Advice/Help --discussion complete

Would you do a group RP over google documents?

• Yes

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Maybe (comment what the variable is to change your mind to yes, if you like)

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dutch

Ta Reine
okay I have my answer no need for more discussion. Vote if you'd like but I require no more comment everyone is generally saying exactly what I expect in regards to dislikes.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t do it, but that’s mostly because I wouldn’t do an RP over google docs period. It just doesn’t go with my style very well, and I prefer to use RPN to RP in general, both due to preferring the formatting and organization here and because I think that in general it makes more sense to RP in the RP site than using it as roleplay tinder.

I’m also not super extra comfortable using google docs and sharing it when my email might be exposed. It’s not like I wouldn’t do it though, since I use a separate email for these things anyway, but I definitely would find it a disadvantage overall.

Still, I Donny see anything wrong with the idea itself. It’s not something I’d be up to, but I think it could go over very well with the right overlap.

Idea Idea you don’t need an email to use Google Docs. And it can actually have the same or better organization than RPN.

As you can link multiple docs at the top in the exact same way you would link multiple threads on this site. And by using the table of contents feature it allows you to easily navigate the document without having to scroll mindlessly (both in the supplemental threads and in the IC thread)

And an email is only required for the individual who creates the documents initially. Everyone else just needs to follow a link. There is no sign in or email exchange required.

Now that said my answer is maybe. As the thing that Google Docs does lack is actually an ability to alert you when new posts have been added to the document. So you have to manually check them every day which is something that might be difficult for multiple people. Especially if they are like Idea Idea and unfamiliar with the format.

Plus you would need to keep the group relatively small. As someone who has done groups over google docs when you get too many people it just becomes disorganized looking and harder to keep everyone on task.

It’s not impossible though as long as your willing to keep on top of things and really over communicate with your players.

@Idea you don’t need an email to use Google Docs. And it can actually have the same or better organization than RPN.
I disagree with that. I find a post-based and more established formatting to be better both aesthetically and organizationally. I also find the ability to use things like tabs and different threads to be useful in a way that a document isn't.

Still, not here to pick a fight. I just find the organization and aesthetic on RPN better. Doesn't mean others have to as well.

Edit: I do admit my mistake regarding the email though. Since they always showed my GMail up there, I assumed one was required (I also think I remember failing to access one without a gmail, but that was a long time ago and I may be misremembering)

And an email is only required for the individual who creates the documents initially. Everyone else just needs to follow a link. There is no sign in or email exchange required.

True and untrue. You can share a edit link, but I'll be keeping my documents view only.

So I would require an email address to add users to the document and give them individual permission to edit. To keep the IC Document free of non-players posting.

EDIT: you may also REQUEST access too, but either way your email address is added to the document to give you personal access and ability to edit.

So you have to manually check them every day

I am going to assume anyone willing to RP via Docs is somewhat aware of this . . . but I feel it is no different than checking RPN every day to see your notifications. Granted I think RPN has a setting that emails you notifications too, but then you're checking your email every day . . . so same soup different day.

I disagree with that. I find a post-based and more established formatting to be better both aesthetically and organizationally. I also find the ability to use things like tabs and different threads to be useful in a way that a document isn't.
My doc has the equivalent of tabs (links at the top of the doc like at the top of a thread on RPN). In document links (known as bookmarks) that help you navigate through the document. Outline side bar that helps you navigate the document via headers. It looks pretty and posts are clearly separated . . . not trying to change your mind or anything, but GDocs are as organized as RPN threads (if not easier because in the end you also have Drive where you see the folder with all the documents in it, which I guess is similar to the threadmark system on RPN? I haven't used that yet).

