• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom WWZ - IC

"Of course he’s welcome inside; I let the kids in here after all. Besides he deserves a treat as well, if I’m allowed."

Jonah laughed as he leaned back in the chair. Miller nodded as he spoke, "I think he can handle the occasional treat," the MP said with a smile. Jonah met his gaze, gesturing back towards the corridor. Ronald nodded, excusing himself from the table as he made his way to the living room. Decker didn't want Royce to miss out on his treat, after all.

As Ginny inquired about the fences and remarked on the lack of aptitude of her sister and her family for farming, Jonah cocked his head thoughtfully. "It's going well, all things considered. The help you've sent us and the recommendations you made have been a big help, by the way," he said with a thankful inclination of his head. "Still, I imagine we'll be into it well into the evening. Katie's boys didn't do bad at all once they got the hang of things. They're hard workers, helped me and Roberto fortify some sections of fence."

Jonah heard the front door open again, followed by the cooing of children who have just seen a "puppy". Hearing Miller's deep voice amongst the clamor, he shook his head whimsically, knowing the man was likely introducing Royce to the kids and Marta. He watched as Ginny worked, though it made him uncomfortable to see the woman up and about especially preparing a meal for his benefit. Jonah nearly got up and offered his help, though he knew he'd likely only get in the way when it came to cooking, not that Ginny would even accept his help. He couldn't deny that the smell coming from the stove was heavenly; his mouth watered and his stomach growled quietly at the promise of real, fresh bacon as opposed to MREs and cold, canned stew.

Hoping to break the silence, he spoke up, "Your sister isn't in the family business, I take it?" He hadn't seen her husband around or indeed even heard a mention of the man.

Ginny smiled hearing the kids fawning over Royce, no doubt the brave little canine was loving the affection. Her own two kids had always wanted dogs as pets. They had two once upon a time, before Joe had passed way, both were amazingly loyal hunting bred dogs, but she couldn’t bear the thought of owning one since. She was glad to hear that she was able to help with the fortifications of the farm, but had no doubt that more work would be needed, not to mention more repairs as they continued to wait for transport. Jonah inquired about her sister and her nephews and Ginny shook her head slowly.

"No, wasn’t really my family business until I was with Joe," She shifted her stance, waiting for the bacon to finish rendering she turned to lean her back against the counter and face Jonah as they spoke. "Her husband has a beef farm one county over, they had reduced their herd and were looking to sell; he wanted to retire. The kids, the boys, are her step-sons, Katie was never one for children herself so she lucked into a husband with near teenage boys already." She gave a slight shrug, but continued. "They meant well, the three of them, but even her husband isn’t very hands on with the business. It had been in his family for generations, they are a big seller to national fast food chains. He was in Las Vegas when all of this-"She waved a hand around her, "Started. Haven’t heard from him since he said he was renting a car to drive home."

She gave a sad smile. "Katie is taking it well enough, but the boys. I know they need to keep busy, keep to keep occupied; to not know. I couldn’t imagine how hard that would be."
Safton Safton

Jonah nodded silently at Ginny's explanation of Katie's family situation, leaning back into the chair as he slowly allowed his posture to relax during their conversation. The boys being Katie's stepsons explained the lack of family resemblance, though he was glad that there didn't seem to be any sort of animosity between the boys and their stepmother -- he couldn't say the same for other families he had known over the years.

The mention of Katie's husband had Jonah pursing his lips, gaze lowering to the table. "Sometimes knowing is just as hard," he murmured under his breath, more to himself than Ginny, as the image of Ian and Rich how he had found each of them flashed through his mind. He felt a pang of sorrow in his chest and suddenly snapped back to reality, realizing how the comment likely came across as he looked back up at her. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean--" He sighed. "I'm sure he's all right. Communications being sparse like they are..." he said, his voice trailing off.

Ginny blinked, caught off guard by Jonah's comment, she flushed deeply as she came to understand her error. He offered his apologies but she shook her head, raising a placating hand. "No really, it's my fault. I know everyone has lost through all of this, not just Katie. Don't apologize because I was being inconsiderate." She offered an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry for your loss." She knew the look of heartache, the haunted look if someone that watched their loved one die; she had seen it in the mirror for years after Joe had passed away, and some days it still reflected back to her.

