• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Writing Prompt Responses

AEGISverse: Some Assembly Required

1/27/40​
Classes at 108 had been canceled yesterday and today to accommodate ongoing investigation of Wednesday's 'incident' and Aaron wasn't sure what to do with himself. He decided to go for a walk, and found himself wandering in the direction of North Point State park. He stopped at the Bay Shore Bar and Grill, just to check the place out. He wasn't hungry or anything, it just seemed like a good place to start getting to know the local culture. He was perusing a brochure for the Black Marsh Trail system from their foyer when it occurred to him that the waitstaff had been eyeballing him suspiciously for some time. Guiltily, he ordered a local IPA microbrew, downed it quickly, and then ducked out. The beer wasn't bad per se, but Aaron was no drinker. Lately, no eater either...

In the parking lot, he paused to examine the map on the brochure. The head of the trail system was just a little way south from here, maybe half a mile. He folded up the map and stuck it in his jacket pocket. He was just crossing Miller's Island Blvd when something glimmered in his peripheral vision, just at the edge of the tavern parking lot. When he looked directly though, he saw nothing. Odd. He shrugged, and returned to his original plan. As he walked south, he let his mind wander. The desolation of the surrounding terrain seemed well suited to the current situation at work. This was clearly farm country, which seemed odd, so close to residential areas. In the spring, no doubt, it was verdant, but it was now the depths of winter, and the fields were stark and barren, much like the mood at 108. There would be major PR consequences for Klaus's meltdown, not to mention the disastrous results of having told Victoria to use her power. Nonetheless, Aaron remained fiercely optimistic. Like these fields, 108 would lie fallow for a while, and inevitably, better days would return. Impossibly, nobody had been hurt, and that was the main thing. Collateral damage, he well knew, could and would be fixed. Death was the only thing that could never be taken back. Everything else would turn with the seasons. This too, shall pass. As he was coming up to the crossing with the North Point Spur, he saw a familiar figure approaching from the west. He stopped and waited for her to join him at the crossroad.

Morning, Ms. Higgins! Out for a walk? I'd say 'nice weather for it' but I suppose it would be a lie, however sociable. I was heading down to check out Black Marsh, for lack of anything better to do today. Care to join me?”

The assistant physical discipline teacher gave Aaron an appraising look, smiling faintly, as if something about him amused her. She gave a slightly exaggerated shrug, her shoulders moving in that faintly elastic way that few human beings could match apart from the most skilled circus contortionists. Not that any of them could hold a candle to what she could do; she could show up their very best tricks if she chose. Overextending, for Wolf, was hardly a stretch. So to speak. She fell in alongside him, stretching her legs almost imperceptibly to match his stride. After a while she spoke.

“So how was your class? I'm feeling a bit guilty now, in retrospect, for letting Danny walk out of ours. Can't help thinking how things might have been different if I'd challenged him more.”

Ah, well. I was just thinking on that myself. The main thing is he suffered no permanent harm. Which is kind of a miracle, if you consider the facts. Teamwork saved him, and I consider that a real win, that we could work together so well in an emergency. Hell, even Penny helped, when the chips were down. Have you met Penny? She's a sweet girl, I think, but deep down. Very deep down, both figuratively and literally. All in all, I am more worried about the impromptu 'work' done on the Francis Scott Key Bridge. That's on me, mainly. Ultimately though, I think that while there will be plenty of blame to go around, it will largely blow over. We should be back to classes tomorrow, weather permitting.”

Wolf shrugged again, her head tilting one way and then the other in a 'maybe so, maybe not' sort of way, and they lapsed back into silence, walking south. Eventually they came to a heavy wooden gate by the entrance to the park. Loitering by the gate post, smoking a cigarette and trying to look like she wasn't trying to make it look cool, stood Alexis Devan. She looked up to see two of her 'special' teachers looking at her and instinctively stubbed out the cigarette in her palm, a practiced gesture no doubt acquired by long habit in regular public schooling. After a beat, she appeared to reconsider whether she gave a shit what AEGIS teachers thought of her and the cigarette made a miraculous reappearance and lit itself. After a long drag, she blew the smoke off to the side and asked truculently, “So what... ...you guys the truant brigade or something?”

Aaron and Wolf looked at each other in amusement. They each started to speak, stopped to allow the other to continue, then started again. Wolf took a half step back to definitively yield the floor. Aaron frowned, unsure now what to say.

Did you... Were you not around for Wednesdays classes, Alexis?”
“I showed up. I didn't like the music spewing out of MD classroom when I went upstairs so I bailed. Yesterday I had to take care of gran. Today I just didn't feel like it. So what? You gonna sick Klaus on me now?”

Uh... No. Klaus will not be involved in 108 affairs for the foreseeable future.”

“We actually have a few days off, and we were thinking of checking out the trail system for something to do. Meeting you here was as much a coincidence as meting each other. Want to join us? We can fill you in on the latest school gossip. You missed some juicy stuff!”

A series of complicated emotions crossed Alexis' face in rapid succession, settling on puzzlement.

“You want to go for a walk. In the woods. With me?”

Sure, why not? We never did get to finish that discussion about heroes vs villains. And as Ms. Higgins indicated, we have some new data to bring to that discussion. What do you say?”

Unsure how to respond to this, Alexis shrugged indifferently, and smoked the last of the cigarette in one last powerful drag, flicked the butt into the bushes, and stepped back from the gate, bowing low and gesturing elaborately as if to say, after you, honored teachers.

••••••​

“Holy shit monkeys. Danny's ok though? Not that I care or anything, just... wow. To think of all the shit I've given Klaus before... I mean, he seemed tightly wound, but fuck!”

Aaron smiled ruefully. Colorful language aside, Alexis certainly had a way of summing things up efficiently. The trail was proving to be a delightful walk. As desolate as the farmland had been, the marsh in winter was truly fantastical. Skeletal vines wrapping dead rotting trees jutting out of iced over wetlands, all frosted with snow, it gave one a feeling of exploring an alien landscape, inhospitable and cold yet strangely elevating. He was glad he'd decided to check it out; later in the spring, he wasn't sure the ground out here would be solid enough to hold him up effectively. He was leaning down to push aside a fallen log obstructing the trail when Ms. Higgins snaked up between him and Alexis, drawing them both in close with one elongated arm. She pointed out over the marsh as if to draw their attention to some interesting feature but spoke in a fierce whisper.

“Don't look around, but I think someone is following us. That's the third time I have heard underbrush crunching, behind us but I don't see anything back there.”

“You're paranoid, rubber band!” Alexis whispered back, shaking off the arm like a pesky python. Nonetheless she looked rattled, and waves of nervous heat rolled off of her, causing the dry undergrowth nearby to smolder.

Aaron turned, in spite of Wolf's warning, remembering the slight glimmer he'd seen earlier in the parking lot of the tavern. He saw nothing, but that was probably because he had closed his eyes. Photons could be disrupted any number of ways. Gravitons, not so much. The trouble was they were so damned faint. For a person sized mass, it took all his concentration to suss them out. Among the barren tree trunks, he was unsure whether he could at all; there was just too much clutter... but there was something odd happening. Not on the trail behind them but in the frozen over marsh before them. The water was draining away under the ice, disappearing into a vast open space that seemed to yawn open, a great rift in the earth spreading out now to the edges of the marsh. Right up to the edge of the trail. His last thought before the ground gave way under his feet was that it was odd there was no accompanying earthquake. Then he vanished down a steep slick trench of mud, slipping away into the depths of the pit at a ferocious speed.

Wolf's left hand shot up and back to wrap around a nearby tree trunk as an anchor, saving herself from Aaron's fate. Her other hand stretched out for Alexis, but needlessly; she was hovering over the pit, having instinctively deployed her fire wings as the ground started to give way. She glared down into the pit as if it's very existence offended her. Or perhaps she was irritated with her teacher's apparent inability to take care of himself, for in the torrent of abuse she poured down the hole after him, it was possible to discern the words 'fucksake' 'useless dumb douche-canoe' and 'what I think makes a hero is NOT HELPLESSLY TUMBLING INTO A GIANT GODDAMNED HOLE!' With this last bit of inventive invective, she fell silent and looked to the other teacher, hoping to see some ideas or the glimmerings of a plan. Wolf was just staring down into the darkness in horror, which rattled Alexis far more than she would care to admit. Her natural bluster saved her, however, and she flew up close, snapping her fingers before the teacher's face.

“Hey! Dodge-ball! We gotta get him outta there somehow! You're the teacher, even if it's just gym. You got a plan or what?”

Startled back to herself, Wolf nodded shakily.

“Right. Melt away the ice and let's see how big this hole really is. First thing is to get a sense of the scope of the problem. Maybe we can help him out, maybe we'll need to go get help.”

Glad of something to do, Alexis immediately turned her fiery attentions on the ice, rapidly melting it away to nothing. That done, she flew back over and alighted beside Wolf on what was left of the trail along the edge of where the marsh had been. In its place was a hole in the earth nearly 200 feet wide, descending steeply in a more or less northeasterly direction, with a deep groove cut into the near side, marking Aaron's passage toward parts unknown. The massive tunnel bent slightly to the east as is dropped, disappearing out of sight about 3000 feet away, perhaps 1000 below the surface. Even with the massive opening cleared, the thin winter sunlight did little to illuminate the tunnel that far down. As they stared in disbelief, a disembodied feminine voice from nearby said quite clearly, “Well, shit.”

Alexis's hands erupted into flame as she swung around searching for the source. Wolf's arms and legs burst out of the ends of her sleeves and pant-legs, extending her height and reach to an impressive 20 feet or more and assuming a sort of martial ready stance, reminiscent of certain Chinese style animal forms. Neither of them could get bead on the source of the voice however, and after a moment, she spoke again from somewhere out over the vanished ice.

“Alright, look you two. While I understand this is nothing to do with you, but I am going to need your help here. I am tasked with keeping an eye on that lunk down there, and I am asking you please, at the least, not to do anything rash when I reveal myself ok?”

“No promises!” Alexis shouted, maintaining her flaming fists and taking to the air again. Wolf nodded in vigorous agreement, the hairs on the back of her neck bristling and her arms weaving around to threaten the general direction of the voice.

“Fair enough. I am sorry for startling you. Please understand I am only breaking cover because I need to make sure Aaron is ok. I represent an organization that keeps an eye on guys like him for signs of trouble. I'm sure you can understand that we don't always get reliable data if we observe openly. Ultimately though my job is to make sure he doesn't get in over his head... Which he obviously has done. I am going to make myself visible now, ok?”

Out near the middle of the space where the marsh had been, seemingly standing on nothing, a young woman in jeans and a sweatshirt with short cropped brown hair appeared. Almost instantly, Wolf's right fist snaked out across the space, joined by a quick succession of fireballs from Alexis. Both stopped short of their target, bouncing off of empty air. The newcomer sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose, as they drew back to prepare another attack.

“Honestly! What is Hunter Ward teaching over there these days? When I was at 108 we showed a little more restraint than this. Swan would be horrified.”

“Yeah? Well, bite me! You go skulking around in the shadows and then pop up right after my favorite teacher has dropped out of sight down a bottomless pit, you don't get the benefit of the doubt, and name dropping proves precisely fuck all!”

Wolf hesitated, squinting at the mysterious newcomer. She extended her arm over to Alexis, holding up a hand to quiet her. To the other woman, she said, “Batel? Is that you?”

Now it was the interloper's turn on the back foot. She looked lost for a moment and then sudden realization dawns and she lights up. “Wolf Higgins?! Oh, I should have known it was you from the stretching! I just assumed you'd have moved on by now I guess, so I didn't make the connection! Are you still at 108?”

“Yeah, I just segued from student to teacher. Always seemed like home to me. What happened to you though? You totally disappeared after you graduated. Literally, I guess. That's a pretty neat trick.”

Alexis rolled her eyes as loudly as she possibly could, but it was not nearly enough to break up old home days, so she pulled a trick out of Mr. Mallory's book and tried using words instead of setting either of the older women on fire.

“Ahem! Hello?! Sorry! Hate to interrupt, but there's a guy at the bottom of that mudslide who might be hurt. So what exactly are you two sorority girly girls going to do about it?”

“Good question. How fast can you fly with those wings?

“Faster than you can run, little miss disappear, believe me.”

“Well we're not running, we're sledding. Down the hole and after him. I can make a makeshift mud-sled with my forcefields, Wolf will be the drag chute, to stop us going out of control, and you get to fly ahead and generate hot air to help us slow down. Think you can handle generating a massive amount of hot air, hot shot?”

Alexis opens her mouth to retort, but then closes it again, mildly impressed. That was a pretty sick burn actually. Seethroughgirlgotskillz. She reignited her wings, and swooped down into the pit.

Wolf looks doubtful, but unwilling to let a student go into the unknown alone, she clamps onto Batel's shoulders and twines her ankles around her friend's calves. Secured, she says simply, “Go.”

Batel closed her eyes and brought her hands up near her face in something approximating an attitude of prayer, except with fingers bent and oddly splayed. She dropped her wrists, and then her hands popped apart and spread out palms down, as if defining a volume of space below her. Then she simply pointed down. And down they went.

Wolf whooped in excitement in spite of herself. It was like base jumping into hell, complete with the odor of smoke and sparks from Alexis's wings rocketing ahead of them. She relaxed into the ever increasing wind and allowed her arms and legs to pay out her body behind the invisible mud-sled, expanding her torso outward to catch more and more of the warm air rising from below. The curve came up with dizzying speed, and Batel leaned into the turn. Wolf let her right flank go slack, flapping in the wind and letting out enough air to help steer their mad descent. As they came around the curve, daylight faded rapidly until there was nothing but the light from Alexis's fire wings. Wolf's eyes were not adjusting fast enough, and she began to worry they might come upon an obstacle before they were aware of it. She was about to shout something to Batel when the other woman flicked her fingers and a bright flare shot out and stuck to... nothingness. The sled ought to be covered with mud, by rights. Wolf certainly was. But somehow the sled remained stubbornly unseeable. Only the flattened underside of the flare gave any sense that there was anything solid under Batel's feet. As she was contemplating this, they at last began to slow down, the tunnel's slope gradually leveling out in a sort of mud-field that extended off into the distance, beyond the reach of their meager light. Of Aaron, there was no sign, other than a deep furrow cutting through the muck, straight as an arrow, off into the deeper recesses of the cavern...

••••••​

Alexis looked cross. Not that she often looked cheerful, but just now she was looking especially cross. The most obvious reason for that would be that 'stretch' was clinging to her ankles while the 'unseen-queen' clung to hers. But there was more. She was thinking. As she flew on, towing the useless deadweights behind her, she rolled the invisible bitch's nickname around in her mind. Unseen queen? She could do better. It wasn't quite right. Not... quite insulting enough. But what went with invisibility and forcefields? Nothingness. How did you hit that? There was nothing there. Little miss nothing there? Like the air? Oooh AIRY FAIRY! Perfect. Now she just needed to wait for a chance to drop that all casual, like it just came to her. She grinned, satisfied, and flew faster, following the light up ahead.

They almost ran over him before they saw him, not that he'd probably have noticed.

Batel extended her invisible 'floor' forward along side the supine super to save them from walking through the mud. She knelt beside him as Wolf pulled herself back together, and Alexis touched down next to them, prodding the unseen surface with her toe suspiciously. Batel waved a hand over his face and chest, and the seemingly permanent blur that surrounded him clarified itself, revealing the man beneath in the strong light of her flare. Her beard theory was proved true; Anthony was going to owe her a beer, this time. His eyes were shut, but after an anxious moment he stirred, taking a long shuddering breath. He stretched and sat up.

I would like to register SEVERAL complaints with the front desk. Starting with: that waterslide was much less fun than advertised, I didn't order a wake up call, and... um, I can't see clearly?”

Batel flicked her fingers and Aaron's usual blur returned full force. “Ah, that's better. ...where are we?”

“You'd be better able to tell than us, according to your file. At a guess though, I'd say about mile and a half out to sea, perhaps 2000 feet below the bottom of the Atlantic?”

Aaron nodded, slowly. That would explain the strange feeling of ponderously shifting weight, near overhead, so unlike the sky; he'd never felt the tides flowing from underneath before, but that had to be it. He looked a little more closely at the young lady who had spoken, and suddenly placed her. “Batel, right? We met in an alley a month or so back; somebody was trying to mug you. I didn't get your last name.”

“Nor will you, I'm afraid. I am not supposed to make contact with any of my subjects if it's avoidable. Dropping down a mile long mudslide makes for a hell of a special circumstance though.”

Aaron shrugged. “Fair enough. Speaking of mile long mudslides, though, somebody ought to put up some caution cones though, don't you think? Who do you suppose dug all this out anyway?"

“I'm certainly no expert, but I'm guessing that those guys might be good bet to start for asking questions,” said Wolf, her voice betraying barely a hint of trepidation. Batel glanced up sharply, scanning the area around them, raising her flare up to try and see better. Aaron couldn't see much, sitting in the bottom of the trench he'd cut, but he could feel the terrain shifting for hundreds of yards in every direction as more and more of... whatever they were, wriggled out of the muck and shook themselves off.

“What the actual F---”

Spring has Sprung: Equinox has Risen

Alexis, Batel and Wolf drew closer, forming a tight knot facing outwards as everywhere they looked, the mud seemed to be bubbling up, forming itself into hunchbacked lumps of nightmare fuel, all red eyes and teeth on four clawed feet. In the flickering light of Alexis's wings and fists, supplemented with the harsher glare of Batel's flares now ringing them, the creatures seemed to multiply and shuffle alarmingly, as if trying to judge their prey and find a safe angle from which to spring upon them. From deeper in the cavern, came a harsh barking laugh, and the echoing sound of wet hands slapping together in ironic applause. Just at the edge of their pool of light, a tall man with a helmet crowned with antlers strides purposefully forward, the muck spreading before him to make way, as if for the prophet of some slimy god of tidal flats.

“Incredible! I expected resistance to my rightful conquest, of course. But so soon! So eager! I am well pleased. Welcome to my humble domain, heroes of winter! Allow me to introduce myself. I am Vernar Von Vannemaker, and I am here to tell you, your time is at an end. Spring has come! Balance shall be restored. No more shall there be frigid cold, no more shall there be scorching heat! No more shall the ground be parched, nor flooded. From here on to eternity, earth shall be locked in my moderating embrace, warm, damp, and covered in thick, rich, and glorious mud! What say you 'heroes'? Will you join me as my champions? Or will you die here and now?”

Aaron struggled up to his feet and took his place with the three women in the tight circle ringed by legions of quadrupedal creatures which looked for all the world like car sized rabbits formed of mud.

