• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy World of Gea: The Greatest Adventure [IC] [CLOSED]

While listening to the old knight recount stories from his past, Korzhev found that he was slowly taking a liking to him. He enjoyed listening to stories almost as much as telling them. When everybody Alberto had called for gathered, he’d explained to them his reasons: he considered either of them fit to take up command if something terrible were to befall him. Just by looking at them, the frogman could tell that each one of them were excellent choices.

As for you Korzhev... as experienced as you are, you might be a bit too... extravagant for leading right now, but I want you to be an advisor. You have the years after all... however, should I die and one of them takes my place, I would like you to be considered a new commander as well."

"Oh, I am quite convinced that you are much more difficult to send to the skies than you claim to be. Well, it is as you say, I have very little of what it takes to order people around, my friend! Nonetheless, it is gladdening that you would actually have faith in the likes of me. Do rest assured that I will lend you my help if you were to ever need it.”

"I...I thank that you've chosen me to be among the number, Alberto." Sentry didn't know how else to respond to such a development. She had no real experience in the new world she woke up to, but again she found herself to be in a trusted position like ages past. She bowed her head in a sign of gratitude. "I will do everything in my power to protect the lady's life."

Gawain waited patiently as Alberto told experiences of his travels to Khorzev. It was interesting to be in the presence of someone so renown and well-traveled, so the undead wizard had no qualms with listening to the tales before their cleric arrived. Once the tone and subject shifted to something more serious, Gawain leaned in a bit as his sockets blankly stared at the old knight.

"Hm, well I thank you for the consideration. Frankly this is the largest expedition I have ever been on, so I struggle to imagine the potential of so many under my command." he replies honestly after Sentry said her piece. "Nevertheless I shall uphold the responsibilities given to me as best I can. Though I would greatly prefer for you to not die. The same goes for Cecilia."

As Dakarai began walking back to the campfire, he would be quickly stopped by one of the rogues who issued an urgent message.

"Oi, monsieur Dakarai! Been looking fer ye... the ol' knight says he wants to talk with ye and a few others, probably important stuff. Follow me."

"Sir Alberto wants a word?" the scaled beastman asked curiously before nodding, "Very well."

With his interest now peaked, he was lead to the campfire - where Sir Alberto sat alongside Sentry, Gawain and Korzhev respectfully. He would then be debriefed upon the situation at hand, with the old knight picking the Sobekan's - alongside the barbarian and the undead respectfully - experiences to be both as assisting commanders, as well as potential replacements if Sir Alberto fell during the mission. And above all, they would be tasked to protect lady Delafousse with their lives - for if she fell, the expedition would've been for naught. Korzhev had also been considered as a potential commander as well, however his role currently would revolve as an advisor for the meantime.

"...I hope there's no problem with the... weight I am putting on your shoulders at the moment."

Dakarai initially felt rather unworthy of his new position. It had been years since he left the brutal warrior lifestyle of the Entariusian Empire - and even as a 'warrior cleric' of Her Grace, his role there was more on defense rather than being on the offensive. He was rather content in being a simple follower, sitting on the sidelines as he completed the tasks set upon the Great Journey. However, he had a feeling that this was - in a weird partial sense - a doing of Her Grace: perhaps as a means to further embolden his commitment to the Expedition? He wasn't quite sure, but neither was he willing to question it, whether or not that was the case.

Dakarai quickly proceeded to take a knee, with his right arm placed upon his chest. "I am honored that you chose me, Sir Alberto" Dakarai replied proudly, masking away his internal doubts, "I will do everything in my power to assure the safety of both the expedition and Her Lady personally."

The Sobekan glanced back at the other three members behind him, giving an affirming nod towards his future commitment with the Expedition.

Korzhev said:
"Oh, I am quite convinced that you are much more difficult to send to the skies than you claim to be. Well, it is as you say, I have very little of what it takes to order people around, my friend! Nonetheless, it is gladdening that you would actually have faith in the likes of me. Do rest assured that I will lend you my help if you were to ever need it.”

"Je je... Don't worry my friend, I have no intentions of dying yet... but it is a possibility that I need to think about, after all, there's been plenty of great knights, some greater than me, that have met their end in great adventures such as this..." Alberto stopped speaking for a moment, thinking on what he had just said, reminiscing about some of the other great knights he met in his long lifetime. "Regardless of that though... I am glad that you are here and willing to help, my friend."

Sentry said:
"I...I thank that you've chosen me to be among the number, Alberto. I will do everything in my power to protect the lady's life."

Alberto took note of Sentrys expression and tone. There was a bit of doubt in her voice and concern in her face and to reassure her, the old knight simply patted her on the shoulder and gave her a fatherly smile, the same he'd give his son or his daughter when they were unsure about something they wanted to do. "I know that you will Sentry. You are a strong and old warrior and I know you'll try your hardest to keep this party and Lady Cécilia safe." He understood why the warrioress had a few doubts, if what she was saying in Eran was true, she was from the "Forgotten Era" and knew little of the "New Era" that had developed around her, and that is a valid enough reason to justify her doubts. Nevertheless, Alberto was convinced that he had picked the right people to lead alongside him and as they keep on marching, Sentry will get used to this strange era she found herself in.