She turned back to the wood stove, using an oven mitt she pulled the 'bacon, from the heat and replaced it with a fresh pan, pouring in the egg mixture. It immediately started to sizzle and she poked at its edges to loosen the cooking eggs. Satisfied with how it was cooking she retrieved more of the Johnny cakes she prepared earlier and set them on the stove top to warm. "You should call Miller back in,"She said to Jonah, breaking the awkward silence. "Food is almost ready." She was already collecting a set of plates from the cupboard and setting them on the counter.
Safton Safton

Jonah was reassured that Ginny wasn't offended by his reply, though he hadn't wanted to make her feel guilty or insensitive. He had asked her about Katie, after all. He returned the smile meekly in an effort to reassure her, but couldn't bring himself to reply. For a moment, a silence settled over the kitchen, the only noise the sizzling of the eggs. He was snapped from his trance as Ginny spoke up, asking him to fetch Miller. Jonah nodded, deciding to do so personally... if only because his curiosity was piqued after what he had heard from the living room.

Standing up, he made his way back down the hall. He wasn't surprised by what he found waiting on him: Royce sitting patiently, tail thumping lightly against the floor as several children fawned over him while Miller smiled at the scene. "C'mon, you two. It's almost ready," Jonah said with a grin. Miller and Royce followed him back to the kitchen. Upon seeing Ginny, the canine made his way over to her excitedly, taking a seat next to her and panting expectantly.

"You've made a new friend," Jonah said, taking back his seat at the table alongside Miller.

vdTd3oo.jpg

With Jonah gone, Ginny assembled two plates for the men, once more setting aside the hot pan and dragging a third onto the stove top, this one a metal kettle. She was thankful it was still warm from earlier and it wouldn't take long to heat. She glance towards the two men as they returned, offering them a smile, but Royce soon distracted her as he came to sit beside her. "Hello you!" She said in a chipper voice, leaning down to stroke her fingers through his fur and fluff him. "Such a good boy, you you gotta wait to be fed just yet." She released the dog and stood once more, in time for the kettle to start whistling. She pulled it from the heat and poured the steaming liquid into a French Press.

Take the plates, two mugs and press onto a tray she shuffled back towards the table and started placing their food before them. Each up was then filled with coffee from the press and a ceramic pitcher of fresh milk and a small bowl of sugar left for them to serve themselves. She returned to the counter, and where Royce was seated obediently. "And for you sir." She took out a glass plate and extracted the cubed dried venison she had re-hydrated in water. She put the bowl down on the floor for the small beast to enjoy his victory meal as well.

She glanced finally around the kitchen, satisfied there wasn't anything she could do but wash up; and she would leave that for later. She came back to the table to reclaim her seat, stretching out her leg to rest it on the free chair on the opposite side of the table from where Jonah and Miller were seated.
Safton Safton

upload_2017-7-30_22-30-30.jpeg
Jonah's mouth watered at the sight of the feast Ginny placed in front of the two of them. He felt a momentary pang of guilt that he was enjoying this while his team (save Miller) were stuck with the regular foodstuffs, but the scent wafting up from the plates had a way of assuaging his conscience. He picked up a fork, taking a bite of the fluffy, flavorful eggs followed by the bacon. The latter brought a subconscious groan of delight as he savored it. "Thank you, Ginny. This is amazing," he said sincerely.

Miller nodded in agreement, his mouth too full of food to verbally agree. Jonah glanced at the floor to see Royce greedily gobbling up the meat he had been provided with, pushing the bowl across the floor as he ate tail wagging all the while. Decker grinned at the sight before looking at Ginny, her leg propped up once again. After swallowing another bite of egg, Jonah looked down at her ankle. "How're you feeling?"

Jackson looked around the small tent slowly as they entered it. While the trip to Washington hadn't gone without its bumps and bruises, he could gladly say he and Houston had at least finally made it. Though after the screening, when they took all their weapons, Jackson did of course feel uneasy about it. Now sure sure it was policy now, but that wouldn't change the fact he did not like it one bit. But at least if worse came to worse, Jackson could defend themselves with no real weapons as they themselves technically are one. A bit of a standoffish way to see it, but what would you consider yourself if you had the capability to end a mans life with your bare hands? Anyways, with that out of the way and the duo finally out of quarantine induction, Jackson set their back pack down and unstrapped their now weaponless holster from their leg, setting it down next to their bag. Afterwards the young man did the very same with the padding they had purchased not long ago before happening to meet Houston. Laying down on a soft bed mat that was laid out, Jackson turned towards Houston with a chuckle. "So, we finally made it eh bud? Ahhhhhh...shit man, so what do ya think the plan is for you now? You still gonna head to Nashville?" Jackson asked with a curious but at the same time relieved tone to their voice now that they realize, for the time being, they won't have to deal with infected or bandits and get any more blood on their hands than they did on the trip here.

