• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here

Wren93

Writer
Around the world, and through the centuries, people disappear everyday. Eventually everyone moves on with their lives and many of the missing go forgotten, never to have their cases closed. Unbeknownst to the citizens of earth, occasionally, the reason these victims cannot be found is because they no longer exist in the same universe.

Our story begins when a group of ordinary humans wake up in an extraordinary new world, far away from their normal home. Why have they come here? Who brought them here? What do they do now?

Jacques’ head was splitting. What had happened? There had been a huge flash of white light and then nothing. And now he was conscious and laying in a grassy field. He sat up slowly and looked around. This was nowhere he had ever been before. Was he dreaming? Did he get hit by a car and now he was in a coma? He shrugged. If this was a beautiful dream he might as well make the most of it. He stood up and realized he was wearing the same clothes and carrying the same bag as before. But he felt a bit different somehow. He was definitely shorter. He kept noticing something silvery in his periphery. He reached out for it and realized it was his hair! He groaned and rubbed his aching head. He felt the horns growing from his scalp that he had definitely not had before. This was such a strange dream. He investigated his surroundings to get a better feel for where he was. The sun was high in the sky, it was warm but not hot. There was a slight breeze. He could see mountains in the east and the plain seemed to stretch out infinitely to the west. He scratched his head wondering what he should do first.

Juniper had had a less than pleasant day. She'd spent all day on her feet, arguing with patient's parents about the best treatment options for their pets, barely even having enough time to eat her stupid granola bar. Or at least... that's what she remembered her most pressing issues to be. Her patients. But now... Where was she? Mountains surrounded the horizon, how far from home was that? No. She wasn't home. And she wasn't alone. Close-by, a silvery haired, horned person wandered. Instinctively, Juniper assumed he was looking for her. She was right in her assumptions after all. She was dead, in hell, and was being pursued by a devil. Of course. Trying not to let her anxiety get the better of her, she instead called out, "Hello?"

Jacques whirled around, surprised. He hadn’t noticed the white haired woman laying prone in the long grass. She was upright now and looking at him with a wary expression. She had a somehow hellish appearance though she wasn’t unattractive. He gulped. He gave a little wave, somewhat weakly. “H-hello” he croaked. His eyes widened as he suddenly began looking all around him. We’re there other people hiding in the grass? Who was this woman and how long had she been there? He looked back at her. “W-where am I?” He stammered.

Last edited:
Juniper's eyes widened in surprise at his question. "What do you mean, where are you? You're the one with horns. I-" she reached up to check her hair and found it where it had been, albeit slightly shorter and... white? It was when she reached her forehead that she fell quiet, feeling a point where there had been none. "Hey, quick question. Do I have horns?" she barely held back surprise and, well, panic. Why did he have horns? Why did she have horns?? Where in the blazes were they?

Last edited:
Jacques frowned and slumped his shoulders with a sigh. So she was in the same boat. He nodded apologetically. “Yeah, I’m guessing they weren’t there before.” He pointed to his horns. “Same here. All I know is I was walking home and a car came screeching around the corner. There was a bright light and I woke up here.”

Last edited:
Juniper didn't know what to make of that. To her knowledge, she had been at the clinic. Or at least, that's the last thing she remembered. She supposed it didn't really matter though. From what he just said, he also died. So somehow, she had died, too, right? "I don't think I remember what was happening before I came... wherever this is. My name is Juniper. It's nice, I guess, to have equally confused company."

Jacques scratched the back of his head with an awkward smile. “I’m Jacques. Under different circumstances I’d say I’m pleased to meet you.” He looked around again then shrugged. “So what now?” he asked. “My ‘wake up in another world’ merit badge skills are a little rusty.”

"No way!" Juniper chuckled, as if to lighten the heavy cloud of confusion that weighed them down currently. "Mine are too. Maybe we'll just have to figure it out together." She sounded a lot more confident than she felt. Inside, her heart was racing. "Hey, um... you came from Earth, right? You're not an alien? Gotta get the preliminary questions out of the way."

Jacques smiled, relieved that at the very least the person he was stuck in another world with had a sense of humor. He held up a peace sign and said “Montreal born and raised. I come in peace.” He sat down in the long grass, smoothing it down. “So where are you from then? If you don’t mind my asking.” Jacques was trying to control his own anxiety, making sure he breathed calmly. He didn’t know what else to do other than sit and chat with this stranger.

Last edited:
Juniper’s mood lightened. If he was joking around, too, maybe their situation wasn’t as dire as it had seemed. Besides, she told herself, he looked just like one of the creatures in her favorite fantasy game. Maybe they were at the beginning of a fantastic adventure. “England. Well, Manchester. Well, Manchester is in England but… ah, you get the point. I’m also human. Er, I was.” She smiled as she made fun of her new ears. Just roll with the punches, Juni, she told herself, and you’ll be okay.

Jacques gave her a brief expression of piqued interest before turning his attention to his bag. “England huh? I’ve been there a couple times” he said casually as he opened the zipper and examined the contents. He sighed. He didn’t know what he expected and he couldn’t say he wished he had picked better because how was he supposed to know that this was all gonna happen. Either way, he didn’t have much of anything useful. “So what did you do there?” he asked, trying to cover the sound of his rumbling stomach. He didn’t have very many snacks, but he didn’t feel like rationing them. If he was gonna die in this new world then he was gonna die. He popped a bag of pretzels and threw a couple in his mouth before looking guiltily at Juniper.

