Other Your guilty pleasure series?

PhoenixMire

ᛚᚨᚦᚢ:ᚹᛁᛞᚢᛉ:ᛖᚱᚦᛟ
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Is there a series (whether it's a book, TV show, movie, whatever) that you enjoy, despite feeling like you really shouldn't?

For me it's Tokyo Ghoul. I really don't mean to offend anyone by saying this, but I personally don't think it's well-written. And yet I still enjoy it anyway. Maybe it's because I found some parts to be so over-the-top edgy that they were hilarious, or maybe it's because it feels weirdly nostalgic to me. I didn't read it as a kid, but it's the exact type of series I think I would have adored as an edgy 13/14 year old.

So what series are your guilty pleasures?

A lot of older Shojo anime with Fruits Basket being the biggest one probably. They're just so cheesy but they're also the cutest things and I can't help but love them. I got so excited when I saw fruits basket was getting a reboot recently lmao

Desperate Housewives. I love the series, but I'm a thiety(ish) year old man.

This is probably the one entertainment thing me and my mum have in common. Albeit, it ended years ago, but I have been enjoying it a lot when it was on. Might rewatch it as th matter of fact. What did you do, Potato!

Last edited:
Desperate Housewives. I love the series, but I'm a thiety(ish) year old man.

This is probably the one entertainment thing me and my mum have in common. Albeit, it ended years ago, but I have been enjoying it a lot when it was on. Might rewatch it as th matter of fact. What did you do, Potato!
Lol, watch it proudly! I’ve never seen it but hey, I believe people should be able to enjoy what they want

House. Medical dramas are great, but House is on a whole other level. I stopped watching TV years ago, but I do watch shows on occasion if I like the sound of them.

Dynasty Warriors and similar type of hack and slash games. When you run around killing hordes of mindless enemies. Story? What story? Running around through hordes is fun!
Ummm... stress relief? Maybe? Dynasty Warriors had good character designs at least! Or something. Yeah. 😳

For anime, it is definitely Guilty Crown. I mean, looking back on it, it's not a particularly great series and completely messed up their own second season but I just watched it at a weird time in my life and years later, I still enjoy watching it. It also introduced me to Sawano's music so that's a positive.

For books, I bought some shitty local ones that were just taken from shitty Wattpad stories because...I liked the cover art. XD I didn't actually read half of those things I bought and they're just sitting in a shelf somewhere.

For anime, it is definitely Guilty Crown. I mean, looking back on it, it's not a particularly great series and completely messed up their own second season but I just watched it at a weird time in my life and years later, I still enjoy watching it. It also introduced me to Sawano's music so that's a positive.

For books, I bought some shitty local ones that were just taken from shitty Wattpad stories because...I liked the cover art. XD I didn't actually read half of those things I bought and they're just sitting in a shelf somewhere.
Hiroyuki Sawano's music is amazing!

deep breath

Love Live School Idol Project. I wish I could say BanG Dream but at least for BanG Dream, I can say that I like the bands. But idols? School idols? High school girls dancing around in frilly outfits and singing songs about love (and that one LOVELESS WORLD thing they did)?

...I'm not proud.

For me, Zombieland Saga, for a lot of the same reasons as above. I listen to a lot of very different music, Joy Division, and Aphex Twin and the like, and yet I still find something like Tokkou Dance unironically enjoyable. It's weird.

Dynasty Warriors and similar type of hack and slash games. When you run around killing hordes of mindless enemies. Story? What story? Running around through hordes is fun!
Ummm... stress relief? Maybe? Dynasty Warriors had good character designs at least! Or something. Yeah. 😳

The warriors series was always my go to and something I hold dear as well, killing thousands of people while also making the three kingdoms and sengoku era I guess fun. Especially having so many characters to root for

Rosario X Vampire; it was the first anime I ever watch in earnest and satisfied all of my puberty-ridden urges as a youngster. I refuse to rewatch it, though I have fond memories of it for some ridiculous reason, as I know I would hate it now as I have experienced true works of art like Berserk and Legend of Galactic Heroes. Plus it is generally a dumb anime with nothing but fan service.

Brothers Conflict, definitely... I don't know why I love the opening and ending so bad, or why I keep rewatching it, but y'know...

