Tutorial Writing Thoughts! Worldbuilding

Melpomene

Writer of Tragedy|Art by ROYTHEART|
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Worldbuilding

original.gif

Hello my citizens of RPNation. It is I, the Beloved Empress SoundOfSilence, coming to bring you another Writing Thoughts! Before I go into anything, I am going to start off by thanking everyone who likes and reads these. You take time out of your day to see what little ol’ me has to say, and whether you agree with my opinions or not, I have to thank you, as you are the reason why I continue not only making these, but writing and rping in general.

With that said… On with the show!
1545722990873.png

Worldbuilding has become an essential part to many books, movies, TV shows and roleplays. While it is important, I find that it is such a vast and sometimes even daunting part of writing. This makes sense as it sometimes delves into things which a writer may not have thought they would be even thinking about, but is very important to either characters, the world which it is set in, or the plot which is being played out.

I have found some fear it and others love it from afar, wondering how they, too, could utilize this great tool to their advantage. There have also been people that think that worldbuilding is a waste of time and too many people put it on a high pedestal when it is only a bunch of boring details that are unneeded for the story at hand. There are others that believe it is the most important part of the story, and there are also many who don’t care and wonder why I am writing about it right now.

If you are looking for a direct answer, you will not find it here, but you will find my personal take on the topic as well as some things that I hope will provide help to those of you that are scared of this tool, and perhaps give perspective to those that believe it is useless or those that put it on such a pedestal. Overall, I hope to open the floor up to discussion with this so everyone might learn something new about worldbuilding, methods behind it, when to use it, why use it, different ways to use it, and the common mistakes and good practices that have been done in the past with it.

This will be in 6 different sections, in case you want to skip, bookmark, or only wish to read a specific section and no other:
  • What is Worldbuilding?
  • Why Use It?
  • But is it Really that Important?
  • Aspects of Worldbuilding
  • Mistakes That Might Be Made
  • Great Methods to Enhance the Experience

With that, let us begin.

What is Worldbuilding?

I know what some people may be saying now. Why would I even decide to add this part in, as someone who clicked on this probably already knows what worldbuilding is. Most people who have entered the writing realm have probably heard the term before, especially those that are into the sci-fi and fantasy genres, but with every one of these Writing Thoughts,I like to first ensure that all of us are on the same page when it comes to the language that is being used in the text.

When I talk about Worldbuilding, I am not simply talking about conjuring a new world. I find that there is a distinct difference between the two that must be addressed. For me, conjuring a new world is just that, conjuring. The details and intricacies are not yet there, only the fact that the world exists and is different from our own in a few ways. Worldbuilding is taking that thing that has been conjured and building on it (hence the name) until you have defined the smaller and finer details and intricacies, showing to what extent these differences affect the entire land.

Worldbuilding is there to show just about everything about a new world. From the geography of the region, to how people usually transport themselves from one place to another, all the way to what might be seen as proper table etiquette. All of these things It is what makes for some movies, TV shows, books and series to be so immersive, as the world is so intricate that you can almost feel yourself entering it.

That is not to say conjuring should be swept under the rug, as just about every story requires you to conjure up a world and as I will go on to talk about later, sometimes simply conjuring is all that you need for a story. It can provide enough of a background to throw us into a story that we will not only enjoy, but perhaps never forget.

While both are perfectly valid, I ask to simply remember to separate the two of them. I say this because I believe forgetting to separate these two is where some confusion can come from when it comes to worldbuilding and why some people find it so daunting. Separate creating a location from creating a setting, separare creating background from creating a history.

Why Use It?

“Worldbuilding is a waste of time!” I have heard some say. Well… One person say, mostly people say: “Worldbuilding is overrated and not as necessary as most people say. What are the actual benefits of it?”

