Video Games Your top favorite roleplaying games?

No.1 for me is the Kingdom Hearts series after a friend got me hooked on the first game. I just find the characters and story interesting and fun. The idea of using a giant key as a weapon is interesting too, especially with the different types of Keyblades. Also the Disney crossover sine I love Disney.

2. Pokemon because it's what I grew up with and I didn't like video games at first till I was given Pokemon as a present so I might not have played a lot more video games if it wasn't for that.

3. Tales of series. They're all really good but Symphonia, Vesperia and Zestiria are my favorites. I like the stories and characters best in these three. Symphonia is also special because it was the first Tales game I played and fell in love with.

- Mass Effect franchise
- Skyrim
- Witcher series.

Can't rank 'em, they're all too good. Been playing them over and over again for many years now.

Space Station 13 is gang AF and probably one of the more complicated games I've ever played, while still being incredibly fun, once you get over the high skill-floor. It's also one of the only games I know where it's basically a society game where every job is handled by real people. It's an experience unlike any other.

Neverwinter Nights - a small group of us played on someone's custom server they hosted online, it was really fun and we built our characters from scratch.

FFXIV - was part of a small free company that made me laugh so much I'll never forget the good times we shared playing that game.

Ocrania of Time and Twilight Princess - Awesome games that I enjoyed playing solo.

Final Fantasy for NES. My gateway drug.

oof I’m late to the party >~> Anyways my favorite RPG’s are skyrim, final fantasy XV Fable 2 and 3, and fallout 4 (even though It’s mostly a shooter)

1: Pokémon.
I grew up with it and never stopped being a fan. Got hooked on the TCG and then my friend introduced me to the games because he was the lucky one who had a game boy. I love, love, love it. And, yeah, I did enjoy sun and moon and do enjoy Sword and Shield. The only games of the series I really disliked were X and Y, sadly, as that first try of implementing 3D and more camera movement just... Nah. I liked the design of the female protagonist, but then it was shrinked into that little blob of color making it hard to even muster up the will to use the customization feature because whatever you did it just got lost in odd the size and proportions of the protagonist. Gotta say though, Sword and Shield managed to make leveling fun! Those raids are fantastic, I love gigadynamax and that darn soundtrack. Especially the forest and the fight against Rose. Yeah, the Dexit was crap, I agree on that, but oh well...

2: Skyrim.
Need to say anything more?
Well yeah it can be hard to really get into the game because it just... Throws you into this vast world without basically telling you anything. I struggled. Died. Struggled again. Had a hard time. And oh I was taught completely new levels of frustration I never expected to even exist.
But I made it! I mean, I'm probably still a noob and know only 1% of what's actually possible, but hey, at least I can shoot lightnings out of my hands and killed a dragon on my own xD.

3: The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the wild.
I definitely spent more time taming horses and hanging on cliffs naked to avoid attracting lightnings than I should.
And there were moments when I was certain everything would be okay just to be ganged up on by five electric lizals, three wizzrobes teleporting after me to electrocute my posterior with agonizing precision PLUS making me drop my ancient bow forged in the fires fueled by my pain and tears spilled fighting those guardians and their nightmare inducing piano solos!! *heavy panting*
But it was really fun!

Last edited:
1. Legend of Zelda, Breath of The Wild has totally blown me away.
2. Octopath Traveler!
3. Pokemon always scores high on my list.

I was given a taste of D&D when I was in the 7th grade, but like most groups it fell apart quickly. Afterwards I was hungry for more immersion. I then realized World of Warcraft had RP servers- that is where I cut my teeth.

#1. WoW taught me the importance of lore, crafting a character that was not lore-breaking, and introduced me to a diverse community of RPers that provided me examples of what I wanted to be like, and what I -definitely- didn't want to be like. Plus being a fan of high fantasy it was a ground environment to craft ideas. I still miss those days when RP/WoW peaked.

#2. D&D provides rules and concepts that allow you to create anything. Literally, your imagination is your only limit.

#3.Elder Scrolls is fun but it can only be so open. Regardless, I've played countless hours on Skyrim/Oblivion

Oh man, it's hard to make a list out of it tbh. I think I'll just have to put out the ones I've loved over the years in a mass list.

I grew up getting into RPG games thanks to the original Mass Effect trilogy. I think that was my first real RPG-adventure kinda game and I loved the fact that I had some choice in what my character said in conversations.

After this, I discovered and became obsessed with Telltale games. I'm actually really saddened how the company fell apart after everything because despite whatever people disliked about the games, they meant a lot to me and I always felt so deeply engaged while playing them.

I think it was sometime after I discovered Telltale games that the first Life is Strange game came out. And when I say I am still obsessed with the game to this day...I mean it. I have replayed the first game so many times, I've lost count. And I can play most of it in my head now haha.

I know I played a good bit of Skyrim here and there, but the bugs in the game had a 50/50 chance of either making me laugh or pissing me off lol. I know I finished the main storyline at some point, but I don't think I ever really managed to finish all of the side quests. I do adore ESO nowadays, but I'm a hoarder in and out of video games, so I dread having to play ESO without a subscription for that mats bag. XD

I have also played Fallout: New Vegas a ton and have had a very hard time getting into any of the new Fallout games ever since that one. I loved that it was purely single-player and I was happy to not have to deal with settlers begging me to come help them with menial tasks every five seconds. >.> I wish they would just make a newer version of Fallout: New Vegas or finally take some clues from their fans and make a new game like how that one was. I personally hate the new obsession with having multiplayer options for every single game.