Well, that's a new one. At least he has his monologging down.” he muttered under his breath.

“Ah! A fourth champion arises! Fantastic! How very respectful of cannon should you should chose to live and become my horsemen! What say you, champions? Will you spread the doctrine of Equinox? Or shall we battle until your corpses litter my lair?”

Wolf looked puzzled, then indignant. “You're asking us to throw in with you, against humanity? To cover the world in mud? Destroy agriculture, and with it civilization? Are you serious?”

“Quite so. Civilization had it's chance, and frankly, agricultural run-off pollutes river deltas and other sources of beautiful pure mud. Anyway, you can grow things in mud! Um... ...algae. Plankton! Filter feeders! We'll be fine! I mean, obviously humanity will have to find a new population equi- Ow!”

The villain's helmet flew off and landed in the mud behind him as Wolf's fist whiplashed out and connected squarely with his nose. For a moment he looked shocked, then his head tilted backward and his left hand went up to pinch his nose as he turned away. “Right! I see. Very well! Kill them!” His right hand flicked imperiously as the muddy ground buoyed his helmet back up onto his head. Without a backward glance, he returned the way he had come. As he stalked away, the mud creatures ringing them attacked en masse. Chaos ensued immediately.

Aaron grabbed two of them by the throats as they surged forward and smashed them together, hard. They splattered messily, but seemed to melt back into the muck and began to reform almost immediately. Three more attacked Batel, but planted their faces flat against an invisible barrier and slid down it ineffectually. One almost got ahold of Alexis but was flash baked before it could bite, frozen in a giant caricature of a disturbed eighth grader's art project. Wolf, by contrast vanished down one of the beasts gullets in the blink of an eye. As the creature loped forwards, and the horror of what they just saw began to register, it's eyes suddenly popped from its head. Not, as is usually meant in the use of that phrase, metaphorically. The eyes were followed by two muddy fists and elongated forearms. As it collapsed, Wolf somersaulted out of what remained of its head and shook mud off of herself like a weird hybrid between a poodle and a python. There is a beat. The other three stare at her. “What?” she asks diffidently. “They may have teeth, but with a mouth that size, it's easy enough to get swallowed whole if you're quick about it. And hell, they're only mud...”

Then the next wave hit, and they were all business again. Batel flattened a dozen or more with her barrier which flipped down from horizontal to vertical at her gesture, apparently with considerable force. Two more leapt over their fallen comrades, one met by Aaron's less than tender embrace, and the other's legs were kicked out from under it by Batel sliding underneath. For a moment, she disappeared, then a flare blasted up through its back and she climbed out of the hole, barking out orders to Wolf and Alexis as the mud rained down.

“Higgins! Go fetch the guy in the helmet back here. Fire fairy! Get some altitude and cover her. We'll keep the mud monsters busy here!”

Wolf was moving almost before she had finished speaking, catapulting herself over the skirmish line of minions and snaking quickly around two more of the runny rabbit beasts behind them. Alexis hesitated a moment longer, sullenly muttering something about how fire doesn't even rhyme with fairy, but ultimately the sheer joy of battle won her over. Her wings flared hotter than ever before, and she shot after her gym teacher, torching any mud that moved, and a fair area of mud that did not, just in case. Aaron trundled after them as quickly as he could, crunching through the crusty cracked earth trail she left behind, smashing or squishing each ersatz rabbit that came his way, depending how thoroughly baked it had been.. Batel followed behind him, easily keeping up in spite of walking backward; a transparent walkway hovered just above the blasted terrain, preventing her from stumbling. The pursuing minions were baffled by the shifting invisible maze she left in their wake.

Meanwhile, up ahead, Wolf was leapfrogging over the mud monsters just as fast as Alexis could turn them from 'milk' chocolate rabbits to the 'dark' variety. Vannemaker turned to see what the commotion was, just as her hands stretched out and snatched the helmet off his head.

“Hey!” he shouted! “Give that back!”

“You want it, groundhog day? Come get it!” Extending her tongue several feet from her mouth, she blew him a very rude sounding raspberry and headed back the way she had come in extended strides that ate up some fifty feet per pace. Alexis banked around and followed her.

“So be it! You say you are concerned with what will 'grow' in mud, rubber girl? I will show you what I can grow from it! Witness now the FULL power of EQUINOX!”

The cavern rumbled ominously and all the minions froze in their tracks, making strange little gurgling noises, which sounded suspiciously like panic. The roof of the cavern trembled and huge torrents of wet mud come cascading down, soaking the scorched earth trail Alexis had left, and very nearly soaking her as well, but for the unseen shield that deflected it. The minions all melt away and flow toward their master, a living river of mud. A tide. A veritable tidal wave of mud sweeps over him, piling up almost out of sight, stretching up toward the now much higher ceiling of the cavern. The mud pile shapes itself, forming a torso and arms. And at the very summit, nearly lost in the darkness at the limit of Batel's flares a massive head forms. A head crowned with rudimentary antlers.

Well all right then,” Aaron said. “I guess that would make it time for some good old fashioned fisticuffs!”

Alexis gaped at him. “You... you're putting me on, right? This has got to be a PUT-ON! Am I on candid camera?!

Batel just shrugged at her as Aaron stalked grimly toward the hundred foot tall mud construct, which seemed to hesitate, as if unsure what to do with a frontal assault. “This is the life kiddo, enjoy it while it lasts. Some days are boring. This is better.”

Wolf gave her an exaggerated wink. “You've got to admit, it's more fun than gym class, innit!”

Smiling in spite of herself, Alexis burst into full flame. Her voice sounded unearthly, like the roaring of a blast furnace, formed into speech. “You all are nuts. I'm supposed to be the hothead who gets into trouble. HOW AM I THE VOICE OF REASON HERE?!” She sighed like a teakettle at full boil as she rose up into the air. “I better get extra credit for this!”

Aaron stopped at the 'feet' of the enemy and slapped his fist into his other hand with a sound like the ending of geologic epoch. One imagined the dinosaurs might have heard a sound like it on their last day on earth. “Bring the ruckus, Mr. Mudd!” he shouted.

The mud thing's shoulders oozed up and down in an approximation of a shrug and it flowed forward, burying him completely.

“NOOO!”

Alexis's fire splayed out over the entire surface of the giant mud man, engulfing it from head to... floor. It reached out for her, attempting to smother her in its embrace, as it had smothered Aaron beneath it's vast bulk. As she dodged to the right however, it's left arm was neatly clipped off by a mighty swing by Batel, apparently wielding a comically oversized sword. That or she was miming it extraordinarily effectively. The monster looked down at the stump puzzled, perhaps not least, by how its assailant had gotten fifty feet into the air to strike. Batel sailed back gracefully toward the ground to be caught neatly by Wolf, who had by now switched from slingshot to trampoline mode. While it contemplated what to do about the missing limb, Alexis orbited it twice more, bathing it in flames.

“Focus on the base! Aaron can't contend with soft mud! Harden it!”

Alexis nodded and redoubled her efforts, circling tight and low, baking the bottom 20 feet like a mud pie in an easy-bake oven dialed to a million. As if finally realizing their plan, the creature began raining down mud indiscriminately, trying to extinguish Alexis like an annoying firefly. Between Wolf's umbrella like body and Batel's shields, she managed three more passes before a ricochet splattering off the ground caught her full in the midsection forcing her back into human form. She crashes into the wall of the cavern, rolling down and into the muck, too wet now to reignite herself.

The mud man enjoyed a brief moment of triumph, reforming its missing limb so it could raise its hands in victory. When it tried to move in for the kill however, it found that the damage was done, it's lower portion is baked solid, adhering tightly to the cavern floor.

For a moment, nothing happened. But then the floor began to rumble and the base of the mud column began to crack. The upper body flailed helplessly as it lost its connection to the floor and tumbled back toward the entrance of the cavern, landing with a resounding splat. From the ruins of the monster's lower half, Aaron clambered out, filthy, but alive. He called out “Thank you very much ladies! I was beginning to get a little worried there, I'll admit, what with the whole lack of air thing. You rescued me just in the nick of time, just like a good hero should!”

“Oho!” boomed a voice from the darkness. “Do you think you have defeated equinox so easily? I will squash you all into the muck beneath my boot heels!” From the darkness between them and freedom, a new figure loomed. Much shorter than before, this one strode forward on two distinct legs, and at the top, in a sort of cockpit stood their adversary, gesticulating wildly as he advanced. “I will crush you one by one! Each of you shall fall ignominiously before me... Say weren't there four of you? Where are the other three?”

Far too late, he realized he had been tricked. From the sides of the cavern, Alexis and Batel pull wolf tight across at ankle height to his mud mech, which stumbled forward and toppled once more, spilling the contents of the cockpit directly into Aaron's waiting fist.

••••••​

After a long and tedious climb, safely returned to dry land, and above the waves once more, Aaron turns to the others, Equinox unceremoniously slung over his shoulder like a sack of very dirty potatoes. “We four make a pretty good team don't you think? Maybe we could do some more weekend warrior stuff sometime? You never know when... No? Well alright then. I'll walk this guy over to commonwealth I guess. Enjoy the rest of your weekend ladies!”

Batel waits until he is well out of earshot, then pulls the others into a huddle.

“There are good and sufficient reasons I can't work with Aaron, nice though he seems. You two though. I might have use for you, if you want to do some good in the world. Or at least prevent great evil. On like, a daily basis. What do you think?”

Nix

Breaking the Prime Directive​
Nix, first and foremost, cared for his family. He however had a bit of an atypical definition of the word. Rather than seeing family as just those linked to him through biology, he instead believed that those linked to him through bond were in fact his family. This could lead to confusion at times, as he felt much more at home with his friends than some of his relatives. Family reunions could get awkward, especially if his ability became the topic of conversation. Not everyone wanted to have somebody like him in the family after all. Thankfully though, these events happened once in a blue moon.

Though not everything was so grim and dark. Nix had been able to do some very good things in the world thanks to his power. It wasn’t the most flashy or the most destructive. He couldn’t transform or shoot lasers. And he wished he could just have something that would let him help out more people. Absolute Understanding however, did have its’ benefits.

Founding a cult was apparently one of them.

The people who Nix had saved a couple months back had arrived and began to worship him. Apparently this was due to some ancient prophecy. Something about the end of the age of the Dred God and the coming of the age of the Lord of Harmony. Nix of course understood everything that they were saying, as that literally was his ability. But having all of these natives following him around could get a bit awkward at times. He did not for the heart of him have the ability to say no to them however, as Nix understood it would invalidate their entire purpose in life.

Instead what Nix decided was to roll with it. They would follow him around and serve him each day, though Nix would often let them know this was unnecessary. They however, would always insist. Nix then, would be unable to tell them to stop. What they did do though was a lot of work in the community. This was perfectly in character for the Lord of Harmony to have them do, and so none of them complained. All in all, this started as pretty awkward for Nix, but even just a few weeks later he just saw them all as part of his family.

And thus Nix was happy.

Melody stared up at the museum she was visiting with her class, a quiet smile on her face. She had been looking forward to this trip ever since it was announced. To think they really got to come to a museum all about people with superpowers and things they had done with them. "Museum for the History of Supers and Super Artifacts" was emblazoned in scarlet letters across the front of the rather large building. Melody rocked back and forth on her heels, too excited to wholly maintain her compure entirely.

She listened to her teacher go on about sticking with the group and not going off alone for several minutes, wondering what he thought they'd do in a museum that would be so bad. It wasn't like any of them would vandalize.... okay so several of the students would if any of the muttering of "disgusting monsters" and "freaks" were indication. It was just too bad that meant no one could go around and explore themselves.

Eventually the teacher decided he had glared long enough at certain students and gone about his warnings sufficiently. Which meant they could finally go inside, nearly twenty minutes after they were supposed to have originally. Melody climbed the step to the front entrance, skipping a step here and there out of excitement, reaching it directly behind the teacher. He eyed her measuringly but dismissed her quickly enough when it was apparent she wasn't a troublemaker per se.

Their trip began at a relatively slow pace with another lecture from museum staff about "not touching this" and "don't get too close to that" which she though was pretty obvious. This things were super related after all, they could very well explode or suck you into a different dimension or change your gender or something. Sure enough several such objects were first on their list to see. There were several jokes about swapping gender to look at onesself naked amongst the guys, and slighly amongst the girls.

While everyone was focused on one student who was trying to make good on that, Melody had found her focused pulled to an artifact across the room that only seemed to have one elderly women in front of it's display. Something about it drew Melody in, despite the teachers warnings. She crossed the room quietly, her manner far more subdued then on her way into the museum. She stopped to stand next to the woman and read the plaque.

"The Mirror of Erised" was written in bold silver script on the display. It said it was a mirror created by the mix of a couple supers powers. Apparently it was originally meant to create a nearly tangible illusion of the viewers deepest desires, but it was less tangible then intended. Now a simple image or set of images would appear in the mirror based on who was looking into it. Melody swallowed audibly as she slowly raised her eyes to the mirror.

At first the image of herself stared back at her. A young dark skinned girl in jeans and a windbreaker jacket, her wavy hair down to her mid back. The only bright color being her vibrant purple shoes. As she continued to stare at the image however the mirror seemed to begin rippling, almost like when one drops a rock into a pond. The ripples became more and more pronounced until Melody nearly looked away. But she forced herself to stare into it for a second more.

The image settled and she was staring at a scene in a dining room. At first she wasn't sure what or who she was looking at. Though when she spent more time studying the image she realized the girl sitting at the table was her but... different. First off she wore shorts and a short sleeved shirt which Melody would never consider wearing as things were now. The mirror version was also flanked by a man who seemed to constantly shift form, from skin tone, to facial hair, to whether or not he had glasses. They had a variety of books on the table in front of them and seemed to be looking from one to another.

Each book seemed to be about plants or animals in some manner. Both mirror images were talking, laughing, smiling. They both looked up to something outside the image and said something in response before clearinging off the table. In came a third form, a woman shifting shape from form to form, carrying plates of food she set in front of her mirror self and the man before sitting down with one herself. The image slowly began to fade along with what Melody almost swore was an audible laugh.

She didn't realize for several seconds that she had her hand extended towards the mirror and that there were tears in her eyes. She quickly drew her hand back to her person and went about wiping away her tears, sniffling lightly as she did. As she turned to go back to her group the elderly woman caught her eye with a gentle smile. She said nothing, in fact she hardly moved aside from the gentlest nod and a look in her eyes that spoke of understanding. Melody tried to return the smile to the best of her ability before returning to her class. They had only just dealt with the overzealous student trying for a improptu sex change. Luckily this meant they hadn't noticed her wander off and she was able to blend back in once again.

They moved along with their tour, but for the remainder of the day all Melody could think about was the image she had seen in the mirror. All she could think of was if such a thing could ever actually happen at this point. To think that she'd given up thinking about it lately. She was right when she thought this trip was going to be important, but she never would have expected the way in which it was.

Ren Lee, what have you done?!
The day started out as a perfectly ordinary Saturday at facility 108. In retrospect, that alone should have been a huge red flag. Aaron Mallory and Allen McNabb had joined classes to teach Emotional composure in the context of collateral damage. As Mr. Mallory often said: “You'll have trouble not breaking stuff if you are too worried about stuff breaking.” And of course, as Mr. McNabb often said: “Y-y-you know... if. If y- ...your h- h- hhhhhh- cough Heart! Is... is... iss... nnnot...”

You know what, skip that quote. The story stands without it.

Aaron had set up a series of 'stomp' catapults in the barrens behind the school, and carefully calibrated them to land Buick sized stones in predetermined areas. Each kill zone was clearly marked in red chalk, danger zones in yellow, and safe paths in white. The idea was that Aaron would launch the stones in a particular order, unknown to the students but known to Allen, who would calmly guide the students along the safe paths through the incipient boulder field, rescuing mannequin civilians with precise timing.

This went about as well as you would expect.

As the first stone was in flight, Allen tripped, stumbling through the yellow zone and sprawling headlong into the red. Hadrian darted forward and pulled the old man out of the kill zone a split second before the stone landed with a huge puff of red chalk. Then the stone began to tilt toward the pair with an ominous grinding sound. Hadrian tucked up over Allen, aiming to take the impact across his spine, but protecting his skull and his teacher's as well. With a terrifying thud, the stone landed behind them, having passed safely through one of Mary's portals. Luci and Kendrick, and Aaron looked on in slack jawed horror. Manami jumped up and down blurting something in Japanese along with a double fist pump. Ren Lee bent down to see what Allen had tripped over. With the full benefit of hindsight, everyone else was focused on the wrong rock entirely. The protruding piece of flint was the true threat.

It showed clear signs of knapping, and if anyone with a modicum of archaeological knowledge had seen a retro-cog about to touch such a stone they would have at the least advised extreme caution. But nobody could have predicted what happened next. To be honest, the time-core is still trying to work out what exactly did happen next. Temporal logicians have been arguing about it for millennia now. With the loop closed, there is precious little physical evidence to examine, so the argument rages on...

But I digress.

۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞​

A scream rent the air, a wild wailing of a mind near its breaking point. The sky tilted crazily.

“Ms. Lee! There is- is hardly cause for such... distress! Mr. Alburn and I are perfectly all right as you can plainly see. I say.... night has fallen! That is... odd. And where is this fog coming from?”

There is a crash of brickwork tumbling down in the distance as the small knot of supers begin to gather closer together in the soft illumination of Lucius Tolbert's perpetual light. Hadrian helps Allen to his feet as Aaron trundles over to kneel by Ren who has gripped her hair with both hands and is pulling desperately as if intent on expanding her skull to make space for the visions passing before her eyes

Are you hurt Ren? What is happening? What do you see”

“It's... so much! I can't- I-”

She collapses on the ground her head lolling and her eyes rolling back in her head. Aaron gently turns her on her side, in case she should vomit.

Luci, a little more light please? Can anyone see what it is she touched?”

Luci draws closer and kneels down, concentrating on projecting more. He unbuttons his shirt to expose more skin surface. The students all search the ground around where Mr. McNabb tripped. Hadrian pulls a flat oblong gray stone out of the earth and holds it up in the light.

“I think it was this. But what is it? The edges look like they've been cracked all along here...”

Out of the darkness behind them came a familiar feminine voice.

“It's an axe head. Flint.”

Anneliese Van Can stepped into the pool of light and took the stone from Hadrian.

“See the pattern of flaking? It's called 'knapping,' an ancient technique for making stone tools and weapons. Which would explain Ms. Lee's reaction, except that these marks are recent. Far too recent to cause Ren to have a fit. Something bad has happened. It was near noon a moment ago. Now it is full dark. Something is wrong about this. Oh, and whatever happened, it brought about half the main building with us, my office along with it.”