That is what I want to address first, the actual benefits of building a world rather than only conjuring it. And these benefits are many, as many who have read well-made sci-fi and fantasy worlds would probably agree, are many. Of course, whether you can reap these benefits depends on what type of story that you first sow, but that will be addressed later in this work. For now, I only want to list the benefits.

1. It can enrich the environment

I think we all know that there are some universes that just would not be the same without the vast amounts of worldbuilding that were put into them. Not only because it helps for the audience to sink into the environment, but also because it shows the hardwork and dedication that the writers put into making sure it was a success and something that many people could enjoy experiencing.

One of the most blatant examples of this are games in general. Whether it is a normal tabletop game like Dungeons & Dragons, or a video game like World of Warcraft. There are many that could have just been okay, but the amount of worldbuilding that went into them, building up the nations, the creatures, the customs, the roles, the geography and the overall way of the world brings a whole new level to them that makes them beloved by everyone that plays them. And sometimes even people that do not play them.

Take a look at the Star Wars Extended Universe. I know people that do not even like the original Star Wars movies, but these books and shows that go farther into expanding the world around the story are beloved by them. Even to the point that some people, who have never seen a Star Wars movie before in their lives, would see one if they made a movie adaptation of Grand Admiral Thrawn.

This is why I believe that enriching the environment is one of the largest benefits of worldbuilding. A very rich environment in a Sci-Fi and/or Fantasy setting, especially a large scale one is absolutely perfect.

2. It can enrich the story

Now, this does tie into the first point, as the story itself can be affected by the environment. While this is true, there are many aspects of worldbuilding that might directly influence the story itself with no middle man. Which aspects depend on the world and the story, of course, but it does not change the fact that often times doing decent worldbuilding around the things that affect the story is what can make it far more memorable.

Lord of the Rings would not be quite the same without all of the generous worldbuilding around not only the ring, but Sauron as well. Through the worldbuilding, the questions of who Sauron is, where he came from and why he and the ring are so dangerous. This gives a way for the audience to be more immersed in the story and fully see the size of the main character’s goals. It also helps explain who Gandalf is, the elves, the hobbits, the Valar, it all helps enrich not only the environment, but in turn the story.

The same can be said for something like Avatar: The Last Airbender (the show, not to be confused with the non-existent movie). The worldbuilding around the nations, the various tribes and types of bending and the Avatar himself led to an enrichment of the story. It would not have been as investing if we only knew that Aang was the Avatar and nothing about the Avatars, or the fire nation, or the Air Nomads, or the water tribe then the story would not have been quite as impactful as it was.

The list can go on forever about stories that have seen benefits from their world’s being built up. A Song of Ice and Fire, or Game of Thrones as others might call it, would not be quite the same if there was not world building around the houses and their political ties and the culture of the land and whatnot. The Witcher , the book series at least, has racial issues between elves as a major factor in the main conflict and had there been no worldbuilding around the elves, the nations and the cultures then these racial issues would not have made as much of an impact.

3. It can enrich the theme

This may coincide with the plot a bit, but when we are specifically talking about the theme, in a Fantasy or Sci-Fi world, a theme can be even more poignant if it is backed up by good worldbuilding. It is undeniable that a theme of a story can be just as important as any other part of it, as it is supposed to be the message that the author is attempting to convey, the lesson to take away if you will, and if there is a way to make that message more poignant than it should be take.

As an example, if a theme of a work is racism, then it is important to know much about the racism that takes place in the story. The history of it, how it is implemented into the culture of that society, the racist acts, slurs the progress made against it. I use racism as an example because it is something that does not come from nothing. Of course, no one is justified in being racist, but it is important to note that it is not simply something that pops up and is just there, often times it is deeply implemented into culture and was caused by something. In a Sci-Fi or Fantasy world, simply claiming that this species/race is suffering from racism with nothing that actually shows the true horrors and creation of racism, a theme like this is more likely to fall flat.

