Anime & Manga Your first EVER anime! ^^

Sakura? Who is that?

Surely you must mean Sasuke's little cheerleader?

Honestly, I'm one of those guys that just can't stand her. I don't like Hinata for the same reasons. Female leads whose primary characteristic is that they love a male lead (like, a lot) just don't do it for me.

I'd get down with Tsunade or Temari way before I even bothered to look twice at Hinata or Sakura.

Sakura? Who is that?

Surely you must mean Sasuke's little cheerleader?

Honestly, I'm one of those guys that just can't stand her. I don't like Hinata for the same reasons. Female leads whose primary characteristic is that they love a male lead (like, a lot) just don't do it for me.

I'd get down with Tsunade or Temari way before I even bothered to look twice at Hinata or Sakura.
Okay while I’m not the biggest naruto fan I still understand the growth some characters went through. Sakura managed to catch up to the point where she wasn’t a hinderance to fight along side with (not saying she’s as strong as them) naruto and sasuke. Her healing is why some characters are still alive, she took on a member of the atsuki (excuse if the spelling is wrong sorry), was able to help in the final big bad, she mastered Tsunade technique, and was the reason sasuke wasn’t lost on the weird dessert area in the final fight (with obitos help but he needed her so ye). Sure there’s other characters more impressive but that doesn’t mean to forget what was done just cause they’re a female lead

Okay while I’m not the biggest naruto fan I still understand the growth some characters went through.
I won't pretend to know more than I do about the show - I didn't get much farther than the chunin exams.

I have however, looked up some youtube videos about the plot and the abridged storyline, and while I have no doubt that Sakura increases in complexity over that time, in the videos it still just shows her pining away after Sasuke right up until they become adults... and they get married? Even though Sasuke is clearly a huge asshole at that point?

I won't pretend to know more than I do about the show - I didn't get much farther than the chunin exams.

I have however, looked up some youtube videos about the plot and the abridged storyline, and while I have no doubt that Sakura increases in complexity over that time, in the videos it still just shows her pining away after Sasuke right up until they become adults... and they get married? Even though Sasuke is clearly a huge asshole at that point?
If you don’t really know a show fully can you really judge the character as a whole my dude?

Abridged version is nothing to go off so shouldn’t be included really. There’s literally a part where she plans to kill sasuke because he’s a traitor though she’s nowhere near skilled enough. Yeah she does simp for sasuke he also ends up acknowledging her in it. As for the asshole part he grows out of it and that’s more when they get married if that helps. You’re open to your own opinions I just figured it’s best not to ignore what people have done to grow and stuff

I don’t mind her too much myself but I do think people shit on her far too much and say she’s weak and ignore any growth she has
Yeah, they act like she doesn't get any character development at all. Granted, she isn't the most powerful or strong character in the series, but she isn't as useless as people make her out to be.

Just because a character displays growth doesn't mean their character is good. Viscount Raoul de Chagny from 'The Phantom of the Opera' is a great example.

He grows a bit. Still boring and awful.

Discounting Pokemon or Digimon ... ?
Then I'm pretty sure Sailor Moon and Shaman King were my first animes ..
Don't remember which one I watched first so, just tossing both out there I suppose.

I watched it as a eight or so year old kid and then again as an adult, this time the subbed version. Shit gets dark when the censors don't get their cuts on.
Legitimately though, I did not realize how dark this anime actually got until I revisited the subs last year.
I mean I love it even more now but wow, that 4kids dub sure left a lot out.

Aldnoah.Zero was... Pretty decent back in the day, but that was a long time ago and I hardly watch TV in general nowadays. On the flip side, one or some of the characters may have inspired some of my own in a way, but I'll leave it ambiguous as to whom in particular.

Not sure if it was my first, but I remember hurrying home from school to watch Transformers everyday when I was kid. I even recorded it. I found the VHS tapes in a box in the basement a few years ago and rewatching that stuff was super nostalgic. Sure, you can find the episodes online or on DVD or whatever, but seeing it exactly as it was, with the old commercials and transitions and such, really took me back.

But back then, it was just "cartoons" to me. I don't think I awakened to the word "anime" until the Toonami era came around and they hit us with stuff like Gundam Wing, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Sailor Moon, Outlaw Star, Dragon Ball Z, etc. You can probably thank Cartoon Network for a lot of today's weebs, haha.

My first anime was Boku no Hero Academia. I hyperfixated on that for a while, and then spread my love for 2D animated people to Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, Attack on Titan, and Yuri on Ice.

First anime or first anime that I knew was anime? First anime I saw was Voltron in the 80s. The first anime that I knew was anime was Mobile Suit Gundam Wing.

If Pokemon or Digimon count, then those. If they don't, then Dragonball Z. Didn't know it was an anime though. First anime I watched while knowing it was an anime was Inuyasha.

Angel Beats, I cried ever so gleefully when the credits finally rolled and I could step outside and remove the dread from my heart.

1st anime I ever saw was love Hina. 1st I ever watched to completion was Elfin Lied, that was like a month after I saw a couple of episodes of Love Hina (which I thought was immensely dumb)

...Love Hina (which I thought was immensely dumb)
I felt the same way. I've given it some thought and I honestly think it's a cultural thing that I can't get past. I don't really understand the concept of needing to behave in a formal way around girls or being unable to express myself.

Maybe if I grew up in a really formal culture I'd find Love Hina more compelling, or maybe even if I were just a shy person. But nope. Just seems ridiculous to me. SAY WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND KIETARO YOU FUCKING IDIOT.

I think I mainly disliked it for using/inventing some of the most hated cliches in harem manga and anime, most of the characters being jerk asses, or for constantly playing what looks like domestic abuse for laughs.

Oh wow, throwback to Sailor Moon times...! Though the dub was horrible I've judged now that I watched it subbed a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back