Gawain said:
"Hm, well I thank you for the consideration. Frankly this is the largest expedition I have ever been on, so I struggle to imagine the potential of so many under my command. Nevertheless I shall uphold the responsibilities given to me as best I can. Though I would greatly prefer for you to not die. The same goes for Cecilia."

"I appreciate your honesty, Gawain... main reason why I have taken you up for consideration is the fact you are a master wizard, your name appears in theorems and books. You have a deep understanding of magic, deeper than any of us with the exception of Cécilia, but her knowledge is more technical compared to yours." The old knight leaned a bit closer to the wizard with a much more serious expression. "...and as valuable as your skills are, I do hope that you'll use them for the benefit of the company and not against innocent people... I put my trust on you, Gawain." Then, as quick as his serious expression had appeared, he looked at the wizard with a smirk on his old face. "...but if I die and you break your oath, do rest assured that I will try my hardest to come back as a Revenant and hunt you down."

Dakarai said:
"I am honored that you chose me, Sir Alberto. I will do everything in my power to assure the safety of both the expedition and Her Lady personally."

Alberto couldn't help but to smile as Dakarai kneeled in front of him. Such chivalrous behavior reminded him of the young squires he had met throughout his life. It even reminded him of himself when he was a younger, inexperienced but idealistic knight. "No need to kneel down my friend. I might be the one leading the men in this company but I am just an adventurer, just like you." As Dakarai returned to his seat, Alberto looked at the bonfire and then at the company members still resting near it. "You three might have some doubts, I can see that and believe me when I say this, I genuinely understand that... but in all my years, I've learned how judge someones mettle and that is why I considered you for this responsibility. I see great things in both of you..." he said while glancing at Sentry and Dakarai. "And I must recognize talent and experience when I see it." He added while glancing at Gawain.

"Well... I think we are done here aren't we?" He said out loud as he got off the stump he was sitting on. Clapping his hands, he called for the attention of everyone in the camp. "Alright everyone! We are nearing midnight, it's time to sleep!" While most in the company agreed and got off their seats while handling their dirty pewter bowls back to Hrongar and Hroki, a few protested, insisting that they would prefer staying up a bit more. "Come on everyone, what are you? little children? Like it's said in Ol' Sarcossia, a mimir!"

With the complainers dealt with, most members of the company went to their tents. In the main tent everyone was getting ready to sleep with the exception of Deveraux, who had stayed near the bonfire for unknown reasons. After a few minutes, when everyone in the main tent tries to sleep, a very loud snore could be heard from the bedroll between Syll and Callop. It was Alberto, who was fast-asleep already. This was going to be a long night.

• City of Eran, Duchy of Eran, Kingdom of Eranoire •

Far away from the main gates of the "Blue Gem of the West", on a small copse of trees resting atop of a small hill was a group of mysterious individuals, three of them perched on top of the trees while five of these individuals simply rested at the base of these trees. They all appeared to be waiting for someone to emerge from the city, a just a few minutes later of quiet waiting, a small cloaked figure emerges from the gates, sneaking past the guards with ease. In just a few minutes, the figure had managed to run through the cold night streets of Eran, past the southern gates and its ever vigilant guards, through the hovels and huts of the village around the city and into the wilds. It was an impressive feat, one that only a master thief, rogue or agent could do.

When the shadowy figure approached his comrades, the others finally broke their silence, speaking in a tongue only spoken in the East. (Shigese) "Kare wa soko ni imasu ka?" (Is he there then?) asked a beaked creature resting on top of a tree. "Īe, kare wa sudeni machi o demashita..." (No, he already left the city.) said the other figure in response, slowly revealing its dark feathers and long beak. A Tengu.

"Imanani o subeki ka?" (what do we do now?) asked one of the taller figures resting at the bottom of the tree. A human, but with features commonly found on the humans living in the Empire of Shige. "Watashitachiha zenshin shi tsudzukemasu" (We keep moving forward.) Said another tengu resting at the top of a tree. "Kare wa chikai o yabutta... Kare wa shiharawanakereba naranai..." (He broke his oath... He must pay...) The Tengu that had emerged from the city then raised his voice. Speaking human tongues was not easy, but not painful for Tengu, who could mimic languages to near perfection. "Watashi wa takusan no koto o manabimashita. Kare wa hitobito no gurūpu to issho ni machi o satta, bōken-ka no kaisha... Kare wa Buran'noria ni mukatte imasu." (I've learned a lot. He left with a large group, a company of adventurers... He's heading to Brannoria.)

The Tengu and the human Ninjas then looked at each other, wondering what had their old comrade gotten himself into, was he travelling with a company of adventurers to protect himself? Or was there something they didn't know yet? Regardless, it was their duty and honor to hunt down a traitorous brother, a that is exactly what they were going to do, no matter what. "Sorekara... Watashitachiha Buran'noria ni ikimasu..." (then... we are going to Brannoria.)