On that same strain is Uta no Prince-Sama, which has nothing at all to do with animated pretty men dancing... >_>

Most otome anime adaptions are my guilty pleasure. They are usually horribly adapted and disorganized, but I just love seeing characters I've come to enjoy being brought to life.

For example, Kamigami no Asobi was unnaturally bad, but the characters' songs SLAPPED and the animation was pretty good.

It's totally Monster Musume for me. I prolly shouldn't like it, but the romantic in me just wants to have someone who cares that much for me; Nonetheless several xD.

For me, it's RWBY. I'll criticize the storytelling (and animation... and voice acting... and...) all day long, but are the combat mechanics cool? Did I see promise in volumes 1 and 2? Am I going to RP it whenever I get the chance? Yes, yes, yes.

Probably The Office. I normally don’t watch sitcoms because the plots and characters are predictable, but this one just really grew on me. XD

Back in my last year of college all us guys in the apartment got hooked on The Great British Baking Show for a bit; we took our sides as to which baker to root for, and would trash talk and troll each other’s choices throughout the episodes. Same with the Ninja Warrior show or whatever it was called. Good times.

Back in my last year of college all us guys in the apartment got hooked on The Great British Baking Show for a bit; we took our sides as to which baker to root for, and would trash talk and troll each other’s choices throughout the episodes. Same with the Ninja Warrior show or whatever it was called. Good times.
Ahaha that's incredible
I haven't watched The Great British Baking Show, but I absolutely love the mental image of a bunch of college guys sitting around rooting for their favorite baker lol

I love the Great British Baking Show . . . and the one I wish wasn't discontinued was The Great Pottery Throw Down, I loved that show it was so fun and inspiring. My mom and I watched the shit out of the seasons they do have. To bad it didn't get the same ratings as the baking show.

Didn’t know there was a pottery one. As far as the Baking Show, most of us were rooting for Martha at first, because she was about our age lol.

I highly recommend it. There are about 3 seasons and they are all delightful. The male host of the show is such a sweetheart, he feels so passionately for pottery and ever time he cries over someones art I just melt. He makes me emotional watching because he is SO PASSIONATE AND LOVING it's just so nice to see hosts who are kind, loving and care so deeply for everyone's pottery.

I think in general that is what I love about the British competitive shows the hosts are passionate, kind and encouraging and it's really about the art of the contestants and isn't so showy.

I also REALLY, REALLY love the absolutely pants off of the "Landscape Artist of the Year" show. Inspired me to do landscapes again!

I never would've imagined crying over pottery I guess...reminds me of the Star Wars trailer reaction video that's been memed lately, with the dude crying over sand being shown on the screen lol.

I mean I saw the video and I disagree . . . but hey shame / cringe culture is a thing.

But yes, I guess I appreciate his passion for his art of pottery enduring, heartwarming and I wish more people were as loving for their passions as my favorite pottery host and Star Wars trailer guy.

Well to me, there’s emotion, and then there’s emotion. I own that I’ll practically bawl while listening to some songs. Won’t list them all, but for instance “And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda” by Liam Clancy or “Son of God” by Tim Eriksen can leave me in tearful awe (and on the last one, I’m not even particularly Christian!). Pottery craftsmanship and Star Wars never struck me as the sort of thing to have a significant emotional event over although general appreciation and passion for them is obviously fantastic...well this isn’t the point of the thread anyways, we’ll probably have to agree to disagree :)

𝐨𝐡 𝐦𝐚𝐧...𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐢𝐭 𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐝 𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐛𝐥𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢'𝐦 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐧 𝐮𝐩 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐢𝐭, 𝐯𝐨𝐥𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐧: 𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝐝𝐞𝐟𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭

Wake Up Girls!, it's a idol anime with.. iffy production values that I think flew under a lot of people's radars, directed by that one dude who made four episodes of Lucky Star before promptly getting fired (probably because the biggest plot point in Lucky Star's first episode was "what's the right way to eat a choco cornet?") . It's sort of weird as an idol anime; it isn't that flashy and it's about a near-bankrupt entertainment agency in the Japanese countryside trying to make a idol group, and it's one of the few shows to actually reference the seedier aspects of the industry, which I found kinda interesting. It's just like.. a mildly okay, toned-down idol anime, but for some reason I love it??? And I don't know why I like it so much?? So I guess it counts-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back