking. Was the eye controlling him???
Pegasus was his name. It’s been too long for me to recall the specifics though regarding your question. Simultaneously rewatching the older series and yet watching those that came later and finished but I never saw. So haven’t hit that part again of original Yugioh.

My only gripes with the anime at least was Yami/Atem never felt very human. He made awkward looks when trying to talk to Mai before Battle City or his iconic 'This isn't a duel!', or his confusion when returning to Egypt. But other than the noncanonical Orichalcos arc, Yami felt like he got all the screen time yet none at the same time. I would have really dig more moments of Atem just being awkward or engrossed in something. It would have been cool hearing his thoughts when the puzzle was first put together, seeing his reaction to something like a helicopter or maybe he eats a food, and he really likes it and goes through these stages of facial expressions. Idk, I just wanted somethin' other than arrogance and heroic and dueling.

I would have also enjoyed if in the Dark Side of Dimensions movie, it was Yugi to defeat the ring spirit. As badass as Atem returning with an orchestra cover of the English opening was, it kicked Yugi's entire arc out the window. It made him feel too dependent on Atem and it would have been cool to just see him win a battle himself.
Atem did Kinda get old after awhile, I agree. Decent character still just a lot of showcasing for him. Mai was awesome imo but wish they could have done something more for other characters in original.

It wasn't until a summer or two ago where I was bored and decided to dive into Yugioh GX since I watched that in my childhood. I had a fondness for Syrus. I was quite angry when they basically replaced him with Jesse. But regardless, the anime was pretty good, so I went on to watching the other Yugioh series. Finished all minus Sevens, as I don't want to watch it until the dub is completed. I prefer to watch the dub of Yugioh since they tend to have the funniest lines.

("Yusei? Destined for greatness? The only thing Yusei is destined for--Is minimum wage!") --Jack (5Ds)

("So this is what being a loser feels like...I bet. Yugo feels like this--EVERY single day.") --Yuri (Arc-V)

But my favorite series is still Yugioh VRAINS! I just wish...It had more episodes. We didn't get to focus on the relationships between the characters because of the cut off at 120 episodes. The ending was still brutal, though. Also I thought it was downright vicious what they did to Yusaku and Ai??? Ai was the? The second (almost first? Tori???) to confess his feelings to the MC--ON SCREEN. But rip the fact they censored the confession to friendship in dub--The fact he died like 30 seconds later??? Why,,

I've noticed Yugioh has a track record of murdering any non-human character lol. Remember when they crushed Astral??? No mercy.
Definitely some funny lines over the years. 5D’s and Zexal I haven’t finished yet and pretty much never saw them while they were active and still going, but during my revisit stuff I’ve seen so far has its moments and lines for sure. Haven’t gotten close to Vrains and anything after that or before of Arc-V wasn’t the series right before it.

For me not too surprised though haha. Human characters have gone through quite a bit even as kids/teens with various arcs over the years.

~~~

So far, Still forcing myself through Arc-V. It’s been ok so far as I’m now around S1-E21. But man, Yuya annoys me and is very repetitive with his lines and actions and their respective timing for the most part. Way too much exposure with his duels so far and not near enough of others in the series. Just my opinion so far though but yeah…

Pegasus was his name. It’s been too long for me to recall the specifics though regarding your question. Simultaneously rewatching the older series and yet watching those that came later and finished but I never saw. So haven’t hit that part again of original Yugioh.

Atem did Kinda get old after awhile, I agree. Decent character still just a lot of showcasing for him. Mai was awesome imo but wish they could have done something more for other characters in original.

Definitely some funny lines over the years. 5D’s and Zexal I haven’t finished yet and pretty much never saw them while they were active and still going, but during my revisit stuff I’ve seen so far has its moments and lines for sure. Haven’t gotten close to Vrains and anything after that or before of Arc-V wasn’t the series right before it.

For me not too surprised though haha. Human characters have gone through quite a bit even as kids/teens with various arcs over the years.