Here let me show you (blurred some stuff that has like actual info in the doc!)
eg1.png

eg2.png

eg3.png

eg4.5.png

Last edited:
My doc has the equivalent of tabs (links at the top of the doc like at the top of a thread on RPN). In document links (known as bookmarks) that help you navigate through the document. Outline side bar that helps you navigate the document via headers. It looks pretty and posts are clearly separated . . . not trying to change your mind or anything, but GDocs are as organized as RPN threads (if not easier because in the end you also have Drive where you see the folder with all the documents in it, which I guess is similar to the threadmark system on RPN? I haven't used that yet).

Here let me show you (blurred some stuff that has like actual info in the doc!)

I guess I was wrong. Looking at that, RPN still seems plenty more organized, but again, that is to me.

I have definitely seen how well-organized and visually appealing google documents can be, and it would be nice to have a dedicated folder where all the RP pages are. I wouldn't necessarily mind joining a roleplay via Google Docs since I'm familiar with the layout and use it regularly, but there are definitely some cons that might be a deterrence.

This is more of a personal nitpick, but I always have the site in dark mode because it's easier on my eyes at night. You can download chrome extensions to sort of emulate a dark theme for docs, but the page itself will always be paper white, which is something that I can't really stand. Also, as I mentioned before I use Google Docs for a lot of things, and it's rather cluttered with a bunch of personal projects and reference pages. A shared roleplay folder would quickly get lost in the rubble (even within my bookmarks bar, which is also pretty full...) and generally appear out of place with everything else. I like RPNation because it's a dedicated site for everything roleplay, and the reason I use it is so I don't have to clutter my drive with more docs.

So... it's a definite maybe. These cons aren't completely deal-breaking or anything, but to me, RPN is the better site overall. It all really depends on how interested I am in the roleplay itself, so if I am absolutely in love with the idea I would definitely be open to using Google Docs.

page itself will always be paper white
While my documents page is white, you can actually make the page any color you like. Just incase you'd like to do that with your own documents.

File > Page Setup > will open a option menu.

p1.pngp2.pngp3.pngp4.png

It all really depends on how interested I am in the roleplay itself, so if I am absolutely in love with the idea I would definitely be open to using Google Docs.
Yes I will venture a guess and say interest in the actual RP is key number one. Here is hoping my scifi idea is interesting enough. Never know till I try.

Though it is promising that the poll isn't 100% NO and there are some YES & MAYBE in there.

Yes I will venture a guess and say interest in the actual RP is key number one. Here is hoping my scifi idea is interesting enough. Never know till I try.

Though it is promising that the poll isn't 100% NO and there are some YES & MAYBE in there.
For sure! There will definitely be people who wouldn't mind at all. The example screenshots you shared look quite neat and organized, I think I actually prefer that layout to most BBCoded posts.

I'm curious as to how adding replies would work, however: Will people be editing the document directly and you can sort of see the process of everyone's posts, or is it a copy & paste sort of thing? I guess it could be up to the individual at the end of the day, but I'm wondering for consistency.

I voted ‘yes’ yesterday and figured i would add some thoughts in here as to why.

I’ve roleplayed in docs before (although nothing nearly as organized as what I’m seeing in your spoilers) and it was a lot of fun. Didn’t hamper the experience at all for me and imo roleplaying is roleplaying. It’s about the words you write more than anything else so to me the location it’s being hosted in is irrelevant. If the plot and people are good then that’s all that ultimately matters.

The ONLY thing that I would maybe consider a con is the lack of notification for posting. I can be forgetful about posts so I do love the RPN feature of email notifications since that way I have a solid reminder system for replying. Granted, that is a “lazy” excuse as I’ve roleplayed for years across a multitude of sites and this is the first one I’ve encountered that has this system. So really, regularly checking wouldn’t be that big of a deal, I can just see it being a minor turn off for some people perhaps.

Anyways, google docs is lovely and it is an actual word processor so it holds that advantage as well for me. So yeah, if the plot is good and my other RP criteria is met I would 100% participate in a docs rp.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't but it would depend on the group. I've done 1x1 rps on Google docs, which don't really require quick responses. In a group rp I feel like there would be more pressure to respond quickly than on a forum, so I'd need a very cool group.

