Tech Word Processor

Jackstack

I was watching a Conan interview with R.R Martin, and Martin said that he still used Word Star 4.0 for writing most of his books. What word processor do you guys use? I use google docs because I prefer the saving system google has. I've tried the "Distraction Free" word processors, and I think it's a good concept. The problem for me with those types of word processors is that they're not really distraction "free" and they were usually just symptom of when I just had writer's block.

Google docs and Scrivener.

Google docs are usually for work and roleplays because I can access them anywhere.

Scrivener is mostly for writing multi-chapter stories/novels. Because it's a godsend when you need to organize a lot of info in one place. You can have folders for research info, character profiles and folder for every chapter, lots of templates... I used it for rp for a while but then switched go Google docs, since I needed quick access from various devices.

I never actually tried those 'distraction-free' ones. Unless you count JotterPad? I used it on my mobile devices for a bit but then decided that Google docs is just more convenient. The only thing JotterPad does it better is that you can write offline, so if I don't have internet access on mobile for whatever reason I use that one.

Google docs and Scrivener.

Google docs are usually for work and roleplays because I can access them anywhere.

Scrivener is mostly for writing multi-chapter stories/novels. Because it's a godsend when you need to organize a lot of info in one place. You can have folders for research info, character profiles and folder for every chapter, lots of templates... I used it for rp for a while but then switched go Google docs, since I needed quick access from various devices.

I never actually tried those 'distraction-free' ones. Unless you count JotterPad? I used it on my mobile devices for a bit but then decided that Google docs is just more convenient. The only thing JotterPad does it better is that you can write offline, so if I don't have internet access on mobile for whatever reason I use that one.
I tried word grinder for the distraction free, and it wasn't the right solution to my problem.

Notepad or plain old word. Usually notepad. If it was easier to downgrade word to the '07 version I'd use that.

word document and google docs for me. It depends on what I'm working on and how long I suspect it will take.

I just use good old fashioned Microsoft word. No fancy stuff. Do use google docs if required for a character sheet.

Libreoffice Writer (so, basically Word, but for cheap people).

But I always start off writing in notepad- for short stories or replies to role plays I'll write the entire thing there, and then copy to wherever they need to be. If something winds up being multi-chaptered or gets too long, then I'll move it to Word so that I can read it back more easily, but... old habits die hard.

Probably because I don't have it on fullscreen, and it's less intimidating than the huge expanse of white you get from more elaborate document programs. If I've already written a lot, then it's not off-putting, so I'll stay in Writer and add more to it there. If I'm stuck on something I'll open up a clean notepad page, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back