Houston
"I'll probably head where ever they tell me to go, and by what I've heard, that's where they're sending us." Houston put his belongings on the bunk next to Jackson's. This was the first time that he had not been threatened by the infected that had bothered them in Albany. "I'll tell you what, I'll be glad when I get to an actual bed." he sat down on his bunk and organized his stuff the way he wanted.

Dead Inside
A year would pass but not a day went by where Benny didn't regret in some way how every little thing that happened or didn't happen might have changed the outcome. Maybe if he wasn't trying to be strong, maybe if he had just stopped even for a few seconds to rest, maybe he could've stopped her. Maybe he could have saved her. The pain of never being able to change what had happened ate away at him until he was a shell of his former self.

Benny knew it wasn't fair to his child to lose both parents. He had to be strong, it was more than just a promise he made to his wife. Being there for his son meant more than just pushing by, day after day.

Benny left his job working with fireworks. He couldn't relive those sounds anymore. There was no passion, only pain.

Wasting his time on the internet he caught the attention of investigators quickly. Not long after terrorists attacked Boston, an individual was researching, posting on forums to find the answer. He wasn't trying to hide, only trying to understand and find some closure. His research would help investigators track down how the terrorist managed to create the bombs and follow through with their plans.
Still Living
Benny managed to get a job that was suited more to his life at this point. He could spend extended periods at home, away from other people and focus on research. He had to move on and take care of his son. Moving away from Boston they settled down in Malakoff, Texas. It was small enough that Benny could live quietly but Karl could still go to school without being too far away from home.

A father does what he can to raise his child in a world ravaged by mad men, twisted thoughts and cruel designs. A child should deserve to live a life of innocence away from the pain and harsh reality of man's mortality.

Karl was never the type of kid to whine or beg. He was always polite and only asked for things he needed. Of course, what kid doesn't get excited when he's been given a new toy to play with. Karl's collection of consoles and video games was limited but he learned to appreciate what he had. He never liked asking his dad for things and even started collecting recyclable bits and pieces to sell and so he could buy his own things.
The Calm
The days started to go be like clockwork. Benny would take Karl to school and even chat with the other parents a bit before he would head back home to test out new theories and solutions. After school Karl would always find his dad waiting, ready to head back home. They would play around a bit, shooting at cans with BB guns or even go our for a hike. During dinner they would talk about their day and anything new they may have tried or learned. Then they would relax, Benny usually catching up on some TV shows while Karl played his video games.

Every Friday was special and Benny made sure that Karl's lunch time was a surprise. Karl's classmates were so jealous when his dad walked in with ice cream cake to share with everyone all because the day was so beautiful. Benny had figured out how to be there for his son and knew Mary would have been proud.
Panic
All the other families had already left Malakoff. Afraid that they might get forgotten, left with no one to help, the people moved towards the bigger cities. Desperation really brought out the ugly in people as they would harm their own children, seeking medical attention and a way into what they thought was safety.

Benny stayed with his research in case he was needed. Tension throughout the country made it an easy target for terrorists to strike and take over. He wanted to make sure that there were no details missing in his report and verified all his resources again and again.

Karl didn't have anyone to really spend time with and so he found ways to keep himself from growing bored. He still had his video games but he also found he had more time to go out on his own little adventures.
It wasn't much of a plan but the boys had stockpiled more than enough food to last them for a year. Benny even took his shotgun out of storage with reports of people going savage and attacking others on sight.

Ginny smiled and nodded to Jonah’s thanks for the meal,” You should see what I can do with real food.” She commented with a laugh. He was mentioning the injury and she gave a non-committal shrug. “It’s been worse and better since I hurt it.” She leaned over to replace the icepack. It had long since melted but it was still cooler than the warm air inside the heated kitchen. “But I’ll survive. Just you wait I’ll be back in the saddle in no time.”

She glanced back to see Royce had cleaned his bowl as he had nudged it across the kitchen floor. She was glad he had enjoyed the treat as well; it wasn’t likely the dog was very high on the priority list of things to be fed, though she was certain that neither Miller nor Jonah would feed themselves before the dog. She patted her lap to catch Royce’s attention and she was delighted when he furry beast padded across the distance to take a seat next to her. Hand fell to his head and she gently stroked his fur and ears. She looked back to Jonah as a thought came to mind.