Aaron looks up at his colleague, puzzled, and then realization begins to dawn. The students each start to speak, but he hushes them. He closes his eyes, concentrating for a moment, and then begins to scratch diagrams into the dirt. He looks up again, grimly.

I think I know what happened, though I couldn't say how. The ocean has receded. The planets are not where they are supposed to be today. Or what was today. They aren't supposed to be there... for a long time yet, or a long time gone. I think we have been displaced in time somehow.”

In a tiny voice, Kendrick asks the obvious question: “Mr. Mallory... Where... When are we?”

As for where, I don't think we have moved. I think this is still Sparrow's Point. When? At a best guess I'd say sometime toward the end of the last glacial maximum. About 20,000 years into our own past.”

“...holy shit.”

۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞​

After a few hours, the shock gives way to numbness. The rigors of survival take absolute precedence over all other concerns. Food is not an issue for long. The forest where Baltimore may one day stand has abundant game, and while the ocean has retreated, bound up in glaciers, it is still less than a day's walk from the clearing they brought with them from the future. Manami and Mary invent a new kind of fishing involving chasing them through portals directly into the camp. Shelter is also quickly dealt with. There are plenty of trees, and Aaron has no difficulty dragging them back to camp and shaping them into a rude hut. Kendrick and Hadrian, with the help of a few of Kendrick's toys are able to thatch an adequate roof by the second night.

The trouble is the grinding cold. Manami and Aaron don't feel it, and Luci is actually quite comfortable, perhaps for the first time in his life. But for the others, the winds coming off the nearly mile high wall of ice just to the north in what would one day be Pennsylvania are bitter to the point of mortal danger. The first night they huddled close to Luci for warmth. Ren has it the worst and is in and out of consciousness. The brute fact is: they need fire, or the majority of them will die. None of them have any particular facility with fire. Aaron has a vague idea about how to make a bow drill, but can't get it to move fast enough without breaking it. On the third day, they have a breakthrough when Anneliese sees Hadrian shaving kindling for the bow drill with his viking axe. It is steel, and when struck against the flint axe head, provides sparks that soon have them warm again around a roaring fire.

Survival needs met, Aaron's thoughts turn to means of escape from this time. In the absence of any other apparent path, he considers the soft place in the sky, which seems to have followed him here. He reaches out into the depths of it, but still cannot feel the bottom. Leaving the children in the care of the counselor and the old man, he says his farewells and vanishes into the far reaches of the night sky.

On the third night after his departure a tribe of stone age men raid the clearing and capture Allen, dragging him off into the night. Hadrian goes after them. Anneliese forbids it, but lacks the power to stop him. Only Manami has the strength to hinder him, and she want to go too. Hadrian convinces her to stay with the group as she is the best defense against further raids.

A few days later, Aaron returns, visibly shaken. Anneliese guesses more than she says about what he saw at the end of the tunnel, but does not pry; he clearly doesn't want to talk about it. At any rate, it was a dead end. No way out, and no help for getting his charges home. Another day passes, and there is still no sign of Hadrian or Allen. Ren is feverish and glassy eyed, ranting about how 'they' are coming for her, and will be here soon. Everyone begins to sink into despair. Even Manami.

During the third watch, a little while after midnight, there is a flash of light and a vessel of some kind appears. It is smooth and featureless and pale blue. An opening appears and a young man in a charcoal gray uniform steps out. He eyes them all with cold disdain, reserving his most withering stare for Aaron. “You all have caused a great deal of trouble, even for early 21st century AEGIS. Get in the ship. Now. And YOU!” he flicks a thumb toward Aaron “Get in the stasis chamber. I'm not allowed to punish you for things you haven't done yet, but I don't have to put up with your presence on my ship.”

“What about Hadrian and Allen?”

“They were picked up separately of course! How the hell do you think we found you out of all of history to search? They caused even more ruckus than you lot! At least helped us to narrow down the epoch. Caused irreparable damage in the process, but then that's the 21st century for you! Poison the ocean, eat all the fish, burn all the oil, melt the ice caps, pollute the time stream... and so on and et cetera. Savages.”

Anneliese stared at the man. His answer to the question hadn't been a lie. But there was something less than honest about it that she couldn't place. Ultimately she settled on keeping quiet and getting on the ship. Part of his subtext was a clear implication that he had the means to bend even Aaron to his will, and that further questions would not be welcomed.

During the trip back to the present day it was explained that they would simply be dropped off at the moment of their departure with a memory block on the whole experience. They would all assume that Aaron's test had gone so badly wrong that it had blown the back half of the school off and knocked them all unconscious. The man in gray seemed to find this deeply amusing that Aaron would take the blame.

Anneliese managed to ingratiate herself with the arrogant little man enough to allow them to observe from the bridge during the moment of their departure, allowing that satisfaction of their curiosity could do no harm since the memories would not be accessible anyway.

It was a surreal experience for the students, watching themselves following Mr. McNabb, seeing him trip, watching Hadrian's heroics, seeing Mary's portal yawn and swallow the boulder whole. Anneliese however, was not distracted by any of that. She'd been in her office doing paperwork during the incident, and maintained a laser-like focus on Hadrian and particularly McNabb.

Being an ersatz human, his body language was particularly difficult to read, as a rule, but this... this was different. This was huge, and plain as day. She was surprised the others couldn't ALL see it:

He knew.

McNabb knew what was about to happen.

He scrambled out from under Hadrian, moving like a man thirty years younger, every fiber and sinew of his being communicated a man desperately afraid he would be too late. He shouldered Ren Lee out of the way snatched the flint axe-head out of the ground. Sparks flew across its edges, playing over the old man and arcing out across the ground. Several arcs surged up and hit the ship as well, much to the consternation of the man in gray.

Anneliese however, only had eyes for McNabb. He wasn't done. He turned back toward Hadrian, and fighting his way through the growing lightning, he slashed his own palm with the axe head. Finally in one last lunge he grabbed Hadrian's hand, still holding the axe head, gripping the younger man hard enough to slash his palm too. As the time ship shuddered apart around them, Anneliesse could see the word on Allen's lips as he leaned into Hadrian and collapsed. “Remember.”

There was a sensation of falling.

۞۞۞۞۞۞۞۞​

Aaron shook his head and ran over to his colleague who he'd nearly crushed with a flying boulder, having calculated everything except how clumsy the old man was.

Allen! Are you all right?”

“Yes of course I am! Hadrian and I seem to have cut ourselves slightly, but we'll be perfectly all right in a moment. Won't we Hadrian?”

They exchanged a look.

“Yes sir. I think I'll survive. I've certainly had worse. Many times. Many many times.”

“Well! That's probably enough excitement for two lifetimes. Let's go to the cafeteria for a hot chocolate!”

“That sounds like a great idea.”

As they turned to go back to the main building, the others shrugged and fell in behind them. From the window of her office, Anneliese waved to them absently. Irrepressible as ever, Manami shouted

“Yay! I love hot chocoreto.”

Movie Night!
Featuring: Sam and
Lara
Leaving the apartments, Lara pulled her collar up when the winter breeze brushed past her. Despite wearing some layers topped with a winter coat, she could still feel the goosebumps on her arms.

The apartment front entrance opened once more, as Sam exited the building. She was wearing a grey sweatshirt with an evil-looking slice of cake on it and a caption near it saying, 'The cake is a lie!'

While Lara was drawing a blank on the reference, Sam had been grinning from ear to ear when she'd shown it off earlier. She'd felt so bad about missing the reference, but it'd been impossible to act like she had any idea what Sam had been talking about.

Both girls were wearing jeans, though Sam was barefoot as usual. Her bipedal legs and beast-like feet meant it was impossible for her to wear shoes anyways. Her tail swished about behind her, swaying side to side in time with her walking.

Nodding at Lara, Sam followed her, as the two made their way to the movie theater. While Sam was opting for the moody silence she usually preferred, Lara completely ruined it by practically skipping the whole way. She even hummed some song while skipping, oblivious to Sam's weirded-out expression.

When Lara spotted a corgi being walked, she squealed in delight with her hands scrunched underneath her chin.

Sam immediately took a combat stance, ready to defend her friend, but gave Lara look of disbelief when she realized what was happening. Relaxing, Sam shifted into an annoyed stance with her arms crossed over her chest.

Oblivious to Sam's efforts, Lara rushed forward and asked permission to pet the corgi before promptly hugging it. The owner looked uncomfortable, as Lara began cooing at the corgi and scratching behind its ear.

Sam noticed the owner's discomfort and walked up to Lara before clearing her throat.
"Lara, come on. We should probably keep moving so we get to the movie on time."

The owner hadn't noticed Sam in the darkness until she came forward and spoke. Her eyes widened with fear at Sam's appearance before she yanked on her dog's leash and sprinted back the way she'd came.

Watching the owner and dog retreat, Lara slowly stood up before turning to face Sam. Furrowing her brows, Lara opened her mouth to say something, but was cut off by Sam.
"Don't. Save it. Let's just go see this stupid movie, okay? It was your idea adn we're already partway there."

Closing her mouth, Lara sadly looked at the ground before nodding. She then turned away from Sam and walked normally the rest of the way to the movie theater.

When they finally arrived, Sam paused just before the glow of the lights coming from the movie theater. It was already a noticeably louder place, as conversations rang out in the street from within the theater. After the interaction with the dog owner, Sam wasn't all too keen to enter the theater now.

Lara noticed Sam's uneasiness and gave her a hopeful smile.
"Come on, Sam. It won't be thaht bad. Nobody will be lookin' at you once the movie sta'ts. Plus, theate's attract all kinds of people. Someone will be nice, I'm su'e of it."

Sighing, Sam didn't want to disappoint Lara now and so she simply nodded in response.

Smiling warmly now, Lara took one of Sam's hands, ignoring her surprised expression. She then practically dragged Sam into the theater, as Sam mindfully kept her tail close so as to not hit anyone with it.

While Lara ordered some popcorn and drinks at the concessions, Sam curiosuly walked around looking at movie posters. She never really watched trailers or streamed anything on her phone, but the posters alone had her curious about potentially coming back.

Sam froze when she felt someone speak up behind her. She instantly realized the voice belonged to someone very young.
"Hi, why are you blue and fluffy and have a tail?"

Turning to face the little girl, who was wearing a tutu for some reason, Sam chewed the inside of her mouth while trying to calm her nerves.
"Um, hi. I'm like this because I'm a mut-super."

Blinking innocently at Sam, the girl asked, "What's a mut-super?"

Chuckling anxiously, Sam corrected her, "I meant super. Mut-super isn't a word."

The girl nodded at this and smiled, "Oh, okay! You're really cute and fluffy like my pet cat!"

Thankfully her fur covered her blushing face, as Sam hesitantly replied, "Th-thanks, I guess."

The girl replied with a quick 'you're welcome' before turning and running back to her parents in the crowd.

Perplexed by the interaction, Sam didn't notice Lara had rejoined her until she suddenly exclaimed, "That was so cute! Oh my gosh and her tutu! I love little children, don't you?"

Raising an eyebrow at this reaction, Sam replied curtly, "No."

Scoffing, Lara rolled her eyes and said, "Suuure."
But the movie was starting soon and they couldn't stand around talking about what had happened just now. The two moved on to their movie, getting into their seats just as the trailers began rolling through.

Two hours later, the pair exited the theater with Lara rambling, "Oh my god, the dogs were so cute! The corgi was definitely my favorite, though the golden retriever was a close second."

They'd seen the most recent dog movie, titled 'A Dog's Purpose'. Sam had only agreed to it because Lara had been near tears when Sam mentioned not feeling up to it originally. Sam could be mean when she wanted to, but she could never bring Lara to tears. Or anyone, really. She enjoyed annoying people, not making them cry.

Amused by Lara's joy from the movie, Sam remained quiet and listened to her rant about each cute dog and how sweet it'd been for the dog to bring happiness to its owners.

Sam was perplexed when Lara suddenly suggested she get a dog herself, though.
"Me get a dog? I'm fairly confident the apartment complex I live in won't allow me to keep a pet. Anyways, I don't think I'd be able to properly care for one. I don't exactly have a solid income right now. The haunted house I work at only really employs me for three months a year."

They continued to walk in silence for a few minutes, the cool winter air freezing their noses. Lara figured she had to look like Rudolph by now, while Sam rubbed at her nose to try and bring feeling back to it.

Lara's thoughts jumped again, as she realized that her parents probably would be okay with adopting a dog and keeping it at home.
Grinning at this thought, Lara suddenly exclaimed, "What if you adopt a dog and I keep it at home with me? You could come visit whenever you like and I could help take care of it. We'd essentially be sharing the dog, but you'd still get one!"

Sam paused at this and considered the pros and cons.
"But what about pet supplies, the vaccinations, and vet visits? I won't be able to afford everything."

Lara continued to grin, as she replied, "I could cover anything you can't afford! I mean, if we're sharing the dog, then I obviously have to share the responsiblities."

They both paused in their walking, as they'd arrived back at the apartment complex now. Sam was thoughtful about this proposal, but she didn't say 'yes'.
"I'll consider it, okay? But there's a lot that comes with adopting a dog, so I don't want to agree to it just yet. Plus, it might be a good idea to ask for permission from your parents instead of assuming, Lara."

Lara pouted at this suggestion, but relented, "Yeah, you're right. I should probably ask first."

Sam smiled faintly, as she changed the subject.
"Tonight was nice, though. Thank you for all of this, Lara."

Lara didn't really know just how much this meant to Sam, but she grinned anyways.
"No problem! We should do this every week! New movies come out almost every Friday."

Nodding, Sam replied, "Sure, why not? I probably need to get out more anyways."

Waving goodbye to Lara, who turned away and literally flew home, Sam then entered the apartment complex and made her own way back home.

Last edited:
Kobayashi Maru
miniAaron.png Lars.jpg
He was out of options. Aaron had found the bolt hole, separating the hidden door from the steel frame as easily as if it were made of cottage cheese. There was no getting past his assailant's bulk blocking the narrow opening, slow though he was, and the emergency escape hatch had jammed when the safe house's foundation had shifted. Lars Magnusson was brought to bay at last.

Putting his hands up, he inclined his head in acknowledgement that he was beaten, smiling nonetheless.

"I am pleased it is you Aaron. Really I am. Even if you never understood what I was trying to do, you've always struck me as an interesting character, and I feel privileged to be caught by you."

"Well, I'm glad you feel that way Lars. You have a lot to answer for. I doubt you'll stand trial though. Not my area of expertise, but I'd say you're a shoe in for protective custody by reason of insanity. The downside is you'll probably never get out. Upside: no death penalty and maybe can teach our psychologists a few things about madness in connection with A6G23."

"Well that's another reason to be pleased it's you. Quite a few of your compatriots might have 'accidentally' injured or killed me during arrest. You see the bigger picture though. Not the biggest picture of course; few do. But you see value in even the most reprobate. And you would never be so clumsy or presumptuous as to hurt a suspect, would you?"

"I'd be lying if I said never, but not in a long long time, no."

"Ah! And so scrupulously honest and honorable! You strain credulity my massive friend. But then, few enough of us fail to do so. Especially here in Baltimore."

"All right, enough talk. I've heard your hypothesis, and I am not buying. Let's get you out of here."

"Indeed. It takes a good deal of convincing. Mere words are never enough. Even evidence will not suffice when your thoughts are written out to explain it all away. What would it take to shatter your foundational confidence I wonder?"

He paused for a moment, eyes closed, deep in thought. Aaron sighed, waiting patiently. It was best to let the crazies talk themselves out, he'd found; they tended to get hurt if he forced them to go before they were ready.

Lars' eyes popped open.

"I have it! You are the strongest man alive. I am, at best, a sickly specimen. And yet, I will arm wrestle you and win. Would that upend your sense of reality Aaron?"

Aaron laughed aloud. He laughed hard and long, and when he recovered, he righted the fallen table between them and sat down at it.

"I suppose it would at that. You're on Lars! Here, have a seat. You can grab just my pinky to make it 'fair' all right? And if you beat me, you can go, and I will give your 'research' a fair look, mm? And when you lose, you will come quietly, and consider that you might be wrong. Agreed?"

"Spoken like a gentleman sir. Shall we begin?"

Lars sits, blinks twice, and then holds up his index finger for a moment. After a pregnant pause he sneezes violently three times into his sleeve. Wiping his eyes, he smiles apologetically.

"Excuse me. Dry wall dust."

Aaron shakes his head, places his elbow on the table and proffers his pinky finger expectantly. Lars works his fingers rapidly as if warming up for the task, and then gently wraps them around Aaron's sausage like digit.

"On three?"

"Indeed. One... Two... Whu-"

Aaron reels, the room suddenly spinning out of control. He shifts in his seat, trying to compensate for the crazily tilting floor, but it is no good. He can't see straight, and he can feel his weight teetering on the verge of an unstable equilibrium.

"Three!"

Lars rises from his seat, shoving on Aaron's pinky with all his might, and sends the impossible man crashing heavily to the floor, his forearm smashing flat on the table and crashing through it to shatter the floor joists beneath. The whole house groans in protest with the impact.

Lars dusts his hands off, leans down and whispers in Aaron's ear. Aaron paws weakly at the air, trying to get hold of Lars, but his coordination is way off; Lars doesn't even bother to dodge.

"You might say that I cheated, Aaron, and I daresay I did. You most likely won't fall for that trick again, and I have no doubt the next time you get so close to me you will likely show up with backup, as well you should have. But before you let your author convince you our little deal doesn't count, ask yourself this: How did I know that would work? I'm forwarding you all my research. Think about it."

Aaron groans, trying hard not to vomit as he watches a dozen spinning copies of Lars walk away.

His phone pings his new email tone.

Then the house's groans drown out his own as the building crumbles into its own foundation.

Time to Grow Out that Goatee
(mirror universe prompt)

MADOC, A

AaronMadoc.png
  • Heroism Meter
    AspectScaleTotal
    Courage▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▱08
    Altruism▰▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱06
    Order▰▰▰▱▱▱▱▱▱03
    Kindness▰▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱06
    Proaction▰▰▰▰▰▰▱▱▱06
    Diplomacy▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▱▱07
    Composure▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰09

Ability Statistics
    AspectScaleTotal
    Health▰▰▱▱▱▱▱▱▱02
    Strength▰▰▱▱▱▱▱▱▱02
    Defense▰▰▱▱▱▱▱▱▱02
    Agility▰▰▱▱▱▱▱▱▱02
    Intelligence▰▰▱▱▱▱▱▱▱02
    Willpower▰▰▱▱▱▱▱▱▱02
    Energy▰▰▰▱▱▱▱▱▱03

• Ooatu Godot
        Rabbit.jpg
        Listen.