~~~

So far, Still forcing myself through Arc-V. It’s been ok so far as I’m now around S1-E21. But man, Yuya annoys me and is very repetitive with his lines and actions and their respective timing for the most part. Way too much exposure with his duels so far and not near enough of others in the series. Just my opinion so far though but yeah…
Vrains isn't for anyone--But it's personally my favorite. The main character, Yusaku is more of a vigilante. Especially during season 1, where he seems to be more on the 'I will crush you if you get in my way,' kind of person. Who likes trauma through Duel Monsters...?! ME.

I have more interest in Yuri (or even Yugo!) than Yuya. I LOVED Sora though. I personally liked Arv-V a lot up until.....Synchro Arc. [Facedesk] They...The writing...Became a mess. Still occasional cool moments though!

~~~

Like Bakura Ryou. Idk what 4Kids had against that guy but they cut so much of him out of the anime. I don't even know the guy's personality that's how little screen time he gets. He does a disappearing act in dsod, he confronts Diva and then poofs until he appears right at the end. I know it was Kaiba's movie but Bakura's whole ass backstory was shown yet he still only gets two lines of dialogue.
In the famous words of Little Kiriboh:
"I had no dialogue, yet I still got paid more." - Pharaoh Atem/Yami Yugi

Last edited:
Vrains isn't for anyone--But it's personally my favorite. The main character, Yusaku is more of a vigilante. Especially during season 1, where he seems to be more on the 'I will crush you if you get in my way,' kind of person. Who likes trauma through Duel Monsters...?! ME.

I have more interest in Yuri (or even Yugo!) than Yuya. I LOVED Sora though. I personally liked Arv-V a lot up until.....Synchro Arc. [Facedesk] They...The writing...Became a mess. Still occasional cool moments though!
Oh? Interesting. I’m not even sure if I saw a trailer or bits of the first episode back in the day or not. Pretty sure I haven’t. But curious what it will be like once I get there. (Assuming my current source for Yugioh revisiting/watching will have it available to watch.) Sounds interesting having a vigilante type as the main character in Yugioh after going through Yugi, Jaden, Yusei, (blanking on the Zexal kids name…. Yikes haha) and Yuya. That little bit of info about Yusaku has got my attention.

The bits I’ve seen of them or one atleast so far and the little I read on the wiki cause Gong had me baffled watching the series at first and still kinda does…. How is he only 14? Haha. Still gets me. Anyways, very entertaining and unique character for me in this series. The deck he uses fits him perfectly and is quite unique in its own right. (Super Heavy Samurai …. Was it? Yeah, I think so.) But anyways I do know those are alternate dimension version of Yuya. (Fusion & XZ i think? I know XZ for sure with the one.) The XZ dimension version was interesting. Far different from Yuya which I know is the point but still quite different from bits I’ve seen of him so far. Sora is alright imo, I’ve gone back and forth with him. He can be a bit annoying at times for my taste but still makes up for it at different points that I’ve seen so far. Zuzu is decent same with her dad and Yuyas mom. So far I think it’s mainly Yuya that bothers me so far besides the incredibly annoying Quiz kid duelist in 19-20 , I couldn’t wait for that pair of episodes to end.

Thanks for the warning! haha. I had a feeling I’m probably not going to like this whole dimensions aspect they’ve got going but maybe I’ll be alright with it. Just odd to me still hearing duel academy and other mentions, yet it’s far different then what my era’s Duel academy was like.

Like Bakura Ryou. Idk what 4Kids had against that guy but they cut so much of him out of the anime. I don't even know the guy's personality that's how little screen time he gets. He does a disappearing act in dsod, he confronts Diva and then poofs until he appears right at the end. I know it was Kaiba's movie but Bakura's whole ass backstory was shown yet he still only gets two lines of dialogue.
In the famous words of Little Kiriboh:
"I had no dialogue, yet I still got paid more." - Pharaoh Atem/Yami Yugi
Oh yeah! Bakura needed way more time! Still feels like a lost memory that I never really knew. Can’t say I ever read the anime since I always just watched it plus with how many volumes are out there for each anime and manga series it can get pretty pricey. (Didn’t have the right online options back then personally.) But yeah a very underutilized character in the series least on TV-4Kids/etc.

