• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy World of Gea: The Greatest Adventure [IC] [CLOSED]

The friendly griffon posed a rather strong question almost immediately regarding her as Gsera felt it's words enter her mind. The remainder of the conversation between the others drowned out for the time being as she felt her eyes lock onto the creatures. It wouldn't make sense to try to lie to a noble creature such as this and so she simply nodded: Yes... I'm all by myself out here and... and I don't want to scare the only friends I have out here... she whispered back, I know the stories and all. I don't want... I'm afraid to get people hurt because of what I am.

"Well! I have an idea..." she then pointed at Abasi, who was standing nearby still processing what just happened. "...I could pretend to be his girlfriend and walk about the human district, waiting to be attacked while you guys hide away somewhere near!
Abasi tought about the idea for a while
"I suppose that would work , ill let the actual trap to those who work better with sneaking since thats not my forte ,ill just put on a show with lovely cassandra here"
he started to think of ideas to make the fake "couple" get noticed
"Well knowing how this town is..casual public displays of affection down at the main square are sure to atract many disgtuntled eyes to us"

"I'm heavier than I look due to my talents, remember?" Sentry gave an answer to Sera before turning back to the handler "I've seen a roc, but not an ele...elepond?" She shrugged, putting Grundle off balance for a second as the slime wobbled a bit. "If you say they can carry me, then I'll believe you." She stepped forward to take a closer look at the gryphon. A truly majestic beast. "Syl, why don't you try and ride it?" She turned to the young mage. "Or would you prefer someone else go first to see how it goes?"
---
Once Alberto was ready, Waylond hurried outside the inn. The knight may have had reservations for working with the necromancer, but the risk was too great to let that get in their way. Ancient dead god and a godkiller at that, ritual sacrifice and who knows what else. Lady Sentry had more to her than she led on and it was becoming more clear by the moment. Who knows what else her companions would have to them. This journey might prove to be his greatest challenge yet. Gods above would only judge if he would stand of shatter.

"Through here." He pointed in a direction as they rounded another corner, at the same time trying to spot anything out of the ordinary as they ran through the streets.

"Syl, why don't you try and ride it?" She turned to the young mage. "Or would you prefer someone else go first to see how it goes?"

"oh? hmmm, well i certainly don't mind, i don't find the prospect of flight particularly frightening, so i am okay with going first if no one objects" Syll turned his attention to the Griffin tamer.

"How much would it be for the classes? i hope you don't charge extra for clumsy students"

Syll grabbed his coin pouch, he still had nearly a hundred coins left so it was fairly unlikely he couldn't pay the fee.

Well their planned “girl’s night out” turned out to be exactly that...plus Syllannan, Callop, Faux, and a miniature version of Grunde. Not that she minded of course, she enjoyed each and everyone of them and had her fair share of pleasant interactions with them. Though their conversation had been a bit limited in the past, Sera was proving to be a great friend to Kastalli - especially with her initiative to go out and enjoy the city as a way to cheer her up. Syllannan was thought of the same as well, if not held at a higher level. She felt like she had grown rather close to him, both sharing their distress in revisiting their respective homeland and taking comfort in the fact that they wouldn’t be alone in this journey. Admittedly, she found him a bit attractive as well but she would never say that outloud. Sentry was a highly respectable woman...intimidating for sure but Kastalli acknowledged and respected her strength. Callop and Faux proved their strength when the group encountered the unsavory bandits on their way to Waterham, yet the instinct to protect the young remained deep in her veins. The same could be said for Grunde, especially now in their much smaller form. That, and Kastalli was rather curious of Grunde over all, never seeing anything like them before. All that being said, it filled her heart with joy that each and every one of them joined in on the fun that would take place tonight.

She allowed Sera to lead the way through the city, unsure where exactly they would find the place to ride Griffins. Now that she thought about it, she wasn’t exactly sure what a Griffin was. Sera mentioned the things that fly high in the sky but Kastalli had never seen one up close. So, when the group did eventually arrive at their sought out destination, Kastalli’s tail immediately fluffed up at the sight of the large creature. Very strange indeed...and a bit intimidating...and did that woman say the Griffin has a strong bite?! She stepped back behind Syllannan and Sentry, indicating that she definitely did not want to be the first to ride the Griffin. Not because she was afraid of heights but because she was a bit uneasy being around a creature she had never seen before. “I am sure you will do great, Syllannan. Just be careful.”

Being split in half was certainly a weird feeling and the slime doesn't think they'll get used to it. Though Grunde has done it multiple times in the past, the situation at hand is far more demanding than just splitting up out of curiosity. Each piece of the slime was so far apart that distinguishing things and determining which memory came from which is... taxing. It's as if Grunde was just a spectator of their own life, watching two realities flash before their eyes. It's overwhelming. Though, the sentient goo quickly found a solution. If watching the world from two eyes is too much, they'll just focus on one screen while the other is just a blur, constantly switching between the two. Grunde will still be able to feel if something's amiss and alert the other party but it'll just be muddled and the other body won't be as active. The slime is sure that with enough practice, they can get a better grasp at this but for now, this will have to do.

With the party being split into two, Grunde decided to put his focus on the ones who left for the Griffin Riding Academy, with them being exposed to more danger than the ones who are staying behind closed doors. The mini-Grunde tasked in alerting them jumped in surprised as Sentry lifted them up before settling on her shoulders. Wow, the slime thought. They've never been this high before. Feeling a rush of exhilaration, the slime felt invincible seeing the world beneath them. Grunde slowly spread themselves over the back of the barbarian's neck so they won't fall if things gets out of control, almost looking like a U-shaped pillow for the woman. This is fun.

The moment they arrived at the Academy, Grunde can feel their inside bubble with excitement at the sight of the majestic Griffins. From the moment the company stepped foot in Waterham, one of the things that caught the slime's attention the most were the Griffins flying above them, only leaving their shadows behind as Grunde couldn't help but stare at them with awe. Grunde have always wanted to fly, always staring at the birds with envy. They always looked so happy when they're in air, full of freedom. And if they can do that while riding a Griffin? They'll be the happiest slime there was.

"Syl, why don't you try and ride it?" She turned to the young mage. "Or would you prefer someone else go first to see how it goes?"