“There are a few things I wanted to mention, now that you’re here and seated.” She said with a small smile. “The transport that is coming, from what I remember it’s only transport for the cattle and the diesel tanker to keep them running, right?” She wasn’t waiting for Jonah to answer; Ginny knew her memory was correct. “Sergeant O’Donovan said I could fuel my truck, which is also diesel, from the tanker, but any of my farm hands would have to find their own way to Nashville. This wasn’t really an issue at the time because none of their cars were being used, but since then Charlie and the gang burned up a lot of our resources.” She didn’t want to linger long on the negative topic, what was done was done and no way to change it. “But, I know the local school had two school buses still parked in the lot when I was scavenging a few weeks ago, and Charlie didn’t get to my slip tank. I was hoping I could get your help getting the busses back here? So my people don’t have to worry about how they’ll get to Nashville?”
Safton Safton

Nari and her co-pilot Boo had headed south towards their destination for the day. Truck rumbled along the mostly clear roadway, Nari careful to avoid any major snares and blocked paths. Over the months trapped within the Circuit the scavenging team had done a great deal of clearing wrecks and abandoned vehicles during their travels; you always needed a clear path back to safety. The two were lucky with their trip today; having not really run across anything too hazardous and arriving at the car lot and plant had been unscathed.

The pair had done a quick sweep of the area, Boo really taking the lead on this. Nari, while a gun toting Texan her entire life, was far more comfortable with her partner’s abilities to get a head shot from a distance than herself. Satisfied it was clear, the surrounding area mostly plains and woodland, not much commercial and no residential to speak of, Nari got to work starting in the plant. She was delighted to find that the building had been ignored during rioting, which was not really a surprise, but she would have thought someone who worked here would have come to the mostly concrete building for protection. She immediately started loading the trailer with the sheets of metal and tools to continue her work building dead-proof vehicles for transit.

“Henley was last to the meeting this morning,” Boo said matter-of-factly as she kept a watchful eye out for any unwelcome visitors wandering in. “Looked like he had a roll in the hay, if you know what I mean. Said he was doing ‘stuff’, got any ideas what that means?”

Nari paused in her work, turning a curious look to Boo and seeing the other womans knowing smile, she raised a hand and pointed down at herself, a slow smirk crossing her lip. “I’m stuff.” Much to Nari’s delight she watched Boo cackle with laughter.

Jonah listened to Ginny's proposal intently, setting his fork down as she spoke so that she understood she has his undivided attention. He clasped his hands together on the table, nodding periodically as Ginny laid out the situation. After she finished, Decker closed his eyes in thought as he imagined the logistics involved, weighing risk versus reward. In the end, particularly with Ginny asking, there was only one answer that came to mind. "We'll do it," he said with a smile. He saw Miller glance at him in surprise from the corner of his eye, though there was an unmistakable expression of approval.

"...But I have a few conditions to make sure this gets done right. One: we scout the school first to see just what we're walking into. If the Infected are too numerous, we call it off. Two: we keep the team as small as possible, in and out. I'll lead it, but I need a local to guide us."

He wasn't sure O'Donovan would approve of the decision, but the man wasn't here. Jonah was, and he along with Chalal had been charged with calling the shots in the field. Besides, the idea of driving off to leave a bunch of refugees to their own devices didn't sit well with him in the least... and he found himself wanting to get on Ginny's good side. Abandoning her people -- useful, hard-working people -- was no way to do that:

Ginny smiled upon hearing Jonah's answer; she had been worried that he would decline her request and leave her resorting to doing what she had with Charlie: heading out on her own with a select few to get it done herself. She paused as he soon added his conditions, neither of which she could argue with in all honestly. "I can take you." She stated simply, still smiling. "It's my kids school, I know the area since I'm there a minimum of twice daily." She assured him, leaning down to adjust the ice pack slightly.

"It's not inside the town directly, at the northern edge of it," As she spoke her free hand drew and invisible map on the table top. "The whole yard and parking lot are fenced off from the fields around. It's been months so I would guess that the grass and wheat around has grown out of control. I picked up Jacks and Liza-May the day the president made his final speech. The Reserves were there helping the school shut down and get the kids home safely." She recalled then that Charlie had been there, and very helpful to her early on. "The buses are always parked in the front of the lot, next to the exit, but I don't know where the keys would be." She admitted. "Maybe in the main office, in administration?"
Safton Safton

upload_2017-8-11_0-7-19.jpeg
Jonah pursed his lips at the idea of taking Ginny with them on a mission that could very well be dangerous. The prospect would give him pause under the best of circumstances considering her importance, even more so with her injury. He tapped his fingers against the table idly, having set his fork down as he processed the information, listening intently. When she finished, he gave her a sympathetic look. "Can you draw us a map? Or send someone else local, who knows the area? I -- we -- can't afford to risk putting you in danger again," he said.