Oh? Interesting. I’m not even sure if I saw a trailer or bits of the first episode back in the day or not. Pretty sure I haven’t. But curious what it will be like once I get there. (Assuming my current source for Yugioh revisiting/watching will have it available to watch.) Sounds interesting having a vigilante type as the main character in Yugioh after going through Yugi, Jaden, Yusei, (blanking on the Zexal kids name…. Yikes haha) and Yuya. That little bit of info about Yusaku has got my attention.

The bits I’ve seen of them or one atleast so far and the little I read on the wiki cause Gong had me baffled watching the series at first and still kinda does…. How is he only 14? Haha. Still gets me. Anyways, very entertaining and unique character for me in this series. The deck he uses fits him perfectly and is quite unique in its own right. (Super Heavy Samurai …. Was it? Yeah, I think so.) But anyways I do know those are alternate dimension version of Yuya. (Fusion & XZ i think? I know XZ for sure with the one.) The XZ dimension version was interesting. Far different from Yuya which I know is the point but still quite different from bits I’ve seen of him so far. Sora is alright imo, I’ve gone back and forth with him. He can be a bit annoying at times for my taste but still makes up for it at different points that I’ve seen so far. Zuzu is decent same with her dad and Yuyas mom. So far I think it’s mainly Yuya that bothers me so far besides the incredibly annoying Quiz kid duelist in 19-20 , I couldn’t wait for that pair of episodes to end.

Thanks for the warning! haha. I had a feeling I’m probably not going to like this whole dimensions aspect they’ve got going but maybe I’ll be alright with it. Just odd to me still hearing duel academy and other mentions, yet it’s far different then what my era’s Duel academy was like.

Oh yeah! Bakura needed way more time! Still feels like a lost memory that I never really knew. Can’t say I ever read the anime since I always just watched it plus with how many volumes are out there for each anime and manga series it can get pretty pricey. (Didn’t have the right online options back then personally.) But yeah a very underutilized character in the series least on TV-4Kids/etc.
The lights of the series, Yugi and Bakura really needed more screen time. Marik was the only character that really felt fleshed out and wasn't scooted over for his darker half. Yugi is a bit more fleshed out since he is the mc, but he gets really over showed by Yami.

The anime focusing only on the duels and main plot really did a number on all the characters. They're so many neat side stories that built character bonds and I've especially noticed it in the early chapters of the manga. Tristian and Anzu felt like background characters most of time. Yami also felt very different in the early chapters of the manga and season 0, he had this more sadistic approach to justice, and it was Yugi and the gang that slowly humanized him, and he became more heroic. I know every anime fans say this but having an anime that follows the manga more side by side is a lot better.

Kaiba is the only character I will take from any version of Yu-Gi-Oh!, he's just that damn entertaining.

Also, the season 0 movie... coolest adaptation of dueling, no cap. The animation for its time is just- there's a part where Kaiba does an uno reverse on Yami and he says 'Nani?!' and they animate his eyes widening in this really satisfying way. He blinks like he's actually processing the information then they widen as the camera gets closer to his face for this dramatic effect all animated in the span of a few seconds. It was cool and I wish we got more Yami making intense expressions animated really well. Joey also gives Yami a hug and it's great.

Last edited:

Good luck finding a source to watch VRAINS on...I had to use those illegal anime sites. Most streaming services don't have it for some reason. I watched the first episode of VRAINS and read how people dropped it because they thought it was silly. I disagreed immensely, I was intrigued by the tone. And I wasn't disappointed since it introduced me to my two(three?) favorite characters in Yugioh! Oh, and I believe the name you're looking for is 'Yuma'!

For a while, I was iffy about Gong. But as the series went on, I came to respect him as a person and character, so thank you writers.
I actually didn't mention Yuto! (XYZ) I personally didn't like him. ...My brother and I often debate who's better. But in truth, I'm more of a fusion user, and he really LOVES XYZ so we're like oil and water.

I can't say why I dislike Yuto for obvious spoiler reasons. I had to look up the episode you said you were at--And realized you haven't gotten to the bulk of the show yet. Soon, it'll really shine with intensity, so enjoy! Personally, I really loved the dimensions aspect, but they still fricked a few things up with it. This made fans really want more but--Nah. On the bright side, there were positives to the whole thing! I just can't say why because...Spoilers.

