Experiences Your Pride & Joy RP(s)!

Daisie

Strangely regular (better than the usual bizarre!)
Roleplay Type(s)
Heya, folks!

Today I'm here to talk about... well, the reason why a lot of people are here on RpNation. All of us know the grind of taking in RPs only to have them fade away within the first few pages, or even the first post. So that feeling you get when you finally catch onto something absolutely wonderful is the greatest feeling there is! It's what we all strive for, and it's why we love RP as a hobby, in the first place. Here we will be talking about that RP, or multiple RPs. Tell me your time when you hit the RP jackpot - the gold at the end of your rainbow.

For me, it'd have to be a RP I've been running with my best friend on here since the moment we met. Here on RpNation, we used to do mini-RPs all the time in the status updates. Us and our little group of friends would take on personas and act out crazy & wacky adventures with each other, establish arcs, character traits, the whole nine yards. It was really fun and, for the most part, stress free. A few things happened and my friend and I ended up taking our RP offsite, and unbeknownst to RpNation, we've been basically RPing it ever since. That is, we did, until we stopped last year... After all, you can only do so much after ~3 years of RP without ever having a planned ending in sight. It was a rich RP - Demons, alternate dimensions, evil corporations, time travelling, pizza, the works! We had an absolute blast with it... We've lovingly named this RP "Rara Avis" after so many years, and we intend to do a reboot of sorts in the future.

The other one has to be one I have going in PMs right now - no peeking for you! I got lucky with a truly wonderful partner on this one, guys. This RP takes place in the medieval era in a fantasy world where humans and dragons have been at odds for a very long time. So what happens when a particular dragon and a particular human get to work together? High jinks, that's what. High jinks and many exciting adventures. Honestly, this RP has done so much in terms of improving my writing. Every post I make, I'm really trying hard to use interesting metaphors, expand my vocabulary, and try to convey emotion in different ways. It's been really great so far, and I'm excited to see where it goes.

So now! Tell me! What RP(s) do you have going/had in the past that is your absolute pride and joy? Give me something you're proud of!

All were off-site but one of the roleplays I loved the most were with my long time partner. One was called C.O.D and no that does not stand for Call Of Duty. My partner wrote up the first post kind of like a trial let's see where it goes type of thing. So it started with his character returning home to his influential family unwillingly, the family was huge by the way, because the central lead his grandfather had passed. The guy left home as soon as he could as he was somewhat of a black sheep of the family and returned after being contacted by his father-my character. It started with obviously the family gathering to mourn the loss but gradually a mystery unfolded surrounding the grandfather's death that might not have been by natural causes. The story itself spanned over a year with the introduction of new characters, arcs involving the original, and the pressing constant mystery: what happened to the grandfather.
I loved it for the character development, attention to detail, and the world. I still like to look back at it again.

Personally, my current Pokemon rp I've got going on. It's only six pages long and it's the most fun I've had in ages. Project: Sailor (a magical girl rp) is a close second.

I didn't have many rps lately, but I must say that all roleplays I've had here on RPN and a couple of off-site ones I had in the past 2 years were all amazing and I'm happy I was a part of them.

Most of them lasted for a while (some over a year, some are still ongoing). And even the short lived ones were also very fun.

I still haven't really found "The role-play," but currently I have a role-play that I always look forward to. Although it is off-site, maybe I will find "The role-play" here.

I have to give a shoutout to the first RP I started when I came to RP nation (that is still going on strong!). Thanks for SmallSailboat SmallSailboat for taking me in when I had what ? 2 posts ?

The setting is rather mundane, slice of life fantasy, but guys the banter...Anyone who knows me IRL knows I live for it. Pair it up with a really fun OC to write (always cheerful, teasing, making up fake drama in her head then overreacting to it) and I always have a smile on when I write this one. It's silly, it's simple, yet I really love it.

1.All For None and None For All (with SerenityAngel SerenityAngel )
Serenity here was one of the first people to really cooperate with me in terms of planning, which in turn really helped me discover myself and my style as a roleplayer. This RP was one of the ones I had the most fun with at the time, though my interest did come to waver a bit later. Still, it was an RP that I feel really left it's mark, and for while it lasted it was an RP I was truly happy to have.