Decker continued, knowing she'd likely argue the point. "I want to help your people and get those buses. I do. But if it means putting you in danger..." he said, his voice trailing off as he shook his head. Miller glanced at his Sergeant, then at Ginny, before looking back at Jonah and turning his eyes uncomfortably away as he continued his meal.

Ginny hadn’t really thought Jonah would allow her to go, she had been hopeful she could eliminate the need to put anyone else in danger; she wanted to protect her people, but when Jonah started in on asking for a map she knew it wasn’t going to be. The end of what he said worried her more so, the possibility that if she didn’t comply, if she didn’t offer up the asked for map or whoever else might be able to lead them that they wouldn’t help at all. She did not like ultimatums, even unspoken ones.

Part of her was rankled, wanting to defy him, wanting to tell him to forget it, that she would figure it out, but then this was the road she and Charlie had already travelled down once and she knew the end result. She didn’t have the numbers or the strength on her side; and turning Jonah and Miller against her could cause large issues down the road. She glanced between Miller and Jonah, swallowed her pride, and spoke. "Marta, she has a son the same age as Jacks that attends the same school." She didn’t like the idea of sending the older woman out into possible danger, but she hesitated before she said the next name. "Charlie." She knew Jonah outranked the Reserve, that he could be ordered to help them but thought it may create more animosity between them. "I have – I have brought this up to him in the past, a few months back. He knows the busses are there and turned down our request for help. I would have gone sooner, but they made it clear Nashville wasn’t coming for us. There wasn’t any point then, to get them if we had nowhere to go. His unit was stationed there after the Panic, after the president’s speech until O’Donovan sent them here. And he’s a local. He knows the town."
Safton Safton

upload_2017-8-13_12-3-19.jpeg
Jonah could see the indecision on Ginny's features, wondering if he had put her off by denying her the chance to tag along. He genuinely wanted to help her and her people by getting those buses, but he could only go so far in doing so. Endangering her in the process was where he drew the line... professionally and personally. Glad to hear her acquiesce to his terms, she offered up two names that would suit their needs. He shook his head at first. "I won't take Marta. She's your friend... and no offense to her, but she's untrained. And by the looks of the living room, she has her hands plenty full as it is," he said with a vague smile.

He paused, thoughtful, before nodding more to himself than Ginny. "I'll bring Wheeler along. Let him earn his keep after what's happened lately between your people and his," he said in a hushed tone. Jonah knew he was likely crossing certain lines speaking so candidly with Ginny, but he found himself wanting to establish trust with her after what the Reservists had put her and her people through.

Ginny nodded as Jonah’s decision to take Charlie; she didn’t want Marta to go, but she had to be honest with him, she was just as qualified, if not more so than Charlie was in this situation. She gave Jonah a slow smile as he commented making the man earn his keep, "I’m sure he’ll be ecstatic." She leaned at the table, nudging his neglected plate back in front of him. "Better finish up, I don’t know how many more breakfast’s I can sneak you two." But she made a point of reaching down and petting Royce’s head once more and murmuring in almost baby talk to the four legged beast. "But you sir, are too cute to deny treats."

From the living room came a cacophony of children’s screams soon followed by what only could be described as a herd of children stampeding through the old house. From both doors to the kitchen the fifteen children housed came pouring in, shouting, screaming and laughing; they bunched around the table; some climbing beneath others attempting to climb the two men seated. From the halls on either side were the sounds of stomping and clearly human voices ‘roaring’. Ginny looked to the entrance where Jonah and Miller had come through initially to see the eldest of her Nephews stomp into view, hands raised in a menacing fashion growling. "I’m going to get you!"

The young man paused in the door way, eyes going wide as he saw not only his Aunt but two of the military officers seated. "Ginny." He said sheepishly, giving her a quick nod before turning and bolting back down the hall, the children soon giving chase in their ever noisy fashion. Ginny glanced back to the second hallway, to see if her other nephew would make an appearance but she saw nothing but his shadow retreating. She glanced back to the two men seated at her table. "You sure you can’t take me?"
Safton Safton

upload_2017-8-18_9-28-7.jpeg
Jonah was glad to see a smile slowly appear on Ginny's face, happy that his refusal to bring her along hadn't been taken personally. As she leaned over to nudge his plate back towards him, he nodded to her in thanks, picking his fork back up and continuing to eat, smiling as she lavished Royce with more attention. He had nearly finished his meal when he heard the sound of a dozen or more children screaming, causing him to jump in his chair as he looked to the door of the kitchen in response to the sound of many light feet padding down the hall toward them.

