• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Characters
Here
Other
Here

Veil Walker

Grey's Home
Somewhere on the California Coastline
April 25, 2022
12:30 PM PST

Grey Bastion slumped into his large chair with a heavy sigh. He had been up since before dawn, courtesy of a certain military instructed immortal. The same one who had hidden his stash and forced him to bed early. Somehow, the old man had even managed to rob his vault, further making Grey suspicious of the man's supposed lack of mystical powers. Either way, the grumpy ex-League member had been checking and reinforcing wards on his home for hours, and was just settling into his chair for a well earned rest when the aforementioned immortal strode past quickly, only pausing to check an old pocketwatch and check in on his beleaguered companion. The Colonel gave a soft smirk at his housemate.

"You look terrible. I did tell you to rest up before today." The larger man let out a soft growl from his chair. He'd been plagued with nightmares for the few hours he had actually managed to sleep.
"You know I don't really ever sleep well. It's why I usually prefer to pass out. So, I have to ask you, why exactly do you look so smug today?" The slighter man smiled wider now, nodding to his watch.
"The new arrivals will be here shortly. I am excited to help shape the newest generation of League members." He mentally went through the checklist for the next week or so, trying to account for any and every possibility before it became more than a minor inconvenience. It was the years of military service in him that caused him to set schedules, and have entire days set up with fine precision. Of course, his years of service both as an agent for his country and his stints doing hero work had taught him that schedules usually needed to be adapted on the fly, so he had even gone over what to do in the event things like that occurred. After all, he knew from experience that teenagers weren't always the most precise people on the planet. He even had a serious doubt that any of them would even show up on time. A grunt from his companion interrupted his train of thought, and he glanced at the bulky man sprawled almost haphazardly in his chair with an appraising look.
"I honestly have no idea how I got convinced to let you bring them here. You know I'm not exactly interested in getting visitors, let alone guests." To his credit, the big man didn't look angry about the situation. Not as angry at least as he had seemed when the idea had first been broached. Phillips well remembered dodging the flames and other threats as the man had raged against it. Now he simply seemed defeated by the whole idea.
"You owe me, of course. Don't look so glum, I picked a few specifically for you to teach. You are always in a better place when you have someone to show off for." The Colonel winced as the big man glared at him, lifting his wrist to show the power dampening clamp placed there. In red LED's, it read 10%. The man shot him a look that clearly said: 'Not much chance of that, huh?" Phillips decided to quickly change the subject before the mage thought of some revenge for the slip of the tongue.
"Well, I am off to meet them out front. You are free of course to join me." He gave the mage a hopeful smile, which was dispelled by the scowl on the other man's face. Sighing and shaking his head, the immortal walked out the front door, locking it behind him.

He stood in the long gravel driveway, waiting. Occasionally, he checked his old pocketwatch, though his years of training made him easily able to tell the time based on the position of the sun. Still, it was one of the few nervous habits he had left. It eased some of the racing of his mind to hold it and look at the face, a constant in a life that had been full of change and having to get used to new things. Outwardly, he stayed calm as ever, a smile on his face as he waited for the first of his new trainees arrived. As each person arrived, they were greeted by either their super name, or by Mr./Ms. and then their last initial. After years of name changes and moving, he understood the desire for privacy and would allow them to introduce themselves as they saw fit. That was their right, and he had seen far too many teams destroyed because of a lack of trust and respect. Once all the heroes had assembled, he began a little speech he had prepared the night before.
"Welcome to all of you who have agreed to come here. My name is Colonel Phillips. You can call me Colonel, or Phillips or even JJ if you prefer something more informal. For those who don't know who I am, I served many years for my country, then I became a hero and after years, I then helped train many heroes around the world, including some of those who now make up the Justice League, of which I am an honorary member." He looked around at each hero and gave a small smile. He thought about how they must have seen him. Barely five and a half feet tall, and appearing to be the same age as those gathered here. He was a slim man wearing a long sleeved cotton button up, dark slacks, finely polished boots and an old style cavalry saber belted around his waist. He wore his long black hair tied back in a ponytail, exposing piercing blue eyes. The only ostentatious details were the snarling silver wolf belt buckle and the hawk stylized onto the guard of his saber, done in what looked like gold.
"I can assure you, I am older than I appear. Now I would like to welcome you all to what will be your new home for the foreseeable future." Turning away from them, he unlocked the door and opened it wide, gesturing for them to enter. The moment they came in, an odd feeling of comfort and safety swept over each of the newcomers. The entry hall opened out into a living space that held two plush recliners and a couple of long grey couches, all positioned facing a large television. Past this was a dining area with a long mahogany table and many oak chairs, which looked suspiciously like they were hand carved. At the head of the table, perched in a large, very cushioned chair, a man sat with his arms folded. He was carefully taking each newcomer in carefully, though his eyes briefly paused when they got to both Nicholas and Simon. Even seated, this was obviously a very large, very broad man. He had a shaggy blonde bears and a chaotic mess of hair that fell past his shoulders. He wore a rumpled t-shirt with some stains which looked remarkably like blood, and a faded pair of loose fitting jeans. He wore no shoes, and his feet looked as though he had been working in the dirt all day. At his feet, a huge shaggy black dog sat, grinning at the group of new people. Hefting himself up with a grunt, he gave a small wave.

"I'm Grey Bastion. I was a League member for a while. Didn't work out. I'll be helping the Colonel teach you guys how not to die. In the meantime, I'm sure you all have to be hungry, so I'll cook something. Anyone have any requests or stuff they can't or won't eat?" He paused, listening for answers before shuffling off into the kitchen. At the mention of food, the great shaggy beast padded after him on almost silent paws. To his credit, the Colonel looked surprised for a moment, before turning back and nodding to the group.
"So, I suppose while we wait, does anyone have any questions?"