"oh? hmmm, well i certainly don't mind, i don't find the prospect of flight particularly frightening, so i am okay with going first if no one objects"

"M-me! I want." Fuelled by the prospect of accomplishing two of their dreams at the same time, Grunde quickly spoke up. "I can ride with Syll. I think. On shoulders. I don't weigh much. If that's okay?" The slime still has to stick with someone after all to do their job properly. Hopefully there's a discount for slimes and monsters alike.

"Aren't you getting exited?" Sentry spoke as she picked up Grundle from her shoulders "If Syl doesn't mind and you can hold on tight to him, I don't see why not." She held the slime in her arms like a babe and looked to the young mage "What do you think? Can Grundle ride with you?"

“I am sure you will do great, Syllannan. Just be careful.”

"M-me! I want. Can ride with Syll. I think. On shoulders. I don't weigh much. If that's okay?"

"What do you think? Can Grundle ride with you?"

Kastalli reacted to the presence of the Griffins in an unusual way, hiding behind Syll and Sentry...could it be she's scared of the Griffins? Well that sure was unexpected, so far she's shown to be pretty fearless to new things, perhaps Rakshasas and large birds don't get along? Syll made his best effort to not giggle as he found it both funny and quite cute.

Grunde on the other hand was ecstatic by the prospect of riding the creature. For what they had described about themselves so far, it's easy to understand why they're incredibly curious about many of the new things this journey has shown so far. And as for Syllannan, Grunde was one of the nicest folks in the entire company, even as a slime they were more polite than most, so if anything it was a pleausure for him to take them along for the ride.

"I'll gladly take our friend, i promise you'll have them back safely" said Syll as he approached Sentry and took Grunde from her hands (which also made him realize the nearly full foot height difference between the two), and proceeded to place them on his own right shoulder, his mantle was getting stained a bit by the slime residue, but as it was also green it didn't really matter, it also already needed a bit of a rinsing either way.

Gsera said:
Yes... I'm all by myself out here and... and I don't want to scare the only friends I have out here... I know the stories and all. I don't want... I'm afraid to get people hurt because of what I am.

The Griffon let out a slight chuckle after Gsera had finished explaining why she did not want to show her true form to her friends. "I understand, those who walk on two legs are strange little creatures, are they not?" As he finished speaking, he looked at Kastalli as she hid behind her friends. Upon seeing her act so meekly, the Griffon let out another chuckle, clearly amused by this. "They are always scared of things they do not understand, even things that are trivial... but... you are young." He asked while looking at Gsera's Tuatha facade. "You cannot be older than a few hundred years, nothing compared to a Ddraig or a Griffin. Even in the eyes of a mortal, like a human or Hob you'd be a child." The griffon knew that saying such things could offend Gsera, as she had abandoned her father due to her fathers overprotective nature. "...Do not be upset, hatchling. You are still a strong child, I can feel it and see it, as you hear my voice. Something even my mistress cannot do." The griffon rubbed its feathery head against Gsera's hand in a fond manner, which made his handle smile as she talked with Syll.

Syll said:
"How much would it be for the classes? i hope you don't charge extra for clumsy students"

"Don't ya worry sire, we all start somewhere! In fact, lemme tell ye! Ye came at an opportune time! All of our Griffons have been properly trained trained and are well behaved!" As she spoke, a few other handlers approached with the Griffons and Hippogriffons. The creatures looked at the party with curiosity.

Grunde said:
"M-me! I want. I can ride with Syll. I think. On shoulders. I don't weigh much. If that's okay?"

The handler looked at Grunde as they jumped about on Senty's shoulders. Some of the other handlers looked a bit surprised at the strange slime creature on her shoulders, others, like the lady handler in front of Syll, found them too endearing and adorable. "Well would ya look at that cute lil' blob!" She said while Sentry handled Grunde to Syll. "Tell ya what lil' blob, ya can ride with yer friend if ya want! Just hold on tight... let's see, oi! Billiam!" A Hob handler then approached Syll and Grunde, next to him was a majestic female griffon. "This one is Stella, just get on top of her and strap yourself in." said the Hob as Syll looked at the lady griffon.

Meanwhile, Gsera continued to listen to the griffon while both of them looked at her friends. "...A hatchling like you needs a family, for as strong as you might be, you cannot be alone." Gsera could feel it purr a bit as she continue to caress its feathers and fur. "You speak fondly of your friends, one day you must tell them your true nature... and I'm sure they'll understand." The creature then tilted its head. "...but of course, it is up to you whether or not you want to hear this old griffons words." The handle looked at Gsera as she continued to speak with her griffon. "Heh, he must really like ye! Is it because you are duadua? heard 'em duaduas really like Maelanima."

"What's a maelanima?" asked Callop as watched the Griffon next to Faux, who was busy looking at his own tail. The handle was quick to respond to the young boys question. "Maelanima are the creatures that come out of 'em big purple storms! Good ol' Fluffy here is an oldie so he emerged from a very old storm, so I treat him with lotsa respect, cus 'tis hard to tame 'em ol' griffons." The griffon chuckled again. "She amuses me." said the Griffon to Gsera as he looked at his human handler.

"Now!" shouted the lady handler as she helped Syll strap himself in. "Riding a Griffon is not that different from ridin' a horse, you need to inspire her confidence." Syll watches as another handler next to him rides on top of a Hippogriffin, the beast has a running start before spreading its majestic wings and takes off the ground. "See that? Ya gotta use the reigns to control her, don't pull too violently though, it might scare her! Use yer confidence and she will know what ye want!" Syll and everyone else pay close attention to what the handler tells them, it was surprisingly simple as long as the rider treats the Griffon with the respect it deserves. "Why don't ya give it a go! Don't ya worry, some of us will ride close to ya, just in case!"

Understandably so, Syll and Grunde were a bit nervous because this was a new experience, and the short class did not experience much confidence. But the handler and her colleagues assured them that their griffons were well trained and to follow their teaching carefully. With a deep breath, the Hobálfar pulled the reigns carefully and the griffon responded, making a small run before spreading its large wings, and with a powerful swing, the griffon took off, flying up towards the night sky. Syll and Grunde could feel the air flowing across, the half-Elf's hair flowing on the air as the Griffon continued to rise through the air, allowing both party members to witness the sea of stars above them and the entirety of Waterham and its beautiful well-lit streets down bellow.

