• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy You Look Familiar (Strawberry and Cursie)

It was rare to see a car on the streets. Most of the residents in the sleepy town of Angola Bay were still too attached to the horses they raised to draw their carriages to dare to replace them with an unfeeling machine. Even so, to own one leisurely and keep it maintained and running was little more than a show of great wealth since the invention was popularized. Politicians were among the first group that the idea of owning a car gained traction with, so the presence of one was associated with the presence of superiority, as it were.

So when the pearl white metal box arrived late on dreary afternoon, most people who were still traveling on foot moved to the paved walkways to gawk. Man and beast alike seemed enthralled by its presence, opening trying to take a peek into the windows, to see who had come to visit such a small community on a day like today. Inside, the interior was plush and covered in a warm red velvet, and the young woman being chauffeured almost seemed to blend in with it all. She was a thin, pale woman-- tall, with slender, angular features, and a carefully painted face. Her lips and her dress were as red as the seats of her car, along with the wide-brimmed feathered hat that she wore. She kept her dark eyes pointedly forward, ignoring all onlookers with a bland expression, her legs crossed at the ankles and her gloved hands folded in her lap. Her hair fell upon her shoulders in perfectly formed ringlets, and every jewel she wore on her fingers, around her neck and dangled from her ears were encrusted with rubies.

"You would think they'd never seen royalty before," she sniffed, a slight wrinkle to her nose. She glanced down to her right, where the covered cage remained undisturbed. "This is all your doing. I hope you know that."

She did not get a response, nor did she expect one, so she returned her attention ahead as her destination finally came into view. She had heard many rumors about the potion shop on the edge of this town. To her dismay, it almost looked abandoned. Even through the rain, it seemed like there was a steady streaming of smoke coming from the charred spots left on the building. Had they not bothered to remodel at all? Despite her immediate dislike of the place, she had to go there. She had been driven all this way, and there were very few on this side of the country that could do just what she needed in time for the gala in the next town over. She had to see it for herself.

The car pulled up in front of the lonely looking shop, and she squinted at the window. There was a light on, at least. So this hadn't been a complete waste of time just yet. She waited as her driver came to open the door for her and put up a large umbrella to shield her from the elements, then offered her hand to be helped out of the car. Between two fingers, she carried the cage by its handle and walked up the cobblestone path to the door. It opened and a tiny bell chimed, announcing her presence in the most underwhelming way.

"Hello?" she called into the uncertain dim lighting of the room. The shelves seemed stocked... somewhat. But there was no one directly in view. She pursed her lips with a frown. "Is anyone here? I need a potion made for me. I believe you should have been expecting me from the letters I've sent. I am Allora Bordeaux, heir to the Red Wiccan empire." She waited a beat, then gave an impatient sigh. "I would advise that you do not waste any more of my time..."

Hayes Potion Shop. An ordinary, run-of-the-mill potion shop on the inside and out run by a single witch.

It hardly looked like anything special. During it's grand opening, there were shelves stocked with potions in many shapes, colors, and sizes. From liquids to dust to smoke, potions of all sorts were displayed beautifully behind glass casings. Herbs, seeds, and dried flowers were displayed in the front counter in order of potency. Flooring made from dark stone was imbued with glow spores that lit up whenever someone would step on them. All in all, it practically looked like any other potion shop.

Yet, over time, the owner of the shop and her dedication for maintaining the interior and exterior design soon faded. The glass windows and casings that were once as clear as day became dirty with dust. Fresh flowers and greenery that decorated the windowsill wilted and dried up. What were once beautiful, bright lanterns and lamps of various colors that hung from the ceiling were switched for ordinary, cheap yellow bulbs, some of which needed replacement weeks ago. It wasn't long before the shop became dilapidated and misshapen from the neglect. Regardless of it's condition, the shopkeeper was content with leaving it as is. Her time was better spent creating potions or experimenting with new ones. People visit to buy potions after all. It busied her mind and that was something she was grateful for. Then again, she rarely seemed to keep track of what potions she needed to restock and what ingredients she was lacking to make new ones. It was a wonder how she's kept it going for so long.

On the other hand, the only reason people continued their patronage at the ever decaying shop was because the shopkeeper, Lucia Hayes, was a well known witch back in her prime. While she didn't have a publicly known specialty or affinity, she was known to be a very powerful witch. More often than not, her love for exploration and research provided her with valuable knowledge of all things magical. It was only natural for people to assume she ran a potion shop after her 'retirement' because she was capable of making potions that other witches would struggle with. They didn't know the truth behind her reasoning and Lucia was fine with that as well. It was better if people didn't pry.