Nicholas Hart
Nicholas looked around at his surroundings. It was pretty nice. Way better than his cabin back in Salem. His cabin didn’t even have a bathroom inside, only a little hole about 3 miles east of the cabin. He was particularly nervous being around all these people. He wanted to know what these people were thinking and if they were saying anything about Nicholas. Nicholas knew he could easily read their minds but he didn't want to invade their privacy.

Nicholas wondered how all of this would work. He knew he was going to be a superhero basically but he wanted to know more about all of this. Things like how he was found even though he was keeping a very low profile. He wanted to know how these people were able to locate him and even be able to reach out to him. Honestly, Nicholas was happy they found him because now he had something to do with his life other than just sitting around all day.

Nicholas examined each person very carefully. Wondering about what they could do and what type of powers each one wielded. He knew the topic would eventually be discussed and soon he'd be able to talk with others and try to pry information out of them. He needed all the knowledge he could get on these people so he could know what to expect next from each of them. He would use the gained information to be able to get closer to the person.

One thing Nicholas didn't think about was who else here wielded magic. Nicholas didn't come across other magic users that often so he wanted to know who else was like him. Maybe he could be friends with them and be able to learn new things from them. Nicholas was always looking to learn something new about his powers ever since his parents passed away. They were his educators for the most part and he didn't have them for long.

Nicholas wanted to ask where his bedroom was because he wanted to get unpacked and settled in. But thanks to his severe anxiety, he decided to stay quiet. He figured the best thing for him to do would be to wait for another person to speak first and then he would be able to speak his mind knowing that it is a safe place for him to share his thoughts and opinions.

coded by: @s e v e n

Last edited:
C57C9026-8898-4DFD-B95E-F2558374E815.jpeg

Pscion (Simon)
Simon hadn’t believed the letter when it showed up, not in his mailbox but in his hidden desk drawer, he also didn’t believe it when he was told to show up alone with a bag packed if he wanted to join a teen super team.

Now? Standing in front of Immortalus and Grey Bastion of all people? After being teleported across the country he’d kinda frozen up and started walking but christ was he glad he came in full gear. These guys were legends, even with their questionably shaky history and he’d somehow gotten an audience with them. Looking around he couldn’t help but notice the others his age in their uniforms or lack thereof, and for a second he had to wonder something out loud.

“Wait, so I know this is some kinda super team, hi by the way” He turned towards the others and waved awkwardly in greeting “But are you sure I’m supposed to be here? I don’t have much in the way of League connections and I’m pretty small time.”

The distant rustling of trees could be heard before a great gust of wind would shoot through the area, casting a great deal of dust, sand and other loose debris flying through the air as if blasted by a sudden hurricane. As the dust began to slowly settle, a tall redhead woman would be found directly opposite the group, along with what appeared to be several large trunks and cases stacked atop one another nearly as high as she was.

After being addressed as Ms Z, she would take a short hop and seat atop the luggage slowly kicking her feet as the rest of the man's introductory speech went on, then eventually strolling casually along to the living space spinning as she moved to take in the various features of the new home. It would also likely be noted that despite her size there did not seem to be any particular sound from her as she moved other than the hmms and ahhs, her footsteps silent across the stone floors. Making it to the living area she would be found in a flash, going to reclining over one of the Sofa's to take it all in as if she was at home.

"So guess JJ and Lebowski are the den mothers huh? Oh as for the menu as long as it's authentic and there's lots of it I'm good, so no fake or impossible stuff" tilting her head over to Bastion as he moved towards the kitchen before glancing back with a smile to the rest of those gathered listening before chiming in.

"The whole letter out of nowhere was kinda to be unexpected I guess, but if anything id thinks id have the opposite of league connections. Was it big blue peeping from up above? dark and broody? Stockings pulling names from her top hat?"

Virgil was running behind. It had become his MO since he had become a super hero. When he was younger, he had always tried to be prompt and be first everywhere. It was how he had met his best friend, Richie. They had often showed up early to everything together. Then the Big Bang had happened, and everything had changed. Virgil found himself having to be in three places at once before he'd even had breakfast. It was hard to be on time for something mundane when Hotstreak was on a rampage, or Ebon was leading a prison break. Dakota itself was still woefully unprepared for Bang Babies. So it was almost with relief when he found himself boarding a plane out of Dakota, on his way to the west coast. He had only been on a plane once before, on his trip to Africa. It had been nerve wracking, checking his bag with his gear inside, but he just had to hope the security would think he was a cosplayer. First class was a whole other thing though. The flight attendants were a little TOO friendly, and the way they kept giving him things made him feel like a charity case, but the giant toblerone bar had been a nice perk.

Getting off, he quickly grabbed his bag and ran out of the airport. He found a quiet spot and changed into his costume, hopping onto his disk and flying over to the house. He unconsciously let out a little whistle. The place clearly cost a LOT of money, and was surprisingly classy despite that. He made a light landing and looked around him, giving a small smile and nod to his teammates. The man addressed him as Static, which made Virgil smile even broader. He wasn't sure he felt like trusting people he had just met with his secret identity.
As the man waiting for them introduced himself, Virgil's eyes went wide. He had heard about some of his exploits, but he had thought it was just some urban legend.
now he wasn't too sure. He listened to the man's spiel, and then followed behind the others into the house. He found a wall to lean against, and almost fell over when the big guy introduced himself as Greay Bastion. The guy might have been kicked out of the League, but he had made it in at just 17. It had been a dream of Virgil's to join the League ever since he got powers, so he felt awed and a little jealous. At the mention of food his stomach rumbled and he remembered he'd been too nervous to eat anything, causing him to blurt out:
"Oh man, I'd KILL for a burger and fries, if that works?" Trying to ignore the emptiness in his belly, he heard the others bring up some questions he had himself, though the bathroom question made him chuckle and wonder exactly how many bathrooms a place this big might have. He did wonder who had vouched for him, though at the mention of Big Blue, Virgil gave a grin. That made sense. Superman had said something about referring him for something on their one and only team up. Still, he had some real questions that hadn't been brought up.
"Um, sorry if this is rude and all, but what exactly are we going to be doing? I get training, but I doubt we're here just to get better. Guys like you two don't send first class tickets to some random people with powers just to play den mother and teach classes." Virgil wondered if he might have ruined things already, but if this was something shady, he really didn't want to get involved. It was a lot better to know what you were in for.