A theme that is supported by the world behind it will start a better discussion than something that barely scratched the surface. To worldbuild and show how a culture treats women, why that might be unacceptable and why they do it and how this impacts the women in such an unrighteous way would be a better supporter of the theme than constantly having a woman character be semi-badass before turning to say: “something something it is hard to be a women here.”

At something like that, people shrug their shoulders and say: “Uh… discuss?” Not: “Oh… I can see how this reflects on our own society and the treatment of women.”

Needless to say, worldbuilding can help a theme immensely, depending on what the agenda of a theme is. In some cases, worldbuilding can be what makes or breaks that theme depending on how relient it might be on the world and society it is implemented in.

4. It can enrich the characters

Worldbuilding is something that can be extremely beneficial to the characters if it is allowed to be. The cultures and history created for different nations and groups of people can help to define who a character is, not only personality wise, but to the story as well. It can help add another layer of interest to them, or be what influenced their beliefs and upbringing. It can even go so far as to be the main cause of goals and show core values.

While it might not always be that the worldbuilding was done directly because of the character, there is still the undeniable fact that no matter why it was done, it is still an interesting facet of that character’s design.

I will bring up Avatar: The Last Airbender again, because one of the things that made the characters so rich was partially due to the worldbuilding around them. We can see how being raised by the air nomads and their culture and beliefs affected Aang, especially towards the time he is about to have his final confrontation the the fire chief.

In Star Trek, Spock being a mixture of Vulcan and Human, something that is seen to be generally looked down on, is a major factor to his character. As well as the basic culture of the Vulcans.Throughout all of Star Trek we are able to not only sympathize with his character and understand his plights because we can see how his character came to be through the worldbuilding of his home planet.

Overall, worldbuilding can be a great tool when it comes to building the Sci-Fi or Fantasy world. There are obviously multiple benefits to it, even more than what I have listed, but I thought this would serve as a way to give an idea as to just how much worldbuilding can help and why it is something that I think should at least be thought about before it is something that is completely discarded.

That being said, let’s address the other end of the spectrum.

[Font=UnifrakturMaguntia[SIZE=22px]][/SIZE]But is it Really that Important?[/Font]​

While I love worldbuilding in all of its forms and I am absolutely in love with it, I have to admit that more people are on this end of the spectrum than those on the other. The people who regard it as the best thing that could ever be done to a story and claim that worldbuilding might be the most important part of writing any kind of work in Fantasy or Sci-Fi. I have to say that I disagree with that, as a lot goes into determining what is the most important part of a story and why, so blindly claiming that worldbuilding is the most important just is not sound.

So, no I will discuss why it might not be all that important.

1. It distracts from the Story/Character/Theme

Now, the worldbuilding being the concentration might not always be a bad thing, but it is when certain things are being neglected in favor of worldbuilding. While this could be seen as something that might be more of a problem with how the author themselves are balancing out the worldbuilding with everything else, however, I do think it is a good example of how worldbuilding can hurt an author as much as it can help an author.

Good worldbuilding is no replacement for a well-developed story that is interesting and keeps the audience engaged, well-developed characters that are fully rounded out and engaging, or a well thought out theme that can be implemented. While worldbuilding can certainly still be appreciated, when it comes to books and stories (please note that I am excluding videogames and roleplays from this for a reason which will be explained later), the worldbuilding tends not to be the thing that draws people into the novel, but rather the characters and the story.

I find that this becomes most prevalent in stories that are attempting to be epic, and to do that have a lot of concentration on the world and backstory rather than the characters. Of course, some of the things that come to mind have terrible worldbuilding that it chooses to focus on, making it all the worse. The… ‘story’ that comes to mind when I think of such a thing is Jupiter Ascending, which was… apologies to those that enjoyed it, but a god awful movie. None of the front characters actually got any development due to them wanting to seem like a grand epic in Sci-Fi and Fantasy land. And it was no surprise it was panned because no one could get hooked on the characters or story.

