• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Your Beauty Never Scared Me

The summer came to an end soon after. It was autumn now and everyone preparing for the winter months. With the 'death' of Enjolras sparking a new fire under the rebels, they had finally made ground and were that much closer to over throwing the monarch. Supplies were still scarce, but not as badly as before. Maxine sat in the room giving a small smile at her husband who laid on the bed resting. He was finally getting better, not nearly 100% but the fever and infection had left his system thankfully.

Aaron was in hiding by this point. The soldiers had gotten word of his wereabouts in the city and were currently hunting him. He could get away with fighting, it was such chaos that they couldn't find him. But in the lower times, he had to keep himself hidden. They had upped his bounty and he was scared that even his fellow men may betray him. He planned on leaving though, with Enjolras getting better, he would be soon ready to fight. This meant he could run off and take time away with Carmen for the winter. With how things had been, he knew she would not be able to handle a winter in their living conditions.

She had been desperately trying to fit in. Since Aaron had left to go back she had been scared out of her wits. Her mind constantly running through all the possibilities but when they got occasional word that they were safe it would help for a time. She was rooting through the boxes one of the women had pointed her to currently, trying to find the thread to make repairs on clothes. That had been one thing she could do well and the only thing the others seemed to like her doing but she paused when she pulled out a small doll, smiling at it a little, it was identical to one she had had back at home. She jumped a little though hearing Maxine’s harsh voice behind her, almost dropping the toy.

Enjolras was getting there. Itching to get back to Paris and finish the work he’d started, wanting desperately to be there with his men but his wife wouldn’t allow it her he knew that much. He sat up a little, rubbing at his face and getting up carefully to make his way outside so he could relieve himself, still wobbly on his feet and occasionally unable to get out of bed at all but it was certainly better than it had been

Maxine went to get a spare cloth when she walked in seeing Carmen holding her daughter's doll. "Put that down, NOW." she said harshly. She had been fed up with Carmen ever since the night she had yelled at her. Always wanting to know when they would eat, barely cleaning or helping the others. She knew the girl didn't grow up like them but she had hoped that maybe she would've learned a few things. Instead of wasting her time dreaming of Spain with Aaron.

Aaron snuck into the pub of fellow rebels and quickly asked for a mug of ale. He sat with a few of the leaders and gave a heavy sigh "I ride out tonight to check in on Enjolras. Hopefully his health has changed for the better. Once the people see him alive and fighting again, we should be able to rally enough force to take down the monarch."

She frowned and turned around. “I… I’m sorry…. I just… had one exactly like it.” She mumbled setting it back in the box. “Where is the thread kept? The spool I was using ran out and Juliet needs her dress… repaired.” She told her slowly and frowned when she had a spool thrown at her.

Enjolras walked into the room and frowned seeing the tension between her and the new girl. “Love… coke with me?” He asked her quietly, leading her back towards their room.

Maxine glared at her and threw a spool towards her "Ask before you loot through other's belongings." She spat before looking towards her husband. She gave a heavy sigh and followed him out "How are you feeling?" She asked in a concerned voice.

He frowned and limped out of the house with her to do a small loop of the back gardens. “What was that?” He asked her quietly, having to lean on her a little.

Carmen winced a little and made her way back to the kitchen to sit with the others and work on the repairs.

Maxine wrapped her arms around him as she gave a heavy sigh as they walked "She was going through our things! It is not her business to do so or to touch Lottie's doll." She said frowning deeply "I have tried Enjolras,I have tried so hard to teach that girl. To accept her. But she is a lost cause, and everyday it just gets worse." She explained before giving a heavy sigh "All she wants is to go home, or run off to Spain with Aaron. She thinks they will live like she did out there."

Marie gave Carmen a soft smile having seen the whole interaction "Pay no mind to Maxine. That was her daughter's doll. They lost her at the begining of summer from the hunger and a fever." She told her gently

He frowned and looked back down at her. “Do not make her feel unwelcome. If not for her then for Aaron. If it wasn’t for him I’d be food for the rats right now. He loves her the same way I love you and I am aware they are leaving to Spain once the fighting is over.” He told her seriously. “You should go to market today… see what is available.” He told her quietly. “You need to get out the house you’re going to go crazy.” He pointed out

Maxine gave a heavy sigh but nodded a bit "I have done everything I can to make her welcome, but when she is constantly asking when we will be eating and taking extra for herself....it makes things hard."