I'm sure there's more I could add here, but those are the ones that came to mind atm.

1) Final Fantasy 8
2) Final Fantasy 10
3) Skyrim
4) Mass Effect 1, 2, 3
5) Crono Cross
6) Exenosaga

Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2: I love the story of these games. HK-47 though. I love him, he is one of the greatest characters ever but I want him to just shut up. If you've played it you know.

Mass Effect Series: I've played 1-3 all the way through 3 times now and that's a lot for me.

Dragon Age Series: can you tell I'm a fan of Bioware? I love their storytelling, worlds, and characters.

Persona Series: I've played 3 to death. Played a bit of 4 and still need to beat 5 but I love them. I just got distracted by other things with 5 and haven't gotten back to it. I need to do that.

God Eater: These games are amazing. It's like playing an anime version of Monster Hunter with a full blown intriguing story. If you haven't played them do it.

Skyrim: of course. I pop this in sometimes and just wander off to see what I run into. Usually a dragon.

So many others... The Final Fantasies, Horizon Zero Dawn, Borderlands, too many more.

Fable Series: It was the first RPG game I got when I had first got my Xbox for Christmas. I still replay the Lost Chapters and Fable 2 a whole lot. Fable 3 was sort of a downgrade, but it's still fun.

Skyrim: This was the RPG game that introduced me to more open-world genres and I absolutely just loved the freedom it gave. The mods were a huge bonus too!

Space Station 13: This isn't talked about a lot, but it's really fun and chaotic. The game has multiple space stations with individual jobs and roleplay mechanics for each job that no two games are ever the same!

Dark Souls/Bloodborne: The storylines for both series are my favorite and despite how difficult the game was for me, the art and personality in each character really drew me into the world.

Dragon Age is my main RPG, it's a hit or miss series in all honesty but I can't help but love it. It has interesting lore, beautiful art, humor, and fun characters.

1) OG Mass Effect Trilogy. Such a surprise right? I got into it way late, but played it at a time in my life when it really helped me emotionally. Not only is it a really good game series, and the characters are amazing, but it was just the inspiration I needed at the time.

2) Dragon Age. Another surprise! Origins was my first ever Bioware game, and the first game story I got super invested in; up until then, I mostly just played Oblivion, which was fun, but I didn't feel the emotional investment I did with DA: O.

3) World of Warcraft. It was literally my life from late middle school, through high school, and first few years of college. I made some really good friends. I had a lot of fun. Was in an RP guild, so I experienced some great stories and interacted with awesome characters. I miss the days of no responsibility that I was able to dedicate solely to that game, haha.

4) The Witcher 3; this one would be higher on the list if I had some nostalgia to attach to it, because it's the golden standards of RPGs and best one I've ever played, but I'm a sentimental loser, which means it's cursed to stay at this spot, though it belongs at the top.

Okay I’ll try to not let the list get to long.

As far as RPG go my favorite are:
Final Fantasy 6
Lunar 2: Enteral Blue
Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
All the Ar tonelico series games
Tales of Vesperia
Enteral Sonata
Persona 4

Fallout: New Vegas. In terms of writing it's some of the best out there, and I've been meaning to dig into Outer Worlds, but I have no money for a full priced game rn lol

So, a game where you're pretending to be someone you're not.

Honestly that just sounds like me IRL around people that I don't like. I guess that counts as a game?

That, or maybe GTA.

Dark Souls 1, 2 & 3, Fable 2, Kingdoms of Amalur: reckoning, Mass Effect 1, 2 & 3, Final Fantasy 12, final fantasy 10, Borderland 2, Legend of zelda: skyward sword, the elder scrolls: Oblivion, Blue Dragon, Diablo 3, Disgaea, and Dragon’s dogma are all games that have left lasting impressions on me. Don’t think I could rank ‘em though lol

Edit: Forgot to mention Persona 4, Phantasy Star 2 Universe, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, Monster Hunter tri (all of them up to world), Samurai Warriors, Freedom Wars, Okami, and Muramasa: The demon’s blade
... RPGs are a very broad category, now that I think about it.

Last edited:
Dragon Age Series
Mass Effect Series
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
KOTOR (Just recently tried it after years of wanting to try this series. Wish I had a pc for the old republic)

Zelda OfT: I was not much into gaming at all till I got a N64 as a Xmas gift when I was 12ish. I had no idea what gaming really was and started to play random games I could get. Zelda was one of that first RPG that hooked me and all on winter break was playing the shit out of the game for hours to nearly dawn at times. It really opened up my world.

Star Fox: Hmm Star Fox (got me into furries a bit), like Zelda, I got hooked into the game super bad. And it was one of the few games I even got competitive with other players. We kept trying to outscore the other player for WEEKS and I never meet RGH, but I hope em the best!

FFX: Now FFX was my first full-on JRPG that hit me hard! Given I was already a super anime/manga fan, well it made me get hooked even more to those types of RPGs. From the art and graphics, the music hitting all those notes. And the feelings, that bloody game always made me cry at the end of it and still does even now!

Okami: To me, this game is a PURE art of beauty from the in-depth use of Japanese folklore, music, and storytelling. Its just a feast for the player as you run around japan as a wolf goddess of all beings! This game has a unique style that has never been really been at all again sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back