When I was younger, I was super into yugioh. Me and my brothers would often sit around and watch the cartoons (there's even this story of me and my brother, and he asked me to slap him awake to watch the morning episode before we had to get ready to go to the beach) and it was a card game I was pretty into alongside Magic the Gathering. I built up a little collection and was super excited when this packs with the Egyptian gods came out, went to buy them right away. I took a pretty big blow though when the deck I shoved pretty much all of my favorite cards in just up and disappeared.

Over time my attachment to yugioh waned a bit, but I still quite like it. I never really got into the anime past GX, and most of my contact with it now is either through recognizing references to it in other shows or through the channel littlekuriboh that does a sort of parody review of it from time to time. It was also the game that introduced me to the idea of making custom cards for the first time, and though now I mostly do it for MTG cards I did have fun making and trying out yugioh cards, and even tried doing roleplays around that a couple times (though those inevitably fail because an situation where you effectively have full control of a game's results isn't the most conducive to making that game engaging, but a lack of control can jeopardize the narrative's ability to proceed).

Like with many games I began to get a better grasp of the rules as I grew up and was able to better understand the nuances of certain things, however yugioh was one which somehow even more than magic the gathering was often caught up in technicalities even when trying to engage in casual play online. The new summoning types certainly didn't help, a lot of it seeming so out of control that often it didn't even feel like I was playing the game as much as watching someone play solitaire. It's fundamental design - cards as the only resource outside of life, and little to no interference in the opponent's turn - combined with issues of power creep and a much heavier leaning on technicality rules of timing than many other games all kind of made it fade a bit into the background for me particularly as I lost contact with people whom I used to play card games with (or those people lost interest) and as I found other card games like hearthstone and nowadays shadowverse.

So yeah, long story short, I very much loved yugioh growing up, it's fallen a bit out of favor with me but I still enjoy it and occasionally feel like trying out something around it like some custom cards, comedy and even the sparse attempt at RP.

When I was younger, I was super into yugioh. Me and my brothers would often sit around and watch the cartoons (there's even this story of me and my brother, and he asked me to slap him awake to watch the morning episode before we had to get ready to go to the beach) and it was a card game I was pretty into alongside Magic the Gathering. I built up a little collection and was super excited when this packs with the Egyptian gods came out, went to buy them right away. I took a pretty big blow though when the deck I shoved pretty much all of my favorite cards in just up and disappeared.

Over time my attachment to yugioh waned a bit, but I still quite like it. I never really got into the anime past GX, and most of my contact with it now is either through recognizing references to it in other shows or through the channel littlekuriboh that does a sort of parody review of it from time to time. It was also the game that introduced me to the idea of making custom cards for the first time, and though now I mostly do it for MTG cards I did have fun making and trying out yugioh cards, and even tried doing roleplays around that a couple times (though those inevitably fail because an situation where you effectively have full control of a game's results isn't the most conducive to making that game engaging, but a lack of control can jeopardize the narrative's ability to proceed).

Like with many games I began to get a better grasp of the rules as I grew up and was able to better understand the nuances of certain things, however yugioh was one which somehow even more than magic the gathering was often caught up in technicalities even when trying to engage in casual play online. The new summoning types certainly didn't help, a lot of it seeming so out of control that often it didn't even feel like I was playing the game as much as watching someone play solitaire. It's fundamental design - cards as the only resource outside of life, and little to no interference in the opponent's turn - combined with issues of power creep and a much heavier leaning on technicality rules of timing than many other games all kind of made it fade a bit into the background for me particularly as I lost contact with people whom I used to play card games with (or those people lost interest) and as I found other card games like hearthstone and nowadays shadowverse.