If it was expected to be a faster type of rp, I'd be more likely to use discord because there are more features (such as voice and tagging people to give notifications), and it's worked very effectively in the past for me.

Essentially, it's either a fast rp, in which case I'd find discord to be more effective, or it's a slower rp, in which case I'd be quicker to use the rpn threads or PMs. The only real benefit I see to Google docs is having it easier to access and save the content.

ApfelSeine ApfelSeine Not really understanding the correlation of speed and lacale. I am fairly certain you can RP fast or slow just about anywhere may it be a thread, instant messenger, email, pen and paper, I don't think there is any concrete evidence that says if you RP fast use location A and if you're slow use location B. My experience says fast or slow you can RP anywhere don't matter.

I am assuming like everyone else that notifications seems to be the big determining factor. But as I said to middleagedgeek, if you log into RPN or check your Email every day because you're invested in an RP making you actively seek out notifications / updates; that I would go out on a limb and say that you'd also then actively check your GDocs assuming you're invested enough to seek out any new content.

This is just me but I assume most people don't turn on or check websites they aren't active on, but when they are they make the conscientious effort to check it. Setting up a bookmark on their browser for easy access for example?

Not trying to change anyone's mind, just putting out there that notifications or not it's literally the same as actively checking a website to see there are updates. So I think setting up a bookmark isn't a far fetch or alien concept for anyone. Nor particularly unreasonable.

I would like to think people wouldn't instantly forget about their RP, regardless of where it is.

There is also a discord server for chatting, so people can post notification that they've made a post.

I'm curious as to how adding replies would work, however: Will people be editing the document directly and you can sort of see the process of everyone's posts, or is it a copy & paste sort of thing? I guess it could be up to the individual at the end of the day, but I'm wondering for consistency.

Up to the players. They can write their post directly to the IC document, or do as I do with all my RPs (doesn't matter the location) make a document and write there, then copy paste to the IC Doc.

I will assume most people don't want to potentially be watched writing live and go will for the private doc, copy/paste method.

For me, it's a no because it means one more app on my phone that I need to keep track. I barely even check my discord or LINE anymore. I want to keep my RP in one convenient place, so far RPN is able to provide me that.

For me, it's a no because it means one more app on my phone that I need to keep track. I barely even check my discord or LINE anymore. I want to keep my RP in one convenient place, so far RPN is able to provide me that.
Understandable. I live on drive for so many different projects it's just part of my daily experience. But if it's not for you or others it makes sense it would be hard to integrate into a daily routine.

I'm more inclined to a no.
I'm usually logged in my work account because I use gdocs a lot for work. And I really don't want to disclose my real name to anyone, especially a group of random people. Switching between multiple accounts is a hassle.
Aside from that I don't have a problem with it. Wouldn't be much different from any properly ogranized roleplay and I'm used to writing in gdocs.

True and untrue. You can share a edit link, but I'll be keeping my documents view only.

So I would require an email address to add users to the document and give them individual permission to edit. To keep the IC Document free of non-players posting.

EDIT: you may also REQUEST access too, but either way your email address is added to the document to give you personal access and ability to edit.

I am going to assume anyone willing to RP via Docs is somewhat aware of this . . . but I feel it is no different than checking RPN every day to see your notifications. Granted I think RPN has a setting that emails you notifications too, but then you're checking your email every day . . . so same soup different day.

You actually don’t have to physically check your email or this site. If your linked to discord it will send you notifications on your phone. As far as I know the same thing happens with desktop notifications but I’m mostly on my phone.

So it is actually much more convienent using RPN because I’m not signing onto anything I’m just seeing on my phone - hey so and so messages me on RPN.

Whereas I would have to physically check docs.

It’s not admittedly a huge inconvenience if your used to the format I’m just saying that for folks used to RPN there is an extra step to go through.