Another example would be another space opera, in fact THE space opera itself: Star Wars. As I said earlier, its universe and worldbuilding helped make a richer environment, which is why it has an entire extended universe, but even with this environment that helps draw people in, it doesn’t change the fact that when characters and stories fall flat, the universe it is set in won’t change the audience reception. The prequel trilogy is still panned, Jar Jar was not overcome by the awesome world it was set in.

2. Sometimes (extensive) worldbuilding is just not necessary

While there are plenty of benefits to worldbuilding, there are times when it is simply not necessary to the story, characters or theme of a story. There are times when only conjuring up a world will be enough to serve what is needed. Perhaps worldbuilding would not distract from the other parts, however just because it would not hurt to have it does not mean that it would help to have worldbuilding in it.

Simply look no further than some Disney movies to see that conjuring the world might be all that is needed.In Beauty and the Beast we are given the setting and the set-up, we know and enchantress cursed Adam to become a beast due to him turning her away when she searched for shelter. Then comes in Belle and well… it’s a tale as old as time. There was no need to explain the magic system, the monarchy and what the people thought happened to it, or where the enchantress came from and why she was there.

Beauty and the Beast is my favorite animated Disney movie despite the fact that those things go unexplained. While it might not have necessarily hurt the story if some of it was explained, I never asked those questions while I was watching it because I didn’t need to. All I needed to do was listen and watch the tale unfold. It still puts a large grin on my face when Belle and the Beast dance with one another, it is still just as touching.

These are the main points I have found against worldbuilding being the most important part of a fantasy or science fiction work. While there might be more, I think these are the most notable, at least when pertaining to my working definition of worldbuilding for the sake of this article. As can be seen, while worldbuilding is not the most important aspect of writing, it still an extremely useful tool and can provide so much for a world.

It can provide so much when it is used right.

When and Where to Use it

If you have made it this far then you deserve a medal my friend, because it has been a long journey for the both of us. But now I would like to give examples and ideas on when and where to use worldbuilding. I cannot for sure say for each individual story when it should be used, as without seeing the story for myself, it is impossible for me to tell. Only you can figure out when and where your own story needs worldbuilding, I am just here to help you have an idea what to look out for and why.

One of the most obvious reasons is one that I pointed out earlier and that is to enrich the story, characters or theme. For this to happen, first you must simply identify what character, story or theme you are trying to convey to the audience and then you find what it is in the world that would relate to this concept or character. The things surrounding them is what is most in need of worldbuilding.

Earlier I had mentioned that extensive worldbuilding might not be necessary, what I meant by this was that sometimes you only need to worry about the important things that are being affected by the worldbuilding that you do. Once again I invite you to look at Avatar: The Last Airbender as an example, as they built the world well around the Fire Nation in the 100 year war as well as the bending powers and everything that directly influenced the story of the episode and/ or characters.

What I am saying here is when it pertains to the characters, themes, and story making sense and being enriched, the extent of your worldbuilding might only have to go as far as enhancing these things.In most fantasy and sci-fi stories, that is the extent of the worldbuilding that is done and its serves its purpose well.

This is the type of worldbuilding that I believe is usually best for someone writing a novel or something of the like. It helps the concentration stay on the items mentioned, while at the same time it does enrich the environment, just in a selective way that will not be too overwhelming.

The other way I can see it is for a game, videogame or roleplay. These are ones where I find the world being built up in every aspect overall can be of service. In mediums where one of the main attractions is being able to explore the world, it is important that the world is ready to be explored and offers treasures and interests for them to find.

I think Skyrim is actually a really good example of this. I find that one of the main appeals of Skyrim is how large it is and how many regions that the player can travel to has distinct geography, people, races and food. It feels fully immersive and like you truly are in a whole other world in that way. While not all videogames are like Skyrim and have more of a direct storyline as long as the player has the mobility to explore the world, I believe it is important to build that world up very well.

