Video Games Your Most "?????????????" Video Game Moments

Easily Amused

Filthy Casual
We've all had them. Those encounters, whether they be online with real people, or offline with the game's NPCs and questlines. Those special moments that come in like a wrecking ball and leave you with an expression of "?_?" written all over your face.

You may not know how they happened, but they happened, and to this day, you still find yourself in awe that it even happened at all.

We've all had them, so why not share them? I'll start it off.

The game is Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. The raid boss we were fighting has a mechanic where the party must jump onto its back to escape the nuclear explosion on the platform, then preform a simple quicktime event to jump off the boss and back onto the main platform (literally press ANY BUTTON to jump off). If one does not jump off within three long, arduous seconds, the player will be knocked into the abyss by the boss.

Easy, right? Press ANY BUTTON to live.

Two other people and I jumped off as soon as we were allowed to... and were left to watch as the rest of our party, a staggering FIVE PEOPLE (both our tanks, one healer, and two DPS), failed to get off in time and fell to their doom. ?_?

When asked about it after the inevitable raid wipe, the guilty party admitted to playing CHICKEN with the mechanic, and the person who jumped off last would win 100k from the other players in the betting pool.

If anyone here is a CS:GO player, you all will understand what being "CS:GO'd" is and oh lawd it's happened to me several times. But the first time it happened to me and I was like "WHAT THE ABSOLUTE HELL?!" was when we were on Dust II and I snuck my way through A Doors to sneak up on the awper in pit (I was CT btw) and when I about 6-7 feet away from them I shot them once in the head with an AK i had recently picked. Yeah the hit boxes didn't register and the dude whipped around and shot me in the testicles with his awp ;-;. I was furious, left the game, didn't play for a week XD

Playing Halo: CE Anniversary.
Apparently it's somewhat common for the weapons to be forced into the walls, start spiraling, and begin looping the sound effect for dropping the weapon really quickly.
Has happened multiple times.

If anyone here is a CS:GO player, you all will understand what being "CS:GO'd" is and oh lawd it's happened to me several times. But the first time it happened to me and I was like "WHAT THE ABSOLUTE HELL?!" was when we were on Dust II and I snuck my way through A Doors to sneak up on the awper in pit (I was CT btw) and when I about 6-7 feet away from them I shot them once in the head with an AK i had recently picked. Yeah the hit boxes didn't register and the dude whipped around and shot me in the testicles with his awp ;-;. I was furious, left the game, didn't play for a week XD

Oh, like how some guy was bunny hopping around the map with a sawed-off shotgun and managed to HEAD SHOT ME from halfway down mid? Like that?

(I both love and hate that game, and when I'm feeling especially childish, I even turn on voice chat)

While playing Ace Combat 4 with my cousin, I decided to see what mattered more in the game; skill or tech. We started a deathmatch, and he naturally picked the best jet fighter in the game, while I selected the starter plane.

All planes start with standard air to air missiles with limited tracking and a machine gun. You can then select from a set of secondary weapons assigned to each plane. My cousin picked what basically amounted to a set it and forget it missile. Once it had a lock, there was no shaking it unless you could somehow trick the missile into hitting the ground. Not only do these missiles track way better than the standard, they have a way better lock on range.

My only option was a payload of unguided bombs.

We played 3 rounds. The first two went as you might expect. I could still outfly him, but that didnt make much difference when he was sending a steady stream of very stubborn death my way.

On a hunch, at the start of round 3, I went into a steep climb. I'd spawned behind him, so it took a couple of seconds for him to realize where I was and start following. I climbed until my plane stalled and flipped into a dive, then switched over to my bombs. I lined him up at the center of the reticle, and dropped everything in a tight spiral pattern. He shot me down about a second later. I didn't try to run. I couldn't if I wanted my idea to work.

My cousin jumps up, so excited. He's pumping his fists, he's shouting happily, and then I hear "WHAT THE F@#& IS THAT?!"

I looked at his screen to see his jet engulfed in a black hail storm as my bombs rained around him. In a panic, he tried to turn, but his wing got clipped and he exploded. Honestly, if he'd have just sat still, they would have probably all missed him.

Honestly, if he'd have just sat still, they would have probably all missed him.

I hate it when I die and have that realization as I'm staring at the respawn screen. Jumping into someone's scope (or shotgun spray, that one was really unfortunate) is probably the most embarrassing way to die.

Speaking of embarrassing ways to die, I have another one. Back to Final Fantasy XIV!

For the Dragoon class, there's a skill called Elusive Jump that's meant to be a dodge function of sorts, as it launches your character 15 yards behind them, no matter what direction they're facing. What a handy dandy skill, right? Unfortunately, it looks KIND OF similar to the other Dragoon "jump" skills, which are gap closers and whatnot, and I may have fat-fingered it while on a teeny tiny boss platform, sending me backflipping off the edge and into the abyss...

Good times.

Getting trapped in a doorway and downed by a zombie in Kino (Not that remastered crap, I'm talking about the bona fide original in BLOPS1.). Physics are absolutely garbage.

I was playing Glitcher 3 this afternoon and I walk into this super dark cave, find a rock troll, and he kills me with one hit.
I reload my save, only to find out he wasn't actually supposed to hit me. I was supposed to talk to him.
What?

I was playing Glitcher 3 this afternoon and I walk into this super dark cave, find a rock troll, and he kills me with one hit.
I reload my save, only to find out he wasn't actually supposed to hit me. I was supposed to talk to him.
What?

Good old Glass Legs Geralt... or maybe it's Glass Ribs, too?

In the game Wet, after the truck explosion on the bridge whatever the main character's name was flew in the air and continued flying.