In the ground, the party looked amazed as Syll and one of the handlers flied across the night sky. "What did I tell ya!" said the handler as she looked proud as ever. "I'd even say he's a natural! Why don't ya all give it a go?" asked the human handler while her comrades offered their mounts to the party. "I'd be honored to have you fly with me, Hatchling ddraig. I imagine you must miss flying." Without any shadow of a doubt, Gsera got on top of the Griffin she had communed with and payed close attention to the handler as she repeated her instructions again. In a matter of mere minutes, Kastalli, Callop and Sentry watched as Gsera took off at a much rapid speed than Syll.

With both their comrades now flying the night sky, Sentry and Kastalli decided to go next. Sentry was offered a heft and stronger Hippogriffin stallion, a beast with many scars that commanded respect, just like her. Of course, she wouldn't ride alone, once on top of the stallion, the barbarian Runeseeker would grab Callop and place the child in front of her. Just as Sentry was getting ready to take off, Kastalli was offered a younger Hippogriffon mare. It looked like a much gentler and kinder being, one that looked at Kastalli with a peacefulness that resonated with her. While still intimidated by Griffons, she got on top of the kind hippogriffon mare and watched as Sentry and Callop took off. Seeing her companions fly with such confidence, Kastalli soon took off with her steed and joined her friends, flying across the night sky, illuminated by the moon and stars above them. Despite the fact that they had been welcomed to Waterham with a serious quest on placed their shoulders, riding through the night sky of Waterham made them forget that sour welcoming as they admired the independent city from the sky.

The Hobs watched at the diverse party of adventurers led by Cécilia made their way through the city. She was currently petting Grunde, mostly to cope with her nerves as Cassandra guides them to the town plaza while holding the hand of Abasi, she was pretending to be Abasi's girlfriend in a way to trick the Redcap wannabe into thinking that she was in a relationship with the Cat boy. Malthara, Zen and Korzhev walked right behind them while Petro and Paulin walked a few meters behind with a small company of adventurers behind them. Dakarai had decided to stay behind just in case the Sheriff went to look for them at the tavern.

"I must say! I didn't expect my day to go like this!" said Cassandra while holding Abasi's hand. "I am helping solve a murder case with a huge adventuring company while also holding a dancers hand. It almost feels like one of those novels made by single Eranoiran noblewomen." Cécilia let out a chuckle upon hearing that, she knew that was true, her mother used to read things like that all the time. "I'll be honest, it feels like a lot is happening and I am not even aware of all of it." said Paulin while walking close to Petro, who was as confused as the young adventurer was. "I sincerely hope this plan works out thought, I do not want to spend all the week looking for this serial killer, I really wanted to ride a b-Griffon! Y-yeah, I hope they are having fun."

The mention of Griffin riding reminded Cécilia of something that she forgot to mention to Gawain back at the tavern, that both parties had a Grunde. She looked down at the Grunde in her hands and was about to say something, before being interrupted by Cassandra who pointed at a certain location. "This is the St. Berthana Plaza, located in between the impoverished districts of both Hobs and humans." This was actually a good area to set up a trap, as both humans and hobs walked about doing their business, but it was clear that in at least thirty minutes everyone would go back to their homes and rest. Both Cécilia and Cassandra imagined that'd be the most opportune time for the killer to attack.

"So..." whispered Cassandra. "Me and Abasi will sit down under St. Berthana's statue holding hands, kissing as a last resource, to attract the Redcap Copycat, right?" Cécilia nodded while she continued to pet Grunde. "Yes... Zen, you are our eyes in the sky, right? You need to fly up a building and keep a close eye on both Cassandra and Abasi and jump in as soon as the killer attempts to attack them." She then looked at Korzhev, Malthara, Petro, Paulin and the others. "The rest of you... we will be nearby, we will try to remain as hidden as possible and wait out until Zen calls us, is that good with everyone?" The other adventurers nodded, Paulin included. "Korzhev... Petro... mademoiselle Malthara... if you have any suggestions please do share them, I am just a scholar after all."

While Cécilia asked for their help, Cassandra looked at Abasi, she gave the half-Basteti a stern look. "Now listen here cat boy, you might be cute and all but don't think anything weird out of this! We will hold hands and MAYBE kiss, but only if a lot of time passes and if you get touchy, I'll ask Malthara to cast a spell on you and turn you into an actual cat, you got that?" While it was obvious that she was serious, it was also clear she was being a bit playful, to not appear overly hostile with poor Abasi.

Traversing the city in such hurried way was tiring for the heavily armored knights, who continued to follow Waylond as he lead them to the Academy. Gawain, while following the new knight, heard something in the distance. (1d10 = 5 | Minor Success.) It was the muffled shouting and grunting of a man, and he recognized one of the words being shouted by this foreigner. Kastalli's name.

"That bitch Kastalli, who does she think she is... daughter of a lawspeaker, bah! Her weak father will crumble to dust once a new Konung takes the crown!" shouted the Skæglin sailor, while the Hobs were not easy to intimidate, those that were walking on the same street as the sailor avoided him, because he looked deranged, and there were no constables around to stop him should he try anything. "That bastard Jager will have to kiss my toes when I bring her that bitch, I'll marry her to his cousin and his clan will take me! I'll be a hirdman!"

Once the shouting came closer, Gawain and the knights watched as this drunken Skæglin man walked into the same street as they did, the insane man grunted at some passing Hobs who were a bit unnerved by him, but when the sailor saw Gawain and his knight companions, he grunted. "What the fuck are you looking at, you disgusting vile creature?!" He shouted in a rather intimidating tone. (1d10 = 2 | Critical Failure.) But all that did was make some of the knights chuckle at this lousy drunk. "Respect your elders, young man." Said Ser Alberto while standing next to Gawain in a protective manner. "Why are you looking for Kastalli?" Asked the old knight while resting on his spear. "Huh? You know that whore?! Tell me where she is you old bastard or I'll chop your head clean off!" shouted the sailor, clearly ignoring the fact he was facing two well trained knights, a hedge knight, a squire and a powerful wizard.