• Unknown Location, Kingdom of Eranoire •

"I know what I saw" Claimed a well dressed man in a dark, hidden room located in the depths of an Eranoiran city. "Nous ne doutons pas de vous monsieur D'Terre. But we have to make sure... perhaps, your sense picked up a powerful soul, like the one that was sitting near this girl you've described." said another figure, hidden behind a ragged robe. "Au nom de l'enfer! I know what I saw... pure and raw mana of the truest kind, both of them had it." the well dressed man seemed to be rather agitated. "pour l'amour de Xernuk! believe me already! These women... one was a natural Runeseeker and the other... a Ddraig!" the cloaked men hidden in the shadow of this dark room looked at each other. "How sure are you of this... brother D'Terre?"

"I am not sure... I am convinced of it! I saw the essence of their souls and the Mana emanating from it... their deaths would fuel the needs of our orders, do you understand? I am already risking a lot by coming here, I am sure at least one of them saw me in that little tavern." One of the strange cultists then stepped forth, the light of the magical light floating above D'Terre illuminates him as well. "...and you said they left to Waterham, brother?" asked the cultist. "Yes, and then Brannoria! I got that information from a guard I bribed for a lot of silver... apparently, they are an adventuring company hired by the Emperor himself... but they are not carrying any soldiers with them, just random sellswords they found in a tavern, if we don't act soon... they might get away to places we can't reach them or... die in the wild, and that would only be a shame."

"This is true brother, if what you say is indeed correct... then you've found a way for us to perform a powerful binding rite... Hmm, very well..." The cultist then called forth a group of his men forth. Cultists, several of them. Men and women with ragged robes and rusty swords come to the light. "Now... our chapter is not as well-staffed as it used to be, back when the Seventeenth Grand Speaker was with us before her death... I'd rather send better people after these individuals, but my best agents are... occupied with more important matters." One of the warrior cultists raised her voice, willing to show her initiative. "Please do not give up on us Speaker, we are more than willing to prove ourselves and show our love to the Hidden Gods!"

"I have no doubts of your devotion, Neophyte... but these are not mere nobodies, as our Acolyte described them... they are powerful and surrounded by men who know how to fight, you'll need help... and I know a way to help." This leading figure, which the cultist neophytes referred to as a Speaker, began casting some sort of spell with a strange staff he was carrying. He was speaking in tongues that no normal human would be able to speak naturally. Suddenly, a strange dark-purple fire appeared in the middle of the room, from this unholy fire emerged a figure that began walking forth towards the Cult Speaker, seemingly unaffected by the Helish flames around it.

It was a Chort, a 7ft tall warrior Demon created by the Demonic Lord Drazzazoth for the armies of the World Devourer, Kathuum. The creature stood there in silence as the flames behind him vanished, it did not move a muscle, not even to breathe, it simply stood there, in silence. When one of the cultists made a slight move, the demonic warriors head snapped to look at the cultist, this startled some of the Neophytes who had never seen a demon before. When the Speaker approached the creature, he revealed his face to it, giving it a smile. Which the demon the imitated in an uncanny and unnatural way. "We have a mission for you, servant of the Proud One and soldier of the Devourer." The Chort said nothing, it simply stood there, its smile growing ever wider.

It was early in the morning, everyone received a mug of tea with a piece of bread and a few sweet berries for breakfast. Not exactly a lords breakfast but one that would keep the company fueled until it was time for lunch. Still, it was clear a few members of the company resented being awake this early in the morning and it shows, as they struggle getting everything ready to continue marching. "Come on everyone!" shouted Alberto. "I know it ain't fun to pull heavy iron pegs from the ground and rolling tents that weight twice your weight, but we gotta keep going! It's our second day!" Some of the company members rolled their eyes, but none of them could complain about Alberto, since he was also helping by pulling out the iron pegs.

Cécilia was sitting on the carriage that transports the main party. She had her familiar resting on her shoulder as she looked at a few ancient maps, she also gently stroked Grunde who was sitting next to her. She couldn't help but to notice that some of the men looked a bit miserable and then thought about something. A song that was known nearly across the world in many languages known as the "The Adventurer's March", a song that became extremely popular among adventurers, travelers and even marching soldiers. It was a song made to celebrate the good and bad of adventuring, perfect to raise these broken spirits! "Hey, why don't you sing the Adventurer's March, Ser Alberto?" she shouted from her seat in the carriage. Alberto raised his head and thought about it for a moment. "Hm... heh, alright then! Hey Devy, Kasta... I hope you two know that song, otherwise I'll have to school you!" With a jolly laughter, Alberto began singing, and soon enough several adventurers began singing with him.

Carrying my blade, climbing the mountain
Iron and steel is everything I carry
Walking on stretched path, sun hitting my face
Attached on my back, the loot arrives home

Breathe deep, adventurer!
Gaia blesses you with good health!

Searching for relics, forgotten and ancient
That the land gives, wanting it to be discovered
The wind greets me, a raven flies by
good omen, kill my bad thoughts

Swing and hack, truest of reliefs
In every swing the blade speaks its mantra
The voices of the ruins begin to sing
Take our relics, save our legacy

Fosfoiden fosfoiden! Dats yuri yuri foiden!
Fosfoiden fosfoiden! Dats yuri yuri foiden!

It was the Second Day of travelling. The first hours were rather uneventful, the company passed through several small forests and a few plains scattered throughout the hilly countryside. Just an hour before lunch, they managed to find a small village named Verley. A rather unremarkable village that only exports crops to the other villages scattered throughout the region. The village elder was kind enough to inform Cécilia about the villages that he knew were still active and trading with others. After a safe lunch, the company continued marching forward.

