• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy World of Gea: The Greatest Adventure [IC] [CLOSED]

Pepin had remained quite throughout the entire event that had unfolded from Devereaux’s reveal, observing from the sidelines the various reactions across the company. He himself was not invested in this in any deal, even if he had his own opinions on the subject of Vampyrs, and he certainly had no reason to hate or distrust the jester for any reason. If anything, he found some of the reactions to be completely out of line. Still, what’s done was done and now the commotion was dispersing and, much to his relief, it did so peacefully.

He took the time to sit and smoke by the fire, but was also approached by Alberto and Cécilia as they first commented on what had happened, but then also asked about what might happen in Brannoria with the cambions. Pepin took a draft from his cigarette and grunted, nodding his head to their words. “If it happens, and I think that is likely, madame, then… we’ll simply have to defend them, no?” he asked, looking into the fire before moving his gaze towards them again. “Whether its with words or steel.”

He then shook his head, turning his gaze over to some of the other members of the company with a frown on his face. “As for them. If they get worked up like that again? Well… I say discipline needs to be established. One way or another.”

Pepin said:
“As for them. If they get worked up like that again? Well… I say discipline needs to be established. One way or another.”

"Are you suggesting we train them more?" asked Cécilia before throwing a piece of firewood into the firepit middle of her spacious tent. "We've trained them during our stay in Waterham, unless you are suggesting we use different techniques." said Alberto, crossing his arms while his eyes drifted back to the fire. "I trust you both messieurs with this, while I might be the leader of this expedition, you are ultimately the most experienced warriors of the company, just make sure to tell Sentry and Gawain afterwards, since they're the seconds in the command." Alberto looked at Pepin, who was probably confused. "After our fight with the bandits, I talked with Gawain, Sentry and Dakarai and told them that they should take my place as the martial leaders of the company if anything happened to me. We didn't tell you at the time bec-"

"Because you are a common warrior."
stated the scholar. "Still, it appears we need a common warrior more than ever to help us deal with the rest of the company." She added.

"What about Dakarai?" asked Alberto as his gaze focused on Cécilia. "That poor beastman has enough things to do being a cleric and treating everyones maladies. Until he feels ready to perform his duties, I'd say you need to choose another candidate to replac-." "Korzhev." said the knight suddenly. "I... I hope you reconsider, I love the Vodyanoy as much as anyone else in the party but... we both know he's not entirely up there." said the scholar with slight concern. "Old people understand each other." said Alberto with a growing grin on his wizened face.

Anija was startled by Cal's uncharacteristic desire to initiate conversation, but she answered his request, and stood up to follow him. The light of the fire began to grow dim as the darkness of the night slowly enveloped them both. Something felt off. She wished to return to the campfire to rest herself from the night's events before bed, but It drove her to keep pace with Cal.

The pair finally stopped in an outcropping of trees whose long and spindly branches cast zigzag shadows in the moonlight. Anija waited for Cal to say something, though the Dark Elf said nothing, his eyes narrowed and brows furrowed. She cleared her throat, and opened her mouth to speak, but froze still, the words caught in her throat.

She felt a sudden burning sensation in her mind, and she took a step back. Gasping, she winced as a stab of pain shot through her body, her ears filling with a loud ringing.

"He...hears..." the voice said. Calocis' eyes narrowed further, but he remained still.

"W-what?" she said out loud, her voice cracking with panic.

"He...hears...us speak...together" the voice continued. "He...must know...something...we...must speak".

Before she was able to respond, Anija suddenly shot straight up, letting out a wheezing gasp, and clenching her eyes shut as if to keep them from the rays of the moon. The pain was unbearable but her body refused to buckle, as if suspended in midair like a statue. Her head began to spin, whispers turned to shouts, and the ringing grew to a fever pitch. Suddenly, Anija's twitching stopped, and her body relaxed. Her eyes opened, her ruby red gaze now a deep and inky black.

She turned to face Cal directly.

"SPEAK." she said, her voice no longer her own...but shared.

Last edited:
“I suggest discipline, madame. Punishment for those who would act out.” Pepin bluntly replied to Cécilia, “There needs to be some authority established, otherwise this *will* happen again. And likely, it won’t have the same outcome as today.” His words were rather stern regarding this warning, given how close violence among the company members came to being acted out on. Though the mention of second in commands of Sentry and Gawain was a bit confusing at first, especially with the latter as he himself also had a distaste for necromancy, but he settled in quickly on that.

“Hm. A *common* warrior.” Pepin then remarked, his face smirking slightly at the word common as he took another draft from his cigarette. “Well, if you need this *common* warrior’s help in these matters then you’ll have it.” He then rubbed his chin and grunted with a pensive smile: “Before they actually do start killing each other.”

Devereaux was surprised by the sudden kiss on the cheek from his friend Abasi, forcing his attention away from the others and onto the dancer.

"Well, now that's all solved! Don't worry about the grumpy ones, I never do!" He then took Devy's hand softly "Come, why don't we find a place to relax and maybe play some music to clear our minds?" He said with a playful grin on his face.

"I'd love to, but things aren't quite solved yet. I need to move my things out of the camp. I'll probably set up down by the lake, away from everyone." said the Harlequin. "Its out of respect for the company. You heard them, of course. Most don't want to be near me, or sleep near me, at the moment. So, whatever it takes to help them a bit better, right?"

He then smiled warmly at Abasi. "Thank you, Abasi, for backing me up. I really mean it." he then stated, before looking to the others. "Now, the faster I get things moved, the faster I can return to serenading you all with song! I shall return shortly!"

And with that, Devereaux took his mask back and departed for his tent.

Both Alberto and Cécilia raised a eye brow and looked at each other upon the suggestion of punishment. "I... I don't know about that, we are a scholarly expeditionary company, not a mercenary one." said the scholar while Alberto nodded along the warriors suggestion. "I say you should consider his ideas, madame. I must admit that I am do not see punishment in a favorable light, but back in my knights days a good punishment tested a squires mettle for future trails ahead of them." said Alberto while Cécilia remained visibly hesitant.

“Regardless of what we are, we still have trained soldiers and warriors in our ranks. Without any form of discipline, they’re bound to start running wild. And stirring trouble as we saw tonight.” Pepin then spoke up, “Ground rules should be established, with consequences for those who step out of line. Madame, if you want to prevent another incident like with Devereaux, then this is what will be necessary.”

Cécilia shifted her gaze between Pepin and Alberto for a few moments before sighing. “…very well. I trust your… both of your judgements.” She then spoke, relenting to the suggestion. “Just remember, we aren’t a military detachment-“

“Of course.” Pepin replied, cutting off Cécilia as to alleviate her worries. “I won’t be going around relieving people of their heads.” It was meant to be a joke, but Cécilia had not found it amusing in the slightest. Pepin then straightened himself into a more serious composure, “You have my word madame, I will only do what is necessary and nothing more.”

Alberto nodded and crossed his arms, “Then it’s settled. When can you get started?”

Pepin shrugged in response. “Tomorrow.” He spoke, before continuing on about the challenges that will come as well as his expectations on meeting them. Alberto noticed out of the corner of his eye as Pepin spoke that Calocis and Anija walked together away from the encampment. He furrowed his brow as he wondered what exactly they would be doing this late in the night that warranted them leaving the prodding eyes and ears of the company. He would keep a close tab on that development as he nodded to Pepin as he finished speaking.

The three would then say their good-nights as they turned in for the evening, as the night was growing darker and the tiresome events that had unfolded earlier began to weight on everyone. One by one, members of the company, save for those on patrol or sentry duty shifts, would settle down in their tents and beds and let sleep come. For some, it would be a restless night after having learned of a Vampyr among their ranks, but for others came a hope that things would be better on the journey to come.

Chapter 2: Intermission by the Free-Cities Border
Intermission

A Day’s Travel from the Expeditionary Company…

The woodlands of Vaugeois were notable for their thick pines and sparse underbrush, save for the bushes and ferns that took root on the forest floor, and was host to an abundance of wildlife. In particular, a group of deer were grazing on the vegetation under their hooves without much worry or harm. Their brown coats contrasted against the darker pine bark and the greenery of what they were eating, and such stood out to anyone or anything that would observe them. Yet their calm demeanor was shattered as they raised their heads in alert as a noise was heard nearby, and then scattered deeper into the woods.

Two bannermen of House de Lyonesse walked on patrol together, passing the time as they did their rounds without much interest. They didn’t expect any trouble in these woods, or in this region in particular given how sparsely populated it was outside of the Free Cities themselves, and were rather bored of their assignment. One in particular was voicing his displeasure to his comrade as they walked: “Can’t believe we were the ones chosen to be sent on this stinking company.” He complained as he muttered, “And we have to accompany the little lordling to his death, thanks to the Duke de Lyonesse. Den of vipers them lot-“

“Don’t speak like that.”
The other practically hissed, shaking his head ass he kicked the ground beneath him while they paced through the thicket. “I don’t want to be here any more than you do, shitting in the woods and marching till my feet ache, but… we have a job to do. Regardless of what you think of the Duke de Lyonesse, we still need to go along with what he assigned for us.” He then glanced quickly back from where they had been previously and shrugged: “And besides, maybe the little lordling isn’t as bad as his uncle?” he then asked but was only met without words as a response from his compatriot who only grunted and shrugged at such a notion.

unknown.png

Back where they had come from, a small clearing in the forest was inhabited with tents and people who were not natives to the land. Bearing the banners of House de Lyonesse near the entrance to the encampment as to signal its authority and prestige of its owner to whomever might chance upon them, however unlikely that prospect was at the moment, which proudly displayed a golden lion upon a field of blue. Majestic in its presence as it was out of place when compared to its more natural surroundings. A total of seven tents had been set up in a semi-circular fashion around the main bonfire at the center of the clearing which served as the main hub for the traveling bannerman, their liege, and the others who were with them as well.