A small chime echoed throughout the shop, but she ignored it. She rarely had customers these days and couldn't seem to recall expecting anyone today either. Lucia was too busy working on her latest potion in one of the back rooms anyway.

"The fumes must be getting to me," she mumbled while she rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand. A long sigh left her lips as she stared at the potion she was cooking up. "I must have... added the juniper berries too soon?..." Lucia pondered and took a couple steps back. She could only stare at the bubbling concoction in front of her.

Were they even ripe enough yet? Maybe they didn't soak in the Lotus Pond water long enough? Did I measure the proportions exactly as the book says? Oh.. what if it isn't the berries... What if I did something else wrong? I'm sure I added four cedar leaves. The recipe did say cedar was a suitable substitute if I didn't have any cypress leaves. Or... Was it the duck egg?

It wasn't until she heard the voice of a customer that she came back to her senses. The name 'Allora Bordeaux' was a name she had read over in her head many times. To actually hear it spoken by someone other than herself made her realize someone else was in the shop. That was the name of the witch who had been sending her letters recently. How could she have forgotten!?

Lucia threw a bucket of water over the fire while accidentally splashing some of it into her latest experiment. A small wince was stuck on her face, but she shook it off. It's not like it matters. The potion was a failure anyway.

"I'm coming!" she replied a little too loudly.

With the energy she had left, she ran out of the room to reach the entrance of the shop. She was a little out of breath, but Lucia greeted her guest with a pained smile while lowering her head.

"I-I apologize Miss Bordeaux! I mean Lady Bordeaux! I mean, I..." she bit her lip, not wanting to fumble around with her words any more than she already had. How could she, today of all days, be so disoriented. She stood up straight, lacing her fingers together with a guilty look on her face. "Forgive me. I'm a bit out of sorts today."

Lucia looked around nervously, but found her tired amber eyes stuck on her new guest. The cage she brought into the shop was a little intriguing, but it was nothing compared to the woman carrying it. Allora Bordeaux made Lucia seem so much smaller than she really was. While the other decorated her fingers with pretty red jewels and gems, Lucia's were bare and bony. Lucia's dark blue dress seemed to be a little too loose for her, with flowy sleeves that reached just an inch or two past her wrists, the skirt length falling a few inches above her ankles. Just below that were simple, black flats that were marked with little scratches on the edges. Her long, dark hair was up in a messy bun that had strands spilling out while her thin bangs that grew past her chin framed the sides of her face. Outside of the occasional lip balm, Lucia kept her face bare. She didn't bother with makeup, especially with how messy her work could be sometimes.

Seeing just how disheveled she was in front of someone so important made her tighten the grip she had on her hands. Besides the occasional customer, Lucia wasn't use to seeing new faces stop by her shop.

"Again, I apologize for my..." Lucia moved her wrists up and down while sweeping her fingers towards herself. "I... I tend to get caught up in my work and forget to keep my appearance in check. Despite this, I do take great care and attention to my work." She looked away at that last part, thinking back to the potion she was in the middle of just a few moments ago.

She clasps her hands together, unknowingly making a quick clap noise that made herself jump but tried to not let it faze her. "That's right. You're here for a potion," she took a short moment to take a deep breath. Once she collected herself, Lucia gave the woman the best customer service tone she could muster. "How can I help you?"

The appearance of the shopkeeper was not well met-- Allora's nose wrinkled as she took in her appearance from head to toe. This was the fabled potion-smith? The one who was going to make all of her problems disappear? She had heard such tales of grandeur, she had been expecting someone who could at least put the effort into looking like more than a common tavern wench. The Red Witch's eyes hooded with an emotion somewhere between pity and disgust. Perhaps it would be fortunate for her to do her business with such a high profile client. She could consider this an act of charity, if the quality was to her standards. Pleased with her logic, she chose to give a tight smile instead.

"Never mind that, dear," Allora said, her tone taking a syrupy quality, to attempt seem more patient and kindly. She went over to one of the display cases and set down the cage so she could slip off her large, luxurious coat to hang on a hook that she had seen upon entry, and pulled up her gloves to ensure that none of her skin came in contact with any of the dust that seemed to coat every surface here. Ugh.

"I'm here because I need a small glamour potion made," she said as she turned back to Lucia. "You see, there is a gala happening in my family's estate-- a posh affair really. But as of late, my father-- Marquis J. Bordeaux, as I'm sure you're familiar-- he's come into a bit of... trouble." The smile, which had been barely there to begin with, faded as the irritation settled in. "I have been planning this event for several months now. The Blood Moon holds a certain importance to the Red Wiccan family..." She paused and took a breath. "I would prefer to have no interruptions at my event. So, I need you to make me a glamour potion that 'encourages' guests to remain content, at least for a half a day." She offered another smile. "Perfect harmless, nothing lasting. But I would like for my guests to have a good time while they are with us, you understand."

