Tutorial Writing Tips - from someone who has worked in the publishing industry

This right here was gold. I feel the same way, like some writers here really push my writing. This was really helpful and well articulated!

A Great Experience To Read
I feel this is something very important for anyone who wishes to improve in their writing, drawing or anything else they're passionate about. I remember that I started to write a bit more back in 2013, and my first attempts of storywriting were... unpolished, to say the least. Around 2015 I joined a site where users would create characters, write stories and share them. As soon as I arrived I began working on my own stories and characters, but I also looked at some of the work the others were doing. Some people had been on the site for years already, and had made much better stories, and had gained a lot of respect and popularity within the site's community. I admired their work and wanted my characters and stories to be great like theirs.

There were also other users that wrote stories drastically different from my own, and had their own style. Many of them read my stories and gave me writing advice on how to improve. And while not all of the criticism and feedback on my work was provided in a constructuive manner, I learned to use the feedback I had gotten to improve my own storywriting. I tried different things, tried different styles and got out of my comfort zone. Through the constant communication, exchanges and interactions with the other users in that site, I slowly grew as a writer, and I came to a point where I was at a position where other users would look at my work and ask me for advice as well. But I doubt any of that would've happened if I hadn't payed attention to the other writers, tried to improve my own writing skill so I could be as good as them, and possibly better, listened to what they had to say and incorporate everything I learned from them.

Nowadays I still have a lot to learn, and I'm still on the process of improving my skills, but I can recognize that I've grown a lot as a writer throughout the years, and a lot of it was due to the way I interacted with the other writers I met, how I strived to improve, and had this sort of friendly and respectful competition. It's not about pride, it's not about proving you're better than anyone else, it's about learning from each other and improving. No one has all the answers, and there's always someone to learn from everyone else. I remember a phrase I once heard that goes: "Whenever you start feeling superior to someone, remind yourself that this person is better than you at something." Instead of going by the extreme of feeling superior to someone else, or go the opposite way making yourself feel terrible because you think you'll never be as good as someone else, I think the best way we can see it is from a point of mutual respect and admiration.

I met writers that had drastically different styles from my own. And while I've never changed my entire style to imitate someone else's style, I've learned to incorporate bits of information and lessons I learn from other writers and try to implement them in my own way. One writer taught me about making intense scenes, helping the reader feel the raw emotion, to let the characters be vulnerable. Another writer taught me how to writer better comedic scenes and humor. Another writer helped me improve in the grammar department, with things as simple as using the correct tenses throughout the story, and proper formatting. Another taught me how to make characters feel human and three dimensional, more than simple caricatures with cartoony and one-note personalities. I've been incorporating the lessons I learned from each friend I made along the way, and implementing them into my own style, and I think that's really helped me to become a better writer.

The journey has just begun though, and I know there's still tons I can learn to improve even further. The way I see it, the main reason we form a community or a group is to share our work with each other, learn from each other and improve. It's really hard to improve your own writing if you don't have anything to compare it to. It's by seeing other people's work and learning from what makes their work great that we can improve our own skills and become better at what we do. Competition from a point of respect and admiration really is one of the best ways to accelerate the pace at which you improve, and I consider myself fortunate to live in an era where connecting with other people who enjoy writing as much as I do is easier than ever!

Thanks for this new chapter, it's really something I think is very important to understand in order to become a better writer, a better artist, and better at just about anything. It applies beyond just art, and into all different areas as well. I'm also a very passionate chess player, and I've been striving to improve in chess as well, but the moment I started improving the most was when I got in contact with other chess players, and we started interacting, exchanging ideas and learning from each other. And having someone better than you at an area you're passionate about gives you a clear goal to strive for. You want to improve, you want to be as good as they are, or perhaps even better. If you remember that the competition is from a point of mutual respect and admiration, then it'll be beneficial for everyone involved.

Redfork2000 Redfork2000

I so much love your experience that I've decided to make it a threadmark as I find it valuable for others to read it as well. Something you mentioned that I'd like to expand on a bit is: "...or go the opposite way making yourself feel terrible because you think you'll never be as good as someone else,..."

