Anime & Manga Your first EVER anime! ^^

my first anime was lost song on netflix, first manga was tokyo mew mew omnibus.
both of them are great and i would recommend checking them out.

Well, as a kid I did watch a couple of Pokemon episodes, but not much to be honest. I watched more Sonic X, but mostly just because Sonic games were my childhood, and I thought it was cool that there was a TV show where my favorite videogame characters appeared. As a teen I watched a few episodes of Kirby Right Back at Ya, but mostly for the same reason I watched Sonic X: It was a show with Kirby in it, and at that time I had started getting into Kirby games.

The first anime I watched was actually a very old one. You see, my mom used to tell me and my siblings stories about when she was a kid, and she said she watched a show called Candy Candy. Well, the thing is, we found it online, and we watched it together with her. Turns out it's actually an anime, one that was released in the 70s. It was very different from everything I had watched at the time, and I found it interesting. It's realistic and down-to-earth, without any fantasy elements, it just tells the story of a girl that grew up in an orphanage and got adopted by a rich family, though she wasn't very well treated there. She gets sent to a boarding school, and well, she makes friends along the way, she becomes a nurse, etc. It was the first anime I watched completely, it's a bit over 100 episodes, but it's a good story. I liked it.

But aside from that, for most of my life, anime is something I just never watched. Until very recently, about late 2020, I avoided anime because there's many that are violent or have inappropiate content. I may be 20 years old, but I still don't enjoy watching anything that isn't very family friendly. My rule is that if it's something I wouldn't show to my younger siblings, I won't watch it.

But recently I got interested in the genre, and went to look for family friendly animes that I could watch. And that's where I encountered what felt like it was my first anime, and that was Shinryaku! Ika Musume, or Squid Girl. To this day it still stands as my favorite anime. It's a typical comedy, slice-of-life anime that's a lot of fun to watch. The premise is that Squid Girl, or Ika Musume, is a girl with squid-like abilities that comes from the ocean. She comes on to dry land to take over humanity as punishment for them polluting the ocean. However, when she breaks a hole in a small restaurant by the coast, she finds herself forced to work as a waitress there to pay her debt to the restaurant. The anime is all about the different misadventures Squid Girl lives as she learns about human culture, develops friendships with the people around her, and adapts to her new life on dry land. My favorite anime of them all, and while I did watch animes before this one, I feel like this one was my initiation into the world of anime.

There were so many that peppered my early life that I cannot remember which came first:

- Pokemon

- Dragon Ball

- Dragon Ball Z

- Inuyasha

- Yu Yu Hakusho

- Sailor Moon

Well, as a kid I did watch a couple of Pokemon episodes, but not much to be honest. I watched more Sonic X, but mostly just because Sonic games were my childhood, and I thought it was cool that there was a TV show where my favorite videogame characters appeared. As a teen I watched a few episodes of Kirby Right Back at Ya, but mostly for the same reason I watched Sonic X: It was a show with Kirby in it, and at that time I had started getting into Kirby games.
!! Kirby anime clips on YouTube were one of my first exposures to anime. I was enthralled there was a Kirby show.

Everyone's saying Pokemon-- any zoomers remember the Diamond/Pearl Pokemon contests? I stand by the contest battles being the best part of the Pokemon anime. My girl Zoe showed up on all of them.

as a very young child my older brother made me watch: all of the digimons, pokemon, and dragon ball + dragon ball z

I wouldn't totally count Pokemon in my case. I'd have it running on the TV in the background all the time when I was 7, but even to this day, have never actually sat down to watch any of it apart from a couple of the movies. (The TCG and the faint familiarity with the anime did still entice me to get into the video games in elementary school, though.)

The first anime that I consciously decided to watch was probably Keroro Gunsou.

Mine was Naruto as well! Because our tv station airs it every 5pm back when i was in 1st grade and i always watch it after doing my homeworks. I remember always excitedly waiting for it lol

I found out years after the fact that my first anime was Heidi, which I watched with my greataunt when I was little. Case closed was the one I ran home from school for so I could catch the episodes before my mom came home from work.
The first one I consciously watched knowing it's anime was Fullmetal Alchemist (2003), however.

Probably Pokemon? Though I don't really think that should count. I would say my first real anime was Inuyasha. I watched it on CD. I absolutely loved it. I was just sad the show had been abandoned.

Probably Pokemon? Though I don't really think that should count. I would say my first real anime was Inuyasha. I watched it on CD. I absolutely loved it. I was just sad the show had been abandoned.
Why do you think Pokemon shouldn't count tho? It's still an anime (Like Digimon too)

Why do you think Pokemon shouldn't count tho? It's still an anime (Like Digimon too)
Dunno. Mainly because it was like any other cartoon on television, and I didn't choose it. It was just on TV. I chose Inuyasha. I knew it was anime. When I think of anime, although I like Pokemon, I don't think of it when I go searching for anime. I think of it when I think cartoons.

I think mine was "Last Exile" which is a short series about big airships that soldiers line up on and fire muskets at one another like in the American civil war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back