Ooatu has something to tell you, mammalian bio-entity. Normally, Ooatu would tell you you are the first to ever hear what Ooatu has to say, and count yourself lucky, for out of all of time and space, yadda yadda yadda, but that got kind of old after the first time. Ooatu liked telling that story. That story got Ooatu a syndicated contract with Multiversia Gratia Mnemosyne studios to produce more stories about interesting things Ooatu is witness to. It may not rake in the Quatloos like Atzai and Tzoma's not so secret fight club, but frankly Ooatu was getting a little bored of witnessing everything all the time without anyone to tell about it.

So. Where out of all that is or was shall we begin? OOOH! Ooatu knows! Ooatu will tell you the story of the shadow of the impossible man. Most hearers who are not irretrievably stupid know that every universe must have an opposite. A mirror-place where the evil empire is just, and the peaceful democracy is a tyranny. This is true of every possible universe, save only one. Aaron Mallory broke the multiverse. When he was just six years old, he pulled every version of himself from everywhere into himself. This should have destroyed your planet, and indeed your universe, and yet it did not. Many on your little world have debated why this should be so, but Ooatu, who knows, will not tell. Ooatu will just say this: Balance is a powerful concept to trifle with, and there was one Aaron who escaped the pull of Mallory. Aaron Madoc is not the opposite as classical multiversal physics would predict. Aaron Madoc stands apart, and his journey is as unique as any.

Aaron Madoc
        AaronMadoc.png

Frigga's Day January 13th 2040
        Baltimore, MD, Universe 137

Aaron's eyes popped open. 5:57, the clock said. Three minutes before the alarm, like always. He smiled and swung his legs over the edge of the bed. Unconsciously making them heavy and his upper body light, he practically sprang out of bed with almost zero effort. Padding out to the living room in just his red striped pajama bottoms, he rolled out his yoga mat and did his salute to the sun routine followed by several t'ai ch'i forms, pushing himself to take them as slowly as possible, as well as to shift his density for strength training. At 6:45 he got into the shower, giving himself a luxurious 4 minutes. By long habit, he pushed the density of the water as high as he could as it struck his skin, getting a hot massage, as well as blasting off the sweat and dirt as if with a fire hose. Toweling off the few droplets that hadn't sluiced off him from the increased weight, he stepped out into the kitchen to start a bagel toasting while he got dressed.

The sun was just peeking through the snow frosted trees of North Point Park as he stepped out his front door, and he paused to admire the interplay of light and ice crystals. After a moment, he realizes that the shivering is not exclusively from religious awe. It is also his survival suit's heaters not being engaged. Dialing them to full, he cuts his weight to half and bounds off down the road toward 108, devouring the distance to work in long balletic strides, like a dancer on the moon.

Aaron was in no particular hurry; school was at most a 45 minute jog away, and the semester exam celebrations didn't start until 1, but the run was part of his regimen, always trying to top his personal best time, and he particularly enjoyed the quiet suffused with manic energy at 108 on exam days. The calm before the storm.

His feet pounded the pavement, a rhythmic symphony of endorphins and oxygen exchange. Aaron was deep in the zone, warmth spreading through his limbs, limbering up his muscles and taking him out of himself. He barely registered the kid darting out of the house across the street from him, but when she scurries toward the street, heedless of traffic, she caught his full attention. The driver of the SUV speeding down Ruth Avenue on the other hand, was clearly focused on something else. With only seconds to act, he made himself as light as he was able, and leapt. Once airborne, he made himself heavy again so as to move the child as fast as possible.

With a terrible slowness, he sees the driver see him and start to swerve right, braking hard. The reaction is far too late to avoid the kid, but now the vehicle is heading toward Aaron's intended safe landing zone! Twisting his body in midair, he tucks and tumbles over the child instead of the intended saving tackle. With one hand, he reaches down and makes contact with her backpack, extending his powers to their limit to make her as light as possible. With a desperate shove, he sends her sprawling out of the path of the car. He skids across the hood, crashes into the windshield and rolls up over the roof, landing awkwardly on the ground, bruised and battered, but alive. The car hops the curb and snaps off a fire hydrant finally coming to rest atop the burst water main.

Rising unsteadily to his feet, Aaron hobbled over to check on the girl. She stared at him, wide eyed, too frightened to even notice the blood freely flowing down her shin from her skinned knee. Aaron rummaged in his pack for some antiseptic wipes, cleaned her cut, and slaps a bandaid on it. Catching her eye he asked if she was ok. She nodded fast. He told her to thank the virgin mother, and sent her packing toward the school bus that had arrived in the interim. Having dealt with that, he turned to go check on the driver.

Water sluiced out from under the vehicle in all directions, and soaked quickly through his sneakers, chilling him rapidly, but not dangerously. At least, not yet.

The driver appeared to be in his mid twenties. He looked dazed, with a slight nosebleed but otherwise appeared to be unharmed. The airbag had deployed and he was covered with the powder from that. Aaron opened the door and started on the standard concussion diagnostic.

“Sir, do you know where you are?” he asked.

The kid's eyes flicked up and down, taking him in, as if trying to figure out what his game was. Pupils looked normal, and equal, which was good, but when he answered, his voice was slightly slurred, which was bad.

“Who th'fuck are you supposed to be? Why'd you jump in front of my car? And where th'fuck is my fuckin' phone?”

Aaron repeated the question, pulling out his own phone to dial emergency services. The kid might not have a concussion, but it was a good bet he might, and better to get an EMT to check him out, to be sure.

“Baltimore. Edgemere. Ruth Avenue. What are you, stupid?” he sneered.

“Just checking. Can you tell me today's date?”

“911, what is the nature of your emergency?”

“Friday the thirteenth, dummy! Is that why you jumped in front of my car? Just bad luck, or plain fuckery?”

Aaron held up a hand to the driver, index finger raised, and turned away, stepping away from the car and out of the flood, giving most of his attention to the call. Out of the corner of his eye he saw the school bus pulling up alongside him, and turned to wave to the bus driver.

“Yes, hello. There's been an accident near the corner of Ruth Avenue and Alexander. Single car vs a blue-card, protecting a jaywalking minor. The child has a skinned knee but otherwise ok. Blue card slightly injured, car took out a fire hydrant. Driver agitated but knows his location and todays date. Could you please send an ambulance and a police cruiser? Also someone to shut off the water main before the street ices over.”

“Uh, yes sir. I can do that. Are you the blue-card holder, sir?”

“Agitated? Motherfucker you made me crack up my car! I'll show you agitated, you freak!”

The driver was shouting now, and people were starting to come out of their houses on both sides of the street to see what the commotion was. Aaron shifted his phone ear a little further away from the ranting, and opened his free hand the rest of the way, showing his palm in an unmistakable gesture of 'please stop.'

“Yes ma'm, that would be me. I was on my way to work, but I can wait here until the EMTs arrive. Do you have an ETA for that”

“Sir, I think that would be best. Thank you for your service sir. ETA 4 minutes.”

“Thank you ma'am. Your job makes ours possible.”

He broke the connection and glanced back toward the civilian, now climbing awkwardly out of his car. This kid was going to be trouble, he could just feel it. He thumbed through his contacts and dialed Director Urbain. Turning to the bus driver he asked, “Did you see all this? We're gonna need witnesses...” The driver shook his head, but pointed up toward the nearby telephone pole which had been mounted with one of the new self contained 'witness' cams. That was a relief. A quick electronic subpoena to the privacy board should settle any dispute over facts, and the cop should be able to get that done. First the kid would have to be restrained though. To judge from the look on the drivers face, he'd be throwing his first punch right about... now.

Aaron ducked to his low to his right and backed up, letting the kid almost, but not quite, tumble over top of him. The unexpected impact of Aaron's left shoulder into the kid's midriff knocked the wind out of him as his attempted haymaker wildly overbalanced him. Aaron twisted and side stepped to his right, wincing in pain as his weight shifted to his sprained left ankle. His right arm shot up, catching the younger man's wrist, and then swiveling him down into an arm bar as he shifted his weight back to his right ankle. Careful to ease him down to the pavement to avoid any secondary head trauma, he spoke as calmly as if they were discussing the weather.

“Sir, you are not going to want to struggle. This is as gentle a pin as I can manage after getting hit by a car. If you struggle you're going to hurt your shoulder, and if I let you fight me you're likely to worsen your concussion if you have one. Let's make the best of a bad day and wait for the police to sort it out, ok?”

Bracing the trapped hand against his shoulder and twisting ever so slightly to emphasize his point, he looked up to see the gathering crowd of onlookers.

“Morning, folks! Nothing to see here, just a little disagreement over traffic laws! Baltimore's finest are on their way, and we'll have this sorted out in just a few minutes. Thank you very much for your forbearance!”

As the bus rolled away, he saw the girl with her forehead pressed against the back window, waving to him shyly. He waved back with his free hand and then settled in to wait for the police. Holding his phone up to his ear, he catches the tail end of his boss's voicemail message and the beep.

“Hi, Penny... It's Aaron. I'm probably going to be hip deep in paperwork all morning, and not likely able to make the exam. Batel should be able to cover for me, and if not, well... just send a car to the police station and invoke... something constitutional sounding, I dunno. Otherwise, I will see you guys for Saturday morning classes."

Last edited:
Breaking the prime directive

Aaron was just sampling his first sip of coffee from the conch shell when the first visitors arrived on the beach. They pulled up silently in outrigger canoes and were nearly upon him by the time he noticed them. His attempts to communicate with them were basically futile. Whatever language they were speaking was opaque to him and his gestures to explain how he had come to this island drew little more than smiles and laughter. To be fair, he didn't exactly know how he had come to be here, and was not sure he could explain it even if the language barrier were not an issue. They did seem to understand his desire to leave the island and that he needed their help to do so. When they tried the obvious solution of inviting him to ride in one of their canoes they were mightily impressed by his utter immobility. It was hard to say whether their mood as they departed was more one of wonder or of fear. In the full benefit of hindsight it was something else entirely: it was religious awe.

The next day they returned bringing an intricately carved totem nearly thirty feet high, lashed between two of their largest boats. They set it up on the beach while Aaron watched in bemusement. When it was securely erected, they formed a loose ring around him and the totem and fell on their faces in some sort of ecstatic chant. For a long while, nothing else happened. He was about to go make some coffee when he felt a meaty hand land heavily on his shoulder. Then the impossible happened: the owner of the hand spun him around. Suddenly dizzy, both from the motion and the radical experience of being moved by something other than an act of his own will, Aaron stumbled back and fell into a half crouch looking up at an impossibly large islander. He was at least seven feet tall and one would guess approaching 500 pounds, except that his ability to move Aaron with just one hand suggested a much greater mass. His face was a mass of ritual scarring and he threw his head back and laughed long and loud. He shoved Aaron down and turned away, speaking to the ring of islanders around them. While Aaron still knew none of the words, the massive man's meaning was clear enough. He was berating his followers in very colorful and abusive terms. He kicked sand on them, harangued them each individually and then collectively. Aaron sat watching passively, right up until the man drew a knife and held it to one of the prone men's throats. This was too much. He stood up.

Hey!”

Whatever the big man said in return was clearly a challenge, but a challenge to what exactly, Aaron didn't know. The main thing was that he had dropped his original victim who scuttled back to the circle, obsequiously avoiding eye contact. A few of the others dared to look up. In their eyes he read terror, but also resentment of the big man. And in a few... perhaps hope?

His thoughts were jarred back to the present moment when the man surged forward, knife glittering in the sun and slashing downward toward his left clavicle. Unconcerned, but instinctively protecting himself, Aaron raised an arm to block, shattering the blade of the knife on his wrist. For a moment the big man is taken aback, as is Aaron. The knife did not cut him, but he did feel the impact. This man must be a super of some kind, and a more powerful one than he has ever encountered. Warily, he raises his hands into his best approximation of a defensive stance, suddenly wishing he had paid more attention to John's martial training sessions back in the old days. His opponent, for his part, recovers quickly from the surprise of the broken knife and surges forward as swiftly as the wind. Aaron tries to grapple him only to find he has become insubstantial and passes over and around him like the hot and fetid breath of a fevered madman. He materializes behind Aaron with a burly arm across his windpipe. Impossibly, he finds his air cut off, squeezed by titanically strong grip. Trying not to panic, he flails his hands back behind him trying to get hold of his attacker. His eyes are bugging out of his head, tongue protruding as if to taste the air he can no longer breathe. In desperation he grabs the man's thick forearm and drops to the ground, using his weight to break the grip and flinging his would be murderer away from him. Inhaling spasmodically, he finds he has managed to maintain a hold on his assailant's arm. If he had time to reflect, he might not have had the guts to do what he did next. Where normally he would show the utmost restraint to avoid injuring less sturdy beings, fear pushed him past those limits before he had time to think about it. With his left hand he pushed the captured wrist hard away from himself while pulling inward with all his might on the elbow. There was a terrible cracking sound, like a tree trunk snapping, and as Aaron released his grip, the other man's right arm hung limply at a deeply unnatural angle. He held up his hands, palms out, attempting to signify a desire for truce, but the man just laughed. With his left hand he shoved Aaron aside and strode rapidly to the totem. Placing his right elbow against the dark, carved wood he shouted something to the ring of spectators who began to chant. His arm seemed to flow back into place with a noise even more disturbing than the sound of it breaking, the sort of grinding one might imagine a millstone makes reducing bones to bone meal. He also seemed to grow several feet taller. With a roar of challenge he bounded back toward Aaron, clearly ready to re-enter the fray. Unable to get back to his feet fast enough to meet the attack, he threw himself forward, tucking his chin and rolling into a ball. By sheer luck as much as by tactics, the giant was unable to compensate in time and tripped over him to land facedown in the sand. In the brief respite, Aaron clambered to his feet, rushes toward the totem and swings his hands together around it. There was a sound like thunder. When the dust cleared, the wooden carving has been splintered utterly.

Of the giant, there is no sign. Slowly the islanders approach him. Hesitantly one touches him. Then another. Little by little they crowd around him, whispering reverently. Gradually the whispers build into jubilant whoops and the circle devolves into a whirling dance of celebration.

Aaron sighs.

Beautiful. Out of the coffee conch of exile, into the campfire of godhead. Pretty sure commonwealth has rules against this sort of thing...”

Tis the season

The building lies in ruins, festooned with the shattered corpses of knights, their armor pulverized, the flesh beneath mangled almost beyond recognition. Here and there one sees highlights of red; arterial sprays artistically marking the final moments of a human being. Or in two or three cases, a super-human. At the center of the destruction is a heaving bulk of scaly bluish-green, its skin rippling over a musculature that might seem almost comically exaggerated in other circumstances. The creature is wounded, bleeding from numerous superficial wounds. Rising from inspecting one of the many bodies it becomes clear that the monstrous thing is female, barely concealed by the tattered remains of a Dabbs designed suit which has clearly been tested to its limits. At her full height, she is terrifying to behold. She glares about her searching for any remaining enemies who would dare to challenge her. Finding none, grabs the nearest corpse, and with both hands pounds it into the ground, as if to make sure of it, pulping what remains into little more than a red stain in a crater. Rather than growing calmer, this seems to agitate her. Frustrated in her desire to exorcise her anger, she pivots this way and that seeking something fresh to smash. Then she stops, head cocked to one side, listening. There is a car approaching...

In a single bound she lands with an earth shaking thump in front of the relatively tiny blue car, punching down through the hood and engine block both, and stopping the car cold. The airbag goes off, and shortly afterward, a middle aged woman tumbles out of the drivers side door, bleeding profusely from her nose, but unnoticed by the monster which continues to gleefully disassemble the front of the car with windmilling haymaker punches. Only when the woman stands up is she noticed. The monster pauses in her efforts to tear the car into confetti and grunts, sizing the driver up, as if for a coffin. For her part, the woman merely nods in greeting.

Manami. It is over now. Owatta. Yamete kudasai.”

Jerking as if stung by the use of her name, the creature surges forward stopping just inches from the woman and growling low and menacingly in the back of her throat. The woman flinches slightly, but does not yield ground. Instead she opens her mouth and in a clear voice, barely a hint of shakiness, she begins to sing.

Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium...”

The effect on the monster is impressive. Reeling back as if struck by a sledgehammer, she stumbles and falls. She scrambles backwards along the ground, seeking escape as the woman continues to sing.

Wir betreten feuertrunken,
 Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!”

The creature seems to be deflating, but still seems larger than a grizzly bear when she gets to her feet, arms up, stingers protruding as if in challenge to the sorcery of this impromptu concert. From the back seat of the ruined car a young androgyne with brownish hair and soft green eyes stumbles out and joins the chorus.

“Deine Zauber binden wieder
 Was die Mode streng geteilt...”

With two singers confronting her, she is unsure who to attack. As they advance, still singing, she sits back on her haunches, her face gradually relaxing, the contortions of rage giving way to her normal placid expression, her bloodshot eyes fading to their customary black. At the same time, her wounds seem to grow in proportion to her shrinking bulk, smoothly morphing from mere annoyances to truly life threatening. Manami looks ghastly, but she smiles nonetheless.

“Hello, sensei. Hello, Nix. You have pretty eyes. They look like a window to the sea. Thank you both for the song. I love number nine... it reminds me... of christmas.”

She smiles at them, lays back on the ground and closes her eyes, softly humming 'Ode to Joy' to herself. After a few moments, she stops, but the smile remains.

Hot Chocolate

Manami was thoroughly exhausted. Her muscles trembled on the edge of collapse and she leaned heavily on Mr. Mallory as he led her to the cafeteria table and sat her down on the bench. Ms. Page was in the kitchen, manually heating a large pot of... something. Something that smelled delicious. Sam and Kendrick sat close on either side of her, holding her up while Mr. McNabb and Mr. Mallory fetched three cups of steaming hot liquid from Ms. Page's pot. Mr. McNabb slopped quite a bit of the drink down the sides of the mug, coating it in foamy brown. It looked rather like the bilge water had after that accident in the head. The scent, however, was tantalizing and warm. Sam and Kendrick each said thank you and sipped their mugs slowly. Manami just stared blankly, manners forgotten, and not entirely sure how to cope with a sticky brown mug, even with two examples to follow. She stared through the mug, shivering with the effort required just to stay sitting up. What she wanted most of all was to swim down somewhere deep and rest until she felt better. At Kendrick's gentle prodding however, she took up the mug. It was warm and comforting in her hands, despite being slick and sticky at the same time. It smelled so very tempting, despite the disgusting color. She closed her eyes and raised the cup to her lips. She drank deeply, swallowing convulsively until it was all gone. It was a trifle too hot, almost painful to gulp down, but it was so delicious! The warmth of it spread through her belly, restoring her strength like magic.