Face McShooty from Borderlands 2. Literally just a psychopath screaming at you to shoot him in the face, and when you finally do, he screams thank you as he goes down. Did I mention that this is also a fully fledged, XP giving quest?

double KO in a fighting game, where my opponent and I were playing the same character. That's.. rare. But it was funny.

Getting hit by my own torpedo whilst dive-bombing in War Thunder. I no longer play the Stuka on naval maps.

1b souls on you, sprinting your way to the bonfire with low hp and no estus left, you get hit by an arrow in a tough part of the game yet manage to survive, then suddenly fall through ground because of some bug with the stagger animation and are wondering what you're supposed to do now.

that moment in Undetale when Flowey goes all berserk on your @$$. I was like WTF?

That moment in Borderlands 2 when Handsome Jack is telling you about a guy who brings a spoon to a fight, and you have to listen to how much Jack enjoyed scooping out his eyeballs... "The moral is: you're a total bitch."

The very first time an npc started air swimming in Skyrim. Also Skyrim related, leaving my game unpaused and being pushed below the map by npcs he was apparently blocking. I had just come back to notice the character was stuck under Riften before he suddenly fell to his death, even though he was swimming.

Playing Bayonetta
I think that says it all to be honest. Still one of my favourite games, and I like to have unsuspecting people play it too to see their reactions

Final Fantasy 8 first disc out of four after beating a somewhat miniboss in the game (i am still on the first disc for gods sake) there is this cutscene entered.............lets say that cutscene changed alot of life for me and it was ending for first disc than insert second disc message came but I was shocked in front of TV and couldn't move a good 10 minutes than stand up get into kitchen for a glass of water than returned and put second disc to continue game.

OK, it's hard to pull one out of all the times my games have gone ape-shit. I'll go with an oldie. I used to play the hell out of a Transformers game on the PS2. One day, and I don't know why, I decided to try to transform on top of this piece of construction equipment. As soon as Bumblebee (the character you play as in most of the game) turned to his car form the equipment launched upward, taking Bumblebee up with it. Lets just say the sounds made resembled a car being tossed in a giant blender. As he was in air he hit at least two helicopters, 3 taller buildings, and when he hit the ground he went tumbling for about another two blocks extremely fast.

I was playing Skyrim, and for those of you who know, or have gotten far enough. I was lucky enough to find Barbas. The dog's sitting there, I'm listening to him speak to complete the quest of finding him. And this horse, this fucking white horse just zips around the screen, in the sky, inside a mountain, through trees. This horse died from slamming on the ground, and it's bloody corpse just zipped past me and back in the sky again. My face, was beyond in awe and shock, I wasn't even laughing as hard as I am now typing this post. And to put the icing on top of the cake, this horse landed right in the middle of Barbas and I, just a white, horsey corpse with a saddle.

My game didn't crash, and my game saved. And ever since then, the horse corpse hasn't de-spawned. Anytime I come back to Falkreath, or the trails around it. That horse corpse is still there on my character's profile.

That was probably the most confusing glitch I had ever seen in Skyrim.

Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

I was playing Skyrim with Serana as my follower and she just disappeared one day. The strange thing was that when I fought, her ice spikes would be seen sticking out of the corpses of enemies. So she was gone, but still there somehow? Then one day I returned to Fort Dawnguard and she was there. She murdered my dog and started attacking me.
I couldn't figure out what went on there.

Online huh or offline...

well as i was playing red read redemption (long ago) i was hunting for animals and such but oddly i dint see any and it was silent, till i see this creepy old man flapping his arms flying to the sky as he made crow sounds????, i see this creepy woman with limbs stretch out and just look like spaghetti! and it charge at me like some horror movie being posses by a demon or something making lion sounds out of all things! I don't know what in the world was going on and just laugh it off...till i discover i was not the first to experience this "Manimal's"...i will never forget.

As of online, was playing some battlefield one, and i was with the masses trying to capture C point from the dreaded red team, as we battled, victory was assured, yet i have not seen a single enemy vehicle and as we capture C a few seconds later i get killed by a tank, nothing weird there till it zooms towards who killed me...and all i see is this plane with two small tanks inside its wings as it went crazy flying over point C shooting bullets and raining shells on us, and i am just sitting there wondering, "How..." i search and it seems this was not the first time it happen this advance technology is used....man WW1 was weird...

Two words: Dwarf Fortress.

If you know what Dwarf Fortress is, then I don't have to say anything else. But for those of you who don't know, let me tell you now what it is. It is the most complicated game ever made. There are two main game modes, fortress mode is the big one where you control a fortress of dwarves, and adventure mode is the one where you play as an awesome action hero in the world you are in. But where the game gets interesting is when combat inevitably happens, because Dwarf Fortress doesn't have health bars. Instead, any attack can aim towards any body part, and depending on your luck, this can end up having a random duck slashing out the throat of your epic 10+ hour surviving adventurer.

This can become even more hilarious because of how the game treats certain creatures like undead. They don't ever seem to die. I have had entire fortresses spend literal in game weeks, no joke, WEEKS, punching a single severed horse head until it inevitably explodes into gore.

I can't name any one moment where I thought, "wait what?" because it has happened to much. When the game takes into account so many things, such as the relationships your dwarves have with every other dwarf, the thoughts and emotions of your dwarves, how much alcohol they have had, how often they have seen the sun, and in future builds, an actual simulated economy... it ends with every player having their own story about something weird that has happened.

If I had to name one time in particular something weird happened that freaked me out, the trophy would have to go to the time that I was just casually roaming my world and just happened upon a town entirely full of zombies. Everyone their had been killed and reanimated, but never left and just sat there waiting for an unexpected guest such as myself to come along and get ripped to pieces. That was fun :ghostv:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back