Story You Cannot Possibly Face The Living

pythonorm

Robot Enthusiast
The sidewalks shimmer with evening dew as I follow your footsteps in the fresh frost. You are incredibly ordinary. Extra... ordinary. Dull brown clumps of frizzy hair, the shine stolen by the frozen ice sidewalk. You walk quickly. You feel me behind you.

You feel my breath on your neck, no matter how far I stand behind you. I vividly imagine the light leaving your eyes. You never had much light to begin with, the way your struggles struck your aching, fearful heart. I wish I could capture that little light in a littler jar, just to rattle it like imprisoned prisms of fireflies.

I’m closer now, inching advances forward like the ants beneath your feet as your hard boots crush them. I nip at your heels in the dark. Like icy water advanced by the tide under your feet. The moon shines brighter. My shadow looms. Your breath becomes shallow, sunken, surreal. Your eyes glance back fearfully. You see nothing. Nothing behind you. It was you alone on the empty streets of ice sheets. It is a beautiful, empty, ominous night. You know something is coming.

They can always sense when their time expires.

My glassy eyes of void watched with the little pity I could muster. There was no saving you now. I understand your fear. You are destined to die tonight. Everyone is destined. There’s no escaping. No begging or prayer or angel could pull you from my grasp.

Your breathing becomes labored as I approach. I could let you live, not die in the freezing dark. But death would find you once more. It is the design. It is your time. You’ll no longer be fine. You can’t escape the death grip of life’s diagram. It is time to say goodbye.

Goodbye to this world, no next one to go to. You sense my shadow grow as I wait. Yet there is still nothing behind you. The utter loneliness to suffer your fate in is suffocating. You feel as if you are choking on the thin night air. A cold sweat breaks across your forehead and you begin to run.

I keep pace easily as you bolt into the woods. The wind whips and howls deeply in your ears as your fate grows near. The roots of primal fear prick your skin akin to the thousand needles and pins. Your feet struggle to keep up with your racing unpaced thoughts. I can hear them.

‘Who’s there?! What’s happening... Who’s behind me?’

You wouldn’t want a response.

You feel it, death on your heels.

You focus too much on what’s behind you to see what’s in front.

A root snares your foot. You go down.

Hard

Hard as the rock that pierces your skull.

Your brains spill out,
All the knowledge left to freeze in the night.
Alone.

Alone in death as you were alone in life.

The extra ordinary don’t matter to death itself.

To me.

I take your soul, the clock chimes midnight as I sever your lifeline. It is easy, ready to be delivered, My work is done. I move on to the next you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back