Remembering her manners at last, she opened her eyes and looked to Mr. McNabb.

“Sank yu, sensei... may I have sum moar please?”

Last edited:
Giving Season

The brightly wrapped box sat in his lap, and he stared at it, fascinated and mystified. He looked to his mom, unsure what to do. Her smile lit his world. Whatever was in the box, if she was happy for him to have it, it was ok with him. He hugged the box to his chest and laughed.

“Oh fer' christ's sake, is he stupid or something? Open it boy!”

He stopped laughing, his eyes locked again on his mother's. Her smile remained, but no longer lit from within. Her face held the form of a smile but the light of it was gone. When she spoke, her words were cheerful, but with a brittleness underneath that made him wary.

“It's ok, baby. Open it up!”

“C'mon kid! It's christmas! Merry christmas, yeah? Open what I got you.”

The man, mom's friend, stood too close and his breath smelled bad. Looking away from him and focusing on the pretty paper helped, a little. He worked his small fingers into the gaps in the paper, carefully separating the tape so as not to leave any white spots. The man huffed impatiently, but said nothing. Little by little, savoring the contrast of the slippery red paper with the sticky clear tape, he unveiled a plain cardboard box. Dropping the box on the floor, he carefully folded up the paper to save for later. With an inarticulate noise of exasperation, the man swooped down to scoop up the box and roughly tore it open. Four small hunks of colored metal flew out. The two cherry red ones landed on the sofa, a turquoise one on the floor, and in the boy's lap, a slightly longer smoky gray one. They looked like tiny little cars, but were funny shapes compared to mom's car. Hooting in triumph, the man scooped up the one from the floor and plopped down beside the couch to push the three brightly colored models around as if they were chasing each other.

“Check it out kid! This here's a '53 corvette. More than 70 years and they still have not topped this! This 'un's a 64 Ford Mustang, classic muscle car.... brrrrrrrrmmm brrrmm! Hah! Pchurm! Pow! Car wreck! That sissy colored one's a caddy. El Dorado. Supposedly a trend setting luxury car. I don't see it beating any mustang in a throw-down though... pah! Anyhow, where's the last one? Oh you got it there, have ya? Thas' a rarity that is. 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird. One of the most powerful muscle cars every sold to the 'merican public. Folks din't like the wing on back though, and it was so long she was hard to parallel park. Heh. She was a demon on the track though.”

Done talking, he returned to bashing the two red cars together in increasingly convoluted and unlikely patterns. That was fine with Miles. He experimentally popped a couple of wheelies with the super-bird by pressing down on the comically oversized spoiler on the back, then carefully 'drove' the car from one leg to the other and back again. He liked the feel of the cool smooth metal under his fingers, and he smiled faintly, imagining flying away in the car, just him and mom.

Hanukkah 2039
(See last year's Hanukkah prompt--post number 55--for the set up!)

The door of the cell hissed open and two guards hustled in, the one on the right, slightly in the lead. There was a lot of yelling. Lie down on the floor, hands at the small of your back, and so on. He paid them no mind, but stared straight ahead as if unaware he had company. He stilled his breathing and waited for his moment. It came in the form of a barbed hook, wires trailing from the right hand guards taser. He rotated from his hips, slipping to the left, then slapping the rock bench and bouncing back up to minimize grounding contact. Meanwhile, his right hand struck upward like a snake, catching the leads just long enough to whip it around toward the guard on the left. There was a brief and painful tingle, and then the barbs found their home in the gap between the heavy kevlar vest and the shoulder pad. His gun arm jerked spasmodically, discharging a single bullet into the back of the other guard's head. The helmet contained most of the ejecta, but left little doubt that he was dealt with, and permanently. Before his body had even hit the floor, the naked prisoner tumbled off of the rock bench, rolled, and came up holding the knife from the dead man's boot. It slid almost without resistance into the space behind the chin strap of the still twitching second guard's helmet. The character of his twitching shifted subtly, from a vibratory buzz to more of a jerky spasm, which slowed and stopped as his assailant eased him to the floor, blocking the cell door from closing. Addressing the corpse quietly with a tone of regret mixed with disappointment, he swiftly stripped the first guard, dressing as he spoke.

“Poor trigger discipline, my friend. Commonwealth training standards must have slipped considerably while I've been locked away. Nonetheless, I appreciate the assist in my escape. Sorry you died.”

Chanukah Miracle

He strapped the relatively clean helmet on, completing the ensemble, took the man's gun, ejected the clip. Eight bullets left. Plus the one in the chamber. How appropriate. He'd need a miracle to get out of here alive. Replacing the clip, he begins to retrace his steps, memorized almost 15 years ago despite the blindfold he'd worn at the time.

Northern Lights

The final door hissed open and the blast of cold hit him like a freight train. He dropped the gun on the ground. It's ammo spent, it would just be dead weight, and he needed to move fast; reinforcements would not be far behind. The knife would have to do from here on out. That suited him fine. He adjusted the balaclava, then pulled on an extra one. He crept down the snow laced path, out from under the shelter of the tall fir trees, and stood stock still, awestruck. The Aurora Borealis surged and flared, dancing in the cold night sky, Polaris was damned near directly overhead.

“That... is goddamned beautiful. Downside: just where in hell did they put me? And which way is civilization?”

He paused a moment, shivering.

“Going to have to go with... south.”

Last edited:
This one had been in the works for almost two years and was completely re-written (and then finished) in the past couple months. Thanks to Gus Gus for helping with the idea, though I used some of that in a really vague way.
This is a bit different, more freeform and is written in present tense to give the reader the impression that they're watching it unfold before them as it happens to her.
Have fun?

Fever Dream Prompt - Into the Twist(er)

With her cautious, apprehensive footsteps, the form of a girl enters a large, dimly lit room where no sensible shape can be made out. There's a low perennial rumble of machine in the background, faint, bearable, however, its presence sets her thoughts in a frenzied motion. Her gaze darts from one corner to the other. It doesn't seem right, nothing about this place seems right, nothing about this place feels similar. What, how and where? And more importantly, why?

She opens her mouth to make the questions, however, for some reason can't bring herself to muster the words. A few minutes pass, there's nothing but an eerie silence making her heartbeat more prominent. There's uneasiness... And intuition. A lingering sensation that something terrible is happening. Something terrible... Something that she's not aware of and thus can't prepare for. Which is much much worse.

Certain that waiting is not the best option, the Italian takes a step forward...

As if awakened from a deep slumber, the whole complex springs up to life. The lights flicker once before staying on, there is no warning! The girl is startled and jumps back instantly: 'H-hello?', she calls out softly with her heart pounding like crazy, all between panicked, heavier breaths, 'Is there anyone here?'

No reply.

The bad sensation grows.
She holds her left arm closer to her body in an attempt to make herself feel better. If the earlier steps had been cautious already, this time it was as if there was a lot of consideration and thought behind each of them... What the lights have revealed is an unexpected console, enormous, almost like a command center. A gigantic computer composed of thousands and thousands of buttons and more! The display was odd... As she approached it she came to realize it wasn't a display, singular, but it was actually multiple. A mismatched mosaic of squares and rectangles.

Before she can make anything out of the curious array of screens an alarm starts and the screens flicker on. Between the multiple images, including one showing the entire Earth globe in it, the girl's gaze wanders here and there trying to make sense of anything as the lights around here begin to flash red.

A sensation of dread squeezes her heart tight and she starts to panic. Something is wrong, something is really really really wrong...

Before she can calm herself and think clearer, a name appears on the screen just as red as the blaring alarms:

'Baltimore'

Unable to withstand it, the girl impulsively and desperately, throws herself towards the console, wanting, longing to understand more about this whole situation.

There's a 'clank' and then the world goes black.

The rumble of the engine finally dies.
For a moment there is nothing, no image, no sounds.

And then slowly,
The whistling noise of rushing wind fades in. But not by itself, no. As the 'woosh' in the air got closer and closer the girl becomes able to make out more sounds, all at the same time but yet, muffled by the wind.

It's almost... Almost as if everything else was beyond it?

A loud crash echoes in the background prompting her heart to pound faster and the girl open her eyes (Wait. Since when have them been closed?). She looks around her, one, two, three times. The sensation of dread from earlier becomes overwhelming. As a last hope she looks down, bringing her arms forward. Her prayer however, is not answered. The obvious lack of pink is distressing, extremely worrying...

The sight before Cecilia was that of her worst nightmares.

'Oh no. Nononononononono, this can't- This can't be happening!!!'

She tries bargaining. It's not real, it's an illusion, someone is probably messing with her head. 'It can't be real!', but she can't convince herself enough.
The evidences are ruthless and the bundle of frightened cries and screams in the background are too much to ignore. Her thoughts spin, incoherent, she's unable to make them out from the cacophony of disaster.

Disaster, that no matter how looked at it, she had wrought upon the town that had welcomed her so kindly once.

...How ungrateful.

Tears start pooling up on the corner of her eyes.

"...I'm sorry..."
Ah-ah, you really did it this time Cecilia. You messed up big time and lost control. You hurt those you care about and their loved ones too. People would be a lot safer if they never approached you...
"I'm so so sorry."
Sorry? Nonono, sorry doesn't cut it! You were aware of the risks, you know how dangerous you are. You were expecting this and still did nothing to stop it! This is all your fault! You shouldn't be allowed outside!

"I didn't mean to, I-I can fix it!"

Wishing for it to be over, the Italian coves her ears and forces her eyes shut in an attempt to block all the despair and suffering from beyond. She begs again and again for it to stop, for the wind to 'listen' to her and calm down, for the deadly spinning rage of nature around her to magically disappear... Once more, her pleas are in vain.

"I-I can't... fix...", the realization sinks in like a knife killing what little of hope still remained, "I can't fix it! Why I can't fix it?! I need to, I have to-"

Tears free themselves and run down the girl's cheeks. Her vision blurs sparing Cecilia the details of the hell she had evoked. She reaches out, perhaps she can still help them somehow, but her body refuses to move. There are several tries, but absolutely no progress...

She's stuck in the eye of the storm, unable to do nothing but watch it engulf and destroy everything beyond its walls.

Silent tears soon turn into defeated sobs and pained hiccups. Cecilia covers her eyes one last time and crumbles to the floor having lost all strength and will to remain standing. Her guilt and in consequence, self-deprecating thoughts grow unbearable and the cacophony of the background gets louder and louder culminating into a single deafening ringing note.
There's nothing else to do, there's nothing she can do.
A scenario which shouldn't be anything but part of her fearful introspection, nothing but irrational ramblings of a terrified mind was unfolding before her eyes. Was this...her punishment for not paying attention? Could she have avoided this?
If she had given her worries the deserved importance, then perhaps...PERHAPS!

Abruptly, silence reigns again and with its return, her trail of thought is lost.

This time alongside the rumble of the machine there's the defeated sobbing of the girl. She takes a while to realize that she's back, though back where is still uncertain. Anything is better than wherever she had been a while ago however...

The tears slowly subside and the little Italian raises her head, just enough to catch sight of a new figure.

"...who?"

But there's no need for a reply. The figure before her needs no introduction, especially since, it was herself.

Well, 'herself' might be a stretch...

What's before Cecilia did indeed look like her, from the slightly curly hair to the cartoon-ish design on her shirt, but it was transparent and clearly made out of air.
Though it stood standing, unmoving, the wind that made out the form still shifted slightly as if the breeze's current had been trapped in a glass container shaped just like her.
It was a mesmerizing sight and yet, also terrifying.

The 'girl of wind' smiles at her. A kind, gentle smile that would have normally calmed her down, but this time only makes the other more alert.
Then it offers its hand.

The suddenness of the movement, causes Cecilia to move away. Wanting nothing to do with air after the nightmare sequence, she quickly pulls herself in the opposite direction, sliding towards the wall behind her, searching for safety.

The hand stops.

There's a new shift of the wind figure not too different from surprise and then a little nod. The Italian girl's heart weights with guilt at its dejected expression, which spells understanding but at the same time, melancholy.

It feels like she hurt someone's feelings, but whose? She couldn't say...

Before Cecilia has time for anything else, the wind-person withdraws a couple steps back and with a 'woosh' and the blink of an eye, it is gone, taking with it any illumination of the facility.

Suddenly plunged into darkness, Cecilia feels like crying again. No matter what, she can't shake the sensation that she had just hurt someone very important with her actions, and badly...

Between new sobs and the engine rumble, a third, screeching noise joined in, growing louder and louder until everything had been consumed by the incessant 'hiss' of static...!!!

----

And a familiar yellow ceiling could be finally seen.

(Epilogue)
Instantly, Cecilia springs up from the couch, accidentally knocking the TV's controller out of it and into the ground. The hiss of static grows even louder now, quicker, beyond bearable levels, taking the teen off guard and in a surprised jerk that almost takes her onto the floor as well.

Clearly unnerved, the little Italian swiftly picks the controller back up and doesn't hesitate to turn the television off right away. After a 'thuf' of the device being put in stand by, silence finally reigns supreme.

The girl takes a deep breath to calm herself down, repeating to herself that it had been just a dream, that everything was fine, that this was her apartment. The apartment was safe.

...but safe from who?

She takes a new breath but this time it devolves into a choke. New tears rise and the consequential sob is silent, lasting a couple minutes until silence is back. Calmer, her gaze darts over the little table in front of her, surveying its contents: A used bowl, a hot-water bag, flu medicine, a DVD's box...

Ah, that's right... She had been watching a movie last night in the hope that it would distract her from being sick and allow her to finally sleep. By the looks of it, the plan had worked. Weird dream aside, she did feel a lot better this morning.

Cecilia glances at the TV, then back at the table, then around the rest of the room. It's like she's looking for something, however, not even she is aware of what she'd even be looking for... And whatever it was, it wasn't found. Her gaze returns to the table, she should get up and start cleaning now. But, there's an uneasiness in the environment, a little apprehension over leaving the couch at all. Something inside her is begging her to stay.

She hesitates, but ultimately decides against the suggestion.

Once up, Cecilia goes around the brown couch, where a soft blanket with a flowery pattern remained, and moves towards the curtains, opening them up. Illuminated, the living room seems less gloomy, less threatening. As if even remaining 'shadows' of her nightmare have been washed out by it...

It was incredibly refreshing.

The girl opens the doors of the balcony to allow the air currents to mix and with a breath of the now tension-free air, turns around, back towards the little table in the middle of the living room.
The little Italian picks up the dirty bowl and the tiny bottle of medicine and then to the corridor of the kitchen. She puts the medicine back in its box and together with all of the other health stuff, then places the bowl over the sink.

As Cecilia washed the dishes that morning, she was certain of two things. One: watching TV while being sick really wasn't that good of an idea.

Second: She should have never allowed that DVD rentals worker convince her to take out 'Twister' to watch...

Last edited:
Testing Day - Jeremiah Johnson
Placement: Before Episode 5
It was a lazy Sunday morning and the sun was beginning to peak over the horizon and shine into Jeremiah's room. The pile of library books that sat on his desk cast a long shadow over the room's floor. Jeremiah was lying in bed, staring at the light of the sun as it came in. His eyes followed the light as it travelled all along the floor after starting from the wall. Closing his eyes he focused intensely on the light that was crawling on the floor, forcing his will over it the best he could. As it moved forward it suddenly stopped. One of Jeremiah's eyes opened, peeking at the stopped light before he opened them both wide.

Looking back at the window just to confirm the sun was moving he smiled widely, proud at having managed to trump over physics. This feeling of glee was short-lived, as soon the light continued to move forward, even speeding up to catch up with where it should be. Still he had managed to stop it for a short time, and that was important to him, Now if only I could manage to find out a bit more about my powers. Though I guess that's what this meeting is for today. Jeremiah groaned as he suddenly remembered the meeting he had to get to today, and he sat up in bed quite abruptly.