So yeah, long story short, I very much loved yugioh growing up, it's fallen a bit out of favor with me but I still enjoy it and occasionally feel like trying out something around it like some custom cards, comedy and even the sparse attempt at RP.
I love Yugioh for the characters, the subtle lore, and the overall would building!

What a good relationship with your brothers! Before Yugioh, mine would scream the Ben Ten theme song at 9 AM every Saturday morning. ...Misery.
I personally can't handle the game, it confuses me a bit. ^^' But I love the characters so much, I keep writing them! I just don't write duels. 8') What kind of rps do you like in yugioh? I prefer the angst variety but with a need for fluff! Isekais are my love and life!

I love Yugioh for the characters, the subtle lore, and the overall would building!

What a good relationship with your brothers! Before Yugioh, mine would scream the Ben Ten theme song at 9 AM every Saturday morning. ...Misery.
I personally can't handle the game, it confuses me a bit. ^^' But I love the characters so much, I keep writing them! I just don't write duels. 8') What kind of rps do you like in yugioh? I prefer the angst variety but with a need for fluff! Isekais are my love and life!
GX isekais were my first major fanfic/RP love, and they included basically everything- drama, angst, comedy, fluff, and many an epic duel >]

GX isekais were my first major fanfic/RP love, and they included basically everything- drama, angst, comedy, fluff, and many an epic duel >]
Ohh! May I ask which Yugioh series you enjoyed? (Or is it just GX?)

I love all of what you mentioned! I just don't write duels. ^^'

Oh! So do you plan to complete the others? And do you like crossovers--
Zexal was never licensed for sub, which means watching it is only available on non-official streamers, so that's only an option with a computer that can safely handle it. Not sure what you mean by crossovers, but BBT was fun to watch.

Zexal was never licensed for sub, which means watching it is only available on non-official streamers, so that's only an option with a computer that can safely handle it. Not sure what you mean by crossovers, but BBT was fun to watch.
Ah. I use a couple of Ad-Blocks and 9Anime to run those types of sites. I'm a dub watcher anyway, and use Hulu for my dubs! It didn't...Have VRAINS though. Finding VRAINS dubbed ANYWHERE was a nightmare, hands down.

BBT was fun!
As for crossovers, I mean with various fandoms! I tend to write multifandom things. Although recently, in terms of crossovers, I had a Danganronpa (V3) + Yugioh crossover roleplay! I used Mokuba (aged 13) and had quite a blast. (Mokuba looked upon these students like they were worse than the idiots he's observed during Kaiba Corp business meetings.) ^^ We unfortunately didn't get too far since my partner got busy but. I still enjoyed the time!

The lights of the series, Yugi and Bakura really needed more screen time. Marik was the only character that really felt fleshed out and wasn't scooted over for his darker half. Yugi is a bit more fleshed out since he is the mc, but he gets really over showed by Yami.

The anime focusing only on the duels and main plot really did a number on all the characters. They're so many neat side stories that built character bonds and I've especially noticed it in the early chapters of the manga. Tristian and Anzu felt like background characters most of time. Yami also felt very different in the early chapters of the manga and season 0, he had this more sadistic approach to justice, and it was Yugi and the gang that slowly humanized him, and he became more heroic. I know every anime fans say this but having an anime that follows the manga more side by side is a lot better.

Kaiba is the only character I will take from any version of Yu-Gi-Oh!, he's just that damn entertaining.

Also, the season 0 movie... coolest adaptation of dueling, no cap. The animation for its time is just- there's a part where Kaiba does an uno reverse on Yami and he says 'Nani?!' and they animate his eyes widening in this really satisfying way. He blinks like he's actually processing the information then they widen as the camera gets closer to his face for this dramatic effect all animated in the span of a few seconds. It was cool and I wish we got more Yami making intense expressions animated really well. Joey also gives Yami a hug and it's great.
I think I can recall being told something about that with Yami’s character in the manga now that you mention it. I’m not sure where but I think I’ve run across that before might haven Kit-Kat/Foxxy Miles from this forum awhile back but can’t recall. Either way, yeah, they could have used more time.