Within seconds, the kids were flooding into the kitchen sparing barely a wayward glance to Jonah and Miller. They huddled around the table, giggling amongst each other as others even tried to cower behind (or on top of) the two military men. Decker found his bemused glance giving way to a grin as he helped one of the desperate children up, sitting him sideways on his lap. "What're we running from?" he whispered lightheartedly. As if on cue, the sound of "roars" and stomping could be heard from the hallway and soon enough one of Ginny's nephews popped into view, hands raised menacingly overhead. Jonah watched him with a barely stifled chuckle as he looked between the three adults, obviously abashed, before sprinting down the hall soon to be pursued by his former prey in a screaming torrent of padding feet and giddy laughs. Decker helped the child in his lap to the floor, "Go get him!" he said, and the boy was all too happy to comply, following after the stampede with a whooping holler.

Jonah turned toward Ginny with a smile. "I'm tempted, but by the looks of it this place might not be standing by the time we got back if you aren't around." Miller chuckled and Jonah turned to see that he had also finished his meal. With a nod, he slowly stood up from his seat. "Thank you for breakfast, Ginny. It was amazing. I'll get started on plans for the buses. If you need anything, you'll let me know?"

Charlie found himself standing outside the Officer’s Tent waiting to be admitted to speak to Sergeant Decker. The tent itself wasn’t any grander than the rest of the military issued tents that housed the small company now residing in front of the sprawling farm house. It was merely the tent that was designated for the officers to use; it housed the radio that reported and received reports to Nashville as well as all of their ‘mission’ updates and information: local maps, inventory and so forth.

It had once been under his own control, part of his normal routine, but with the addition of the forces from Nashville –and a commanding officer, he was no longer privy to simply enter as she pleased.

The summons had come sooner than expected, the Sergeant had only been at Ginny’s farm for less than twenty four hours, and he certainly thought he had more time before he would be called out of his actions. Rumor was Ginny was going to have him court-martialed.

The idea of this both shocked and enraged him. Shocked because he never thought Ginny would nor could every do such a thing to him, and enraged, well, she had been disobedient from the start. Refusing to comply with his orders, going out to take the kids skate boarding and baking cakes like this wasn’t the end of days.

He had to admit he had lost control of the reins after he ordered his unit to remove their personal effects from the Farm House but he certainly was not about to show the civilians he had no control. Miller stepped out of the tent, holding the door opened and nodding him inside. If the MP was here, Charlie knew he was done. Holding his head high, he stepped into the tent to see Decker standing next to a small camp table covered in local maps. "Sergeant."
Safton Safton

upload_2017-9-10_0-40-27.jpeg
Decker heard Charlie enter the tent, but didn't pull his gaze away from the maps arrayed in front of him. As Wheeler addressed him, Jonah looked up at the man with a nod. "At ease, Specialist." He could see the tension in Charlie's body even now. It didn't take much guesswork to determine why. Calling the man in alone, with an MP manning the door after what he had already done to get the ball rolling on the collection of testimony against him... the Guardsman likely believed he was going to be court-martialed. And, Jonah knew, that might very well be the case...

Just not today.

Deciding to extend an olive branch, Decker spoke up again. "We're putting together a mission. The convoy that's arriving within the week is only set up to accommodate the military personnel here, along with Gin-- Miss Wallace and her dependents. I don't intend on leaving these refugees behind with no cattle and no protection, but many of them have no transportation of their own. It's come to our attention that the local high school has enough school buses to suit our needs, buses that can be refueled here before being used to ferry the civilians with us to Nashville."

Jonah allowed the information to sink in, sparing a quick glance at Miller -- who looked somewhat uncertain -- before returning his gaze to Charlie. "You're trained and you're local. You know the area, especially the school. You'll be joining me and a few others to scout the school, commandeer those buses, and return here. Any questions?"

It was nearing a month since Sergeant Decker and his men had arrived from Nashville and things had not gone smoothly for the small community of people. The transport had been due to arrive six days after the military reinforcements but problem after problem had arisen during their transit to Montana: mobs of dead and living –the latter of the two causing more havoc. The transport had reported citizens following their slow progress almost immediately after leaving Nashville, the populace believing the trucks either had food or was leaving to retrieve it; and they certainly were not wrong. Thankfully, in it’s own gruesome way, those following had long since ran out of fuel and couldn’t keep up with the trucks and the tanker.

Even after this incident others had occurred. One of the two necessary trucks had broken and axel and was delayed until the resources could be sent to repair it. They fell under attack by local gangs whenever they neared a large enough city; people desperately wanting the fuel. The only good news to all of the setbacks was that the path for the farm dwellers had been cleared straight through to Nashville.