After getting over the momentary dizziness from having stood up so quickly Jeremiah began to put some clothes on. Figuring that he wouldn't be gone too long today, and also really hoping that would be the case, he went simple with his choices. He pulled on a pair of jeans that had the least amount of holes in them, put a shirt that had some obscure local business plastered across it(something about a bakery that Jeremiah hadn't visited), and finally put some shoes that showed their age with one of them having a moving flap on the sole. Tying his shoelaces, and then scratching an absolutely terrible itch on the back of his neck, Jeremiah stretched his arms, legs, and then walked out of his room.

~~~
Jeremiah stood in the middle of a large room. Off to his left sat a table with five chairs, each of the chairs had a tablet placed on them. On the other side of the room stood five 'dummies' that were just poles with inflatable balloon-like objects acting as a chest and head. Jeremiah stared at the dummies and scratched his head, Perhaps it's just an average thing to have the dummies? Not sure if they know that my power is not exactly destructive. In fact I'm pretty sure that I'm the least combat-accessible person in this facility. Who knows though, maybe I can shine a light bright enough to hurt somebody. Actually, that might be possible. Maybe if I brought up enough light I could have it act like a miniature su- Jeremiah was cut off from his rambling thoughts by the sound of the doors behind him slamming open. In through them strode five confident looking people

It was easy to figure out that these were the people meant to judge his powers. They all wore fairly similar business suits and attire, though one of them was carrying a briefcase sized device. The device looked aesthetically similar to the one that the doctor had used to originally test for his power. Perhaps they were wanting to test Jeremiah again. They all took a seat at the table that was at Jeremiah's left. The one that had carried in the device stood up, still holding said device, and walked over to Jeremiah. The device had a screen on the top of it's rectangle shaped body along with a small hole that faced Jeremiah.

The man cleared his throat, causing Jeremiah to look up at him from the device, "Place your finger in that hole and you'll be given a small prick on your finger. The machine will hold on to your finger for a moment to collect some of your blood and then release it. Afterwards we'll get some more detailed results on what your power does." It seemed as though the machine was far different from the one Jeremiah had used when testing with the doctor, but the effect would likely be the same. Jeremiah stuck his finger into the machine, felt it press down around his finger, locking in tight, and then felt a sharp poke on the tip of his finger. A pressure from the machine pushed tight into his finger, drawing out blood from it. After another moment his finger was released form the pressure and Jeremiah could pull back his finger, taking a moment to suck the still-flowing blood from it.

The machine took a minute before it finally gave it's reading, PRIMARY GENE POWER: LIGHT MANIPULATION ; SUB CATEGORIES MAY INCLUDE: COLOR MANIPULATION, LIGHT FORMATION, OR DARKNESS MANIPULATION. ACCURACY OF RESULTS IS EQUAL TO 66%, ONLY 2 OF 3 SUBPOWERS ARE LIKELY TO MANIFEST. Jeremiah looked at the machine's screen, eyes widening, I had that much more power hidden inside of me? He placed a hand against his chest, surprised at how much he had hidden.

The man in front of him held the device near him for a second more before turning and walking back over to the table quickly taking a seat and placing the device on the ground beside him. Jeremiah turned to face the table. All five men and women brought out pens and held their tablets up, the same man that had spoken to him before spoke again, "Hello... Jeremiah Johnson."

Jeremiah silently laughed at the coldness and formality in his voice, it was similar to the people he talked to when discussing the insurance for his mother, "Please just call me JJ."

One of the suits typed something up on their tablet, "Right," The same man from before continued, "JJ could you first demonstrate to us your main power of Light Manipulation?" Jeremiah suppressed another laugh at how the man had said his nickname before nodding and turning to his right. Drawing together his hands to his chest in a small circle he focused entirely on pushing the energy he could feel from deep inside of him throughout his arms and force it through the palms of his hands. After just a moment he could see the light begin to gather in a tight sphere in his hands. Once he felt that enough light had been gathered into his hands he pushed them forward and watched as a large blast of light erupted forward from them. There was no control for the blast and so the light shot out wide like a shotgun might, flying forward until it impacted against the wall he was facing.

Jeremiah could hear the sounds of the typing even before he turned around to see all five of the suits tapping frantically on their tablets. Occasionally over the next minute a few of them paused to steal a look at him before they resumed their typing at a quickened pace. Jeremiah was asked to preform a few other tasks around his basic light manipulation, such as drawing some light towards him, expelling a small flash of light outwards, controlling it into a beam of light from his arm, and even focusing light around himself. Most of the demands were not too difficult to meet though some did make him stress out his powers. Nothing too difficult yet. That part came with what a woman at the table asked him to do next.

"Mr. Joh-" She cleared her throat, "JJ, could you please show us your basic ability to change color." She tapped something down on her tablet before looking up at him expectedly. Jeremiah frowned and then immediately said, "I don't really know how to do that. I kind of just heard I could even do that today from that machine." Jeremiah shrugged, a slight smile on his face. She clucked her tongue in disappointment, typing something else on the tablet in her hands and causing the smile Jeremiah had to disappear from his face, "However I could certainly try to do it. N-no promises or anything." Jeremiah gave a smile that quickly turned nervous at her expressionless face.

He moved over to one of the dummies, eyeing the bright red balloon face it had. He focused out his energy, feeling the light that coalesced around it. Just as he had focused the light around himself earlier he tried changing the light that was reflecting off of the balloon in front of him. Although he could get it to turn into a slightly darker red or an even brighter one he couldn't change anything about it's color. Frustrated Jeremiah pushed all the light to being reflected from the balloon turning it completely white. He couldn't change too much specific about how the light changed color but he could go for a blanket change such as white or black. Jeremiah quickly realized that he couldn't change the balloon color back to red, which caused a slight amount of that same color to appear on his cheeks.

Turning to face the people at the table he waited for what they would want him to do next. They were all typing away at their tablets, and the silence was beginning to unnerve Jeremiah. Finally after another minute passed another businessman looked up at Jeremiah, "D'you think you could try out that 'light formation' technique or whatever?" The man coughed at the end of his sentence.

Learning now that these were not people that were here to actually talk to him, Jeremiah simply turned around and faced another one of the dummies. Bringing out both hands in front of him he focused light around the both of them, trying his best to cause any kind of solidification on them. Surprisingly it was actually quite easy to do, and he soon had two solid fists of light. Looking between the two "gloves" of light surrounding his hands he looked at the dummy in front of him and punched forward with a right hook. The balloon of the dummies head snapped backwards before popping from the sudden force. Jeremiah turned to the next dummy and forced the spheres on his fists to extend more sharply forward, turning the gloves he had into sharp pointed blades from his hands. His left hand slashed out, cutting into both of the dummy's balloons and popping the two of them.

Jeremiah then turned back to face the five suits. His breath was beginning to get more labored as he felt the stress of all the light shifting taking hold of him. After a few more minutes of typing Jeremiah was finally cleared by the five suits to leave the building. Jeremiah walked from the building to the nearest park he could find and sat down on one of the benches, sighing deeply he looked up at the sun's position in the sky. It was nearing the middle of the sky and a rumble from his stomach told him that it was just around lunch time. Staring back down at his shirt he smiled, "Looks like I have a reason to try out that bakery." He stood up and walked out into the city, light forming along his arms and legs as he moved.

Shhh! - Jeremiah Johnson
Placement: Beginning of March
Jeremiah heard ringing in his ears. At least he hoped that it was ringing. His breath was shaky, trying to take it was like attempting to lift a car over and over again. In. Out. In. Out. How was his chest not crushed right now? It had to be, there's no way that he should be able to breathe. This weight in the center of his chest. It was ripping through every part of him. He let his eyes finally open up, taking a moment to locate the doctor in front of him, "A-are you positive?"

The doctor sighed, it took him a few seconds, but then he slowly nodded his head. Jeremiah's breath caught in his throat. In. Out. In. Out. Just breath a bit more. Once his breathing had returned to a normal pace he decided to look through the glass again. He could see his mom lying in the bed, looking so serene. She looked like she was at peace. Jeremiah chided himself at the idea that she could be at peace, she still had so much more life she should be living, It should be me in that bed. Not the woman who has given everything in her life into making sure that I stayed safe and was able to go to school.

The doctor looked between Jeremiah and his mother, he bowed his head and quietly said, "Take as much time as you need." The steps of his feet as he walked away were the only thing that let Jeremiah know that he had left. His eyes were trained solely on his mother. Taking a deep sigh, he walked over to the door to her room. His hand hovered over the handle, pausing as if to see whether or not she would wake up. She didn't.

Jeremiah stepped quietly into the room, walking over and taking a seat next to the bed. Next to his mother. A million thoughts raced through his head. Some were about what he would do for a funeral, if he even could do anything. Some of the thoughts lingered on all the sparse great moments he was able to share with his mom, those minute times that they shared a laugh or he had even just seen her smile at him. A few of them wondered about his father, who had said he was going to be here today, though it was no surprise that he would lie to him. He had managed that well for the first ten years he was alive. There was one thought that for a moment unsettled Jeremiah. It was a momentary dark thought, I'm glad to be free of the burden.

The minute it crossed Jeremiah's mind he wanted to throw up. It was disgusting to have even thought that for a second. This was about his mother, the greatest person he knew and the person who threw so much away for him. How could he even possibly for a moment feel glad that his mom was... going away. Jeremiah sighed. Somehow it still didn't feel real for him. His eyes flickered over to his mom, he knew that he couldn't take all day with this. Looking back at the clock he realized that thirty minutes of him thinking had passed, yet it still didn't feel like long enough.

Jeremiah found the spot that the doctor was talking about, wrapping his hand around it. Doubts began to seep back into his mind, but he pushed them all away. He just needed a few seconds to prepare himself. He pulled his hand back, feeling the cord come loose and looked over at his mom. His eyes went wide, was he just imagining that?

It was right when he turned to look at his mom that he swore that she had just moved. Had she? Was there a way that... no. It had to be some, post-death spasm. There had to be something like that. There was no way that he had just killed his mother. He was putting her out of her misery. It's not possible she was still alive. For all Jeremiah knew he could have just been imagining it. It probably didn't even happen. Jeremiah stared down at her, something wet on his cheek. Rubbing that off he turned to walk out the door and let the doctor know he had done it, yet he took one last glance back. He regretted doing so immediately, because it only gave more doubt in his heart.

~~~​

Jeremiah sighed as he stepped back into his room. His roommate was gone today for some reason. He wasn't sure and hadn't cared enough to ask. Jeremiah felt his back hit the bed. There was nothing more that he wanted to do then fall asleep and forget this day. His mind flashed back to his mother, lying in that gurney as they wheeled her into the ambulance. That one day that felt like so long ago now. Jeremiah felt tears welling up, he was okay with acknowledging them now. He sat up in his bed, letting the tears streaming down his reddened face turning into sobs. The corner of his mind still acknowledged what had happened earlier today, but the rest of him knew that nobody should ever hear about what he had seen.

Last edited:
Had a lot of fun writing this. I even added a bit of Lore into his Barrier ability, but feel free to ignore it if you like.

Testing Day - Zayne Richards

The morning sun coats a modest hotel, gently peeking through the blinds of one of the rooms as an alarm clock blares out. The resident, Zayne, hazily tries to navigate his hand to the clock's unfamiliar location to silence it. Once this was accomplished, he slides the covers off and moves to a sitting position at the edge of the bed, taking in his surroundings. While his family had been living at this hotel for a week now - a compensation from their insurance as they worked to fix their burned-down home - this was his first night sleeping here, having only just recently been admitted from the hospital. Zayne looks over at the adjacent bed to his still-sleeping brother and recalls the night of the fire, how his superpowers had manifested allowing him to save his brother, and then how his attempts to help further seemed to end in failure, causing the would-be savior to need to be saved. He then sighs, remembering the Commonwealth agents whom he had met while in the hospital, explaining the situation and the steps Zayne would need to take. Zayne stares at his hand for a moment, then closes his eyes in concentration. In moments, he feels his body envelop with a now-familiar energy, the energy of his Barrier. He opens his eyes to once again stare at his hand, seeing an almost-invisible veil surrounding it. He then quickly deactivates his powers, remembering the words of caution the Commonwealth agent gave him, that he wasn't allowed to use his powers until he was properly tested at their facility. Zayne didn't much care about his powers, but he knew well enough that he'd have to go through whatever testing they needed to do before he'd be able to resume his regular life. It was because of this that he scheduled the testing for as soon as he got out of the hospital, in hopes of just getting it over with. His thinking done for now, Zayne finally gets out of bed and sets to getting ready to go, taking a quick shower, then grabbing a basic change of clothes - black shirt, jeans and sneakers - before exiting his room and walking over to his parents'; he had already discussed things with his family while in the hospital, and his parents were adamant about coming along. Once his family was ready, they all departed from the hotel room to the Commonwealth office they had scheduled an appointment with.

-------------
Zayne stands in what appears to be a large gym. While there is a table with tablets and various other pieces of technology, all around him are what look to be various training apparatus - Zayne notes an extensive set of weights, a treadmill, a series of training dummies, and what looks like a pitching machine before the door opens and snaps him back into focus. Four adults enter, three of which promptly seat themselves at the table - two men and a woman - positioning themselves to face Zayne, while the fourth attaches a series of doodads Zayne recognizes as being similar to what the hospital used to check his vitals. Once the doodads were fully attached, the fourth adult leaves, and the man in the center speaks, bearing a rather mechanical tone, as though he had long-since memorized what he was saying.

"Zayne Richards, you are here today to undergo superpower testing, followed by acquisition of your Limiter and any resulting steps the Commonwealth deems necessary. Are you ready to proceed?"

"Uh, er, yeah. I mean, I guess." Zayne was never very good at tests, and the unfamiliar setting certainly wasn't helping matters.

The center man seemed to ignore Zayne's nervousness and gestured to a device in front of him. The device was rectangular, with a screen on top and a hole in the front roughly large enough for a finger. The center man speaks once again in the same mechanical tone. "Place your finger in that hole and you'll be given a small prick on your finger. The machine will hold on to your finger for a moment to collect some of your blood and then release it. Afterwards we'll get some more detailed results on what your power does."

Zayne looks at the device, a little wary, but approaches it nonetheless and sticks his finger in. He feels it press down on his finger, then winces as the device pricks his finger. After a moment, his finger is released, and Zayne instinctively places it in his mouth to try to stop any excess bleeding. While he tends to his finger, the machine whirs to life, the screen quickly issuing its reading, PRIMARY POWER: M-CLASS BIOFIELD GENERATION. UNCOMMON ANOMALY DETECTED WITHIN BIO-ENERGY; ANOMALY MANIFESTS WHEN BIOFIELD IS BROKEN. MOST COMMON SUBCATEGORIES FOR ANOMALY: EXPLOSIVE FIELDS AND ABILITY BOOST. Zayne stares at the screen, a little dumbfounded. I knew I could make a barrier, but what's this about explosive barriers and ability boosts?

The man in the center quickly flips the device around for the trio to read it, and the man on Zayne's right gestures in an understanding manner. "Don't worry about that last bit too much. We've determined through eyewitness testimony that your power's anomaly is highly likely the latter of those two. A part of your testing will be determining exactly how the anomaly manifests itself and to what extent."

After writing a few things down, the center examiner clears his throat and points to a slightly-raised platform to Zayne's side, "We'll begin with preliminary power testing. Please stand on the designated platform and activate your ability."

Zayne, not wanting to question the man, quickly does as he's told, standing on the platform on the big red X provided and activating his barrier. As he feels the energy coat his body, he assumes a neutral fighting stance, arms held tight against his sides, but his legs straight. After an awkward moment, the center examiner once again speaks. "Please activate your ability."

"Um, it is..."

The three examiners look at each other for a moment, then the final member, the lone woman, chooses to speak. "Apologies, Zayne, but eyewitness accounts said you were able to construct a visible biofield that you used to protect the residents of your apartment complex. Are you saying you can activate it without it turning visible?"

Zayne pauses for a moment before scratching his head, "Uh...I dunno...that day was the first time I used my power. I've tried a couple times since then, and it seems like I can coat my body with my Barrier...ah-" Zayne pauses, realizing what he said. He was told by the Commonwealth agents at the hospital that he wasn't supposed to use his powers again until he was properly tested.

The examiner on the right catches on to this quickly, again gesturing understandingly. "It's alright, Zayne. We can understand wanting to test your power, so long as no one was hurt in the process. If you could, please try to expand your biofi-...your Barrier as wide as you can."

Zayne nods, then concentrates, expanding his barrier outward. As it expands, it emits a faint light-blue glow. Once the barrier reaches its max size, Zayne gives a nod to the examiners, at which point the center man grabs a remote from the table and points it towards the pitching machine. In seconds, the machine hums to life, then turns to face Zayne. "Now, to begin with, we're going to test your biofield's protective abilities. This machine has been modified to fire various projectiles of equally various materials, so we will hopefully get a full grasp of what your ability can do. Are you ready?"

Zayne stares down the pitching machine for a moment, then nods. The center examiner presses a button, and a simple tennis ball shoots out of the machine, though at a surprising speed. Right before it hits the barrier, Zayne instinctively strengthens his stance, locking his legs down in a sturdier position, and places his hands over his head. As the ball makes contact with the barrier, it simply disintegrates. Zayne looks up, wondering where the ball went, but all he can see is the three examiners writing down notes, muttering to each other. The center examiner raises the controller in the air, signaling another projectile. This time, it was a baseball, once again hurtling towards Zayne at a blistering pace, faster than a major league pitcher could throw. Zayne holds his hands up again, but keeps his eyes locked onto the ball and watches as it, too, disintegrates. As this happens, however, the light blue of Zayne's barrier shifts to a much darker blue with a hint of green in it. The examiners once again write down notes, and the female examiner raises her hand to get Zayne's attention. "Zayne, are you aware that your...Barrier...can do more than simply negate attacks?"

Zayne immediately looks at the woman, his stance broken. "Huh? Wha?" Zayne had meant to ask "What do you mean?" but nothing else came out.

The female examiner continues, believing Zayne's reaction to be normal. "People with Biofield Generating powers can choose how their Biofield reacts to various dangers. The people you saved all said that your Barrier extinguished all flames it came in contact with, as well as clearing the air of smoke and other dangerous gasses. While your efforts were commendable, complete negation like what your demonstrating often comes with an increased drain on your powers. For this next projectile, please try to simply repel it."

Zayne looks around for a second before nodding hesitantly. With that, the female examiner nods to the center examiner, who fires another baseball at Zayne. This time, Zayne resumes his karate stance, trying to focus on deflecting the ball. As the ball makes contact with the barrier, Zayne reflexively lets out a punch, and the gesture seems to work, as the ball is sent flying in the opposite direction, like Zayne had hit it with an expert bat swing. The barrier also showed no change in color, but Zayne was too surprised to take notice. The examiners did, however, and took notes appropriately. The tests continue, with Zayne repelling and deflecting various different objects, even allowing them to pass through his barrier when asked to. Zayne's barrier also proceeds to progress in color, moving from blue, to green, yellow to orange, then finally to red. As the center man readies a metal ball this time, Zayne prepares to negate the attack. However, as soon as the ball hits the barrier, the usual sight of disintegration doesn't occur; instead, the barrier shatters and the ball continues onward, although at a slightly slower speed. Even at the reduced speed, the ball whizzes past Zayne and crashes into the wall behind him; if he had taken that head-on, it definitely would have broken a few bones. While Zayne was too concerned by the hurtling ball of death to notice, as soon as his Barrier had broken, the energy began to glow a bright red as it flew back into Zayne. Upon this, the two side examiners write down their notes while the center one puts the remote down and presses a call button on the side of the table before proceeding. "We now have confirmation that your Biofield's anomaly is, indeed, of the Ability Boost variety. We will now issue a series of tests to determine the nature of the boost. First, please get onto the treadmill."

A bit confused, Zayne does as he's told. As he walks to the treadmill, a pair of men enter the room and head towards the weights. Instinctively, Zayne stops, but the examiner on the right speaks up, "Don't worry about them, Ability Boosters usually have a limited time before their boost goes away, so they're simply here to prep the other stations while you go."

Not really sure what to make of that, Zayne shrugs and continues to the treadmill. As soon as he's on it, the center examiner grabs another remote and quickly begins pressing buttons, activating the treadmill immediately. Zayne quickly tries to match the pace of the treadmill, but even at a full sprint, he can't keep up with the rapidly-increasing pace. In barely half a minute, Zayne trips, falls on his side, and is catapulted off the treadmill; thankfully, a cushion had been placed behind the treadmill for just such an eventuality, minimizing the damage to Zayne's body. The examiners quickly write down their notes, then the center man speaks up, "Next, proceed to the deadlift bar."

Zayne nurtures a small skidmark on his shoulder as he walks to the deadlift. As he approaches it, he stops and stares at it. He was no slouch at weight-lifting - he'd done deadlifts before in school and held the record in his class at close to 400lbs. - but what he was staring at was easily Guinness-levels of weight. Zayne points at the bar and looks to the examiners, wanting to say something in protest, but all that he could manage was a few syllables of noise. This time, it's the female examiner who tries to reassure him. "Please try, but don't force yourself. If you genuinely can't lift it, we'll simply move onto another potential field."