Goblin Event.png
(Random Event: 1d20 = 9) During the afternoon, as the sun was going down, the party was suddenly ambushed by a party of "Long-Nose Goblins", an ethnicity of Goblins common in the Northwest. Best known for using bolas, slings and rocks as projectiles, the goblins try to use the hills on their advantage and pepper them with projectiles. (Event Result: 1d20 = 2) The goblins do not manage to injure anyone in the party, at least, not seriously injure anyone. Several of you have bruises and small cuts around your bodies, they were nothing serious but they still hurt a bit. At least none of you got a purple eye like Pepin did. (Everyone receives 1 damage.)

The night of the second day was uneventful, everyone was too tired but not in a bad way. A few songs were shared and everyone cheered as Devy performed one of his most intricate songs. Everyone went to sleep early.

It was the Third Day of travelling and this did not start well. A creature known as a Kroner in Western Helmos seemingly sneaked its way from a nearby lake and into the camp. It didn't hurt anyone and it appeared to be an infant Kroner. Still, it spooked everyone in the company. Things went a bit better afterwards, the marching was less harsh and more pleasant.

(Random Event: 1d20 = 7) A few hours before lunch, one of the company warriors, Céline, noticed something in a nearby copse. She shouted for Cécilia and the other members of the main company to check it, the company was surprised to find some sort of ancient Swadi cairn. It was rather well hidden and covered in moss and bushes. Cécilia couldn't believe her eyes! She quickly ordered those in the main party to delve into the new dungeon. (Event Result: 1d20 = 13) Luckily, the cairn was rather small and it did not have evil undead or some wild creature. However, there was also a lack of actual treasure, most of the items buried alongside the dead in the cairn were ceremonial items, expertly crafted items but made with weaker materials and broken down gems. While these items have some value for scholars and collectors, they'd more useful in the hands of Cécilia.

The rest of the day and night went smoothly. Except for dinner, the fighter in charge of cooking tonight, Ghislain, put a bit too much cilantro to the dinner. Needless to say, the stew tasted more like soap.

It was the Fourth Day of travelling and it started way better than yesterday. Due to the bad dinner, Alberto wanted everyone to have a proper breakfast. Alongside the mug of tea, the old bread and the berries, the company received some cheese, bacon, eggs and dry onion. An enjoyable breakfast that filled everyone with energy! The company was now several hours away from their destination but much closer than before. Pepin believes that the party would arrive to Waterham in at least 5 hours. During the travel there, the company arrived to a small village of the name of Baltion. That's when the party saw a few Hobs, but they were culturally more related to Eranoiran humans than to the Hobs in Waterham.

Rusalka.jpg
(Random Event: 1d20 = 6) After having lunch near a forest, a group of fighters come rushing in towards Alberto, speaking about Konstantin, one the fighters on the company and how he went missing around a lake nearby. Without any hesitation, Alberto follows the men towards where Konstantin was last seen. (Event Result: 1d20 = 14) Korzhev, Syll and Petro follow as well. The party looks for nearly an hour and everyone fears the worst, that was until Korzhev was able to detect the magical presense of an entity he was familiar with, walking away from the others for a bit, the old frog was able to see what it was - a woman was looking at him from the lagoon. Westerners call these creatures "Sirens" but both Easterners and Vodyanovs refer to these temptresses as "Rusalkas". Strange fae that lure men and women into the cold waters to keep them as toys.

The creature then tried to lure Korzhev into the water with the same old tricks, but the old frog has none of it and wacks the creature with his staff, knocking her out. Without wasting any time, Korzhev calls for Syll and Petro, before jumping into the murky water to find the missing fighter. With ease, the shaman finds the adventurer and frees him from the magical bindings holding him under the water. Syll then jumps into the water to help Korzhev and Konstantin get to the surface quickly and Petro, using his Minotavur strength, pulls the three men with ease. It was a miracle that Konstantin was still alive, it appeared that the Rusalka had casted some sort of foul hex or spell to allow him to breathe under water and it seems it genuinely wanted to keep the poor Hamalan warrior trapped underwater forever.

Several hours after that event, the party was nearing their destination. Signs pointing to Waterham were appearing on the road. Everyone was rather happy that they were nearing the city. Cécilia was more than happy, because now she has time to write down about the history of Waterham in great detail to add to her book. Perhaps she could gather some useful information about other settlements as well? "Ah... we are just a few minutes away from the Onion City... It's been a couple of stressful days, eh?" she asks while her familiar rests on top of Grunde's head. Alberto, who was a bit tired, nodded while he caressed his wizened beard. "Aye... but at least we didn't have to fight anything and none of uses died, that's always a positive." He then looked at the carriage transporting the main party. "Everything okay in there? We are nearing Waterham! I hope you are ready to be called funny names by short people!"

Zen

ah-choo!