The story revolved around the lord of a city who goes away from his town and his wife in order to put a stop to the rampage of one of the gods they worship. To do this they end up freeing from confiment the original gods considered the enemies of the current deities, and was given double-edged curses/blessings to defeat the rampaging god. When they return to the city, however, his wife has been made to remarry and pretend her daughter is the new lord's daughter instead.

2.Peace Sign Academia
When I started Peace Sign Academia, I didn't think much of it to be honest. It was a fandom group RP that I thought would just die right away like the rest of'em and just occupy a little bit of a momentary craving, nothing special in the slightest. Boy was I wrong, this RP was one of the biggest turning points in my time as a roleplayer. The successes, mistakes and lessons learned from GMing that RP would come to pose a huge influence on my style of GMing from then on out, and in my general approach to RPing with groups. Up until this point, most of my group RPs had died during the character building phase, so I hadn't really been confronted with the effectiveness of way of making rules and my attitude as a GM. I am most definitely still lacking as a GM, but having had the opportunity to GM such an RP gave me much insight into what I needed to fix, and also what people could appreciate about my way of handling things.

Naturally though, it really helped that I had some utterly amazing players, that one in a million melting pot, but I kept letting players in and eventually if you keep adding ingridients you'll inevitably add a few that just don't go with the rest. Nonetheless, it brought together such great players as yuckeroni yuckeroni and Trombone Trombone , with whom I in fact started another BNHA RP recently. As you can guess from that, yeah, the plot was a BNHA fandom RP pretty typical there's a new hero academy in town getting new heroes for training (in this case a really cheapstake academy).

3.A Bullet Through the Sands (with Melpomene Melpomene )
A great partner who I admired (and still admire) as a writer AND a chance at actually roleplaying in my original world of Euphorium, my most developed world to date? It was pretty great from the onset, but even it only got better with the actual execution. It was also an attempt at doing something I am not really familiar with, but I was quite willing to attempt, western.

The RP took place in a western-inspired part of Euphorium. Inquisitor's character got lured into some ruins with money, where they encounter my character, a vampire who hires them to help her hunt down genies, which in Euphorium are wish-granting devices that grant said wishes by giving an ability to their users.

4.Moves Like Your Livelihood Depends on it (with Ceemuhrie Ceemuhrie )
Ceehmurie has no doubt been one of the best partners I've ever had, and this roleplay has really been a blast as a result. It's funny but also has had some nice drama, it's got planning but still surprises in how it is fleshed out, and it's so very anime too, I just love it with all my heart <3 The one thing I really worry about this roleplay though, is that sometimes I feel like there's not enough focus on Cee's character, that myself and the narrative are putting too much on my character and just not giving hers enough spotlight yet. Still, if the biggest problem with a partner is that you feel like they should be more rewarded, I'd say that's one pretty awesome partner!

Right, right, the plot of this RP. Well, Cee's character has a crush on my character's best friend, so she buys a potion that would make her "the cutest girl in the world". Believing it some kind of drug however, my character drinks it in her stead after they have a fight, leading to my character transforming into a girl in front of her. Without his (now her) family recognizing my character, they seek out Cee's character, who gives up her spot in an incoming idol scouting competition through which my character could find a source of income, and in turn my character will help Cee's hook up with his/her best friend.

5.Tale Of The Fox And the Bat (with Psyche Psyche )
Another great RP with a great partner, I'll keep this one simple because the kinds of things I have to say about this one have already been said, but by no means let that fool you into thinking I appreciate this RP any less! The plot is an isekai RP's where my character's and Psyche's are killed in our world and reincarnate in a fantasy world, which as it turns out is in the middle of a huge war between several factions of otherworlders who, because of their incredily powerful abilities that they are brought to this world with, have let their power get to their head and are attempting to conquer the world from one another.

man, whenever i first started out roleplaying, i gmed this group roleplay that was set in a futuristic apocalyptic world (think the maze runner verse, that was a large source of inspiration for me). it only went on for a few months before a player informed me that they had to drop it, and unfortunately it fizzled out (this was mainly due to me being unsure how to move on the plotline without a main player, and also since i was still very new to roleplaying), but goddamn was that roleplay my favorite thing in the world. i might reboot it someday.