A Kaiba fan hey? Cool. I wasn’t either/or with him personally more neutral with him myself. but had friends back in the day that were Kaiba fans and he did have a lot of popularity.

Nice! That era did have some nice animations and stuff for their time.

Good luck finding a source to watch VRAINS on...I had to use those illegal anime sites. Most streaming services don't have it for some reason. I watched the first episode of VRAINS and read how people dropped it because they thought it was silly. I disagreed immensely, I was intrigued by the tone. And I wasn't disappointed since it introduced me to my two(three?) favorite characters in Yugioh! Oh, and I believe the name you're looking for is 'Yuma'!

For a while, I was iffy about Gong. But as the series went on, I came to respect him as a person and character, so thank you writers.
I actually didn't mention Yuto! (XYZ) I personally didn't like him. ...My brother and I often debate who's better. But in truth, I'm more of a fusion user, and he really LOVES XYZ so we're like oil and water.

I can't say why I dislike Yuto for obvious spoiler reasons. I had to look up the episode you said you were at--And realized you haven't gotten to the bulk of the show yet. Soon, it'll really shine with intensity, so enjoy! Personally, I really loved the dimensions aspect, but they still fricked a few things up with it. This made fans really want more but--Nah. On the bright side, there were positives to the whole thing! I just can't say why because...Spoilers.
Oh? That sucks. I’ve just been using the official YT channel for Yugioh to watch Original through to Arc-V era I did notice this morning though it doesn’t appear to have any episodes past Arc-V though. I’d guess Hulu probably will be even less useful for the older eras. I think Sevens is the current one that shows there. (No idea what that would be like. Saw a brief few moments once of that show and it looks even less like Yugioh to me then I would have guessed. But…. I am a Oldhead pretty much in this series/TCG so, yeah…)

Yuma! That’s right! I can’t believe I forgot that name. Kit & Astral are perhaps the only two names that I recall from Zexal up til the reminder and answer to my blanking on the name for Yuma. Thanks! Vrains produced two out of your top three favorites hey? Nice

I’ve always pretty much been consistently more of a fan of supporting characters then Mains no matter the series except a few rare cases. But Gong, I’ve always liked the characters that come off as unique and can make me laugh or various types of characters such as that. Not always popular or stands out with others but appreciated/favored by me for whatever their respective reasons are. Gong though seems like a solid character while bringing some comic relief at the same time.

Personally too early to tell for me with Yuto. I’m not sure I ever had a favored form of summoning but fusion would fit as a oldhead of Yugioh and what I grew up with although…. I should have paid far more attention to Ritual summons I’m seeing those as more underrated and not utilized enough imo. Although ritual monsters have improved in quality and variety quite a bit since my days as a kid though GX still had some good ones.

But makes sense though between you and your brother.

Appreciated! I’ve taken a slight break from finishing 5D’s and just started Arch-V recently so haven’t gotten too far yet. Zexal I need to finish as well since I only got to episode 12 or 13 a few years back when I first began the Numbers/XZ era. While now I can’t even recall too many names much less what happens in it. Haha. So yeah plenty to catch up on but not too far into V to know for sure what to expect. But I am curious how I’ll end up feeling about all this dimension and different versions of characters based off summoning styles and etc. plus if I’ll have a favorite out of them or favorite characters overall as well.

Awesome! Tough break on the cards and deck. But cool connection with your brothers and the series. Never knew anyone in RL growing up that played MTG so had a distant curiosity but never played or ventured into the game myself. Though it kinda runs right up my alley it seems anyway.

Custom cards hey? That’s cool! Only ever took part in a couple Yugioh rps that were sadly short lived. Under the right circumstances and style in which it was done, it would be kinda cool to see what another one would be like. But yeah pretty cool on the custom cards work. Closest I came wasn’t cards but designing a whole game and Yugioh/Duel Masters inspired fiction/anime of my own some years back before hitting a big wall and smaller obstacles then lost my work and haven’t recalled enough to piece it all back together again and resume where I left off.

I only watched bits and pieces of the original Yugi-oh that’s when it was owned by 4kids. I did see an episode subbed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back