Small wooden stakes had been set up at the perimeter as a rudimentary and quick way to establish a perimeter just near the tents themselves, offering a small feeling of security as well as to ward off animals from venturing too closely. Two of the regular levies stood at attention at the front of the camp’s entrance, at guard next to the banners themselves, while a few others went about their business inside the camp ground. Some were relaxing, others were sharpening their blades, and some were having a meal at this time of day. Two courtiers that had accompanied their liege were busy charting their next course of travel as they looked over maps of the area and discussed with furious mutters on what route or path they should take.

For the camp’s leader, Olivier de Lyonesse, he stood at the bonfire of the camp along with a few other travelers who were indeed neither associated with House de Lyonesse or Eranoire, nor from this region either: Amani, Mihret, Tate, and Hazel all stood close to Olivier as to speak with one another and chat about whatever it was they were speaking about. How they came about on this journey varied wildly on their reasons and intentions, but they all nonetheless traveled the same as they had for many days prior.

Amani.png
Mihret.png
Hazel.png
Tate.png

9b0f6d20ce292777311eb77050413900.jpg
Tate sat on a log that had been rolled up for seating by the fire. In one hand he was swirling a glowing blue liquid in a small vial, in the other, he was hurriedly sketching the nearest towering pine in a leather-bound book balanced on his knees. He was listening too, as best he could, to the conversations around the fire. There was just so much to see, so much to do! And Tatum was still awestruck and overwhelmed by it all.

You must recount the tale of how you three met.” Tate spoke brightly to their three new companions. “Bandits, monsters, I have only briefly read your credits, but from the sounds of it you’ve all done quite a bit of living already!

Tate’s enthusiastic wonder may have been taxing for some, indeed the guards had long since stopped answering him, but he couldn’t help it. His parents had kept him shut up in his family’s estate for years upon years. Oh, he dreaded to think what they would do if they caught him now. Still, what was done was done, and Olivier needed him, or, needed someone at least; someone who wasn’t his uncle’s dubious entourage. He glanced over at their new companions: Amani, Hazel and Mihret, wondering if they sensed it too. Tate didn’t like these men.

He pulled the quill off from the paper and blew gently. The wet ink glistened in the firelight and Tate inhaled the scent of it mixed with the smell of pine, moss and smoke. Everything in the forest felt so…alive.

He closed the book carefully so he could devote more attention to his companions. Oh!

Two hundred and twenty-two, three, four…
On five, he lifted his thumb from the top of the vial.
Now five seconds exposed to open air and…

The vial glowed white, and a burst of blue powder erupted from the neck, blasting the unfortunate alchemist in the face. He coughed. “I er, think it’s supposed to do that.

Carefully he removed his glasses, his entire face was covered with blue powder, save for the circles his glasses had made. He corked the bottle and began wiping his face with a pocket handkerchief.

AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa The Prophet The Prophet BriiAngelic BriiAngelic Elenion Aura Elenion Aura

Last edited:
Mihret Vivar
Ritter von Sankt Friedwart
De Lyonesse Camp

Mihret.jpg
=============================

The glint of silver and steel reflected a calm gaze of dull amber, a quiet knight carefully looking over the long blade with a wet cloth in hand. A daily ritual from back when he himself was a squire, Mihret sat on the cut down trunk of a tree near the bonfire, maintaining his gear. A full suit of armor laid deconstructed back inside his tent, a black scabbard leaned against his thigh, and a longsword rested carefully in his lap as he cleaned and oiled the blade.

Ever since they joined the small noble entourage, spending time every day maintaining armor and weapons had become more of a habit than usual, despite the lack of combat. It wasn’t as if the camp was unpleasant; speaking with the other knights or the soldiers was enjoyable, and he was always ready to help hunt for the cooks. Not to mention he had to worry about his outgoing companions less, given the safety in numbers and noble company. Bandits would be fools to draw blades against soldiers and knights, and it seemed they enjoyed the new faces. With everything considered, he should be happy to enjoy himself. But yet he turned down help on his equipment maintenance, and spent much of his free time keeping sharp. Perhaps he should-

His train of thought was interrupted by the questioning of one of the other travelers in the camp. “..How did we begin to travel together? Herr Rührgerät, are you really interested? I do not think it as interesting as you assume it to be. I traveled to Entariush, from Hamala by way of Lykos, shortly after I was knighted. While traveling the region alone, I chanced upon Amani. We became companions, and traveled back to Hamala together. I then began a mission from my order. Eventually we met Hazel, and then zwei became drei.” Flipping his longsword in hand, amber eyes trailed the edge as he brought it up to his face like a spyglass to check for a bend. “You will find a better story with my companions, Rührgerät. I fear I am just a knight. Sie haben meine Entschuldigung.”

He did not know this man well, but they seemed amicable enough. It did not mean he would give his full story, however. Looking over to the man's hand, he studied the bottle for a moment. The bottle of strange liquids was not something he was knowledgeable about, but it couldn’t be dangerous. He had his thumb on the opening after all. Err, too dangerous; Mihret watched the concoction explode in the man’s face, pulling away as the powder caked it’s creator’s facial features. “Herr, are you alright? Should I fetch you some water?”

BriiAngelic BriiAngelic AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa Elenion Aura Elenion Aura SilverFlight SilverFlight

• 673450c91cbee54a1421939de3992120.jpg

Interacting With:
    Mihret ( The Prophet The Prophet ), Hazel ( AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa ), Lucius ( simj26 simj26 ), Tate ( SilverFlight SilverFlight ), Oliver ( Elenion Aura Elenion Aura )
    ~ De Lyonesse Camp, Vaugeois ~
    ~ Evening || 10pm ~

Can't Catch A Break || Amani's CS File

Amani eyes scanned the area as he worked to take in the local fauna and flora. Maps could only hold so much information. His own records had been scarer in this area as they found themselves traveling with those from House de Lyonesse. He still kept them as faithful as he possibly could. This information may very well aid Kassemid in the future.

He took notice of the courtiers wondering if he should slip away to discuss with them the next leg of the journey. Despite their clear and irritating classism, they had their uses. Though they’d be lucky to not get themselves left to die with the utter lack of fighting skill and clearly bitting attitude to those keeping them safe. Especially with how quick they were to sling barbed words at Hazel who was likely more competent than both of the two put together.

“You must recount the tale of how you three met. Bandits, monsters, I have only briefly read your credits, but from the sounds of it you’ve all done quite a bit of living already!”

“..You will find a better story with my companions, Rührgerät. I fear I am just a knight. Sie haben meine Entschuldigung”

He only half listened in to the conversation lending an ear to the guarding of the camp. There may be strength in numbers but there was also weakness in overconfidence. Until he’d seen proof otherwise he would trust his back to Mihret and Hazel alone. He also didn’t feel comfortable at the thought of a stranger knowing more about him than he knew of them. Regarding matters of background perhaps but… well he supposed he couldn’t expect much discretion with the group. He took to finishing the last of his records on the shift in fauna before placing his records away in his satchel.

“Two hundred and twenty-two, three, four…Now five seconds exposed to open air and… I er, think it’s supposed to do that.”

He took a large step back hearing the hesitation in his voice. That sounded a lot like…a burst of powder proved his point entirely. He didn’t know if he respected his thirst for knowledge or found it annoying that he wouldn’t take precautions to put his full focus into it. Either way he’d learn from his consequences so it was no skin off his back.

“Herr, are you alright? Should I fetch you some water?”

“Might as well just head to dinner. From the smell preparations are already done. Hazel would you like to accomp-”

He turned on heel getting ready to walk off when he spotted a stranger in the corner of his eye. He took a pivot with his footwork drawing out his talwar as he aimed his body forwards towards what he considered an oncoming threat.

“Who are you, identify yours-”

As he set into the new stance and processed just who had made the sudden movement he eased up on his grip lowering the blade. Perhaps he was a little more tense traveling with strangers around.

“Oh, Lucius. Back from watch, care to join us for dinner then?”

Last edited:
IMG_8290.jpg
The golden lion banners of his house streamed in the crisp, evening breeze. Liveried attendants swarmed the small encampment like flies on a corpse, making ready, preparing both men and beast for the watchful night that had already fallen, as the darkness at the edges of camp deepened with each peal of the bell. After a long day's ride—for him, the knights, and a handful of courtiers who'd accompanied this party for one reason or another; the footmen had marched—the horses needed tending, and the men needed feeding. A watch was set on the surrounding treeline as a patrol was dispatched to comb the woods beyond on foot. Amidst the bustle of camp and the murmur of myriad disjointed conversation, Olivier stood both among and apart from it all. Though appearing perhaps somewhat out of place surrounding by all that wilderness, none could deny the fact that young lordling cut a rather striking figure as he stood there in all his splendor. Silhouetted by the light of the bonfire, Olivier de Lyonesse—the reason for this excursion, at least in part—stared into those flickering flames. Despite the hour, he remained in full riding gear, cinched up to his neck in a rich justaucorps à brevet, embroidered and trimmed with gold, underneath which he wore a high-collared frock the color of aged wisteria, and pale riding breeches tucked into a pair of fine leather boots that ended just below his knees.