"What your tone, knave! Or we will teach you a lesson you'll never forget!" said Ser Justin while unsheathing his sword and opening a potion. "Ease these Ser Justin... listen, son of the north, I am asking you again... why are you looking for Kastalli?" asked Alberto again, trying to be cordial but also trying ready to fight this Skæglin brute. "Tsk... Heh, that bitch forgot where she's from, she is a daughter of Skæg and should respect us, but instead mocked us and my captain did nothing against that vile cat whore! I am teaching her a lesson... and if you call yourselves men, you'll tell me where she is!" the man moved his bearded axe menacingly, but none of the knights nor Gawain were amused by this. "...go back to your crew, sailor, you are drunk and speaking nonse-" (1d10+2 = 10 | Critical Success.) Suddenly, with a ferocious roar, the Skæglin swing his axe right at Gawain, almost severing his head with a clean cleave through the wizards neck, but he didn't fully cut off Gawains head.

Alberto and his fellow knights soon tried to chase after him but the Skæglin sailor ran away, shouting obscenities and other nonsense related to Kastalli. Gawain grabbed his head as it was hanging on his back and quickly pulled it back in place, using both magic and his natural regeneration to quickly heal the wound. However, it was obvious the cut left some damage that would require time to mend. "What a savage brute! Him and all his kind!" shouted Edgar from within the wizards mind. Despite the fact that they had tried to chase them, the knights heavy armor was too clunky to allow a quick chase. Alberto, being ahead of the group shouted at Gawain. "Gawain! What do we do?! Do we chase this bastard or we go and warn the others?!" Now they had to worry about those cultists, the redcap and now some Skaeglin with a personal vendetta.

(1d10 = 9 | Critical Success.) (1d10 = 2 | Failure.)
A member of the party is being stalked right now, and they won't be able to tell until encountered.

Gawain was not really one to run but he did keep pace with an awkward jog behind the knights as they pushed their way through the city, his spectral slave flying behind him as they made their way to the Academy. Yet a detour presented itself once he heard Kastalli's name, the wizard slowing his pace as he stopped with slight curiosity. The man in question was quite belligerent, and from the insults he threw the undead's way he was stupid and ignorant as well.

"A drunken fool." Gawain replied flatly when the sailor asked his question rife with obscenities. When the other knight began to question the sailor for the reason he was after Kastalli, the wizard simply stared at the man with a blank expression. As he threateningly waved that axe around, in a flash he soon lopped it toward his neck and actually managed to strike true! His skull was temporarily dislodged and thrown backwards, the wizard left gasping and gurgling despite not having lungs to breathe or a larynx to fill from the pain. All in all, it was a rather embarrassing affair before he managed to right his skull back onto his neck. He rolled it slowly as he adjusted his hood and merely nodded at Edgar's words.

Alberto shouted back with a question, either they could pursue the sailor that assaulted him or continue their original task. "Ser Alberto." he replied, shaking his head and shoulders with slight pain. He was tired of getting sliced up today. "You are asking me if I would rather focus on a band of cultists lead by a demon or some drunken moron pursuing Kastalli. The woman is more than capable enough to handle that brand of idiocy, he is no different than those bandits we dispatched on our way here." And by 'dispatched' he meant slaughtered.

"We stay our course. A demon and its misbegotten followers are far more of a threat to our company than that fool could ever hope to be."

As she was introduced to her Hipogriffin she stood in front of it and marveled at its ferocity and grace. The battle scars adored its body like fine jewelry to show its status among the pack. Before she mounted the beast, she felt a tug on her cape. The barbarian turned to see young Callop was the one pulling it. She smiled as she instantly understood what the boy was hinting at. She helped him up and stood right behind him on their mount as it took off.

They soared through the air with speed and grace only a creature like a griffin could. Sentry found the air going through her face liberating. The joy in Callop's voice as they flew through the clouds under the moon light only made the experience better. For a fleeting time she was no longer concerned with whatever vile creature they're hunting or her duty. There was only the flight.
---
Waylond stopped in his tracks as the drunk began to shout obscenities. While he had known the lady for barely a few hours and only exchanged a few words with her, Kastali was still going to be his companion in this adventure. On a personal level, he detested men like this. The polar opposite of how a knight should treat a lady. Loud, bashful, stupid and likely uses the other head for decisions instead of the one on his shoulders. Were in not for Alberto, Waylond would have already blooded his glove with the man's face.

As the sailor pulled out his axe, Waylond's hand was on the sword's hilt, but despite his nickname, he was not swift enough to try and counter the swing. He cursed his slow speed as the man ran away. 'Next time you lout.' The knight returned back to the wizard to see if he was alright. Fortunately it seemed that whatever magic was keeping him alive also allowed him to recover from grave wounds like this.

"I have to agree with ser Gawain." He added "If lady Kastali is still with them, then she would face a far more dangerous threat than him. Although if we do happen to meet him again and the opportunity arises, I suggest you extract the retaliation you are owed, ser. He did try to decapitate you."

Last edited:
"I understand, those who walk on two legs are strange little creatures, are they not? They are always scared of things they do not understand, even things that are trivial... but... you are young. You cannot be older than a few hundred years, nothing compared to a Ddraig or a Griffin. Even in the eyes of a mortal, like a human or Hob you'd be a child. ...Do not be upset, hatchling. You are still a strong child, I can feel it and see it, as you hear my voice. Something even my mistress cannot do."
Gsera had enjoyed speaking with Fluffy, as he was someone that could really understand her current predicament more so than anyone else, even if some of his words did feel as though he was talking down to her. She was rather embarrassed to admit it, even if the griffon was technically correct, and she visibly looked a little embarrassed for a moment before replying: ...About one-hundred and six. she replied about her age meekly, though the words following did help boost her confidence.

"...A hatchling like you needs a family, for as strong as you might be, you cannot be alone. You speak fondly of your friends, one day you must tell them your true nature... and I'm sure they'll understand ...but of course, it is up to you whether or not you want to hear this old griffons words."
The prospect of having to tell them at some point was terrifying to her, even if she knew that deep down that they would not mind. Yet none of the stories she had heard from both her father nor anyone else in the woods told her anything good ever came of people knowing a Ddraig was among their midst. I... you might be right. she admitted, I might have to tell them at some point but... how? How would I just say something like that to them? They know me first as a Tuatha... like this. But then to learn I'm not even that... who knows how they would react... what they might say or do?