P h a n t a s m a
Cordelia Owens

Cordelia was nervous, though it was something she hid extraordinarily well, something she had been trained to do. She couldn’t help but wonder if she was making a huge mistake being here. But all considered, it seemed like the wisest decision, at least at the time. One way or another, the League had found her and they were aware of her powers, despite how careful she was in everything she had done the past two years. Sure, she could have just thrown out the letter and rejected the invitation, but she couldn’t help but feel paranoid that they’d continue to keep an eye on her. So, really it was better to accept and be kept in the loop. Plus, if anyone could help keep her safe from what exactly she was running from, it was the League. And maybe a part of her wanted to be a part of something bigger. Something better. Not that she would easily admit to it.

Since her arrival at the mansion, she hadn’t said anything, just simply nodded in acknowledgement at Colonel Phillips when he had addressed her. She stood a bit off to the side from the others, arms crossed in what seemed to be her default position. Perhaps it made the girl seem defensive or unapproachable, but it was simply just comfortable to her. It probably didn’t help either that she was fully suited up, every inch of her covered up, including a full face mask. She honestly felt a bit stupid wearing the mask; it was inevitable that the rest of them would see her face sooner rather than later, but for now she kept it on.

After concluding his speech, the Colonel ushered them all inside, and she casually positioned herself against the wall as they were introduced to Grey Bastion. She simply shrugged in response to his question of food preference. Pickiness when it came to food was something she hadn’t ever been afforded in her life, though with her powers being mental-based, she did consume a lot of carbs to replenish her brain energy. But the conversation continued as the large man and his dog left for the kitchen, and she remained leaning casually against the wall as the others spoke.

A smirk pulled at the corners of Cordelia’s lips from under her mask at Static’s last comment. “Feels pretty obvious to me,” she finally spoke.

He was right, of course; this wasn’t something they’d just suddenly do out charity. They wanted something from them. The most obvious answer to her was that they were to be made a team, supervised and sent out on missions by the League. The specifics she wasn’t sure of, but she couldn’t help but notice that the League’s PR hadn’t been all that great lately. Maybe they were to be a more covert type of team to send out while the League tried to save face? Would make sense, having a group composed of young, lesser-known heroes with just enough talent to get the job done. That, or maybe their talents had attracted just enough attention from the League that they wanted to keep a close eye on the teens, keep them supervised and on a short leash.

That last thought in particular made her mouth twitch into a frown, and she was thankful for the mask on her face hiding her expression. Though the way her body tensed slightly as she crossed her arms over her chest in a defensive manner would have given away her sudden shift in mood to the most perceptive of observers.

Grey hummed in a rich voice as he moved quickly through his kitchen. He never acknowledged anything the others had said, but somehow he flowed into recipes quickly, chopping potatoes before Virgil had even asked for fries with his burger. His knife sounded akin to a machine gun, Phillips giving the slightest flinch as the first sound was heard. His food was done surprisingly quickly, as he slid an entire platter of breakfast food in front of Bree. It carried an intoxicating scent, and would make even the most hardened there hungry with the delicious scent. Moving almost inhumanly fast, he scuttled back to his kitchen, scuttling back with a burger and fries for Virgil, and a Shephard's pie for Cordelia.
"Carb heavy, just like you need." He frowned slightly at the den mother comment, though after a moment, he smiled.
"You are all guests in my home. I promise you, while you are on these grounds, you will be safe. Neither the old man or I will let anyone hurt you. You have my word." Despite his rumpled appearance, despite his stained shirt or his easy going demeanor, he conveyed a feeling of truth and of safety. He conveyed this for a moment, before sinking into his large chair with a heavy sigh, though at the mention of tights and a top hat he made a choking sound and turned bright red.

Phillips however, carefully considered the questions being asked and the assumptions. He supposed it was all entirely fair. He understood the paranoia and political nature of the League, and so he understood the reticence of some of their new arrivals. While some might be annoyed or insulted by the questions, he viewed those asking with a little more respect.
"Well, you each have a choice of bedrooms, so you decide that amongst yourselves. Each has its own bathroom, because we both know how teenagers value their privacy. The only occupied bedrooms are mine and our host's, which are marked. We simply ask that you do not intrude without permission. Just like you, we value our privacy." The good Colonel smiled, trying to convey more of a sense of ease. He knew this was new to all of these young people, but in all honesty, he needed their trust. The future depended on it.
"I understand that some of you are unsure about many things. But you have incredible potential. I and even Grey see that every day. You would not be invited here without a great deal of confidence in both your abilities and your integrity as heroes. Some of you were recommended. But many of you, most of you really, were chosen because we see what you could be. All of you are just starting on your path as heroes. We can see what you can be if given some help. Some training and guidance. First and foremost, we believe in you. To answer the question of what we hope to gain from you, the answer is three fold. We hope to make you better heroes. We also hope to protect you, and keep what you can do out of the wrong hands." For a moment, his eyes flicked to Cordelia, and he gave her a look that told her he had seen that tension, though he kept that from all but the most observant in the room.
"Lastly, we are training you to take on the missions the League can't risk being involved with. You will be a covert team, at first. We hope down the line to help you all be more comfortable in the spotlight. Still taking on threats of a politically divisive nature, but a team the League can point to as an example."