And as he stared, unblinking, into those flames and reflected on the time that had passed since setting out from Lyonesse, the time that had led him to this wilderness, the wheels of his mind turned. The path that now stretched out before him, unfurling like the sea of golden lion banners that closed in around him, was not the one he'd chosen, but it was the one he would walk nonetheless. This trial would not best him, no more than the last, or the one before that, or...

The sudden plume of smoke from beside the fire roused Olivier from his self-imposed trance. Blinking, he held back the urge to chuckle at his friend's newfound complexion.

"Do be mindful of zee fire, Tate. Your concoctions may not mix well so close to an open flame."

As he spoke, flashing Tate a knowing half-smirk, Olivier turned his attention to the newest members of their retinue. Candidly, Olivier was pleased to have them. Mihret. Amani. Hazel. He had learned their names as soon as they'd shared them, committing them to memory, along with their faces. In time, they may prove useful cards that Olivier may choose to play in this little game of Uncle's.

The movement on the periphery also caught Olivier's eye, but rather than join Amani in questioning it, he remained silent, letting his hand rest comfortably atop the pommel of the rapier that hung from a woven braided belt around his waist.

Untitled777_20220317210718.png
"I got this, Miri!" Just as the knight finished his attempted telling of the story, a scantily-dressed Hazel popped his head out of a nearby bush. While a small yellow glow plucked twigs and leaves out of his thick long hair, he looked at the group with sparkling eyes. And what a pleasant sight it was! His three new friends and Mister Rear Gout, gathered around a fire! Hazel lunged forth then, snapping the branches caught on his itchy and worn cloak, rolling towards Tate's seat and landing on both knees. "You see, Her Rear Gout or something other, our meeting all began in the nick of danger and thrill!"

"Oh for crying—hold still!"

Hazel hopped onto the log, dropping to lie on his belly with only his arms keeping his face up and freely kicking the air. He looked towards Mihret and Amani. "So these fellas were wandering out and about. They'd been searching for a big fat scary odd little creature thingymajig; and they found it! It went like 'Ugh!' Then these two went all 'shuffle shuffle' away." With a jolt, Hazel erupted from his position, aiming fingers at the two others and still with the brightest smile he could muster. "This lovely knight and his prince knew they were in trouble, I could hear them quivering like 'Oh no, we're done for!' But it was not the end just yet! For I, Hazel, appeared just as the monster came forth! I went 'zoop,' and 'schmeck,' and the monster went 'ugh...' and died." Hazel broke into a fit of giggles, jumping off the log nearer to the fire—yet ever careful not to let it singe any of his loose garments. "And that is how we met!"

"That's not right at all!"
The yellow speck from earlier flew over to Hazel. Once it stopped, a clearer inspection would show the pouting face of his fairy friend, Joy Jumpymuse. "And I couldn't even understand most of what you said, anyway!"

He waved her off. "It's new slang, you 500-year-old fairies wouldn't get it!"

"I'm 217," she snapped. "And I really don't think—"

A miniature explosion, and a hue of blue.

If there was any lack of laughter, Hazel had it covered. The very sight of the blue'd Tate dropped the druid boy to the ground, rolling around with hands over his stomach as though it were aching. And it was—from laughter. "I guess you could say you 'blue' it!" He stopped rolling only to pound the floor with a fist.

Joy flew beside him, sighing. "Come on, Hazel..." she began with a smirk, "that's just 'blue' much!"

Now both of their laughter filled the air, though cut short by Amani's brief call for dinner. Following her odd cut-off, Hazel rose from his chortling. "Dinner! Oh boy, oh boy! I found some things to contribute to the cooking, by the by!" The druid boy fluttered away for the moment.

Joy followed suit, suddenly looking unamused. "Oh, don't tell me it's that..."

The pair left out of sight, going into some shrubbery. He emerged not too long after.

"Amani! Amani! Amani!" Hazel brushed past Olivier and Tate, dropping a few of the ingredients he carried in the basket of his two hands—which if the two people took notice, would find that the ingredients were large, sliming snails. "Amani! Ama—" Huh. Odd. They looked on edge about something; maybe the stranger wandering towards them... Hazel bent his head to the prince's ear. "Amani, do you think we can use these in dinner?" About a dozen of the snails must've been cradled in his hands. He didn't so much as blink as they slowly encroached to his wrists and along the arms.
unknown.png

Lucius
x6kvw3djx1571.jpg
Where are they? Where are they? His sword needed to be whet, his appetite sated. It had been days since he had last put another of the damned down, like the diseased pigs that they were. The sword that hung on his back felt heavy, as if it was urging him to go further, away from the travelers that he had been given coin to travel with. Surely, somewhere further in the encroaching darkness, he would find someone, or something, to bury forever, or leave for the wandering beasts to feast upon. He adjusted the strap of the sheath that held his sword on his shoulder. He must reign in this hunger for the time being. He would have to return to the encampment soon. The moon was to be making its rounds upon the sky soon, and, having seen no threat on the horizon, he supposed his excuse to leave their talks at camp was also coming to an end. He did not like any of them. The escorts that he accompanied often shot him looks when they assumed he was not looking, but a growl at their direction was enough cause to avert their gazes. He did not despise the people that he was escorting as much. They were…more acceptable. Perhaps it was because of their less sheltered upbringing or environs that they were used to.

He shook the thoughts away, like dog shedding fur. He was here to make sure they reached their destination. He was not here to think of the whos and the whys. His mind did attempt to wander again, however, when he saw the Kassemidian waving at him from the camp, inquiring if he was joining them for dinner. Attempting to not seem rude, he waved back, and, as he approached the dark skinned male, he shook his head. He made a few gestures and a grunt, insisting that he, as always, would be eating alone. He was no one, he was simply a revenant, still wandering the earth as an avenger for the fallen and a protector of those who still live. He had no face to the people without, and he preferred to keep it that way. He saw that the blonde camp leader had his hand to his sword, ready to draw. In response, Lucius jerked his thumb towards the sword at his back, as if to indicate that his was bigger, then waved dismissively, to attempt to pass his jab as a joke as he guffawed beneath his helmet.

Interacting With:
    Mihret ( The Prophet The Prophet ), Hazel ( AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa ), Lucius ( simj26 simj26 ), Tate ( SilverFlight SilverFlight ), Oliver ( Elenion Aura Elenion Aura )
    ~ Evening || 10pm ~

It's SHOW TIME! || Amani's CS File

"Amani, do you think we can use these in dinner?"

He was almost worried to look at what Hazel had managed to find. From his knowledge there were a few poisonous plants in the area, but few fauna which could be considered so. It being Hazel there was always the slim possibility he had encountered something venomous or disease carrying instead.

To his ease it seemed as though the other returned with various harmless species of snails. He let out a sigh of relief at the sight of them. Unluckily for the critters it seemed Hazel saw fit to bring them back alive. He gave Hazel a look of fond exasperation at his method of carrying said dinner back.

“I’m fairly certain they have finished dinner preparations, still snails are a delicacy in certain regions from my knowledge. Its a wonder how you managed to pick up so many. It’s worth bring back. Protein is protein and we should avoid being too picky on the road.”

At Lucius’ wave and gestures to be eating alone he took a side glance to Hazel’s snail venture. Would he accept the camp’s dinner? Or would Lucius be foraging similarly to how Hazel went about it? He gave a tilt of the head to the man pondering his demenour. He could understand wishing to retreat to one’s own company, especially with moments of vulnuarbilty.

Had he not met Mihret and Hazel he can’t say he wouldn’t have wound up with an extremely similar mindset.

“Lucius, would you at least accompany us to the campfire then? Even if you chose not to break bread with us it wouldn’t be too much to come grab a bite. Besides I’m sure Hazel’s dying to share his haul and… I have a feeling seldom few others are dying to eat it.”

Mihret Vivar
Ritter von Sankt Friedwart

De Lyonesse Camp
Mihret.jpg
=============================

His offer of water was immediately followed by a nickname he could not mistake, for the familiar form of Hazel appeared and took charge of the story regarding their group. For a moment he watched him embellish and expressively recount their time, before looking away. That was alright, he did not consider himself much of an entertainer anyway. Calloused hands returned to their work, laying the finishing touches to the day’s maintenance without much pause, save for the times that he was in earshot of his friend’s horrendous use of his language.
“...I do not think…It’s Rührg… that is…I believe you are....” could quietly be heard accompanying Hazel’s story, before he eventually just gave up and focused on his sword.

As conversation livened and a back and forth began, Mihret simply cleaned with a silent focus. In his dedication he failed to notice footsteps, and the chance to otherwise make the others aware of them. Emotions bristled for a flash, and Mihret’s dark eyes found their source while taking a cloth to the guard and pommel. Lucius was a quiet sort, but he did not mind it. At times, they were just as silent when it came to duty. Perhaps he could even see them as a friend, if he knew more than their name and their equipment. As such, he did not make any show of changing his conduct as they drew closer, watching Amani sheath their sword and begin talk of nails with Hazel.