With the added delays living on the farm had become a hardship – one that Ginny had persevered through but at a grave loss. Food had become scarce for them; rations wouldn’t hold them until the transit arrived, nor would it supply them until they arrived at Nashville. It forced their hand in needing to scavenge for supplies which brought their own set of benefits and problems to the farm. Ginny had done a sufficient job of scavenging prior to Decker arriving meaning that they needed to travel further and further to find sources of food. It was dangerous, but paid off well for the small community in that, given their location; they often ran into abandoned herds of various cattle and sheep roaming the hillsides.

It had become more commonplace for the scavengers to find domesticated animals over actual food supplies that Ginny had supplied the two military run scavenger groups with trailers to collect the lost animals. Whatever was returned was inspected by Ginny personal and only the best animals joined the herd whilst the rest was slaughtered to fee the community.

Over the weeks her ankle healed, though not perfectly by any means; it was weaker than before –which did not surprise her in the least. She had likely fractured it minorly and without the equipment to see the bone and joint within, rest was the only way to help it heal. Every so often she would wake after a hard stay of walking or rising to feel the pain sting. She ignored it; there would be time to rest later.

Sadly, with the hardship that had fallen over the Wallace farm, many of those that had once come to seek shelter with Ginny and her family, had ultimately decided to try and find safety on their own. It broke Ginny’s heart to see those that she had shared her home and live with for the past year to leave; but she did not try and dissuade them. In the end, when the transport finally arrived, all that remained was Ginny and her kids, Katie and her step sons, the skeleton crew of her farm hands and Marta with her family.

Ginny and her community worked hard to pack as many supplies as they could into the school buses that Decker had retrieved for them. Trucks and trailers were packs with feed for the animals. The cattle would end up on the transport trucks but Ginny had a trailer hooked up to Katie’s truck that would haul the smaller cattle they had collected – sheep and goats mostly and Ginny had her horse trailer hooked to her own truck. There wasn’t a chance she would leave Moose behind.

It was nearing 3am and Ginny found herself restless, they were leaving with first light, still hours off from now, but she couldn’t sleep. Anxious about traveling out in the open, and sad about leaving her home behind, she found herself wandering the covered veranda of the Wallace Farm House in the dark, looking out over the open fields behind her home. She made a promise to Jacks and Liza-May they would come home one day – she only hoped she could keep that promise. Ginny hugged her thick winter coat around her frame lost in thought.
Safton Safton

upload_2017-9-26_11-23-45.jpeg
Jonah opened and closed his eyes several times, squeezing the lids tightly in order to ward off the ever-encroaching fatigue as he continued his rounds on watch duty. He was the "rover" for this shift -- responsible for patrolling the grounds rather than standing a static watch. Though the farm hadn't been subject to another major incursion like the one on the night of their arrival following Ginny's recovery, there had nonetheless been several incidents. No one seemed intent on letting their guard down, not even with "rescue" hours away. Jonah knew that the convoy was nothing of the sort -- simply the beginning of a new journey complete with its own -- and possibly more severe -- challenges.

The previous several weeks at the Wallace Farm had been hectic for Decker and his team, not to mention the civilians in their charge. The mission to the school -- accomplished with a practical skeleton crew led by Jonah and guided by a reluctant Charlie -- had gone off without any major issues. The presence of infected at the building had been high, but mostly localized to the locked gymnasium that had apparently been used as an impromptu refugee center before being compromised. Jonah had shuddered to think of the fate of those within; he genuinely hoped they everyone inside had been deceased before some began to reanimate inside.

In between his duties ensuring the fortifications surrounding the farm were up to snuff and assisting in scavenging missions, Jonah had done whatever he could to help around the farm. Even the basic farming and ranching tasks that Charlie's Guardsmen had seen as "beneath them", he enthusiastically assisted with in whatever meager ways he could. More often than not, this was an excuse to check in on Ginny, to ensure that her ankle was healing well despite her stubborn insistence on continuing to work. More than that, he also wanted to get a read on the woman's emotional state. She was beyond tough at even the worst of times, but Jonah could tell the stress of the upcoming journey along with the heartbreak of seeing her friends and neighbors strike out on their own when food stock began to run dangerously low. The TREPE team had only brought the necessities for several days' worth of operation. The convoy's delay had been nearly disastrous, but they had managed to scrape together enough rations to last.

As Jonah rounded the farmhouse, he saw a figure standing on the porch. Squinting through the darkness, he saw that it was Ginny -- staring aimlessly out at the fields. Slinging his rifle onto his shoulder, Jonah approached the porch slowly, stepping up onto it. "Morning," he murmured with a smile. A cold shiver ran down his body, despite the parka and fleece cap he wore.