She sighed in a melancholic manner before the offer came from the griffon to ride upon his back, which immediately lifted her own spirits again as she quickly mounted the noble beast and, after listening to the instructions again, flew upwards to the sky to join her companions in a manner not too dissimilar as she would have flown back home. Being up in the sky again, flying through the clouds and winds as it passed through her... it was a liberating experience from the oppressiveness of the ground she had been traversing all this time. A wide grin adorned her face as she rode upon the griffon's back over Waterham as it glistened in the early hours of the night below. It had felt like years since she was last about to soar so high and she felt a tear drop from her eyes in joy.

I have missed this for so long... she communed back to Fluffy as she watched everything below from her vantage point. I had nearly forgotten how beautiful everything is from the skies. She then stayed quiet for some time as she watched everything from above, taking the experience in for its entirety as they continued to soar through the skies. Her worries, or anything regarding the ground seemed so insignificant now as she looked out towards the ever stretching horizon that promised new lands she had yet to even see and also reminded her of how far she was from the only home she had ever known her entire life. I have a feeling you would like where I'm from. she then commented to the griffon, Filled with woods of verdant green, full of life and beauty and filled with kind, strong peoples.

"Now listen here cat boy, you might be cute and all but don't think anything weird out of this! We will hold hands and MAYBE kiss, but only if a lot of time passes and if you get touchy, I'll ask Malthara to cast a spell on you and turn you into an actual cat, you got that?" While it was obvious that she was serious, it was also clear she was being a bit playful, to not appear overly hostile with poor Abasi.
"If its for you i may consider facing that consequence...but better not right now...we still need to catch that criminal so just keep your eyes open"

He said jokingly while sitting there holding her hand , she noticed that while his skin was smooth and always felt warm to the touch his hands had some marks , they looked like leash marks that while almost completely healed if you payed attention you could still notice them

"well "dear"...we should talk of something to at least pass the time, it seems like the others had already either taken position or mixed with the crowd as best they could"

Not being very used to them, eventually Syll managed to awkwardly get on the griffin's saddle. She was quite the beautiful creature with bird features on the front and feline on the rear. She appeared to be calm and docile as she didn't seem to struggle at any moment, and even showed an affective response as he gave long strokes on her neck. "Hello Stella, thank you for having us fly with you tonight"

"Riding a Griffon is not that different from ridin' a horse, you need to inspire her confidence... See that? Ya gotta use the reigns to control her, don't pull too violently though, it might scare her! Use yer confidence and she will know what ye want!"

Well that certainly seemed the case, Syll could certainly feel it was was fairly similiar to a horse, a mount which he was no stranger to. The elf made a final check on his small slime companion, making sure they were holding tight and not letting go. When it all seemed good to go, Syll tapped the sides of the Griffin lightly with his feet, and Stella responded by starting an lively gallop, and after crossing a couple dozen meters or so, the movement of her massive wings took them aloft.

The force of the wind on Syllannan's face was almost overwhelming at first, and he couldn't help but get quite nervous as the Griffin started to go higher, rising above even the tallest buildings of the city in a mere matter of seconds. He gripped the reins tightly with his left hand and put his right on mini Grunde to hold them out of instinct.

But eventually the flight calmed down and stabilized, and it was then that he finally managed to notice the incredible sight in front of him: Above was an ocean of stars that extended beyond the horizon. He could recognize some of the constellations and major stars that a couple of astrology enthusiasts have shown him in the past. Namely he recognized Finn's belt, composed of three almost-perfectly aligned stars, and Gaia's Tear, the brightest known star that shined as if it demanded the respect it deserved.

The sight below had nothing to envy the sky though. The enormous city of Waterham stood out from the dark night land, bathed in a gentle orange light from the thousands of candles scattered through the streets, and it's inhabitants who looked like tiny ants from Syll's position, living their lives to the fullest. This reminded Syll that many in the city were in danger, with a spiteful and cold-blooded killer ready to strike them down at any moment, but still, he decided to take this rare opportunity to relax and enjoy the ride.

"How are you holding up, Grunde? the view is so lovely from up here, i'll have to commend Sera for her idea later, it was quite great"

His eyes played a little game as they ran across the several buildings covering the city, he wanted to see how many places could he recognize from his multiple visits to Waterham up to this point. He could see the Sleeping Donkey and the Old Oaken Bookstore, there was also the Grand Mayor's house which towered over the houses in it's vicinity, and not far from there was the City Hall, not a huge point of interest at night, but during the day it could be considered to be the heart of Waterham.

Unconciously his gaze turned to another building, the house of a well-off hob family in the north-center part of the city... it was her house. Syll wasn't sure if her parents were aware of the situation, but even now he couldn't muster the courage to tell them.

Syll's snapped out of his deep thought as he noticed Sera riding her own feathered steed, followed by Sentry and Callop, and then Kastalli, it seems like everyone managed to mount their own Griffin and join on the experience, and Syllannan was most pleased by their company.

The moment they sat on the saddle, Grunde was already on cloud nine. The slime took a moment to admire the griffin under them, stretching a hand to carefully touch the beast before affectionally petting it when it didn't recoil from their touch. The griffin started running and Grunde held on to tighter to Syll, a moment of hesitation entered the slime's mind at the thought of them falling down or worse, crashing. But all of their worries were left on the ground as the griffin finally flew towards the air with such force that Grunde can feel pieces of him get blown away by the wind. Luckily Syll put a hand around them and stabilized the slime until they reached their point.

Wow, Grunde has never thought that they'll see this view in their lifetime. The land was far away and it felt like the slime's problems were miniscule when seen from this height. How the people of Waterham were barely recognizable and the buildings were just shapes. It's as if the city was their own night sky, with lanterns and lamps imitating the stars. Speaking of stars, the slime finally looked up and let out a gasp of awe.

The stars they used to look at night were still so far away but also a little closer that the slime can't help it but to reach out towards them. Grunde wondered how stars feel like when it's on the palm of their hands. Will it be hot; like the sun that greets them every morning, or will it be soft; like the fireflies that lulls them to sleep. Now... my friends, before we continue this night to remember... let me ask you this. What do you plan to do once we finish this quest? A stray memory entered Grunde's head and they remember the night before they set out on this adventure. It felt like the slime is starting to figure out their answer. If they had a choice, at this moment, they'd like to stay up here. Grunde will befriend each star, explore each constellation, and hopefully be one with them when their journey ends.

