Other Winging it! RPing WITHOUT a predetermined plot?! :O

I think there are people who see RP as a game of improvisation, and there are also people who see RP as a collaborative writing exercise. Personally I tend more towards the latter and enjoy the process of worldbuilding, plotting, and planning while also leaving room for some improvisation. So I don't want to know every detail of the story but I want to know what drives the story, what goals the characters have, and the reasons for events occurring even if those reasons aren't revealed immediately.

If the sandbox doesn't have a few castles for me to look at, I get overwhelmed and have a hard time figuring out what I want to build with that sand. That is to say, if things are too open and improvised it actually stifles my creativity because I am more confident writing when I have an idea about the setting, characters, and the stories unfolding.

I think it can depend a lot on the medium used to write stories.

I originally RPed on Twitter and all I ever did was sandbox! I started out with just a pretty picture, a couple words in the bio, and then post multiple tweet starters, with everything else just in my head. Eventually, when my writing grew, I started creating detailed character sheets, but all of my interactions would still be totally random. If anyone ever did try to plot a storyline with others, it would almost always fizzle out.

But here on RpN, I can't participate in a sandbox story to save my life! ? I'm definitely like you and need some structure.

Gotta say that I am the man with a plan. I don't like rushing into a roleplay without some kinda idea of what to expect. It is extremely disappointing to jump into a roleplay thinking you're going to be a pirate doing all the things pirates do and suddenly find yourself dueling aliens.

That doesn't mean I want everything handed to me like a movie script, but I definitely prefer having some solid bones to work with when jumping into an RP.

I mean, for the most part...back when i actively RPed, it was almost always a "wing it" scenario. While i see great arguments for both sides, it ultimately comes down to ones own preferences and tolerances.

Unfortunately, i can't really speak on the matter as i havent RPed in ages....unsure of why i stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back