A few rather uneventful days had passed and Zen started to getting a bit more comfortable in the expedition. No, getting hit with a rock thrown by goblins wasn't enough for Zen to consider it as eventful. During these past few days Zen had been avoiding Kastalli, ever since that night he felts awkward around her so he usually hide or fly to another spot whenever she's around. The tengu was aware of this and was thinking hard on how to apologize properly. No, that impulsive apology he blurted out wasn't a proper apology. He wanted something more impactful!

As usual, he was perching on top of the carriage when the sign to Waterham emerged in the horizon. He didn't show it on his face but he was happy they finally reached their first destination.

"Ha. Funny name is my middle name! Oyabu- I mean my former father used to call me Zen-chan. None of the midget's calling will affect me!" Zen replied to Sir Alberto's words with overflowing confidence, almost like he was trying to brag about an achievement.

[Several Days Later...]

Sitting atop his trusty Saadah, Dakarai was relieved that they were finally approaching Waterham. Despite the notable events that temporarily halted them within the last few days - from repelling a goblin raid, exploring a ceremonial cairn (where he dared not to potentially anger the dead and their respected gods), and the Rusalka event - everyone survived the trip with only a few bruises and scratches at worst. Her Grace had seemed to cast upon the group a favorable journey thus far. Perhaps the Sobekan's nightly prayer was enough to stave away the worse of what the world had to offer - especially with that infant Kroner they encountered on the dawn of the third day. He knew little of what they were, but judging by the others' dreadful reactions and what some already knew, he considered them lucky to have avoided contact with an adult specimen.

In the meantime, Dakarai had time to get situated as one of the new commanders of the expedition. He was still not completely used to the title, however he was slowly adjusting to the lifestyle. Despite this the cleric kept more to himself compared to most, however he no doubt enjoyed the brief times where he socialized with the others. He shared a few stories of his past, mention some words of wisdom, and comforted any other travelers who were in visible distress via homesickness.

While the Sobekan made sure everyone was getting along smoothly, he did continue to keep an especially close eye on the interactions of both Commander Gawain and Gsera. From what he had seen, they seemed to be keeping their distance and not engaging with one another violently. So as long as they could coexist without breaking peace, the cleric was content.

All this was enough to keep his mind off the worries of Her Grace for the majority of their journey thus far.

"Thank Her Grace." Dakarai sighed as he patted Saadah's back, "We better make sure to restock on supplies once we're there; food and drinks especially."

Last edited:
On their way to Waterham, the company came across quite few interesting creatures. Stone throwing goblins two days in, one of which having managed to hit him in the back of his head. Korzhev wished for them to trip on some ledge in turn. A Kroner on the next day and exploring a cairn. Nothing that’s been brought out of was of any use to him so he did not complain when it was decided that Cécilia will take them. On the fourth day, they had come a Rusalka who had taken on of their fighters hostage, Konstantin. Once the Rusalka had been properly dealt with and the fighter was came back to his senses, he’d patted him on the back, chuckling.

“I say you stick to miss Kastalli’s music. Devy’s also. Why, they are far better singers by leaps and bounds! Remember, if the singing’s not coming from camp, don’t follow it, yes? Unless you want to end up as entertainment for water dwellers!”

The journey had been quite pleasant to him otherwise. He spent his evenings trying to steer oblivious fighters away from poisonous plants, pointing others towards herbs with medicinal properties, made the occasional brew.

He was walking alongside a carriages when he’d finally spotted the city. Korzhev briefly wondered if he might come across some actual alcohol around there. The stuff he’d had back in Eran had been good, but far too light for his tastes. Although he was contemplating what he was currently in need of buying, he didn’t miss Alberto’s comment on the folk they were bound to encounter once they arrived at Waterham.

"Hah! We shall see if they can come with something more creative than my nephews!”

It was the fourth day of the expedition and for the most part it had been a peaceful journey. At one point they were surprised by long nose goblins which rained down stones on them, and it certainly wasn't a pleseant experience, and just a few hours ago Syll had to jump into a lake to save one of his comrades from a Rusalka, which was the reason why he was only wearing his braies and covered with a linen towel as he waited for his clothes to dry. But even then such events were minor compared to a large bandit raid.

For the last few days Syllannan had spent his free time not much unlike he had done before joining the company: physical workout, magic training, some reading and a bit of meditation. He had to continue growing if he wanted to be of proper aid to his companions. Yet he also added a new passtime to his routine: conversating with his fellow travelers! plenty of folks to talk to in this caravan. He enjoyed talking to those of both close and far off lands and learning about their cultures, as well as sharing some bits of his own place.

Hearing that they were nearing Waterham, Syll decided to check on his clothes. Fortunately they were almost completely dry, so he quickly put them on while hiding under his towel, it was somewhat embarassing to wear so little in public, but wearing soaked clothes was not a good idea.

"I wonder how long we're staying in the city, if we're given enough days i could set up the alchemy set and get some potions going" Said Syll as he approached the front of the carriage, to take a look at the distant city.

Zen said:
"Ha. Funny name is my middle name! Oyabu- I mean my former father used to call me Zen-chan. None of the midget's calling will affect me!"

From a nearby carriage could be herd the thick Brannorian accent of Theodoric, who chuckled at Zen's confidence. "Funny you call them midget, when you are pretty short yerself, friend!" A few other adventurers marching alongside the carts laughed as well. "I once went to Waterham and the little bastards are quick to find any defect. I swear they've called me every name that there is out there." said Sigbert while marching past Theodoric and Zen. "Heh, little buggers might have sharp tongues but Zen at least has sharp blades!" said Theodoric while giving a thumbs up to Zen.