Bree's eyes would sparkle somewhat as she sat there smiling, following each of the individuals as they talked and glancing further around the room as she waited, looking them over in thought before finally digging into the food as soon as it hit the table. Her eye was particularly following Grey even while she chewed so the expression change didn't go amiss, her grin spreading wider as he finished speaking. Swallowing and replying in a more innocent yet still mirthful tone she casually gestured at him with a fork "Well guess with how this place looks i guess it answers where the money was, but..." she shrugged and chuckled "The whole nobody going to hurt us bit seems a bit empty doesn't it? Unless you can name a Heroe who hasn't had a whopping or two at some point?" she arched her brow playfully at him before looking back to the Colonel as he answered the questions.

"Same goes that the whole sales pitch, What I'm seeing is this is an experiment slash future-proofing exercise that's going to be made mutually beneficial. if these "missions" are as sensitive as your let on, you're also going to confirm what we can do and get a better read of us in the whole training part of that, since well to be honest neither of you nor those watching seems dumb enough to entirely trust people you just met regardless of whatever you dug upon each of us." She takes another few glances around the room at the word watching like she was fairly sure a superhero base like this would have Cameras or something, and also if this was a League deal there was going to be far more than just Colonel and Grey keeping an eye on them.

Shrugging to herself once more she turned to go back to eating "But hey, I actually prefer the whole doubting thing even if it's not being said outwardly, blindly trusting is pretty much apathy, hard to really get to know or understand someone if that's your starting point."

Nicholas Hart
Nicholas looked around at the other people. He found what Bree had to say to be very interesting. He had something to say back and he overcame his anxiety to speak. "I like that some of us are entertaining the idea of this being a setup or a trap. I do have my concerns as well. So, I’m sure we can have someone give us reassurance fully that nothing is going to happen. Words are words but actions go further than that.”

Nicholas wasn't as nervous now since he had spoken up. He felt that what he said needed to be said because no one was addressing it. He didn't know if all of them would agree with him but he hoped at least one person would. He knew what the others were probably thinking and feeling. It was okay for them to feel this way since the ones who recruited them were strangers.

Nicholas knew if he truly felt in danger that he'd be able to defend himself. If these random people recruited Nicholas to fight crime then he knew he had talent. Not everyone is cut out to be the next Superman, Batman, or even Wonder Woman. So, Nicholas knew he had a chance at proving himself useful by showing off his talents and skills whilst kicking ass.

The only thing he wants is to jump into action ASAP. He's ready to fight some bad guys and save the world. The little childish missions Nicholas did back in Salem would never compare to what Nicholas would be doing with these people. He has the chance to fight some real serious people meaning to do some really serious harm.

Nicholas still needed to figure out his place. Inside his head, everything is going crazy trying to figure out what to do. Trying to help Nicholas make the right decision. At the end of the day, he knew what he wanted and he was going to get it. He thought some more to himself as he tried to sort it out to make sense.

Last edited:
Virgil took a longer look around the room for a second, and honestly started to feel really underdressed. Almost everyone else there was wearing some kind of high tech suit, and he had shown up in a hoodie with a t-shirt. He hoped the promise about better equipment was still on the table, otherwise he was going to stand out. And standing out in this line of work was never a good idea. Unlike the others, when Grey spoke, he relaxed a little, though only briefly. Seemed like everyone here was reacting pretty cynically and he wondered in the back of his mind why his first reaction had been to trust. The two who had spoken up so far had raised some valid points. Though he had taken his offer of protection seriously, Virgil also had to agree with the mysterious Ms. Z. Operations and missions usually meant danger of some form or another, though he hoped by now he could rely on his own skill, if not any of the others. So far, he had been the only person to display any hint of abilities, and he was regretting his showy entrance.
"So if we're going on missions for the League, sensitive ones, I'm guessing we need to keep low profiles? Cause I've never really been someone to go the other way if someone needs help. I'm not really planning on changing that policy, either." He tried to give an easy smile, but it was hard to disappoint two role models like them.
"And what about school? Some of us, at least me, have a desire to go to school. There's more to live than dodging bullets, y'know. I like building and fixing things, so I'm hoping I can get a scholarship." He flushed darker, before trying to correct his embarrassing slip of the tongue.
"Not that I'm asking for money! I just want to have some options for a normal life. I've seen what life stuck mostly in a cave has done for Robin. I'm not really interested in that kinda life." Virgil decided it was time to shut his mouth, and so took a big bite of his burger, desperate to get the spotlight off of him.

P h a n t a s m a
Cordelia Owens

Cordelia was a bit surprised at the plate suddenly being set into her hands, staring at the large man in bewilderment for a moment before muttering out a quiet, “Thanks…”

She was snapped back to attention as Colonel Phillips began speaking. Honestly, his little speech was making her want to roll her eyes; sappy pep talks and motivational speeches were really not her thing. She was beginning to zone out once more when she heard something that made her pause. The telepath glanced at him, and was a bit taken aback at that look he had given her. Oh, she did not like that, not at all, but she didn’t dare glimpse into his mind. She did, however, glare at him, though the effect of it was lost under her mask. Which was probably a good thing, actually. But what the hell was she supposed to make of that? How much did he actually know? The thought set her on edge. She had been so careful the past few years, at least she thought she had. Then again, maybe it was just her paranoia getting to her, but… Either way, not the time to confront him about it or fish for information. For now, she would just play it cool and keep her mouth shut.

So instead, she sat down at the dining table with her plate. She bit back a sigh, before unceremoniously pulling down her hood and slipping the mask from off her face as the conversation continued, keeping a carefully neutral expression. Her face would be revealed sooner or later anyway, better to just get it out of the way now. She did, however, crack a bit of a smile at the end of JJ’s spiel, the last bit confirming her earlier suspicions. “Heh. Knew it,” she muttered quietly under her breath, before taking a bite from her plate.

The response from some of her soon-to-be teammates was a little surprising. Despite her own feelings, she hadn’t expected the same sentiments of cynicism from the others. While she believed that Grey and Phillips believed they were telling the truth, in a line of work like this it wasn’t easy keeping promises. What she really wanted to say was, “Don’t make promises you can’t keep.” Instead, she was a bit more tactful and took the chance to be a little more meaningful with her words.