He sighed heavily and shook his head. “Please love. Here. Taken from soldiers.” He mumbled rifling his pockets and passing her a pouch of coins. “Just,.. go to the market. Meat. For everyone. Should be enough.” He told her, making
His way back inside

She took a shaky breath but gave a small nod "Okay." She whispered before taking the coins and helping him back inside. She took a deep breath as she made her way towards the market thinking over what it was she needed to do and how to help this Carmen situation.

He frowned and headed to lie down, starting to feel slightly off but not wanting to bother anybody.

The market turned out to be full of soldiers, asking around if anyone had seen a young woman, Carmen to be exact because she had been taken from her home and the latest informtion had led them all the way out here, eventually bumping into Max, "'Scuse me madam, you haven't seen a young noble recently have you? Red hair, olive tone? She'd stick out like a sore thumb among everyone else..." He asked her.

Maxine frowned when she noticed all of the soldiers around. She wanted to make this quick but soon becane nervous when they came to speak with her. She frowned a bit and gave them a questioning look "What would you need with this young woman? Is she is trouble?" She asked

Maxine frowned softly but gave a small nod "I have....you will not hurt her?" She asked taking a deep breath. This was for the best, once the fighting was over she was sure they could run off again.

They promised her she wasn’t in danger with them before heading to where she had told them the girl was.

Carmen looked up when she heard max calling her name, standing up and setting her sewing on the table. “Hi, what is it?” She asked her

Maxine went back to the house calling for Carmen after she put the meat away. She gave a small smile to her as she came in the room "I have gotten word that Aaron will take you tonight. Leave for Spain, just meet him at the barn in three hours."

She paused but soon smiled, trusting this woman explicitly and she just nodded happily. “Thank you…. Thank you so much.” She told her quickly, finishing off the dress repairs before getting herself a small bag together and heading out to the barn a half mile away.

Maxine took a deep breath and nodded some. She went to Enjolras after and held his hand "How are you feeling my love?" She asked quietly

Aaron arrived later that day frowning when he came inside not seeing Carmen "Carmen?!" He called frowning when he saw Marie "Have you seen Carmen?"

She shook her head “no… no she was repairing clothes but Maxine came through and they talked and then she left. Maybe she knows?” She asked him.

Enjolras frowned a little, sitting up as much as he could. “It hurts…. You’ve been gone a while love… everything okay?” He asked her seeing she looked a little upset. “What’s wrong?” He asked her quietly.

Maxine gave him a small smile and shook her head "No everything is fine...its fine." She said quietly before holding him some and taking a shaky breath when Aaron came in "She is....at the barn. She wanted fresh air." She murmured

Aaron frowned but gave a nod thanking her. He went to their room not even knocking "Do you know where Carmen is?" He asked then thanked them before rushing out and going towards the barn

By the time he arrived at the barn it was a mess, blood on the floor and all the hay kicked around like there had been a fight, the ripped sleeve of a dress caught in the doorframe and a few strands of red hair as well

Enjolras frowned watching her. “You’re lying to me. You’ve never been very good at it.” He mumbled.

Maxine took a shaky breath letting a few tears fall "I....I think I made a mistake.." she whispered

Aaron saw the scene before him and pulled the sleeve from the door. He went wide eyed and began rushing back when he felt something hit the back of his head. He grunted and fell to the ground blacking out.

He frowned and stroked the hair frok her face. “What is if?” He asked gently before they had one of the younger women come running into the house.

Jacqueline had seen them take out Aaron and drag him away on a cart and all she could think was that they were after the rebellion. She made it back to the house and eventually to Maxine and enjolras. “They’ve taken Aaron! The soldiers they were hiding at the barn. They’ve taken him!” She told them both quickly.

Maxine took a shaky breath about to tell him everything when Jacqueline ran into the room. She went wide eyed and shook her head some "No...No no they weren't supposed to take him." She whispered as she ran out of the room gulping when Enjolras looked at her furious "They were taking her home! They were just supposed to take her home!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back