Dakarai said:
"About time. We better make sure to restock on supplies once we're there; food and drinks especially."

Alberto nodded as he continued to stroke his beard. "Indeed, we are well supplied but we clearly didn't plan on some fronts... I should have noticed it when we left that we have a severe lack of alcoholic spirits." Cécilia rolled her eyes and looked at Grunde with a little smirk on her face. "Oh the alcohol... true shame, is it not?" she said with a sarcastic tone. "Heh... besides that, we do need more medical supplies, there's only so much Blood Leaf in our stocks and I don't want Korzhev and Syll to start using from their own supply." As Dakarai was about to speak again, another horse joined the front of the caravan, it was that weird Hedge Knight, riding a white stallion. "What about Potions?" asked the hedge knight, which only made Alberto sigh. "We will stock on some more potions Ser Justin."

Korzhev said:
"Hah! We shall see if they can come with something more creative than my nephews!”

Before the weird Hedge Knight could speak again, Korzhev implied that he had been given plenty of names numerous times before by his nephews, which Alberto figured there must be many of them. "Heh, I have grand children and they call me plenty of names as well... still, Waterhamerites are truly... something else in the way they talk to others, it's almost like that cannot stop being passive aggressive."

Syllannan said:
"I wonder how long we're staying in the city, if we're given enough days i could set up the alchemy set and get some potions going"

Cécilia turned around to look at Syll, giving him a friendly smile. "For a few days actually, I want to write down a few things for my book. So I'll go around learning about the history of the city... I mean, it's the only micro-state of Western Helmos, I believe that is something quite important!"

Gsera had a few days to mull over Dakarai's words as the group ventured further towards their next destination of Waterham, and was often mulling over those words in a bid to try to reconcile what she believed in with how she could even tolerate Gawain's own magics. It was a very difficult task, but time did help as she slowly managed to properly get over it... at least for the time being as she pushed it to the back of her mind. She enjoyed speaking with Kastalli, Sentry, and others as the group moved on and went through a few events that the group had to get through. Thankfully during the attack by the goblins there weren't any serious injuries that needed tending to, but she felt her own shoulder be sore from a thrown rock one of the creatures had lobbed at and hit her with.

And now, they were very close to reaching their second destination and Gsera couldn't be more than excited to see yet another new place she had never been in before. She overheard Cécilia call it the 'Onion City', which piqued her interest and she quickly interjected: "Why is it called an 'onion city'?" Gsera said aloud.

Last edited:
The last few days were eventful for the expedition as the bandit attack was only a sudden stop, but the events were not hard enough to force them to stop. Sentry did not keep a journal, but she did remember some of what happened non the less.

She turned to stone as soon as the goblins made their presence known. The little runts pelted them with rocks from on high, to her it was quite the nuisance even if her stone skin helped absorb any serious hits. She chucked one large stone at them as they fled. "You better run you little shites! If I wasn't busy with this duty, I'd be climbing up there to turn paint your lairs red!" The night was more agreeable as Devy sang a song that soothed any heart.

The following morning, she awoke to the kroner wondering about. Her first instinct was to fight the creature, but soon enough she recognized that it was harmless and likely had gotten lost. No reason to worry then. Then as they discovered the cairn, she dared to hope. Even though it was impossible, she hoped that there would be something like a clue, but it was not to be. Instead she looked among the artifacts and the markings. Another old tribe of people swallowed by someone else. Another culture potentially lost forever. Only broken things remained. For the rest of the day she was rather distant, focusing on her work and nothing else.

The incident with the rusalka just made her shake her head. Every adventure has one of those it seemed. Konstantin was extremely lucky that the master frog was there. But all that was now behind them as they neared their first destination on this journey.

"Are we expected to trade barbs with them or should we smile and nod as they practice their wits?"

When Grunde learned that it was going to be a part of an adventure with a company this big, idly walking for days were not the first thing that came to its mind. Though, the goblins that ambushed them on the second day did provide the slime some kind of entertainment. Grunde almost let out a laugh but quickly hid it behind a smile as it watched soldiers with renown and experienced adventurers alike trip and fall, some cursing the goblins with words that'll make bandits blush, while the stones simply bounced off Grunde's body harmlessly. But soon after, they were back to lazily trekking the land once more.

The third day was interrupted by a Kroner suddenly appearing out of nowhere near camp. As the others took a step back in caution, Grunde offered the creature a small wave like it did to all the wild horses and herds of deer it meets, but just like the horses and deer, the Kroner promptly ignored the slime. The members of the company are in for a treat because while it's a rare sight to see a slime with consciousness, it's rarer to see a slime pout, which Grunde did. The slime swears that one day it'll make some animal come approach it even if it's the last thing it'll do. While the slime's mood was still down from the previous Kroner encounter, the appearance of a Swadi cairn interrupted their journey and Grunde's sulking. Finally, finally, Grunde can stretch its limbs and as per usual, the others can literally see its insides bubbling up with excitement. Dungeons were a staple in every adventure and from the many journals the slime had read before, it expected traps, zombies, magical artefacts, and piles-of-gold-that-you-really-can't-carry. With all of that in mind, the slime entered the dungeon and left it feeling... disappointed.