“I still have some doubts, but I, for one, am willing to extend my trust.” The smile she shot at Phillips was razor sharp, the intensity of her storm-grey eyes pointedly fixed on him for a moment before finally breaking away, turning back to her meal.

After a while, Cordelia eventually spoke up again after Static. “I was wondering about the whole ‘school’ thing myself.” Her words were laced a bit more with what sounded like caution. Cordelia did almost envy his ambitions to do something more with his life, but she had long since come to the conclusion that she wasn’t really one to live a quiet life. She never would have taken the chance of becoming a vigilante if that were the case, and she wasn’t entirely sure what else she would do with her life anyway. She shot a small polite smile at Static before turning her attention back to Phillips. “Unlike Static, however, I am still very much interested in the whole ‘dodging bullets’ thing. I was hoping to see the training rooms soon? Haven’t had the chance to train the past few days since I was busy getting ready to come here, and I don’t normally go this long without a workout.”

Last edited:
Brees's eyes would seem to periodically blur to those paying the closest attention, it was almost imperceptible but while her attention seemed to be entirely on her food, her downcast eyes were glancing between each of the additional members to take note of their reactions to her words, as well as there own input on the situation. Idly she wondered how many of them would manage to glean what she was really saying and why she really said it, either way, it was a fun little game of sorts to better understand them alongside her other little tricks.

Then again her way of thinking about things was apparently a bit weird at times from an outward view, but she had always just thought of that as a subjective given it was normal to her.

"As Black Parade said, Words are Wind, you want us to do covert stuff, so you should also expect us to look beyond the obvious, shock troops make poor spies long term. As for Spark whole school thing, normals are subjective...." pausing to tap her chin for a second at the whole robin comment, idly wondering which one he was referring to. "Sure it's fun to hang out there but lessons tend to be so boooring, if you actually good at the stuff the whole getting hands-on always seemed to work better...like i swear half the tech guys didn't learn what they do in school, heck I heard half the super doctors didn't even actually go to college" she idly counts off on her fingers "Fate, Psycho, Alchemy....be easier to mention the ones that actually did.."

Pscion
As he walked with the others and heard the answer from both of the veteran supers he admittedly fell into a mini freak out. Him? The guy who spent the first two months with powers not touching anyone because of how many door handles he’d accidentally broken? He honestly couldn’t believe it.

As the others talked he could obviously see that they were all more comfortable with the situation then him, and they even seemed to get to talking without him.

‘When in Rome.’ Taking a breath he finally shook out his anxiety and tried to join the conversation the best he could, only to find it having turned to villains who never went to school. “It’s actually a much larger phenomenon than you’d think.”

“In fact it’s not even just the super geniuses you hear about, Captain Cold was a failed inventor before he built the cold gun and he dropped out of Highschool. If you’re talking about the best evil geniuses though, T.O. morrow was able to create a fully functional elemental android from near scratch in the 1940’s, there’s also guys like Mr.Freeze or the Ultra humanite.”
He was on a roll now that he was talking about a subject he had a great knowledge and passion about and his voice conveyed it well. “They may not be the most positive examples but think of what people could do if that kind of technology was used for good, the point is; intelligence can come from anywhere so I don’t honestly see the need for a diploma if you have the drive to make something of yourself.”

As he ended his impassioned rant he suddenly felt the color drain from his face at how much he’d ended up running his mouth.

“S-so yeah, I like superhero stuff, uh I’m Pscion.”

Phillips had suddenly begun to realize the depth of his mistake. He had spent almost fifty years in the military. It taught you where and when to fight. It taught you orders and an idea of how to fight in a cohesive unit. Even those heroes he had trained had understood this. But he suddenly realized, he had never trained teenagers of this generation. They were cynical and they mistrusted. Given their background he understood. These were not soldiers or common vigilantes. They had survived because they mistrusted, though he let out a small chuckle when they questioned Grey's offer of protection. Even at ten percent, he was still feared, not to mention a tremendous healer. He honestly thought they should be honored, as Grey had never offered that for anyone besides Zatarra's family and Big Blue.
"Excuse me, but I never actually offered total safety. I simply said that while you're on these grounds, you are safe. Missions are of course, a different matter. But if a threat comes onto my land, I have promised to protect you." Grey didn't bother smiling or giving a nonverbal cue. Either his word was enough, or it wasn't. He was too tired to care either way. Phillips smiled at the group in a reassuring way, before fielding the other questions.
"Well actually, you were all rejected by the League. You are not under surveillance by the League. You were picked by the pair of us to give you a second chance. No League oversight. Eventually, we want you to assist in League missions. But we shall train you and help your abilities, but we are offering you a freedom the League could never give. You can say no to missions. You will also get the whole truth from the pair of us. We will answer any and all questions, but you do not have the same expectations. We want to foster trust. While you are here, you will never be beholden to the League. You're shielded. You deserve a chance to find yourself, and decide what you want to do."

"As for school, I never went to college. I went to trade school to learn welding, and from there I learned to smith. The others are right. You wanna seek a different style of education, go for it. To me, it's all about what makes you happy. You wanna learn in school, we'll foot the bill and find a way to make it work. You wanna learn on experience, I can teach you a lot, and so can the old man. Everything here is up to you. Your happiness matters here."

Relaxing in her seat her eyes continued to blur ever so slightly, her arms thrown wide over the back as she goes to kick her feet up on the table, though no sound appears to come out when she puts them down on the surface. The more this went on the more she was learning about each of her new teammates and carers, it just needed the right nudge to encourage them to divulge different aspects. The information was secondary to her honestly, it was more how they said it and reacted, what they chose to state speaking more than what they actually stated. Sure some might consider it mind games, but games were a good way to get to understand them, it's a shame however most of them overlooked the obvious in her earlier statements, the carers in particular.

Though as for the information, the actual league rejection part was an interesting tidbit, most notably how it included Static who seemed to have had a working relationship with league members in the news.