Obviously, D&D would not be D&D without its worldbuilding within it of all the races, classes, places, spells, and so on. It is exploring the dungeons and the small quests within the overarching story that make people play it alongside their friends, as well as the many beasts that can be brought in to fight. Although if your D&D campaigns are anything like mine, it will start out as LotR and then end up as Monty Python and The Holy Grail.

In the right roleplays, I believe this can work very well as well. Of course, some roleplays are supposed to be much more open and with a world that is created with the will of the players rather than everything being already established. However, I find that there are many people who would love to have a roleplay in a well built world that they can set their characters loose in.

Or perhaps I am the only one, but I still recommend it.

Finally I say, if you like worldbuilding, then do it until your heart's content. Not everyone enjoys it, I know. I personally love worldbuilding and find it fascinating. I will do it independently until I am blue in the face, even if the things I built will never make it into the story that I wrote. But I have fun with it. And that is the important part. So if you have fun with worldbuilding, then do not put any restrictions on yourself and worldbuild until I know the preferred color of cups that the dwarves of Beluran use.

Overall, it is up to you to know exactly what needs to be worldbuilt and to what extent. Even though I am the Beloved Empress of all things real and imagined and all of you should bow down before me, I can’t see every story that is being written, so I can’t tell you exactly what worldbuilding plan would help your individual story, game, or roleplay out. I am willing to look over anything that anyone sends me or talks to me about, but other than that, believe in yourself because I believe in you. You got this :)

I actually debated doing aspects of worldbuilding, but then I realized many people have already done it, so instead I am going to invite you guys to look at the worldbuilding bible, because I read through it and it pretty much has everything I as going to talk about, so no need to talk about it again when I can give you a copy and pastable little form! After that, you can go on to my Dos and Don’ts

Aspects of Worldbuilding

Give them some views and thanks :)

A (*) means that it is not part of the template, it is something I thought to add in myself. Feel free to do the same.

THE NATURAL WORLD
Stars, suns, moons, and planets

Oceans and/or major bodies of water

Mountains, woods, and/or other prominent features of the landscape

Common plants

Rare plants

Poisonous and/or medicinal plants

Common animals/creatures

Rare animals/creatures

LOCATIONS
Natural formations

Monuments

Government buildings/castles

Train stations/airports/subways/launch pads/highways

Shops/stores

Houses/apartments

Countries/states/cities/planets

TRAVEL
Restrictions on travel

Dangerous locations

Luxury/vacation locations

Immigration/emigration

Travel times between locations

Common methods of travel

Affordability of travel

ARCHITECTURE & INFRASTRUCTURE
Common building materials

Expensive building materials

Appearance and layout of typical houses

Appearance and layout of expensive houses

Appearance and layout of typical shops/stores

Streets and sidewalks (brick, cobblestone, dirt, etc.)

Availability of plumbing and sewage

Garbage collection

Distribution of energy

Burial practices

MEDICINE
Curable diseases

Incurable diseases

Common diseases

Rare diseases

Availability of medicine

Cost of medicine

Legal drugs/potions/substances

Illegal drugs/potions/substances

Plagues*

PROFESSIONS
Common professions

Less common professions

Rare professions

Gender/racial/species/education restrictions of professions

Unemployment rate

Concentration of certain professions*

Guilds/Unions*

ECONOMY
Distribution of wealth

Lifestyle of average income earners

Lifestyle of the poor

Lifestyle of the middle class*

Lifestyle of the rich

Money system or bartering system

HISTORY
Major world events

Major wars

Major natural disasters

Age of civilization

Previous leaders/rulers

Fiefdoms granted Liege homages the works.*

Recent cultural shifts/changes

CLOTHING
Cheap fabrics

expensive fabrics

Lower class clothing styles

Middle class clothing styles

Upper class clothing styles

Differences in clothing between genders

Differences in clothing between regions

Differences in clothing between cultural groups or species

FOOD
Staple foods

Luxury foods

Availability of food

Local/regional dishes

ENTERTAINMENT
Professional sports

Hobby/schoolyard sports

Board games and/or card games

Music styles

Common instruments

Common themes and subject matter of fiction

Government/legal/regional restrictions on films, plays, novels, music

Affordability of films, sports games, board games, instruments, books, etc.

