Experiences You know an RP is great when ...

Crayons

Iconoclast
OK peeps! It's time for a positive thread about great RPs. How do you know when your RP is awesome?

I will start:

- When you are constantly in an excitement feedback loop because either it's your turn to write a post and you're excited to write it, or it's your partner's turn and you can't wait to see their post.
- When every time you or your partner suggest something in the world building stage the other one is "YESSSS! AND..."
- When your post frequency goes up way higher than normal.
- When you obsessively draw characters from the RP.
- When talking about the RP OOC is just as fun as actually writing the posts.

How about you?

Bless you for making a thread with positivity!

Anyway, for me: All of the above!

Also: When you can't stop planning a million things you want to happen, and run them by your group! (Aw, this can sound obsessive, though...)! I find when I really sink my teeth into it I can't help but talk to my friends about it and start planning for future events and seeing if there's anyway to make some thoughts come true!

I love throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what will stick!

- When you’re constantly brainstorming about it even when going about your day
- When 2 replies in you and your partner are already making memes about it

Also, this:
- When every time you or your partner suggest something in the world building stage the other one is "YESSSS! AND..."

It really already starts in the planning phase, imo.
When you're world building or plotting and both contribute to the plot, both are excited about it and throw in ideas and twists and suggestions.
I've had so many rps where my partners just went 'okay' and 'up to you' about literally everything and it just makes me feel like my partner isn't excited about the rp at all, which can be really frustrating and demotivating.
When my partner is excited too, and both are into the plot, planning and plotting all
Kinds of scenarios that may or may not make it onto the rp just for the fun of imagining our characters in a situation like that.
Pure gold.

Oh my gosh, yes to all of that. Especially the "YES, and" bit, my partner and I encounter this phenomenon constantly, like our ideas were made for each other.

Also wanna add a good one... People have been going on about how planning can be the most exciting, but to be honest, something unexpected happening can be even more so. Your characters that you thought would act x way are actually acting y way, or someone decided to throw in a giant monster, or a life-threatening situation.

I find that the best times are when my partner YEETS all of our characters into a dangerous situation without an escape plan, then puts it on me to find a way out. It makes me really have to wrack my brain on how to escape, and then when I do come up with a plan and it either works or even doesn't work... Amazing. There have been some amazing times there.

Come to think of it, all of my favourite times in roleplay are unexpected. Every scene, every ship, every desperate situation... It's a risky move, but when it plays out juuuuust right, the thrill is unreal.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, yes to all of that. Especially the "YES, and" bit, my partner and I encounter this phenomenon constantly, like our ideas were made for each other.

Also wanna add a good one... People have been going on about how planning can be the most exciting, but to be honest, something unexpected happening can be even more so. Your characters that you thought would act x way are actually acting y way, or someone decided to throw in a giant monster, or a life-threatening situation.

I find that the best times are when my partner YEETS all of our characters into a dangerous situation without an escape plan, then puts it on me to find a way out. It makes me really have to track my brain on how to escape, and then when I do come up with a plan and it either works or even doesn't work... Amazing. There have been some amazing times there.

Come to think of it, all of my favourite times in roleplay are unexpected. Every scene, every ship, every desperate situation... It's a risky move, but when it plays out juuuuust right, the thrill is unreal.
I want to make experiences like these for people one day. The thing i love most is the awkward moments that get people dead from embarrassment or spooky intense moments.

Yes yes yes to all the above! The general passion everyone has for the RP from the start is what makes it so enjoyable for me.

- When you are constantly in an excitement feedback loop because either it's your turn to write a post and you're excited to write it, or it's your partner's turn and you can't wait to see their post.
Okay firstly YAAAASSSS I get so excited when someone is up for world building with me <3

Also
-I am thinking about the RP and the story even when I am not online, planning things for both our characters and what not.
-Even when we can't reply or have to go on hiatus we talk about the world, the story, and the characters.
-We already have a sequel RP ready even before we finish the first (This has happened twice to me and I love it xD)

-I am thinking about the RP and the story even when I am not online, planning things for both our characters and what not.
Heavily this, too!! I've had so many times where I simply couldn't get my mind off a roleplay.
Especially apparent after my RP partner replies and I already immediately know what my character is going to say or do in response. At that point, all I can think about sometimes is the reply I'm going to post... and then what their reaction is going to be. So on, so forth XD Fun times.

yes to all of that
except for post frequency maybe. I have very low post frequency in general and it depends not on the rp but on availability irl more than anything else. So rp can be great even with posts once a month for me because it would have everything else XD

but the "YESSS AND" moments and excitement to write/read and obsessing talking OOC and thinking about it are definitely the signs.

Everything here <3 ++

When your RP makes you reread/rewatch the original piece it's based on <3 And not just bits and pieces just so you get the universe right, I'm talking all of it because it made you rediscover why you loved that fandom in the first place.

When you feel just so...overexcited after posting your reply, because you can't wait to see what your partner has in store for you this time.

When starting to write headcanons about your OCs, because they would totally do that if they were let loose in an attraction park for a day.

When you start making diabolical plans in OOC for your poor poor OCs who really did not ask for any of it.

When you play spot the references in each answer <3

When an RP shows someone the appeal of a character that they didn't really care about before, that's magical.
I don't think it's something I've ever done, personally, but my pal's writing showed someone the appeal of Superman. It was neat.

OK peeps! It's time for a positive thread about great RPs. How do you know when your RP is awesome?

I will start:

- When talking about the RP OOC is just as fun as actually writing the posts.

How about you?
Oh I certainly get excited while waiting for a new line
When I'm doing an Rp with someone.😄

When my partner and I can gossip like old ladies in the OOC. Whether it’s about the roleplay or just our lives.

Also when I have like complete family trees for side characters that will be mentioned in passing like twice. If I am that invested in the world than I am having a BLAST.

When it's 3 a.m. for at least half of you but you're still coming up with ridiculous scenarios for your characters, all of which are making you wheeze while laughing as your sides split

and it's not even because any of you posted recently; you're just all flipping insane over this RP

When people start shitposting and making memes about the RP in the Discord server.

... when a good 75% of the things that are happening is improv/unplanned, but somehow it just all works so well. Not that I don't like plotting (on the contrary!) but when you get a partner that takes the subtle details and little flourishes in your post, and amplifies and weaves them into a cohesive story, don't you ever let them go.

I do 1 x 1 story building RPs of each person simply playing characters we made. It's a great RP when the story and characters just flow great with each other. Things seem to just fall into place and the story builds itself easily without rail roading attempts from someone to force it somewhere. And OOC communication about ideas and characters is fun and shows interest.

When you find someone who rp a romantic rp or platonic rp, that makes both crushes shy/trying to hide idenities from each other though they dont know that the other is their friend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back