Finished, he brought his blade up to catch some of the light of the fire, sliding it into a scabbard with a satisfying thud before tying it at the hip. A well maintained weapon always improved his mood, as expected as it was that they became bloody and whatnot. Perhaps he was worrying earlier for nothing. Still in a darkly colored gambeson and riding gear, he could not fully allow himself to fully relax, but at least his nerves could rest easy for the moment. Soon conversation turned to dinner, and admittedly Mihret was just now becoming aware of his own hunger. And so he looked toward where food was being prepared, a dinner he hoped did not include snails. Standing up, he looked over to his two companions. “I can fetch your shares, wenn du möchtest? It is not an issue. Eh, the ones without the schnecken.He winced, pointing to the snails. “I do not imagine the meals were cooked with them in consideration as gewürze.”

BriiAngelic BriiAngelic AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa Elenion Aura Elenion Aura SilverFlight SilverFlight simj26 simj26

Tate
"Oh I am fine, please, do not worry. The substance at this stage is quite harmless." Tate reassured the knight happily.
On being admonished by his close friend Tate waved him off. "Oh tish-tosh. I wouldn't mix flammable potions around a campfire, what sort of novice puffer do you take me for?..I already learned that lesson the first year."

Upon Hazel's pun Tate stopped and looked around, he stared for just a moment, before bursting into a fit of laughter.
"That..ha! Is funnier than it has a right to be." He was still grinning when he looked up again.
"You have a wonderful way with words master Hazel. You truly do."
He nearly overbalanced on his log when Hazel brushed past them to show Amani his spoils. Tate nearly dropped his vial but saved it just in time. He shot Olivier a smile.

"They certainly are an interesting bunch." Tate said as he rose, tucking the vial into the pouch at his waist.
"To be honest, I feel safer with our new friends." At this Tate did not mean the bandits they had encountered on the road a few days before, but the guards in Olivier's retinue. He just couldn't bring himself to trust them.

The stranger at the edge of the camp was helmeted, and drew some attention. Tate watched him cautiously, and though he smiled at his new companions, he made sure to keep close to Olivier until he was sure the man meant no harm.

When Mihret asked about dinner Tate replied in his own tongue with a smile. "Ich werde mein Essen ohne Schnecken einnehmen, danke."
Languages had been an absolute necessity at the university, and Tate was proud of the skill.
"But perhaps I could assist? I promise to keep my alchemical endeavours far away from our dinner plates eh?" He chuckled.
"Actually, it's about all the help I can offer on a trip like this. I'm not much of a fighter you see, couldn't swing a sword to save my life, but I can mix potions. Give me five minutes and an open flame and I can mix you anything from a whizpopper to a healing draught."

Perhaps he was trying a bit too hard, but after what happened with the bandits, Tate was more determined than ever to prove his usefulness.

BriiAngelic BriiAngelic The Prophet The Prophet AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa simj26 simj26 Elenion Aura Elenion Aura simj26 simj26

Last edited:
Olivier de Lyonesse
ZdGPDKP.png
Olivier clucked his tongue, deftly avoiding the scantily-clad druid as he made his ambling way—arms full of conspicuously acquired escargot—past him and Tate. While he was glad that his old friend was warming up to their new traveling companions, Olivier had not yet seen enough, heard enough, learned enough to make his final judgment. Though to be certain, some help was more appreciated than none at all; he was, after all, in no position to refuse their aid even if he'd wanted to. There were too many threats on the road to contend with already, from both within and without.

"Uncle would hate them," Olivier mused aloud as he watched Hazel retreat toward the half-circle of tents with his haul, taking no small degree of pleasure imagining the look of abject horror plastered across his Duke-uncle's face should Olivier return to Lyonesse after this long crusade, not only very much alive, but also in the company of a handful of barbarous, pagan savages, a Hamalan knight, and a witch-prince hailing from the lands of the far-east, where magic runs as rivers, where witches and mystics hold sway over the minds of King-and-Emperor alike. Oh, Olivier very much hoped he'd live to see that look, right before he drove his sword through his traitorous kinsman's heart.

Though, pleasant thoughts aside, he did not exactly share Tate's optimism. A feeling of safety, even in the company of supposed allies, was a privilege Olivier could seldom afford. Caution and good sense had saved his life more times than his blade.

And even if he'd wanted to feel safe amidst this rabble, the measure of these travelers—and their worth to him, to his cause—had yet to fully be taken. Olivier had his doubts that they could be trusted, let alone whether they were the precise tool he needed to topple a regime, but he'd made more out of less in the past.

The druid—Hazel—was an oddity. A Sotiran tribesman of the Eonach Coillte, whose sense of fashion left little to the imagination. Olivier wondered if bribing him with a shiny stone might suffice. Though, more likely, the answer laid with his compatriots: Amani, the witch-boy with the bearing of a noble, and Mihret, the Hamalan knight, whose features Olivier could do with examining more closely. The way to a knight's loyalty was clear, though the Sultanate's son would likely take more coaxing. It was a good thing no one had ever accused Olivier of laziness.

The silent wolf—Lucius—was the most difficult to read. Perhaps because there was nothing written at all. Simplicity is seldom simple. A generously hefty purse of gold might be all it took. Then again, though Olivier's coiffers were deep, he'd lose a bidding war to his uncle if it came to it. Perhaps there was something more to the silent swordsman, something to be leveraged. Olivier had deteced a hint of humor in their small exchange, earlier. Humor was typically a sign of intelligence, if only a modicum of it.

But there would be more than enough time for all of that. The road, after all, was long. And now was the time for food.

"Nonsense. Zee cook can make excellent use of zose, Hazel." Olivier said, clapping for the attention of his retinue. It was time to eat.

The rest of the encampment looked at their lord and leader as he interacted with the rather strange companions he had gathered on their short travel thus far. Most of the soldiers, many of them conscripted men-at-arms, were not really interested in the eccentricities of their new companions and the "high born" knights and courtiers did not see why they should interact with savages like Hazel or the Brannorian that calls himself "Lucius", however, among them was a knight called Percival, an oddity of a knight due to his humongous height and frame. The vibrant redheaded knight silently awaited for his lord to stop interacting with his new companions before approaching him.

Olivier de Lyonesse said:
"Nonsense. Zee cook can make excellent use of zose, Hazel."

As the knight stood next to his liege, the nearby man-at-arms serving as a cook let out a sigh, as cooking Escargots was not particularly easy to do on a marching camp. "Excuse me, your highness." said Ser Percival, Olivier noticed the knight was holding a map of the area, that looked comically tiny of on his ogrishly hands. "I know we had this talk before but I wanted to discuss the planned path ahead one more time, perhaps having everyone present will help us a bit more." Olivier watched as the knight knelt besides, laying the map on the floor. The contents of the map showed the various independent cities in the Union of Free Cities. "Once we cross the border and Joseph's Strait our first stop will be Waterham, sadly we won't be able to stay there for long as the company must have passed through here first and I doubt that we will find them there still." said the knight while looking at the others. "Still, we might be able to get some information from the constables there." Ser Percival paused for a moment to look at the map again. "If I am not mistaken, we might be two, maybe three days behind them but... maybe some of you monsieur's would know how to properly calculate the distance between their departure from Eran and ours from Lyonesse."

Olivier and the rest of the gang followed the knights sausage fingers as he dragged them through the Parelmeer road. "Hm... if I'm not mistaken, which I could be, they are making a longer stop in Guildtown, with no offence to the other cities, they have nothing to offer in terms of scholarly pursuits... but Guildtown? They are definitely stopping there for a while, so we should meet them there. However..." everyone noted that the knights face looks a bit concerned. "I forgot to mention this, my liege... remember that small hamlet surrounding St. Monique's chapel, the one that we passed through this morning? I overheard from a traveler that the region surrounding Guildtown was a victim to a small Mana Maelstrom and that strange creatures roam the woods... let us hope the expeditionary company does not get destroyed on the way there by a Fachan or, Gaia's mercy, a Manticore!" The thought of fighting such an "evil" and "demonic" beast like a Manticore made many soldiers in the camp uncomfortable. A small army is often needed to kill those creatures. "I... well, that thought aside, does any of you have any questions?" asked the towering knight as he got back up, looking down at everyone.

Lucius
x6kvw3djx1571-jpg.991417
He was not unaccustomed to the kindness of strangers. If anything, he depended on it. He appreciated the gesture of kindness from the regal young man, but it would not invade upon his vows were he to allow himself to be seen by the public eye. Then again, it would be considered rude to deny an invitation. Perhaps he would simply clutch onto whatever bowls of food he was offered, and allowed the conversations to deepen, and, once out of mind's eye, he would remove himself from their presence to consume his food, alone. The food would have gotten cold by then, but he was used to that. Finally, he shrugged and sighed, shaking his head in defeat. He would let the princeling twist his arm, just this once. It was always the nice ones that managed to do so. Just like his beloved, once upon a time. His ruminations were interrupted by a giant man heading into their gathering. An odd choice. Most of the folk in the encampment kept a wide berth away from them, for reasons unbeknownst to him. Low-born savages are human too, are they not? He had yet to put their heads at the threat of his sword, and yet they stare at him with disdain. Nonetheless, the interrupting man eased into their midst, and laid out a map of their progress as well as the details of their advance. Lucius listened quietly.