On the fourth day, Grunde is absolutely bored out of it's mind. Something is bound to happen with a party this big. And by something, Grunde didn't mean rock throwing goblins nor 'dungeons' filled with more dust than treasure. Luckily, or unluckily for some members of the company, fate seemed to prepare the worst at the end as they were lured into the waters. The slime accompanied the others as they approached the lake to find a siren singing their tune, which Grunde admits, is quite pleasing to the ears. But the siren's song didn't last long as Korzhev handled the situation swiftly. The slime should feel bad for the members that were taken under, but there's something comedic about Korzhev knocking the siren with his staff that made the slime chuckle, and at the end of the day, nobody was grievously hurt anyways.

The rest of the journey was spent by walking, resting, more walking, less resting, and finally, they walked more until they're almost at their destination. Suppressing a yawn, Grunde reached on top of him to gently grab Cécilia's familar to hug it instead as Cécilia and Ser Alberto briefed the company on what to expect and what to do. For some reason the fae were the only one who openly approached the slime, not that Grunde is complaining. Apparently they'll be staying in the city for quite some time, basing from Cécilia's reply to Syll. The slime will probably just follow Cécilia inside the jar the entire time hidden away from sharp tongues and mouth filled with insults, if what the other said about Waterham and it's inhabitants were true.

Last edited:
"Why is it called an 'onion city'?"

Syllannan approached Sera who was in doubt about the nickname. Fortunately He was well informed about the city since Aellgan and Waterham have a history of trade and tourism.

"Well you see, Onions have a rich history and a vital role in the city. Waterham is filled with expansive and fertile farmlands where they grow countless onions every year, so onion exportation is the main source of income for the city. They also just generally really enjoy onions, it is very enrooted in their culinary culture. In fact there is a well known tale of an Eranoiran traveling chef who arrived at Waterham and shared the methods to make the famous Eranoiran onion soup. He ended up becoming one of the most beloved outsiders in the history of the city, and the dish is now a staple there"

Syll's explanation was both interesting and disappointing at the same time to Gsera, as for the latter she thought that it would be for a more... interesting reason. But still, she smiled and gave a nod to the half-elf in response: "I see! Back home, we have a great many things we use for food. Though it would be funny if home were called the 'Mushroom Woods' because of how much its eaten by all of us, haha!" she joked before stretching her arms upwards and yawning.

"Speaking of food... is it only onions they have there? I could use a bit of meat in my belly!"

"oh far from it! as much as Waterhamians could love their onions, it is never eaten by itself. They also consume plenty of red meat and cheese, and as for other vegetables they also tend to grow carrots, potatoes, cabbages and parsnips" as he mentioned the multiple ingredients, Syll could feel his stomach rumbling.

"Well curse me and my big mouth, i could really have some lamb chops right now!"

Petro was quite glad they rescued the poor man from the sirens, and that he didn't have to risk getting too close to the water himself. While his height and stature made any shallows easily traversable, deeper water wasn't fun on account of his hooves. Swimming was not so easy, nor was sinking in mud fun. But with the fellow back among them and the march continuing, the days passed well enough, with only a few curious hiccups here and there.

As they approached Waterham, Petro wondered how much water and pork they would find there, though he became dubious listening to the tale on how the city was also known as the Onion City. If that was the case, he would have called it Onion Town or something. Waterham seemed like false advertising to him. Maybe these unruly inhabitants did that on purpose.

"I hope they have plenty of milk," he mused aloud.

The last few days of travel were certainly eventful yet not all too consequential to the wizard. Gawain offered his expertise where it was needed when it came to matters the company needed his assistance, weighing in on the siren situation before it was promptly resolved by the interventions of Korzhev, Syll, and Petro. Beyond him checking up on his skeletal thralls after the unpleasant rock bombardment there weren't any significant developments in his studies. The skeletal mage hadn't been able to find any traces of Magi civilization on their travels thus far, yet he was keeping a fervent watch for familiar details pertaining to that.

"Hm, I haven't had to eat a single thing since my affliction. I'm at the stage where I forget that food is even something one can find themselves craving." Gawain says as he walks not too far from Syll. "I don't miss it, frankly. A lot of time is spent wasted on such things when you think about it." His hands are kept behind his back as he surveys the area, knowing that they were close to Waterham and would be entering at any moment. He wasn't looking forward to being insulted by a bunch of ignorant short folk, though Gawain wasn't so thin-skinned that he would let it leave any lasting impressions. Just like with everything else he would just have to be patient.

"Yet by all means, resupply, drink, eat, be merry. Live and celebrate while you still can - clearly that time has passed for me at this point." Gawain said kindly despite the magical distortion to his voice. "The journey is only beginning after all, there is still much work to be done and discoveries to be made..!"

"Oho! You know much about Waterham, maybe you'll have to help a stranger to this city like myself find a rack of lamb for herself as well." Gsera teased in a playful manner to Syll while entirely ignoring Gawain's words and even his existence. If she couldn't do anything about the problem she could at least pretend it didn't exist right before her. She then turned her attention to Sentry's remarks and was confused as to what she meant: "How do you mean by wits?" she asked, "Are the people of the city devious?"