LAW
Criminal justice system

Minor crimes

Major crimes

Laws impacting daily life

Common sentences for crimes (prison, labor, execution, etc.)

Police behavior, uniform, practices, powers

Prison conditions

Public opinion of law enforcement

POLITICS
Political parties

Ruler/King/Queen/President/Prime Minister

Prominent Members of Court/Government

Secret government agencies and/or organizations

Public opinion of the ruler/government

MAGIC
Common spells

Rare spells

Restrictions on spells

Common magical skills

Rare magical skills

Restrictions on magical skills

Common potions

Rare potions

Restrictions on potions

Prevalence of magic users

Society’s perception of magic

Requirements of using magic

What is taboo magic usage?* (just because I think restricted and taboo are not the same thing)

TECHNOLOGY
Availability of technology

Capabilities of technology

Weapon technology

Entertainment technology

Energy creation technology

Transportation technology

Is there emphasis on a certain technology?*

RELIGION
Major religions

Dynamics between religious groups

Places of worship

Religious holidays

Morals and beliefs

Origin of religion

Prevalence of religion

Separation (or lack of separation) between church and government

Religious texts*

Religious hierarchy*

FAMILY
Typical age of marriage

Typical number of children

Typical family dynamic/structure

Attitudes towards children

Attitudes towards the elderly

Attitudes towards romantic love

Care for elderly relatives (in-home, nursing homes, etc.)

Care for children (traditional parenting, nannies, boarding school, etc.)

Gender roles (or lack of gender roles)

Importance of birth order to family roles, inheritance, profession

What makes someone kin?* (Blood? Trust?)

EDUCATION
Typical education level

School subjects

School environment (strict, lenient, etc.)

Availability of schooling/education

Cost of education

Restrictions on education due to gender, abilities, species, etc.

At what age were children expected to be at what level*

LANGUAGE
Primary/major languages

Regional/minor languages

Prevalence of multilingual/bilingual people

Colloquial phrases, slang, and curses

Common misunderstandings in language*

In an entire world/large region with multiple languages, is there a common tongue and what is it?*

What classes speak what language? (i.e. does the higher class speak the same language as the lower in this region?)

RACES & SPECIES
Primary/major races and/or species

Minority races and/or species

Dynamics between species and/or races

Cultural disconnects between species and/or races

Commonalities between species and/or races

Physical looks of race/species*

Primary religions among race/species*

Where the race/species is indigenous to*

WEATHER
Typical weather

Atypical weather

Seasonal variations in weather (or lack of variation)

Clothes for each season

Heating & cooling homes

So most of that was not mine, while I agree with it as being the basis for much worldbuilding, know that I did not create that template and if it doesn’t work for you, well there are a ton of template out there buddy, you can manage. But this should give you a good idea about each aspect. I do not feel like I need to go into detail about these things so I will simply let that be and then answer questions about them or go into more detail about them if someone asks.

Mistakes that Might be Made

This is basically my DON’T portion, but I am a pretentious bastard so I won’t call it that

Don’t keep it all in your head

For the love of God, write it down somewhere because the most extensive stuff is not going to stick with you as well as you think it will. I would recommend keeping it in a separate place than your story, but perhaps in the same folder so it is easily accessible while you are writing.

Don’t over explain

Exposition, exposition coming out ASAP. Don’t do any type of information dump in your story. That scares readers. Of course, there are a few exceptions, such as the Lore page holding pages of your world for the roleplay that you are doing. Having it all laid out like that for that purpose is fine, but generally in a story telling format you will not want to start going into any deep history or exposition.