A Manticore? Great beasts, those were. Lucius had yet to test his blade upon one, but he avoided classifying creatures as his marks, for good reason. Beasts were not 'evil' by choice. It was their nature to hunt and eat. If contracted to do so, he would cull them, but without joy. They were simply in the way of his next paycheck, his next meal, and his next bed to sleep in. He folded his arms across his chest and gave a grunt. Whatever it was, however they chose to proceed, he would still be beholden to his contract, and he would do his utmost to carve a path for those around him. He looked towards the others that had gathered. The knight was capable enough, he thought, and the blonde lordling knew his way around a sword. He was more worried for the princeling, the strange girl of the woods, and the bespectacled young man that cowered behind the lordling. He finally shrugged again, towards the group in general, as if to ask 'So? What are you going to do?'.

Interacting With:
    Mihret ( The Prophet The Prophet ), Hazel ( AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa ), Lucius ( simj26 simj26 ), Tate ( SilverFlight SilverFlight ), Oliver ( Elenion Aura Elenion Aura ) Knight ( EdwardDewey98 EdwardDewey98 )
    ~ Evening || 10pm ~

PSYNCIN' IN THE CAPTaiN || Amani's CS File

He may have only received a mere shrug and sigh but that alone was more than enough coming from the more silent companion. He gave a bright smile back. Not quite fully genuine but more than pleased enough, though noone other than Hazel or Mihret knew him well enough to tell the difference. It did well to know the most you could about those you traveled with. In his world distance was nothing more than a looming knife ready to gut one in the back.

One that aught be willfully balanced. Too far and one lost sight of the danger… too close and one lost the ability to recognize the threat it provided.

“I can fetch your shares, wenn du möchtest? It is not an issue. Eh, the ones without the cehsekcnn. I do not imagine the meals were cooked with them in consideration as uzwgeooe.”

It always took a moment for him to register the other’s words when he mixed in the Hamalan in with Ællian. With Ællian being his third language and Hamalan being as arcane to him as the Malestrom itself he would rather just read the others body language. Luckily enough he could process it well enough even with the missing words.

“No, we all have feet. Besides isnt it better to eat with the group?”

He could keep eyes on others that way ensuring nothing untoward wound up in any of their bowls, something he didn’t think Mihret would even assume others may do. While he himself was respected well enough he dare not think what they would do if they thought they could get away with it.

"HIC ERDWE INEM NESSE HNEO NNECSEKCH ENEEMHINN EAKDN."

Ah yes more of the arcane string of what one could assume to be words. He didn’t even attempt to figure this one out. He muttered lowly under his breath in his own native tongue.

نتعلم لغة مشتركة من أجل لا شيء

"Actually, it's about all the help I can offer on a trip like this. I'm not much of a fighter you see, couldn't swing a sword to save my life, but I can mix potions. Give me five minutes and an open flame and I can mix you anything from a whizpopper to a healing draught."

He let out a sigh at that one. There really were some so blatantly open with their own lack? Even if it was just a turn of phase… this one should rethink their choices if they thought they thought like that. He faced the other before speaking, his tone mellow and even hiding the disgust in such an answer.

“You shouldn’t be so open about your own faults. You paint a target at yourself as either for weakness or resentment. Time brings experience but knowledge is taken not given. When you are faced with the choice of fight or die will you still dare to call yourself not a fighter? If you cannot swing a sword to save your own life you aught work on a skill that can. In a matter of your own life, you may not be given the five minutes.”

He didn’t so much as give the other another glance instead focusing on the knight that had come to interact with them. While he may have been interested in another scholar he had no such interests in one that might not live to see their own footprint in history.

"I forgot to mention this, my liege... remember that small hamlet surrounding St. Monique's chapel, the one that we passed through this morning? I overheard from a traveler that the region surrounding Guildtown was a victim to a small Mana Maelstrom and that strange creatures roam the woods... let us hope the expeditionary company does not get destroyed on the way there by a Fachan or, Gaia's mercy, a Manticore!"

Another Maelstrom. He was no stranger to its devastation. Even a small one needed to be treated with caution lest their overconfidence be their death wish.

"I... well, that thought aside, does any of you have any questions?"

He wondered what questions they would possibly think that they could answer without proper scouting. Then again he didn’t quite know which path they were attempting to follow. He took a look to the others and saw Lucius shrug off the information. He supposed it was as good a reaction as any to the speculative nature of the knight.

“This traveler… did he give a length of time since the region was hit? Were there any obvious wounds on their personage that would help get a better understanding of what may lie ahead? If all we have is the speculation and an account marred by distance of a lone traveler then theres nothing to do but exercise the same caution expected of any travels.”

Untitled777_20220317210718.png
Hazel looked between Amani and Olivier, and even Mihret who did not seem so enthused by the snails—and beamed. "Oh, it's fine, I can prepare these guys myself! But I appreciate you agreeing! You as well, Her Rear Gout's Friend!" He giggled to himself. As Lucius (or as Hazel knew as "Peanut" for always being armored, helmeted, and quiet) approached, the cloaked boy froze, conspicuously glancing between Amani and him as they conversed—at least by their own standards. Judging by Amani's change of expression, he'd won; and now was met with Hazel's clapping and his countenance mirroring that of a proud parent. "Incredible, Amani! You got Peanut to come with us!" He would've thrown his arms around the prince if not for the abundance of snails he still carried.

"Hazel, what is with you!" a squeaky voice shrieked. "These are important people! You can't give them silly nicknames!"

Hazel pouted up at the yellow glowing fairy. "But Joy, it's not like you know their names, either!"

Joy laughed with a hint of smugness. "That's because I'm a fairy. Human names just aren't worth remembering!"

"For someone named Joy, you sure are joy-less."

While his fairy friend giggled, he glanced down at the writhing snails. They should probably be dropped off rather than allowed to roam on his skin. Hazel flashed a grin at the group, then running towards the cooking area. At the same time, dropping the "ingredients" for the disgruntled cook and plucking off the ones squirming on his body, one of the knights—an absolute unit of a man—approached Her Rear Gout's Friend and recited a whole important-sounding thing. At the end, Hazel raised his hand. "Hi! Yeah, I got a question! Where's the butter, and do you guys have any mushrooms? I can make a really nice sauce to go with the snails!" The druid boy bent down to scrub his hands against the dirt, ridding of the slime. "We oughta be well-fed if we're gonna go against a big, scary monster after all..."

Hazel then felt something squirm across his chest. Upon plucking off the slimy creature, he trembled. "OH MY GOODNESS!" he cried. Hazel shot back up; in his hand was... a snail. "This guy's shell is completely red!" The cloak-donning druid thrust his hand with the snail right in front of the cook's face; then, excitedly glancing around, ran up to everybody that entered his sights to wave the critter in their face and shout the same thing. "Look! Look! His shell is red! You see this? It means good luck!"

His tirade ended at the knight Percival, as he failed to reach up to his face with the snail. His excitement was already going back to normal, anyway, as he sat breathless. "Anyway, his name will be Muck! My newest friend! With Muck, the red-shelled snail of luck on our side, we'll get through whatever obstacle we face! Be not afraid, everyone!" he yelled.

Hazel kissed the snail, a light brush of the lips. He brought Muck towards his collarbone, letting it latch onto his body like a suction. "There you go, little guy..." Hazel gently stroked the shell with a finger. With that, he whipped back around. "Knight person! No wait, that's everyone—um, Big Boy! Reddy! To answer your question for questions, I do not have a question for your question, or, well, at least a question related to your monster concerns! I'm just hungry!"
unknown.png

Tate

"Uncle would hate them."

Tate heard his friend say.
"Ha! Then they must be decent."

The audible sigh made him turn, to be caught up in the critical stare of one of the new companions he had just finished praising.
Amani had been the object of much curiosity for him up until now. He was elegant, and handsome, and had the bearing of someone in perfect control. He was every bit a prince, like Olivier, and to an extent shared some traits, but where Olivier had a warmth under his cold, noble facade, Tate couldn't see anything like
that hiding beneath this royal countenance.

The words cut him, but he kept his head level, meeting the prince's eyes as he spoke. It were as if all his secret insecurities had justbeen painstakingly dissected, pinned and presented back to him for all to see.

He nodded in silence as Amani finished, a smile on his lips as he looked down, whether bitter or ironic, it was hard to say.
"Perhaps you're right." He began. "Perhaps...perhaps I have no business on a venture like this. I don't have skill with a sword that is very painfully true...but...when standing on the precipice of battle, or at the edge of the great savage wild, or gazing into the maw of the most ferocious beast. Was it ever a sword that kept you there?" Tate's smile turned challenging then as he shook his head.

"No. It was courage, and courage I have. That and the loyalty to a friend, that I would follow him to the very gates of the underworld if he asked me to go."
Tate adjusted his glasses. "Some things, highness, are worth more than a sword."
When summoned, Tate started to follow the others.
"Besides," He added with a cheerful spring in his step. "You haven't even seen my fireworks."