Sentry said:
"Are we expected to trade barbs with them or should we smile and nod as they practice their wits?"
Gsera said:
"How do you mean by wits? Are the people of the city devious?"

Alberto chuckled a bit at Sera's question. "Devious? No, not at all my friend... the Hobs are just... uh..." While thinking what to say next, a fighter, Magneric, who was walking next to the carriage was quick to give his honest opinion. "...they are just assholes." Cécilia actually snorted out loud as she tried to contain her laughter, Alberto simply shaked his head while smiling. "I mean I was trying to be less rude about it but yeah... Waterhamerite Hobs are judgmental and rather xenophobic... they don't like outsiders, even less if they are not Hobs."

Paulin, who was sitting near Devy in one of the nearby carriages, was quick to give his opinion. "Then if they are assholes and they don't like other people... why are we going there then? Y-you... are not exactly selling a positive image, Ser Knight." Alberto actually agreed with Paulin, nodding sagely as he continued to scratch his beard. "Aye, I sure ain't helping them eh? but like Syll said, Waterham is a wondrous city full of hard working people... Hobs are mean and distrustful because throughout history, their people have been abused by other races and Kindoms. When their tribes were destroyed by a the weakened Martorian Empire, they wanted to start anew, away from the southern kingdoms, only to get into trouble with the northern and western ones."

Cécilia nodded as she heard the old knight. She wondered how the old Hobs at the time must have felt, besieged on all sides by people who wanted to enslave you. Must have been traumatic. "...to them... Waterham is sacred. The Hobs united to create something to keep them safe... to them, the outside world represents not only danger... but also reminds them of a dark time in their history." There was an awkward silence for a moment as Alberto and Cécilia thought about the history of the Hobs. "Yup... heh, well... to answer you lady Sentry... as long as you are not insulting a constable or the sheriff, you'll be fine."

Petrocles said:
"I hope they have plenty of milk."

Paulin, who wasn't that far from Petro, nodded in agreement. "O-oh yeah I could use some milk... I really like milk but you uhm... you are... cow person so I imagine you must really really like milk then?" Hrongar the Dvërgr warrior, who was near where Sentry was sitting added with a smile on his face. "I've drank Minotavur milk before... delicious stuff that soothes the spirit." Everyone in the vicinity of the carriage turned their heads at Hrongar.

Gawain said:
"Yet by all means, resupply, drink, eat, be merry. Live and celebrate while you still can - clearly that time has passed for me at this point. The journey is only beginning after all, there is still much work to be done and discoveries to be made..!"

A few members of the company turned their attention to Gawain, who revealed that he could be quite merry if he wanted to, surprising some of the warriors in the company. "Heh, who says it's too late for ya bone head?" said Theodoric before biting a raw onion. "Mhm... y-you know, you should play poker with us, Zen is quite good!" It was rather uncomfortable to watch the man talking and chewing the onion while also pointing at the Tengu with his free hand. "Fucking Hel Theodoric, cover your bloody mouth... still, would be nice if you talked more during the dinner, Master Undead... Most of the company... well, fear you." said one of the archer, Clarisse.

"And perhaps for good reason..." Gawain twitched a bit as he heard Edgar's voice in his head again. "...if only they knew you can get them killed like most of your assistants. I feel bad for the half-elf boy that looks forward to learn from you. He's certainly losing a limb if you teach him something."

Gawain might not have missed the mortal pleasures of eating food or consuming drink, but Edgar's comment just then had him wish he still had eyes to properly roll so that he could convey how he felt about that comment. The apprentices he lost were numerous tragedies in their own right, though most of their accidental demises could have been avoided had they possessed a bit more sense. It's not much of a research expedition if he had to constantly watch the movements of his students at every waking moment, that would make it more of a blind guided tour...

Still, he couldn't rightly comment on it without seeming mad since he was the only one at present that could hear the lich. So he elected to reply to the company members that had gotten his attention. "Fear me? Well that's somewhat saddening to hear." he replies with a roll of his shoulders. While doing something like playing poker wasn't his cup of tea, it may prove to be a good time-sink if he cannot properly find anything relevant to study on some nights. "I suppose it is only natural, as it is in our nature to fear what we do not understand. It is just one of our many deeply rooted survival instincts after all, so I can't reasonably take offense. That said, I am more than happy to educate those of you that are afraid of me, especially given that my position in the company has been... elevated recently. I am pretty terrible at cards, though there's no harm in me participating in a game or two." The irony of him being bad at poker even now that he possessed the greatest poker face in the realm was completely lost on him.

Last edited:
"Ah..." Gsera muttered as the explanation of the Hobs was delivered, "Then... then we'll just have to try our hardest to make friends with them!" Gsera then spoke up with a large grin on her face and her fist raised high in pre-emptive triumph. She was confident that no matter how hardened a heart may be they could also be made to open up again and this was exemplified in her happy demeanor at the moment as optimism was high.

"Careful lass." Sentry patted Sera on the head "You don't want to open up to a bunch of rude ankle-biters too much."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back