Other Write with a damn pen & paper.

I also find that I type way faster and can get ideas down quickly, but sometimes it's so distracting if you don't turn off grammar and spelling suggestions, sometime I lose ideas because of those features. Love the pc for editing tho that's for sure XD
Haha I agree, I can edit way better on the PC but I get ideas better on pen and paper.

It is a problem :/

Haha I agree, I can edit way better on the PC but I get ideas better on pen and paper.

It is a problem :/
I guess that's part of the whole having a workflow routine and sticking with it. Maybe outlining and creating then heading for the PC, I'm sure there's a good hybrid way of doing both

I hear you, I'm actually extremely heavy handed and it hurts my fingers after a page or two lolol. Good luck if you use that journal!
I have really, really, REALLY small hands and some fingers are double jointed so I hold a pen really weird. Definitely leads to hand pain pretty quickly if I'm not super conscious of it and actively work to be careful xD

Interestingly, when I transitioned from pen and paper and first started writing on a laptop it was like a chorus of angels serenaded me from on high. Nothing better than letting the fingers fly. I write ten times as fast when I can type as opposed to pen and paper. It's nice for warm-ups and planning things though... can't beat a notebook/journal for that.

ashwynne ashwynne reminded of journals in particular when she mentioned having a leather one. I love the journals they sell at Barnes and Noble, those vintage looking ones or something LOTR-ish. I need to get one.
YESSSSS. Mine was from Chapters but it's a similar concept. It definitely has a LOTR feel to it which is so inspiring in and of itself. I was leery to start using it simply because it's so gorgeous that I didn't want to fill it with garbage, but that's a dumb mindset so I'm going to get over myself and start using it properly.

I actually have written poems for years now and have a little collection in a journal. I’ll also write in a journal to help process how I’m feeling most days, getting it out feels nice and it also helps me remember things better when it comes time to discuss with my my therapist.

As cheesy as it seems, I also write my partner love letters around our home or in their car too. It makes the long distance thing a lot easier for us.

Years ago my ex-husband and I were obsessed with writing stories together. But with him working he didn't always have much time at home. Luckily, he did have time at work since he worked at a call center with a lot of down time between calls. So, on top of our stories we had in Word on the computer, we'd write in notebooks that he could take to work with him. The only problem with this was his handwriting. I'm good at reading bad handwriting but I'd have to ask him a lot what the heck certain things were. The picture is an example and the notebooks I could easily find. Those are mostly full of writing and we have more I just didn't dig for them lol.
20191212_201116~2.jpg

I actually am drafting a d&d campaign at the moment in my favorite slytherin notebook. So yeah, I do often use a pen and paper. It actually helps me focus

View attachment 656787
My writing is horrible, but how fun it was to keep track of stuff this way lol
Hah! That’s nothing compared to my almost hieroglyphic scrawl.

Anyways, back on topic. I have pretty much never written stuff with a pencil and a paper outside of school-related stuff. Because there’s only like a one in four chance I could be able to read it again after writing it down. My handwriting is actually horrible.

Last edited:
I actually have written poems for years now and have a little collection in a journal. I’ll also write in a journal to help process how I’m feeling most days, getting it out feels nice and it also helps me remember things better when it comes time to discuss with my my therapist.

As cheesy as it seems, I also write my partner love letters around our home or in their car too. It makes the long distance thing a lot easier for us.
I don't think that's cheesy in the least! It's awesome!

You say it like it's a bad thing.

Well, it's not bad but there is an element of detachment that I believe happens when you are focused solely on computer-generated work. I am a machine designer by trade and my work involves designing mechanical things in 3D space with CAD software. Obviously the benefits of seeing a machine completely realized in 3D space are huge, but when it comes to concept work or brainstorming ideas then the go-to is ALWAYS scratching things on paper or dry-erase boards. Your brain just works different using hand media.

I actually am drafting a d&d campaign at the moment in my favorite slytherin notebook. So yeah, I do often use a pen and paper. It actually helps me focus
I'm with you there, I do have long moments of focus using notebooks and paper then I do with a screen. I can do both but there's something about the paper that helps eliminate that need for a dopamine hit of being on a computer.

Years ago my ex-husband and I were obsessed with writing stories together. But with him working he didn't always have much time at home. Luckily, he did have time at work since he worked at a call center with a lot of down time between calls. So, on top of our stories we had in Word on the computer, we'd write in notebooks that he could take to work with him. The only problem with this was his handwriting. I'm good at reading bad handwriting but I'd have to ask him a lot what the heck certain things were. The picture is an example and the notebooks I could easily find. Those are mostly full of writing and we have more I just didn't dig for them lol.
View attachment 656842
Those are awesome! lol though I am having difficulty making out his writing as you stated haha

I used to. Still have cringy stories I wrote back in elementary school. I would blow through composition notebooks often. But my handwriting sucks now and I tend to use pen so I have a bunch of cross outs and also, if a scene isn't going the way I want it to, I'll end up crumbling the pages. I stick to writing processors for ease now, tbh.

I write story notes in a notebook, and I also do a lot of writing to plan things - projects, work, etc. I also have a paper diary because I find it helps me remember things better if I write them down rather than just enter them into my phone.

I like being able to make notes when I am out and about, but I find writing on the computer a lot easier.

Also I hate notebooks with lines. They are the bane of my stationery life. "Ooh this is a nice notebook! F***ing lines!!!! B*stards!" XD

Also I hate notebooks with lines. They are the bane of my stationery life. "Ooh this is a nice notebook! F***ing lines!!!! B*stards!" XD
I wish I was good enough to write outside the lines lolol, but alas I will be in line-Ville for eternity haha

I used to always carry a small notebook where I wrote fiction or ideas or just useful things for work.
I'm doing that more on my phone now since I recently got one with a decently-sized screen, but I still write in notebooks. I always have one at my desk for some quick notes, usually fiction snippets or taking notes of some random idea. I also use them for sketching but that's not writing so it doesn't count.

I present to you, my dear ol’ Notebook

B9D87C4A-92A0-4EBE-B301-68A6072FE9AA.jpeg

1FFC0321-5054-4466-9C36-E52F8A65266F.jpeg

FC837D43-EFCB-457C-B009-57B965BFE37A.jpeg

I often write down, ideas, plans and everything else which really helps me organize and write my posts I find. I can often write posts with twice the quality at three or four times the speed by using my notes with a plan first, rather than jumping into the post itself or just planning it out in the air.

As for writing full stories in pen and paper... not really. Most of the time I have to write I’m writing for other people, and those people don’t tend to be people I know IRL, only through the internet. It quite limits my options. (Plus I have some awful handwriting)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back