Looking upwards for a moment she internally debated her next move before giving a minor nod and going to respond again. Time to get a bit more obvious, raising a finger in emphasis her brow furrowing over so slightly as the smile goes neutral.

"Guess I should be a bit more direct with it then since you're getting your party muddled up a bit, for me at least. Trust is wont to work, trust to me is the same as apathy. There is a saying I go by. "To believe is to doubt" if you doubt you're going to search deeper to understand and find the truth right? and when you understand the truth. Doubt, Question, Suspect, Observe. Trust is just giving up on looking further to put a person further from your mind....so if you do want to help, doubt. Heck that goes a lot further to the whole finding yourself bit and the rest"

With that said her finger lowers once more and like a switch flips she was smiling and chuckling once more "But hey for the whole teaching thing outside of the super stuff,...guess I'm.....drawn to" she seems to chew her cheek somewhat moving her mouth from side to side "Well Medical Field, Medicine? might just be taking after my mom on that one but bouncing between body and mind, rather than focusing down on a particular field, might as well go for a bit of both, go broad and see where it goes, pretty quick to learn in any case."

Nicholas Hart
Nicholas thought to himself for a minute. He was stuck between a mental debate of trusting these people and not trusting these people. After all, he didn’t know who he could trust and who he couldn’t because all his life he had trusted the wrong people. But at the end of the day, Nicholas couldn’t let his bad past experiences interfere with the present and future. If these people honestly wanted to hurt him and the others, wouldn't they have already done something to us?

Not necessarily though. These people could be good scammers with convincing lies. Nicholas dismissed the idea and chose his final decision to trust these people. He figured trusting them would make his life easier. Nicholas was just going to go with the flow and see where that would take him. Hopefully somewhere safe and preferably where he doesn't die. Nicholas decided that since he had mentioned something before about not trusting these people that he would let them know how his feelings have changed over the past 5 minutes.

"Honestly, I am going to have to trust you guys. If I don't overcome my fears that something bad is going to happen, I might as well just leave. Which I don't want to do. Thank you though for having me and just know you'll always have my trust.", Nicholas said with a faint smile. He wondered what the others were thinking about all of this or even what they thought about what Nicholas had to say. He didn't seem to care much because he knew where he stood in supporting Grey and Phillips. All he needed was to find his place in life and go to it so his life would have more meaning to it.

On another note, Nicholas never really even thought about going to school. He never did growing up so why should he now? But that got Nicholas thinking. He wondered what mortal school is like. He imagined himself walking down the halls lined with lockers and being fairly popular. His parents taught him everything they could while he was growing up but he knew he needed to learn more except he wasn't too attracted to the idea of public school with people who are just regular.

Last edited:
Virgil watched as the tall girl's eyes flickered like crazy. He wondered what her condition was. He hoped it wouldn't cause her to spaz out on missions. He watched with interest as Pscion spoke, and gave him a friendly smile. He could tell the other hero was nervous. If the butterflies doing jumping jacks in his stomach was anything to go by, he could definitely understand that feeling. He flinched slightly as the offer of safety was corrected, and reevaluated the safe zones. He should have known after years of doing heroics that missions weren't safe, but he couldn't deny that he had hoped he could stop looking over his shoulder for a while, and he wondered when he'd be thrown into the thick of it. He froze for a moment as the big guy casually offered to pay the school bills, but after a moment, he smiled and relaxed. Truth be told, he had worried about paying for school for a while. He knew his Pops couldn't hope to afford any college, let alone ones that would be of much use to him. He'd sent out scholarship applications, but so far none had come in. This was such a huge weight off his mind, that he forgot the setting, only snapping back to attention when REM girl spoke up again.
"Wow, seriously? And I thought I had trust issues. Girl, if they wanted to hurt us, I think they could do it pretty easily. As for paying for school... Would that include ANY school, or just Cali schools? Cause most of those don't really interest me. If I'm honest, I was hoping for MIT..." Virgil's voice trailed off, and then he heard the kid with the weird vibe speak. He raised his eyebrows as he offered total trust. Virgil didn't even really trust they'd pay for school, let alone COMPLETELY trust them. It would seem this so-called team had some serious differences in opinion to work out.

P h a n t a s m a
Cordelia Owens

Rejected by the League, huh? Yeah, that sounded more like it. She suppressed a laugh, looking slightly amused at the admittance. Still, the details of this arrangement almost felt too good to be true.

Cordelia just sat back and idly listened to the conversation. By now she had finished with her plate and had pushed it aside. She sat leaned forward slightly, elbow propped up by the table and resting her chin on the palm of her hand, looking surprisingly relaxed and unbothered. Admittedly, the telepath was tired, as the adrenaline from her earlier nerves starting to wear off. She remained quiet as the others spoke, seeming somewhat disinterested in the conversation, though she was listening closely to what everyone was saying. Cordelia didn’t have much to add when it came to the topic of education. School wasn’t something she had given any thought to previously, and she didn’t particularly want to start thinking about it now. As for the issue of trust…

“They’re telling the truth, you know,” Cordelia spoke up for the first time in a while.

A brief, light sweep over the minds of their supervisors seemed to indicate as much. While her powers weren’t always completely reliable in these sorts of matters, especially when reading only the very top surface thoughts and intentions, it put her a little more at ease. Not that she was about to put her guard down, though.

The telepath didn’t care to elaborate on her words, instead drifting back into silence. She still sat with her chin resting on her palm, while her grey eyes casually scanned over the others. Everyone here seemed so different from each other, and currently attitudes were varying greatly from person to person. It was certainly going to be interesting to see how everything would play out eventually.