Don’t Tell

Show, don’t tell, is one of the most repeated phrases in writing. When implementing worldbuilding into your story, it still stands. Show that there are political problems, don’t talk about it. Show how a certain race is treated, don’t talk about it. This will help your worldbuilding be more effective in a story.

Don’t be afraid to take inspiration

Too many people are too worried about seeming cliche. It is impossible to not have at least one cliche in your story and that is fine. Take inspiration from cliches, other stories or even history. Take a look at George R. R. Martin. Look at the Lannisters and the Starks. Then look at the War of the Roses which was fought between the Lancasters and the Yorks. Not to mention that this:
wMME1eZVJAOtNgTu7Wp5fhGcWe7FG-p6k1--qw-zqnJKw03j3zC3ltK5aqME8D4Th1QJrxsxPZj3E5r-gUxcr4oWDPY8h-azAV1WNljWYpCCF8lxEbGGzqF-vJPW9TQoBMhkUEyp

Might seem a little on the familiar side to anyone into GoT… But Martin openly admits his inspiration, because it is perfectly okay to take it. In fact, I don’t think the houses would have been half as well made if he did not base them on true houses that existed in this war.

Don’t be a comic book author…

I love Batman. I love comicbooks. Not a big fan of retconning. It can hurt your story if you retcon too much, too frequently. People start getting confused, you start getting confused. I understand some things are not too important, but this is why I say to stay organized so you always know what was said in the past and what you put down, because I find that retconning is usually either because the author decides to last minute change, or they simply forgot and planning further ahead or organizing better can help with this. Do not despair if you find yourself a victim of this, as even the greats such as George R. R. Martin are guilty of this.

Don’t be Afraid

Worldbuilding is a great experience and you should not let anything that has been said here or anywhere else scare you away from it. If you are new to the concept then do not feel like you can’t ask anyone for help from anyone here. We would all be delighted to help you out. Just take it one step at a time and you will be fine.

Great Methods to Enhance the Experience

Do feel free to use a site

Feel free to find sites like Notebook.ai or use wordpress and things like that to help keep your world in order. Seek out new sites and find anything that would help keep you organized. You don’t have to feel trapped to keep everything organized on google docs or Word, use whatever you wish to keep everything in check.

Do get feedback

Talk to people, friends, families, strangers, hobo Joe, Santa Clause, the Zodiac Killer, they can all give you feedback. You can find out what might be far fetched or does not seem to make sense. Always search for the people that will give healthy criticism so your world will be the best it can be.

Do make sure everything agrees

Make sure that aspects of your worldbuilding does not directly contradict each other for no reason. A large lack of connection between aspects can make for the world not being quite as immersive as it could have been and may leave readers or players frustrated, so be sure to run over your world for anything that seems to not be quite right.

Do your research

Especially when you are basing something on science or history, be sure that you research the topic at least a bit before implementing it, especially if it is supposed to be a large part of your story. The movie Interstellar did just his by taking Einstein’s Theory of Relativity and using it in a very valid way that had not yet been used in movies. It worked well because the people writing the story studied Einstein’s Theory enough to properly implement it seamlessly. When it comes to History, it helps to really understand the even you are looking at, from the reason it happened to why the results are the results. Once again, George R. R. Martin did this well in GoT.

Do Have Fun
:)

Thanks for coming with me on this journey

I worked really hard to try and get this up on Christmas, so there might be mistakes and I might be editing this heavily later, so there is that, but this is what I wanted to say for the most part, regardless of what I add or take away when I come back.

Merry Christmas guys!

Now go do something fun, why did you waste time on my article when you could have been doing something fun on Christmas?

Last edited:
I'll be happy to read that. I may even look at this and pop in some of my own advice on how to create fun and believable sci-fi setting, since I just so happen to be interested in that particular genre. And maybe I will learn a thing or two about fantasy worldbuilding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back