Tate listened in silence as Percival gave his report.
"I could probably give you an accurate estimate, provided I have a rough number of the party, how many horses, footmen etcetera."
Amani started with some good points.
"Amani is right. If we have any in our party skilled in tracking, I suggest sending a small scout team, see if we can pick up signs of any unnatural beasts. Perhaps we can avoid them. What do you think Ollie?"

BriiAngelic BriiAngelic The Prophet The Prophet AriAriAbabwa AriAriAbabwa simj26 simj26 Elenion Aura Elenion Aura simj26 simj26

Amani said:
“This traveler… did he give a length of time since the region was hit? Were there any obvious wounds on their personage that would help get a better understanding of what may lie ahead? If all we have is the speculation and an account marred by distance of a lone traveler then theres nothing to do but exercise the same caution expected of any travels.”

"As I've said before m'lord, the traveler was talking with someone else and we were simply passing through their settlement, so I do not know much." said the immense knight while looking down at the map, trying to figure out where in the path ahead might be affected by a mana maelstrom. "But I do know that no matter the length of time, a maelstrom always leaves behind some scar in the land, and with it, a terrifying creature only the most intrepid of Runeseekers or Planetouched would dare to hunt alone." He then looked at Amani while rolling their map again. "We will do everything in our power to keep my liege and your highness safe, lord Amani, you have our promise." said Percival with a toothy smile. "Although I believe you are well protected with Ser Mihret at your side." He added with a friendly grin.

Tate said:
"I could probably give you an accurate estimate, provided I have a rough number of the party, how many horses, footmen etcetera. Amani is right. If we have any in our party skilled in tracking, I suggest sending a small scout team, see if we can pick up signs of any unnatural beasts. Perhaps we can avoid them. What do you think Ollie?"

"I'm afraid that we do not know their exact numbers, master Tatum." said Percival as he looked down at the scholar. "We were informed that the company would be recruiting on the road, so it is likely they have increased in numbers during their stay on Waterham." Tatum nodded as the knight gently stored the map in his satchel. "But your suggestion will not go unheard of, master Tatum, if my liege authorizes it, we will have Ser Gillot and Ser Poncellet scout ahead." He said while eyeing the two, clearly annoyed knights sitting nearby. "Merde! Why don't you do it, hein?" said one of the knights, to which Percival answered with a friendly smile. "Because I don't have a horse, and you do, les mon ami." The two knights grumbled, but a quick glance from Olivier quickly shut both men down.

Hazel said:
"Knight person! No wait, that's everyone—um, Big Boy! Reddy! To answer your question for questions, I do not have a question for your question, or, well, at least a question related to your monster concerns! I'm just hungry!"

"You are a lad after my own heart, master Hazel!" said Ser Percival as he patted his armored belly, he did not seem to mind Hazel's silly nicknames, in fact he appeared to enjoy them, much to the dismay of his fellow knights. "Still, whatever challenges we have ahead of ourselves should be taken seriously, mon ami!" He added as he looked down at Hazel as the young Sotiran lad played with the snail with the red shell. "After all... Fachans, Manticores or whatever magical spawns emerges are not to be taken lightly, we must be ready for anything, hopefully, the Expeditionary Company of the Cartographer's Guild will have the same preparedness we have..." He added, while he did not want to question the main company, he didn't know who was leading them, and if they were taking the necessary precautions to fight against a magical creature, nevertheless, he and many in the company had high hopes that the expeditionary company was safe and hopefully, ready to welcome them into their ranks. The half-Firbolg knight looked up at the night sky, the crescent moon was not visible, which meant it was midnight. "Ah, but look at the sky! We should be heading to bed soon, I believe one of the soldiers will be taking the first watch tonight." With that, the towering knight walked away from the group, but he stopped for a moment to look back at Olivier. "Oh, sorry! I am such a scatterbrain... rest well, your highness." He said with a little bow before head to his oddly small tent, leaving the group to their thoughts around the campfire.

The soldiers and skeptical knights looked into the fire with uncertainty, they were being sent to an uncertain fate all because they were the vassals of a young lordling related to a greedy little bastard, a young man they did not entirely trust either. Little did they know, that the adventure they were about to embark was like none other they've ever been part of - and Olivier and his entourage would be a key part of it.

• End of the Intermission •

The sound of clanking pots and ironware had startled nearly everyone in the company but if that did not wake up the stragglers, Pepin's commanding voice would do it. "Venez tout le monde! C'mon! Wake up!" He shouted as everyone emerged from their tents after that long and rather depressing night, luckily for Deveraux, nobody tried to sneak up to his tent and push a stake through his heart. "Come on lads and lasses! Pack everything up, everything!" Shouted the veteran mercenary like he owned the camp, causing confusion even among members of the main party.

The confused Syllannan, Gsera and Sentry all looked at Cecilia, who sat comfortably on a wagon studying her cartographing equipment, wondering what had sparked this, she simply grinned in response as she summoned her Fae dragon familiar. "Have fun~!" She said before getting back into her work, right as they were about to help, Pepin approaches the trio holding a few tools. "Come on you gawkers! It's early in the morning, everyone needs to help pulling down the tents! Move it!" He shouted as he pushed Syll and Gsera away, he did not even try to push Sentry, but instead gave her a commanding, but sort of playful look. "C'mon big girl, you too." He said, the amazon simply shrugged and followed instructions, nothing else for her to do this early anyways. "Fais le plus vite! The faster we are, the sooner we will get to Riverham! Does everyone remember the route I talked about before leaving Waterham? We are stopping in Riverham, then in Ulham and then head into Meadowshire or Copseshire! Our last stop will be Parelstad before we get to Gildestad! Remember that everyone!"

"I would work a bit faster if I were you!" shouted Alberto from his tent, who was only wearing leather leggings at the moment, as he was waiting for Pot and Waylond to help him put on his armor. "He seems like a fierce instructor!" He added with a chuckle before getting back into his tent. The company wasn't used to have Pepin shouting like this, so many just looked at each other a bit confused before continuing to work. There was a LONG week of travelling ahead of them.

• Day 1 •
Random Event Roll: 1d20 = 6

A calm and peaceful night preceding the morning allowed the company to get a good night’s rest. With everyone in a particularly motivated mood to press onward further into the territories near the Free Cities, the early hours were not particularly eventful apart from a hearty breakfast comprising of many of the food items that the Company had received from Waterham. In particular were the use of onions to be fried up and salted as a side plate with sausages and potatoes that put everyone in a good mood.

Though it became clear that one of the fighters had too much to eat out of gluttonous delight and spent a good half hour heaving the contents of his stomach out as the Company packed up camp and prepared to move on. On the road further on, Syllannan and a couple of the other fighters and archers came across an Elwetritsch a bit off the beaten path. Hoping to score some easy food for the Company, they were instead met with an intense gaze from the creature.

Elwetritsch.png

A storm in their stomachs would ensue and sent them rushing away to try to prevent themselves from emptying their own stomachs contents, though some failed to do so in time as they puked while they ran back to the Company to inform them of their encounter as the creature was likely to follow them out of annoyance for intruding on its grazing. Fortunately, Sera was able to intervene by using her druidic connection to the wilds to gently suggest the creature to return back to the wilds and leave well enough alone.

•Syllannan became temporarily nauseous. •

• Riverham •
Riverham.png

Having traveled some time through the forests along the main road it was a bit of relief to some in the Company to see some form of civilization in the form of Riverham, the next destination of the Company following their experiences in Waterham. Riverham was rather quaint in comparison to the bustling streets and density of its nomenclature counterpart, as it was more of a large village than it was a town.

Mostly there were large fields surrounding the settlement as farmlands and some fisheries by the nearby lake, but there were also some artisanal shops available as well as some traditional houses. But unlike Waterham the residents here were less unwelcoming of foreigners to their lands, although a few strange glances were given to members of the Company that were more exotic in appearance.

Yet there was hospitality to be found here as the local tavern provided drinks, and the apothecary provided remedial herbs for Syll and the others who were still feeling a strong sense of queasiness following their experience with the Elwetritsch. It was a pleasant stay for the evening for the Company and in the following morning, the Company left without troubles and pushed further on their journey.

• Day 2 •
Random Event Roll: 1d20 = 9

A cloudy and gray overcast was a sign of things to come, unbeknownst to the Company as they prepared to travel another day. It had rained the night previously, and the weather showed no signs of sunlight anytime soon. As such, the mood was more tempered and filled with annoyances as people dealt with soggy soil and a bit of mud in their paths. Many of the fighters grumbled as they found themselves getting their trousers dirty from splashes as they pushed onwards.

At one point, a carriage had to halt as an axel was stuck in the mud and needed some help from other members of the company. Dakarai and Petrocles used their size and strength together to ease the process, though it was still difficult to deal with the terrain, and get the Company moving again back on track.

On their journey forward, they did come across a small village nestled between large farming plots that extended far and wide. However, what was expected to be a short travel through the village turned out to be anything but as the residents of such an isolated region became agitated at the sight of many non-humans and non-hobs, particularly against those like Gawain and Calocis. A small mob quickly formed as they hurled insults at many of the company members, and even getting in the way of the Company from time to time as they tried to travel.

