Advice/Help Writing seems like such a daunting task lately...

0xy

I never really know what to say or do anymore when it come to writing some original works/series. It feels like I'm constantly discouraging myself into thinking that whatever I'm writing at that particular moment is too ambitious or over developed that I just give up entirely... I have no idea how to even plan out my works anymore, not in a way that is effective for me anyway. Its infuriating! I feel like I'm wasting my own time...

Does anyone have any ideas for a sort of "free flow" writing style..? I just want to enjoy writing stories again and watch as everything goes back into place. Also, I've tried planning out things in the traditional sense with planners, lists, venn diagrams, you name it. It never works.

No offense but it sounds like you're doing too much with the planners, lists, and diagrams. You got all of that going and like you said it never works. I used to do a lot of plotting. Too much in fact that when it came to actually writing, I really didn't want to do it. Same with my partners. We would plan scenes and plot so much yet never get far. Now, we take a little concept or a character and build around them to create a story. For example. A partner of mine made something rather simple of a man on a train. Nothing more. He wrote the man's thoughts, interactions with other passengers and quite possibly where said train was going. I was able to jump right in with my own character.

Maybe you should try making a character, putting them in a scene, and not put up so much expectations of what you want the story to be and just have fun filling in the plot. Everyone is different though and while I can tell you what worked for me, you have to figure out what works for you.

No offense but it sounds like you're doing too much with the planners, lists, and diagrams. You got all of that going and like you said it never works. I used to do a lot of plotting. Too much in fact that when it came to actually writing, I really didn't want to do it. Same with my partners. We would plan scenes and plot so much yet never get far. Now, we take a little concept or a character and build around them to create a story. For example. A partner of mine made something rather simple of a man on a train. Nothing more. He wrote the man's thoughts, interactions with other passengers and quite possibly where said train was going. I was able to jump right in with my own character.

Maybe you should try making a character, putting them in a scene, and not put up so much expectations of what you want the story to be and just have fun filling in the plot. Everyone is different though and while I can tell you what worked for me, you have to figure out what works for you.
None taken whatsoever! Thank you for your advice, I think I've been trying so hard to come up with something structurally sound for so long that I just kind of forgot that I can *actually* just have fun with it. I'll try this out, thank you!

None taken whatsoever! Thank you for your advice, I think I've been trying so hard to come up with something structurally sound for so long that I just kind of forgot that I can *actually* just have fun with it. I'll try this out, thank you!
No problem. I hope everything works out for you. You got this!

I never really know what to say or do anymore when it come to writing some original works/series. It feels like I'm constantly discouraging myself into thinking that whatever I'm writing at that particular moment is too ambitious or over developed that I just give up entirely... I have no idea how to even plan out my works anymore, not in a way that is effective for me anyway. Its infuriating! I feel like I'm wasting my own time...

Does anyone have any ideas for a sort of "free flow" writing style..? I just want to enjoy writing stories again and watch as everything goes back into place. Also, I've tried planning out things in the traditional sense with planners, lists, venn diagrams, you name it. It never works.
I'm not going to discourage your ambition because I a the same way. It's just in my blood to plan and plot and go deep because I come from a family that thinks that way. It's literally ingrained into my genetics. I can't fight it. I would say, don't stop it, keep planning, and keep being ambitious because even if it's been unsuccessful for the time being. It still drives you into being creative. There was a time when this was pretty acceptable and I remember it was before like quick chats. So you had time to plot slowly in an ooc or keep secrets for yourself. Now, it's different. Its totally social-based. You need to take those ambitious ideas and apply them to each character. How would it impact them on a small level that will make a big impact later? Although, you need to socially acknowledge this with people in a group and then points will solidify from there. Because role-play is still a deeply social interaction. You can't do planning one-sided.

Even with free-flowing you still have a plan. Free-flowing just means you have a general goal. A bugging, middle, end, in the moment goal. You don't make long-term goals but remain flexible at the moment. If you want to be free flowing. You want to be very reactive based with other characters. Don't set a firm idea of where you SHOULD be heading. That's the biggest thing with free flowing. You shouldn't have a solid end goal just an idea.

Keep up the ambition. You'll find a happy medium soon

For just writing on your own. The same things apply. You still need to have a general idea of where your going. When I'm free-flowing with my creativity I give myself a time frame. I write for thirty minutes without stopping. I don't care about grammar. I don't care about spelling. I don't even care where the story is going. But it will help you get your free-flowing writing out.

If a half an hour is too long. Write seven minutes a day. Build it up. Even Elon Musk insists on writing at least an hour a day when waking up. ( not that that means anything)
But its working your brain and in the morning seems to be the best time

good luck

Well, I don't plan much myself, so maybe you will not find your solution from me. But still, I'll say it. Read other's work. I usually do this when I'm not satisfied with my writing or feel like I should write in a different way.

The mechanics of writing are not the same as the mechanics of "fun." Write from the heart, it will see you satisfied in the long run. What does logic matter, when we can be lead by intuition; no need for planners, maps, or documents. Just write what you should write, all else is unnecessary baggage.

I'm actually terrible at coming up with plot so this is often what I do. Some of my most memorable writing has come out of this sort of spontaneous "let's throw characters together and see what happens" experiment.

I feel this on a personal level, but my lack of motivation to write is not just caused by my own over-planning and plotting. It's how it's happening too often now that I will discuss stories with potential partners (and I have made it a point to not over-plan any more), but the RP never really... takes off?

Either my partners are going through the same thing as I am, or perhaps they don't feel like we've discussed enough to RP. But in the end, after I express that I feel like we've discussed plenty, I just never hear back from them any more.

Even the most casual stories seem like too much of a drag these days, because a part of me just knows that I will get ghosted as soon as we are about to start a RP, or maybe 3 posts in. As well as feeling like I don't put in enough effort like my writing partner does, so I get discouraged a little.

But perhaps it's also because of how the RP community as a whole has changed over the years. It's not what it used to be any more and while of course I have my own set of rules and guidelines to find a fitting partner, other people seem to have rules and guidelines that just feel far too demanding? (i.e. having to be active every day, having to write over a minimum amount of words, or having to play a specific role.) This might be a bit nit-picky on my end, but one of the many reasons I can't even write is because so many people expect me to be active every day, when in reality, it's pretty much impossible as an adult.

I haven't had a good RP in years, and it's kinda saddening since I love the hobby so much. It used to be one of those things I'd be excited to get back into after class or work, but now I just... don't have anything to look forward to any more. It feels like I'm forced to please my RP partner and meet their creative needs, instead of finding a middle ground where I also feel like I can enjoy myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back