Chitchat thread no longer active

Here's a couple of good writing prompt generator web sites.

I wish I knew how to find motivation, I wouldn't be on constant rp hiatus then XD

Sometimes I do quick one-liner rp with my friend mid-conversation and it actually stimulates to write more.

Or just discussing ideas. It gets so fun sometimes that you're itching to write.

Sometimes good old forcing yourself to write works wonders. When you start, it's hard at first but then you go with the flow.

I read a nice writing exercise somewhere. Start writing, write completely random sentences. Can be not even relevant to the rp/story you want to write. And then it suddenly becomes easier to write what you want.
I tried it and it worked for me. Not 100% of the time, but good enough.

That seems interesting 👀 but totally random sentences? Like "I like my dog", "Yesterday Nathan went to the beach"? Totally random and unrelated?
Yeah, it's just an exercise, you're not supposed to end up with coherent written piece. The point is just to get into the writing mood. What you write doesn't matter as long as you write. And at some point you'll feel you can move on to what you actually want to write.

I remember in school, in my creative writing class, sometimes the teacher would give us a set time limit, and instruct us to write anything and everything that comes to mind in that period of time. Just totally word vomit onto the page and see what comes of it. Every now and then I'd get something pretty interesting that I could work with, but even then, it's a great idea if you want to spark something or just write to write.

Other than that, I follow an account called Writing Prompts on Instagram and they have some great prompts on there. I've yet to actually run with any of the ideas but I may go peruse them soon and see what I can come up with.

oh I actually used some of those prompts to start up a rp. It was just a little something that we were able to build upon until the prompt became barely recognizable XD

If I'm struggling and realize that I am (particularly if I'm bored of what my character is doing or if this is the third fourth etc post in a scene that I've struggled with) it's time to turn something on its head. Have your character totally misunderstand someone else's dialogue, get your character up and moving and doing something (maybe they're bored too!), destroy something ('accidents' happen), have someone unexpected turn up, have something turn out badly (smoking ruin instead of delicious muffins)... I'm sure there are more that I've used but the 'huh, what?' tactic and getting my character up and moving have helped more than once.

That's actually quite fun wat to go about it. As long as it doesn't feel total out of character and breaking the plot XD

Deadlines tend to be a good motivator for me. XD I work as a corporate writer so we do get deadlines and quotas. It's also hard to produce constant pieces of content every day so I still get burnt out.

When I get stuck in a rut, I usually just push myself to finish an article or something even if it's unpolished. Save it as a draft first and then take a nap. Like a 15-30 minute nap. Then that's when I begin checking and rewriting. It allows me to look at the original work with somewhat fresh eyes.

Another is during revisions. I don't highlight sections to revise in a paragraph. I rewrite the whole thing while keeping the old one as reference. I find it helpful and I often get content that I think is much better than the initial draft. I've used both techniques when writing character sheets as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back