Several days passed by as Jackson and Houston more or less lingered inside Washington. Entertainment was lacking as was personal space, as soon as one would leave their tent they were off into the fray of other refugees. But you take what you can get, and in this case, it was safety over comfort. Though even this camp was not the best, military had the place secured sure, and medical personnel would always be around to take anyone who even dared have a case of the sniffles. Despite the false yet believable calm, Jackson could well see that there was still panic in people’s eyes. Just this morning he had seen someone from a new refugee group breakdown, screaming that this wouldn’t work, that the city would fall. This occurrence did not help the already melancholy state of the camp. Truthfully, Jackson was concerned, it happened in Albany, it’s been happening in many other cities around the country and he could not tell himself of false hope when he’s seen it first hand. Earlier yesterday, the man set out to gain possession of their weapons prior to getting here. He was not the first person to arrive here armed and more or less accustomed to this new world's atrocities, so of course they would strip them of their weapons when they arrived. But most weapons that people would show up with were of course illegally possessed, by laws standards at least. Law was something scarcely followed these days. Though it proved beneficial to Jackson when they had went to get permission to carry their M1911 and knife around. Jackson still had their legal New York concealed carry permit, and with a tad bit of a silver tongue, they were allowed to carry the weapon around, even accompanied by being allowed to have possession of their knife once again. His bow though, was still at loss.

Today was a rather boring day in succession to the last few, he hadn’t much to do and simply just lounged around. Well that was until a soldier came to him and Houston’s tent, looking for Jackson. With eyes on the man they were looking for, the soldier spoke, “Mr. Jackson, you’re needed at medical tent 3-A, I’ll be guiding you.” Jackson gazed at the man with a questioning look on their face and shot a glance to Houston who had a similar look and simply shrugged their shoulders. So looking back to man who had came for them, Jackson spoke in a curious tone, “What exactly am I needed for over there?” That question, prompted the soldier to respond as they were told to and in these exact words, “You’re needed for medical examination and job assessment.” Jackson cocked their head slightly and quickly before returning to a more normal position as they said, “Oh, well then.” in response. Then with no further questioning so as to not squander time, Jackson stood up on their feet and trotted over towards the soldier with a cheery smile on their face. “Alright then bud, let's go, I could use some movement anyways in this place. It’s so crowded, ya know?” The young man said in hopes of starting a small conversation or at least lightening the mood. A soft nod and a mumbled agreement were the soldiers only recognition to Jackson’s comments and exited the tent, beginning to saunter off towards the medical tent. After a few passing moments of treading through a crowd and pushing some people out of the way, the young man found themselves at medical tent 3-A. As they stepped in, accompanied by the soldier who came to get him, he was greeted by another soldier who asked that they disarm themself. He, albeit a tad bit reluctantly, handed the soldier their pistol who assured them that they would get it after the medical examination was completed. Jackson nodded slightly and made their towards the reception desk and asked, “Hello, I’m Mr. Jackson, I was called here for a medical examination?” The young receptionist nodded in agreement, “That would be correct,” she said, “if you can just wait over there your medical advisor should be with you momentarily.” Jackson thanked her lightly and trotted off to go take a seat, subtly wondering if Doc Avi will be the one examining him.

vdTd3oo.jpg

Ginny blinked as she heard the voice stepping towards her in the night, she glanced back towards it to see Jonah coming to stand near her. "Morning," She said quietly, offering a polite smile. Over the past while she and Jonah had grown close as friends, closing the distance between professional and personal relationships; she understood well where the line was and who she could trust to blurr them with and who she could not. She pushing back the hood of her coat before stuffing her hands back into her pockets, eyes returning to the fields. They were hours from being on the road to Nashville. The vehicles they could fuel had been packed -over filled in some cases, but there wasn't a single item that wasn't a necessity.

It pained Ginny to know there was much being left behind of sentimental value, hers more than her kids. Wherever she could she had stuffed just one more thing in that she thought her kids couldn't live without, just another memory she needed to store for their sake. She sniffed quietly in the darkness, reaching up to wipe away a tear as it rolled down her cheek but she turned to face Jonah, heatbroken. "I need to do something today, and I know you're going to hate it, but I can't leave without doing this. I won't leave without saying goodbye to him." She had waited to ask -to tell him about her plans. Partly because she tried to tell herself that she could leave without saying her final goodbyes to her husband. After all it had been years he'd been gone, but he was still in everything around her and in everything she was leaving behind.
Safton Safton

Users who are viewing this thread

Back