Literature Writers

MurderOfCrows

But the YoYo Master just kept yo-ing!
Mostly started this to gather some writers together to receive and give some advice. One of my biggest problems is coming up with story ideas and worldbuilding, but not actually writing a story.

If you have any concerns for your writing or stories, perhaps I or others could help ya out.

Some questions if you're jazzed enough to answer:

What topics or themes recurr in your writing (or what would you like to cover in your stories)?

Would you want your story and characters be adapted into another medium (cartoon, movie, comic, etc)?

What do you need to improve?

What authors do you draw your inspiration from?

Who's your favorite character (that you created)?

Just chiming in here since I am an amateur author on RoyalRoad and wanted to say hi!

As for your problems, world building is an iffy subject in my experience and the best way to describe good mechanics of it is to be detailed, but not in a way that is overly obvious. This is easier to do in first person, but third person isn't much harder. That is my take on it at least.

My issue is that I always have these idea running around in my head, with no thought as to how to connect them all, but I mostly struggle with forming them into a readable context.
Also, once I have started writing and have something good going, I'm terrible at ending stories. I'm never satisfied with how I end things - I'm maybe too nice about my endings and need to be a little harsher, given the plot of some of the stories I've written. Not that anyone ever gets to read 'em xD

That is actually an easier issue to address I think, Otter. Storyboarding is a simple way to flesh out a plot line. If you already know the key events of your book, write them out in order with space before and between them. After that it is a fill in the timeline on how the characters went about achieving those key points. When broken down to smaller plot points it becomes a lot easier and can even help highlight the flow of the story.

PanOtterPus PanOtterPus It also might be in your best interest to find a Beta Reader, editor, or another author to read through your ideas and help you structure your writing in readable format. You could also consider getting a co author to write with you. I have a story going that'd be a lot worse for wears without my author partner working alongside me.

My only issue with writing is the very beginning. I write a lot of fantasy, based on detailed world building. Because of this, it's hard to figure out a good hook that doesn't leave readers confused. I'll get the hang of it eventually, as I'm reading a lot of lesser known but great fantasy novels.

One of my issues is trying to create stuff for the middle of a story. If y'all have no idea what I'm typing about, y'know those graphic organizers that you use to plan out stories in ELA? Well, I always get stuck in the middle. Like, how am I supposed to connect the cookies together without the filling in a Oreo?

Another thing is subplots. I really don't want to introduce subplots in, as I believe that they take away from the main focus of a story. However, I do want to try using them, but I'm afraid they'll just come out as pointless.

Oh god, I've been writing on a book for years now, and my number one issue is attention span. I get easily distracted and it's horrible. I also have a hard time finding proof-readers. As in actual proof-readers who knows what to look for and how to phrase their feedback properly and find inconsistencies instead of just the usual "I like it" or "I don't like it".

Mostly started this to gather some writers together to receive and give some advice. One of my biggest problems is coming up with story ideas and worldbuilding, but not actually writing a story.

If you have any concerns for your writing or stories, perhaps I or others could help ya out.

Some questions if you're jazzed enough to answer:

What topics or themes recurr in your writing (or what would you like to cover in your stories)?

Would you want your story and characters be adapted into another medium (cartoon, movie, comic, etc)?

What do you need to improve?

What authors do you draw your inspiration from?

Who's your favorite character (that you created)?
Oh my gosh we're opposites.
I'm great at worldbuilding and coming up with story ideas.
I can come up with great plot points, a.k.a. this will eventually happen and it will be super cool. But then Idk how to write the rest of the story half the time lul.

The topic of sci-fi.

Yeet. Vidya games and cartoons would be slick.

Getting from point A to point B coherently; thinking of the end before writing the start, etc.

Um, nobody, actually. I use pieces of other's writing, but that's it.

My only issue with writing is the very beginning. I write a lot of fantasy, based on detailed world building. Because of this, it's hard to figure out a good hook that doesn't leave readers confused. I'll get the hang of it eventually, as I'm reading a lot of lesser known but great fantasy novels

When I come up with a hook I try to think of something that would catch my attention or that I would find funny. Like "There was one thing you could count on when I died" and followed with "My afterlife was going to be interesting". And then blah blah story.

You could also start with a contrasting statement: "You'd never expect the devil to be as charitable as he is"

Or a quote from someone cool "With great power, comes great responsibility" (I'm not citing this source unless there is truly someone who doesn't know who said it).

For practice you could look through your favorite "couldn't put it down" books and compare/contrast the hooks the authors came up with. I'd also point out you check out writing prompts and write starting from there.

Reading lesser known fantasy novels is great! I'd recommend reading other genres (you'd be a well rounded reader and you could find ideas for your fantasy that might not have struck you at first), but I understand that fantasy is your bread and butter.

Oh god, I've been writing on a book for years now, and my number one issue is attention span. I get easily distracted and it's horrible. I also have a hard time finding proof-readers. As in actual proof-readers who knows what to look for and how to phrase their feedback properly and find inconsistencies instead of just the usual "I like it" or "I don't like it".

Yoooo ok I know some ways to deal with the attention span and get crack a lackin. You could write the main plot above your story and refer back to it when deciding what to do next and when you're getting off track.
Also, try writing when you're off track and then go back and edit the crap out of it. Like don't stop your funky flow, but when it's over show no mercy (and check to see if there's anything usable to recycle).

The proof reader thing is trickier, but if you don't have any writing friends available; I think people here know their stuff. There's also other sites you could hit up and make friends.

I lowkey offer myself as a proof reader (only if you want though) and I'll hook u up with constructive criticism

One of my issues is trying to create stuff for the middle of a story. If y'all have no idea what I'm typing about, y'know those graphic organizers that you use to plan out stories in ELA? Well, I always get stuck in the middle. Like, how am I supposed to connect the cookies together without the filling in a Oreo?

Another thing is subplots. I really don't want to introduce subplots in, as I believe that they take away from the main focus of a story. However, I do want to try using them, but I'm afraid they'll just come out as pointless.

First off, same. What I've been doing to piece that sweet Oreo together is trying to write non stop (Hamilton reference has been achieved), with the beginning and end in my mind. Like I know that it'll start with a peppy protagonist, but by the end I want them to be so messed up they can't smile without crying (example is weird bc I am).

So how do I do that? Well let's say every character they met has bogged them with their problems and that combined with their prophecy has led them to be really emotionally pent up that they seek release in bad places. And whenever they smile they're reminded of the drugs that made them laugh for no reason. > imagination and cause and effect

As for subplots, if you don't want them to distract from the main plot then connect the subplots back to the main one. An example could be in Harry Potter when they find the room of requirement to assemble the DA; which prepares Harry and the gang to fight off the death eaters later and what accelerates Umbridge's grip over Hogwarts. Story happens.

Subplots take a little practice, as does anything in writing, and I encourage you to try them out and get so good at them that they make the entities of writing cry. Then dump them if you still make the decision to leave them out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back