Zayne shakes his head as he moves his right hand through his hair. Are they kidding me? First the treadmill, and now this? Is this supposed to be a test or an audition for America's Funniest Home Videos? With a sigh, Zayne assumes the proper deadlifting stance, gripping the bar tightly. He knew he had to give a genuine effort or they wouldn't believe him, but he wasn't about to cause a hernia in the process. Zayne closes his eyes, takes a deep breath, and starts to lift the bar; as he does so he's overcome with a strange sensation - more accurately, the lack of one. He didn't feel the intense resistance of trying to lift a bar several times his own weight. In fact, as he opened his eyes, he saw the bar lift off the ground. Surprised, Zayne continues the deadlift, lifting the bar up and over his head. He stares up, awestruck, not sure what to make of it. Meanwhile, the examiners once again write down their notes, the center examiner being the first to speak up yet again. "It would appear your Ability Boost is Strength-based. We will now test both the outer limits of your boost, as well as the inherent time limit."

With that, the two men return to the weight station and quickly add another stack of weights to the bar. A bit hesitant, Zayne resumes his stance and performs yet another deadlift, still surprised that he can even manage such a feat. This continues for a couple minutes, until finally, Zayne's strength seems to find its limit, as he yanks on the bar to little effect. The examiners all write down their notes, then the center examiner gestures to the two men and speaks "Very good. To keep from injuring yourself, we'll give you a pair of dumbbells to hold. When you feel your strength boost wear off, please drop them immediately on the mats provided."

Zayne was focused on the center examiner as he spoke, but as he turned back around, Zayne stared at two massive dumbbells, each one easily weighing more than him. Zayne gave a quick, surprised chuckle before kneeling down to grab both dumbbells. As he stands there, he can't help but feel like a delinquent in some old highschool anime, standing outside class with a pair of waterbuckets. After a few minutes of this, Zayne suddenly feels the full weight of each dumbbell, his powers obviously gone, and quickly lets go before they can tear his arms off. The examiners react predictably, writing yet more notes, and the center examiner once again speaks up. "Alright, please return to the platform and activate your barrier again."

With a nod, Zayne returns to the platform and resumes his stance. However, as he tries to activate his Barrier, he feels...nothing. The hell? It usually comes out so easily... Zayne concentrates even harder, and after a moment his Barrier finally forms, expanding somewhat slower than before. Although he didn't notice it, as the barrier expands the initial blue hue gains a tint of green, which the examiners quickly note. The center examiner reaches for yet another remote, different from the pitching machine from earlier, and presses the center button. In seconds, the pitching machine recedes into the floor, being replaced with...a turret?! Zayne immediately steps off the platform. "Oh hell no! What the fuck is this?!"

"Mr. Richards, this is part and parcel of your test. We need to determine just how powerful your barrier is. Rest assured, the turret is loaded with basic handgun rounds, and we'll be firing them at your biofield, away from any part of your body."

Zayne opens his mouth to retort, but the right examiner stops him. "Everyone we've tested in this way has the same reservations, Zayne. Trust us, you won't come under any harm, and if something should go wrong, we have a trained team of medical professionals, both super and non, ready to help."

Zayne scowls, wanting to retort but words failing him, as he reluctantly returns to the platform. As he nervously puts his arms up in a guarding position, the center examiner walks over to the turret, carefully aims it so that it targets only the barrier, then returns to his seat and presses one of the buttons on the remote, causing the turret to fire a single bullet. Zayne flinches at the sound of the fired bullet, but his barrier holds out, negating the shot entirely, but at a significant cost to the Barrier's health. The examiners quickly jot down their notes, and the center examiner speaks, "This time, please try to halt the bullet's movement without destroying it."

Zayne quickly turns his head to stare at the man incredulously, but before he could have a chance to say anything, the turret fires yet another bullet. Reflexively, Zayne guards once again, and the Barrier reflects the bullet this time, causing it to embed itself in the adjacent wall. The center examiner frowns, believing his request to not have been at all outrageous. "Please try to halt the bullet, not negate it. Please do not reflect or deflect the bullet, either."

Why don't YOU try it, then, jackass?! As much as Zayne wanted to say what he was thinking, he didn't have time, as the center examiner readied another bullet. Focus...halt...like it's hitting a solid wall, right...? Zayne quickly adopts a strong stance, putting both arms up and flexing them tightly. As the third bullet fires, it makes contact with the barrier and finally seems to stop dead in its tracks, but not before shattering the second barrier. As soon as it does, Zayne suddenly feels winded, like he had just run a marathon. While the two male examiners take notes, the female examiner walks over to the bullet and picks it up, examining it, then places it in a small bag and returns to the table, where she mutters with the other two examiners. As Zayne catches his breath, unsure of what to do next, the center examiner speaks up, "Please return to holding the dumbbells."

Dumbbells? "Don't you want me to do the deadlift again?"

"There's no need. Your upper limit has already been determined, we must now determine your second Ability Boost's duration."

Zayne stares at the man, confused, but as he grabs the dumbbells and resumes his standing position, the right examiner explains, "Ability Boosters typically see diminishing returns after each Barrier they make. We simply need to determine if this is true for your powers as well."

Zayne nods in partial understanding. An awkward silence fills the room, but after only a couple minutes Zayne feels the familiar sensation of his strength boost fading and he drops the dumbbells. Even he could tell that it was significantly shorter, but without a watch he couldn't tell exactly how much shorter. As the examiners write down yet more notes, the center examiner gestures to the chair in front of them. "Please have a seat. We'll resume once your next Barrier is ready."

At this, Zayne tilts his head in confusion. "What do you mean? I can make one right now." Zayne immediately heads back to the platform, but the female examiner stands up to stop him.

"No, Zayne, you need to wait. Didn't the Commonwealth agents we sent to the Hospital explain the nature of your powers to you?"

Zayne stops, getting frustrated. "No, they said the doc would tell me, and the doc said I can create Barriers."

The female examiner mutters something under her breath, then gestures to the open seat before speaking. "Zayne, we've explained your Ability Boost, but weren't you curious at all about the "M-Class" part of your Barrier Ability?"

As Zayne sits down, he pauses for a minute, then shrugs. "Didn't think much of it. I'm what, a Medium-powered Super?"

The female examiner chuckles slightly, then shakes her head. "No, the M stands for Multi. For Biofield Generating Supers there are 3 main Classes: your Class, M; S, for Single; and O, for Omni. S-Classes can only make a single biofield whose health is linked directly to their Energy. The classification is also kind of incorrect, as they can withdraw and reform their biofield as many times as necessary. M-Classes, like yourself, use a portion of their Energy to build biofields with a set amount of health to them. As such, they are limited in how many biofields they can make in a single sitting. O-Classes are capable of making all manner of biofields, ones with set health or whose health is tied to their Energy, and can often make multiple biofields at once, too. Another facet of M-Class is that they often need to wait a brief period of time between each biofield before making a new one, or else they suffer a significant strain. Do you still feel winded from the last Barrier, Zayne?"

Zayne had been slowly taking everything in, but as soon as she posed the question to him, Zayne reflexively placed a hand on his chest, indeed still feeling a bit exhausted, but only now wondering why. The right examiner fiddles with his tablet, then turns it to Zayne, showing a series of elevated vital signs. "Your report shows that, during the fire, after your third Barrier broke down, you passed out. After your second Barrier broke down here, your vital signs rose sharply. You seem to be able to forcefully create your subsequent Barriers, but upon their breaking you suffer the aforementioned strain. For your sake and the sake of our testing, we'd like to see how long you need before making a new Barrier."

Zayne nods, then sits down, taking a few deep breaths to relax his still rapidly-beating heart. As the minutes pass, Zayne tries to activate his Barrier naturally, but it takes almost ten full minutes before he finds the ability to do so without needing to force it. Once his third - and apparently final - Barrier is produced, the center examiner presses another call button, and a new Commonwealth agent enters the room. He waves in greeting to Zayne, who hesitantly waves back before walking instinctively to the platform. The agent then walks over to the examiners and as a brief chat with them before walking to the middle of the room, rolling his shoulders as he does so. "Your next task will be to have a sparring match with Mr. Zayir with your Barrier activated. Please follow his instructions for the remainder of this test."

Mr. Zayir nods to the center examiner, then gestures for Zayne to come to him. "Don't worry, kid, we're just gonna get a feel for how your "Barrier" works against humans. Let's start with the most important one, try to negate my attack."

Mr. Zayir moves into a combat stance, one Zayne loosely recognized before following suit. Before Mr. Zayir could proceed, however, a lightbulb flashes in Zayne's head and he immediately retracts his Barrier, raising his arms in protest. "Abuhgubuh!"

Mr. Zayir pauses, and Zayne's face gains a mild red tint to it before he shakes his head to right his thoughts. "Sorry, you want me to NEGATE your attacks?! B-but, everything I've negated thus far..."

Mr. Zayir smiles and nods. "Yeah, they mentioned that. Like I said, don't worry. I'm a Regenerator. If your Barrier does Negate my attack, I'll be able to grow it back. Trust me, kid, I've worked here long enough that I'm used to it."

Zayne groans, increasingly hesitant, but expands his barrier outward again and puts his guard up, focusing all he can on negating whatever Mr. Zayir tries to do, and not on what the possible aftermath will look like. With a nod, Mr. Zayir runs forward and fires a single thrusting punch. However, unlike everything else that Zayne's Barriers have been put up against, as Mr. Zayir's fist makes contact with the Barrier, it contorts strangely, absorbing much of the blow, before simply allowing the fist to enter, looking very much like a soap bubble with an object sticking through it. A bit surprised, Mr. Zayir retracts his fist from the Barrier with little effort, then tries again. Punch after punch sees the same result, the bulk of the attack being absorbed by the barrier, but ultimately piercing through. After a few strikes, Mr. Zayir cocks his head at Zayne. "Are you sure you're trying to negate my attacks?"

Zayne nods, incredibly confused. With every attack, he concentrated more and more on negation, focusing on what his barrier did every other time it negated a projectile. Mr. Zayir scratches his chin in thought, then takes a few steps back. "Well, keep trying. I've got a hunch about something."

Without warning, Mr. Zayir leaps into the air in a flying kick, aimed not just at the barrier, but at Zayne himself. Panicked, Zayne doesn't know what to do, his focus broken. In a flash, Mr. Zayir's body pushes up against the Barrier, then passes through it, moving at a slower pace, but still on track to hit Zayne. Relying less on his mind and more on his instinct as a newly-christened Black Belt, Zayne pushes Mr. Zayir's kick aside, then grabs him by the collar, set to pin him on the ground. Mr. Zayir doesn't fight it, quickly tapping out as soon as he's pinned. Zayne snaps back almost immediately, removing his grip from Mr. Zayir and backing away. "I'm so sorry, are you alright?"

Mr. Zayir stands up and lets out a quick cough before smiling. "Yeah, I'm good, martial arts training? Not bad. I've trained in a few styles myself over the years."

Zayne's eyes light up at meeting a fellow martial artist, but before he can inquire further, the center examiner clears his throat, their note-taking completed. "Thank you, Mr. Zayir. I think we have everything we need."

Mr. Zayir nods, gives Zayne a casual salute farewell, then exits the room. The center examiner gestures for Zayne, who retracts his final barrier and sits in the provided chair. The three examiners take a moment to whisper among themselves before addressing Zayne. "Mr. Richards, after a comprehensive testing, we have elected to give your powers a B-Ranking. You will be issued a Level 2 Limiter before leaving this Agency, and you will be assigned to Aegis Facility 108 immediately to undergo necessary training."

While Zayne listened halfheartedly to the first half of the center examiner's mechanic speech, his ears stopped on the last bit. "Facility 108? Training?! Immediately?!?! I thought I just had to be tested!"

"Your testing was to be done here. All possessors of the A6G23 gene must undergo superpower training at the closest available Aegis Facility. Your training will be held in Aegis Facility 108 in Baltimore."

Zayne immediately stands from his chair, pushing it to the ground. BALTIMORE?! "But that's, like, a 4 hour drive from my home?!"

"We can provide you with temporary living quarters for the duration of your time in Aegis."

"B-but...school...my job..."

"Our records show you are close to having the necessary credits for graduation. In addition to living arrangements, we can assign you a tutor to allow you to earn the remaining credits. You will be able to receive a diploma from your current school, but you will most likely be unable to attend the graduation ceremony. As far as your part-time employment, a Commonwealth agent has already been sent to your place of work to issue your leave of absence."

"But...but what if I don't want to be a superhero?! Can't I just keep the Limiter on for the rest of my life?!"

"Zayne, every superpowered person has to take the training program; it's the law. You're free to keep your Limiter on all you want after you've graduated from the program, but failure to attend the training program will result in disciplinary action."

Zayne clenches his fist, his mind racing. With a loud roar, he slams both fists on the table. "That's not fucking fair! I didn't want these powers! I was happy being normal! Why the hell do you guys get to just up and screw with my life like this?!"

Suddenly, a voice rings through the intercom. "That's enough, Zayne!"

Zayne tenses up as he looks around for the source of the voice. Off to the side, one of the walls reveals a hidden room, with his family watching. His mom, firmly grasping the intercom mic, stares daggers at him. "Mom?! Dad?! You guys were here this whole time?!"

"It's customary for parents to witness their child's testing if they so desire it."

The center examiner presses yet another button on the table, causing a sliding door to appear near the two-way mirror. Zayne's parents enter the room, where Zayne's mom immediately embraces him. "Of course we were here, we wanted to see for ourselves what our son can do."

"And we couldn't be prouder. Zayne, you might not want these powers now, but they were given to you for a reason. You saved your little brother, as well as the Menendez's and the Smiths. I think I speak for both your Mother and myself when I say you'd make a fine superhero."

Zayne's mother nods, then grabs him by the shoulders and stares him down, eye-to-eye. "Go to Aegis, train hard. We'll support whatever decision you make when you return. And don't worry about your job; I guarantee it'll be there, or Jonathan will be hearing from me."

Zayne chuckles a bit, knowing his mom to be speaking the truth. With a shrug, Zayne resigns himself. I obviously don't have a choice in the matter, so I may as well make the most of it. Zayne spends the rest of the morning filling out paperwork at the Commonwealth Agency. Once everything is in order and he obtains his Limiter, he returns to the Hotel with his parents to prepare for this new, uncertain, possibly dangerous chapter to his life.

NOOOOOO! - Jeremiah Johnson
Placement: After Shhh!
(Consider this a sort of sequel)​
The park breathed spring. The trees had begun to get a bit of life on them. Birds were chirping as they flew back from their vacations. Many people walked around with light jackets. A major change from the heavy coats that winter had spawned. For the most part the park remained fairly quiet. People walked through, enjoying the scenery that had begun to paint itself. A couple embraced each other on a bench. This made the old lady sitting next to them uncomfortable, and she stood up to return back home from her outing. Most everyone here was for pleasure. Apart from one person.

Jeremiah sat at a bench near the center of the park. He was sitting on the rightmost spot he could. In his hands he held a small ordinary grey jar. The look on his face was fairly plain. Hidden. It's purpose was to not give away any kind of emotion. This was slightly betrayed by a flicker of a tear collecting in his right eye. He wiped it away before it could collect any friends and cleared his throat.

After a minute of waiting Jeremiah heard his footsteps approaching, Of course he would make me wait. The man dressed in a long black coat sat down on the opposite side of the bench from Jeremiah. He shuffled awkwardly while sitting on the bench. The older man's graying blonde hair shaking slightly as he found a comfortable way to sit down. Without looking up Jeremiah could tell that the man was looking over at him. Jeremiah refused to address him at first, but after a few seconds he moved his head over to look at the man.

Both sets of eyes widened. They were both surprised at the age seen in the other's gaze. Jeremiah's hard gaze forced the man to look away before he spoke, "You've... you've aged a lot." The man fell into silence after that comment, unsure what to say next. Jeremiah sighed as he realized he would have to spur on the conversation,

"Yeah. Tends to happen when you're missing for more than half of somebody's life." Jeremiah knew that his tone would take them nowhere, but he had years of aggression pent up. It wasn't just going to stay bottled up as he sat so close to the one person who had caused so much misery for him.

Jeremiah's father looked struck by the blow, but he knew better than to argue about what he had done. Another awkward pause settled over the two, neither knowing what to say next. Jeremiah's father cleared his throat, "So... that's her then," He pointed at the jar held in Jeremiah's hands. Jeremiah nodded his head, not saying a word in response, "She... she wanted to be buried you know."

"Not sure you have much knowledge over what she would have wanted-"

Jeremiah was interrupted before he could finish his sentence, "You can't say that! I knew her for years before you did!" The man had his fists clenched in anger. His face was contorted angrily before a look passed over his face and he settled into calmness. A sigh escaped his lips, "I'm sure that you didn't just call me to get me angry. You wouldn't have gone through all that trouble just for that. If your reason was that you wanted me to help decide what happened to her body you would have waited a bit long-"

"I wasn't going to wait any longer! If you couldn't see this as a big enough deal to come as soon as you could make time then, then... forget it. I wanted to see if you had anything to say to her, but this was a mistake." Jeremiah stood up from where he was sitting, his back already facing his father. Before he could take as much as a step he felt a hand cling onto his arm.

"Look I... I know what I did was horrible. You have every right to be as angry at me as you are. But I want to start being better. I want to be a good father. Just give me the chance to be that person. You can come down to where I live in Florida now. There's facilities there who can help with your condition you have now, and you can come live with me and my family. We'll be able to help you out." Jeremiah shook the arm out of his held grasp, disgust creeping over his face as he turned back to face his father.

"It's not a 'condition'! It's my power! How can you say it like it's something that needs to be treated? How were you so easily able to just 'get' another family? Did you deliberately try and forget everything about my mother and I? And for what!? What reason did you have for leaving us?"

Jeremiah felt tears flowing down his face, letting him know that he had already spoken to his father for too long. He closed his eyes, scrunching them together tightly, "I don't want to see you again. Please don't ever try and speak to me. I, I..." Jeremiah sighed, not sure what else to say. Before he turned around his father said one last thing to him.

"I understand that you're going through a lot of grief. Just please try and take what help I can give. Call this man," He fished a card out from his wallet and placed it in Jeremiah's hand, "He'll help you get onto my insurance plan. I hope you'll use it at some point to seek out the treatment you should get." With that said his father stepped away from Jeremiah and began walking back in the direction he had come from. Jeremiah stared down at the card held in his hand. The thought of using it was repulsive. Yet he knew that with his current income it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep the card. Stuffing the card into his pocket, Jeremiah walked out of the park and toward his room near the facility.