There was a sudden discontented sound from the cage, something between a grumble and a sigh. The perfect expression on Allora's face broke as she snapped her head in its direction and scowled. "No one asked you for your opinion!" she snapped at once, the rouge in her cheeks darkening considerably. There was no further response, but Allora was effectively ruffled as she turned back to Lucia.

"I would do it myself, but because of that..." She took a breath, attempting to calm, then spat: "thing, I have not been able to produce anything worth trying." She cleared her throat. "So. Can you do it?"

Lucia seemed to have shrunk while in the presence of someone from the Red Wiccan family. She didn't look the least bit decent. It didn't help that the shop was in dire need of a makeover as well.

I should clean the shop after she leaves... It needs to be presentable when she comes back.

The self-pity she felt was alleviated once she realized the Wiccan witch still wished to do business with her. Sudden eagerness to fulfill the request, and distract her mind with work, was something she desperately needed. It might help get her back on her feet. Surely it would make her feel like her old self, especially when working with a woman of such high caliber. A small smile was returned to Allora as Lucia did her best to look attentive and sympathetic to what her new job would be.

Glamour potions... That should be easy.

A quiet sigh of relief eased through her body at the thought of it. It wasn't exactly something huge, but it was a good start. Glamour potions were typically easy to create, though some of the ingredients used in the mix could be difficult to procure depending on the specific potion. Lucia nodded in understanding since she had customers who wanted glamour potions made in the past. Potions that could make someone's attire light up like the moon and stars. Potions that could temporarily change a person's physique. Potions that could make an amateur into a hotshot for a day. No matter how big or small the request was, she was able to create them.

However, after listening further, a twinge of shame made her smile grow weaker. She didn't realize the potion would be used like that. It left her feeling a bit unsettled about the idea.

She wants to force them to be in good spirits during the event...

Yes, it was harmless, but Lucia wasn't someone who enjoyed using magic that could forcibly influence others.

Technically... she isn't doing anything bad. And I haven't made a potion like that in a long while. I think a weak euphoria potion or maybe a Shined Bliss will do the trick. The effects are only temporary after all. Oh no... Do I even have all the right ingredients to make them?...

The alarming sound that came from the cage broke Lucia's thoughts as she directed her attention to it. Whatever it was, it was very distressing for the smaller witch. She wasn't one to simply ignore negativity if it was around her.

"Lady Bordeaux," she spoke in an apologetic tone, not wanting to offend the woman any further. "I don't mean to pry but I couldn't help but notice whatever's in that cage is causing you unneeded stress. Of course, I will gladly make the glamour potion as requested, but if you would like me to help you with... um..." she looked over to the cage for a short pause then back to the Red Wiccan, "I can also create something to help you with that, if you wish."

The resulting smile on Allora's face was tight, and with the way that her eyes narrowed it, it was clear that it was an expression fueled purely by contempt. "My dear," she said, really emphasizing that tone of sweetness so her next words came out of concisely as possible: "I could not expect you to fix a broken familiar." She paced away from the cage, putting proper distance between herself and the object of her misfortune. "To be frank, no one could. Never mind how delicate the magical capabilities of familiars are. But that one..." She made a disgusted sounding scoff and waved her hand. "I only keep it because it was an expensive gift from Father. He said the buyer went through great lengths to get me a rare and powerful familiar, and the stupid thing won't do anything that it is supposed to!"

It would seem to others that the sacred bond between a witch and her familiar would be a much more private matter, but the Red Witch would complain to anyone who listened. She had no use for such a worthless thing, and made sure that everyone knew her plight so that they would take pity on her.

"I'm sure you know very well that without a proper familiar, a witch's potential can never reach true fruition," she went on as she began to pace the room. "My family name alone holds great power. But that isn't enough." She glowered at the cage with her arms folded loosely across her torso. "Every one of the great names in my family had a loyal familiar at their side. My great-great grandfather was one of the first to get one after the discovery." Her words took a more forlorn note as she shook her head. "I simply cannot imagine being the first in my family to result to potion crafting instead of using my own skill." She paused, then tacked on: "...No offense to you, Lucinda."

She sighed and continued to pace a little. "All I have managed to do is get it to shape shift small enough to fit in that cage. If I'm going to be forced to stay with it, I don't want to have to look at it. It isn't even the right color..." Allora had gone off on her own by this point, on a tangent about how people should feel sorry for her and her less than desirable familiar.

Even so, there was a low rumbling from cage again-- this time, a much sadder noise than the disproving yowl from before. Something was trying to peer under the heavy red cloth, but not having much luck without trying to push it out of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back