"How are you holding up, Grunde? the view is so lovely from up here, i'll have to commend Sera for her idea later, it was quite great"

"I-it is. It's perfect!" Grunde loosened their hold on Syll's shoulder before settling on the back of the Hobálfar's neck to get on a better position to see the world before them.

Korzhev was happy to see that the entire dinner affair was finally over with. Now that they were actually getting a move on, his nerves were starting to loosen up. They were still no closer to catching that murderer, but at least they were now putting some work into that. Once the case was done and over with, perhaps Korzhev may be more inclined to sightsee like the other members of the company were currently doing. He hoped they won’t encounter anything that might prove dangerous to any of them, although that list had shrunk considerably thanks to Sentry’s presence.

While listening to Cassandra’s plan, he took note of Cecilia’s nervousness. He patted her thigh in an attempt to offer some reassurance. “Worry not, madam. You must remember you are surrounded by some most capable fighters and sorcerers here, are you not? We shall manage quite as we are.”

Once Cassandra finished her explanation about where they were- St. Berthana’s Plaza- and about how she was going to pretend to be a couple with Abasi. He found that the two made a very amusing duo, largely due to their differences in stature. He wouldn’t mind if they became an actual couple, in fact, but that thought was best kept in the annals of Korzhev’s mind, as maybe many others should have.

“Now, now, we might require a sign, yes?”, he spoke to Cassandra, smiling, mostly amused at her comments toward her ‘partner’. “ Say, if yourself or your good partner spot something that is amiss, you might want to let us know without scaring any passing local. It would be quite great to agree upon a sign, so you can let this old man know whether a curse is needed. Well, I have something much nicer to offer to mister Zen here, our eye in the sky, a charm for better reaching vision.”

He turned to directly address the birdman. “I do not by any means doubt your vision, friend. But perhaps I might be able to help you better see the finer details of the landscape.”

Gsera said:
I have missed this for so long... I had nearly forgotten how beautiful everything is from the skies.

The Griffon understood the sadness emanating from Gsera's words. In all its years it never experienced something like she was experiencing at the moment, trapped in a illusionary prison in an attempt to fit in a strange world, unable to spread her wings and fly the skies like she did back in the Eonach Coillte. "It feels nice, doesn't it? To feel the wind flowing through your mane." said the Griffon with a soft tone as it admired the sky full of stars along with Gsera and everyone flying around her.

Gsera said:
I have a feeling you would like where I'm from. Filled with woods of verdant green, full of life and beauty and filled with kind, strong peoples.

"You are a child from the Emerald Woods, yes?" he asked with a curious tone while flying above the spacious and well built house of Grand Mayor, the elected authority of Waterham. "I know of these woods... Where old Gods walk among mortals and both people and creatures commune with wild life itself... Truly a beautiful place." It said while flying over Syll and Grunde, who were enjoying the ride at its fullest. "But me and my kin are creatures of the plains and mountains... I even heard tales from distant cousins of vast lands covered in yellow dust and long trees with delicious fruits..."

Sera was then joined by Syll and Grunde, the later waving their wobbly little slime arms in the air as both griffon riders started to fly down, above the red clay or wood tiles adorning the roofs of Waterham. While most of the Waterhammerites were heading to their homes, those few that remained on the streets looked up at them and their daring flight above the street, some with annoyance, others with wonder... and a particular group of hooded men and women looked at them with macabre interest.

"You said something that I had to think about, Hatchling..." the Griffin said as it suddenly raised up to the sky, the group watched in amazement as Gsera vanished through the night-sky clouds, it was the highest Gsera has ever flown in her life. "...You fear that your friends will not tolerate you or that they might be scared of you if you reveal who you are... my advice would be to wait until they feel a connection with you, a bond that could withstand any blow it might receive. Once you've strengthen your bond either they would understand or, if they get upset, eventually forget about it." The Griffon looked at Brannor's Shield, the distant mountains that separate Waterham, the Sea Cities and Eranoire from Brannoria. "A Griffon my age had many bonds and understand the importance of them, I am not a hatchling anymore... but sometimes, even the wisest of creatures needs a bit of help."

"OI!" shouted the Hob rider that had joined them in the skies, she was a few meters away from Gsera. "It's gettin' too late lass! Gotta head down!" she shouted while pointing down at the academy. "I gotta give it ta ya, yer a natural!" she said, giving Gsera a thumbs up before flying down. "I am afraid that is it." said the Griffon in a rather downcast manner. "I must admit, I enjoyed speaking with you, in the academy pens I am surrounded by boastful hatchlings and my handler sadly does not understand me, it was... nice..." He said as he joined Kastalli and Sentry as they neared the academy grounds, on the ground they were surprised by a new group of people standing there. It was Gawain and Alberto, accompanied by Waylond, Pottery and Ser Justin. They were looking at Sentry specifically.

Abasi said:
"If its for you i may consider facing that consequence... but better not right now... we still need to catch that criminal so just keep your eyes open"

Cassandra actually snorted a bit. "Well, ain't ye charming!" she said with a slight accent slip. "Yeah don't worry Abasi, I am keeping my eyes open, anything to help this investigation." It was clear that Cassandra was extremely excited with the prospect of helping the company, but there was clearly something else going on with her, the way she her twitchy eyes gazed upon Cécilia and the other members of the company hinted something obvious: That she wanted to join them as well. Abasi knew the company just recruited a bunch of strangers without any qualms thanks to the inspiring speech from Sentry earlier today so it was easy to assume they wouldn't have any qualms recruiting her and Malthara. While the two conversed with one another, Korzhev had centered his attention on Cécilia.

Korzhev said:
“Worry not, madam. You must remember you are surrounded by some most capable fighters and sorcerers here, are you not? We shall manage quite as we are.”

Cécilia stopped petting the little Grundre in her hands before looking at Korzhev, who had picked upon the fact that she was nerveous. "Sacré bleu... I am sorry monsieur Korzhev, I am just... still processing what a Helish day it was... but I thank you, knowing that you are all here does put my mind to ease." She then looked down at the Grunde in her hand, she then sighed as she asked them. "I hope things are okay in the other end, right?" She asked, realizing that she could have warned Sentry about the other earlier through the "Grundles", but her mind had simply forgotten that idea as she concentrated on the Redcap wannabe. While Cécilia looked at Grunde for an answer, Korzhev had turned his attention to Cassandra.