Anise (because I feel like writing for her) - Kafka
Anise hated a lot of things.

That's not to say she was a hateful person though. There were more things she loved than hated, and she found it better to focus on them in general. She didn't go out of her way to complain or insult anyone or thing unless she felt it was necessary. So many people just did whatever they felt like without thinking about it, even when it ended up hurting them in the end. Anise was not one of those people, and she didn't understand why they were like that.

But this bullshit? Oh no, she hated this.

She thought that discovering her powers would be a blessing, and for the most part they were. Sure they had to move to a house that hadn't blown up now, but it would be missing the point to focus on just that! She was already a genius, and this just made her even more special and powerful!

Though it didn't seem that way. The last week had been filled to the brim with meetings with government officials who talked with her parents about her like she wasn't even in the room. It was all about her though, but they wouldn't let her decide anything for herself. They obviously only cared about what her parents thought. Anise hated this. The limiter fitting was slightly better since the representatives were willing to work with HER to help make something that SHE wanted. But it was still a reminded that she just wasn't trusted at all. It was a very uneasy feeling, like the silver lining in some overarching discrimination. She knew the people trying to outfit her only meant well, it was just their job and they actually valued HER opinion, but it still all felt so gross.

She had seen all the stress this was putting on her parents. They had tried to hide it, making it look like everything was fine and that they were so proud of her, but Anise knew better. She could tell when they were upset or stressed. She could read them like a book, and they knew it. All Anise wished was that she could be allowed to help them with the problems that she was causing. But for some reason this system asked them to deal with all of her problems. Anise found this infuriating. She knew she could help them! She KNEW that she'd be able to dolve this! BUT THIS SYSTEM WASN'T EVEN GOING TO GIVE HER A CHANCE!!!!

The last thing they needed to sort out was her transfer to a facility. They decided on 108 since it was the closest location. The timing fit too since they were just about to hold their final exam. Anise was excited to see other people like her up close. She had met others who had powers before, but not frequently and mostly before she developed her own. So this was going to be a nice opportunity for her. But something came up and the family had to miss seeing the exam. Anise was pretty disappointed about that...

But then she heard about the terrorist attack.

All that disappointment turned into a sense of crippling disempowerment. Nobody and nothing was giving her a chance. Not those officials, not her parents, and apparently not even fate. If she was there she could have helped them! If she had been there then maybe she could have saved some of them. Maybe she could have prevented the attack!

And she had never even been given the chance.

Anise hated a lot of things.

That's not to say she was a hateful person though. There were more things she loved than hated, and she found it better to focus on them in general. However situation like this made it hard for her to focus on them. These sorts of things prevented her from seeing any silver lining and anchored her in the possibilities of what could have been. Anise detested being patronized. She hated being babied. And that was all that this incompetent system was doing to her.

And so she decided that if the world was wrong, she would just have to prove to it that it was wrong.

Content warning: Gross.

“He’s coding!”

The old man on the hospital bed began to convulse as doctors rushed to his side and began treatment. The heart rate monitor beeped frenetically, gradually faster, and stopped.

“Serve me.” it said. “Kill.”

“... What the fuck?” one of the doctors stared at it, shook it. Still it chanted. He unplugged the machine from the wall.

“Serve me. Kill.” It continued, echoed by the television in the room, by the doctors’ phones, by the computers outside in the lobby. A few of them stared dumbstruck.

“What the hell is going on?” Nurses and orderlies rushed by outside, just as confused.

Then the old man threw himself onto one doctor’s back, and began slamming his frail wrists onto his head. “Serve… kill.” he rasped.

“Ow!” The doctor bent down and flung the old man back onto his bed. “Dammit!” He turned, and saw the old man’s face was covered in blood. Bits of flesh shown in his teeth as he hissed.

“Serve…”

The doctor felt arms clamp around his legs. The bodies of two of his fellow doctors were at his feet, air whistling through the tooth-marks in their open throats as they moaned "Serve... Kill..."

The old man pounced again, and stuck his thumbs into the doctor's frontal lobe.

Hospitals fell first, followed by slums. Then the blocks surrounding them.

Militaries were mobilized. Supers as well. But it proved to be too little.

Cities fell.

All across the globe, the dead rose, and killed. They were, after all, born to serve.

And soon, across the world, almost no one was left.

But then, there was Baltimore.

Last edited:
“Dude, I'm telling you! Alcohol doesn't conduct electricity. You'll be fine!”
But Danny, isn't there water mixed into the alcohol? It's a solution of alcohol and water, right?”
“Nah, not this bottle. Pure Russian vodka right here. C'mon man. You make it through something like that, you gotta celebrate, or you might as well have died. Drink up.”
Lucas stares at the tiny glass of clear liquid. He tilts it slightly until a tiny drop trickles out onto his thumb. He grimaces, expecting the familiar burn of water carrying away the electrons that comprise his skin, but feels nothing.
No, not nothing. It feels... wet? He switches the glass to his other hand and stares dumbly at his thumb. Rubbing his forefinger across the strange glistening patch, he smiles, then laughs.
“This shit is so weird! It's like... I dunno, imagine lighting yourself on fire and then finding out it didn't hurt? There's like... just the hint of a tingle to it?”
“Fine. Call me Mr. Wizard. Now fucking knock it back already!”
His instincts still warn him against this, but he puts the glass to his lips and, as he has seen in movies, tilts his head back fast, letting the vodka slip down his throat. There is a moment when he wonders if there will be any effect at all, then he thinks maybe it is burning him after all. His throat feels tight and hot. But then the heat slides down into his belly and blossoms into a warm and pleasant feeling. He opens his eyes, not realizing he had closed them, and smiles at his friend. He slaps the glass down on the table between them.
“Another!”
“THERE it is!”
After his third he begins to feel giggly. After four he starts to get dizzy and sleepy.
After five... there is a gap.
Lucas awakens face down, feeling uncomfortably hot. His tongue is dry and sandpapery. In fact he feels as if his whole body is dry and sandpapery. He lifts his head and squints at the blazing sun overhead. As a reward his skull squeezes his brain in its merciless vice like grip and he takes it gently in both hands, praying for a quick death. Shading his eyes he looks around. Sand dunes spread before him to the horizon.

“Sac-a-papier!”

The largish metal slab floated silently down out of the sky. When it had almost reached the ground, it halted, hovering. This was precisely the sort of blatant defiance of nature to which residents of Edgemere, Dundalk, Essex and the rest of suburbia around Sparrow's Point had grown accustomed. The bluish-green young woman covered in fine scales standing on the slab was new, but hardly cause for comment. If anyone had looked up though, they might have noticed that she looked sad.

It would be hard to put one's finger on what exactly gave it away. Her features were alien enough that they should have been impossibly inscrutable. Perhaps it was the way her shoulders slumped as she leaned down to pick up the ratty cardboard box at her feet. Maybe it could be read in the tilt of her head as she looked back at the grizzled old man accompanying her, or the slow, resigned way she turned from him and stepped off of the slab onto the dusty gray asphalt.

"Hey kid?"

"Yes, Sensei?"

"... ....look. This is for the best. You think you're not ready to be on your own, and you're probably right. But you gotta start somewhere. I'll still train with you, but I can't have a pet. And Chernov? She'd be even worse for you to be around than me. Which takes some doing. Make your own mistakes, kid. There's no other way."

The girl said nothing, just slumped a little more into herself, hugging the box of her things a little tighter to her chest. When she looked around, the slab and its owner were gone. She turned back to look at her new home. Number 112 Cherry Lane. An ugly squat brick building. Six separate entrances with little white sheds built between them to separate the yard, such as it was, into little tiny territories. She put the box down next to the little shed, in the sparse grass mixed with flecks of peeling paint. She rummaged in the box for her key and opened her front door.

It was a tight space, but that was good. She wouldn't have known what to do with a spacious place, having grown up on a boat. There was a little kitchenette, a couch and a coffee table. Past the couch was a doorway, half hidden by a curtain. Probably the bathroom. She grimaced. Living on land sucked.

She was about to go back for her box when she noticed an odd sound coming from the bathroom, like water lapping against tile. Worried that the pipes might have broken, she burst through the curtain, and almost fell into the water in surprise.

The floor had been removed. Excavated in fact. And tiled. And filled with briny, muddy water.

Instead of a bathroom, she'd been given a water lock that led straight out to Bear Creek.

Unable to speak, she stood and stared for a long while, both hands covering her mouth and trembling with emotion.

"Maybe," she thought, "this will be ok."

Moving Day 1/12/34

Stuart stood in the door of the now empty apartment, feeling about two inches tall. He even checked his reflection in the window, just to make sure that he wasn't. Catching sight of Tasha behind him, he moved aside to let her through. “Sorry, boss.”
Tasha didn't say anything at first. After a moment, utterly unexpectedly, she swept him up into a hug. Gruff, tough, hard-butt boss lady. Hugging. He almost shrank instantaneously from the shock of it.

“Don't cry, Stu. Everything will be ok. You know I can guarantee that, right? Kinda my thing.”
Stuart knitted his brow, started to say, “but I'm not crying, boss..” but then, suddenly, he was. The tears were falling freely and he didn't even know what he was saying anymore. He wasn't even sure if the noises he was making were words. But she seemed to understand, and like always, knew exactly the right things to say.
“Oh, Stu. Shh. Hush now. We've graduated! You are literally a card carrying super hero now. Be brave, Stu! We've fought super-villains together! You can face moving day, can't you?”

Ollie came bounding up the stairs, just as Stuart was starting to pull it together, singing tunelessly “Hey-hey-hey, it's moving day, and we're stepping out... in a major way. Gonna take the leap and make the play... Woah! What's goin on?”

Tasha favored him with her patented 'You. Are. An. Idiot.' look. “Stuart is upset again.”

“Whaat?! Stewie-boy, say it ain't so! We talked about this. You and me and Doris are going all the way to New York, buddy boy! We got offers from the East coast chapters of the Guardians, the Champions, and Commonwealth Crisis Response! Baltimore ain't got nothing on New York Stewie, nothing! Don't be sad! Be excited! Like me!

Stewart's sobs were winding down to sniffles, but Tasha continued to hold him, staring daggers at Ollie all the while. Oblivious as always to anything more subtle than a direct order, Ollie had begun to dance around the echoey empty room that had been their common area. As a bonus, he started singing again, belting out New York, New York in his best Frank Sinatra impression, which was terrible enough for Tasha to begin to contemplate the short term benefits of homicide. Then she relaxed, sighing in relief. Doris' world-line was about to pass through the room with a 98% probability of taking Ollie's along.

There was a sound of a toilet flushing.

The door at the back of the common area opened, and Doris emerged, earbuds in and fiddling with her phone. Realizing she was not alone, she took in the situation at a glance. Ollie's energy, Stu's red rimmed eyes and T's pleading look. She popped out her earbuds and gave them a flick, somehow spiraling them neatly around her phone in a single fluid motion. Just as neatly, she took the would be crooner by the elbow and guided him to the window. “Hey, Oliver let's do lunch! Race you to the Taco Bell! Loser treats!”

Suddenly all business, he dove out the window, summersaulted, and bounced off a translucent barrier, aiming for the roof of the next apartment building. Halfway there, he abruptly changed direction and zooms upward and back. Faintly he can be heard shrieking in a doppler shifted wail

“Thaaaaaat's cheeeaaaattinnng!”

There was a heavy thump from overhead. Stuart giggled in spite of himself.

“Thanks for the re-direct, Doris.”

“You owe me, T. At least enough for three combos from the bell, 'cause there's no way I get there first, and no way he eats less than that after exerting himself.”

“I'm good for it. We'll join you shortly.”

Finally letting go of Stuart, she takes him outside and sits him down on the steps. He does better in the sunshine, and the steps seem a lot less lonely than the empty apartment. They sat for long enough that she thought at first he had forgotten what they were talking about. When he finally spoke though, he said very seriously and earnestly,

“I just wish you would come with us. Eddie too. We make a good team. And I don't like change. Moving is bad enough. It would be easier for me if we stayed together. Why can't you come?”

“You know why Eddie can't come, Stu. He's already contracted to Fenrir Robotics, and it is everything he's ever wanted. Fighting crime was only ever a hobby for him. For me too, come to that. I want to see if I can develop my gift for more than just tactical advantage in a fight. Dr. Garbo thinks he can help me with that. You can understand that can't you Stu? We all want to make a difference. I feel this is my path. And my hunches are good.”

“Yeah. I guess. I'll miss you shouting them at me though. My hunches are bad, mostly. I liked borrowing yours.”

She had a brief premonition, then. Nothing specific. Nothing actionable. Just... a bad feeling. She shook it off. Even precogs were subject to ordinary human paranoia. Years later, she would come to wonder if things could have been different if she had listened to the bad feeling.

“Just stick close to Dorris and Ollie, Stu. They'll take good care of you. Speaking of which, shall we join them for lunch?”

He smiled.

“Whatever you say boss!”

Writing Prompt, July 1-7 (2016)

Leika Míms synir, en mjötuðr kyndisk
Mím's sons are at play, but fate then awakens
at inu galla Gjallarhorni;
the Gjallarhorn, ancient, cracked and grim
hátt blæss Heimdallr, horn er á lofti,
Heimdall blows loudly, the horn held aloft
mælir Óðinn við Míms höfuð.
Odin would hear his last counsel from Mím.

Skelfr Yggdrasils askr standandi,
Still standing, the ash known as Yggdrasil trembles
ymr it aldna tré, en jötunn losnar;
the tree is old, and the giants released
hræðask allir á helvegum
quickly, they run down the road into Hel
áðr Surtar þann sefi of gleypir.
before Surtar swallows up Mím as he sleeps

Hvat er með ásum? Hva er með alfum?
What of the Aesir? What of the elves?
Gnýr allr Jötunheimr, æsir ro á þingi,
Giants groan, and the gods make their plan
stynja dvergar fyr steindurum,
At the stone wall, the Dwarves give a shout
veggbergs vísir. Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?
they know what is coming. Do you understand?

Geyr nú Garmr mjök fyr Gnipahelli,
Garm howls loud before Gnipahelli
festr mun slitna en Freki renna;
Freki slips out of his leash to run free
fjölð veit ek fræða, fram sé ek lengra
all this and more I know, and can tell you
um ragna rök römm sigtíva.
all this of Ragnarok I can see.

Hrymr ekr austan, hefisk lind fyrir,
From the east comes Hrym, with his lindenwood shield
snýsk Jörmungandr í jötunmóði;
Jörmungandr wrathfully flails
ormr knýr unnir, en ari hlakkar,
he slithers through waves, beneath a grey eagle
slítr nái niðfölr, Naglfar losnar
which screams, as the grisly ship Naglfar sails...​

He awoke to the rooster's crow. A warning call. He knew all that it implied.

Grinning, he donned his armor, his helmet, his axe and shield. At long last, the day had come. The final battle, which everyone was fated to lose. He couldn't wait to find out how he would be defeated.

With his fellow warriors, he stood ready when the horn sounded. The Gjallarhorn. Its sound surpassed his most outlandish expectations. It sent a shiver up and down his spine, resonated deep in his bowels and caused his eyes to sting in awe. At the sound, the armies advanced.

He saw the burning ship with the armies of Muspellheim. He saw Loki standing at its helm, one foot on the gunwale and one hand clutching a forestay. He smirked, though his eyes were still red and raw from the serpent's venom.

He saw Surtr, crashing through the forest. Trees, even frosted with snow, ignited within a mile of the fire giant, and his sword was truly as it was written: every inch as bright as the sun.

Then he saw Odin, and his heart began to sink. For there was Odin, there was Thor and Heimdall, there were the armies of the einherjar... and he was not among them.

He looked about. He stood on a ship, made all from disembodied nails, pulled from dead fingers and toes. The warriors on all sides of him were not honored dead, but draugr. And so was he.

He watched, helplessly, as Odin aimed his spear, as it shattered on the hide of the dread wolf Fenrir, as salivating jaws closed around the Allfather. He wept and wailed, for his fate as well as Odin's.

And, waking, he wept and wailed still in the white walls.

All a dream. But, he thought to himself, if he could not escape the white walls, it was not just a dream. It was a portent. A prophecy.

Last edited:
Last Rites, part 1

Paul slid the freezer drawer closed and latched it. Weird fucking day, even for Baltimore's busiest morgue. Proximity to facility 108 made sure they caught more than their share of weird cases, but this was over the top. Three crispy critters and five hypothermic shock victims with stage 4 frost bite, all from the same casino. One more apparently poisoned, but not by any known toxin. Four helicopter crashes, six variously mangled prison guards, and two John Does shot in the forehead at point blank range by the same handgun in a maintenance room of the harbor tunnel. And then there were the beheadings. One with a sword, one with an axe. Hard to say which was weirder! Sword girl was a confirmed second timer, having previously visited the morgue with a fatal aneurism. So that was definitely a contender for creepiest thing ever. But then there was this guy: Massive scar tissue head to toe. Braided beard. Twelfth century looking iron helmet with the head still in. Round buckler type shield accessory, still attached to arm. And then there were the eyes. Bright electric blue and sparkling. Not just blankly staring, but... watchful? Like they were looking right at you and sizing you up. Christ that was creepy! Any other day, repeat customer girl would take the prize for sure. Today though? Hard to say.

Something was tapping. Paul jumped a little, glancing reflexively at the drawer. Somehow though, he didn't imagine helmet head dude would just be tapping. He looked around, eventually spotting the raven perched outside the one tiny basement window, head cocked, peering at him with one dark eye. As he watched, it swiveled its head and tapped the window again. Annoyed, he half jumped forward, waving his arms, “G'wan! Shoo!”

The large black bird swiveled its head again, eyeing him from the other side. “Woah!” it said, and then flapped away in a desultory fashion.

Paul watched the window a moment more before picking up his coffee from the side shelf. He turned to go back to his desk, and almost ran into the old man waiting quietly behind him.

“Holy fucking Christ!” He nearly jumped out of his skin, spilling his coffee all over himself. It wasn't even lukewarm anymore.

The old man peered at him sidelong from under the brim of a wide, shady leather hat. "Guess again," he said with a humorless laugh.

"I'm here for what's mine. Best if you sleep now."

He made a small gesture in the air and Paul collapsed in a heap in the puddle of his coffee. When he woke, the morgue was quiet and dark. When he sat up the lights came back on automatically.

He was alone. And damp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back