This is similar to advice my bro gave me when I was searching for mentorships. So, long before I even began pushing through my career. I asked him how I should answer interview questions. I mentioned to him that my art isn't great, (it REALLY wasn't great then, but good for where I was at), and that it wasn't anything a mentor would find worth looking at.

My bro said, "Don't say that in an interview. The easiest way to not succeed in an interview is by putting yourself down. If you're not excited about your own work, then how can you expect those interviewing you would be."

That's when it dawned on me that I'd been negative about my art for years. Like I mentioned in chapter 9, I was always far behind my friends, so I didn't think too highly of myself. I didn't want to lie either though. I didn't want to say that my art is just the best, surely amazing. As, that would make me seem blind.

When I went to the interview, I said, "I've got a lot of work to do. My art isn't where I want it to be yet. But in the last few years, I've made leaps and bounds, and with proper instruction and criticism, believe I can make my leaps go even further. (I then went on to explain my dreams and aspirations. Want to be an animator, work for DreamWorks, all the good stuff.)"

My interviewer asked in return, "If you don't become an animator, what would you do?"

I wasn't prepared for it. But my mouth moved on its own and I instantly said, "I'm going to be an animator. I don't plan on ever giving up. I'd have to die before then."

Apparently those two answers were exactly what the interviewer wanted to hear, because he stopped it there and gave me my mentor's contact info. I showed that I was humble, but I also showed this undying need for growth. It wasn't until that interview that I realized that I was more proud of myself than I even knew, and that was something I had to learn. It proves that those you look up to can open doorways and shine a light where you need it.

AEONmeteorite AEONmeteorite I'm glad to hear you've enjoyed what I had to share and believe it to be valuable for others to read as well.

What you mention here is very important. While it's important to not let yourself feel better than others and develop an arrogant attitude, it's also just as important to not go in the opposite direction and putting yourself down. Some people may think doing that serves to show they're humble, or that they're just being honest. In fact I had a similar attitude about my own writing as well before. When I was starting out writing stories and I wanted to show them to someone, I would always start by saying "I'm not a very good writer, but I made this story." And would talk myself down a bit thinking that by doing so I would be showing that I'm humble, or that I'm not blind to my own flaws. But it's not the right way to do it, and just as you said, if you don't think your work is any good, you project those feelings when you talk to other people, and they don't feel interested in your work either.

It's a very instructive and valuable experience, and it really comes to show just how valuable that determination and that burning desire of growth really is. I'd say it one of the most important factors for success in any area.

Redfork2000 Redfork2000

I think one of the best things I've learned was what humble truly meant. I'm religious and one of my religious teachers asked what it meant to be humble. Eventually the teacher said, "It isn't about putting yourself down or demeriting your work. It is about recognizing your talents and knowing where they came from and being grateful for the people that helped you where you are today. The people who aren't humble are those who forget where their start was."

And that was my other pivotal moment. You can be proud of your work and be humble, just don't forget the origins. I think back on my family, friends, art youtubers, teachers/professors, mentors etc, who I looked up to and all that they've provided for me. I'm proud, but I wouldn't be here without them.

AEONmeteorite AEONmeteorite That's really a great concept of being humble. Many times I would feel proud of what I've accomplished, and in many areas outside of writing I would feel a good amount of self-confidence and would start thinking that I wasn't being humble. But having that concept that being humble is to remember and be grateful for everyone who helped you become the person you are today, it's a very good concept. When you think of it that way, then it no longer seems like being proud and confident in yourself and being humble are mutually exclusive. Thanks a lot for sharing that concept, I think many people, myself included, can really benefit from thinking of humility this way.

Many people seem to believe that humility and being proud of one's work are mutually exclusive, thus it's easy for them (myself included) to fall into the trap of thinking that you're either humble by putting yourself down, or that you're not humble because you're confident and feel proud of what you do. But this concept really helps show that humility doesn't mean lack of self-confidence or putting oneself down. It just means that you realize that you didn't achieve everything alone, that you realize that you wouldn't be where you are without the people that helped you, and it means that you recognize you don't know everything, and that you feel grateful for those who helped you be the person you are today. That's the kind of concept I think we all need to keep in mind at all times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back