Story Writing Prompt

Akweia

Hi Everyone,

Decided to do a quick writing prompt so people can get a jist of my writing capabilities. I found the prompt on Pinterest and it was generated by the Fake Redhead.

Prompt: “What's up with all these well-behaved children? I’m trying to get them to sneak dessert and nones taking it?”

Story is below! Enjoy.

“What’s up with all these well-behaved children? I’m trying to get them to sneak dessert and none’s taking it?”

“Did you read the job application?”

“Yes.” She answered too quickly. The quirk in her supervisor’s brow let her know she wasn’t really believed. She swallowed nervously. She really needed this job. And to be honest when her aunt had called and told her about the odd posting she hadn’t questioned it. She was the least successful of her siblings and long story short she and her entire family had reached their breaking point with her bad luck and string of failures. She felt especially uncomfortable under the almost mechanical gaze of the supervisor. His lips were folded thinly all day. She could see the corner of her resume on his clipboard and her stomach fell with dread. Had he already sized her up?

He sighed interrupting the tidal wave of her anxiety. “Ms. Minerva-“
“Min is fine. Anything is really. As long as you don’t call me Minnie.” She said laughing nervously. She inward flinched. She had interrupted him for that. God why was she like this.

There was a moment of silence. “Min,” he said finally. “It seems appropriate that I give you a brief break down of the role’s requirements and purpose.”

“Ok.” She said feeling a bit of relief. She probably needed the refresher.

“Your role as caretaker of the C-AZ21 unit is limited to basic supervision. Essentially to request or provide for them any supplies they may have limited access to. They are very self-sufficient.”

Min shifted her weight from leg to leg. She nervously rubbed the worn leather arm of her red jacket. “But… they’re just kids.”

“I suppose in terms of age they are children. But they were designed to be about as functional as a human adult. Further, their integrated neural network makes the likelihood of any immature behavior or childlike emotion highly unlikely. But Iyntech likes to cover its bases. That’s why you’re here.”

Min’s eyes dragged back to the kids, the oldest of which looked no older than 10. They all wore starched white uniforms with numbers and ate from their neatly proportioned meal trays with exact precision. She got that they were test-tube babies, super smart, made with the best DNA. But they were human kids still. Even with fancy wiring in the back of their brains. “So, I just watch them and fill out order forms when they want more books? Or stuff like that?” she asked looking back up at her supervisor, Supervisor Pearson peered down at her. Raven Pearson according to his nametag. She was bad at names but his long black hair would help her remember. And the eyes she couldn’t quite dismiss as cold that were equally dark.

“For educational materials, you will have to fill out a request form first. But for basic classroom or cafeteria supplies, you can go ahead and fill out an order form. For any exceptions contact me first please.” He made a brief mark on his clipboard. She couldn’t see what. But the scoring sound of the sharp pencil made her feel nauseous.

“Supervisor Pearson?” she asked trying to quiet her nerves.

“Call me Raven for the sake of brevity. It’s how the CAs address me as well. And it’s good for them to have a sense of uniformity.” He said calmly scribbling away.

“Ok. Raven. Do they really not do any, you know normal kid stuff?”

Raven looked up from his board. “They exercise during their break periods. And they have one or two free creativity segments during the day. I think you’ll find most of their creations thought-provoking” he said simply

She swallowed. So no.

“I think I’ve seen everything I need to. We’d like to offer you the position. If you accept, and I’m sure you will, you will be required to lodge in one of the dormitories here at Iyntech. You will surrender your personal devices and be issued ones from corporate. The study period is six months. If you accept I have the paperwork here.”

Min stuffed her hands in her pocket. It was a great deal for her. He was right. She was going to accept. “Thanks. I’ll sign it now.”

He handed her a glossy black fountainpen and guided her through several forms. When she had inked her signature on the bottom line of each one, he sent her back through security to surrender her devices, and to check for any dangerous weapons. She was given a uniform, a dorm room number, and ID card. Then Raven returned her back to the room with the CA’s.

Then it was quiet.

Min sat down on a bench while the children finished lunch. She wished later she had paid more mind to how quickly they offered the position, how fast the hiring process was.

But hindsight was 20/20.

Wow, love your writing! If you're ever looking for someone to do a 1x1 I'd be totally in! ^-^

Wow, thank you! If you ever get bored message me some of your favorite ideas or genres and we'll chat! See ya in cyberspace!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back