Last edited:
{Mette Beltran - Aurora}
"I thought superhero types had caves and space stations." Mette Beltran mused aloud.
Her green eyes scanned the outside of the mansion she had been brought to. It seemed...nice, she supposed. Perhaps this was counted as low profile in this profession.
"Not everyone has that kind of budget." Answered Sasha Bordeaux, killing the engine on the nondescript van the duo had driven over in. "Some have to settle for more mundane opulence."
Sasha had been someone who turned up after Mette's powers emerged. She said she had been called in "by a friend" to help with the investigation. Mette had yet to have a full grasp of what Sasha was. She seemed to have a great deal of knowledge about the Justice League, but not a hero herself. It was also interesting to considering she took the hit of a misjudged punch Mete had thrown in a training match and got back up with no obvious injury. She had her share of secrets, but was up front with them. Unlike another person Mette could name.
"I thought there was suppose to be others." The young meta human said as she got out of the van, trying to push away thought of her adoptive mother. "Are we early?"
"Most likely late." Sasha replied, staying in the car.
Mette turned and gave the older woman a half glare.

"And this was suppose to be beneficial how?" She asked, sounding miffed. "Great way to start relationships."
"Look, you were added in late." Sasha replied with a shrug. "I was against this from the beginning, but my friend insisted."
Her "friend." Mette's best bet she was referring to Batman, but Sasha wouldn't confirm or deny. And despite obvious differences, Sasha would follow his instructions.
"This is more than just training." Sasha continued, catching the look Mette wore. "This team is black ops. No assassinations, but it's still not always the most legal work. Plus, in your case, it's to keep an eye on you."
Mette looked confused for a moment, then it dawned on her.
"So, I get put in here to figure out if I'm going to be a problem." She said thoughtfully. "Makes a form of sense, I suppose."
"You are not the first." Sasha said with another shrug. "Most turn out just fine. Just stay on your toes and keep your nose clean."
Mette nodded before opening the sliding door to the van carefully. She retrieved her duffel, backpack, and a box of personal items. What was left over of her former life. It was strange how light they felt in the physical sense, yet how heavy they were in the emotional one. She took care to close the sliding door, not wanting to break another one.
"Any other last minute wisdom?" Mette asked as she adjusted her grip on her box.
"Not now, but maybe later." Sasha replied, pulling out a flip phone and offering it to the young meta human. "This has my number in it. Call me, if you need to. I've...had to start over before. It's not easy. So, it's good to have someone to help you through it."
There was a long moment of silence before Mette reached out and took the phone. This was probably something Sasha's friend asked her to do, but Mette didn't feel like asking. It was better to just cling to the idea that someone just cared enough to do this on their own. She wasn't sure she'd be able to say thank you with out her voice cracking, so she nodded her thanks. Sasha returned it, seemingly understanding what was going through the younger woman's head.
Turning on her heels, Mette marched up the lawn to the mansion's door. She heard the van start up and pull away, though she refused to look back. All that was left was to move forward. Taking a few steadying breaths as she closed the last few feet to the door, the confused girl from Fairbanks reached out and knocked on the door to start her life as Aurora.

Phillips maintained a calm demeanor as usual when Bree spoke, though his brow arched slightly as she expanded upon her philosophy. He understood a lack of trust in the big things. It was why he had resigned his commission in the Vietnam War. It was why he questioned investigations after certain lies he had been told. He even understood not trusting the pair of them. Still, the idea of not trusting anything or anyone was... strange. He trusted in people acting according to who they were, for instance. Superman would pretty much always try to bring hope. Batman would always be paranoid and suspicious. Captain Marvel usually tended to hero worship. He still remembered the cracked ribs he'd received after their first meeting. So not trusting anything seemed like a hard stance to take. He wasn't one to question the view of others, however. He simply noted it for future use and motivation. Grey on the other hand, was not so polite.
"So you don't trust... anything? That might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Sure, everyone, even the pair of us keep secrets, but you make it sound like trusting AN YTHING is dumb. I'm with Sparky. That's REALLY cynical, but okay. As for you, Sparky, I will tell you that the smartest person I ever met went to San Jose St. If you are somehow able to get into MIT, I can set up a portal spell to there no problem, and one of us will pay for the school, though we'll decide that later." The Colonel chuckled slightly, shooting an almost Puckish look at Grey.
"As you wish, though if it happens to be rock, paper, scissors I will win. You have a tell." Grey shot him a dirty look, but said nothing, though sharp eared individuals would hear him mutter something that sounded suspiciously like 'Cheater.' At the touch of Cordelia's mind, both men had a very different reaction. While JJ maintained the composed look he had maintained the entire time, a steel curtain slammed shut at the touch of her mind. Grey however could not be more different. While his defenses were easily circumvented by anyone with any training, a Dark shadow brushed Cordelia back, chilling laughter following before being abruptly cut off. Grey turned quickly to the telepath and gave her a concerned look, his eyes flaring slightly before relaxing.
"Careful Kidlet. Some very dangerous things live in my head. Easy to get lost there." For a moment, it looked as if he would expand upon this, but then his head snapped in a different direction, moments before an alert rang out.
"Alert: Unknown vehicle approaching." A monitor screen descended from the ceiling, followed by a smile spreading across Grey's face. Noticing that, Phillips, who had tensed and placed his hand on his sword, noticeably relaxed.
"Relax, Old Man. This one is my guest, though I hope she doesn't know it." Grey quickly strode across the room, and almost immediately after the first knock hand sounded, he opened the door, laughing slightly as the second knock caught him in the chest.
"Mette," The large man stated with a smile. In a quiet voice that only the two of them could hear, he greeted her in an ancient tongue that seemed as though from her dreams, before stepping aside and gesturing her to come in. JJ paled slightly as he saw her, shooting an accusatory look at Grey for a moment before resuming his calm facade. For Mette, the Colonel felt familiar, almost like home.
"Everyone, this is Mette. She has a great deal of personality and potential, so I hope you welcome her accordingly." Flopping back into his large oak chair with a heavy sigh, he smiled at the rest of the room.