ApfelSeine ApfelSeine Not really understanding the correlation of speed and lacale. I am fairly certain you can RP fast or slow just about anywhere may it be a thread, instant messenger, email, pen and paper, I don't think there is any concrete evidence that says if you RP fast use location A and if you're slow use location B. My experience says fast or slow you can RP anywhere don't matter.

I am assuming like everyone else that notifications seems to be the big determining factor. But as I said to middleagedgeek, if you log into RPN or check your Email every day because you're invested in an RP making you actively seek out notifications / updates; that I would go out on a limb and say that you'd also then actively check your GDocs assuming you're invested enough to seek out any new content.

This is just me but I assume most people don't turn on or check websites they aren't active on, but when they are they make the conscientious effort to check it. Setting up a bookmark on their browser for easy access for example?

Not trying to change anyone's mind, just putting out there that notifications or not it's literally the same as actively checking a website to see there are updates. So I think setting up a bookmark isn't a far fetch or alien concept for anyone. Nor particularly unreasonable.

I would like to think people wouldn't instantly forget about their RP, regardless of where it is.

There is also a discord server for chatting, so people can post notification that they've made a post.

I have personally found that when I rp in a chat style, it goes way faster in a chatroom than quick back and forth PMs. My experience with discord rps in particular have been primarily dice based, and since discord had features that let players communicate and play those types of rp quickly, the rp itself progresses faster than I've seen any other sort of rp go (at least that I've taken part in). Plus, compared to Google docs, well..... Let's just say I use my phone to rp and that's not ideal. I do currently have a Google docs rp with my friend, and the app crashes constantly in addition to taking forever to load.

I actively check for updates to that particular rp, but as described it doesn't work out too well for me. Mobile Google docs just isn't built for it, at least with the length we've taken it. That affects both the speed of my response, and my general level of frustration. But as you said, that's not your experience. We all have different experiences, so I also doubt I'm gonna convert anyone one way or another, but hopefully I've clarified my point better.

Really, beyond speed and notifications, I think different platforms are simply better for certain games. And for certain people, certain sites may feel more secure, or easier to navigate.

Last edited:
For me, personally, I don't have a clue as to how to roleplay over google docs. I have heard of it being done, but, I haven't gotten a chance to immerse myself into a different platform to roleplay on. I tried using tumblr, jcink, and other roleplaying sites, and honestly, I like RPN's function a lot more.

The aesthetics are more pleasing to my eye since in this forum-based platform, I can see who's post belongs to who with their avatar, their post with their coding of their choice or not, rather than just seeing text down the line despite maybe a floated image of a character to match with the post.

My attention span, unfortunately, doesn't last long if there isn't some sort of visual aid outside of written text. However, at the same time, if there isn't a clear divide between different players | members when posting, I get anxious and my need for organisation kicks in.

For example, from seeing the google doc for the in character, I did notice the cute banner that mentions "username: character". But, since players will be posting on the same google doc page, users may change their text, colours, etc. which, as I'm reading, will help a lot to distinguish among players, however, for me personally, it may drive me off the wall seeing so many different fonts being used - if it's allowed - on one page on a google document.

When I scroll through my own google documents, I tend to like it neatly organized a certain way and having mix-matched fonts, colours, and etc. can ruin my idea of an aesthetic which can drive other people bonkers if I want things a certain way.

And, as someone who's post runs quite lengthy at times, it gets to the point where my eyes may get tired of reading so much material all under one page as you scroll down a document.

I do, however, looking at the screenshots and skimming through some of the discussion on this thread, can definitely see the organisation and how linking different documents at the top of the page can function as a "tab", but, for me, personally, I'd want things done a "certain" way and that would cause me to become an unwarranted control freak. [ No one wants that ].

With forums such as RPN which is clearly shows the player's avatar, name, and then their post, it helps me distinguish a lot easier and wouldn't cause my need for "organisation" in how people post with different font, colours, and whatnot to go insane.

If I need to clarify anything, please let me know!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back