Unwelcomed.png

This all culminated in a rock being thrown, hitting one of the fighters in the head with an audible crack. His body crumpled to the ground and his compatriots quickly rushed to him, only to see him dead. This very nearly caused a fight as, now enraged, the fighters drew swords on the villagers but were quickly pulled away by Pepin and Alberto to de-escalate the situation and ushered the company as quickly as they could out of the village limits. Having taken the body of their fallen comrade with them, a quick burial was given before the Company moved on from their loss.

• Gautier (Fighter) was killed by the villagers! •

After having buried Gautier, the fighter killed by the stone thrown by hostile villagers, the company happened across a walled settlement by the name of Ulham. But unlike with Riverham, there was an aura of hesitation at first glance to enter. Many in the company were on edge with regards to how they might be viewed by the residents there, given its proximity to that hamlet they had encountered. Out of fear of a potential re-enactment of the same situation they had faced earlier this stop was abandoned, and the Company went around and pushed onwards.

• Meadowshire •
Meadowshire.png

And so the company headed away from Ulham until it disappeared entirely from view, leaving the Company in the wilderness again in their travels, only for their fortunes to turn later in the day. The rain had stopped and a glimmer of sunshine began to pierce through the forecast, and a small fishing village appeared in the distance. A small sign post giving directions named the place Meadowshire, and it appeared to be a calm little slice of civilization comprised of Humans, Hobs, and a small population of Orks.

Although their entrance was peaceful, the general mood for many in the Company was sour given the experience with the hamlet was still fresh in their minds. Fortunately, the village-folk here were polite and rather warm given the situation. And once the nature of the Company was explained in a simple manner to the villagers, warm bowls of fish soup was passed around to its members. This raised the moods somewhat as warm food in people’s bellies helped with morale, and the night was spent camping near the village limits before heading out once more at dawn’s break.

• Day 3 •
Random Event Roll: 1d20 = 19

A particularly uneventful morning preluded the day’s events, save for a few of the horses managing to wander off and thus requiring some members of the company to fetch them back to the carriages and wagons. Large fluffy clouds dotted the sky as the company pushed onwards towards their next destination, only to come across something truly remarkable. First noticed by a few of the scouts and then reported back to Cecilia who would then investigate herself, the Company would come across what she identified as a Swadi burial barrow.

Swadi Barrow Entrance.png

While not too dissimilar to the one they had come across prior on their way to Waterham, this one was noticeably larger and more robust with the potential for more below the surface. After some deliberation, the decision was made to explore the barrow as well as to rid it of any potential creatures that might inhabit its depths. It was large enough to allow for a decently sized group to enter and explore, allowing for strength in numbers as Cecilia and Alberto led the others and some other members of the company down into the depths.

The darkness was ever present in the depths of this ancient barrow and became ever more powerful the deeper the group pushed. Fortunately, the use of magic from one of the company wizards as well as the lighting of old torches allowed for some visibility within the earthy burial grounds. The stone indicated many years of wear as cracks and moss lined the walls, floor, and ceiling of the barrow as the company pushed further.

Goblin Ambush.png

However, they would soon find out that they were not alone within the barrow as they entered the main chamber of the barrow. The air was suddenly pierced with growls and howls as those who adventured inside found themselves beset by a large tribe of Goblins! In the fighting that ensued, although the goblins had an advantage in numbers, were repelled by the group through strength and wit. Syll and Alberto would use wide, cleaving attacks to create space for the rest of the company while Gsera, Kastalli, and Anija would use their magics to push away and divide the goblin group.

The lion’s share of the fighting was done by Petrocles however as he struck and wounded nearly five goblins in total. As such, realizing what they were up against, the Goblin tribe retreated with their wounded through the crags in the barrow to lick their wounds and leaving the company by themselves. This also meant that the same goblins left behind their valuables, such as silver coins and valuables as well as some provisional supplies for the company to use on the road.

Currency.png
• The company has picked a substantial amount of copper and silver coins, amounting to 347 denarii! •

It was clear that this barrow was being used by these goblins as a base for their group and had been here undisturbed and unfound until today. Upon inspecting the main barrow chamber further, there were small, simple beds and other amenities that had been established in the area to signify that this place was being lived in. There was also the observation of a stairway leading below into what appeared to be catacombs that extended further underground.

As such, the company pressed into the depths as they descended into an even darker and more undisturbed part of the barrow. Here the air was stale and dry, compared to the more earthy and natural smells of the main barrow up above, as the stones here had roots growing through them rather than the mosses and cracks up above. A few members grew rather nervous as ancient corpses that had been buried here lined the walls in crevices to house their worldly possessions, many of which were rusted and rotted beyond use.

Spider Attack.png

What the company did not realize however was that there was another threat down here that was looking for an easy snack. A large mutated spider had been crawling on the ceiling of the catacombs above them in silence, waiting for the time to struck until it lashed out at Gawain! A deep bite connected from its fangs and stabbed into Gawain, but fortunately such pain did not register for a being such as him as the company quickly realized what was happening and focused to ward off the creature.

However at the first sign of danger, as well as direct light from the group, the creature released its grasp and scurried off with an unnatural speed back into the depths of the catacombs before anything could be done.

Continuing onwards, seeing as no one was hurt severely from the encounter, the group within the barrow catacombs continue to adventure forward until coming across a larger more circular room. Here there were many more bodies lining the walls within the crevices, but there was also something else here. As soon as the company stepped foot into and began investigating the room, the rattling of bones and clattering of ancient weapons and armor pierced the air.

Many of the corpses began to shift and move, turning from their resting positions and began to stand upright. Their decayed or nearly decayed corpses prepared for battle, seemingly angered at the intrusion and gave off unnatural roars as they charged! In here, vicious close-quarters combat would ensue as several fighters that had accompanied the group down below were wounded. Gawain would lob spells at the undead, shattering their bones and rendering them useless while Devereaux would sit in the back of the chamber and pick off several of the undead with his bow with precision headshots.

Calocis would be the one to deal the final blow against the barrow wights however through use of the shadows of the catacombs against its undying inhabitants. Dark tendrils popped out of the ground and wrapped themselves around several wights and sent them flying into either walls or other wights, dealing with the problem at hand and ending the fight decisively.

With all the wights in the area having been dealt with, the company quickly looked at and tended to the wounds sustained by some of the fighters. Thankfully, none of them were life threatening and thus were patched with bandages relatively quickly. As a result, the company was ready to go shortly thereafter as pushed even further as another hallway led out of the chamber.

Shortly after leaving however, the company came across a corpse that was crumpled against one of the walls of the corridor. It was relatively fresh compared to the ancient corpses here, and its equipment signified that of an adventurer who ventured too deeply for their own good. It was a solemn reminder of the dangers that were here for some in the company as a few of the fighters took off their helmets in respect.

Dead Adventurer.png

The adventurer’s equipment was taken off and a small cairn was made atop his body as a makeshift burial for the person, and Alberto delivered a small prayer for their soul to find peace. Although this person was dead, their equipment would come to serve others in life as a set of leather armor, a perfectly kept heater shield, and a well-maintained steel sword were now in the possession of the company.

Leather Helmet.png
• Leather Helmet: +1 HP •
Leather Armor.png
• Leather Armor: +1 HP •
Leather Gloves.png
• Leather Gloves: +1 HP •
Leather Boots.png
• Leather Boots: +1 HP •
Steel Shortsword.png
• Steel Short Sword: +1 Melee Attack •
Heater-removebg-preview.png
• Heater Shield: +1 HP •

Once finished, the company continued their adventure and pushed into the final depths of the catacombs. After a few minutes of traveling through the corridor where they had found the dead adventurer, as well as passing by more burial chasms and crevices, the group happened upon a much grander burial hall with more burials lining its walls but also at its center a stone burial coffin.

What differed from the rest of the catacombs however was that there was a sliver of natural light beaming from the ground above from some cracks in the rocks above down onto the central burial within the room itself. It gave off a sort of natural beauty to such a hallowed place. It also allowed the group to see without the need for their own light. Such a finding was incredible, but it the jubilation felt was cut short as more wights awoke from their rest.

The coffin at the center of the room burst open and a more ornately armored and decorated wight came out, brandishing a well-crafted axe in its hands. Clearly, this once was a Swadi Chieftain of great importance for appearances alone as it let out a rattle as to call the other wights to battle in defense of its tomb. At its beckoning, the wights charged at the group and began to fight!

Barrow Wights.png

As the space they were fighting in was wider in scale, everyone became involved in the clash as the sounds of steel and yelling filled the air. More wounds were inflicted upon company members, including more fighters and even a few of the archers, while the company struck back as Alberto cleaved one of the wights in two while Sentry felled a couple with a wide strike. Nora would dart between and underneath the wights, inflicting blows and strikes that crippled many of them and finished them off, making her kill count the highest among those fighting. As for the chieftain, it would be Calocis once again to dispatch the undead after it delivered a grievous blow against one of the fighters with a devastating strike on their chest.

Calocis used a similar incantation like before, calling upon the shadows to wrap around the chieftain. Yet unlike the other wights, the chieftain resisted and was able to even tear free some of its limbs from the grasp of the tendrils attacking it. And so Calocis would double his efforts and through struggle managed to regain control of the situation. Once the tendrils had completely enveloped the chieftain, Calocis jerked his hands apart and the tendrils tore the chieftain wight apart in spectacular fashion! From there, the rest of the company finished fighting the rest of the wights and thus the battle ended.

