• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Wyrmfell: The Great Revolt

Archie

Not even my final form
Supporter
I wrote this up last night, wanted to create an extensive and unique fantasy world (that vaguely is an allegory for the fall of Rome) to set a couple RPs in. It's long, so the tabs are in descending order of importance (and ascending order of longness). Hoping to get an adventure style RP booted up in this for the first one!

Summary: Vampires were created to destroy the Dragons, who burned to embers the civilizations of the various races of Elves, but the Vampires would prove even harsher masters. For three centuries, the Ostian Empire has dominated Wyrmfell, imposing a strict racial hierarchy based on which races pose the greatest and least threat to the Emperor. However, civil wars and wars with foreign powers have led to a proliferation in the vampire population, far beyond the blood supply. Faced with a Blood Famine, civil wars have resumed, and some desperate vampires have even fed on the human and Dark Elf "middle class" of the Empire, triggering a widespread revolt. At the same time, the Empire is faced with a war with its Eastern neighbor, and and invasions by refugees escaping the Orcish hordes by crossing the Ostian border.

Will Ostia overcome this crisis as it has so many others? Or will this be the nail in the coffin for an empire slowly in decline?

• Early Wyrmfell

3316855f1cf94fb6f14f538fa5a33ab7.png

Mythology holds that the Nix (Wood Elves), the most magical but physically small elves, were the first residents of Wyrmfell, coming out of the Great Forest. From them evolved the Alvhana (High Elves) of the plains and Draseni (Dark Elves) of the Near East. The Wood Elves mastered Druidic magics, but insisted on cooperation between races and the balance of nature. The Dark Elves, however, created their own cities and civilization in the fertile Eastern river valleys, and mastered Blood Magic, which they used to wage war on one another, and the other Elven races. The High Elven tribes banded together under a loose confederacy, innovating Arcane Magics to resist the Dark Elves. This left the Elven world divided, and vulnerable to the threat from above.

frej-agelii-eh-k0470-d5395-18357-meteorshower-frejagelii.jpg

Wyrmfell literally means "Dragon fall". It is said the Dragons were from another planet, another celestial sphere. They arrived on comets and meteors, smashing into our world. First, they enslaved the Drasenes, then the Alvhana, before burning down the Great Forest of the Wood Elves. The Dragons warred with eachother, with each warlord wanting to be Shahanshah, or King of Kings, among them, ruling all of "Drakanshahr", or "Dragon Country". Through interbreeding between Dragons and Elven slaves, a new race was created - the Humans. The Humans, seen by the Dragons as their children, occupied the middle management of the Dragon Kingdoms. The Dragons were even prouder than the Dark Elves, and soon fell victim to internal division. It was at this point that Ibatalesh, the greatest of the Dark Elven Blood Magicians, created a disease that would change the world - Sanguis Mortuus, or "dead blood", known today as vampirism. The virus killed the body, stopped its blood and melanin production, making it unable to survive without feeding on blood, and vulnerable to the sun. However, it magnified the senses, made the brain and magic more powerful, and created a race to challenge the Dragons.

The Vampiric Conquest

Out of the ancient Dark Elf city of Kordanush, Ibatalesh - now immortal - led his forces to attack the Dragons of the East while they slept atop their mountains. Vampires operated at night, when Dragons slept and could not see them from the skies. Ibatalesh converted members of all races, except the Wood Elves, to his creed. Historians suspect he viewed the extraordinary magica sensitivity of the Wood Elves as a threat that, if combined with vampirism, would create a vampire powerful enough to challenge him. Over time, the Dragon Kingdoms of the continent fell, and Ibatalesh founded his capital in Ostia, a massive island overlooking the Central Sea. However, as the Dragons fell, other races arose. From the regrowing Great Forest, the Wood Elves once again sought to build Utopia. The Alvhana created tribes to the North, waging their own war against the Dragon King. The Dark Elvish blood mage Kathanos had founded Athago, a trade city on the Southern shore of the Central Sea, which rivalled Ostia's power. Ibatalesh was a great conqueror, but hsi court was filled with schemers. He was stabbed to death by men he thought were his friends on the floor of the Vampiric Senate in Ostia, before being able to conquer Athago. His son Vingarmo took over, but fought ten years of bloody civil war against Ibatalesh's assassins to regain control of Ostia.

