Other Your favorite wikipedia pages?

MDL

RIP Doctor Calgori (2012-2017)
I have the habit of browsing Wikipedia and bookmarking fascinating pages, usually historical. I was looking at a top list of historical serial killers yesterday, ranked by body-count. To my personal surprise, a lot of them were women. And it just made me realize what kind of crazy, messed up shit could go down in our past history. Anybody else got a collection of bookmarks like this? Any specific stuff you like to look at on the wiki?

Wow. That's a really juicy one. Never heard of that before. Reminds you of the Christmas football in no man's land during WWI. Incredible story.

Definitely--it's not called 'the strangest battle of WWII' for nothing! It was definitely popularized by the "The Last Battle" by Sabaton -

So for another other historical page (because I love history) I actually read this one. It was for the sake of historical accuracy in a story I was writing at the time: The History of Paper

And this was for fun: Moonshine - I learned that a woman, Maggie Bailey was distilling shine in Harlan County, Kentucky at one point!

In the deep dark hills of eastern Kentucky,
That's the place where I trace my bloodline,
And its there that I read on a hillside gravestone:
"You'll never leave Harlan alive."

Where the sun comes up,
About 10 in the morning
And the sun goes down,
About 3 in the day.
And you fill your cup
With whatever bitter brew you're drinking,
And you spend your life digging coal,
From the bottom of your grave...
You'll never leave Harlan alive....

I have five interesting pages.

1. An island the Canadians and Danish have been "fighting" over.
2. The core of what would have been the third nuclear bomb to be used against the Japanese if they didn't surrender in WW2.
3. A WW1 soldier whose nickname was Soldier Millions
4. One of three dentists to receive the American Medal of Honor.
"the man who single-handedly saved the world from nuclear war"

Wow that's a great page! I was initially drawn to it because of this wikiwand url which I thought was like a magic wiki or something first. But then I checked the extension and have begun to use it. Really neat! Are there any features about the extension that you like or just the way it looks?

Wow that's a great page! I was initially drawn to it because of this wikiwand url which I thought was like a magic wiki or something first. But then I checked the extension and have begun to use it. Really neat! Are there any features about the extension that you like or just the way it looks?
Mostly the looks. The extension comes with night mode, and the larger font size is easier on my eyes.

I think I'll just have the watch feature permanently enabled on this, it's almost a good a source on interesting trivia that I will probably never need to use as the Ripley's Believe It or Not books. Also here's an article on Churchill's Secret Army.
Yeah it's pretty fun.

I think the collection pages are the best.
Like this one:

Behold the closest we will ever get to a real Atlantis, Doggerland. Perhaps one of my favourite areas to read about. The British Isles, Coastal France and the Netherlands of today were once just the highlands and mountains of Doggerland.

This is a good one. It's a thought experiment of time travel logic. Really bends the mind :)

I am a simple girl.

Yea, pretty much all of the humorous ones.

Also, hi. The cottage I’m vacationing at has WiFi I was only informed of after I made my absence thread.

Last edited:
I am a simple girl.

Yea, pretty much all of the humorous ones.

Also, hi. The cottage I’m vacationing at has WiFi I was only informed of after I made my absence thread.
Wow. These are awesome. I never knew you were allowed to be funny on Wikipedia :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back