With the barrow having been cleared of both its new and old inhabitants, as well as its contents collected for use by its members, the Company celebrated their adventure here and set up camp for the evening. With the provisions that had been added to their own from the goblin stash, there was enough to go around for some feasting for the evening as food was prepared and drinks were made. For the Company, it was a morale booster for their adventure by having conquered such a labyrinthian dungeon without having lost anyone in return.

But there was also a moment of solace made clear for the dead adventurer that they had come across down in the depths, remembering their life as whoever they might have been and giving them a proper farewell in the hearts and minds of those there. The dampened mood did not last for long as shortly thereafter people celebrated the accomplishments made in life, with none other than an impromptu drinking game between several fighters and some of Company such as Sentry and Alberto.

As the night of festivities came to an end, the people went back to their tents and have a good night’s rest. Prepared for what might come in the future and ready for life’s happenings that would come their way.

• Day 4 •
Random Event Roll: 1d20 = 5

In the time spend traveling, passing through forests and fields and fording small rivers when need be, the Company would find themselves in a small patch of land that was wildly different from the its immediate surroundings. It was clear that a Maelstrom had affected this place through its distinct physical qualities here through its purple grasses and other anomalies, but it would not be all so peaceful to traverse.

Upon entering, the Company was suddenly beset upon by a Fachan! A dangerous freak of nature sporting only one leg, one arm, and one eye, it advanced upon the group wielding a large tree trunk as a club with menacing intent as it gave off an unnatural roar from its depths. The company ready themselves to fight such a hideous creature, but as fortune would have it there were other plans.

Fachan.pngOgro.png

A large roar pierced the air and a large Ogre rushed out from the nearby treeline towards the beast, perhaps upset at intruding upon his territory, and charged with his bare hands. The company would quickly move out of the way off the main road to wait out the clashing giants as their battle shook the ground with each thunderous step and blow that landed. At one point, the ogre was struck in the head by the tree trunk with a spine-chilling crack, causing it to splinter off into several large pieces and fly off from the impact; one of which nearly hit some members of the company were it not for a small boulder blocking the way.

However, the ogre would come out victorious as he was only temporarily stunned by such a heavy blow and quickly overpowered the Fachan by tackling it and pinning it to the ground with his own legs standing atop its limbs. Grabbing the freak’s head, the Fachan would let out a desperate roar until the sound of ripping sinew and flesh signaled its death as its head was pulled off with enormous strength by the Ogre with a mighty roar.

Content with his kill, it only spared a glance towards the company before returning to its woods with the Fachan’s head in its hand. It made plenty clear to the company that this was its land, and that they would have to tread carefully and quickly to avoid having to deal with it. After Cecilia quickly gathered some of the Fachan’s blood in several vials for study and alchemical use, the Company quickly gathered themselves and pressed onwards and away from the scene.

Inferno_Potion-removebg-preview.png
• Vial of Fachan's Blood x5: Alchemist often use the creatures blood for "Potions that enhance the users stability and reflexes."

• Rubenstad •

Rubenstad.png

The Company would come across yet another city on their journey, but unlike the settlements they had come across previous within the Union of Free Cities this would be different. As indicated by the post signs, Rubenstad was what stood before them but what also caught many eyes was the first sign of actual military forces in the area. A militia of soldiers, armed with maces and armored decently, passed by the group to leave the town just as they entered, to which the company would overhear that they were off to deal with a monster terrorizing the nearby village of Copseshire.

As the Company made themselves known in the town, it became clear that there was a strong language barrier between them and the residents as they were speaking a tongue that was unfamiliar to mostly everyone. As such this caused a bit of a headache in trying to convey to city officials that greeted the Company, who could only try to guess between one another. However, much to their fortunes Syll was able to use Old Brannorian to speak with them as it was close enough to the Fryskolandi spoken that a mutual understanding could be reached.

It was with Syll’s words that garnered the company the night’s stay in the city inns to rest and recuperate for further traveling rather than having to stay out on the road or outside.

• Day 5 •
Random Event Roll: 1d20 = 4

Faery_Forest.png

The Company would then find themselves in a region that had been affected heavily by the maelstrom, as properties of the land had been altered and caught the awe of many in the Company. The grass was purple and even seemed to be lustrous in some places, shining as if it were metallic yet nothing of the sort. Mushrooms the size of men sprouted in large clusters from the terrain, even from where it seemed it would be illogical for them to be and seemed to glow with a soft hum. Rocks defied gravity and floated some feet off the ground in places, while small chasms appeared in the ground with streams of energy filling it as if they were gaping wounds in the very planet itself.

For the more inquisitive minds in the company like Cecilia and the wizards that accompanied the group, this was a treasure trove of observational research to conduct and witness before their very eyes as they scribbled down findings and performed simple tests from time to time as the Company caravan carefully navigated the land as to not accidentally delay themselves. This also brought the group as a whole into contact with many of the Fae fluttering about that were observing the group with curiosity as they traveled. To see so many in such a vicinity was a rare sight indeed.

However, not all was peaceful as a sudden deep hiss pierced the air and the Company found themselves face to face with a Salamander. At first it only remained audibly aggressive until one of the fighters attempted to scare it off by throwing a rock at it, causing the creature to shamble closer and gnash its jaws. At the last moment however, Petrocles shoved the man aside and was sprayed with a fire and thus saved the man from a severe burning.

Salamander.png

Petrocles himself was mostly unaffected save for a singing on his skin as he quickly brushed it off, however Cecilia quickly noted that the creature was likely only defending its territory and possibly eggs. As such, the Company was able to move on quickly by diverting its route and thus the Salamander returned to take care of its precious clutch as the perceived threat nearby moved on away.

• Parelstad •
Parelstad.png

With their travels, the Company would come across one of the grander cities within the territories that they had come across thus far in the form of Parelstad. Not only did it appear immaculate even with its defensive walls, its interior revealed to the Company the extent of its mercantile wealth. Markets and stalls lined the streets, various artisanal shops and businesses were bustling, and the city populace itself seemed to be wearing finer clothing and fabrics available to them through the trade that the city was a recipient and an instigator of.

Here there were caravans and people from all over nearing regions and realms, intent of trade and gathering wealth where they could on their missions, and as the Company would get settled in the city inns and taverns, they would also find Waterhamerite Hobs amidst city officials to discuss a particularly important piece of business: connecting the Pearl by lake with a strait to the Helmite Sea, thus connecting the cities to the rest of the greater world through a new avenue.

Many members of the company would take the opportunity to spend some of their own personal wealth gathering unique trinkets as mementos of their travel here, or buying exotic spices to use in food, and thus found themselves greatly enjoying their time here more than they had anywhere else thus far in their travels within the Free Cities.

• Day 6 •
Current day...

"M-merde, c-can we take a break!?" shouted Paulin as he trailed behind Petrocles. "We've been walking for hours now, I doubt we will get to Vrouwstad in time! I say we stop and camp for the day!" said the young adventurer as he took a moment to regain his strength. It was true, it had been around nearly 6 hours of marching since the company had left Parelstad, taking only small breathers every hour or so. Pepin, who had been marching ahead of the party, looked over his shoulder to see the state of the company, it was clear that everyone was exhausted from the marching. "Aye, I say it's a good moment as any to stop and eat something, but there's still sun above us! So don't get too comfortable!" He shouted as everyone sighed in relief.

With the approval of Pepin, everyone took the opportunity to rest. "F-finally, a proper break!" shouted Paulin as he laid down on the green grass at the side of the road, soon followed by the rest of the company, who sat down at the side of the road to relax. Some members of the company would remove their boots or other foot wear to massage their aching feet, others opted for eating some small portions from their personal provisions, a small group immediately started to play a game of Dwarven poker, once again without any dwarves actually playing the game.

Rest.png

Cecilia studied what she had been working on the past 6 days, she was amazed that despite the fact this area was constantly getting hit by small Mana Maelstroms, the roads were in near perfect condition. "Now... Rubenstad was on the other side of the lake but we seen it from this side, if... yeah, that's it! I say my map is even better than the old one!" she exclaimed out loud before showing the map to any nearby members.

Alberto, riding on top of his trusty steed, looked at his fellow knight Waylond with a grin on his face. "Pepin is even harder on them than any knight I've known!" He said with a chuckle. "And believe me, I've worked with many knights who treated their squires poorly, they pale in comparison to Master Instructor Pepin of Eranoire." he added as he got down his horse. "I am boiling under this armor, and I imagine you are as well, Waylond! We should take it off for a few minutes, let our bodies cool down a moment before we continue forth." He said before he was interrupted by someone.

"Uhm, I wouldn't take off your armor yet, ser knight!" said Cassandra as she pointed at the woods to their left. "See that?" She asked, pointing at the oddity in front of them - large portions of the forest were covered in spider web, and dog-sized Spiders can be seen crawling through the web, some looking down at the party, most feeding on small game like rabbits or other mutated Maelanima like large flies or mosquitos. "Well, that's concerning!" said Alberto as he stared at the webbed trees. "Hmm... Khorzev!" shouted the old knight as he walked away from Cassandra and Waylond. "Where are you old chum? I think I'll need you and some volunteers to check the woods for any danger." He said as he looked for the old frog. Many members of the company could see that Alberto appeared to be a bit concerned with the unnatural amount of web in the woods, but who is willing to help him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back