Korzhev said:
“Now, now, we might require a sign, yes? Say, if yourself or your good partner spot something that is amiss, you might want to let us know without scaring any passing local. It would be quite great to agree upon a sign, so you can let this old man know whether a curse is needed.

"Now that's quite ingenious master Vodyanov!" said Cassandra while still holding Abasi's hand. She caressed her chin while thinking of a good phrase they could use to warn everyone should they ever feel threatened. "...What's the most typical Hob thing to say? Besides insults that is." While she tought about it, Paulin looked up at the night sky as some clouds started to form in the sky, he looked at Petro and gave him a smile. "Kinda cloudy isn't it? It'd be odd if it rained tonight." When the young Eranoiran said that, the young Cassandra snapped her finger. "Yes! Master Korzhev! Master Zen! when me and Abasi shout 'It's been a funny night innit?' You must cast your hex on any approaching threat!" While Cassandra explained the phrase to a confused Korzhev, Paulin looked up at Petro again. "Well... I guess I helped! Hehe... I really hope this guy shows up soon, I really want to see you punt them over the wall!" He said jokingly while poking Petro's legs with his elbow.

Abasi said:
"Well "dear"...we should talk of something to at least pass the time, it seems like the others had already either taken position or mixed with the crowd as best they could"

Now done explaining, Cassandra turned her attention to Abasi again as he offered the idea of starting casual conversations while everyone starts to set up. In fact, Zen was the first one to move out and into position high on top of a nearby roof of a candle making store. Cécilia, Malthara and Korzhev alongside a few fighters had opted for hiding by a side street facing a small tavern. Petro, Paulin and a few other adventurers had opted to hide in a darkened alleyway near the plaza. Cassandra then gave Abasi a smile as she thought of a topic. "...Hmm, well... you are clearly from far away... what brought you here? It must be freezing here compared to the warm deserts of Entariush!"

Sentry touched down on the academy grounds and helped Callop down from his seat. Her smile faded as soon as she saw that they were joined by other members of the company. Their serious faces showed that something was wrong. Leaving the barbarian only to guess what exactly it was. Was it about the boy or something else?

"What's wrong?"

"Lady Sentry." Waylond began "We came to you because you are in danger." She raised an eyebrow at the statement.

"I appreciate your concern, Swifty, but I am more than capable of taking care of myself."

"There is no doubt, but according to ser Gawain, the danger is not to be underestimated."

"Well then." The Kamani warrior placed her hands on her hips "Let master wizard speak then."

Once prompted to speak, the skeletal mage wasted no time aside from a curt nod he gave to Sentry. "Indeed. There is a cult moving through the city, loyal to Nyarlaexedum and following the orders of a chort." he starts, beginning to gesture at his somewhat damaged robes. While his black blood was not flowing so freely out from the once-open wounds it was easy to tell that he had been attacked recently. "They possessed a blade capable of harming me, though I dispatched the cultist that wielded it and turned them into the apparition you see before you." Gawain explained, looking to his spectral slave that floated at his side, slumped over quietly.

"The demon was all too willing to try and eliminate me, but the cult made specific mention of searching for a Runeseeker and a Ddraig. I don't know any of the latter, but I know you as the former. The cult clearly doesn't aim to kill you as they attempted to do with me, they must have some kind of twisted ritual in mind."

"I am a Runeseeker and as far as I know, the only one in this city, maybe even the kingdom." She frowned at the idea of being hunted by some cult and its demonic master. She eyes the apparition that was floating next to Gawain. A price the dastardly soul paid for trying to harm him. She tried to make out anything familiar in it. Something that would give her a clue as to who the cult were beyond their master. She wondered if the mage that awoke her had something to do with them. Too late to ask him now, given his skull was shattered to pieces and his brain a greasy paste on the stone floor of his tower. "A Ddraig as well...very concerning."

"Any idea what they would want with you my lady?"

"No, Swifty, I haven't the foggiest. My blood is ancient and my abilities are not normal, but I am far from the only one that would fit such a description. Likely stronger being than me roam these realms." She looked to Gawain again "I owe you gratitude for alerting me and an apology for suffering any injuries on my behalf, Gawain."

While her time in the skies was brief, it had felt like hours that she had been soaring through the skies with the griffon. She listened as the old beast spoke of what he and his kin's home was like, as well as his advice regarding her friends as they flew higher and higher, far beyond what she ever could have managed. By now everything seemed to be so small down below as she flew alone with Fluffy. She pondered his words and found them to be well advised. It did make sense to first build up what she had with her friends before speaking anything regarding who she was... but she still was filled with an uncertainty. What if the day came and she was unprepared? Or if her friends by that point had made it clear their point on such things to be in the negative? She didn't have long to ponder such questions as the handler flew nearby and said they needed to get back.

Although their ride was cut short, she was still both happy and grateful for the time she had up in the skies as they descended with the others back down to the city. Before they landed however, the griffon did have one last thing to say:
"I must admit, I enjoyed speaking with you, in the academy pens I am surrounded by boastful hatchlings and my handler sadly does not understand me, it was... nice..."

It was a farewell, but not one of happiness but rather of melancholy it seemed. It was unlikely anyone would ever be able to speak to him again apart from the 'boastful' younglings he was surrounded with. Even when surrounded by those he was familiar with, it was as if he felt alone... something she knew all too well. She hugged him around his mane tightly in a wordless 'Thank you' before they landed and the ddraig dismounted only for there to be Alberto, a knight that had been recruited by Sentry, and the ever (to her) repulsive necromancer. It was made rather clear as to why the three of them were there rather quickly as Waylond explained that there was danger and Gawain explaining directly:

"The demon was all too willing to try and eliminate me, but the cult made specific mention of searching for a Runeseeker and a Ddraig."
and a Ddraig.

Hunting... her? It was very hard to not panic as she felt practically everything still around her. She felt her heart pound hard enough to nearly burst out of her chest as fear gripped her. This had been exactly what her father had warned about. People out to hurt her for who she is. It became hard to even breath as the situation was made apparent but realized that such panic might come across as suspect to the others. And so instead of panicking about herself, she redirected her worries to her friend who was also in danger from the same group of people.