So this one may not truly count as it has yet to be started ~ a project of mine that I had been scheming on and off about for the the past few years. Unfortunately my computer bricked itself after I tried installing some hardware upgrades and thus all my original content is now lost within my old, corrupted and abused hard drive. Currently using my phone and I genuinely take my hat off to those that regularly use them instead of a PC.. Ya'll crazy folk 😋

F

So I've had a on-off relationship with the Payday series of bank robbing, team play and tactics games. I absolutely loved nothing more than playing with some buddies of mine, sneaking around a high security vault and all the meanwhile disguised behind a florescent purple, adult themed mask and brandishing a FN Fal ~ should things turn sideways.

I had always thought to myself "Wouldn't it be fantastic to have a few missions in the UK or Europe?" As the base games were more focused on the typical American bank robberies we see in films and games like Heat and GTA4\5. My interest however began to drop sharply after the newest added heists were becoming more and more surreal, more quirky and moving away from the original game I adored from the beginning.

Since coming onto this site, some months ago now. I have learnt alot about managing roleplays, it's players and it's reliance on active, patient and enthusiastic moderators/GMs to keep things moving in a interesting yet reassuring manner for the playerbase to become familiar with but before I begin ranting about the importance of a great GM ~ let's move on with the story...

So I began brainstorming some ideas for a UK themed bank robbery roleplay, based around London with a small team of professionals ~ each one with reasons to turn to a career of armed robbery beyond the typical clichés of tough boy gangsters and stoic, emotionally unstable gun men. No, I wanted it to be more John Wick or Rainbow Six Siege and less Suicide Squad or something like what Payday is today ~ a mess of edgy, uninteresting characters and dead memes...

I had alot of ideas for progression, in the beginning we'd be rather unknown within London's criminal neighbourhoods and this earning the reputation as successful heisters would be paramount to gaining interest from potential suppliers of stolen firearms, high proformance getaway vehicles and a database of inside guys to allow easier access to restricted areas or help bypassing security.

Each heister had their own facemask to design to distinguish themselves and create a image of how they want the world to view their character. An enforcer to keep the hostages in check, with cable ties, a collaspsable baton and a mask with some BDSM gag across the mouth certainly gets their point across. The Engineer with a worrying case of the crazies who looks for fanciful yet practical ways to get you in and out of a reinforced vault, quicker than you can say: "The drill is jammed, somebody fix it!". All the meanwhile fitting around a pump action shotgun for those close encounters and a typically clown-like mask to scare the very soul out of those trying to stop the heist in it's tracks. etc.. Etc..

i would go on but I'd rather do so in a interest check once ive gathered enough mental energy to reconstruct the various images and prepared content enough to my level of detail and satisfaction.

I have only managed to join and post in one RP on this site so far and its still early days! But I do have some of those epic long-running and exciting and absorbing online RPs that I have loved over the years.

My first long-term RP online started out as a small group but rapidly became a 1x1. My partner and I wrote for this on and off (mainly on) for eight years and got through at least 300,000 words. It was a mythological fantasy story set in Feudal Japan. Our characters were descendants of a goddess, and somehow our story ended up following the classic Campbellian Hero's Journey with trip into the underworld and so forth included. It was pretty amazeballs and actually had what I considered to be a proper ending.

I modded an FMA RP that was awesome and epic for about two/three years-ish(?) but took a gradual then sharp nosedive and I had to walk away from it. This is the RP that put me off GMing for good, lol. But I still consider it a damn fine RP. Most of the characters were members of a terrorist/freedom fighter organisation working to undermine the Bradley dictatorship.

My Bleach 1x1 with my good RP buddy. It saw our characters grow from academy students to captain level, and was some of the most entertaining and funniest RP I've ever had. My character was a thug from the Rukongai, his was a noble and rich merchant. It was such a good laugh. And the character development was so good! At one point it sort of petered out as we started doing other RPs, but I would happily go back to this! (And get my character a bankai finally XD)

My Feudal Japan-esque RP on a Sandbox site. There was a good core of players who were involved in it, plus a lot of subsidiary ones around the edges. It was some of the most absorbing and emotional RP, with betrayal, romance, war, horrible dads, death and inheritance, and just covered pretty much all the bases of what would make a fun as heck RP. By far the most successful group RP I've ever been in, and while I was "in charge" of it, I didn't have to really do any GMing which was ace! It lasted for two years at its peak and has trickled on for another few months after that.

Essentially I think the RPs that are the best are ones where a ton of character development is had, and there is a noticeable story arc that emerges, and also where you can have a good laugh as you go along. Here's to great long-term RPs! Hope everyone who wants one, finds one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back