Video Games World of Warcraft Frustrations

Lioness075

Everyone's fighting some battle of their own.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Okay, so I've been playing this game off and on for nearly ten years now. I was just playing the game now and joined a dungeon group to be healer. The tank had DPS gear and couldn't hold aggro, so after we all wiped, I whispered to him the problem and that he just needed to do small pulls so I could keep everyone alive. Us healers can only heal so much before everyone is dying anyways. Then since we were in a very old dungeon, I couldn't remember where everything was and I was confused by a dungeon quest that said a boss was in an area, but I couldn't see him anywhere. I saw the DPS running around me and just assumed the whole group was with me, so I moved forward and the boss was summoned by our proximity. I healed through the fight, but the tank didn't even do his job and just kept running around the boss while the DPS nearly died in the process. I asked him why he did that and his reasoning was that since I pulled, the whole party should apparently go down with me. I said I was going to leave after they pulled another group because I didn't want to abruptly leave them to die since everyone was so squishy. I never even got the chance before the group voted to kick me.

It's just...like, I know this kinda toxicity is in almost any online game. But like, the group vote part of dungeons gets abused so often. I was very nice about the whole thing and when I mentioned the tank having issues, I did that all in a whisper to avoid making a big deal of it in the party chat. I've enjoyed this game for many years, getting bored of it here and there, but always coming back to it. I guess this is mostly just a rant more than anything and I was wondering if I was actually in the wrong here or not? I accidentally summoned another boss before I accidentally did it again before they voted to kick me. I honestly had forgotten how this dungeon worked after so many years, but then they started to give me attitude about it. Like, I told them it had been a long time since I did the dungeon and it was all honest mistakes. Idk, I should expect these kinds of interactions nowadays, but they always disappoint me. I feel like I had far more positive in-game interactions back when I started in the Wrath of the Lich King expansion.

My MMO experience is limited to Final Fantasy 14 A Real Reborn in which I was a Paladin tank, come to find out this was a difficult role to play early in the game. I used to get endless grief from people when I was still new and trying to learn what tanking meant and memorizing dungeons and boss fights. I finally got good at a few things but the content eventually became so large that I couldn't remember everything which would cause eventual problems during fights. So basically I ended up never using a tank class unless it was with people I knew because I got tired of being treated poorly from "randos." I feel your pain in the situation you laid out and hope you can still have fun playing WoW despite all the idiots.

Nah, you're not in the wrong. I assume it has to do with how instant tank and healer queues are (give or take), giving people in those roles a "you need me, I don't need you" vibe that makes them arrogant. Plus, given that most people playing WoW nowadays have played it for years, they probably have full BoA and want to speed run. It'd be odd for him to let the group wipe, though, so maybe he wanted to reset the boss.

Honestly, this reminds me of when I decided to pick up my druid again after not leveling her for... seven years, I think? I was maining resto for easy dungeon queues back in the day, but since resto was nerfed into the ground and I couldn't heal a party worth a shit, I swapped to feral only for a later party member (one of those "toxic" people you mention) threaten to kick me for not doing enough damage in a WoTLK dungeon. Feral is already a pain to deal with--maintaining bleeds and other dots on all targets for max damage (which is ironic because I enjoy rogue)--and I hadn't seriously played a druid in almost a decade, so sheesh, gimme a break.

This is why I definately prefer ESO over WoW. I played it very briefly ages ago because the graphics reminded me of an old mmo near and dear to my heart (lol) but after roaming around a bit and stuff, it never clicked with me. Not to mention it seemed like you needed money at every turn just to play it, that also turned me off of it, not to mention the fact that people complained about the community atmosphere. ESO is a lot different than that. Yes, there's bad apples, but most people I came across were like you, they preferred to help new players rather than belittle them. I mainly play tank and I remember having issues in dungeons too. While some folks got annoyed, some of them stayed and helped me, explained the mechanics. And you know what? I got better. I have a different tank build now, with less issues. I'm still shocked at how freaking nice people can be in that game. I asked a question about where to get a certain item, and someone just randomly gifted me a large number of that item??

Yes, WoW may be one of the OGs, but I think it's just one of those games that is difficult to get into as a newbie. Same with Runescape. Tried to like it, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

This is why I definately prefer ESO over WoW. I played it very briefly ages ago because the graphics reminded me of an old mmo near and dear to my heart (lol) but after roaming around a bit and stuff, it never clicked with me. Not to mention it seemed like you needed money at every turn just to play it, that also turned me off of it, not to mention the fact that people complained about the community atmosphere. ESO is a lot different than that. Yes, there's bad apples, but most people I came across were like you, they preferred to help new players rather than belittle them. I mainly play tank and I remember having issues in dungeons too. While some folks got annoyed, some of them stayed and helped me, explained the mechanics. And you know what? I got better. I have a different tank build now, with less issues. I'm still shocked at how freaking nice people can be in that game. I asked a question about where to get a certain item, and someone just randomly gifted me a large number of that item??

Yes, WoW may be one of the OGs, but I think it's just one of those games that is difficult to get into as a newbie. Same with Runescape. Tried to like it, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Yeah, I usually fall back on the game when I don’t have enough time to enjoy a properly immersive game like ESO. I do love it, but I’m also intent on never rushing the NPCs through their dialogue and so just one quest ends up being an hour-long endeavor for me if it involves talking at any point. XD I actually have rarely interacted with anyone in ESO compared to WoW. It feels more like a single-player game to me at the end of the day, which isn’t a bad thing. But I always am rushed through dungeons without a word and then I often do get to chat with people in dungeons in WoW, even if some of the interactions can be frustrating.

Yeah, I get what you mean. Although, I like that I can participate if I want to? Sometimes zone chat will go quiet for hours, and then someone pops up with random shit. Just the other day in I think it was the Rift zone, someone started talking about werewolves and "looking for someone who wants to fuck a werewolf" which lead to the most bizarre zone chat I've ever encountered lol. And I love the npc dialogue options, even though you're right, it takes longer. But, i'm in no rush, tbh. I usually have time in between classes (lotta more breaks in college), I'll just pull up my laptop and go through some quests.

Most people who do dungeons tend to only say quick stuff like "chest" or "get close to me for heal" or what they want the tank to do. I'm okay with that, but I can see how these low-level interactions might put someone off but I'll rather have polite, if quiet atmosphere rather than a rude + loud one. Also, I'll imagine that trying to type and fight in dungeons is a bit difficult in Wow as well?
I guess in ESO, people are mainly just focusing on doing their roles and completing the dungeon rather than chit chat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back