System/Mechanics Yugioh and Other TCG-Type Roleplays, how do you handle drawing chance?

Idea

The Pun Tyrant
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
So this question has been in the back of my head for a while, and since more RPs of this kind seem to have been surfacing lately, I figured I might as well ask now.

For those of you who like to roleplay things like yugioh and other trading card game-based fandoms or just roleplays in general that involve playing card games, how do you handle cars drawing, as in the randomness? On one hand, duels/matches can be way more epic with rigged plays, but I can also see it really taking the fun out of the game.

So, how do you do it? Do you leave it to chance? Use dice? Do you plan out what draws people will have? Do you just anyone draw what they feel like when they feel like it? Some mixture of these?

Thank you and have a great day.

I never play this kind of RP before, but if I'm going to, I think I will prefer to rig my draw. However I might apply some rules to myself, like the draw is reasonable(no starting with 5 Exodia or all the key cards) and setting the purpose of rigging to make the fight more fun instead of to overpower opponent every single match.

I might also discuss the winner with my opponent beforehand to avoid dragging the fight to unnecessary length with unnecessary power-creeping. For me a match or a fight is there to serve the plot, if I want to play a legit card game there's another platform for it beside an RP.

I think when I planned to adapt a card-based game to a rp I was planning to completely bypass the actual card battle phase.

Thinking on how it could really be executed in the rp with text-based rules... Well, I'd probably use a mixture of these.
1. Have 'loadouts' (limited number of possible cards a player can draw). Which wouldn't be as big as the full deck but would still make sense. Loadouts could be suggested by the players and will need to be approved by GM to avoid power creep.
2. Use dice to decide which cards from the loadout the player will draw during the battle phase. For example, let's say loadout is 20 cards so you assign a number to each and throw a d20.

Like this, it would still be possible for the players to use the cards they want but some things would be decided by chance.

However, I feel this might be too complex to work in an actual rp and players would get confused/bored of this. But I'm unsure of how to make it better if you want to keep the randomness factor and the 'draw' phase.

Alternatively, GM can be the 'random' factor and tell players what they drew, but this puts too much weight on GM.

Or could decide the winner in advance and have the players draw and play how they want to reach the decided outcome.

Simply I make a list of all the cards in my deck and I number all my cards and then roll dice whatever numbers come up are the cards I draw and I have repeat numbers I flip a coin, heads I go to the nearest card up the list, tails I go to the nearest card down the list that has not already been drawn or more so is available to be drawn from the deck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back