Advice/Help Writer's Block

pfpfpfpf

I been having trouble writing with role plays recently. When I can't think of anything, I get a bit stressed and anxious which makes it hard to focus. Any suggestions of what I can do to help this for me?

Allow yourself a little time to take the pressure off. Focus on something else for a bit. Feed your muse by playing with another creative outlet or indulging in some of your favorite media- books, shows, art, whatever.

Oddly role playing was my only creative outlet. I tried to doodle before but I couldn't think of a thing to draw.

One way to alleviate this is to treat it as a mindset issue. You get stressed when you can't think of anything. Perhaps that's born for the idea that you think that you have to think of something. That in itself is not conducive of a fun environment. It won't be fun for your rp friends and it won't be fun for yourself. So work on disciplining yourself by simply reminding yourself that this was a choice you made and not something you have to do. A few days ago my bud told me to just relax and enjoy good fiction, because I was stressing out about making a post. I felt like I couldn't reproduce the same quality and that it was a lucky one off that I could never reproduce.

After that I took a break for a day or two and just stopped putting so much pressure on myself to write well. Instead I put the pressure on myself to find something fun about what I was doing. To remind myself that I didn't start rping to write well, but rather, I started rp'ing again to imagine epic scenes and share those experiences with others. Who then craft their own scene for me to enjoy as well.

I try another output but I just have a hard time getting started when your mind is in the fog all the time. I have taken breaks from role playing but I end up back where I started. Even one person said to me I should quit role playing so he was no help before.

Well definitely don't quit if you still want to rp. But maybe you should think about why you want to rp. I'm focused on the story and the characters. Some people want to make friends. Others are focused on the fantasy they want to play out. Others, I shit you not, want to rewrite something and do the series justice. Perhaps it's time to take inventory on yourself and explore why you want to play and if making that happen is worth fighting the fog. Which in essence, is yourself. You're fighting yourself to make this happen and have to decide if that fight is worth it.

I wasn't good with creative writing. Once in college I tried to write a story for an animation and it was god awful story. Plus when I wrote essays I had to get assistance from a tutor for my writing.

I've asked professors for help and they slashed my papers with red ink. :lol: I've had people completely ignore me or tell me how mediocre I was(and still am). But that shouldn't be a factor that stops you from rping. If anything, it should motivate you to write something you can be proud of.

Tip 1: When I starting out, I made a sh*t ton of research (and have continued to over the years) in regards to writing. On the topic of writer's block, there's pretty much a consensus: Keep writing. Don't stop, don't get distracted. If you don't know what to write, just write anything and everything that comes to mind. Set aside a fixed time (like 1-2 hours) to always write and do nothing else for that period. Forget about whether you're actually being productive for a bit, just write.

Tip 2: Honestly, in my opinion, the best way to not only fix the issue but also avoid it in the first place is to create good habits. If you're someone who relies on the muse a lot or any form of surge of inspiration or mood, you're going to become dependent on it. It's like a medical drug: There are times when using it is pretty appropriate but you shouldn't rely on it it all time or too much otherwise your body (in this case your mind as well) will have a hard time operating without it after a period.

Tip 3: If you're having trouble with creative, a systematic approach but help. Instead of trying to find a flow and an inspired idea, lower the bar a little and ask yourself "what do I need to include?". If you absolutely can't form better content, then you can at least try to make content off of a checklist.

PS: Also, that overly negative attitude doesn't help either. If you keep thinking negative your mood is gonna drop, and you're also gonna be a pain to try to help. If you're going to shoot down people's suggestions all the time, at least try to thank them first and seriously consider what they are suggesting.

Just challenging when you try to role play to a plot or scenario you never even tried before or know nothing of. For example, someone wanting to do a RP to Game of Thrones and you know nothing of it.

Just challenging when you try to role play to a plot or scenario you never even tried before or know nothing of. For example, someone wanting to do a RP to Game of Thrones and you know nothing of it.
In that case you SHOULDN'T agree to do such an RP. Don't roleplay fandoms you don't know about, don't roleplay things you're not into.

Very true but hard when some won't want to try your ideas. So far I being finding one timers or those who respond when they feel like it.

Very true but hard when some won't want to try your ideas
In those cases you look for someone else. RPN cycles through over 140 people every week. You WILL find someone if you look properly and hard enough.

It's good to be able to compromise, but compromise on details not on topics.

So far I being finding one timers or those who respond when they feel like it.
If you need more consistent responses, you CAN make such a demand. Of course, any demand you make will make it harder to find partners. But sometimes you gotta pick what you reall want bud.

PS: Also, that overly negative attitude doesn't help either. If you keep thinking negative your mood is gonna drop, and you're also gonna be a pain to try to help. If you're going to shoot down people's suggestions all the time, at least try to thank them first and seriously consider what they are suggesting.

Reading, music, watching movies. Take a step back. Focusing too hard will only stress you out more. You shouldn't feel stressed when you write you should feel relaxed that way it comes naturally. Music sets the tone for ideas, making characters, and worlds. If you don't know about a genre or something research is a big help. I see a lot of people giving you advice on here I would try to take it they're just trying to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back