fighting-dragon-pic.jpg

During the early Ostian period, a hierarchy developed of races. Vingarmo fought bloody wars against the Alvhana and Wood Elves, and subjugated their races to enslavement, burning the Great Forest. The Humans, traditional middlemen of the Dragon Kings, retained their administrative position in the new empire, and the most powerful of them received the gift of Vampirism. Meanwhile, the Dark Elves were treated inconsistently. The tribes of the Near East, which supported the Vampire dynasty from the start, had a high rate of vampire conversion. After Vingarmo conquered Athago, however, he enslaved the Athaginian Dark Elves, and banned them from receiving the gift.

The Fall of the Dragons

After the conquests of Ibatalesh and Vingarmo, Drakanshahr was confined to a mountainous plateau to the East, where the numerous peaks gave them a military advantage. They could hide in the abundance of peaks, using the day to burn Vampiric camps and cities. Desperate to protect themselves, the Dragons taught their human children the magical Draconic language, which allowed them to summon fire spells. This led to victories, and the Draconic conquest of the Near East, in which the Dark Elves, blamed for starting the Vampiric conquest, were subjected to enslavement and mass murder. However, Human dragon-speakers soon outnumbered the Dragons themselves. Under Khosrau I, the humans rebelled - burning the Dragons to death with their own magical language, and declaring Khosrau the first Human Shahanshah. Drakanshahr was renamed "Adar", or "birthplace". It is rumored on the eastern continent of Yan-Shi that Dragons still exist, though these rumors are unconfirmed.

persian_caravan_by_variones-d97voec.jpg

The Unending War

Just as Vampiric dominance of Wyrmfell seemed unchallenged, the Adarian threat emerged. Mustering disciplined legions of humans, with the "Fire Priests" capable of speaking Draconic at their core, the Adarians were masters of the day, while the Vampires were masters of the night. By day, Humans marched and burned Ostian cities. By night, the Vampires struck human camps, at one point killing Shah Khosrau I. His successor, Hormizd, came up with a revolutionary strategy - during the night, Fire Priests would cast a ring of fire around each Adarian camp, thwarting the Ostian strategy. At one point, Ostia itself was under siege. In desperation, Ostian Emperor Tullian II ordered the mass conscription of Humans and Dark Elves into his army, and started generously giving out the gift to any warrior who killed an Adarian in battle. His measures rescued the empire, but set in motion an unending cycle of decline.

Decline of Ostia

The original Vampire Emperors were careful to limit the gift, for they knew giving it to too many would tax the blood supply. After the peace of Corganum, which recognized Adarian Control of the Near East while Ostia controlled most of Wyrmfell, the much-expanded Ostian army was left idle, with many more Vampires. All vampires were nobles in Ostia, but since Tullian had failed to conquer Adar, there were no new lands to give them. This led to a period of civil war called the Crisis of the Second Century. Since no stable family ruled Ostia, the throne was open to any vampire. Any vampire could give the gift, so each usurper converted a huge amount of human and Dark Elven supporters - some desperate ones even converted High Elves. This strained the blood supply of the empire with each successive civil war, ruining the economy.

latest

The Great Famine of Ostia

Eventually, vampires were over 10% of the Ostian population, a tenfold increase from the time of Vingarmo. This made it impossible for vampires to survive unless they fed on 30% of the population. Emperor Vindictus III introduced a sinister policy. Since Wood Elves and City Elves - Elves, who, through interbreeding with Humans, increased their breeding speed - bred quickly and were mostly enslaved, he ordered huge corrals of them to be built where they would be fed like cattle, and used for a stable blood supply. Vindictus' solution, however, only put a lid on the problem. A Second War with Adar required him to convert more to Vampirism. Meanwhile, his farming solution had increased the City Elf and Wood Elf population to over 50% of the Empire, while 10% of the remainder were vampire, and only 30% were Human and Dark Elven. Making matters worse for stability, most of the Dark Elves were enslaved descendants of the Athaginians.