There was a slight shake of her head at the responses as the others, she thought they might have trouble getting it so spelt it out, and seems even then they didn't seem to get it. I mean she never really mentioned how she saw it all to her friends back home, but she thought maybe being honest here some of them might get it, but that was looking like a bust for now. Maybe it was just the definitions being different to each. That was always an option unless it got broken down, but that still needed both sides to actively want to get to the bottom of something usually reserved for things like actual debates. In the end, time might be the best answer to it, not everyone was as fast as her on the uptake after all.

Keeping a relaxed smile she chuckled lightly at Grey's response before making a faint finger-gun gesture at him "Well I did hear a real hero outa be a little stupid sometimes, but you are closer to the truth of it. Might as well break it down a bit more though. Doubting to me? it keeps it at the front of the mind to question and dig deeper, really getting to know them. Trust? well, that's giving up digging deeper, kinda lowers the overall importance, as I said, Apathy." She shrugs to herself "But hey maybe I just value real understanding more. Out of sight out of mind just doesn't work for me"

She did however idly move her attention to the newly revealed psychic, while she had been cautious of such previously having it confirmed did make her thankful for her mother's little exercises. While it might not be able to completely block it, she, sure enough, was capable of making it a headache to try, given the speed, she tended to think through any information other than flipping surface emotion would make it more of a noise than anything intelligible.

It was at this point that the new arrival showed themselves at the door to be introduced by Grey, Bree's eyes blurring once more before speaking with a grin, resting her chin on a hand, a wider grin as her voice came out as a playful taunt "Has Lebowski not been entirely truthful and open JJ? In any case, welcome to the clubhouse Mette. To catch you up, the old-timers are playing sugar nannies, Free education of your choice, and... Ideological differences in interpersonal relationship values" she counts each off on her hand.

Nicholas Hart
Nicholas examined the newcomer from top to bottom. He was very interested in her because he could feel her aura's power. Her aura glows positively and Nicholas wanted to know how and why it did. He listened to what Bree had to say once again and didn't think too much about what she said because she was still going on and on about not trusting Grey and Phillips. He just brushed off what she was saying and focused his mind on other things.

Nicholas wondered when everyone else would finally come to their senses and trust Grey and Phillips. He just knew he could trust them. Something about them made them trustable. The funny part is that Nicholas doesn't even know why they seem trustable. He was just going to go with the flow. That is all. Sooner or later they would all end up having to trust them fully

By now Nicholas regretted not getting food because he was hungry. But his anxiety got the best of him and he doesn't want to speak up.

He also still wondered where his bedroom was but that was for another time.

{Mette Beltran - Aurora}
Mette gave a prepared smile to the man who opened the door. She opened her mouth to return his greeting, but it died in her throat as she realized he hadn't spoken in english. She understood it completely, but it wasn't something she remembered learning. She wanted to demand what he had just spoken in, but there was some form of meeting or orientation going on. Considering the supernatural and extraterrestrial were a simple reality in this way of life, the answer would likely be some form of universal translator, either in technological or spell form.
Following Grey in, Mette nodded to the other young heroes congregated there. She shot her host an odd look concerning the "personality" line. What was that about? This guy was turning out to be very odd indeed.
"Very kind, I'm sure." She replied to Bree, sounding a little guarded. "Glad I can at least keep up with my studies."
She put down the box of her valuables and her duffel. She regarded Bree again, a calculating look on her face.
"You don't seem particularly happy with the situation. Care to share why?" Mette asked.
She did another scan of the room. This might have been her own feelings projecting out, but it felt a little awkward here. The two "sugar nannies" didn't seem completely on the same page. Was that a good thing in this profession? More questions were piling up, and she already had her fair share. Maybe things would be better one she had some food.

Virgil gave the newcomer a friendly smile as she entered. She didn't look entirely comfortable being here, though he was starting to feel that way too. It made him wonder again why he was on the reject list. He understood some of them here being on one, but he had always followed the hero way ever since starting. He just couldn't figure it out. Still, he waved to the newcomer along with a smile.
"Hey, welcome. The adults are still trying to figure us out, and I think we're doing the same." He nodded at her, and pointed out an empty seat, in case she wanted to sit.
Virgil restrained the urge to roll his eyes at Bree, but it was a challenge. Honestly, she was starting to sound like one of those freshman philosophy students who thought they could figure the whole world out just by saying nonsensical things as though it was every day. He had to laugh though when she started talking about the dysfunction between the two. Honestly, though, it was surprisingly common for discord in the lair between partners, he had found. It would be much more interesting to see how they cooperated in the field together. His ears did perk up however at the mention of school being paid for them, anywhere they wanted to go, and Virgil felt a great burden lift a little. His pride wanted to protest, but it was far outweighed by his day dreams of what life in college would be like.

The grin on Brees's face refused to fade as she chuckled at Mette's statement "Oh quite the contrary mon cheri, everything considered it been quite enlightening and fun regardless of a few setbacks on the whole understanding front or perhaps misunderstanding would be more accurate. But if you don't mind me striking the don't from your question I can answer it truthfully" redirecting her hand she fans it across the rest present "People here are interesting for the most part, and it's going to be fun picking them apart as I get to really know them. Be it seeing how sparky deals with that seed of doubt growing behind those eyes after his little rejection revelation and having the question run a few laps" gesturing to Virgil for a moment "Lewbowsk's Inner Demons and Super Ankle Monitor, the real face behind Ms Minds masks, Black Parades whole baggage, anxiety and low blood sugar...and a few other things from around the room" the grin widened a little further as she gestures to each person one as she spoke.

Leaning forward somewhat her eyes stopped blurring and now seemed to remain locked on Mette, Virgil had at least been right about the whole figuring each other out part, so why not show another card from her hand to raise questions and see how they all react. Sure she could have pointed out a few more things she figured out but she might as well go for the bigger ones over the smaller ones, like the wear of the shoes of each telling her a few things, cuffs, nails and hands others, and a whole lot more.

"So yeah, it's going to be really fun. Though I guess you are free to doubt it if you want" Letting out another playful laugh as she finishes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back