"W-what? Sentry? Being... hunted? We have to leave then! It's not safe here!" she managed to stammer out.

"Yes! Master Korzhev! Master Zen! when me and Abasi shout 'It's been a funny night innit?' You must cast your hex on any approaching threat!"
"Then that shall be our signal then" from that moment on abasi had both his eyes and ears ready to detect anything unusual

"...Hmm, well... you are clearly from far away... what brought you here? It must be freezing here compared to the warm deserts of Entariush!"
Abasi smiled , yet clearly it was a fake smile "I wanted to travel the world , get as away from that desert as I could , i dont think ill ever go back there...not willingly at least"
Cassandra could feel abasi's tail moving around , sometimes brushing against her arm "And while i was indeed a bit shocked about the climate , people tend to forget that the nights in the desert are as cold as they come, besides I know many ways to keep myself warm.."

A bit puzzled by Gsera's onset panic despite not being in a great deal of danger personally, Gawain tilted his head and rolled his jaw with his fingers for a moment. "Hrm, I disageee with the notion that we should run from them." the wizard replied, starting to shake his head and roll his hand about the wrist slowly. "To flee from the cult is to allow them more time to prepare their ritual, or perhaps bring in more demonic reinforcements. Now that I have delivered my warning, we are in a far greater position to attack them. Foreseen is fore-armed and all that, yes?"

Letting the postulation hang for a minute he started to pace about and devise a plan out loud. "To take the offensive to them is no easy feat, as I recall them sneaking beneath the city itself. I can say that the cultists are ordinary, and despite carrying grievous weaponry they have no 'blessings' or 'boons' from their horrid god. Bah." Gawain's tone was rife with disgust over such practices. Utter devotion to a higher power was always a waste of one's potential. Why be a deity's pawn when you can become your own person and achieve your own pursuits?

"The greatest threat they pose is their demonic taskmaster, no doubt. I would greatly like to disintegrate that foul creature personally. After all, he thinks me unimportant and disposable and I would greatly prefer to prove him wrong." He moves a hand to his chest as he says this, as if his heart ached from the insult.

"Sera, please." Sentry turned to her friend to calm her. "I'm more than capable of taking care of myself." She spoke with a cautious tone, but gave a reassuring smile. "Gawain is right. If we flee, then we give them time to strike at us with greater force. If we could find them and bring them down, we can end their threat to us now."

"There is another thing, unrelated to the cult however." Waylond turned to Kastali "I'm afraid that there is some boorish fool looking for you, my lady. A Skæglin by the sound of it. I do not know what you've done to earn his ire, but I care little for the lout's justifications. You have my word that he won't be allowed to harass you if I can help it." Sentry looked to the knight a bit unsure why he chose now to make a vow like that, but she had trouble with men like him as a whole. In stead she chose to continue to focus on the chort and it's minions.

"If we are to strike, we need to know where they are. Master wizard, can you work your magic to track them or the demon?"

Just as she told Syllannan to be careful, Grunde spoke up, expressing their excitement to ride the Griffons and requesting to ride on Syllannan's shoulder. This made Kastalli blink in surprise for a moment and soon her lips curved into a small smile. While Grunde was small, especially now in this form, they were quite brave. This inspired her, now wanting to confront these unusual creatures and ride one as well. She listened carefully to the handler's instructions, her ear twitching in slight confusion. Inspire confidence? Well if it's not much different than riding a horse there shouldn't be that much of a problem. She watched with a bit of concern as Syllannan and Grunde took off, soon followed by Sera on her own Griffon. Her tail swayed almost in excitement seeing her friends high up in the night sky. Moments later, two more Griffons were brought out for both her and Sentry. She was about to suggest riding with Sentry instead but the Griffon that was brought out specifically for her reminded her of home. Not the raiding of nearby lands or men demanding respect but the chilling winds that would oddly soothe her mind, bringing her peace. Kastalli cautiously held her hand out for the creature to sniff before petting the side of its head gently. “en vacker varelse (a beautiful creature),” she murmured before finally mounting the Griffon. Remembering the handler’s instructions, Kastalli took hold of the reins, taking a deep breath before pulling the reins with an appropriate amount of strength.

Before she knew it, she was high up in the air, the wind whistling through her ears as she looked in amazement at the city below. “Saito, if only you were here to experience this!” Kastalli breathed as her gaze shifted upwards to the night sky. She was almost certain that if her husband was with her right now, he’d be constantly fretting about her safety, reminding her to hold on tight and to keep focus. He was always like that, putting her safety and happiness first before anything else - and she loved him deeply for that reason. It was why she didn’t regret leaving her homeland, she wouldn’t have been happy there with the constant reminder of what was lost. Now she was surrounded with friends and while they weren’t traveling together for the good memories to be made, she was happy nonetheless.

Enjoyable as Griffon riding was, the fun quickly came to an abrupt end as the group descended, finding Gawain, Alberto, and a few others already waiting for them. Her head tilted to the side as Waylond explained their reason for being here. Sentry was in danger? Kastalli looked over to her tall friend, wondering what could possibly threaten the safety of a woman of that size and strength. Her attention shifted over to Gawain as he explained further about a cult searching for a Runeseeker and a Ddraig. Unless there was an increase in the Runeseeker population then there was no doubt that Sentry was the target. As for the Ddraig...well hopefully the cult doesn’t get to them before their group can put an end to this threat.
"W-what? Sentry? Being... hunted? We have to leave then! It's not safe here!"

She glanced over to Sera, her tail flicking in confusion. Kastalli had not known her friend to show cowardice. “It is no coincidence that we arrive at Waterham and we discover a cult searching for Sentry. Even if we retreat now, they may have the means to follow us outside the city, putting the entire company in danger. While I do not like the idea of bringing the target they seek right to them, it is never a good idea to allow the enemy time to prepare.” Kastalli had not expected their Girl’s Night Out to turn into a hunting mission for some cultists but they had no choice if they wanted to ensure Sentry’s safety.
"There is another thing, unrelated to the cult however."

Kastalli’s ears perked up at Waylond’s words, thinking of only Captain Jager or the ill-tempered brute that accompanied him earlier. She had truly hoped their encounter was done and over with but it didn’t seem to be the case. “I see...thank you, Waylond. Your kindness is greatly appreciated. This man did not try to hurt any of you, correct?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back