The Rise of Mor Kalon

The Vindictian system of raising Vampire livestock outraged the moral sentiments of slaves and, more importantly from a political standpoint, Humans and Dark Elves. City Elves were half Elven and half Human, and their use as cattle outraged some Humans, who functioned as the Empire's middle class. The feeding on other Elves also troubled Dark Elves, and rumors swirled that soon the Vampires, due to short food supply, would feed on Dark Elven slaves as well. An Eastern Dark Elvish priest named Mor Kalon created a philosophy in which he claimed the Vampire Gods were false, and that there was only one True God, who loved the meek and the poor. He called the Vampires offspring of demons. The provincial government executed Mor Kalon, but his death did not stop the spread of Kalonism, which infected the ranks of non-vampires.

latest

The Second Great Famine and Barbarian Invasion

Vindictus II's solution to the famine was temporary, since it allowed Vampire Emperors to once again favor the short term, raising more Vampires to fight Adar, while ignoring the long term. Eventually, Vampires once again hit 10% of the population. So began the Second Great Famine. Civil wars broke out over cattle farms and the blood supply. Famine and warfare killed off 50% of the Vampires in a few short years.

Worse yet, a threat was rising to the Northeast. Another breed of Elves had evolved in the Uraghi mountains. Called Urags, or Orcs, these green and grey-skinned muscular monstrosities made excellent horsemen and warriors. They invaded the High Elven barbarian tribes of Northwest Wyrmfell, and forced a mass migration of refugees West. The barbarian Elves had mostly been converted to Kaonism, conflicting with Vampiric religion. Vampire Emperors were in the awkward place of being forced to give land to barbarian High Elves while most High Elves were enslaved.

c18392e858e9437c6a96a85718950d46--high-elf-character-ideas.jpg

Yet worst of all, during the famine, vampires, desperate to feed themselves, started feeding on Humans and Dark Elves. This triggered the worst crisis of all. Due to barbarian invasion and civil war, the blood crisis kept getting worse, as conflict destroyed the highly complex Blood Farms, and most slaves either escaped or starved to death from a disruption in the food supply - feeding Elves from birth to young adulthood required enormous grain supplies.

The Great Revolt

Three years into feeding practices on Humans, massive rebellions by Humans and Dark Elves, who were the majority of the footsoldiers in the army, started a new war with Vampires. These soldiers utilized Kalonist healing magic to gain a parity with Vampiric Blood Magic that they lacked before the blessings of the One True God spread among them. Today, Ostia is once again fractured. To the West, the Great Revolt is tearing the provinces asunder. To the North, Elven Barbarians and mercenaries are becoming increasingly restless. To the East, the Adarians have waged a new war, deeming Mor Kalon a ripoff of the two-God religion of the Adarians, and forcing both worshippers of the Vampire Pantheon and Kalonists to convert.

Hoping to run more than 1 RP in this setting. The first RP I'm thinking should have an adventure setting, meaning the Kings and rulers will be off limits for now, though nobles won't. Later RPs might be more political though there will definitely be a political element to this one.

Please let me know if you guys would be interested and what you think! I'd like the world to be collaborative and would love some suggestions!

Last edited:
I find this setting pretty interesting and I love how you put so much thought and detail into it. (I also feel a tiny bit overwhelmed by the amount of information, but I expect I'll remember stuff better eventually if I re-read the tabs when I'm less tired, haha.)

I'm not sure if I just missed it or if you haven't stated it yet, but what would be the plot of this RP, specifically? As in, what faction/etc. would our characters be in and what goal are they are trying to achieve over the course of this RP? From the title, I'd assume we'd most likely start with one of the rebel warlords or in Ostia?

I love the detail and would be very interested! But I’m new to this and I’m not sure how it all works, do you pm me?

I'm interested, though as said before it would be nice to know what kind of plots there'd be, which races are playable, etc

This seems like a wonderfully vast setting to play in. I would love to know further if you have any more specific plots or locations in mind for the general story to unravel, or would each of us just pick a side in this enormous setting and start from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back