Juniper simply chuckled, “It’s okay, I’m not the biggest fan of pretzels. All yours, as far as I’m concerned.” While she may have been hungry, she also knew that the idea of sharing her last granola bar was stressful. What if she never got another one again? So she allowed him his snacks, in the hopes that she could have her own to herself later. “I’m a vet. I work at a shelter, try to lower the cost of medical bills for parents so they don’t have to abandon their pets. What about you?” Her voice seemed less chipper when describing her job, as remembering it caused her to worry about who would do her work in her place.

Jacques simply shrugged again. “I just help out at my uncles shop. It’s not much but thanks to him I can fix most anything.” He ate half his bag and put the rest away and dusted off his fingers. He sat quietly looking at the mountains for a moment, thinking hard. He turned back to Juniper and asked, “So what now?”

What a difficult question he’d asked. What do they do next? She sat quietly for a moment, torn between being optimistic and realistic. “I think we should operate under the assumption that we can’t get home. Something happened to us, and we’re not anywhere I’d recognize.” She wasn’t super worldly, but she had a vague knowledge of flora and fauna in certain regions. This looked nothing like anywhere she knew of. “Someone has got to know something more about what happened. I think we should try to make a shelter, and look for anyone else who might be around. Maybe it isn’t just the two of us here.”

Jacques nodded and stood, brushing himself off. He smelled like the sweet grass they’d been sitting in. He took a deep breath and put his hands in his pockets. He looked down at Juniper stoically. “Alright but there are some very obvious things that should be said first. If there are people here, we have no idea how they will react to us. So we should assume they are going to be hostile and we are in danger. Also, we have to realize we don’t really know each other. I could be a serial killer who has lied to you about everything so far. So, even though it’s just words and a handshake, we should at least make an agreement to not do anything harmful to each other for the time that we are working together for the benefit of both of us.” As he finished his speech he approached the demon girl slowly and extended his hand.

Last edited:
"I won't be hostile!" Cordelia cried out, from where she had been laying, just a stretch of grass away.
She had been listening intently to the pair's conversation, trying to gather all she could, but apart from cautiously turning her head to view them she had been too scared to move. This was out of politeness, rather than fear, and for this reason she planted her hands firmly behind herself when she sat up. She didn't want to come off as selfish, but it took everything she had not to grab at her ears and head to check for new appendages. To check she was still human.
"I'm Cordelia," she smiled weakly, "A-and I was an Aupair. Like a nanny-not a serial killer! I wanted to say earlier but you... seemed busy..." she trailed off, flushing red as she realised how foolishly she had acted. In the build up to finally revealing herself, Cordelia hadn't realised she was about to interrupt a deal, so when she noticed Jacques' outstretched hand she took this as a cue to clamp her mouth firmly shut; waiting with wide eyes for their rebuttal.

Last edited:
The sudden outburst from another person threw Juniper off guard. She hadn’t even thought to consider that the people around her might be Ill-intended. Her eyes softened as she gazed upon Cordelia. “Hey, it’s okay,” she spoke calmly. Clearly this woman was panicked. Hard to blame her at all, though. This was a rather frightful situation. Determined, she shook Jacques’ hand, rather aggressively as if to mock the idea of her being a murderer. “Okay, we’re all on one team. From here on out, any more people, after thorough vetting to ensure they’re not murderers-“ she eyed Jacque as she spoke, “should be assumed as a part of the team.” She watched their faces for either confirmation or rejection of her idea.

Jacques shook Junipers hand with equal pressure letting a sheepish smile creep across his face. He hadn’t intended to freak her out. As he dropped her hand his eyes looked warily over at the newcomer. Even if he wanted to defend himself against a potential threat he realized he was hopelessly unarmed. Still though, she seemed harmless enough. She claimed to be like them but she could be lying. He put on a friendly smile. “Hi there. I hope we didn’t scare you. So you’re like us huh? Where are you from?”

Cordelia's eyes lit up at her new companions' kindness, and she was glad to see that Juniper was able to put her foot down on Jaques' aggression. She already felt immensely less intimidated by the dark figure with Juniper present, and nodded aggressively in agreement when the wood elf suggested approaching strangers with more compassion.
"Ah, I'm British too, near Birmingham," Cordelia replied to Jaques' interrogation, "And my dad is actually from Manchester too! I'm moving there next year for a new host family...or I guess I was..."
As a heavy silence fell over the group Cordelia shook her nerves and tried to repair the damaged atmosphere. "But hey, now I get to move somewhere new! I wonder if everyone here is like us."

"Glad to see a friendly face," Juniper said as she relaxed her posture. She didn't quite understand why they looked... almost like teiflings. Nor why Cordelia seemed to be different somehow. Suddenly, an idea crossed her mind. "Hey, when you were looking around earlier, how far did you go?" She asked Jacques. She may not have much experience in this, but it was slightly better than allowing Cordelia and Jacques to their own devices, since one was so nervous and the other so... reserved. Juniper decided she would do her best to keep these two safe.

Last edited:
Jacques relaxed a bit. If Cordelia was from this world there’s no way she could have answered his question like that. She really was like them. From earth. His smile became more genuine. He moved forward and offered his hand to her to help her up out of the grass.

Cordelia gratefully took Jaques' hand, looking shyly at the ground as she pulled herself up. Her ears pricked at Juniper's question, had Jaques been here much longer than them? Her eyes met his chest, but she didn't want to gawk upward at the tall demon as they awaited his reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back